• Published 10th Oct 2022
  • 504 Views, 9 Comments

My Little Pony: One as a Family. "Trials of Friendship" - SaburoDaimando



One month after the events of Life in Canterlot, Wanda will undergo new hardships, including having to separate from friends.

  • ...
18
 9
 504

PreviousChapters Next
Arc 16(Shelter from the Windigo’s Winds)-1: Refugees from La Maresa

Arc 16: Shelter from the Windigo’s Winds

Refugees from La Maresa

“O brothers and sisters from the winter winds, lend me your voice. O brothers and sisters from winter colt, your time is nigh. O brothers and sisters, the time has come to walk the winds of the eternal cold. Go forth, and bring eternal winter to all of Equestria. For Queen Icelina.”

Those words came from Coldnelius Snap, who held his hooves in the air perched atop a cold mountain. The Windigos flew in from the depths of the dark clouds, howling loudly into a snow-covered afternoon in Equestria. Canterlot, La Maresa, Manehattan and all other points on the map were covered by the snow of the Windigos. Many citizens hid within their homes or migrated to Canterlot city.

Coldnelius Snap looked down upon the nation of Equestria with fury in his eyes and ice in his heart.

“The hate within that foolish Gold Banks was more than enough to call forth the Windigos,” Coldnelius Snap said. “Her abuse of her own spouse, her disdain for the ponies of Equestria, and her desire to overthrow her own mentor Magistrate Creme Dream will serve as Equestria’s demise. Foolish mare. You think you can the whole world, when it comes back to send you, and all those pathetic followers of Queen Eternia, to an icy doom.”

Coldnelius Snap grabbed his cloak by the teeth and proceeded to throw it off. He flapped his wings upwards before leaping into the air and flying off.

“Now,” Coldnelius Snap yelled. “LET EQUESTRIA FOREVER BE BURIED UNDER ETERNAL WINTER, FOREVERMORE!”

Coldnelius Snap’s body shapeshifted into a Windigo as he stood alongside the other ghostly, cold horses. Together, they traveled across the atmosphere in an attempt to freeze all of Equestria..for good.

Meanwhile, in a guest room in Canterlot, Buttercup was looking down at a video tablet where Wanda Young looked up at the apple mare.

“So they’re already at work with the refugees?” Wanda asked.

“Applejack was the most eager to get her hooves on the ground,” Buttercup said. “She, Bright Mac and Big Mac are already serving out soup to the refugees. Rainbow Dash and Spitfire already informed Captain Airazor of their willingness to help out. She was reluctant at first because she didn’t want to put them in danger. But she figured out what to do. Rarity was asked to help Granny Smith look after Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara. And believe me, it’s not easy.”

“Sounds like that’s a lot of hard work,” Wanda replied.

“It is,” Buttercup replied. “But as long as we have plenty of room left in the castle, we should be okay. Still, if it does get too crowded, we’ll have to inform your mother about it.”

“I don’t know,” Wanda said. “I heard there may be more on the way, and not just from La Maresa.”

“Well don’t you worry,” Buttercup said. “Some volunteers are already on board and they’re already at work as we speak.”

Wanda let out a sigh and said “I hope this storm ends for all of us.”

“It will end,” Buttercup said with a warm smile. “All storms will end.”

In the Grand Foyer of the Castle, Applejack, Bright Mac and Big Mac were hard at work at a makeshift kitchen, serving up hot food for the refugees that arrived. But while Applejack was hard at work, she was also worried for the ponies coming in.

“How are you doing, champ?” Bright Mac asked.

“Doing the best I can,” Applejack said, pouring a ladle of soup into a bowl before giving it to a refugee next to her.

“I can tell in your eyes why you’re doing this,” Bright Mac said.

“Yeah,” Applejack said. “They’re our neighbors back in La Maresa. Just seeing them suffer makes me cry on the inside.”

“Eeyup,” Big Mac agreed.

“They make me cry on the inside as well,” Bright Mac said. “But we chose to help them out to at least give them a glimmer of hope.”

“That may have been the reason why I chose to help you out, dad,” Applejack said, pouring another ladle full of soup onto a bowl. “I want to at least help them out after the winter storm brought their lives down.”

“Truth be told, you really didn’t have to do so,” Bright Mac said, giving another pony a bowl of soup. “But the fact that you wanted to do this as opposed to staying back in the Golden Land says a lot about yourself.”

“The fact that I have an altruistic heart?” Applejack asked.

But before Bright Mac could say anything, Big Mac placed his hoof on Applejack’s shoulder with a smile on his face.

“It’s your greatest strength, sis,” Big Mac said. “It’s what we all taught you, and you took it to heart. It’s what makes you tough on the inside. It’s what makes you who you are. And for that, we’re proud of you, sis.”

“Aww,” Applejack said, bringing out another empty bowl. “You don’t have to be that appreciative, Big Mac.”

“And here I thought Fluttershy was the sappiest pony I’ve known. But that’s what made her a true friend.” Applejack, Big Mac and Bright Mac turned to the front to see Mr Bovine stand in front with a smile on his face.

“Mr Bovine,” Applejack said. “You actually made it. I can’t wait to tell Fluttershy.”

“You don’t have to go out of your way to do so,” Mr Bovine said. “Speaking of which, I heard you and Fluttershy were in this Golden Land of some sort.”

“Was,” Applejack said. “Ma and Pa were alright with me staying in the Golden Land. But I wanted to help out with the refugee crisis from La Maresa.”

“It’s how she thinks, Mr Bovine,” Bright Mac said. “She cares a lot about our fellow La Maresians. And she worries a lot about our well-being.”

“It’s a kind of worry that is worth holding onto,” Mr Bovine said. “I was the same thing when I was a little calf, when I worried about my own folk’s sake.”

Bright Mac brought out a big bowl and said “So I take it you need some soup to keep yourself warm.”

“Not just warm,” Mr Bovine said. “Gonna need the strength to help plow the snow so the refugees can make it to the city.”

“Are you sure about that?” Applejack said. “You do have back problems according to Fluttershy.”

Mr Bovine laughed and said “That was before Fluttershy’s parents decided to take me to a chiropractor, to help get my back adjusted. They even decided to pay for my well-being. Worked better than I realized. So I’m paying them back by helping them out.”

Bright Mac handed the bowl of soup to Mr Bovine and said “Well you be careful out there. The snow storm is starting to pick up even more so than the first few days of this madness.”

“Don’t worry,” Mr Bovine said. “This ain’t my first rodeo.”

Mr Bovine downed the entire bowl of soup in one gulp before neatly placing the bowl next to Applejack. He wiped the remnants of the soup before walking over to the entrance.

“If you see Fluttershy,” Mr Bovine said. “Tell her I’m helping out for the moment, and not to worry about me.”

“I will,” Applejack said. “Just be careful out there, okay?”

“Am I ever?” Bovine said before walking out of the doorway, leaving Bright Mac, Big Mac and Applejack to serve more soup to the other refugees.

“That is one brave bull,” Applejack said.

“He may be a bit stubborn,” Bright Mac said. “But at least he’s got a heart of gold.”

“Eeyup,” Big Mac nodded.

Meanwhile, in the skies above Canterlot, Rainbow Dash and Spitfire were already dressed up in their Junior Wonderbolt outfits, flying alongside Captain Airazor, Magnum and Firefly, looking down at the snow-covered forest and valley surrounding Canterlot. A barrier of fire surrounded the group to keep them warm and to protect them from the elements.

“What do you see, Spitfire?” Airazor asked.

“No sign of any life so far,” Spitfire yelled.

“None on my side, either,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Keep looking,” Airazor said. “No pony left behind.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Rainbow Dash and Spitfire said with a salute before they continued to scan the ground.”

“One last thing,” Captain Airazor said. “I’m surprised that you two want to put your lives at risk to help out the ponies of La Maresa, considering your age. This kind of work is dangerous, even for the likes of the most elite of Wonderbolts.”

“There’s a number of reasons why I’m pitching in,” Rainbow Dash said. “One is that Applejack wanted to help out, and I wanted to play my role as well. Two, these are the ponies from La Maresa, our brothers and sisters. We’re not leaving them behind.”

“I may not be a La Maresian,” Spitfire said. “But my mother told me about how important it is to look after those who need it in case of these kinds of emergencies.”

“The great Stormy Flare,” Airazor replied. “Your mother and my mentor. I made a promise to raise you into a Wonderbolt, and you live up to her expectations.”

Firefly immediately tapped Airazor on the shoulder and said “Captain, there’s an overturned train nearby.”

Firefly pointed down in the valley where a train lay down on its side off the track as if it was knocked off.. There were some ponies trying to pull others out through the windows while others pulled themselves out from the doorways.

“That must have been some storm,” Spitfire said.

“I don’t think it was natural,” Airazor said. “But regardless, we need to get them to safety.”

“What do you need us to do?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Follow me,” Airazor said as she made her descent towards the trains.

Rainbow Dash, Spitfire, Magnum and Firefly nodded before pursuing after Airazor towards the trains.

The moment the Wonderbolts and younglings landed, they approached the Conductor of the train, who sat on the ground a bit dazed. Magnum walked up to the Conductor and picked him up.

“What happened?” Magnum asked. “Are you alright?

“Not exactly,” The Conductor said as Magnum got him back on his four hooves. “One moment the winter winds picked up and struck the cars many times, the next moment I flew out of one of the windows and landed here before the trains collapsed.”

Magnum turned to Captain Airazor and said “The snowstorms make it worse than we imagined. I don’t think this snowstorm is natural.”

“Princess Celestia will need to know this as soon as possible,” Captain Airazor said. “But for now, get those who are out to Harvestia. There’s a path there that will lead them to Canterlot.”

“Roger that,” Magnum said. “And good luck. We’ll need all of it.”

Magnum turned towards the ponies that got out along with the Conductor and signaled to them before walking towards the east. The Conductor and the pony passengers followed Magnum down the field of snow towards the town of Harvestia, where a frozen waterfall stood at the base of the town.

Firefly turned towards Airazor and asked “What should we do now?”

“Pull as many of the refugees from the train,” Captain Airazor stated. “No one is going to be left behind.”

“Do you want us to help out as well?” Spitfire asked.

“Normally I would say no,” Captain Airazor said. “But we are stretched thin in trying to locate the rest of the refugees. So I need you both to help out as much as possible. But don’t push yourselves too hard. Understood?”

Rainbow Dash and Spitfire gave a salute and said “Yes ma’am.”

“Very well,” Captain Airazor said. “Let’s get them out on the double.”

With a kick of snow into the air, Rainbow Dash, Spitfire, Firefly and Captain Airazor galloped over to the turned over train car, to which many ponies were pulling themselves out. The two Wonderbolts leaped onto the side of the car and ran up to the window before pulling ponies out, while the Junior Wonderbolts jumped through the window.

Inside, there were many ponies who were still dazed from the train’s collapse. But the worst that came from them were only some minor bruises. However, one mare, with a greenish coat and a purplish mane, had her legs trapped under some suitcases. Rainbow Dash and Spitfire were quick to run up to the injured mare.

“Are you alright?” Rainbow Dash asked. “We’ve come to help.”

“I’m not fine,” the injured mare said. “Someone help me get these suitcases off.”

“We’re on it,” Spitfire said.

Immediately, Rainbow Dash and Spitfire grabbed the fallen suitcases and threw them to the side, getting them off the legs of the mare, one by one. It didn’t take long for the mare to get her legs free.

“Finally,” The mare said as she pulled herself out. “I owe you younglings big time.”

But as the mare touched her leg on the floor, she screamed in pain. Rainbow Dash and Spitfire immediately ran up to the mare.

“Are you alright?” Spitfire asked.

“Not really,” the mare said. “I think those suitcases bruised my hind legs.”

Spitfire looked up at one of the windows where Captain Airazor and Firefly were pulling ponies out from the train car.

“Captain Airazor,” Spitfire yelled. “We have a problem. One of the passengers is unable to walk properly.”

Airazor looked down at the mare, who rested her legs on the floor in pain.

“What’s your name?” Airazor asked.

“Applesauce,” the mare said. “Aunt Applesauce of the Apple family.”

“Stay still and be calm,” Airazor explained. “My fellow Wonderbolt will pull you out.”

Firefly nodded before she jumped down through the window and landed nearby. She slowly placed her upper arms under Aunt Applesauce before picking her up, minding her bruised legs.

“By the way,” Aunt Applesauce said in a sassy tone. “Do you have a brother?”

Firefly just blushed before she said “No. I only have sisters.”

“Well nuts,” Aunt Applesauce said in a disappointed tone.

Firefly flapped her wings as hard as possible, ascending upwards through the window, carrying Aunt Applesauce in her arms. The middle-aged, and yet attractive, mare just laid there still slightly disappointed.

“You’re going to be alright, ma’am,” Airazor said. “We’ll get you to safety.”

“Take your time,” Aunt Applesauce said. “You got other ponies in there that need your help.”

As Firefly flew Aunt Applesauce away from the downed train, Airazor looked down at Spitfire and Rainbow Dash before she said “You both did a fine job in raising awareness for an injured passenger. But there are still more to locate.”

“Leave that to us,” Rainbow Dash said.

“No one will be left behind,” Spitfire said. “Not as long as I still have some strength left.”

“That’s the spirit,” Captain Airazor said. “I’ll try to get them all gathered up before we make for Harvestia and then Canterlot.”

Spitfire and Rainbow Dash saluted Captain Airazor before they both ran down through the various passenger cars of the train. Airazor turned down towards another pony, who she helped get out.

“I can only hope we can get them out before the worst of the storm hits us,” Airazor thought to herself.

Meanwhile, at another cart, Rolling Thunder and Short Fuse emerged from one of the broken windows, each of them carrying Flim and Flam with their arms.

“Who knew a winter storm like this would bring down an entire train,” Rolling Thunder said. “Mother nature can be a harsh mistress.”

“I’m ain’t afraid of no storm,” Short Fuse said as he placed Flam down on top of the snow. “It’s got nothing on me.”

“You silly,” Rolling Thunder laughed as he placed Flim down next to Flam. “”You were the loudest screamer when the train turned on its side.

“I WAS NOT!” Short Fuse yelled.

“Well before this turns into an argument,” Flim said, “I suggest we make our way to Canterlot.”

“Agreed,” Flam said. “The closest town is Harvestia. From there, the path to Canterlot should be a breeze.”

“But wasn’t that town destroyed by greedy bandits?” Rolling Thunder asked.

“It was,” Flim said. “But Princess Celestia financed its restoration and it’s already looking better than it was.”

“Well in that case,” Rolling Thunder said. “Let’s press on.”

But as Rolling Thunder, Short Fuse, Flim and Flam were about to make their way up, Airazor looked to her left and saw the four colts walk casually away from the train. She jumped into the air and landed right in front of the group, startling them.

“And just where do you think you four are going?” Airazor asked.

“We’re just four street rats traveling across Equestria,” Rolling Thunder explained. “So will you step aside?”

“I don’t know how you four were able to make it through this snowstorm,” Airazor said. “But I am not going to let you endanger your own lives even further.”

But before Rolling Thunder could say anything, Rainbow Dash and Spitfire emerged from the train, looking a little distressed.

“Captain,” Spitfire said. “We’re going to need some big help in getting another passenger out. She locked herself in the bathroom and it’s broken.”

“And we could use someone’s help,” Rainbow Dash explained.

Airazor turned to Firefly and said “Accompany Rainbow Dash and Spitfire in breaking down a door for another. I’ll keep an eye on the passengers.”

“Roger,” Firefly said after setting Aunt Applesauce down.

Immediately, Firefly flew up towards the open window and entered with Rainbow Dash and Spitfire following from behind. Airazor then turned back towards the four colts.

“Hey wait a minute,” Short Fuse said. “Those two are fillies. Why are they helping you out?”

“I was hesitant on wanting to have them join us, in fear of putting them in danger,” Airazor said. “But they wanted to help out in any way possible, even if it did mean putting their lives in danger. Furthermore, they’re familiar with being in danger in the first place, considering what they went through at the Grand Gallopin Gala. Your four, on the other hoof, were a little reckless in your decision to wander in this snowstorm.”

“Aww come on,” Short Fuse said, stomping his hoof on the group.

“Though on a side note,” Airazor said, “Had you four still remained at Coltsom, I would have risked my reputation and busted you out. You don’t deserve to freeze in there. Now march.”

As Airazor marched the four colts to Aunt Applesauce and the other passengers, Short Fuse snarled to himself.

“How did she know who we were?” Rolling Thunder asked.

“Lucky guess,” Short Fuse snarled.

Meanwhile, back at the Canterlot Castle, Rarity and Granny Smith were in Wanda and Sunset’s room. Rarity was cuddling Sweetie Belle while Granny Smith looked after Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara in their cribs.

“Rarity,” Granny Smith said. “You look a little disappointed.”

“Well truth be told,” Rarity said. “I was hoping that I would be helping out with the refugees, giving them a chance to be happy for once. After all, my parents taught me about the lessons of generosity.”

“And your parents would be proud of what you are doing,” Granny Smith said. “By helping out with the foals, you at least spare them from one burden while they deal with another.”

“Oh?” Rarity asked.

“Before you and the other came back,” Granny Smith explained, “Buttercup was burdened by the fact that she had to look after these kids while refugees poured in. She wanted to help, but she also wanted to make sure I wasn’t alone in looking after these four, which includes your sister Sweetie Belle.”

Rarity looked down at Sweetie Belle, who looked up and giggled right at her.

“Is that right?” Rarity asked, to which Sweetie Belle nodded.

But before Granny Smith could say anything, she and Rarity heard the sound of a loud crash that came outside of the room. The sound was enough to cause the foals to break out in tears. Rarity rocked Sweetie Belle in an attempt to calm her down while Granny Smith looked out the door.

“I’m going to check to see what happened,” Granny Smith said. “It won’t take long.”

As Granny Smith walked towards the door, Rarity looked down at Sweetie Belle, who touched big filly sister on the nose.

“Did you ever have one of those days?” Rarity asked.

Outside of the room, Granny Smith saw a mess of broken dishes and food scattered across the hall next to a tipped serving cart, and two unicorn colts that laid next to it in a daze. One was short and pudgy with a light opalish gray coat, brilliant orange mane and tail, and a pair of scissors for a cutie mark. The other was thin with a slightly long neck, a light amber coat, a moderate turquoise mane and tail, and a snail for a cutie park.

“Snips, Snails,” Granny Smith said. “What in blazes happened? You look like you two took the ride of your life.”

Snips shook his head off and said “Aww come on, Granny Smith. We’re trying the best we can.”

“Yeah,” Snails said. “So many ponies wanted food and we couldn’t keep up.”

But before Granny Smith could speak, she heard the voices of other ponies whining and demanding food, wanting to know where it was.

“Oh dear,” Granny Smith said. “I’m going to have to have a word with Bright Mac about assigning you two to food duty when it’s this stressful. I think you two deserve a far less stressful job. Come with me.”

Granny Smith walked back into the room with Snips and Snails following from behind. Nearby, Big Mac walked down the hallway and saw the mess made on the floor.

“I’m going to have a word with father about making those two work this kind of madness,” Big Mac sighed.

Back innside the room, Rarity turned her head to see Granny Smith lead Snips and Snails inside.

“Snips? Snails?” Rarity said in a confused tone. “What are you two doing here?”

“They were doing a job that they weren’t fit for,” Granny Smith said. “No doubt they were asked to do this by my own son. And all those ponies demanding food where they could barely keep up.”

“Just out of curiosity,” Rarity said. “But how come some of the ponies require the food to be delivered to them?”

“From what we heard,” Snails said, “Some ponies can’t move on their own. That’s why they have to have food delivered to them.”

“We thought it would be an ideal way to help out,” Snips said. “But we got caught up in the moment and wrecked everything.”

“Well your hearts were in the right place,” Rarity said. “But I think you overdid it, not thinking about your own well-being.”

“You two help Rarity look after the foals,” Granny Smith said. “I’m going to ask someone else to take care of food deliveries.”

“That will be me.” Everyone turned to the entrance where Big Mac stood in front.

“Big Mac,” Granny Smith said. “You overheard what happened?”

“Eeyup,” Big Mac said. “Especially the loud crash. I’ll be willing to take over that duty while you continue to look after Apple Bloom and the other fillies.”

Granny Smith smiled before she said “Very well. Let your father know about this and that you’ll take it from here. I know you very well, Big Mac.”

“That’s because you expected the best from me, grandma,” Big Mac said.

“Even if you do fail,” Granny Smith said, “You always know how to pick yourself up and try again. That’s what makes you who you are.”

Big Mac nodded before he left the room with Granny Smith turning back towards Rarity, Snips, Snails and the foals.

“Well I’m going to go take care of the mess outside,” Granny Smith said. “You three look after the young'uns till I get back.”

As Granny Smith walked out, Rarity snuggled Sweetie Belle close while Snips and Snails walked up to Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara.

“Hey little ones,” Snips said. “How are you doing?”

“Don’t mind us,” Snails said. “We’re just here to watch over you all.”

But the three foals just stared at the two colts in confusion.

“Snips, Snails,” Rarity said, walking over to the two colts. “I’ve known these four foals for quite some time since their birth. Especially Sweetie Belle here. Apple Bloom is a pony that will stand by your side if needed. Scootaloo loves to be a bit wild, while Diamond Tiara deserves a lot of attention.

Snails looks down at Diamond Tiara, who just touched him on the tip of his nose.

“Aww,” Snails said. “I think she likes me.”

“Give her some time and she’ll grow attached to ya.” Rarity, Snips and Snails turned around to see Applejack walk in from the entrance.”

“Applejack,” Rarity said. “I thought you were helping your father out with the food downstairs.”

“We’re taking a break at the moment and Big Mac told me about what happened,” Applejack said. “I’d figure I’d come up to check up on all three of you till Granny Smith gets back.”

Applejack walked up and picked Apple Bloom up before holding her close.

“Well since I have this break,” Applejack said as Apple Bloom giggled at her. “I might as well check to see how Apple Bloom’s doing. She missed me so much since we were gone from La Maresa, thanks to what those nasty changelings did.”

“Tell me about it,” Snips said. “Those nasty changelings kept scaring us back into our houses while you were gone.”

“Then there were those mean Predacon Brothers who kept giving us a hard time for a bit,” Snails said. “They did go away sometime later, but I heard they were heading up to Canterlot under some Queen’s order.”

“So those doggone Predacon pests decided to give La Maresa a hard time before coming up to Canterlot?” Applejack said. “That’s just despicable.”

“I wish they didn’t give us a hard time,” Snails said as he gently picked up Diamond Tiara. “If only they weren’t such mean bullies.”

“Now you be careful with Diamond Tiara,” Rarity said. “She can be a bit fussy.”

“I’ll try,” Snails said, carefully holding Diamond Tiara, who giggled at his silly face.

Snips looked down at Scootaloo, who just looked up at the older colt.

“Hey there, little one,” Snips said. “Do you want to play with your Uncle Snips?”

But in a flash, Scootaloo jumped out of the crib and onto Snips’ face, causing him to lose his balance before falling over on his rear end.

“Oww,” Snips said. “I didn’t expect this foal to be that excited to see me.”

Rarity, Applejack and Snails laughed out loud as the other foals joined in with the laughter.

“You have a lot to learn about younglings, Snips,” Rarity giggled.

“Yeah,” Applejack laughed. “Luckily we’re here to help out.”

Snips pulled Scootaloo off his face and looked down at her, who only cheered back at him.

“Aww, I can’t be angry at you,” Snips said as Scootaloo rubbed his cheek on Snip’s face. “You’re just that precious.”

Meanwhile, back at the Golden Land, Argyle Starshine was in his room in the afternoon, writing down some text in his book with his quill.

“What is it like to worry about others?” Argyle wrote. “To care a lot about their well-being? To be concerned if they are okay or not? As I write this, I relax in the Golden Land along with the remaining younglings who chose to stay. But at the same time, I also worry for the ponies of La Maresa, who are stranded in Canterlot because of the snowstorm. Four friends of Wanda had to return home just to help out with the ponies who now shelter at the castle. And yet, as I write this, I still worry for the ponies of La Maresa.”

Argyle Starshine dipped his pen into the inkwell and placed the tip back onto the book page.

“But why do I worry for the ponies of La Maresa?” Argyle wrote. “Because I don’t want to see them suffer as I did before. I want to see them survive what they’re going for. And yet, at the same time, I feel helpless in not being able to help them out. A part of me wished I went with the four younglings to see what was going on over there, and how I could pitch in for those who need it. For what they go through is an unfortunate loss, and they need all the help they can get in order for their lives to be rebuilt back to the way it was. Perhaps our altruistic nature is why we have a concern for others. Altruism: The idea where selflessness comes to mind, and we become concerned for the well-being of others over ourselves.”

As Argyle Starshine dipped his pen back into the inkwell, Wanda Young emerged from behind and approached the older stallion.

“Mr Starshine,” Wanda said. “What are you writing?”

“Words that I wish to tell to the whole world,” Argyle Starshine said. “Words that ponies and other creatures, including you, are curious to read.”

“Oh?” Wanda asked.

“Perhaps when I’m done,” Argyle Starshine said, “I could teach you how to do that.”

“Oh I wish I could,” Wanda said. “But I came here to let you know that I’m going to the Emerald Woods with Starlight Glimmer, Sunset Shimmer, Danged Spell and little Abby. So I wanted to say good-bye until tomorrow morning.”

“Well then,” Argyle said as he got out of his seat. “Perhaps tomorrow, I can let you write one page in my diary.”

Wanda reached up Argyle Starshine and gave him a big hug.

To Be Continued in…

The calm before the Windigo’s Storm

Author's Note:

Apologies for not completing this part last week.

But that being said, this is just one small sign on what this arc will provide. After all, it, along with the next arc, is a mere calm before a major storm that will set off.

PreviousChapters Next