• Published 4th Feb 2023
  • 1,597 Views, 155 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 5) - MXCDarkHorse2020



The Lion and Pony Guard face new friendship lessons and challenges as they continue to expand it across Equestria and the Pride Lands

  • ...
1
 155
 1,597

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 9: Rafiki's New Neighbors

Episode 9:

Rafiki’s New Neighbors

If there is one thing that is always new for the Lion and Pony Guard to adapt to, it’s knowing to be ready for whenever nearby fires pop whenever lightning, more specifically dry lightning strikes. It has been happening quite a lot recently and it has sure been keeping the Guard up on their toes in quelling it. And that’s exactly what they have been doing with one going on right now a small distance from Pride Rock.

Kion was quick to lead the guard to stop it by quickly digging a trench into the ground to keep the flames from spreading. “Lion and Pony Guard, keep digging! Faster!”

Once again Thurston and his herd just happen to be in the crossfires, literally. “Panic and run! Panic and run!”

“Oh no, not again!” Rainbow groaned before moving to report this. “Twilight! Kion! The Zebras are stampeding! Again…” She looked aside looking very annoyed herself since that dim-witted zebra can’t go one day without prancing around in a frenzy.

“Not to worry, we’ll get to them.” Twilight reassured her flying friend. “Right now we gotta stop this fire before it spreads through the Pride Lands.” No sooner than she said it the fire had another spark that keep it growing stronger and started spreading again. “Kion…” She quickly warned her partner.

The young determined leader seeing and knowing the immediate danger was quick to set a strategy to counter this. “Reposition! Surround the flames, but stay back!”

“Fluttershy, you’re with me in calming the herd!” Twilight stated before flying after the herd with the animal-loving Pegasus quick to follow after her.

“Applejack, Beshte, we'll need a new trench.”

“You got it, Kion.”

“Can do, partner!”

The two immediately got to work on the new trench though Applejack had to limp through the process due to his injuries.

Unfortunately for the two of them, Mother Nature had plans for these two to which Ono was quick to spot out. “Kion! The fire's at the trench!”

Seeing this had Kion quick to shout after them in order to warn them. “Beshte, Applejack, get outta there!”

Upon seeing the fire is heading their way, both the Guard’s Strongest were quick to do so with Beshte being the first to pull himself up. Unfortunately, Applejack was having a more difficult effort in doing so due to his broken back legs.

“Applejack!” Rarity cried out upon seeing that she is in danger.

Rainbow upon seeing this, quickly rushed on over to her friend’s aid, just managing to whisk her away just before the fire could even touch her. For good measure she used her wings and tail to create a wind to blow it back thus helping the trench do its work in stopping the fire.

“I don’t think so!” She declared upon facing off against Mother Nature victoriously before proudly smiling at her most recent achievement.

Beshte gasped and then sighed in relief. “Phew! That was close and great save Rainbow.”

“Thanks.”

“It sure was and I tip my hat to you for that, Rainbow Dash!” Applejack did exactly that as most of the Guard regrouped with them looking relieved that the cowgirl didn’t get consumed by the flames.

“Good work, everyone.” Kion complimented before turning to the two best flyers nearby. “Ono? Rainbow? How bad's the damage?”

“We’ll see what i can see.” Ono stated before they both took off and did a quick scan together. “Not bad, Kion. Looks like the zebras still have plenty of grass left to eat.”

“The zebras!” Kion realized in alarm upon the very mention of it. “Ono! Rainbow!”

“Hapana!” Ono came to realize the same thing before managing to spot them out being slowed down by both Twilight and Fluttershy. “They're still stampeding! This way!”

Rainbow once again wasted no time in quickly catching up to them with her super speed. “Don’t worry Kion! I got this!”

Still wanting a team effort to be made, Kion led the rest of the team after them with Beshte having Applejack ride on his back so she can stick with the team.

“Till the Pride Lands and Equestria’s end...”

“Lion and Pony Guard defend!”


Meanwhile at Rafiki’s tree, the old master himself is currently training his newest Royal Mjuzi so she can someday be ready to step up to her future royal duties to give her servitude to the Royal Family.

“Now, Makini... One of the Royal Mjuzi's duties is to paint...”

Like before Makini’s enthusiasm and energy is at a Pinkie Pie level high. “The history of the Pride Lands! I know! And I really want to do a good job! But I've never painted anything before. I'm not sure how...”

Rafiki raised a finger to get her stop talking. “If you knew how, you would not need to learn. Observe!”

“Right, yes, okay. But what do I...”

“Shh.” During this moment of silence, the elder mandrill listened to what the Great Lions of the Past have to say. “Yes.”

“Ooh! You're listening to the Lions of the Past, aren't you? What are they saying Rafiki? Huh? What are they...” It took a simple glance for her to get the idea of what she’s supposed to be doing right now. “Oh... Shwari. Be calm.”

“Yes. The Lions of the Past tell me what the painting needs to be! And now I know.” He picked up an empty shell containing orange paint and then placed the finishing touches on a young lion’s tail that resembled Kiara’s.

“How did you do that?” Makini excitably asked after being amazed at what she just saw. “You make it look so easy!

Rafiki laughed in response as he handed her the paint. “It is easy! After it is hard.”

Though Makini still has yet to grasp the main idea, but never the less moves to listen to the Lions of the Past so she knows of what she needs to do in order to properly paint. “Okay...Hmm.” Just then her moment of calm and quiet atmosphere was suddenly interrupted when somebody crashed into the tree causing her to accidentally drop the whole shell of paint onto the branch. “Whoa!”

“We made it!”

“It's perfect!”

Two voices from down below excitably shouted.

“I'm not exactly sure that's what the painting needed to be.” Makini expressed her confusion to the older mandrill.

“Most likely it is not. It seems we have visitors. Hmm.”

Rafiki turned his attention outside to see there are three Pride Landers who have wandered their way on over here. One of them is an elephant who’s tusks are growing in, another is a white-furred monkey with a gray-colored head and streaks in his head hair, and the other is an antelope. From the looks of it, they were all old and big enough to act like teenagers and were all very energetic and curious fellows.

“Three wild guys like us can really be at home here!” The monkey stated on behalf of the group.

“Indeed.” The antelope agreed as he slammed his slowly growing horns into the tree again. “My horns love this tree!”

The elephant happily expressed to his monkey friend while tapping him behind his back. “Who is living the good life now, huh? I am. I am!”

The monkey realizing what he was doing laughed. “Oh, yes. That is funny because you are tapping me and yet when I turn around no one is there!”

At that moment Rafiki leaped down from his tree to greet them. “Who are you three? So young and full of life.”

The elephant moved to speak up on behalf on the trio. First himself then the antelope and then the monkey. “Name's Chama, this is Mzaha and Furaha.”

Then they did a group chant and dance together. “Chama cha Mzaha na Furaha! Umph!” The elephant butt-bumped his friends which sent them flying backwards for a small distance but never the less they were all unharmed and happily laughing together.

Then the monkey explained why there are here. “And good news for you, my friend. We fun guys are living here now!”

Makini smiled at the idea, but Rafiki did not share the young girl’s enthusiasm in the manner. To him he finds their antics very disruptive with what he needs in order to properly train his successor.

“Living the dream, I'd say.” The antelope happily laughed in agreement alongside the others as Chama snorted dirt from his trunk around them.

With everything he has seen so far, Rafiki had already made up his mind to the trio. “Live here? Ha! You cannot live here. I need quiet to train my apprentice.”

“They won't bother me. They seem nice.” Makini insisted otherwise as she leaped down from the tree to stand by Rafiki’s side.

“Makini?”

“Hey, yeah! We are nice! Nice and fun! Just like you Rafiki!” Chama said while playfully ruffling the elder baboon’s hair.

“We see you around the Pride Lands talking with King Simba...” Furaha added before imitating Rafiki. “Ha ha! I am wise, and yet I have good time!”

“Indeed!” Mzaha agreed while getting in his face albeit a little too closely. “And that's why we want to be your neighbors!”

Makini was quick to give them a chance. “Come on, Rafiki.” She eagerly implored of him. “It might be fun. Please. Please. Please?”

Truthfully he knew deep in his heart that it’ll be very disruptive to Makini’s training, but given with how she really likes their company, he decided it probably wouldn’t hurt to give leeway for compromise in this regard. Maybe it won’t be as bad as he thinks. “Eh... Very well.”

“Yay!” All of the kids with Makini included all cheered together.

Rafiki was quick to tell the trio of the catch. “As long as you are quiet!” They all stopped cheering. “Makini must focus on her training. She is painting for the Royal Family tonight.”

Makini spoke highly surprised of being bestowed of this great honor so soon. “I am?”

“You must be ready.”

“Ha!” Chama laughed thinking it’ll be easy. “You won't even know we're here.

“Good.” Rafiki is pleased that they now have an understanding before guiding his apprentice back up the tree. “Come, Makini.”

It only took turning their backs when Chama suddenly burped loudly to draw their attention back at them. “Sorry, won't happen again.” The kids all laughed together with the mandrills never the less climbing back up the tree.

Question is, can they really behave themselves to earn their right to live alongside their new neighbors?


Meanwhile, the rest of the Lion and Pony Guard have both managed to catch up to the zebra herd, just after both Fluttershy and Twilight have just managed to get them to stop panicking and running away. It took quite some magic on Twilight’s part along with a lot of gentle calming on Fluttershy’s part to get them to stop, but they did it and they were all calmed down for the time being.

“Zebras, the fire's out!”

“You can stop running!”

They gently insisted before they could get all spooked yet again.

Upon arriving Kion was quick to find out the source that spooked them. “Can you tell me what you saw when the fire started?”

“Well, I saw the grass...” Thurston began.

“Because you were grazing?” Fuli finished and asked with a “figures.” look on her face.

“Why, yes.” Thurston smiled widely. “Then I saw a big flash of bright light!”

“Wait.” Ono realized. “I actually know what he's talking about. Lightning must have started the fire!”

“Lightning?” Beshte spoke rather confused. “But there was no rain.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie agreed. “It hasn’t rained here in months! How can there be a fire if lightning strikes and there’s no rain?”

“That's because it's dry lightning.” Twilight replied to the ongoing pink pony’s confusion. “It happens whenever to doesn’t bring rain.”

“Quite common in the dry season, really.” Ono added.

Now Pinkie realized. “Ooh! Dry lightning! I thought we were talking about Rainbow’s lightning from Nightmare Night.”

Now it was Bunga’s turn to laugh and remember. “Remember when Princess Luna zapped Rainbow with her own lightning.”

“How could I forget! That was hilarious!”

“Ha, ha, ha, very funny!” Rainbow sarcastically remarked with crossed arms as she floated over their heads with the temptation to actually use some of the clouds above her to give them a good scare right above him only to refrain to avoid causing a panic with a false alarm.

None of the less all that mattered to Kion was that the danger had passed and that they are all safe once again. “Well there's nothing to worry about now. You can all go back to grazing.”

“Fabulous.” He started to head off until Kion called out to them again.

“Uh, your grazing grounds are this way.”

“Oh. Right.” As always Thurston looked clueless of where exactly are their grazing grounds.

Seeing they are going to need assistance, Twilight turned to the two flyers that knew their way around the Pride Lands. “Ono? Rainbow? Better show them home.” She noticed that Rainbow wasn’t fully paying attention. “Rainbow!”

“Huh?”

“Can you see to it along with Ono that the zebras know the way home?”

“Sure thing.”

“Ono?” Kion asked.

“Affirmative.” He flies ahead alongside Rainbow. “After us, zebras!”

Thurston was quick to follow their lead. “You heard the bird and Pegasus. After them.”

“Zebras.” Fuli muttered to herself exasperated at their leader’s stupidity.

“They’re always having a knack to getting themselves in trouble.” Kyoga remarked sharing the cheetah’s annoyance.

“As always.”

Just then they heard a familiar voice coming right beside them.

“Ah, yes. Much better!” Rafiki said to himself as he meditated on the nearby tree right above them thus surprising everyone with his presence.

“Rafiki.” Kion spoke happy to see him yet still highly surprised. “I thought you were training Makini for the painting ceremony tonight.”

“Makini is training. I am taking a break from the noise.” He replied all with opening his eyes.

“What noise?” Rarity curiously asked.

“The noise that is a young elephant, monkey and antelope.” Rafiki replied while opening his eyes with a hint of irritation in his tone. “They are now living next to my tree!“

“Next to your tree?” Applejack spoke sounding surprised herself. “Wow, talk about straying from the herd."

“Quite an observation, darling.” Rarity agreed before pressing the question. “Why aren't they with their herds?”

“Excellent question, young unicorn. And one I could not ask. They do not stop talking. Except for when Makini talks!”

Pinkie eagerly hopped up and down upon hearing this. “Ooh! Ooh! Like me!”

“Yes, Pinkie.” Rarity moved to gently urge her to calm down before she can blast everyone’s ears off again. “We get it. Oh and uh, please don’t.”

“Okay.” She happily complied.

“Anyways…” Kion said moving ahead to focus on Rafiki’s problem. “…We'd better find out why they're not with their herds.”

Rafiki was quick to support that decision as he leaped down and grabbed his staff so he can lead them back to his tree. “Yes! And perhaps you and the Lion and Pony Guard can take them somewhere else.“


Back at Rafki’s tree, everyone arrived to see the kids all chanting and cheering.

“Bug! Bug! Bug!”

The Guard just arrived in time to witness Furaha stuffing his face full of colorful bugs and grubs from under the rock.

“Ugh.” Rarity gagged once more at what she was seeing again.

Once Furaha stuffed as many bugs he can hold in his mouth, he swallowed them.

“And Furaha beats his bug eating record!” Chama declared as they all cheered yet again in celebration of their friend’s personal achievement.

Hearing and seeing this sparked Bunga’s interest. “Bug eating record? Wait till you see how many I can eat.” He quickly ran over to prove it to them.

And that was enough for both Kion and Twilight to see why Rafiki is having issue with this.

“I think I understand your problem.” The Leader of the Lion Guard said.

“Yeah.” Fuli remarked upon getting the idea too. “You have three Bungas.” She briefly turns and sees Bunga chowing down on the bugs and grubs. “Well, four now.”

At that moment Pinkie appeared with a cake as big as the one the Cakes made for the cake contest in Canterlot. “If you think that’s something, check this out, kiddies!”

Much like before, she managed to stuff the whole thing in one bite thus appearing as large as a giant because of it.

“Wow!” The kids all said in awe before all cheering in amazement.

“Make that five.” Twilight said to Fuli who nodded in agreement.

Rafiki upon seeing that Makini isn’t doing what she is supposed to be doing moved to question her. “Makini? Is this practicing?”

“I was just taking a little break. For inspiration! But now that that's over I can really, really focus on painting!” Makini sheepishly replied before climbing back up the tree so she can do so.

Knowing these three teens, Beshte moved to greet and ask them. “Hey Chama. Mzaha. Furaha. Why aren't you guys with your herds?”

Chama was a little hesitant but replied the best to his ability. “Uh... Short story, Beshte. They kicked us out. You know how it goes.”

After Pinkie had returned to normal size, she shockingly spoke up herself. “Kicked out? By your own herds? Why?”

“Beats...” Chama burps mid-sentence. “…Me.”

Next Furaha was quick to join in on the burp talk. “Do not know.”

“Nope.” Mzaha burped in agreement.

“Oh! Oh!” Bunga eagerly chimed in. “I can burp too!” He proceeded to release a weak one.

Pinkie upon seeing it feeling she can do better than all of them combined. “You call that a burp?! Watch this!” She proceeded to release a huge one that created a giant shockwave that was felt all the way to Canterlot and Ponyville.


Princess Celestia who was currently meeting with assistant and the delegates nearly stumbled with her crown briefly falling out of place. She was quick to readjust it before turning her attention to the direction of where it came from.

“Something the matter your highness?” Her assistant asked.

“Nope.” She shook her head in response. “Just something the Lion and Pony Guard can handle.” She turned back to the delegates gesturing them to the conference room. “Shall we?”


Back in the Pride Lands, everyone found themselves surrounded by a big scorched part of Earth from where Pinkie unleashed her huge burp and the pink pony herself smiled with squeeing glee and awe-inspired kids.

Fuli was quick to express her disgust with what she had just seen. “Ugh. Seriously?”

“I know right.” Rarity fanned her nose from the smell they left from their most recent burping contest. She then turned to both Twilight and Kion while pinching her nose. “And I think I have a pretty good idea why they were kicked out.”

Fluttershy however insisted otherwise. “I'm sure it's some kinda misunderstanding.“

“Yeah.” Beshte agreed. “Our herds are probably worried about you.”

“We can take you back to your families. If that's what you want.” Twilight kindly offered.

Rafiki was quick to want them to take them up on their offer. “Yes, yes. Back to their families. Being with your herd is part of your role in the Circle of Life!” He also gently advised with words of wisdom.

“Circle of Life?” Chama realized upon taking his wisdom. “Whoa! In that case, we better go back!”

“You said it.”

“Indeed.”

“But, uh…” Chama also realized and started to feel sad. “…guess that means we three gotta say good-bye, huh?

“But without you two fun guys I will just be one fun guy...” The monkey equally shared the somber feeling of this breakup.

At that moment both Ono and Rainbow Dash have arrived after having completed their task.

“Kion, Twilight, the zebras are all home safe!” Ono reported.

“It wasn’t easy listening to that zebra talk the whole way, but it was all doable!” Rainbow added while masking the fact of having to cover her ears to drum out the zebra’s babbling.

“Great work, Ono, Rainbow Dash.” Kion complimented before Twilight moved to tell them of what they are going to do now. “Now I need you, Pinkie, Applejack, and Beshte to take Furaha back to his troop.”

“Affirmative.”

“You got it, Kion.”

Rainbow started to follow after before being stopped by the sound of Twilight’s voice. “Not you Rainbow Dash. You’re with us while we and Bunga take Chama back to Ma Tembo's herd.”

“Okay!”

Then Kion turned to the others. “Fuli, you Rarity, Fluttershy, and Kyoga got Mzaha. He then spoke to all three teens. “Okay, you three. Come on. Let's take you back home.”

Knowing that this is the end, the kids all shared their signature greeting one last time. “Chama cha Mzaha na Furaha... Umph.” They all laughed weakly and put up some smiles albeit forced and weak before going their separate ways.

“Okay, then. See ya around, pals.” Chama called out before leaving with Kion, Twilight, Rainbow, and Bunga.


For the team heading towards the monkey troops…

“I bet your troop is gonna be happy to see you, Furaha.” Beshte happily expressed.

“Happier than when they saw me leave?” Furaha hopefully asked.

“Of course, silly!” Pinkie happily stated while bouncing beside him. “Why, I can picture them all looking super-worried and wondering where you have been since you left. And once they see you they’ll all be super-excited and want to throw a big super-duper fun welcome home party!” She instantly had her party cannon set off to emphasize the potential excitement coming their way. She smiled grandly and squeed in response.

“I’m pretty sure, things will work out.” Applejack assured while limping his way across though still felt some stings of pain from his fractured legs. “They always do.”

Just then Ono spotted what they are looking for ahead. “Hey, Furaha! I see your troop in those trees!”

It was Furaha’s home, where the nearby trees were filled with his herd straight ahead and the returning monkey was already whooping with excitement.

“Ready or not, here comes fun!” While he was running he spotted a familiar senior monkey who serves as the herd leader. “Tumbili! Tumbili!”

The elderly monkey was eating his fruit in peace groaned upon hearing his voice. “Furaha.”

Just then Furaha joined him up on his tree wrapping his arms around him to greet him like they best buds. “You were thinking, "When is that fun guy coming back?" Well, here I am!” Tumbili rolled his eyes in response before the energetic monkey moved to greet everyone else. “Cousins! Who here missed Furaha?”

Before he could ask, he sees part of the Guard approaching him.

“Hey, Tumbili.” The Lion Guard’s Strongest greeted. “Can you believe Furaha was living at Rafiki's Tree? He thought he had been kicked out of the troop!”

Tumbili while all polite and smiles, had to say otherwise and that there really is a good reason why he isn’t a part of their herd. “Well, uh... You see, Beshte. It is the Monkey way to, uh...”

Applejack figuring out what he is trying to say finished with. “...to cut someone out when he or she causes trouble in the herd?”

Seeing that the honest farm pony is spot on, Tumbili had no choice but to relent and admit. “Exactly…” He replied before moving to explain it to the confused hippo. “…because in case if you haven’t noticed and if he hadn’t fully told you why, that’s because he has been kicked out, for a good reason.”

“But why?” Pinkie asked feeling shocked herself alongside Beshte. “What possible reason could you have to feel kicking him is okay?”

Tumbili turned to Ono and Applejack with the former only having this to say. “Don’t ask. Trust us.”

“Anyways…” Applejack spoke up to get Pinkie and Beshte understand what Tumbili is trying to say. “…I’d think what he is trying to say is that Furaha’s antics aren’t exactly appreciated to be deemed acceptable around here.”

“Yes, thank you honest Applejack.” Tumbili now felt relieved he can now speak his mind about Furaha now. “Surely if you had a pony like her…” He gestured to Pinkie. “…around all of the time playing around with her silliness, surely you would understand why I had to send Furaha away.”

“I understand.” Beshte accepted that reason now fully grasping of what he is trying to say given of what it was like when Pinkie clones were causing an endless rampage across Ponyville. “But can you at least try to give him a chance? I’m sure he won’t cause you anymore trouble.”

Initially Tumbili wanted to say no but after seeing that the Guard is through and through friends with the real well-being Pinkie Pie, he relented with a sigh. “Yes. Thank you for bringing Furaha home.”

Beshte smiled in response. “I knew you'd welcome him back!”

Before turning to leave Applejack piped up to her pink friend with this before she could get started. “Pinkie…please don’t.” Pinkie’s mane deflated slightly. “Let’s do the polite and neighborly thing in giving them so space so they can properly reacquainted with each other.”

“Okay!” Pinkie thankfully accepted that. “Enjoy your family.” Pinkie cheerfully called after the monkey before bouncing away.

“Bye, Furaha!” Ono called after them before flying alongside the rest of the team.

No sooner than they left, Furaha was already having a chaotic time of his life.

“Who is having fun now?” He happily asked while yanking on a couple monkey’s tails oblivious to the fact he is causing them pain.

“Stop it, Furaha!” One of them shouted while trying to avoid having his tail literally yanked off to no avail.


Meanwhile at the antelope grazing grounds…

“I don't care what the Lion and Pony Guard wants us to do. We aren't taking Mzaha back.” Bupi assertively stated.

“But he's one of your kind.” Fuli insisted in the same tone.

“And he was sent away for good reason.” Bupu stood by his stance while turning his back on the girls. “And don’t even think about trying to pull those baby blue eyes on me, Rarity. You too Fluttershy.”

Rarity frowned behind his back while Fluttershy looked on disappointed in response.

“Okay, look, darling.” Rarity moved to try to gently reason with him. “I understand Mzaha might be a little...” She turns and sees said antelope laughing while banging his short antlers against the tree. “...different. But shouldn't he be with his family?”

Bupu looked on unconvinced still asserting by his decision.

Fuli sighed irritably before making another push to get Bupu to change his mind. “Take him back, Bupu!”

Bupu still had his head turned away. “Don't feel like it.”

Remembering what Fluttershy told her along with knowing that Fluttershy is silently imploring her to do so, she moved for a more polite approach. The one that got the two to have an understanding. “Please?”

And like before that was enough for him to reconsider at least once more. “Ah, yes. Very well. It never hurts to be polite!” He turned to said antelope laughing and playing around. “Mzaha, you are back with the herd!”

“Oh, goodie, I'm back! I'm back!” He happily expressed while prancing around.

“Great! Thanks, Bupu!” Instantly Fuli took off with her task at hand complete.

“It really means a lot to us.” Rarity complimented before leaving.

“Thanks.” Kyoga added before following suit.

“Good luck.” Fluttershy said before following after the others.

Much like the monkey back home, Mzaha wasted no time in driving everyone crazy with his antics. “Who wants to play tag? You? Or you?” He proceeds to stab every antelope in the rear with his horns. “I know you do!”

Bupu watching this sighed, just knowing that he’s going to have to re-live the headache he caused everyone all over again.


And at the elephant herd…

“I know how important family is to you elephants, Ma Tembo.” Kion said trying to be as understanding as possible about all of this.

“That's true, Kion. But Chama was a disruption to the herd.” The elephant leader replied likewise with her point quickly made when said elephant blew sand through his trunk again and right by Bunga much to his delight and the elephant leader’s eye-rolling annoyance.

“That was Un-bunga-lieveable! Let's do it again!”

“Bunga!” Both Kion and Twilight called after him with the latter looking more sternly at him with a glare to tell him that what he is encouraging is not helping them at all.

“Yeah, quit it, Bunga.” Chama chuckled while trying to play innocent.

But Twilight wasn’t buying it. “Chama, that includes you too!” Chama quickly wiped off the smirk he had on his face. “Anyways, Ma Tembo, while we understand your reasons of not wanting to put up with him. Think maybe you can at least give Chama one more chance?”

Ma Tembo sighed before relenting. “Only because it's you two who are asking it.” She then turns to the young elephant to let him know of it. “Chama, you are welcome to return if you promise to behave as part of the herd. But this is your last chance.”

“Ma Tembo, you have my word.” He promised in a rather nasally sounding voice and drawing a few eyebrows from the alicorn princess herself, being no stranger of knowing when someone is lying.

With that Kion was pleased. “Great. See ya, Chama.”

And so was Bunga. “Yep! See ya, wouldn't wanna be...” He winds up burping mid-sentence while Rainbow moved to tickle the young elephant with a white feather. “…ya.”

Chama laughed in response before accidentally snorting dirt that was in his trunk right onto Ma Tembo and Twilight’s face. Unfortunately Twilight was unable to have her magic work quick enough to stop it. Rainbow upon seeing this was barely resisting the urge to laugh.

The two looked on unimpressed and completely annoyed with the alicorn giving the half lion-alicorn a glare of her own that makes it clear that Chama is already making her regret even asking to give him a chance.

“Uh, maybe one more chance?” Kion asked once more to which he thankfully gets when the older elephant nodded in response before wisely leaving along with Bunga who had to resist laughing at Twilight’s expense from past experience.

Unfortunately Rainbow couldn’t resist laughing herself with tears coming out of her eyes. “See ya later, dirt face!” Suddenly while in the midst of her laughing she is yanked by the tail courtesy of Twilight’s magic and is now dangling upside down as she is floating away. “Yeouch!” Upon seeing the glare Twilight was giving her she immediately and wisely shut up until they regrouped back in front of Pride Rock knowing that she deserved it.


Upon regrouping, they all reported of their success together knowing that they are home now.

First Fuli. “Well, Mzaha is back with the antelopes.”

Then Beshte. “And Furaha's home with his troops.”

And then Kion. “Good. Ma Tembo took Chama back too.”

“I bet they're all happy to be with their families again.” Beshte happily expressed.

Bunga agreed but couldn’t help but think about them already. “Yeah. I'll miss 'em though. Not everyone in the Pride Lands can burp their name. It's a talent.”

“It sure is.” Pinkie agreed as she briefly lamented on it too.

“I know…” Rarity not one to support their unusually odd talents sympathized with her friends of having to say goodbye to them for the time being. “…but it is for the best, darlings.”

Just then Kion spotted something close by Pride Rock and looked very alarmed upon seeing it. “Hevi Kabisa... Is that what I think it is?”

Both Ono and Rainbow flew up to get a better look.

“Dry lightning!”

“And it's heading this way!”

Upon seeing the imminent danger Kion was quick to lead the team into taking action. “Lion and Pony Guard, we've gotta make sure nobody's near where that lightning's gonna hit.”

“Or else we’re going to have more casualties to worry about.” Twilight seriously added.

“We should check the watering hole first. It's not safe to be near water in a lightning storm!” Ono advised.

“Great idea, Ono.” Twilight quickly agreed with the suggestion before she and Kion lead the team on over there.

“Till the Pride Lands and Equestria’s end...”

“Lion and Pony Guard defend!”


Meanwhile back where the monkeys live together…

“Where is the monkey? Where did he go?” Furaha laughed while annoying the heck out of two monkeys who trying to help groom each other.

“Quit it, Furaha.”

“Yeah.”

Just then he came face to face with the troop’s leader who is already annoyed with his antics. “We don't wanna play your games.”

Furaha sighed in disappointment. “You are not fun guys.” But then he smiled as he reminded himself of something before leaving. “But I know two who are! I must be with my own kind. Bye!”

“His own kind?” Tumbili asked the others pretty confused himself.

"Well at least he's out of our hair once again." One of the two other monkeys commented in relief upon seeing him leave.

"You said it!" His partner commented in agreement.


At the antelope grazing grounds Mzaha was already following suit by getting on the other antelopes nerves with his playful antics.

“I'm gonna tag you!” He stated while forcing some of the herd to move to get away from him.

Upon hearing and seeing this Bupu was quick to intercept to stop him. “Mzaha! Enough! You're disturbing everyone's grazing!” He sternly scolded.

“But, Bupu, I'm just...”

While understanding his desire to have fun still had to be firm with him in the matter. “Mzaha... Please. Antelopes are not...silly creatures!”

Regardless Mzaha did feel truly bothered before moving to leave. “No matter. I know some silly creatures! Just like me!”

Bupu scoffed in response to what he described their kind. “Silly creature.” But then upon seeing that he is leaving them be he took the time to say to himself before walking off. "Oh well, not our problem anymore."


In no time at all, Furaha and Mzaha have managed to find and regroup with each other, having already missed each other already.

“I guess we fun guys are not meant to live with our herds!” Furaha expressed to his friend still feeling put out and sticking out like sore thumbs.

“I don't understand their problem.” Mzaha expressed still confused himself. “I really like us!”

And much to their luck, they managed to find their third friend eating leaves from a nearby tree all by myself.

“Chama!” Furaha excitably greeted.

“Furaha! Mzaha!”

“You left too, Chama?”

“Yeah. My herd cannot take a joke, and boy have I tried. I mean, sheesh!”

“We three fun guys need to stick together from now on.” Furaha stated on what is a must going forward.

Mzaha couldn’t have said it any better. ”Indeed!”

Three of a Kind

While singing together and expressing how fun it is to be together like their own family they took pleasure in pulling pranks on the other Pride Landers and some of the visiting ponies including Timon, Pumbaa, Thurston, Laini, Twiga, and Makuu.

“So! Who says we go back to our tree?” Mzaha proposed.

The others were quick to agree with that idea.

“Yeah!”

“Let's go!”

And so the three jokesters all made their way back to Rafiki’s tree unaware of the dry lightning storm that is nearby.


Meanwhile, Makini with the peace and quiet her mentor wanted around is now able to concentrate and prepare for the upcoming ritual tonight.

“Uh-huh. Uh-huh!” By following his advice in listening to the Lions of the Pride Lands Past she was able to paint with ease…

“Home sweet home!”

…at least until a familiar voice shouted and disrupted them both with Chama suddenly crashed into Rafiki’s tree again.

“No, no. I say we sleep here, and groom over there.”

“Yeah, it has a nice flow to it.” Furaha agreed just when then exasperated mandrill came to spot them from above again.

“You three! Why are you not with your herds?”

“We just don't belong there.” Mzaha explained just when Rafiki leaped down to them. “It's not us, it's them.”

Makini took pity on them. “Oh, that's so sad.”

But Rafiki on the contrary still remained firm against the idea of them living near his tree. “Sad it may be. But you three cannot stay here. Makini must learn to paint. It is part of her role in the Circle of Life!”

“Oh. I guess it is.” Makini realized herself. “I never really thought about it that way before. I mean, I've thought about it, but I haven't thought about it.”

With that said Rafiki moved to usher them away from here. “Now, go. There are many good trees in the Pride Lands! Make your own home. Just not here.”

“Well, uh, if you say so Rafiki.” Chama reluctantly agreed and accepted his reasons even though nobody really liked it in the slightest.

“Maybe he is not such a fun guy after all.” Furaha whispered to Chama before moving to leave with his friends.

“Bye, Rafiki, Makini. See you around the Pride Lands.” Mzaha said while at the tail end of the group.

Feeling pleased that they at least respect his wishes, Rafiki moved to climb back up the tree, with his sympathetic apprentice looking on still feeling that a compromise could have worked out.

To her she understands why Rafiki finds their behavior disruptive but deep down they are quite a fun pack to have hang around. “If only there was a way that we can all be happy together…” She thought before climbing back up the tree.


Elsewhere, dry lightning has struck nearby the Pride Lands watering hole thus spooking the elephants and hippos who were all having a drink together there.

“What was that?” Zito gasped in alarm upon hearing it.

Next thing everyone there knew they heard Fuli shouting out to them in an alarmed tone of voice. “Everyone! Get away from the water! There's a lightning storm!”

Though everyone still failed to completely grasp why.

“Lightning storm? No...” Zito said in disbelief.

“There isn't any rain!” One of the hippos pointed out.

Ono and Rainbow the next to arrive were quick to clarify.

“That's because it's dry lightning! There isn't any rain!”

“In other words you all need to get out of here now!”

“Follow me!” Kion commanded of them before leading the way.

But just before any of them could even move an inch from the water, lightning struck right in front of them, causing fire to surround them inside the watering hole area.

“Fire!”

“Oh, no!”

The hippos gasped.

“We need a way out.” Twilight shouted before turning to both Rainbow and Ono who quickly spotted another opening to the side.

“Over here.” Rainbow shouted.

“Go!” Fuli moved to lead everyone on over there. But unfortunately another lightning strike was quick to cut them off again while very nearly making contact with Rainbow Dash.

“Yikes! Too late!” Rainbow yelped before sprinted back towards the pack in fright from going through a near-death experience right on the spot. “We're trapped!”

“Zito, can you spray us a path out?” Kion asked of the gasping elephant who was quick to give it a try. But unfortunately for them, with the water they have wasn’t enough to clear an opening. “There's not enough water.”

“Oh, my…” Fluttershy whimpered at their predicament.


At the same time, the thunder it produced could be heard all the way towards Rafiki’s tree. By then, Makini had just finished her latest painting along with a single spark occurring nearby just outside of the tree.

“So, what do you think?”

Rafiki was liking what he was seeing. “Ah! I think...” But suddenly his train of thought got interrupted when he smelled something off. “Hmm.”

“Oh. Uh…” Makini was now confused thinking this is part of her mentor’s thought process. “…do we need to smell the painting too?“

Upon spotting the source his eyes widen in alarm. “Not the painting, Makini. Smoke!” He corrected while leading his apprentice on over to where it is coming from.

“Smoke?”

When they looked down they saw it is indeed smoke, and that’s not the only thing in front of them.

“Fire!” Rafiki exclaimed upon seeing that it is surrounding them.

“Oh, no!” Makini gasped. “Rafiki, we're trapped! What do we do?”


Back at the watering hole, both Ono and Rainbow have managed to spot it from afar.

“Hapana! Rafiki's tree!”

“It's on fire!”

“Heyvi Kabisa!” Kion exclaimed in horror. “Are Rafiki and Makini okay?”

The Guard’s Keenest of Sight tried but is finding it very difficult to spot them. ”I can't see! There's too much smoke!”

Knowing that time is at the essence, Twilight decided to make a quick decision in ensuring they at least have some help on their way. “Rainbow Dash! Take Pinkie Pie! Fly on over there!”

Rainbow was unsure about that call. “But Twilight, what about the rest of you?!”

Twilight firmly insisted by her decision. “We’ll be fine! Just go now!”

Still confused, but none of the less, Rainbow obeyed her command while hoisting Pinkie away from the watering hole.

“Twilight…?” Kion was now confused on what she is thinking to get them all out of this and save everyone until she directed her attention to the nearest and biggest rock while motioning her head towards her own and Rarity’s horns. “Got it!” Turning to the Lion Guard’s Strongest. “We need that rock, Beshte! We've gotta get everyone outta here and go help Rafiki!”

“Rarity!” Twilight called out to her. “Time for the fire and water dance!”

“Got it!” Rarity immediately took action and started making water appear with her magic at the same time Twilight started drawing up the fire that is surrounding them.

Upon connecting with each other, the two traded off control with fire and water while slowly dissipating the flames and tapping horns together. By the way they were dancing, they were essentially in sync in performing the tango together they were effectively putting out the fire together.


At the same time, both Makini and Rafiki were both trapped and left completely helpless unable to do anything about the fire surrounding the tree including a means of escape.

“Help! Help!”

“This is not good!”

Just then she spotted someone up ahead. “Someone's coming!” She happily expressed upon seeing Pinkie and Rainbow Dash coming their way.

“Is it the Lion and Pony Guard?” Rafiki asked.

“No!”

While it’s true both Rainbow and Pinkie are coming, they aren’t the only ones as they both found three figures coming their direction at the exact same time.

“Hang on, you two!” Chama bravely assured while running alongside his companions.

“We're coming to save you.”

“And that is no joke.”

With Chama using his trunk to snort up all of the nearby dirt to clear an opening and Mzaha digging a trench with his small horns, they were all able to make progress together.

“This would be fun if there was not a fire.” Furaha expressed while he Chamba followed after Mzaha while managing to get to both Rafiki and Makini.

“Want a ride?” Chama offered to which the two were more than happy to take up.

Rafiki leaped onto the elephant while Makini leaped onto the antelope so they can escort them to safety.

But when Makini was riding away from the fire, she accidentally dropped her bakora staff. “No! My bakora!” She wanted to go back for it but by then it was already too late.

“You will find another staff.” Rafiki assured her of what’s really important now. “But another you? That cannot be found!” He then turned to his saviors with great gratitude towards them. “Chama. Mzaha. Furaha. Thank you.”

“Yes, thank you so much.” Makini expressed equally grateful for what they just did. “How did you know we were in trouble?”

“I got big ears. They hear things.” Chama answered while moving them for a bit.

“Come on, Chama!” Mzaha urgently said to his friend. “We have to save Rafiki's tree!”

“You got it, pals! It is his home after all!”

Looking on, Rafiki couldn’t help but feel impressed and proud of the kids for what they are doing. And he is not the only one feeling the same way…

From above both ponies who have arrived on the scene were both left very impressed before they both got to work in helping put out the flames surrounding Rafiki’s tree.

“Hang on!”

“We’re coming!”

They both shouted before quickly flying in.

Once Pinkie had swallowed up a gallon of blue cold-looking candies she had in store, Rainbow was ready to use her super speed to put it good use. By flying around the tree as fast as she can while Pinkie breathed her ice cold breath onto the fire, they were able to quickly put out the flames with ease alongside the kids continuing to create a trench and brush dirt in the fire’s direction.


Meanwhile back at the now dry watering hole both Twilight and Rarity have performed the tango long enough to allow Beshte to move the large rock up against the hill to allow everyone to escape.

“Twende Kiboko!”

“Now over here, quick!” Kion instructed everyone while leading them away from the fire.

“This way! Move along! Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!” Bunga ushered while running alongside them with everyone else following suit.

Once everyone was safe, Kion moved to position himself right in front of the watering hole. “Lion and Pony Guard! Get everyone behind me!”

“Get back!” Fuli commanded of everyone as Kion prepares to unleash the Roar to finish the fire off.

Upon seeing what he is about to do, Twilight quickly produced a magical shield to protect herself and Rarity as Kion unleashed the Roar of the Elders to put out the fire while the two twirled like a spinning top together. Once Kion was done roaring, the magic surrounding both ponies cleared up as the two twirled together before making one final pose together after having finished their dance. Rarity hoisting the remains of the dry lightning fire in the shape of a red rose in her magical grasp along with an actual red rose in her mouth while biting the green stem, while being hoisted up in the air by Twilight with a single front fore hoof.

Everyone all cheered for their tango with the two ponies taking a bow together, Kion’s Roar, along with the team’s successful efforts in saving them.

“Thank you all. You saved us.” Zito gratefully expressed.

“And great tango, girls.” The female hippo complimented leaving both girls to blush humbly in response.

Even with the danger passed for now, Kion still had to insist the urge for them to keep playing things safe for the time-being. “Until we know the lightning's over, stay away from water.” Now that they are safe, now they can focus on the other ongoing danger. “Lion and Pony Guard. We have to check to make sure Makini, Rafiki and his tree are safe!”


By the time they arrived, they have witnessed that everything is now under control.

“Rafiki, Makini! Are you okay?” Kion asked to make sure they didn’t suffer any major burns.

“Fine. We are fine.” Rafiki positively replied.

“Not only did Rainbow and Pinkie Pie help put out the fires, Chama, Furaha and Mzaha saved us!” Makini happily added.

“Really?” Kyoga was surprised to hear this.

“The three Bungas / Pinkie’s?” Fuli equally expressed her surprise upon hearing this too.

“Yep!” Rainbow confirmed as she flew on over to them while dropping Pinkie to the ground. “They sure did.”

Ono took a look and saw that it isn’t an exaggeration upon seeing them put out the last of the fires. “Look. She's right!”

Upon extinguishing the last of the flames, the kids all cheered victoriously together.

“Great job, everyone!” Kion complimented them all before turning to the alicorn who winked at him. Kion smiled back knowing that she truly did make a good call in having Rainbow and Pinkie go after Rafiki’s tree to save it.

“My tree. It is saved!” Rafiki happily laughed. “Thank you, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie.” He then turned once more to his saviors. “And you three. There are no words.”

The trio all felt nothing of it like true humble heroes.

“Hey, no problem, Rafiki.”

“We're just glad you and your tree are safe.”

Upon briefly looking at Makini, he came to offer a compromise to show his gratitude towards them. “Yes. My tree. You three. If my tree feels like home to you, then you should stay. But perhaps you could be a little quieter?”

Chama was very grateful at the offer given to them. “Hey, what an offer, Rafiki. And thank you.”

“We do think you're a fun guy.” Furaha complimented. “That's why we originally wanted to live near your tree.”

“But then we found a nice tree over by Big Springs.” Chama then added. “We can be as loud as we want. It feels like home.”

“Yep. It's perfect for our family.” Mzaha also added.

“Your family?” Beshte curiously asked.

“Maybe the reason why we don't fit in with our own herds is 'cause we already have a family.” Chama replied before they all turned to so they can see eye to eye together.

“Each other!” Once more the trio performed their signature greeting to which Twilight giggled at since it reminds her of the signature greeting she shares with Cadance. “Chama cha Mzaha na Furaha! Umph!”

“Makes sense to me.” Kion smiled very understanding of their decision.

“Couldn’t have said it better!” Applejack said with great pride.

“It's beautiful.” Beshte sweetly complimented.

“Aww!” Pinkie then had ocular gushers spew from her big bright blue eyes unable to keep it all inside her to which Rarity was quick to produce an umbrella to shield herself from her friend’s unstoppable crying. Feeling sympathetic for her she handed her friend a box of tissues to which she was quick to accept.

Still wanting to prove his gratitude towards the heroic trio, he moved to give them a special invite. “Well, then at least be my guest at tonight's ceremony for the Royal Family.

The kids were all gracious enough to accept that invitation.

“Yeah!”

“We would love to!”

“Thanks!”

“The ceremony!” Makini realized now feeling suddenly anxious upon being reminded of it. “I hope I'm ready!”

Rafiki calmly remained confident in his apprentice’s ability while placing an assuring hand on her back. “As do I, young one.”


Later that evening, everyone in the Pride Lands and most of the Ponyville residence have all gathered together to witness this memorable occasion.

“As you all know, it is the duty of every Royal Mjuzi to keep the history of the Pride Lands alive.” King Simba announced to the crowd. “Today Makini will take yet another step in that role.” After finishing his opening speech he turned to hand the reigns to his Royal Mjuzi. “Rafiki?”

“Ready?” He asked while handing her the paint she needs to complete her special task.

“I think so.” While deep down still a little nervous, upon spotting Twilight in the crowd gesturing her to performing a deep-breathing exercise while doing it herself, she moved to do the same. And just in an instant she regained her confidence and cool.

She then focused her mind as she briefly listen the Lions of the Past before suddenly smiling upon knowing of what to do next. ”Shwari!” She stated before dipping her fingers in the yellow paint, and then the orange paint, along the other various colors on her palette. When she was done, she had presented her creation to the very curious crowd. The Royal Family of the Pride Lands, featuring the four lions, and in addition the Royal Family of Equestria featuring the four alicorns, along with the white unicorn, Shining Armor. “I did it, Rafiki!”

“Whoa!” The crowd all said in awe upon seeing her stunning painting.

And Rafiki himself was very proud as he moved to congratulate his apprentice for completing that next and important step. “Yes, you did, Makini. Yes, you did.”

Author's Note:

Here in this episode, we have well...the titular characters who briefly lived nearby Rafiki's tree who are all struggling to find a place where they can call home, which makes it difficult when their shared common ground isn't fully appreciated by their herd leaders...for obvious reasons. I mean it's pretty hard to feel bad for them when they have manners and behavior that only Bunga and Pinkie would relish in.

While Makini enjoys spending time with them, Rafiki however isn't feeling the same way, mainly because given that his apprentice is supposed to be preparing for an upcoming ceremony where she gets to paint an important picture for the Royal Family. I mean to be fair, even the wisest and most patient of characters have their limits, and I'm sure with all things considered Rafiki does have reason to frown upon their antics.

But regardless, the kids do prove themselves invaluable when they saved both his and Makini's lives when dry lightning caused a hazardous fire that nearly killed them and helped both Rainbow and Pinkie put out the fire. Furthermore, they have come to fully respect Rafiki along with his need for quiet when needed to the point they managed to find a new place to reside where they can be themselves along without disrupting anyone else there, and got to see Makini paint a beautiful portrait while they were at it.

Next up, the Cutie Map will be calling ponies for their first friendship mission for the first time since the beginning of the season where Bunga and Kyoga will be accompanying Pinkie and Rainbow Dash on their trip to Griffonstone where they will of course mean a familiar griffon who has a big thorn up her beak in regards to them since the last time she saw them. So be on the lookout for that by the end of the month so stay tuned...

PreviousChapters Next