• Published 10th Oct 2022
  • 504 Views, 9 Comments

My Little Pony: One as a Family. "Trials of Friendship" - SaburoDaimando



One month after the events of Life in Canterlot, Wanda will undergo new hardships, including having to separate from friends.

  • ...
18
 9
 504

PreviousChapters Next
Arc 1-2: Cinch's Carefree Fillyhood

Author's Note:

Note: While I have written this fanfiction in the 3rd person, I will be writing this and the next part in the 1st person, as if Chancellor Abacus Cinch was telling this tale not just to Wanda and Sunset, but also to the audience.

Cinch’s Carefree Fillyhood

“Now Little Abby. You promise to do what your big sister Fizzlepop Berrytwist said. And make sure you’re back at the castle by the time my sister has lowered the sun completely. Do you understand me?”

Those words came from my adopted aunt Princess Luna. She and Princess Celestia have looked over me since I lost my family two years ago to that day. While Princess Celestia was a cheerful parent who looked after my well-being, Princess Luna was very protective. As for me, I felt as if I had almost become my former self again since the fire. But I vowed not to let her down, or let mother Celestia down.

“I won’t, Aunt Woona,” I said to the alicorn of the moon in the most determined and naive tone possible. “I promise you that I won’t.”

“Luna,” Princess Celestia said as she walked up to her sister and myself. “You know that Cinch is only allowed to be within the city limits and the town, nearby.”

“I know,” Aunt Luna said. “But the wildlife lately has been getting out of control. And I’m hoping they both remain safe during their playtime.”

“You’re not talking about the bigger creatures like the rocs or the chimeras,” Princess Celestia said, which caused me to shake a little in fear.

“If I was, I would recommend against sending the little ones out into the field,” Princess Luna said, which gave me some relief.

I suddenly heard a voice behind me. I turned and there was my older filly sister, Fizzlepop Berrytwist. Her coat was dark like a purple raspberry and her mane was shaped into a mohawk with a darker tone of dragonfruit. But I still recognize my sister. A smug pony who kept me going strong for the last two years since I lost my family.

“Come on, Abby,” Fizzie yelled as she waved her hoof at me. “We don’t have all day, you know.”

I was anxious to run up to my sister and run through the streets of Canterlot just to enjoy the day like every filly and colt would. But I was also scared, especially with what Princess Luna said.

“Go on, Abby,” Princess Celestia said to me with a sweet, gentle tone. “You don’t want to keep Fizzie waiting.”

Those words gave me a hint of courage in my soul. I mustered it all up and ran up towards my sister. We had a playful clap with our hooves together, showing a sign of our sisterhood. We giggled and clapped before we readied ourselves.

“So here’s the plan sis,” Fizzie said to me. “We’ll run through the streets and say hello to the ponies of Canterlot. Afterwards, we’ll break for some milkshakes at the Canterlot Ice Cream Parlor and just enjoy the sights. Then you get to decide on what to do next.”

“Deal,” I said with glee.

“Then let’s go,” Fizzie said as the both of us took off through the castle gates, ready to face the day ahead.

We ran down the streets of Canterlot, laughing as if we didn’t have a care in the world. We greeted each pony with a warm smile as we continued our journey through the city limits. Many ponies back then were friendly in a way where you not only knew everyone, but also it was a far pleasant place to be in.

I waved towards the city folk who enjoyed their day in this beautiful city, while Fizzlepop continued to run through the street, showing off some of her skills with both her magic and her legs. Yes, back then, Fizzlepop loved to leap into the air, showing off to the ponies of Canterlot with her aerobics combined with her magic.

“Hey Abby,” Fizzie said as she landed on her four hooves and she looked like she was ready to pull something phenomenal off. “Get a load of this.”

I came to a stop the moment Fizzlepop spoke to me. I knew that Fizzie enjoyed leaping into the air as if she were some kind of pegasus, or an alicorn. I just stood there, watching in anticipation before Fizzlepop leaped into the air. The horn on her head glowed brightly, surrounding my sister in a warm light. She flew around in the skies of Canterlot with just her magic. My jaw dropped at the mere sight of a pony that could fly without wings, much less my older sister.

“Hey Abby,” Fizzie yelled as she was showing off in the air. “Can you fly like I can?”

Now, I knew a lot about magic during my time at the School for Gifted Unicorns. But I did not have as advanced a pedigree compared to Fizzie. But still, I gave it a shot. I tried to levitate myself in the air using only my magic. I only got two feet off the ground as the magic surrounded me. But unlike Fizzie, I couldn’t keep myself properly in the air, much less slightly off the ground.

When I lost my focus, I landed tummy-first on the ground. Some of the other citizens gathered around me either asking if I was okay or trying to help me up. Though I still remembered what happened with my family two years ago on that day, I was a tough filly and I didn’t waste my time getting myself up. As I got up, Fizzie flew down towards me, and I knew she cared alot for my well-being.

“Sis, are you alright?” Fizzie asked me.

“I’m fine,” I said. “I guess flying without magic isn’t for me.”

I know I was trying to be the realist. But Fizzlepop Berrytwist was the determinator. She told me “It takes a lot of practice to learn how to fly without magic. One day, I should spend some time so I could help you master the ability of flying without magic.”

That was Fizzie in a nutshell. No matter what problem I had gone under, she always had my back, keeping me hoisted up so that I could keep going. I smiled and giggled at my friend, with the knowledge that she would be by my side until I was a fully-grown mare.

"Come on," I said to my older sister. "Where should we head next?"

"Take a guess," Fizzie said with a smirk on her face.

"Oh right," I said with an embarrassing tone. "Great Apple's applestand."

"Come on," She said. "I heard that Great Apple brought his daughter with us."

Fizzlepop turned around and took off in a hurry. I knew she was excited to see Great Apple. So without a second thought, I ran after my older sister, hoping to catch up.

It didn’t take us long to arrive at Great Apple’s apple stand in Canterlot, located within the middle of the city. There was Great Apple, a bright red stallion with a yellow-orangish mane similar to Bright Mac’s son Big Mac. He had been selling his fresh produce since early this morning. Hungry customers gathered around to buy everything he had, from his freshly picked fruit, to the cider and pastries that he and his family made.

We ran up to the famous apple farmer, yelling and screaming his name, hoping to catch his attention. And sure enough, he knew where to look.

“Abby, Fizzie,” Great Apple yelled as we ran up to his apple stand. “I was hoping when you two would show up today.”

“Just came here to say hi, Mr Apple,” I said with a gleeful tone.

“Well it’s always a pleasure to see the two Princesses of Equestria come up to my apple stand for a visit,” Great Apple said with a tip of his hat.

“Me? A Princess?” Fizzlepop said. “When I grow up, I’m abandoning my title of Princess and want to be an adventurer.”

I’ve known Fizzie since Princess Celestia adopted me. She had more of the heart of an adventurer and less of wanting to rule over a kingdom. Fizzie wanted to go see the world when she grew up. She wanted to see the beauty of it all with her very eyes. And back then, a part of me wanted to follow in her hoofsteps, partially because it sounded like something for me, and partially to get away from the pain the death of my family had caused me.

“I’m with you on that,” I said to Fizzie. But before I could speak more, Great Apple had something else to say.

“To see the whole world?” Great Apple laughed. “Now that is something that I wanted to do when I was a little colt. I wanted to see beyond the farm of my namesake and beyond Harvestia. To help feed the hungry stallions and mares, fillies and colts, and beyond. And I did just that with my father. But now, I just want to take it easy and sell my wares here with me and my family. Especially my daughter, Granny Smith.”

Back then, I thought it was silly for a stallion like Great Apple to settle down in one place to be boring. But when I looked back at his words, they had some sort of meaning to it. Like you found the perfect place to settle down and live out your life to the fullest. But those words escaped Fizzlepop Berrytwist, who’s excitement just went up after hearing that name.

“Did you say Granny Smith?” she said. I heard that name, but never met the pony before.

“I sure did,” Great Apple replied. “In fact, she should be coming up any time now.”

No sooner does Great Apple finish his sentence do we hear someone yell out “HEY PA!” We turned our heads to see Granny Smith walk up to the stand. Back then, she was already a teenager, making her older than either me or Fizzie. But she was full of energy and had an adventurous heart.

“Pa,” Granny Smith yelled as she pulled in a cart full of apples. “Sorry for being late. I’ve had ponies wanting my merchandise.”

Great Apple laughed with a merry chuckle as he called out “It’s alright, little Granny Smith. Come up and I’ll unload the apples for you.”

We stood back as Granny Smith came up to the apple stand with a cart full of apples. Great Apple walked up towards the stand and wasted no time pulling out each basket full of the delicious fruit. While Great Apple was unloading, Granny Smith walked up to the both of us. It was the first time we saw her in person. She was already a teenager, older than a filly, but younger than a mare.

“Hey,” Granny Smith said to us. “Pa told me about you two. You’re both the Princesses of Equestria, correct?”

“Princess?” Fizzie said with a smirk on her face. “Soon to be ex-Princess when I’m grown up. I’m Fizzlepop Berrywist. And this here is my faithful sister, Abacus Cinch.”

Back then, while I was ecstatic to see those who I was familiar with, I was rather shy with new faces. I barely tipped my head away from Granny Smith as I said with a small meek voice “Hi.”

“Are you alright?” Granny Smith said to me. “You sound like you’re afraid of me.”

I swallowed hard and said “Yes.”

“Now don’t you worry,” Granny Smith said. “I promise I won’t be harsh on ya.”

“I think there’s more to her than you may realize,” Fizzie said, having approached Granny Smith while staying near me. “She lost a family two years ago, and she is a bit shy and bashful.”

“It’s true,” Great Apple replied. “The Cinch family were good friends of ours. That accident that happened two years ago left this one homeless and us without a partner.”

“Oh dear,” the younger Granny Smith said, taken aback by what my sister said. “I’m terribly sorry. No youngling deserves to lose a family and be like that. Is there anything I can do to help out?”

I know that she was trying to be friendly and help out. But I was still afraid of her, compared to her father, Great Apple. I barely peaked my head out from behind my sister and got a glance at Granny Smith when I heard a voice that made me hide behind Fizzie again.

“Oh why ask for the help of a simple farmer’s daughter when I can help you out, dear?” That voice, despite being pleasant, belonged to Creme Dream, who long ago was the Chancellor of Equestria. Back then, I was afraid of her. Horrified at even looking at her face. Even in spite of her cheerful tone, something about her just felt off to me. Well more to the fact that her voice sounded like me today, except lighter in tone and more optimistic.

“Chancellor Creme Dream,” Great Apple said in a cold tone. “What brings you here?”

“Oh,” Creme Dream said with that sugary sweet, and yet deep, voice. “Nothing more than to wander among the commoners of Canterlot. Especially the daughters of Princess Celestia.”

The moment I heard Creme Dream mention me and Fizzie, I hid my face even deeper into my older sister’s side, hoping not to be seen. But I got startled when I felt her hoof touch my shoulder, causing me to scream in horror and startle Fizzie at the same time.

“Don’t be frightened,” Creme Dream said to me as I turned around and faced her scared half-to-death. “I mean you no harm.” But fortunately for me, Fizzie came to my defense.

“Now look, Chancellor,” Fizzie said as she stood in front of me. “My sister has been anxious and afraid ever since she lost her parents. Could you please let her be?”

To my surprise, Chancellor Creme Dream backed off a bit with a solemn look on her face. But despite her humble tone, something about her just felt off for me.

“I am terribly sorry,” Creme Dream said. “I didn’t mean to frighten your sister. All I wanted to do was to greet every citizen of Canterlot.”

“I know you mean well, Chancellor Creme Dream,” Great Apple said in a stern tone as he walked towards the front of his fruit stand with his eyes on her. “But some ponies have mental scars from the trauma they’ve been through.”

Chancellor Creme Dream fixed up her puffy mane and said “Very well. Besides, there are others to greet before I get down to my meeting with Princess Celestia and Princess Luna about the changeling problem. I don’t want to keep them waiting.”

With that, I watched as Chancellor Creme Dream walked off from the apple stand and down the streets of Canterlot. Fizzlepop Berrytwist stood by me, keeping me protected as I barely looked at her disappear into the crowd. Great Apple and Granny Smith just stood there, glaring down the street.

“Something tells me this chancellor is up to no good,” Granny Smith said.

“Right you are,” Great Apple replied. “Even in spite of her pleasant tone and optimistic outlook, there is something about Chancellor Creme Dream that makes my fur crawl.”

But as Granny Smith and Great Apple put their mind back onto their apple business, I slowly walked out from behind Big Sis Fizzie. I tapped on Granny’s hoof, catching her attention.

“Oh, little Abby,” Granny Smith said. “Don’t mind that sugary sweet chancellor. If anything, daddy and I got your back like your sister does.”

And with that, Fizzie tapped me on the shoulder, causing me to turn my head towards my older sister. She held out a few bits and said “How about I buy you some lunch before we get some milkshakes?”

Back then, I enjoyed the famous Canterlot Ice Cream Parlor triple fudge milkshake. Fizzie and I would spend our days there just enjoying the moment without a care in the world. And once Fizzie told me about treating me to those delicious treats, my mood went up north.

“Great,” I said to Fizzie as I gave her a big hug. “I’m up for it.”

WIthout a second thought, Fizzie pulled out four bits from her bag and placed them on the table. She signaled to Great Apple and said “Two Apple Sandwiches on nutmeg bread, and your finest Apple Juice.”

“I was hoping you would go for that,” Great Apple chuckled as Granny Smith wasted no time slicing up two apples, spreading some of that cinnamon butter on each slice of bread, and placing the sliced apple onto the butter side of the breads before pressing them into delicious sandwiches. Great Apple reached underneath the table and pulled out two glass bottles full of Apple Juice and placed them in front of us before Granny Smith planced down the sandwiches next to them.

“You two enjoy the day, and maybe later on I can take you down to the Cinch memorial so you can pay your respects,” Great Apple said with a warm smile on his face. “Just like I’ve done many times since you came here.”

I will never forget just how delicious that sandwich tasted, even though I have had it many times in my lifetime. The crisp crunch of the apple felt so refreshing, while there was a sweet and tangy taste from the cinnamon butter. The nutmeg added that right kick of spice that topped off that lunch, and the way that apple juice just quenched my thirst in almost a snap. There was no better lunch than what Great Apple and Granny Smith would sell to us.

But later that day, Fizzlepop Berrytwist and I were just relaxing on a bench in the park, enjoying our after lunch milkshake. It felt like a nice compliment to a delicious lunch from Great Apple and Granny Smith. Without a care in the world, we just gazed our eyes up in the sky while we enjoyed our milkshakes.

“Fizzie,” I asked my older sister as my gaze stared at the sky. “What’s on your mind right now?”

“Well,” Fizzlepop said. “One day, I’d like to go out and see the whole world and what it would bring us compared to this sheltered life here in Canterlot.”

“Are you really sure about that?” I said with a concerned look on my face as I took a sip of milkshake.

“I am,” Fizzie replied. “As much as I appreciate what Mother Celestia has done for us, the life of a princess is not for me. I want to reach out and meet all new ponies, go on an adventure beyond even Equestria, and even meet many interesting ponies.”

Fizzlepop Berrytwist always had a lot on her mind. From the time she said she was fascinated with technology like a video game system, or one of those newfangled computers. I always listened to what she said and it somehow fascinated me. But on that day, when she told me about wanting to leave Canterlot, I felt uneasy.

“I’m not so sure if I want to go down that route, Fizzie,” I said with my own sense of doubt. “Ever since I came here as Princess Celestia’s adopted daughter, I see Canterlot as more of a sanctuary.”

“A sanctuary?” Fizzie said, surprised by my statement before she took a sip of her milkshake.

“Yeah,” I replied as I took in the atmosphere of the park. “I always see this place as a safe haven for ponies to frolic, play and other pony things. Where anyone, be it Pegasi, Earth Pony or Unicorn, are welcomed to live among us.”

It wasn’t something you would ever hear me say. But back then, I considered Canterlot to be a safe haven, considering what I had gone through. Fizzlepop Berrytwist just looked down at me with a smile and gave me a playful noogie.

“Sounds like you don’t want to leave this place,” Fizzie said to me in a warm tone. “It could get pretty boring.”

“It’s not just that,” I said back to her. “I also fear that I could lose my own family, or even you.” The moment I said those words, she did grow concerned for me.

“Abby,” Fizzlepop said to me. “I understand your concern for me. But I promise I’ll be alright. I’m a tough pony, and I can handle whatever the world throws at me.”

“Really?” I said, curious about her words, but also cautious.

“And not only that,” Fizzlepop Berrytwist said. “I promise that if I see the world, I will bring back a souvenir for you to treasure. One that reflects what the world could bring to us.”

“You really think so?” Those words did cause my concern to melt away, and bring me a sense of excitement about the outside world.

“I believe the world can bring to us what we can’t learn in a castle or the walls of this town,” Fizzie explained as my attention drew to her voice. “What other ponies exist beyond Equestria, or even other species? Like Dragons, Yaks, Griffins, Hippogriffs, and other species that could exist.”

“You mean like with Princess Celestia’s fillyhood friend Queen Novo?” I said in excitement.

“Yeah,” Fizzie said. “The last time she was here, Queen Novo told us that one day, she wanted to have children of her own. And sometimes, she does get lonely ruling atop Mount Aris without a significant other by her side.”

“Yeah,” I said with a solemn face. “It must be hard for Queen Novo to not have someone to be by your side, to make you happy, to get you through the day.”

“That’s why I want to go see the world,” Fizzie said. “I want to see every creature have that spark of optimism. That’s why I want you to be happy when I’m gone.”

“Me?” I said, with my face turning to a bit of shock.

“I’m not going to be around forever,” Fizzie said back to me. “When I’m no longer in Canterlot, promise me you’ll be a tough pony and stick it out. Because I know you can handle anything.”

I barely had anything to say from Fizzlepop’s promise. Those words caught me by surprise, as if something horrible was going to happen. But I swallowed my pride and gave my best response.

“I’ll…” I said. “I’ll try.”

I knew my response was rather weak. But Fizzie didn’t care. She cracked a warm smile for me and took a sip of her milkshake.

“That’s the spirit, Abby,” Fizzie said. “I know you’ll become a great pony when you grow up. You’re as apart of this society as I am, like a warm family. And as a family, we are one together.”

I just laughed at Fizzie’s phrase before I said “I thought you didn’t want to be a princess.”

“I know,” Fizzie replied. “But being apart of a family is more important than some silly royal title.

With that, the two of us just laid back and looked up at the sky, enjoying our milkshakes for that afternoon, as if we both didn’t have a care in the world. But little did I realize, I was about to experience another trauma, two years in the making, and that Fizzlepop’s words of no longer being around in Canterlot were about to come sooner than I realize.

To Be Continued in…

To Bear the Loss

PreviousChapters Next