• Published 4th Feb 2023
  • 1,583 Views, 155 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 5) - MXCDarkHorse2020



The Lion and Pony Guard face new friendship lessons and challenges as they continue to expand it across Equestria and the Pride Lands

  • ...
1
 155
 1,583

Chapters Next
Episode 1: The Cutie Map Part One

Episode 1:

The Cutie Map Part One

After Scar’s defeat with the rest of his Legion of Doom imprisoned with only the hyenas and jackals banished back to the Outlands, things have been looking up for everyone.

The Pride Landers are all settling back into their homes, with many of them feeling very happy to back in the comforts of the Savannah full of lush terrain with plenty of grass, plants, and most importantly water for everyone to drink from the watering hole when needed.

Ponies from the Crystal Empire along with in Ponyville and Canterlot are also glad that there is peace in Equestria yet again. To them, it’s another sense of relief that the very magic flowing through the country is keeping them safe and with a lot of harmony around to keep it that way.

In the last month since the events that lead to the tyrannical lion’s reign of terror coming to an end, things have been looking since both parties have starting visiting each other’s worlds more often. The Pride Landers use the time they spend to explore of the new world without any feared repercussions now that the most fearsome devil is now locked away. The Equestrian ponies visited to help the Pride Landers recover from having been separated from their homeland along with having to take up temporary residence in Diamond Valley.

With their help along with the Lion and Pony Guard being there to assist with restoring order to their homes, the trust and the peace is really beginning to be restored throughout the two worlds. It got to the point Celestia and Simba were able to seek and earn forgiveness through many of their subjects who previously doubted them just when Scar took over and the Lion and Pony Guard had complete faith should trouble arise yet again.

After another morning of patrol along with checking up on seeing the recovery on everyone in both realms the Lion and Pony Guard went on over to the castle where Princess Twilight is now currently residing in after the Golden Oaks Library got blown to bits by Lord Tirek.

“Poa!” Beshte was the first to comment upon setting foot in the castle yet again. “This place is just amazing!”

“I know right!” Rainbow commented in agreement while literally star-struck at the sighting like it was only yesterday after helping reclaim Equestria. She moved to fly over to get a good look at the crystal chandelier so she can marvel at it again. “You can say that again!”

“This place is amazing!” The young female mandrill said as she walked inside and started admiring every little thing she sees while rapidly speaking as fast as Pinkie would. “I can’t believe this is actually Princess Twilight’s castle. I mean she is really the luckiest mare to even have around. Did I forget to mention I really love and look up to her? I mean not like as a girlfriend but a really great close friend like you and the others.”

Pinkie giggled before replying. “You did, silly. And speaking of our really special somepony, where is she, anyway?”

“And Bunga too?” Ono added after having noticed that he’s not here yet while turning to Kion. “Doesn’t he usually show by your side when we meet?”

“He does.” He answered with a nod before continuing. “He and Twilight are both on patrol together giving the place one last look to make sure everything’s all right before our meeting.”

“Twilight…”

“…and Bunga…”

“…on patrol together?”

Both Applejack and Fuli both questioned and finished together finding this a rare team up since they never seen just the two of them together.

“That’s what I said.” Kion asserted while looking confused of why this comes off as a surprise to them. “Is there something odd about that?”

“No, expect for the fact that they have never been ones to hang out being just the two of them.” Applejack honestly explained.

“And that this is the first we are hearing of this.” Fuli added.

“Common knowledge really.” Ono also added in agreement with them. “Kind of out of the left field if you ask me.”

“In what way?” Pinkie innocently asked finding it no problem before rambling her fast talking mouth. “Me and Twilight hang out at Sugarcube Corner many, many times since she came back. We even made the “Welcome Back” cake together, along with the “Oh my goodness, you survived getting mauled by Scar” cake, and the “Congratulations for defeating Scar” cake together.” To back up her claims she even showed the multiple pictures she took of them smiling along with them actually doing said baking together. “And through it all we were really having fun together much more so than ever!”

“Hmm…” Rarity thought before speaking her mind. “…I mean I quite understand this may seem odd considering this is the first time we’ve ever heard of this, but I think Pinkie is onto to something.”

“Really?” Pinkie’s ears perked up curiously.

“Of course, darling.” She confirmed before continuing. “Considering she has spent time with us since she first moved here, I think she’s taking the time to find more common ground with the rest of us and try to spend more time with them than what she originally did. It’s kind of like expanding her inner circle a little more.”

“Nothing wrong with that.” Beshte said in agreement with her assessment.

“It’s actually a very good idea for her to get to really know her friends more.” Fluttershy added her input on the manner. “Considering of how much she’s turned herself around into becoming the Princess of Friendship.”

“Exactly, Fluttershy!” Rarity smiled seeing that she is getting what she is saying. “So my guess that she has found something that she and Bunga can do to have fun together.”

“Like what?” Fuli curiously asked while trying to put the bonding time with both Kion’s father along with Pinkie’s bond with Bunga in light to figure out what exactly could the honey badger with many similarities with Pinkie Pie can bond with a studious and intelligent mare with great interest in reading with.


The answer to that question is while both Twilight and Bunga flying over head the Pride Lands Kingdom for any signs of trouble. So far, there weren’t any to threat the new and ongoing peace before the two had decided now was a good time to have some fun before meeting up with the rest of their friends at the alicorn’s new castle.

“Ready, Bunga?” She asked with an eager and determined smile.

“Let’s.” Bunga said while pounding his fists together ready for whatever they had in mind.

She then flies downwards towards the Outlands Volcano where Bunga leaps down and down towards the edge of the cliff where the lava streams flows downward. There Spike who was waiting for them to show up, leaped onto his metal shield at the same time Bunga floated down to the ground. Upon landing Spike tossed the shield onto the lava so Bunga could safely land before they both slid down the volcano together.

Just as they made their way down, Twilight followed suit by sliding down on a metal shield she had handy herself before moving to tail the two in front of her. “Just keep steering! You’re both doing great! I’m right behind you!”

The two then smirked at each other before going all at it trying to go down the volcano faster by sliding downwards like they are both at a recreational ski resort. They were both laughing and having the time of the life along with the alicorn tailing them.

Just then they spotted both Janja and his pack spotting them from around the corner. Before any of them could make a move on either one of them, Twilight casted her magic to send some lava to force them to back off unless they wanted to get burned.

“Out of the way, boys!” Twilight said to them in a teasing manner much to the hyena’s grumbling annoyance.

“Show-off.” He then shouted after her. “And that’s my line!”

Ignoring him, the three slid downwards where they find themselves going down a spiral ride due to the stream going around and around the volcano where they find that the hyenas and jackals have decided to pursue them on foot to try to catch them on the nearby foot path.

“Uh-oh, what to do?” Twilight asked them with a smile. Clearly, they have done this before so they all weren’t too worried when faced with the Outsiders trying to gain up on them.

So when Reirei and Goigoi tried to attack them when they crossed over they were all ready to react accordingly.

“We’ve got you now, intruder!”

“Guess again, Reirei!”

Both the lead jackal and dragon exchanged just Twilight swooped in and both Spike and Bunga leaped onto her wings to fly over their heads easily avoiding the sharp teeth from both husband and wife who both wound up crashing head first into the nearby rocks in front of them.

“Hot wings…” Goigoi said with said meat on bones that he is imagining floating over his head before passing out.

“I hate the Lion and Pony Guard.” Reirei grumbled in defeat.

Both Spike and Bunga and then dropped down on their shields after Twilight flew them over the following loop around the volcano.

With the end of the stream nearing, the two both got themselves ready to jump as they reached the dead end shaped like a ramp leading over towards the many pillars. Once they all reached it, they both jumped up just when Twilight swiftly scooped them up with her wings.

With great speed and adrenaline rushing through her body, Twilight moved to have both of them ride on her back before moving to make big leaps on each and every one of the pillars from the Outlands Volcano to Flat Ridge Rock. Once she reached the last pillar she gave herself a fire-enhanced boost so she can kick start her flying again. She then flew a few loop-de-loops before making her way towards the portal inside Pride Rock. Before entering the cave she pulled up one of the shields before performing a front flip onto just when she landed on the edge of Pride Rock before sliding her way downwards inside.

Both Simba and Nala having seen her coming, both easily stepped aside while shaking their heads finding it very amusing, yet impressed and pleased to see her smiling and having fun for the first time in a while.


Upon arriving nearby the Tree of Harmony, Twilight gave herself another boost up towards the sky before moving to descend down towards the Ponyville Castle where she managed to kick the doors open before performing another front flip along with both Spike and Bunga.

“Woo-hoo!” Twilight cheered.

“We did it!” Bunga exclaimed as they shared high-fives together.

“That was fun!” Spike exclaimed with his arms raised up in the air triumphantly.

Upon opening her eyes, she found the rest of the friends all staring at all wide-eyed at what they just saw and unable to process of what to make of this.

Quickly recomposing herself she moved to trot ahead towards the throne room, still smiling like it’s another day of a casual lifestyle. “Shall we?” She gestured towards said room before moving ahead like nothing happened.

“Of course.” Kion was the first to get over his brief shock before following after his princess partner with the rest of the Guard following suit seconds later.

“What kind of fun were you three having?” Rainbow curiously asked in a whisper to both Bunga and Spike.

“Something that you would love doing if you saw it yourself.” Spike replied still riding on the thrills of the last hour on his mind.

“Something along the lines of a winter skiing trip as a spy on a mission expect riding down on a stream of lava while being pursued by bad guys.” Bunga added with closed eyes and a proud walking stance.

“No way!” Rainbow could already start feeling eager and envious at the fun activity they along with Twilight have just introduced themselves to. “Better count me in the next time you three plan on doing it!”

“Will do!”

“The more the merrier!”

With the morning fun out of the way, now it is time to get down to business as everyone sat down on their respective throne chairs circling around the new table placed on the golden star center of the room. Like what everyone was thinking, it wasn’t too long ago of when the two worlds briefly torn apart and was almost ruled by an evil lion turned half alicorn and how everything that had happened led to this, a new castle, a new half alicorn prince, and a new era of peace all after one day of triumphant over evil.

With everyone standing near their seats, Twilight Sparkle stood at the center of the room with Kion standing beside as she paced in front of him speaking of her opening thoughts. "Let's go through this one more time."

Rainbow Dash sighed in annoyance as she sat on her throne to which her cutie mark on her chair glowed when it happened. "We've been over it like a million times, Twilight! We found all seven keys, you and Kion defeated Tirek and then later you would defeat Scar himself, Princesses Celestia and Luna, King Simba, and Queen Nala all defeated the changelings and Outsiders, Kyoga and Fuli helped Shining Armor and Princess Cadance defeat King Sombra, we defeated Janja, Reirei and the rest of their packs, and you got this sweet castle to share with Kion! End of story!"

"Yes, but why?"

“Why now?” Ono asked as he landed on his throne which had its mark image glow too

“Well considering we had to deal with the Sirens and the Evil Lions of the Past, along with me having to deal with court-ordered community service gives me little time to fully discuss it. That’s why.”

"I dunno, sugarcube." Applejack interjected as she sat down in her own throne, which also had her cutie mark image which also started to glow. "Maybe it's just your new house and there ain't nothin' more to it than that."

Rarity smiled in agreement as she sat on her own throne, and the image of her cutie mark glowed too. "I must say, speaking strictly on aesthetics, there really doesn't need to be more to it. It's all simply divine!"

“That’s true.” Fuli remarked having to come to agree with the others as well along with sitting down on her throne too with her mark on the chair glowing too. “We all know happened. Nothing more to discuss about further.”

Fluttershy was the next to sit down in her own throne, and the image of her cutie mark glowed as well. "I agree with Fuli. And Rarity. And Applejack. And Rainbow Dash. And Ono. And Beshte. And Bunga. And Kyoga. And Fuli. And Kion. Oh, and probably Spike."

With nothing else to say both Twilight and Kion both to sit in their thrones, both next to each other, and once they did, they both noticed the symbol of their cutie marks was glowing simultaneously. The others followed suit as the marks glowed even brighter than ever before.

The glows shined brightly as the colorful rays combined to create a rainbow shimmer that shined onto the central star of the room. The castle began to shake and rumble, beside their thrones, crystal rocks emerged and grew, reaching the center of the star that was in the center of the room.

“Whoa…”

“…What is happening?!”

Both Bunga and Ono exclaimed with the latter speaking out of feared uncertainty when the room was covered by a great big shining bright white light after the rocks reached the room’s center area. When that happened their along with Spike’s jaws dropped with what appeared before their very eyes…

At the very center stood a large round stone table, showcasing all of Equestria, from Canterlot, to Ponyville, to the Crystal Empire, like a huge real-life like map. There was even an image that showcased every part of the area within the Pride Lands Kingdom up to the Outlands territory itself. Everyone else was left stunned with open jaws and wide eyes at what appeared before their very eyes.

“Hevi Kabisa!” Kion gasped.

"Is that new?" Spike asked before being the first to smile. "I like it."

“Apparently…” Kyoga said as she is still observing the map itself while moving to close Ono’s still open jaw. “…and something to get used to since it shows every part of the two kingdoms.”

Ono floated over as he scanned every part of the map like he’s seen all of this before. “It does! It’s got all of Equestria, all of the Pride Lands, the Crystal Empire and even the Outlands here!”

Spike began waking over the map as he got a closer look at everything on it. ”And there's Apple Looza, Fillydelphia…"

Pinkie Pie spotted the rock farm where she grew up in, "Hi, Mom and Dad!" then, Spike unknowingly stomped onto the holographic image, causing the poor Pinkie Pie to tear up.

“It’s okay, Pinkie…” Beshte quickly comforted with a smile. “…it’s not real.” Pinkie smiled in relief hearing and seeing this.

Kion then noticed an image of the three portals. One inside the Pride Rock cave, One beside Pride Rock, and the other just outside of Diamond Valley. Curious, he tapped a claw on the portal and in an instant, the map shifted showing just the Equestria kingdom. Then he tapped it again which had the map shift again showing the Pride Lands kingdom. Then again, showing Diamond Valley, then the Crystal Empire, before tapping it again to show all of the kingdoms they seen in the past.

“Poa!”

“Wow!"

Both Beshte and Fuli remarked in amazement with the map capabilities as Kion worked his paws into fiddling with into levitating the far away kingdoms aside the air while keeping both the Pride Lands and Equestria kingdom still on the table.

Even though he’s only had his new powers since the day he became half alicorn, he was still learning well as evidenced by the impressed smile Twilight was giving him. “Impressive.”

“Thanks.”

“Ooh, look. That’s the Utamu tree.” Bunga gasped happily before Spike ended up stepping on that image too. “Aww.” He pouted sadly.

Suddenly, Kion felt an odd sensation coming from his right arm, nothing he isn’t used to given that’s how his Mark of the Guard first appeared. Unsure, if he did something that caused him to lose it had him look both sides to fully understand what was going on, when it was really his cutie mark and Mark of the Lion Guard both glowing and vibrating.

Twilight felt her cutie mark do the same all with the rest of the Mane Six and the Lion Guard. Holographic images of their marks began to float up into the air, with both Twilight and Kion’s at the center and all the rest circling around it. All twelve hovered over the map before stopping over a deserted area in Equestria near the desert. In order to get a better look, Twilight gently levitated Spike off of the table and back down beside her.

"But if this is Ponyville, why are our cutie marks over there?" Fluttershy asked, pointing at the area where the marks were currently located.

"I don't know." Twilight replied unsure herself. "But it seems like the map wants us to find out." She then smiled enthusiastically ready for the idea of a road trip. "Think about it; The Tree, the chest, this castle, and now the map. How can we not follow it?"

Rainbow Dash floated over to wehere the marks floated upon. "Y'know what? There's a ton of room for dangerous adventure along that route. Count me in!"

“Me too!” Bunga stated with both arms up. “Don’t think I’m not going with you!”

“I wouldn’t expect you not to turn it down.” Kion smiled in response before turning to the others. “How about the rest of you?”

“Sure, I’ll come.” Fuli said with a smile never one to pass down a team mission.

“Me too.” Beshte replied.

"Aw, shoot, I reckon you're right." Applejack responded with a simple shrug.

Ono looked unsure about the idea out of typical nervousness of what will happen next even when things are at peace with Scar locked away, but he obliged. “Of course.”

“Anything to keep you and Twilight out of trouble.” Kyoga said to which the latter blushed in response to that knowing exactly what she’s talking about.

"Well, I was planning on organizing my baking sheets, but okay!” Pinkie eagerly vouched her support.

Rarity sighed in agreement not excited compared to the rest of her friends. "Very well."

The rest of the group then looked upon Fluttershy the only one who has yet to give her answer. "Um, maybe I'll just stay here with Spike."

"Awesome!" The little dragon was now wearing a soda drinking hat and a foam finger on his right claw. "Me, Mtoto, and Big Mac have a huge weekend ahead of us talkin' hoofball, and... and trading hoofball cards, and arguing about hoofball stats…"

“Wait, wait, wait!” Fuli interrupted. “Mtoto and his guy friends are joining you for guys night? Aren’t they a little young for that?”

“It’ll be all right, Mtoto’s mom said it’s okay as long as we keep them out of trouble and make sure they go to bed on time.” Spike reassured.

"O-o-on second thought, m-maybe I'd better go with them." Fluttershy quickly said with Spike having spoken her case. "In case they need me."

"Looks like it's time for a road trip." Twilight said as she got up from her throne ready to lead the Lion and Pony for another exciting adventure and mission and for the first time since the whole war with Scar started…

…yet unaware of said fallen and imprisoned lion watching from his prison bubble with silent satisfaction that the small glimmers of hope have been placed in his favor.


Just then he heard a glimmer sounding ring tone coming from his prison bubble. With a few taps of his claws he magically answered the call to show a shadowed figure appearing on his screen.

“I’ve spread word all over Equestria. So now what?”

“Now, you meet and greet your newest guests and keep them busy and once you got them right where you want them, contact me. I’ll be waiting.”

“Got it. I won’t disappoint.”

Mysterious caller hung up and ended the transmission.

“Oh…” Scar said to himself still very pleased. “…I’m sure either way you can be sure you haven’t. And with the Lion and Pony Guard occupied, you have already helped me allowed me an opportunity to cut loose.” He chuckled to himself as he patiently awaits for his new employee’s call ready to spring on said opportunity he is looking for.


All while Zira and Chrysalis both watched on silently not even daring to say a word since their boss is having none of their bickering while imprisoned unsure how this is going to help them. While not locked in the loop, they had their faith in him knowing if he can figure out a way to get them out of this prison it’s him.

The next day, everyone all set out for their location via train with both Kion and Twilight carrying Beshte outside so they can fly alongside for the ride and the latter won’t have to go through the trouble of squeezing and getting stuck inside the train doors again.

At least this time with Kion being half-alicorn he gained some earth pony strength that allowed him to pull his friend’s weight and the fact that the Lion Guard’s Strongest saw this as an opportunity to do some sight-seeing in the open along with getting the feel of actually flying.

It was a sweat breaking process for the two leaders but it was manageable from their train station up to the last train station that’s closet to their actual destination.

“Phew!” Twilight wiped the sweat off of her forehead. “Talk about getting some excerise.”

“I’ll say.” Kion commented in agreement as he stopped to catch his breath.

“Sorry, guys.” Beshte sheepishly apologized.

“No, no.” Kion quickly shook his head from thinking otherwise. “It’s all right, I needed the practice in learning how to use my wings and build up my strength.”

“And you did a very good job.” Twilight complimented just when the others exited the train leaving everyone looking on at the village not too far away from here. “Keep it up and you’ll be flying fast and strong in no time.”

Kion smiled in response to her encouragement before turning back towards where their calling is just down the hill from where they were standing. “And now that we’re here, let’s get a move on.”

Rarity was the first to get a head start once they started walking after dusting off her mane once more. "Right. let's get down there and find the spa."

The unicorn walked on ahead until she was stopped by Twilight, who teleported in front of her with a hoof on her chest. "Wait. We don't know why the map sent us here. We shouldn't just walk right in. It could be dangerous.”

"Yes!" Rainbow cheered. She loved danger.

And so did Bunga. “I love dangerous things.”

“Then you better tone it down because this isn’t the Ponyville waterpark.” Fuli sternly quipped to the honey badger.

“But you don’t even like water and Ponyville doesn’t have a waterpark.”

“Not yet.” Pinkie said in a sing-song tone much to Fuli’s eye-rolling irritation.

“Sarcasm, Pinkie Pie. You too, Bunga.” She muttered before dropping it for now.

“Twilight’s right.” Kyoga said to the two. “We don’t know what and who is down there already. For all we know somebody might be expecting us.”

“No worries, Kyoga.” Pinkie happily assured before stepping forward with a serious expression on her face. “Stay behind me, everybody! I'm on it!"

"Careful, Pinkie!" Applejack called after she as she stood at the very tip of the ledge. She then rolled down the hill, completely unharmed, and stopped behind a rock, looking around. She was in total spy mode. She silently gestured the others to follow her. She then hid underneath various rocks, while still being cautious.

“Ono?” Kion asked of him who nodded before flying up ahead so he can scan the place himself.

“Affirmative.”

When the rest of the Guard managed to catch up to Pinkie she crawled out from under a very large boulder though struggled it lift it up a bit leading to Beshte to quickly assist her. As the hippo gave her a hoof, she gestured the others to move along before the pony herself dragged the large rock along with her, despite its size. From there, they were all able to get a better look at the place up close.

Up close, the place looked like an ordinary and seemingly peaceful village they had seen. Three were earth ponies, unicorns and Pegasus ponies all around, yet not one of them stood out amongst one another and they were all widely smiling. Every single one of them.

"This is where the map sent us?” Rainbow questioned feeling disappointed. “It looks like the most boring place in Equestria."

“Talk about disappointing.” Bunga said in agreement as he looks on disgusted with what they are seeing. “It’s just a normal town with normal ponies."

“Nothing wrong with that.” Beshte commented trying think positively about it yet noticed the dull coats the ponies had compared to their skin and fur color. “Although it could use a little living up with color.”

"I think it's lovely." Fluttershy added.

However, one of them strongly disagreed. “I don't like it. I don't like it one bit." Pinkie Pie narrowed her eyes at the town ponies, "I know smiles. And those smiles? They're just not right."

“Strangely so.” Fuli commented as he flew down to regroup with everyone as they all look on at every smiling pony. “You would think one would take a break from all of the smiling like they for some reason are forced into doing so.”

The others took a look at the smiles everypony was showing and came to find it pretty strange itself. They were smiling all the time not one seemed natural yet forced. One would think that it would truly hurt from having to smile constantly. In addition, all of the male ponies had the same identical hairstyle, cut, neat with two separate bangs while all of the females shared the same bangs and wore their manes in either the form of braids, buns or straight.

“Forget the smiles because that’s not the only thing rather off around here…” Ono commented as he flew down to regroup with the others.

“…Look at the cutie marks." Twilight finished as she pointed a hoof towards the markings on the ponies' flanks. Each and every single pony had the exact same cutie mark. A dull grey colored equal sign.

"Okay, that's weird." Rainbow Dash said with increasing bewilderment.

“Quite.” Kyoga agreed. “And quite some strange magic at works here.”

“I know.” Twilight said as she shares the lioness’s suspicion. “A strange village with the same cutie mark. How can that be?”

"I bet there's some sort of horrific monster behind it." Rainbow Dash threw in with locked eyes at the village ponies.

"What makes you say that?" Fuli asked anticipating her response already. “Cause it would exciting?”

“Exactly!” Bunga cheerfully replied.

"'Cause fighting a horrific monster would be super-awesome!" Rainbow added while Fuli looks on clearly unamused as she shook her head.

“Of course it would.”

"I reckon we just ought to head into town and talk to some locals, find out what's goin' on." Applejack suggested.

“Sounds good to me.” Kion liked the idea before leading the way to town.

Rainbow was the first to go on ahead to the village as she sped ahead. "Then let's go!"

The others followed suit while Pinkie Pie kept her suspicious eyes on the ponies. "Those smiles are bad news."

“I hear you, Pinkie.” Kyoga said as she and Twilight walked beside her. “Something weird is going on here.”

“Couldn’t have said it any better.” Twilight agreed as she too feels some mastermind might be actually waiting for them to come here. Little does she realize that said pony watching from the shadows and curtains of the front window is eyeing her and her friends with locked interest upon executing it.


Once they arrived, all of the town ponies looked upon their new visitors, causing The Lion and Pony Guard to feel completely unsettled immediately. Everyone was instantly giving them that wide smile without even blinking once. There’s clearly something going on around here and it was something that the alicorn’s gut can feel deep down inside even as they were given friendly welcomes.

"Welcome!"

"Welcome!"

"Welcome!"

"Welcome!"

"Welcome!"

Every pony said to their visitors.

“Uh…” Kion wasn’t quite sure how to respond to this but still did with. “…Thank you. Thank you everypony.”

Others like Fuli and Kyoga tilted their heads backwards finding it a little disturbing, while Beshte and Ono didn’t know what to say in response, and Bunga moved closer to his best friends Kion and Beshte so he’ll feel safer being here.

"This must be the most pleasant place in Equestria!" Fluttershy said, being the only member of the team who sees the bright side to all of this.

"Welcome!" A female Pegasus greeted when she flew up to her. Her coat was dark grayish-blue coat, a white mane with light gray streaks, styled much like the rest of the female ponies, including the similar bangs over her forehead, but had a loose mane in contrast to the others.

"My name is Night Glider."

"Nice to meet you, Night Glider. I'm Fluttershy."

The two pleasantly exchanged in one of the more sincere greetings thus far.

Rainbow Dash however groaned in frustration with what she is seeing so far. "Ugh. Thanks a lot, map." She said under her breath. She was hoping for adventure, not a trip to visit a town full of creepy smiles in a perfect utopia-like environment.

“Really great job in bringing us all the way out her for nothing.” Bunga likewise muttered to himself just when a male unicorn approached the team.

His coat was a light grey (yet duller compared to the main cast’s), and his pale moderate dark blue mane styled with a simple bang. He wore a brown, worn out cloak tied together with a rope.

"Welcome! Pardon my forwardness, but are you an Alicorn?" He asked the purple mare.

Twilight smiled in response. "Of course. If I wasn’t that, what would I be?"

“Probably a mix between a lion and unicorn like your friend here.” The male unicorn replied gesturing to her winged partner who sheepishly smiled and kept his wings folded feeling embarrassed himself.

“Right…” She said seeing that he got her there. “…but yes, I am an Alicorn, and so is my friend here. Well, technically half lion, half alicorn.” She gestured to herself and Kion. “Prince Kion himself and I’m Princess Twilight.”

“Not only that, but she’s the Princess of Friendship!" Applejack added gesturing to Twilight first then Kion. “And he’s the Prince of Friendship.”

"Well, you've certainly come to the right place for friendship." The unicorn said, with the last word said creepily to which induced a shudder in the alicorn’s spine just when another stallion appeared next to him. He was a white coated pony from head to hoof with an identical mane-style and blue eyes.

"What brings you to town?" he asked.

"We're not entirely sure other than paying this town a little visit to see what’s it like." Kion confessed.

“I see. Well, all are welcome here in our little village. My name is Double Diamond."

The country pony moved to greet him. "Howdy, Double Diamond. I'm Applejack, and this here's Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Bunga, Beshte, Fuli, Kyoga, and Ono."

Double Diamond then studied the ponies, particularly their flanks, "And you all have your own unique cutie marks." He said as he gazed upon them to which Kion placed a paw on his cheek along with using his tail to cover the one on his shoulder in embarrassment along with blushing too.

Twilight spoke to the two ponies, hoping to find an answer to all of the strangeness going on around here. "If you don't mind, has there been any sort of... trouble here, lately?"

"Trouble? Why, I don't think we've ever had trouble in our little village." Double Diamond innocently replied.

“Are you sure?” Kion asked not convinced yet treading lightly before speaking confidently and sounding intrigued. “Don’t suppose you could tell us more about these unique cutie marks? I’ve never seen anything quite like them.

"We'd me more than happy to tell you." Double Diamond happily replied. "Perhaps you would like to speak to our founder and leader, Starlight Glimmer."

“Great! Thanks!”

"Follow us, please."

The team smiled seeing this is actually going in the direction they want it to go while following after them.

“Good job.” Twilight whispered proudly.

"Thanks.” Kion thought nothing of it.

"I wish everypony in Equestria was as friendly as these ponies are." Fluttershy commented.

“Me too.” Beshte agreed.

But Pinkie Pie still disagreed. "I've got my eye on them. Something's rotten in... whatever the name of this village is that we're in right now!"

“You said it sister.” Bunga agreed alongside her. “Something is just plain stinky here.”

“Says the honey badger stinking up a storm.” Ono retorted while flying ahead to avoid being behind another one of his silent storms from the rear. As soon as he got fresh air, his face stopped appearing to be green. “But seriously though, that’s very rude of you two, even if your claims are correct.”

“Of course I’m correct.” Pinkie snarled while snagging the egret up to her eyes. “Just look at those faces!” She forced him to look at them.

“Okay.” Ono replied while barely able to get that single word out due to the grip the pink pony was holding him in before slipping out unharmed. “Sorry.”

Double Diamond and Party Favor led their guests to the lone house that stood at the opposite end of town. Both knocked on the door, once it was opened the two stallions entered the house, with the Lion and Pony Guard following after them inside.

"Starlight, we have some new visitors." Double Diamond announced.

Once inside, they team took a look around. The room itself was a simple brown color, with brown and gray stones, and images of the equal cutie mark on the walls. This equal sign further triggered increased suspicion inside Twilight’s mind feeling that something is amiss here as they look on in the direction of where the pony they’re about is meet is, right behind the door on the opposite side of the room with said hoof-steps approaching from the other side of the door.

"Be ready to fight." Rainbow whispered to both Bunga and Applejack, "We don't know what's gonna come through that door."

Bunga took up a fighting stance. “Ready.”

The door opened and out stepped a young unicorn mare. She had blue eyes, a bright pink coat, a purple mane with light blue streaks in it, styled in a loosely done high long ponytail, with a matching colored and equally styled tail. Even though she had a bright coat much like the visitors, she still shared the equal sign cutie mark that the rest of the ponies in town had.

"Welcome! I'm so pleased to have you here."

Rainbow Dash and Bunga both groaned in frustration, expecting a real monster, not an innocent unicorn.

"This is Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Kyoga, Fuli, Ono, Beshte, Bunga, Twilight Sparkle and Kion."

The prince and princess both smiled at the young unicorn with the latter’s more forced and humble with her’s as she took notice of their wings. "Forgive my bluntness, but I'm assuming it's Princess Twilight Sparkle and Prince Kion? We don't get many Alicorns around here. Or lions, tigers, bears, or any animals in that regard."

"Yes, but "Twilight" and "Kion" is fine." Twilight politely replied with her suspicious emotions held to her chest just feeling more alarmed internally just looking at her.

“Nice to meet you Starlight.” Kion greeted with a relaxed smile and offered paw to shake her hoof with. “Name sure gives a glimmer of magic to it.”

Starlight chuckled as she shook his paw. “Oh, you are such a kidder, sparkling on that pun charm of yours. Sounds like your princess has taught you well.” Both prince and princess briefly turned to each other in confusion in response. “So…” She then pressed forward with the current topic at hoof. “…how did you and your comrades hear of our little village?"

"It's kind of a long story." Twilight simply replied. "Something we just found on a map."

"Technically, it's a Tree-chest-castle-map!" Pinkie Pie pointed out with a smile, before dropping back down toglaring at Starlight and sliding away from view.

But regardless Starlight shrugged it off. "Well, however you found us, we're happy to have you! We're happy to have anypony who wants to experience true friendship for the first time."

Applejack arched an eyebrow in response. "Say what?"

So did Fuli. “True friendship?”

"Oh, indeed. That's what's so unique about our village, you see." Starlight explained as she moved to adjust the image of an equal sign on the wall, "Around here, we don't flaunt our special talents because we don't have any special talents to flaunt."

“What?!” Bunga gasped. “No special talents!”

"Nope." Starlight shook her head still smiling proudly.

“Aw, dung beetles.” Bunga sadly hung his head getting the hint “No.” means none at all. Not even special bug eating or stinking talents.

"Is that why you all have those cutie marks?" Twilight asked while eyeing the mark on her flank.

Starlight briefly looked back with a small and unnoticeable frown sensing that this alicorn princess is as smart as she thought. Perhaps maybe a little too smart. But nevertheless, she can deal with her later. "Perhaps it would be easier to understand if I gave you a tour of the village!" She then offered as resumed smiling before leading the Guard back outside.

Starlight walked out the door with a marching drum was heard from behind. She likewise marched out with all of the town ponies following her.

“Heads high, ponies! Marching proud! All together now! Every one of you! No pony left behind!" She instructed everyone before singing.

“Life is so grand in our town

We're always filled with cheer

We never have to look around

To know that we're all here.”

The ponies marched and sang around the Lion and Pony Guard who all looked on warily especially Twilight, Kion, Kyoga, and Pinkie Pie.

“In our town, in our town

We don't have to wait

To find out that our destiny

Is just to emulate.”

The citizens sang together

“Let's see those big, happy smiles!" Starlight once more repeated.

Life is a smile in our town

Our cutie marks the same

Because we do not separate

Ourselves by more than name.”

Two male Pegasus ponies sang to Rainbow Dash and Ono, much to their discomfort.

“In our town, in our town

We dare not compete

Winning only breeds the worst

Ego-filled conceit.”

The citizens all continued singing.

"You see? Now everypony wins!" Starlight enthusiastically told everyone.

“Life is a joy in our town

We're all equal here

No one is superior

And no one shakes in fear.

In our town, in our town

We work as a team

You can't have a nightmare

If you never dream.”

Amongst the unconvinced party, Fluttershy and even Beshte were the only ones who were okay with all of this, believing the ponies were genuinely happy as Starlight Glimmer sang to the Pony Guard.

“Other ponies argue

Do you ever wonder why?

When you think your talent's special

You don't see eye-to-eye.”

As she sang that part of the song, she smiled at Twilight who still felt really unnerved by the way she was looking at her like she has sinister intent against her.

“There's just too many differences

That lead to disarray

But when you learn to act as one

It's like a holiday.”

Starlight continued to sing.

“In our town, in our town

We don't complicate.”

The citizens sang as Fluttershy nodded her head to the music, but Pinkie Pie glared her while shaking her head against it much to her sadden disappointment.

“When you learn to simplify

Life is oh, so great

Join in our utopia

Come out of the dark

Banded by equality

By our cutie mark!”

Two rows of ponies smiled as the Pegasus ponies flew up with an equal banner as Starlight stood at the center.

Rainbow Dash burst out laughing at the very idea. "You're kidding, right? Give up our cutie marks? No way!"

"Rainbow Dash, don't be so rude." Fluttershy chastised. "I don't think we should judge them. They all seem perfectly happy with their choice."

"Don't believe their smiles, Fluttershy." Pinkie Pie once more repeated in disgust.

"I'm sorry, I guess we're still a little confused by all of this." Twilight apologetically replied on behalf of the team.

"We have no judgements here in our village. Each of us was confused once as well, blinded by the false promise of our cutie marks." Starlight assured even though they both aware deep down it’s not completely believable.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Is she for real?" Rainbow asked in disbelief, only to be glared at by Twilight to be quiet before speaking to Starlight.

“Sorry about that.” She apologized before continuing. “When we were sent here to this village we assumed it was to help in some way, but it seems you all don’t need any help.”

Still smiling she approached the wary pony who has yet to piece everything together. “Have you considered perhaps that you might have been sent here so that we could help you?” Starlight asked as she placed a hoof on her chest.

“No.” She honestly replied while masking the unease she is truthfully feeling. “With all things considered why would we?”

“You never know.” She answered which left it feeling somewhat vaguely amiss to her. “After all, nopony has ever come to our village and wanted to leave. Why should you be any different? Please, enjoy our little corner of Equestria. We're all quite fond of it. No doubt you will be as well." She said the last part while flashing a brief smirk in Twilight’s direction.

“We’ll see about that.” She politely responded. “After all, we do have the choice in the matter.”

“Of course.” She accepted it none of the less before turning to the pony who introduced them to her. “ Double Diamond, please help our guests with whatever they might need."

"Of course." the white pony happily smiled at the request as Starlight Glimmer walked away, smiling to herself.

"Well, this will certainly provide a boost to our little community. When the rest of Equestria sees that a princess gave up her cutie mark to join us, they'll finally understand what we're trying to accomplish."

Unbeknownst to her, Twilight’s widen her eyes from behind indicating that she heard the unicorn’s every secretive word and has just figured it out from here what is truly going on.

“Twilight?” Kion asked being the first to notice this. “You okay?”

“Hmm-mmm.” She gulped while forcing herself smile. “I’ll explain later. But for now…” She gestured and led everyone to follow after Double Diamond after recomposing herself.


The Lion and Pony Guard received more “friendly” Welcome’s from the town ponies which still didn't make them feel welcome in the slightest as they followed after the purple alicorn trying to keep her emotions and thoughts to her chest until it was safe to talk.

“So…” Fuli spoke up hoping to talk about something about the strangeness around here. “…is it just me or there is something really weird going on around here?”

“You’re not the only one, Fuli.” Ono assured while shifting his eyes around nervously at the creepy smiles and stares from everypony. “I mean ponies having equal signs as opposed to the ones every other pony including Kion and Kyoga have. How is that natural?”

“It’s not!” Pinkie whisper-hushed as she vehemently and assertively stated her mindset once more.

“I know.” Kyoga agreed. “A cutie mark is a representation of a pony and lion’s unique talent’s and skill, there’s just no way that’s possible for more than one pony to have.”

“Exactly!” Twilight stated. “How is it possible to…” She is suddenly interrupted when Rarity gasped in shock.

"What in the name of Simba is that?!" she pointed to a shop that sold worn, old brown, and boring cloaks, the same one Party Favor wore as well.

"Welcome! Care to sample some local fashion? We've got cloaks this month!" The shopkeeper kindly greeted and offered.

Rarity did nothing to hide her disgust, gagging at the sight before masking it out being polite for the sake of manners. "Wha— Ooh, er, perhaps another time, good sir, thank you." The gang all moved to sit at nearby wooden tables. "No wonder nopony's wearing anything!" Rarity whispered to Applejack.

“Really, girls!” Fluttershy chided her friends. “They may do things a bit differently than we're used to, but that's no reason to be rude."

"No, the reason to be rude is that they all keep staring at us!" Rainbow retorted in a hushed tone while the others ponies observed them. All while maintaining their forced wide smiles.

“Very rude if you ask me.” Bunga whispered to Rainbow while looking aside with disdain much like Pinkie throughout their visit here so far.

“You took the words right out of my mouth, Bunga.” Fuli commented before turning to Fluttershy with a soften expression before trying to be sympathetic about it. “And Fluttershy…I understand that you’re very accepting of them no matter what and it’s not that we dislike anyone different from us. It’s just there is something really strange and suspicious going on around here. I mean, how would you feel if everypony had the same cutie mark as yours, as in each and every one of them had the exact cutie mark you have right now?”

“Probably a little uncomfortable, but still accepting regardless.” She answered while seeing her point yet firm on her stance in the matter. “Besides, they could be very helpful if we asked them nicely about it.”

“Need something?" Double Diamond asked from the opposite table across from the Guard as he is being tended to be the waitress at that moment.

Twilight politely waved back. "Uh, no! We're good!" She then spoke in a hushed tone to her friends, "Fluttershy's right. If we're going to get to the bottom of how these ponies lost their cutie marks, we're going to need their help."

“But how?” Kion asked. “As long as they keep staring at us, it seems that they don’t want us to figure out the truth about Starlight and whatever she is hiding from us.”

Truthfully, Twilight pieced everything together and wanted to tell everyone but she couldn’t risk telling them right now and here out in the open while everyone was looking right at her. So she had to let everyone else do the talking hoping that maybe she can find a way to private disclose her valuable thoughts.

"If you ask me I think we ran off to the end of Equestria for nothin'?" Applejack commented feeling mighty annoyed herself.

"If we were at the end of Equestria, we'd be standing on a giant 'A'!" Pinkie giggled. "Get it?"

Bunga giggled too. “I did!”

Rarity hoof palmed herself while Ono and Fuli groaned in disgust.

“Seriously?”

“Really?”

The cheetah and egret both asked blankly and unamused.

"Oh, please, Miss Pie! This is hardly the time for jokes!" Rarity chastised.

“Yeah!” Ono stated firmly. “All we know is we went all the way here to find a peaceful resolution to everypony’s problem and what do we find?!” He then slammed his wings on the table. “A lot of nothing!”

Beshte moved his head up close to Ono taking pity on his understandable frustration. “Well , we’re here now. And we might as well keep trying while we’re here.” Hearing this Ono calm down after seeing that he is speaking out frustration.

“What else have we got to lose?” Kyoga added with a shrug.

"Nothing other than tossing aside two bits that'll get you a cup of cider." Applejack replied missing the fact that was a rhetorical question.

The pony waitress who was standing right in front them during this moved to pipe up. "Is this a bad time?" She asked. Said pony is a unicorn mare with a gray pink coat, a dark grey magenta mane styled into a bun and rose colored eyes.

"We shouldn't be bickering like this in front of our new friends." Fluttershy scolded. "Really, you two are almost as bad as Rainbow Dash!"

"Don't drag me into this!" Rainbow retorted.

“Or me!”

“And me! We’re not the ones making strange pixie dust that smells like a skunk’s butt!” While still smiling the older ponies began covering the ears of their young ones to avoid having them here what they just said. “Heh, heh…” Bunga chuckled realizing he said that out loud. “…everything’s all good. Excuse my language and carry on!” He waved to the crowd with a big smile before hushing his tone. “That being said, you got anything to eat around here. I could sure use some food right about now.”

“Of course.” The pony smiled but couldn’t help but wonder and ask... “If I may ask, is your friendship ending?"

"Are you crazy?!" Pinkie Pie happily replied like she asked a joke. "We'd never let a disagreement get in the way of food!" She licked her lips eager for food.

"O-kay, well, my name is Sugar Belle." The pony waitress levitated a pencil and notepad, "What can I bring you? We have muffins…" Everyone turned eyes amongst each other through this awkward silence indicating that this is the only item on the menu.

"Then I guess we'll take a dozen muffins." Twilight said after getting the idea.

"Make that two dozen!" Pinkie eagerly said while waving her hoof, receiving eye rolls and annoyed glares from her friends. "What? I'm hungry!"

Kion continued with the subject at paw and hoof in a hushed tone, "Come on, guys, girls. The map sent us here for a reason, and if there is a problem here then we should be here to fix it, no matter what."

"I guess you're right." Applejack relented with a smile. "And the sooner we figure out what's really goin' on, the sooner we can go home." Her eyes widened once the tray of muffins they ordered were placed on the table. And without saying much, they did not look very appetizing.

"Forgive me for overhearing," Sugar Belle piped in once more. ",but just a moment ago you were disagreeing, and now it sounds like you're... agreeing."

The friends all looked at Sugar Belle like she asked a rather silly question.

“Yes…” Ono suspiciously replied unsure of what else to say to avoid implicating themselves. “…so…?”

"Well, you had such differing opinions – and cutie marks. Not to mention you're ponies, lions, a cheetah, a hippo, honey badger, and bird."

"We have differing opinions all the time, darling." Rarity kindly explained.

"But you look like you're friends." Sugar Belle pointed out, still a tad confused.

"We are friends." Twilight reassured. "A simple disagreement wouldn't change that."

"Besides, we've been through way too much together to let anything get in the way of our bonds." Kion said kindly.

However, Double Diamond happened to have a listening ear on their conversation, sparking Sugar Belle’s nervousness as both Pinkie and Bunga helped themselves to the provided muffins. "I'm sorry, I'm just having a hard time understanding. Different talents lead to different opinions, which lead to bitterness and misery. So... why aren't you bitter and…?"

"Blech!" Pinkie Pie and Bunga spat out and nearly choked on the muffins, which tasted really bad. But they realized what they had just did, they forced themselves to smile and pretend to like the treats.

“Oops, did I say that loud? Yum!” Bunga pretended to munch on the treat itself.

"Mmmm… good…" Pinkie chimed in with a forced smile.

Sugar Belle was understanding and not offended about it. "It's all right. I know I'm not a very good baker. At least, I know I'm not any better than anypony else in the village." Her eyes shifted to behind her as Double Diamond eyed her suspiciously and she forced a smile at the customers, "Well, I... hope you enjoy our little village!"

As she walked back into the store, Pinkie and Bunga dropped the act and resumed cleaning their mouths from the horrible taste they just experienced. But before doing so she quickly whispered without smiling for once with an expression of frantic worry in its place.

"Come inside before you go! Meet me downstairs!" She resumed smiling in Double Diamond's direction before walking back inside for good.

"Okay, that was weird too." Rainbow first spoke her thoughts of what had just transpired.

“Quite weird...” Kyoga stated and whispered to Kion and Twilight. “…But it’s just the key we need if we’re going to get to crack this case.”

“But first…” Kion added as she levitated the muffins and separate plates for everyone at the table. “We’re going need to all sit here and eat these muffins and act normal. I think we're being watched." Their eyes shifted to the other ponies, still not taking their eyes off of them.

"You think?" Fuli sarcastically asked as if he is just figuring this out.

"No, no…!" Twilight interjected in a hush. "He means somepony here doesn't want us talking to Sugar Belle." She nudged her head to Double Diamond’s direction who is currently eating his muffin.

Applejack rubbed her chin in thought before thinking of something to avoid arising further suspicion. "I got an idea. But you gotta eat all of them muffins, Pinkie."

"Me?! Why me?!" The pink pony whined as she pulled on her mane against the idea before turning to Bunga. "Can’t we just have Bunga do it? I mean he is the one who ate muffins out of the trash can with Spike once!"

“Come on, Pinkie! Leave me out of this!” Bunga protested.

"You got a stronger stomach than any of us, and that filly in there might be our best chance at findin' out what the hay is goin' on round here." Applejack insisted to Pinkie before turning to Bunga wanting him to help out. “And come on Bunga, if you could eat the sickening garbage I accidentally made once, you can do it twice!”

“But…” Bunga started before giving up with a sigh. “…oh all right!” He moved to start eating those muffins alongside one his best pony friends. “…it’s been nice knowing you all!”


After a fair amount of time, both Pinkie and Bunga had managed to eat all of the muffins with Pinkie sporting a green nauseous face and a bloated belly as a result from eating that much food and Bunga made a sickening face after ingesting the last of his fair share of the plate.

"I can't believe you ate all our muffins, Pinkie Pie!" Applejack said out loud sounding pretty pleased to appease everypony.

Ono was the next to continue. “Guess we have to go inside and get some more.”

Once inside, the group made their way down the stairs to see Sugar Belle.

"Nice work, Pinkie." Twilight complimented.

“You got guts, Bunga.” Kion added as he patted his friend on the back for a job well done. After doing so, his stomach rumbled to which Kion quickly tilted his body downwards so that his rear end is directed at the open door to allow a massive fart out. “Strong guts.”

Unfortunately, Pinkie wasn’t lucky to avoid the stinky blast since she had just rolled down the stairs, landing on the ground, still feeling sick and upset that she had to endure that. "I've accidentally eaten cardboard tastier than that…" She then dropped face first onto the ground after passing out.

Kion moved to fan the pony to get her to quickly wake back up. “It’s okay Pinkie, you can breathe now…” He then conjured a cup of water for her to drink from. “…here.”

She gladly took and ingested the provided water still in Kion’s magical grasp. “Thank you.” Though the half lion /alicorn hybrid ended up dropping and breaking the glass after accidentally letting go of it.

“Oops.”

“No it’s my bad. I didn’t quite get a good grip on my magic enough.”

With that aside, Twilight called out for the waitress pony. “Hello? Sugar Belle?"

"Thank you for coming!" Said pony emerged from the shadows, wearing the same signature smile everypony sported across town.

"Why did you want us to come down here?"

"So nopony could see what's about to happen."

From the shadows of the basement, two more ponies emerged. Party Favor and Night Glider smiled widely as they always did and the three slowly approached the group. They suspected it was a trap, Twilight the most suspicious readied her horn to fight, until...

"Are you really the Princess of Friendship?" Party Favor asked with admiration.

"Do you know Princess Celestia?" Night Glider asked, sharing the same admiration too.

The others lowered their defenses once they realized the ponies meant no harm and that this isn’t the trap even though the alicorn’s gut feeling tells her it’s something else.

Sugar Belle moved to admire Pinkie's mark, "I love your cutie mark!"

Party Favor looked at Kion’s mark, "Yours is a lion roaring. Are you the Lion Guard’s Fiercest?"

“Actually, yes.” Kion answered with an awkward smile.

Night Glider hovered over Kyoga. "Wow! I never knew a lion could have magic along with being half pony! And why is your cutie mark on your cheek?"

"How come the rest of the Lion Guatd doesn't have cutie marks?" Sugar Belle asked. "Does this mean you don't have any talents?"

“Not exactly true…” Beshte honestly replied. “…Since I’m the Lion Guard’s Strongest, strength is my specialty!” He demonstrated it by getting the rest of the Guard to leap onto his back so he can walk around like it’s still no big deal greatly impressing the three ponies.

"Incredible…"

"Cool!"

“Unbelievable!”

"What about you?” Party Favor asked Fuli. “Do you have any special talents?

“Of course.” She smugly smiled as she instantly sprinted up and down the stairs multiple times for a good sixty seconds. “Any idea now what it is?”

“Nope!” He turned to the others and after recalling word spread out figured out that the honey badger is the Bravest, the egret is the Keenest of Sight, and Kyoga is the Wisest. From the way Bunga ate all those muffins, Ono’s sharp eyes, and Kyoga having great common sense, he didn’t need more to confirm who they are.

"How can you be friends with different cutie marks?" Night Glider asked Pinkie and Rarity who both felt uncomfortable and speechless in response. "Don't you end up hating each other?"

Sugar Belle also took a good look at Fluttershy's cutie mark with her hooves while frightening the girl in response due to her moving to actually look and touch it up close. "Oh, look at this one! This one's great too! I'd love to have my special talent back even just for a day! Make something besides those disgusting muffins…" Sugar Belle lowered her ears in sadness as she couldn’t remember what her old cutie mark looked like. She missed being able to make and bake special new treats and pastries to when she was truly happy.

"So what's stopping you?" Rainbow asked, "Go get your cutie marks back."

“Can’t be that hard.” Bunga added.

"Daydreaming is one thing," Party Favor shook his head. "But you mean actually having it put back on? That seems extreme."

“Um, hello?” Bunga said to them really dumbfounded with dealing with these ponies. “You’re talking to a honey badger who surfed his way from the top of a lava-filled volcano. And this alicorn princess here, joined in on the ride.”

The three ponies were amazed to hear that though the purple pony looked aside with lowered ears as she blushed and sported a nervous smile. “Anyways and seriously…” She said to quickly change the subject before they could get into that. “…what’s really keeping you from pursing to get them back?

"I'm not sure Starlight would like that." Sugar Belle admitted. "She wants us all to be happy in our sameness."

Kion felt the need to ask if that’s even possible. “How do you take somepony's cutie mark anyway?"

Night Glider smiled as she explained, "The cutie unmarking is a beautiful experience! Starlight uses the Staff of Equality to magically take them away and replace them with these." She and the other two moved to show them their identical cutie marks.

"But nopony should keep you from your cutie mark." Twilight pointed out. "It represents such an essential part of who you are."

"Oh, we're not kept from them.” Night Glider quickly assured. “They're in the vault up in the caves. We can visit them any time we like to remind us of the heartache of a life with special talents."

“Hmm…” Twilight thought as she scratched her chin deep in thought about the idea. “…You think you can remember where exactly the caves are?” She hopefully asked wanting to play it safe. “That way I can be there and back in a flash before anypony could ever notice.”

“Well…” Party Favor hesitated before speaking her thoughts. “…I’m not sure…” He spoke unsure whether or not to go against his leader in that regard.

"I understand. Never a pony to disobey orders.” She said before displaying a visual of her cutie mark. “And for that I completely respect that. After all, it’s rare nowadays that I see good friends who are willing to be so modest and honest with me with their problems. In fact, if I had a golden apple with me right now…” She ended up poofing one up with her magic. “…I’d probably give you one as a sign of our friendship.” Party Hoof and the other ponies felt touched by her generous gesture as she shined the apple on her hoof until she could see her own reflection in it.

It was there the three could not say no to a kind and generous offer like that. “Maybe…maybe having our cutie marks back wouldn't be so bad. Even if it's just for a little bit." Party Favor spoke on behalf of the trio.

The Lion and Pony Guard smiled hearing this seeing that they are cooperating more and more with every second they spend secretly here.

“I promise you all, you’ll be much happier once we get your cutie marks back, the you’ll see of how right we are.” Twilight assured with a confident smile as she turned to prepare to focus her magic on the cutie mark’s true location. “Wait here.” She told them as she briefly turned back.

But when tilted her head forward she found herself face to face with Starlight Glimmer herself looking very stern and unsatisfied with her right now as multiple ponies are waiting outside to follow her example.

“While you face punishment before attempted conspiracy with fellow happy ponies here in this village.”

“Ah! Hapana!” Ono yelped as he ducked behind Fluttershy to avoid seeing the wrath of their leader as everyone else is startled and alarmed by her sudden appearance.

“What?!” Twilight exclaimed in shock with this wild accusation thrown against her. “What do mean?! I didn’t do anything like that!”

But Starlight had magical proof on hoof. “Oh, no…” She displayed everything she had just did to persuade the trio into giving into her request including the golden apple trick.

“So?” Twilight attempted to keep composed in the face of everything turning against her. “It’s called heart to heart talk and asking a friend for a favor. Not manipulating them if that’s what you’re implying.”

“It is what I’m implying at something you are clearly guilty of. Guilty as charged!” Starlight stated with great vindication. “Just like everything you’ve done to Ponyville, Midnight Sparkle!” Twilight’s heart felt stung when that memory resurfaced in her mind as said attack she personally led on that dark day of infamy but still wasn’t about to let the emotions seep through the cracks in her heart. “That’s right! I know all about you! The Princess of Darkness, The fearless dragon for the lion who nearly conquered all of Equestria! The fallen princess who willingly betrayed her allies to help her enemies only to turn on them as soon as it wasn’t your best interest!” She then smirked as she senses the crowd is siding with her even with mixed confusion amongst the kindest ponies in the group conversing with them behind her back. “Typical villain through and through, unpredictable, cunning, devious, and even treacherous like any other mastermind like your former master, Scar…” The crowd gasped in horror at the mention of his name. “…the coup of the Pride Lands, the Crystal Empire, Diamond Valley, attempted murder of your friends, and especially your B.B.B.F.F. Shining Armor.” She glared directly right in Twilight’s face as she further incriminates the former villain of her past crimes. “Oh, you have no idea how much trouble you are in now that everyone here knows the truth about you. You even have the Mark of Evil to prove it. But face it, it was inevitable, you can’t hide from who you really are, Twilight Sparkle. And now that you are here you’ve asked for judgement. And I pass it now!” Kion gasped seeing that she has turned the whole village against her with one swift speech and reveal of the mare’s dark side as many ponies demand to hear the verdict. “Exile!”

“No!” Kion exclaimed in horror as Twilight finds himself faced with ponies gathered in rows ready to chase and throw her out of town. “That’s not fair! You don’t know who you’re really dealing with!”

Not One of Us

Music starts at 0:28

“You’re right. I don’t.” Starlight merely replied in response still firm with her statement as she proudly smirks at the now disgraced alicorn princess.

Kion tried to move to further protest this decision only to be blocked by the three ponies who were here first. “No! Twilight!”

“It’ll be okay, Kion.” She calmly assured as she kept her composure. “I’ll be all right. Just stick to the mission!”

She then faced herself with two ponies attempting to advance on her with their horns pointed in her direction. Unwilling to hurt them to further confirm all of the bad stuff Starlight said about her she instead magically teleports herself out of the room.

Next thing Kyoga knows before she could do anything to protest the decision she finds herself being cornered by the two ponies that tried to corner Twilight. Getting the message that she too is banished for being a witch to society for her own magical abilities she was left no choice but to teleport on out of here too leaving Kion further angered by this sudden switch in the unicorn’s behavior towards them as she walked outside to ensure that the two exiled magical figures are both good for good.

As Twilight flees while flying out of town, she is finding herself pelted with bland muffins, rocks, dirt, crumbled up paper balls, and sticks as she is forced out in shame. For added measure as Starlight keeps that smug smirk fixated in Twilight’s direction she had the Pegasus ponies dump buckets water and dirt on her head as she makes her way towards the outskirts of town. Upon reaching the edge of town she winds up stopping in front of a small pool of water just before the heights of the nearby mountains.

She looked back and could see from afar, Starlight’s still smirking evilly for chasing her out as the many ponies have surrounded the entrance of town watching on with disdain similarity to how she looked at the group of friends after the whole wedding incident.

Kion was finally able to fly his way out of the building but was blocked off by the Pegasus ponies to forbid him from going after her while the others shake their heads in disgust toward’s the alicorn’s direction.

Twilight could tell what they truly think of her now and can only blink sadly seeing how quick word can spread out and change everypony’s opinion in a flash before looking down at her own reflection dejected. Once more she saw Scar’s reflection after the water rippled once more. She shook her head before splashing the reflection still asserting to herself they are not the same in that regard. She raced her way up the mountain with her head drooped down feeling the sting of rejection once more like what happened back at home. After giving one last look at the village for now, she moved to continue striding away in shame before flying away out of sight with tears coming out of her eyes as she does so.

“Now…” Starlight said resuming being her friendly self as she turned back to Kion’s direction. “…I understand you’re wanting to learn more about where we stash cutie marks around here?”

“Yes.” He growled still angered by what they put her through.

“Would you like to see it?”

He thought about it, and still determined to make things right here he gave his answer. “Let’s do it!”

“Great!” She smiled before leading the way on over to the mountains in the opposite side of town.


Starlight Glimmer personally lead the Lion and Pony Guard up to the hills towards to where the cave was located all while Double Diamond stood behind them, still smiling but continue to keeping an eye on them.

“I apologize for what you all had to see earlier, but I’m sure you’ll understand why I did what I had to do.” Starlight said cheerfully once more. “I'm delighted you're interested in our cutie mark vault and we hope someday every pony in Equestria will make a pilgrimage here to our little village to have theirs removed too, and our message of perfectly equal friendship can finally spread across the land and who knows maybe even the Pride Lands someday."

“You do realize we are now walking into a trap here aren’t we?” Rainbow whispered to the group.

“Yep.” Kion nodded with a serious glare directed in Starlight’s direction. “We are. And we’re going to be ready for that!”

“You mean…?”

“Yes, Rainbow. Be ready!”

“Got it!” Rainbow was able to keep her enthusiasm of fighting bottled up after what happened to Twilight.

“Can do!” Bunga said seriously too while pounding his knuckles together.

"And now just through here!" Starlight led the group into a dark and spooky looking cave. Ono gulped nervously as they walked inside, their bodies now in shadow once they entered. "Behold! Our cutie mark vault!"

The entire group gasped in shock! Standing before them was a tall glass-like container filled with all kinds of cutie mark symbols locked inside little square holes. The container was illuminated the cave with a blue aura and in front of it stood what appeared to be some kind of wooden staff standing on a stone pedestal. Bunga's jaw dropped at the sight and Kion felt he would be sick. Seeing all of these cutie marks away from their owners was almost as repulsive as seeing a disembodied head or leg put on display. And just as the three ponies described, several of the marks had the elements circling around them.

"Wow! I've never seen anything like it!" Kion said with clear disdain directed at Starlight as she moved to levitate the staff with her magic. “And here is the Staff of Equality. It was one of the great mage Meadowbrook's nine enchanted items. We are incredibly fortunate to have it here."

“Right sure.” Ono said unconvinced due to forehand knowledge from past reading time with Twilight.

"This is the tool that allows us to free ourselves from our marks! I'm curious – how did the subject of the vault come up?"

Before Pinkie could accidentally blurt out the truth, Fuli quickly covered her mouth without taking her furious eyes on her. “Just a personal theory of how cutie marks are truly stashed away if it’s possible to remind them of how much they wouldn’t need them. In other words, considering of how removing cutie marks is possible, surely there had to be a way to keep them close if others are allowed to get a glimpse of them from time to time.”

Starlight gasped, still maintaining her cheerful demeanor, "Really? Well, it seems you inspire all sorts of free thinking…don't you?" She narrowed her eyes when she said the last part of her sentence.

“Well now I won’t say that.” Rarity laughed nervously before shaking it off to keep trying to talk her down. “And we certainly didn't intend to cause any disruptions to your charming little—"

"Good. Let's just make sure of that, shall we?"

As Rarity turned her back, she nearly stumbled upon Double Diamond, and more of the happy smiling ponies emerged from the shadows, surrounding the team.

“Sure.” Kion accepted as Starlight springs her trap on them. “Hope you’re prepared to find out what the Lion and Pony Guard is capable of doing when faced with an army of enemies.”

“Bring it.” She challenged with narrowed eyes as Kion retracted his claws ready to charge at her.

With fire powering his speed, he was able to leap upon the unicorn and knock the staff out of her hooves.

“Get the staff!” Kion shouted at his friends who all moved to do so.

“NO!” She shouted before head-butting Kion and then used her magic to force the lion off of her before seizing the staff just when Fuli snatched it off of the ground. “Uh, uh, uh, Fuli. You’re time is up!”

She was suddenly stiff and still while being levitated in mid air. She felt something tug on her shoulder, causing her to scream in pain. Her Mark of the Guard was forcibly stripped from her body. Despite her efforts, she ended up succumbing to the staff’s powers and ending up having her mark literally ripped right off of her. Her mark glowed yellow, black, and red as it was levitated to the staff and Starlight launched it the vault leaving the cheetah falling to the ground in defeat. She now had an equal sign mark in place on her left shoulder.

She smiled wickedly at her triumph just when she got tackled again by an enraged Kion who decided he was not holding back. He fiercely snarled and tumbled with her as he bared his teeth right at her. For a moment it seemed like he had her overwhelmed before the latter mustered all of her strength, she moved to use her horn into using the staff so she can catch him in her grasp while distracted. Once that happened, Kion was stripped of his Mark of the Guard and his cutie mark. He cried out in pain as it was ripped off of him before dropping to the ground after losing the energy and feeling in his paws. With that she levitated the two marks into the vault with a victorious smile.

Just then she saw Bunga attempted to sneak up behind her to steal the staff from him. “Don’t even try to toy with me, Bunga.” She said while yanking the staff away before effortlessly stripping of his mark too like a sticker stuck on its mark. She suddenly found Ono snatched it away just when she her eyes were fixated on Beshte next who was trying to charge at her. “Things are unravelling fast now, Ono.” She laughed as said mark was removed in the unraveling fashion that was still painful for him to endure.

“Yeouch!” He screamed before dropping to the ground in pain.

The same rays hit Beshte and the rest of the Mane Six. They grunted in pain as their cutie marks were removed one by one and placed within the vault. The Mane Six found that their flanks now had the same equal signs and the same pain colors. The same went for the Lion Guard and Alicorn prince left stripped of what was bestowed upon them in the most painful way possible.

"Aw. I don't blame you for what you tried to do here today." Starlight said with false pity to the defeated team. "You've spent your whole lives thinking those marks are a good thing."

“Give them back!” Kion angrily demanded still unable to stand along with the others and not only he tried to speak further only to find his voice had grown very weak as a result of losing his power and abilities including his voice.

“Well now you can spend the rest of your lives here with us!” Starlight smugly taunted as she placed the staff away in its proper resting place. “And we'll teach you just how much better life can be without your cutie marks!"

All while both Twilight and Kyoga can only watch from their own visual magic with the former very determined more than ever to go back and save her friends from the torturous fate the unicorn has in store for them.

Author's Note:

Before I begin, I'd like to say it's good to be back publishing episodes for this series, something I'd like to say I've done quite a great job in putting this all together.

Anyways, here to kick of this season we see things are really starting to look up for everyone after Scar's defeat, in fact everyone is in better spirits as the two worlds begin to live together as one even more now.

In fact, the growing magic in friendship has grown strong to the point a new map has been activated inside the Castle of Friendship. A map that showed both worlds of the many places they've been to together. In addition, they all get to go on their first group friendship mission. A mission that leads them on over to a certain village where everyone is all sporting the same equal cutie mark.

A simple friendship mission one would think...right? Well in the wise words of Big Macintosh. "Nope!" Thanks to their leader, Starlight Glimmer who is quick to charm her ponies into turning against Twilight and Kyoga along with luring the rest of the Guard into a trap when everything was piecing together for them.

With two lucky not to have their cutie marks and powers taken away, they now have to figure out how to expose Starlight, solve the friendship mission with the rest of the team while saving them. But how?

Chapters Next