• Published 4th Feb 2023
  • 1,597 Views, 155 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 5) - MXCDarkHorse2020



The Lion and Pony Guard face new friendship lessons and challenges as they continue to expand it across Equestria and the Pride Lands

  • ...
1
 155
 1,597

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 6: Appleoosa's Most Wanted

Episode 6:

Appleoosa’s Most Wanted

On a bright and sunny day cheerful ponies were gathered in the country of Appleloosa. Everyone is all gathered for the annual Appleoosa rodeo to which the Pony Guard’s Strongest is planning on competing.

As always the town is crowded with wild western and rodeo attire. Cowboy hats, bandanas, even country boots and belt buckles. In addition, the town’s fair was all set up. Wild western land, tents with fun games and prizes all around and everything.

Amongst the crowd were a familiar trio of fillies along with a quint squad of Pride Lander kids standing and getting a look at their surroundings.

"Aren't you glad y'all came with me to see Applejack compete in the Appleloosa rodeo?" Apple Bloom asked her friends.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo smiled in agreement and so did the other children.

“Not as glad as we are that you invited us.” Mtoto happily returned.

"Totally!" Shauku stated while looking on amazed at the place. "I've never been to a real rodeo before!"

“Me neither!” Gumba stated in agreement already liking what this country had to offer. “Look at this place, it’s like something you’d see in a Wild West movie.”

“Which one? Once Upon a Time in the West?” He asked rather teasingly.

“No.”

“Wild Wild West?”

“No, that movie’s terrible.”

“Says the critics.”

The two frowned at each other before dropping the argument all together.

“Anyways…” Scootaloo said more focused on what they can accomplish here. “… This place is a cutie mark gold mine!" She pointed her hoof towards said activities they were currently holding. "There's barrel racing, roping contests, rodeo clowning, steeplechase!"

"If we can get into some of these events, we could all three walk off the train back in Ponyville with brand spankin' new cutie marks!" Apple Bloom also added rather excitably at the idea.

Scootaloo looked upon her blank flank, already dreaming of the idea herself. "Wouldn't a barrel look good here?".

"I want a lasso!" Apple Bloom said while looking at her own flank.

Sweetie Belle however didn’t share the excitement as her friends. "I don't know... All these events look a little, well, dangerous."

“She’s right, guys.” Kwato agreed.

“Are you sure this is worth pursuing?” Kambuni asked.

"No risk, no reward." Apple Bloom proudly asserted otherwise.

“And since the Lion Guard also received cutie marks, maybe this might a good place to start.” Shauku pointed out.

“That’s right.” Gumba said before looking around to see what would work for them. “Speaking of which I spy with little eye a big long rope!”

Gumba got in on the fun. “I spy with my little eye a group of funny clowns!”

The two then turned to Mtoto wanting him to get in on the fun. “Okay…” He agreed upon seeing the “Come on, please play.” look they were giving him. “…I spy with my little eye…the steeplechase and…” His eyes widen in surprise. “…uh-oh.”

“Uh-oh, what?”

Just then they heard familiar voices call out to them.

“Mtoto, kids, there you all are!” Kion spoke to them with feeling relieved nothing bad happened to them just when Fuli appeared by his side. “Why did you sneak off like that?!”

“Sorry Kion…” Mtoto spoke on behalf of the group. “…we just got really excited and wanting to see our first Appleoosa rodeo.”

“Understandable...” Fuli accepted that response but not without stern words herself. “…but we talked about this, if you want to be able to see your big sister Applejack in action at the rodeo, you need to be on your best behavior. We promised your parents along with your big sisters we’d look after you while we’re away.”

“I know, I know…” Apple Bloom said rather defeated and bad for her sister’s injuries. “…I just wish we could be doing something fun while we wait.”

“And what would we have done to pass the time? Chasing an outlaw?” Kwato asked rather rhetorically.

Just then they heard a pony calling out to the audience. A country pony who goes by the name of Sheriff Silverstar.

“Alright, everypony, listen up! We need a big presence at this here rodeo, so make yourself plenty seen! I want that low-down varmint to know we mean business!” He announced to the crowd much to the little zebra’s dismay.

“I was kidding!”

Sweetie Belle whispered to her friends wondering how dangerous this outlaw is. "I hope nothing bad is going on."

Apple Bloom, on the contrary is actually thrilled about the idea. "A cutie mark-apalooza and a low-down varmint? This is shapin' up to be the most excitin' rodeo ever!"

“Yeah…no!” Fuli shook her head quick to disapprove of them pursing an outlaw. “Clearly that’s not going to happen.”

“Why not?” Both Shauku and Gumba whined.

“It’s too dangerous!” Kion seriously and sharply stated. “And I’m not going to risk your safety by letting you go after someone who could really hurt you if you’re not careful.”

The two pouted in response even when Fuli spoke gently to the children so that they understand why they shouldn’t even touch upon it any further with a twenty-foot pole. “I’m afraid Kion’s right, if something were to happen to you all, your parents and sisters would never forgive us. And none of you want that, do you?”

“No…” They all said admittedly.

“Good.” She then said while ushering them in the opposite direction while she and Kion move towards the sheriff pony so they can help scout the town. “Now, go on back to both Braeburn and Applejack before they get worried sick, okay.”

“Okay…”

After the two groups split apart, a shadowy figure hid behind a stack of hay, leaving behind a single horseshoe print on the dirt as he walked away.

Whoever this outlaw was…he’s around and about and clearly has something on his mind.


Meanwhile, Applejack was at the top of her game in preparing for the upcoming competition. She’s currently at it with her training in the upcoming rodeo's hay bale stacking event. Her hind legs kicked a bay of hale so hard that it went flying with such speed and power that only someone with super strength could accomplish. The bale landed flawlessly onto the very top of the stack, as tall as six wagons stacked on top of each other, while her cousin Braeburn cheered her on, and the Guard's Keenest of Sight was there to oversee her progress.

"Woo-hoo! Yee-haw! That's my cousin! Go, Applejack, go!"

"Come on. You got it."

Originally, he was supposed to compete in this event, but after injuring himself, he unfortunately couldn’t. To her luck, Applejack was happy enough to take his place and Braeburn himself was equally happy likewise that she could. And Ono himself, was quick to pounce on the opportunity to redeem himself from the last rodeo Applejack competed in. Well at least, coach Applejack to victory, that is. And so far everything was shaping up great.

"Yes!" Ono clapped his wings together upon seeing their success.

Applejack leaped down from the stack, before approaching her cousin while whipping away the sweat from her forehead. "Whew! It's been a dog's age since I got to compete especially. All the rodeos 'round Ponyville being closed down for some reason."

"Well, I guess havin' injured kinfolk in Appleloosa sure paid off then, huh, cuz?"

"Just doin' my best to fill your horseshoes, Braeburn."

"Keep tossin' like that and I'll be out of a job!" he said. Applejack brohoofed his injured leg, making him wince. "Ow, ow!"

"Ooh, sorry.” She said after quickly realizing her mistake…again. “Say, where's my sister and the other kids?"

Braeburn's eyes widened in realization, "Uh-oh. Gee, uh, I guess I got so caught up watchin' you that I—"

"You said you'd keep an eye on those kids!" Applejack quickly scolded as Ono quickly flew up to spot them out. "How am I supposed to focus on practicin' if you're not gonna—"

Ono quickly spoke up. "No need to worry anymore. They're here and on their way back!"

"There they are! Heh, right where I left 'em…"

The Crusaders and the Pride Landers appeared behind Applejack. Scootaloo had bought a cactus-like hat during the walk back over, which was pretty big for her. Mtoto also had a cowboy hat which was more of a sheriff’s like hat, while Shauku, Gumba, and Sweetie Belle all had caramel apples, the rest of the kids had flag souvenirs worn as antennas on their heads. But even though they were all fine, Applejack was still eying her cousin with a disapproving glare.

"Aw, don't be mad!" He then began to fake cry dramatically, "Owwwwch! My poor leg! Hurts so much…!" He gave her the big eyes and pouty lips, which made the children giggle though Applejack was not even close to being amused.

"Y'all can't go runnin' off like that, y'hear?" Applejack chastised, "Backstage at a rodeo ain't no kind of playground! And I promised your parents along with Kion and Fuli I would keep an eye on you all."

“Come on…” Shauku tried to play it off as no big idea. “…we were playing it safe.”

“Yeah..” Gumba agreed. “…and we’re all here in one piece so no harm no foul.”

Applejack still looked on disapprovingly in response.

"But you kids all still didn't something you weren't supposed to be doing." The kids had nothing say in response because truthfully they really can't say otherwise.

"Sorry, Applejack." Her little sister spoke on behalf of the group sincerely, "We won't wander off again." Scootaloo then elbowed her in the leg, reminding her to ask something. "But, uh, speakin' of the rodeo... what would you say about me and the Crusaders maybe competin' in one teensy-weensy little event or three?"

"And can we compete too?" Shauku also asked hopefully.

But before Applejack could respond, Braeburn suddenly cried, "Look out!"

"Hapana!" Ono cried out before swiftly flying away. "Watch your heads! It's a hayfire! Literally!"

The tall stack of hay began to loose its balance and tumble down to the ground…with the children in its way.

Applejack quickly pushed the children out of harm’s way in the nick of time when the hay stacks fell over in their direction, causing the dust from the dirt to rise up. The children coughed once the dust cleared up and Applejack ran to check on them.

"Are you okay?!" the children all nodded in yes, "What the hay just happened?"

"You kids alright?" Braeburn asked with concern. Like with Applejack they nodded and said yes.

Both Kion and Fuli having witnessed this came running up to the scene.

“Are you okay?!”

“What happened?!”

The kids all replied with “uh-huh.” And “we’re okay.”.

Just then the two members of the Lion Guard noticed something on the ground, the mark of a very large horseshoe print.

“Huh?”

“What is it?”

Sheriff Silverstar approached the crime scene and his eyes became stern and serious like he just managed to find an incriminating clue and his voice lowered dramatically. "Sugar and salt licks! Well, I'll be…"

"But it is!" Ono stated while examining the mark itself.

Applejack approached the four. "What is it, Sheriff?" She asked as she looked down at the hoofprint, along with Braeburn.

"Is it him?"

"Ain't no doubt. It's Trouble Shoes."

At the mention of the name, a western harmonica riff played...

…courtesy of Shakku and Gumba.

Upon being noticed, the two nervously chuckled before putting them away and stepping aside.

The children all shared the same curious and confused expressions and had the the same question on their minds. Who is this Trouble Shoes? And why was he such a threat?

With word of the guy’s appearance, Sheriff Silverstar had his deputies along with the Lion Guard’s Fiercest, Keenest of Sight, and Fastest standing by his side on the wooden front porch of his office home before facing an inquiring and anxious crowd of ponies.

"Is it true? Is Trouble Shoes here?"

"You ain't gonna shut down the rodeo, are ya?!"

"All right now, I called for a meetin', not a mob scene." The sheriff started while gesturing to the the two stallions to lower down their pitchfork and torch…much to their dismay. "Now, as many of you know, the Equestria rodeo circuit has been plagued by the dirty dealin's of a notorious outlaw."

"He knocked barrels every which way at the Hoof City rodeo!" A female pony wearing a red dress and a green sunhat complained. "Nearly crushed my Aunt Bae Mare!"

A male townspony wearing a brown vest and a dark blue hat had this to say. "That's nothin'! He sabotaged the steer pen at Pinto Creek rodeo, settin' off such a stampede they cancelled the whole dadgum thing!"

Sheriff SIlverstar moved to calm the crowd down once more. "Now, now, it's true we had an incident this mornin' at our own Appleloosa rodeo. Hay bale stack came down right near on top of three little fillies and five innocent kids from the Pride Lands!" The crowd looked on in sympathy for the children. The sheriff then gestured to Kion, Ono, and Fuli. "Thanks to both the Lion Guard’s Fastest, Fiercest, and Keenest of Sight, they and I examined them hoof-prints and, uh... it was Trouble Shoes, all right." The crowd gasped in horror at the news they hoped they didn't have to hear. "I reckon I oughta cancel this rodeo like all the others done. But dag-hoof it, this has gone far enough! We'll double the patrols! This rodeo will go on! Appleloosa ain't gonna be intimidated!" All the ponies cheered with great pride as the sheriff lead his best deteticves on over to investigate and hunt them Trouble Shoes, determined not to let the ongoing threat ruin anything else.

The crowd dispersed, happy to know their rodeo was still going to be continue.

"Glad that's settled." Apple Bloom said happily. "So, uh, Applejack, about me and my pals competin' in the rodeo…"


In Braeburns's country cottage, Applejack had the girls pack their things into their saddled bags while Kion and Fuli had the children get their backpacks.

“Aw come on! Please! Not home! Not home!”

“Anything but that! Come on! That’s not fair!”

Both Shauku and Gumba pleadingly protested and whined.

"Now, quit yer bellyachin'." Applejack said having none of their complaining. "We can't have y'all around here with some outlaw on the loose. Aw, maybe I oughta call it quits and go home too."

Braeburn was quick to say otherwise. "No, you can't! This rodeo is important to Appleloosa! And with you in there, we got a real shot at winnin'!"

"But we can't risk the safety of the kids." Kion pointed out.

"Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on em for ya." Before any of them could protest, he shoved all three of them out the door, "Come on, now, you head on back to practice and lookin' for clues, don't worry none about these kids. I won't let 'em outta my sight."

He immediately slammed the door before the others could say another word and then placed on several locks on the doors before dragging a chair up so he can sit on it and keep his eyes on the children.

"Ya hear? Y'all ain't leavin' my sight!"

“No problem…” Shauku and Gumba both said rather calmly yet smugly on the contrary to the uncertain looks from the others knowing that they are going to be watched 24/7 now…


…at least until nighttime fell and Braeburn fell asleep on the job...again.

“Okay, let’s roll.” The two nodded at each other before tag-teaming to open the window up. By Shaku being given a boost up towards the window with Gumba coming up with a hairpin, they were able to open the window no problem.

“Guys, what are you doing?” Kwato asked in a whisper. "I thought we said we weren't going to wander off again."

“Wandering? No.” Shauku shook his head.

“Going off to help find a bandit named Trouble Shoes. Yes.” Gumba smiled.

“But it’s still sneaking off!” Kambuni argued in a protest while following after them along with Kwato and Mtoto.

The latter trying to make his point across wrapped his trunk around his two friends trying to plant the idea of disobeying their guardians in their heads. “And we promised we wouldn’t go looking for trouble! How do you think Bunga managed to get himself into these messes from time to time?”

“Maybe we just really need to play it safe.

“Yeah, like watching each other’s backs and play to our advantage.”

Mtoto conceded briefly before firmly standing by his gut feeling…"I know but still…I don't think we should. It’s not our case."

"That’s true.” Sweetie Belle agreed. "What if he's dangerous?"

Apple Bloom was quick to counter that claim. “Maybe to one, but to the future Lion and Pony Guard, should be doable.”

“And we’d be doing the local law enforcement a favor.” Gumba added thus giving his friend enough reasons to take him on.

“Great then it’s settled.” Both Shakku and Gumba went on the window, followed by both Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. Mtoto, Sweetie, and the other girls share the same conflicted expressions. They didn’t want to do it, but at the same time felt compelled given that their friends decided to pursue them, so they did.

"But isn't he a dangerous criminal?" Sweetie asked once they were out of the house.

"We only need to find him. We don't need to capture him." Apple Bloom pointed out. "The sheriff can handle that!" she, Shauku, Gumba, all leaped up onto the fence.

"And once he's in jail, we'll be competing!" Scootaloo added. "And then it's…"

"Cutie mark city!" the two ponies hoof pumped and they along with the two eager boys leaped off from the fence. Kwato and Kambuni were able to duck their heads to go through the face, while Mtoto and Sweetie both had a bit of trouble. Mainly the former had to do a little squeezing while the latter stumbling while hopping the fence and ended up falling into the ground.

“Worst idea ever.” Kwato whispered to reluctant group of friends tailing the others ahead.

“No kidding.” Kambuni agreed without hesitation before calling out to them trying to get them to reconsider. “I really think we should go back. The others will find out we’re gone once they come checking up on us."

Mtoto agreed. “Yeah. If we do this and they find out they’ll tell Kion who will tell our parents and big sisters. And we all know what happens from there don’t we?”

His boy buddies grinned at him in response. “Come on future leader of the Lion Guard. Think about what Beshte would say at the idea of you taking on a wanted pony, under your leadership.

“Haven’t you thought to yourself what it’s like to be praised for good leadership?” His partner further tempted. “You know you want to!”

Mtoto really felt torn here, he always plays fair when it comes to his parents and guardians…but then again, they did hold their own against Janja’s clan and managed to rescue their friend’s pets and got a glimpse of the Crystal Empire while they were at it. From what they heard, this pony is nowhere near dangerous as Twilight at all. How hard could it be?

“Okay. But if anybody asks, you two put me up to it.”

Unfortunately for him, the two were rather smug and cocky about it.

"I don’t think so!"

“Yeah, leaders always own up to their actions when caught in the act!”

“What…no…I…” It was there Mtoto realizing he was tricked and can only groan and follow after his friends.


Sometime later in the night, an owl was heard on the branches of the trees while the children continued searching for the outlaw. Judging from how it was getting darker by the minute, they were digging and trotting deep in the forest most likely due to the trees hiding the starry night sky. Apple Bloom stopped when she spotted something in front of her.

"It's another giant hoof print!"

"That means were getting close.” Shauku commented with a smile.

“And we’re on his trail.” Gumba also smiled eager that they are now getting somewhere.

“Yeah, great. Um…quick question…” Kwato nervously and fearfully spoke before yelling out. “Where the hay are we?!”

Just then lightning cracked, causing Scootaloo to hide behind Kambuni's legs who likewise ducked her head into the ground as the rain started to pour on them.

"Uh, maybe we should head back and try again later." Scootaloo suggested rather frighten.

"No way!” Shauku shook his head firmly against it. “We already picked up his trail we can’t go back now!"

“Besides Scootaloo…” Gumba spoke up. “…you willingly braved the danger thus far so you’re in whether you like it or not.”

Apple Bloom followed after them when they both led the way but the others were reluctant…until another lightning strike happened. Sweetie Belle and Kambuni both released a high-pitched squeal before running after the others. The rain began to fall down harder, making the hoofprints all muddy and hard to find.

"Come on, we've gone far enough!" Sweetie Belle once again protested. "It's time to go back!"

"The rain is only getting worse!" Scootaloo agreed. "Let's come back tomorrow."

Apple Bloom lowered her ears sadly, her big pink bow already down and soggy, "Maybe y'all are right." She turned to both Shaku and Gumba who both seem to come to agree too after finding no more footprints to look for.

“Okay.”

“Fine.”

“So…”

“…how do we get back?"

They both asked rather confused much to Kwato and Kambuni’s frustration.

“You mean you don't know?!"

“Are you kidding me?!”

Lightning cracked once more, frightening the children as they huddled together for protection.

They were completely lost and exposed to the dangerous elements.


Meanwhile back near Appleoosa…

Kion, Ono, and Fuli have both finished up for the night and have decided to check up on the kids.

“Kids…” He knocked on the door. “…are you all okay?”

“I think definitely.” Fuli shuddered with the sudden and impatient urge to want to get inside. “Now you think you can open the door faster so I can get out of this rain?!”

"What is he doing?!" Ono also impatiently wondered while flying around the house trying to find the cowgirl's cousin but has a hard time spotting him through the windows before flying inside the chimney.

After what seemed to be a good two minutes of waiting along with hearing Ono screaming to get the pony asleep inside awake...

"HEY!"

...the door finally opened to which Fuli was very quick to get inside to get dry at the very split second the door fully opened.

“Oh hey, Fuli, Ono, and Kion…” Braeburn greeted with a nervous smile. “How’s the search going."

“Our search got called off for the night due to the rain...along with Fuli’s insistence on not wanting to get soaked any further.” Kion said as they both shook their fur dry while Ono shuddered the rain off his feathers. “So we came back here to settle in and check up on the kids.”

“Speaking of which…” Fuli looked around and sniffed the place and couldn’t quite catch their scents. “Where are the kids?" She then realized before subduing her tone. “Oh, no. Please tell you didn’t.”

Braeburn chuckled nervously before he reluctantly told them the truth to them just when Ono scanned the entire place inside and out. Predictably he got what any worried big sibling and parent guardian would react.

“WHAT?!”

"HAPANA!"


After informing an equally horrified Applejack, the five soaking wet figures all rushed over to the sheriff’s house where he is currently playing go fish with his deputies.

"Sheriff Silverstar! You gotta help! My sister's gone! And her friends too!"

"We've searched and searched, but no sign of 'em anywhere!" said Braeburn.

"It must've been Trouble Shoes!"

"Now, now, hold on there." The Sheriff urged them to calm down and think things through. "Trouble Shoes done a lot of bad things in his day, but nothin' like that!"

"You really wanna take that chance?"

The sheriff scratched his chin in response before coming to see her point. Outlaws are capable of doing unpredictable and at times very dangerous things to get what they want. He truthfully doesn’t think that Trouble Shoes would even do something like taking the children, but he wasn't about to take that chance. He leaped out of his chair and galloped ahead with his deputies and the others right behind in, heading out into the pouring rain to find the kids and Trouble Shoes.

"Come on, y'all! Let's ride!"


Elsewhere inside the forest, with Scootaloo and Mtoto leading the way, the children continued to try and find a way back, but the forest was so large and dark it was really hard to tell if they were close back home or not.

"You sure about this, Scootaloo?" Sweetie asked.

"I thought I was, but now I'm not."

“Smooth…”

“Really smooth…”

The two boys complained before being greeted with “Shut up.” glares from the others.

“At least we’re trying not to get lost, unlike our two brave explorers who wanted to tackle this case from the start.” Mtoto retorted.

“Okay, okay…” Shauku admitted while hanging his head in shame. “So we pretty much got us completely and totally lost."

“But come on…” Gumba chimed in. “…How could this get any worse?"

To answer his question, Apple Bloom screamed as the cliffside underneath became moist and soggy, collapsing under their weight, taking the rest of the group with them. They all ended sliding down the muddy slope and into a mud pit at the bottom of the hill, thus covering their hooves and paws with mud.

"We gotta get out of this rain." Apple Bloom said. "There's no tellin' how long this storm could last."

"Look!" Mtoto pointed to something just ahead. A nice and cute colored mobile home, yet old and rather rundown. But regardless with all things considered it’ll still suffice.

"It looks abandoned." Apple Bloom said. "Let's go see if we can find some blankets or something'."

Once they reached the place, Kambuni opened the door, which creaked. Lightning flashed once more and the children hurried inside, to avoid getting struck with electricity. Sweetie Belle was quick to use her magic to close the door.

Once they were safe for the time being, the kids started to explore the place. It looked like a very decent, but very messy. There were spiderwebs, broken plates and cups, books, pages and boxes everywhere.

“Wow.” Gumba remarked upon getting a good look at the place. “Looks like someone forget to pay their monthly maintenance bill.”

“Try yearly.” Shauku corrected.

“Guys…” Mtoto scolded. “…let’s just try to stand still and wait this storm out before anyone finds us here.”

No sooner than he said it, a sound was heard from outside. It sounded like hoof steps, which grew louder and louder, and drawing closer and closer to the door.

"Too late!" Scootaloo said fearfully as she and her pony friends huddled together, slowly backing away from the door. The boys and girls held each other respectively for close protection. The door opened and they saw an incredibly large shadowy figure standing before them, taller than anything they had encountered. Their first reaction was to naturally scream.

The figure himself ended up screaming too, much to their surprise.

The guy ended up hitting his head against the ceiling and galloped into the house, tumbling, tripping and colliding with anything and everything in sight. It was dark so it was hard to see who it was. The creature screamed the whole time, crying out in pain whenever he hit something. The kids didn't know if to be scared or concerned since he is equally scared too. Just when it seemed the ongoing pain is endless the guy finally hit his head with a lamp and fell to the floor.

Apple Bloom bravely walked up to him just when his eyes slowly opened. "Hello? You alright?"

With more confidence and less fear, the others looked down at the guy, who in reality was a very large, and rather clumsy, stallion. He had a brown coat, a dark brown mane, light green eyes and a white snout. He also wore a simple yellow hat and he was tied up in a tangled mess of rope and silk.

"Surely." He said with his strong country accent.

“We’re sorry.” Kwato said to him already feeling sympathy for the guy.

“We didn't mean any harm.“ Kambuni added. “We just came in to get out of the rain."

"Had some hot cider a-cookin' in the kitchen. Doubt it survived." The large pony looked over at his kitchen, which indeed was destroyed from the crazy chaos he had unintentionally created, including the cider he was preparing for himself. He then noticed the Pride Landers natives in front of him. "Aint ya'll an elephant, mongoose, zebra, ostrich, and a Guinea pig?”

“Baboon.” Gumba corrected. “But everything else you’ve nailed to the T.”

“Well regardless…I ain't gonna rise to greet y'all. Awfully rude, I reckon, but as you can see, I'm the fresh casualty of an unusually unfortunate circumstance. My lot in life, I suppose."

Acting on his gut feeling, Mtoto stepped forward to ask the question to this miserable loner. “Are you... Trouble Shoes?"

"That's me."

Both Shaku and Gumba shook their heads in mild disbelief hearing this.

"Really?”

“Not quite what we expected, quite honestly.”

“I get that a lot, boys.”

After sharing a look with both Kwato and Kambuni upon seeing on how miserable this pony truly is, they all nodded and moved to approach the stallion until both Mtoto and Scootaloo held them back.

“What are you doing?” The little worried elephant asked.

"We're gonna unwrap him." Apple Bloom answered with a smile.

"You can't do that!" Sweetie Belle interjected. "That's Trouble Shoes!"

"Aw, he don't seem so bad."

“Besides…” Kwato said as she moved to untie the pony. “…he doesn’t look dangerous at all.”

The five worked together and managed to untie the pony, who literally towered over them. He was very imposing with his large size, but not quite to Celestia’s extent.

"Of course guests would arrive while I ain't got no pie to offer. Scores more misfortune points for old Trouble Shoes." The stallion then tripped on a banana pile and collided with a bookshelf, "Wh-whooaaa!" a bowling ball fell and landed on his head, followed by two more, leaving a big red bump on his head. "Typical. Bad luck never rests."

"You sure that's bad luck?" Kambuni curiously asked. "Seems like maybe you're just a little, um…"

"Klutzy?" Sweetie finished.

"Tell that to the flank!" Trouble Shoes showed them his cutie mark, which was a green horse show placed upside down, "Upside-down horseshoe – bad luck. Follows me wherever I go like sour on old milk. Y'all best vamoose before my bad luck rubs off and sticks to y'all. Get along! Skedaddle!" He walked to the entrance and pointed his hoof to the door to direct them to leave. "Am-scray!"

"Um, we don't really know the way back to Appleloosa…" Sctootaloo honestly admitted.

"But o' course I do. Wouldn't you know it? My lucky day." He then said sarcastically while unable to find it in his heart to leave the children to the elements let alone vulnerable to danger. Helping them is the least he could do.


Trouble Shoes led the children across the forest. The rain finally stopped so that was good. Only, through the whole time, Trouble Shoes didn't talk or say anything. He just looked so sad and miserable.

"It's actually kind of sweet of him to help us out like this." Kwato commented.

"I know!” Kambuni agreed. “Certainly something you don’t see with everyday criminals.”

“But what do we do if he takes us back to Appleloosa and the sheriff arrests him?" Mtoto asked with worry.

Scootaloo lowered her ears. "I wouldn’t know, but we’re sure not going to find out the hard way. Man, If I get a cutie mark for that, I'll feel guilty every time I see it."

Mtoto unable to hold himself accountable for someone truly innocent being thrown being bars with all things considered name aside, moved to walk by his side. “Say, Trouble Shoes, you might not want to take us all the way back to Appleloosa. The sheriff sort thinks that you're a no-good outlaw trying to shut down the rodeo."

"My kind of luck he'd think that."

"But… is it true?"

"Y'all like stories?"

"Mm-hmm!" they all replied with smiles.

"Just my luck. I was hopin' you'd say no." Knowing they were not going to leave him alone until they find out the truth, the poor depressed stallion began sharing his tale.

"When I was a colt, I wanted to be a rodeo star somethin' fierce, but I just didn't seem to have the knack for it." Back then he was a spirited and curious little pony back in those days. "After practecin' non stop, finally, I wrangled up the guts to audition for rodeo school. Right in the middle of that tryout, I knew I was doin' what I was meant to. And wouldn't you know it? In a flash comes this here cutie mark."

He could still remember the painful memories from that day. To him it was the worst day of his life The minute his cutie mark appeared, his lasso hit a barrel, which landed right on his head. The judges laughed so hard upon seeing this much to the poor pony’s embarrassment.

"I can still remember them judges a-laughin'. Didn't even finish my routine 'cause right then I knew bad luck was my fate. That fire for rodeo never did leave me, though. Couldn't keep away from 'em. So I'd sneak down and have a look, and wouldn't you know it? Bad luck would strike again. Just my lot in life, I reckon…"

“So all this time…” Kwato came to realize. “…all of the chaos that’s been happening during this time was all just accidents

"Poor Trouble Shoes." Sweetie Belle said with sympathy for the guy. "I can't believe those mean judges would laugh at him like that."

“Or maybe it was just a misunderstanding…” Shakku suggested otherwise.

“What?!” Both girls look on confused at the mongoose’s reply.

Apple Bloom getting the same idea smiled as she explained. "Don't you see? They weren't laughin' at him. They were just enjoyin' the show."

“Exactly!” Gumba agreed much to the little Pegasus and ostrich’s confusion.

“What are you saying?” Scootaloo asked.

“Are you sure it’s not that warm apple cider in your gut talking?” Kambuni asked looking very unsure of who to believe.

"Think about it. If we saw a rodeo clown doin' what he did back in that shack, we'd think he was the greatest!" Gumba explained.

“Exactly, partner!” Shakku said in a country accent while nuzzling and giving the baboon and nudgie on the head. “Yer learning to think their ways, deputy.”

“Of course…” Sweetie realized as she smiled. “He could still be in rodeos, just not the way he thought!"

"So he's been looking at his cutie mark wrong the whole time!" Scootaloo also came to see it too.

"There they are!" Ono's voice shouted also alarming everyone.

Suddenly, a dust cloud covered Trouble Shoes, followed by ropes suddenly wrapping around his neck and torso. Just then Fuli and Kion appeared alongside the Sheriff, his men, Applejack and Braeburn. They had arrive to capture and arrest the supposed outlaw.

"Just my luck."

The sheriff stood before him, "Trouble Shoes, you're under arrest for vandalizin' the property and peace of mind of the good rodeo-lovin' ponies of Equestria! Not to mention kidnappin'! And... generalized mayhem!"

The kids couldn't allow this to happen. They needed to clear this whole misunderstanding. "Wait!"

Applejack turned to her cousin. "Braeburn, get these kids someplace safe." She galloped away to join the others in taking poor Trouble Shoes away. Apple Bloom tried to reason with her sister, but she did not listen as they are being escorted back home.

"No!"

It was too late and to no avail. Trouble Shoes was gone and now on his way to jail. And the worst part about was, he didn’t even kidnap the children. If only they knew…


Back in Appleloosa, the kids tried to reason with Applejack and tell her what really happened.

"But Trouble Shoes isn't the menace everypony thinks!" Apple Bloom said in protest.

“Yeah!” Shauku said in her defense. “He’s just an innocent klutz!”

"Sakes alive, what's with you?" Applejack said still finding it very had to believe. "Why in tarnation would you want me to help get him out of jail when he's the one who ran off with y'all to begin with?!" The children could only wince with guilt since that’s one very vital bit they didn’t tell her. “Now if y'all excuse me, I'm off to win the Appleloosa rodeo hay bale monster stack."

"Um, Applejack?" Apple Bloom tried to tell her once more but she was already out the door, just when Kion and Fuli walked in.

“Okay kids…” Fuli said sternly. “…start talking!”

“About…” Shauku nervously asked with a smile as the cheetah gives her the motherly death stare.

“Everything you did from the moment you snuck out last night!”

Gumba gasped. “You mean…”

“Yes! I know!” The mongoose and baboon along with the others nervously sweated in response. “So…” She gestured at them to get them to start explaining.

Apple Bloom stepped forward on behalf of the group. “Well, after we did so in order to track and find him…”

“Purely on luck.” Kwato chimed in.

“…we ended up coming across his trailer where we find out that Trouble Shoes isn’t the dangerous pony everyone claims he is. And point being, everything he did at the rodeo, was purely by accident.”

“Accident?” Kion asked with a quizzical expression.

“Yeah!” Scootaloo chimed in to continue on with the explaining. “Considering he has a cutie mark that’s an upside-down horseshoe that pretty much explains all of the incidents that’s been occurring around here."

“If he’s carrying around a bad luck charm, that’ll sure do the trick.” Fuli quipped yet fully understanding of the stallion with every word she is hearing.

“Yeah…” Kambuni spoke up. “… and all of this time since he got his cutie mark, he’s been thinking he’s doomed to never partake in a rodeo, yet he just doesn’t quite realize what his true purpose in life is supposed to be.”

Mtoto stepped forward buttoning up his baby blue eyes at both Kion and Fuli. “Can’t you both do something to help get Trouble Shoes out of this so we can prove his innocence and help him realize his destiny? Please?”

Both Kion and Fuli looked at each other feeling uncertain of how to approach this. On one paw, with all things considered they are never ones to turn away an innocent defendant and the pleading look in Mtoto’s eyes, but on the other paw, their next option to help is risky as far as their reputations are concerned. Helping someone break out of prison is never a good look, but in regards to someone who doesn’t belong in there, well…


Elsewhere, Trouble Shoes sighed sadly as he gazed out form his prison cell in the sheriff’s office.

"Well, at least I get me a view of one small corner of the rodeo." Unfortunately his weight gave way and broke the mattress he was standing on, which was now around his waist. "Figures."

Sheriff Silverstar groaned at what he just saw. "Aw, come on now, Trouble Shoes! I'm runnin' out of mattresses!" He gestured to the pile of broken mattresses in the corner of the room.

From the window, the kids could see the sheriff leaning back on his chair, about ready to take a nap while Ono keeps watch for him.

Just then he spotted both Kion and Fuli gesturing their heads towards the door wanting him to leave. "Huh?" He did so albeit reluctantly. But why?

“Okay…” Shauku spoke unsure of what’s to come next while briefly looking on at his equally confused baboon friend.

“…so we wait out here, Ono leaves, and then what?” Gumba asked just when Sweetie works her magic in obtaining the keys on a hook by levitating them towards her.

Just then the door opened where Apple Bloom came inside. “Come on, sheriff! You're about to miss the hay bale monster stack!"

"Jiminy, that's startin' already?!" He quickly galloped away. Apple Bloom smiled proudly, leaving both the mongoose and baboon dumbfounded with how easy that diversion was.

“Oh right, that.”

“Of course.”

After the sheriff had left the kids went inside while both Kion and Fuli appear and stand outside near the door to keep watch in case he comes back.

“All right, kids. Go!”

Wasting no time, Gumba grabbed the keys and unlocked Trouble Shoe’s jail cell. “Let's go, Trouble Shoes! This here's a jailbreak!" He said in the same country accent his partner used the other night.

“Now you got it.” The mongoose complimented.

The large stallion however didn’t budge from where he was sitting. "Ain't no need. Can hear the rodeo just fine from this vantage."

"But we've got a plan to help you live your dream!" Scootaloo countered which did little to improve his mood.

"Listen, y'all, I'm a known criminal. How you proposin' on gettin' me into a rodeo?"

"I think all of that can be arranged.” Mtoto replied confidently.

“How?”

As Ono watches on, the truth is starting to become clear to him. Trouble Shoes really isn't dangerous as he is all hyped up to be.


The crowd on the bleachers cheered as the ponies stacked the bales, with Applejack like before at the top of her game. She and the other ponies worked together to get the bales up to the very top without causing a tumble. A pole stood on the side with arrows on it, to see just how high it would go. The Pride Landers and Crusaders cheered from the sidelines while Ono kept his eyes locked on praying that the tower stays stable.

"Go, Applejack!" Her little sister cheered just when Kion and Fuli walked up to them.

“You all know what you’re doing?” Kion asked.

Both Shakku and Gumba were quick to assert their confidence in the matter.

“Trust us!”

“By the time this act is over, the crowd will be doing a full 180 on their opinion of him.”

“Are you sure it’s not 360?”

“Yes, because we don’t know if it’s going to go full circle.”

“Of course it will, rodeo clowns always go full circle.”

“Not literally…” He groaned. “…forget it, point being this will work.”

The kids along with the lion and cheetah all turned their attention to the pony attempting his luck at being a rodeo clown who is now wearing a colorful and amusing clown costume. But his dry tone and gloomy frown didn’t change, one bit.

"Well, how do I look?"

Everyone couldn’t help but giggle at the sight, not even Kion and Fuli who both found it pretty amusing themselves, but given of how he’s trying to entertain the crowd it’s actually a good start. Though it still did little in lifting his spirits thinking he’ll still be recognized. However, the minute he saw those ponies stacking the hay barrels up so high up, he ended up doing a 180 himself. And for the first time since they met, he smiled and cheered with such enthusiasm to make it clear he does have what it takes to partake in the rodeo.

"Come on now, stack them bales! Woo-hoo!"

A pony flung the final barrel, it was tossed left and right by the ponies already on the tall stack. Applejack on the highest barrel, kicked it with everything she’s got, and it was just enough for it to land on the top. The crowd gasped for it seemed it would fall before sighing in relief when it didn’t.

Once it settled in it’s place, a Pegasus pony flew up to the pole and rose the arrow up to the very tip top. The audience looked on worried and unsure if they have come up short, but much to everyone’s relief and cheering excitement they just edged the previous record.

"It's a new rodeo record!" Ono exclaimed in excitement.

“Way to go, Applejack!”

“You did it!”

Both Kion and Fuli happily shouted for their friend.

"That's my sister!" Apple Bloom shouted proudly.

Applejack huddled with the others ponies, congratulating one another on their success.

At that moment, entertainment music began playing, and the rodeo clowns came out. The audience immediately started laughing, even Trouble Shoes. To the audience, rodeo clowns are comedy gold.

Seeing the act has already started Apple Bloom turned to the stallion, "'Kay now, Trouble Shoes, you're on!"

"Say what?! I may be dressed like one, but I ain't no rodeo clown."

"You got your cutie mark all wrong, Trouble Shoes!” Mtoto reminded once more. “You were born to entertain! You've got a gift for makin' folks laugh, don't you?"

"But my cutie mark's an upside-down horseshoe, and that means bad luck." He turned around and hung his head still lacking his own faith at the idea.

"That all depends on how you look at it." Sweetie pointed with an encouraging smile.

Shauku moved to approach him by leaping up onto him. “You know how you always said yous wanted to be a part of the rodeo, right?”

“Well, now's your chance." Gumba gestured to the open field of clowns right in front of him.

“You can do this!” Kion said with a friendly smile of good faith. “If I have a friend back home who can do it so can you.”

Trouble Shoes knew deep down that the rodeo is his true passion. Opportunities like this come once in a lifetime. For once he can prove to everyone that he turn his bad luck around and it’s standing right in front of him. With a determined smile he leaped ahead and right into circus field. He stopped, looking back at the others, who encouraged him to keep going forward.

"You can do this! Go on!” Fuli gestured with her paw.

Trouble Shoes pressed forward and ended up stepping on a colorful beach ball, which caused him to slip and fall face forward. "Whoa!" the ball flew off and landed on Braeburn's head. And just like that,, the ponies laughed at the scene. Five seconds in and he is already making everypony laugh.

Trouble Shoes was initially starting to get nervous once they started laughing, but the children still cheered for him. Feeling further encouraged by the kids, he galloped ahead, in an attempt to do another silly thing. Never before he had this much fun in doing this kind of thing.

While they were watching, Applejack came up to them with her very own trophy while Ono came over with a gold medal and plaque. "There y'all are! How 'bout your big sis, huh?" She was a bit surprised that nobody payed attention to her. Their eyes were all focused on Trouble Shoes, who continued with his comedic humor. Apple Bloom briefly looked at her sister.

"Yeah, way to go." She said without even paying attention to her.

"Girls, guys..." Ono spoke rather surprised that they are not even paying attention to them. "Oh, right." He realized after remembering what he saw just earlier.

Applejack found it quite even more surprising that both Kion and Fuli were equally into watching the whole rodeo clown act. "Since when are y'all so into rodeo clowns?"

“Oh, just recently.” Fuli replied without looking back.

“We’ll explain later.” Kion added while briefly looking back before directing her attention back to the show. “But for now, just watch.”

The clowns flipped around and leaping over the barrels. Trouble Shoes tried to follow suit but found he is way too big for it. One of the clowns behind up ran up and accidentally collided with him causing the former to flip into the air, and fallon the ground. He landed on his back and other other clown landed on his legs, she began moving like Trouble Shoes was a bicycle. Even still the ponies all continued to laugh.

Next up, they all started jumping into hoops, with two clowns holding two of them up while one clown had one balanced on his head. Trouble Shoes briefly was unsure of how to approach this, but still mustered up the confidence to press forward to give it a try.

"Just leave me be, cutie mark!"

He galloped ahead towards the clowns with the hoops. However, they all split apart due to the guy’s massive frame. The one with the hoop on his head found himself running away trying to avoid getting hurt, all while knocking aside barrels and hay stacks in his way.

"I aim to clear that there hoop!"

The audience still believed it was all part of the act and continued to laugh their hearts out. In amidst the chaos, one of the barrels ended up on Trouble Shoe's head, and he couldn't see a thing due to the hole being covered with a cork.

"Come on now!"

He ran all around, trying to get it off, but ended up knocking down the very tall hay stack, and the barrels all ended up on landing on top of the running clowns. One even managed to land on Braeburn, which still made him and the audience laugh all together.

Trouble Shoes finally stopped running and his belt unbuckled, causing his clown trousers to fall, revealing his lower torso and cutie mark. In all of their years of clown rodeo, that was the funniest thing they have ever seen.

In fact, it was so funny that even Applejack couldn’t stop herself from laughing nonstop and felt a few tears escape from her eyes while she was at it. "That's the best rodeo clown I ever seen!"

The kids along with the lion and cheetah all cheered for their friend. He had done such a wonderful job, even he still didn't know it. Finally the cork came off allowing Trouble Shoes to see the audience’s reactions to his performance.

Much like when he remembered in the past, everybody was laughing. But, it wasn't the bad kind of laughing. It was the good kind of laughing. Upon seeing this, he was now realizing that this really is his true passion. And that really was looking at his cutie mark all wrong. He smiled as he removed the barrel, with water that was inside it spilling on his face, removing his clown makeup and big red shiny nose. His happy revelation was cut short when the audience gasped upon recognizing his face.

"Trouble Shoes!"

"What the hay?!" Applejack couldn't believe her eyes while Kion, Fuli, and the kids winced at the sight seeing his cover his blown.

“Oh, boy…” Fuli muttered to herself seeing everything’s doing a 180 on him. And not in the good way.

"He escaped from jail!" One of the townsponies cried.

"Ruinin' another rodeo!"

"Let's get him!"

The two stallions from before finally found a use for their pitchfork and torch and the audience was just about ready to surround and give the poor pony a piece of their mind. Thankfully before that could happen, the children all quickly ran up to his defense.

"Wait, y'all!" Apple Bloom cried out, "He ain't what you think he is!"

"Stand aside, young's!" The sheriff said as he approached them with his deputies standing beside him. "This one's goin' back to jail." But before that could happen both Kion and Fuli quick rushed over to stand in between them.

“Hold it, sheriff!”

“Before you make a mistake you’ll regret!”

“What in the name of Appleoosa is this, young man and lady? Or more accurately young lion and cheetah?”

“We’re saying you shouldn’t arrest him yet.”

“Because there’s something these kids have to say and if I were you I’d pay attention because there’s more truth that meets the eye more than you think.”

The kids smiled when Kion turned back to them. “Go ahead.”

"Trouble Shoes never wanted to ruin any rodeos!" Mtoto said. "Those were just bad accidents!"

“Mtoto, what are you talkin' about?" Applejack asked highly surprised and still confused of what they were talking about.

"Trouble Shoes has a gift for making ponies laugh!" Scootaloo further explained. "He's maybe the best rodeo clown I've ever seen!"

"That's true! He is awful funny." The elderly female judge agreed.

Apple Bloom spoke next. "He thought his cutie mark was telling him to keep away from rodeos, but deep inside he knew it's where he was meant to be. He just didn't know how to do it."

The crowd muttered amongst one another as Trouble Shoes took off his head and moved to explain himself. "What she says is true. This here entertainin' y'all with my klutzin'? That's what I was supposed to be doin'. I know it now. I didn't mean no harm, honest! I just ain't never loved nothin' like I love the rodeo, so I kept on sneakin' back and makin' a big old mess of things. Turns out I was just a-lookin' at my cutie mark all wrong."

The ponies no longer felt anger towards him, it is now that they completely understand him. He truly loves the rodeo and by doing what he did he made everypony laugh, in fact made them laugh like they never laughed before.

"That may be so, Trouble Shoes, but you still gotta face charges for the problems you've caused!" The sheriff sternly said.

Though Trouble Shoes wasn’t going to protest that. "If I done wrong, I'll see to it that I take my medicine and square my accounts."

"Truth be told, we could understand all the trouble with the rodeos, but why'd you have to run off with these here little'uns last night?"

And that’s where the kids had to confess again as they all sported nervous smiles while Shakku and Gumba both stepped forward to speak on behalf of the team.

"Uh, yeah…”

“…about that…"


After explaining the whole incident to the sheriff, Trouble Shoes was now free of all charges and free to be a rodeo clown. He had even began making new friends already. As for the kids…

They had to face the consequences for the misunderstanding that led to Trouble Shoes nearly being prosecuted for a crime he didn’t commit. They were all tasked with cleaning up after the show, and judging from how many events there were today, it was going to take a while. Applejack, Kion, Ono, and Fuli all supervised them while they worked.

Mtoto, Shauku, and Gumba were all sweeping the confetti. Both the mongoose and baboon tried to say something to the little elephant before being beaten to the punch. "Don’t. I told you we’d all get in trouble for this."

“Okay.” The other two boys said without another word knowing that they both had this coming. It was their idea, and there was no way that their guardians we’re going overlook this. It was either that, or seeing to that Trouble Shoes spends the rest of his life in prison just when he had finally came around to living with good luck.

“But still…” The mongoose said as he and the baboon turned to the orange pony.

“…You really want us to clean up all this mess Trouble Shoes made?" Gumba finished and asked.

"Maybe it'll teach you not to go wanderin' off after I say not to!" Applejack said.

"Ugh. Ain't it bad enough that you two get to go back to Ponyville with a shiny trophy, medal, and plaque, and all we're bringing back is these same old blank flanks?" Apple Bloom complained whole looking down at her flank.

"Now I wouldn't say it was all for nothing." Fuli said otherwise.

Kion smiled proudly at them. "You guys all helped Trouble Shoes realize what his cutie mark really means. You believed in him even when no one else did."

"Isn't that something you can take back with you?" Fuli added while also smiling and proud at them with their success. And with one more look at their new happy friend, they all realized the truth in their words of wisdom.

"I guess we did make things a little better." Sweetie Belle said.

"It does feel kinda nice." Scootaloo came to agree.

“Of course it does.” Kwato stated whole-heartedly.

“We just turned a pony’s life around a whole 360.” Kambuni added equally satisfied with what they did.

Shauku then smiled hopefully. "So…does this mean we can keep stop working?"

“Pretty please?” Gumba added with clasped hands.

Kion, Fuli, Ono, and Applejack all looked at each other and then at the kids before giving them their answer.

“Unless you want your parents to find out about all of this…” Fuli started before they all finished together.

"Nnope!"

The two boys both frowned in dismay as they were starting to get tired from all of this cleanup work. But none of the less, not one to complain they both reluctantly pressed forward alongside their friends.

Author's Note:

Before I begin, I start off by saying for those wondering about "Bloom and Gloom."? No, I am not going to be able to cover it in this story, because as I said in a previous comment there is not a whole lot of wiggle room to work with in that episode to make it a crossover worthy episode.

So do not ask me about that again.

Please and thanks.

In this episode, we have another episode featuring the kids this time around while Applejack, Kion, Fuli, and Ono all stand on the sidelines as they track down the notorious Trouble Shoes. When they just happened to find him he's...not exactly what the townsponies and the local sheriff described as.

Turns out he's just misunderstood and cursed with bad luck that happens by accident. Out of place for participating in rodeo events but a different story for true potential as a rodeo clown. Only he never realized it up until he met the little ones accidentally.

But of course lucky for him after some time in jail (again another misunderstanding), the kids were able to help him come to terms of what his cutie mark truly means all while allowing him to gain friends amongst the other rodeo clowns...even though they got the stern talking too from their guardians along with being saddled with cleanup punishment for sneaking out in the first place.

Next up we have "Swept Away." where Beshte along with Applejack find themselves in the Outlands and have to navigate their way out of the dry season heat before the Outsiders claim them so look out for that next week to kick off the new month.

PreviousChapters Next