• Published 9th Jun 2022
  • 685 Views, 24 Comments

Friendship, Love, and Harmony - LovelyFlowerBloom



Aurora Shimmer, a student of Princess Celestia is sent to Ponyville and will soon learn of the Magic and Harmony of Love and Friendship.

  • ...
8
 24
 685

Apple Melody

Ruby Frost yawns and rubs her eyes as she walks downstairs to the dining room of her home/store house that she lives in. She sits at the table as she stares forward with her blind eyes. Wild Crisp, who’s cooking pancakes, turns around to see her sleepy daughter, “You’ll be happy to know that it’s my shift today. Well…for the rest of the week, actually.”

Ruby chuckles, “That’s good. Yesterday was quite tiring.”

“So what are you gonna do on your day off?” Wild Crisp asks.

Ruby Frost shrugs, “I don’t know. There’s not much for a blind pony like me to do anyway. So it’s not like I usually plan for this.”

Wild Crisp smiles, “I thought you’d say that. While I was out yesterday, I caught sight that a musician would be playing in Ponyville Town Hall. Maybe you can go visit it.”

Ruby Frost goes wide-eyed as she hears this, “A musician? Yeah, that could work. Usually when somepony comes to perform in town, it’s usually a visual play that I can’t participate in.”

Wild Crisp nods, “I know. That’s why I was so excited to find out about this performance. The artist’s name is Octavia Melody. An up and coming Cello player from Trottingham.”

Ruby Frost lifts an eyebrow, “Cello? You think I’d do well going to a Cello performance?”

Wild Crisp nods, “Of course. It’ll do you well to get out and experience more that the world has to offer.”

Ruby Frost sighs, “It's a bit hard to do that when I can’t see, ma.”

Wild Crisp frowns, “Doesn’t hurt to try.” Wild Crisp curves a smile, “Who knows, maybe you’ll meet somepony special.”

Ruby Frost rolls her eyes, “I doubt it. Nopony wants somepony who can’t see and appreciate their looks.”

Wild Crisp smirks, “You’d be surprised.”


As per her mother’s suggestion, as evening approached, she made her way down to Town Hall. She was mostly nervous. The idea of going to a performance involving a sophisticated instrument intimidated her. But, as her mother requested. She doesn’t have very many options when it comes to experiencing new things, so she has to get them where she can. As the doors open, she pays her bits and sits in the second row. She waits patiently as the show inevitably starts. Without a word, the performer walks onto the stage and sits down on a stool next to the Cello. She gives it a quick tune and begins playing. Immediately, Ruby Frost’s eyes go wide. She had never heard any form of music with such meaning, not that she was a music pony to begin with.

As the melodic music continued, Ruby Frost hears a scoff from behind her. The voice of an upper class sounding stallion is heard, “How dull her outfit is. A simple collar.”

“And her hair. She just couldn’t bother to style it better?” An upper class mare says.

“Her choice in instrument as well. It looks like it was dug out of the garbage.” Another stallion says.

Ruby Frost scowls. As she is unable to see anything about the pony, she doesn’t judge her on anything having to do with appearance, but simply the music that is being played. It annoys Ruby that they are judging her solely on her presentation. After not too long, the performance ends with minimal applause. Ruby herself, of course, stomped her hooves loud. “Well I’ll be. I ain’t never heard any sort of music like that.”

Once most of the ponies had cleared out, Ruby waited until the presumed exit of Octavia. She finally walks out from a door that leads to backstage. Ruby quickly walks forward, unsure if it’s even actually her due to her blindness, and speaks up, “Hey, are you uh…Octavia Melody?”

The pony stops and looks at Ruby Frost with a raised eyebrow, “That I am.”

Ruby smiles as she’s saved from the embarrassment of asking some other pony that, “Howdy, I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the show. Your music really spoke to me.”

Octavia’s eyes widen in surprise, “You…liked my music?”

Ruby nods, “Yeah, I’ve never heard anything like it. It just…filled me with so much emotions. I guess that’s the best way I could put it.”

Octavia smiles and turns completely to Ruby, “It’s quite rare for me to find somepony who isn’t interested in just my looks. Might I ask what your name is?”

“I’m Ruby Frost. Pleasure to meet you.” Ruby says, extending her hoof.

Octavia extends her hoof and shakes with Ruby, “Octavia Melody, though…you already know that.”

“It seems the reception didn’t go quite as well as it should have, huh?” Ruby Frost asks.

Octavia sighs, “No, unfortunately not. Though, honestly…I’m seldom surprised.”

“Come again?” Ruby says, not understanding the wording that the upper class Griffish Isles speaking Mare uses.

“I get this kind of reaction regularly from all my shows. I have visited many a town and find myself receiving the same feedback. All on my looks and presentation. Never performance.” Octavia says, saddened.

“Well those ponies don’t have a lick of sense. It’s plain as day that you’re quite talented in music.” Ruby Frost says.

Octavia smiles with a blush, “Well, I appreciate your admiration. So what kept you from just seeing my presentation?”

Ruby Frost gets nervous as she scratches the back of her head, “Well…in all honesty. It’s just the fact that I’m blind.”

Octavia is taken aback as her eyes widen, “Oh…I see. My apologies.”

“It’s alright. At least it allowed me to focus more on the music.” Ruby Frost says.

Octavia chuckles, “Indeed. Will you be busy tomorrow? I’d love to chat some more.”

“Yeah, I’m off tomorrow.” Ruby Frost says.

“What would you say to lunch at Daisy’s?” Octavia asks, referring to a diner in Ponyville.

“Yeah, sounds great.” Ruby Frost says with a smile.

Octavia smiles happily as she walks away, “Then I shall be off. Have a lovely evening.”

Ruby Frost tips her hat, “You too.” Once Octavia has gone, Ruby Frost smiles wide, “Wow! Ma was right, I did meet somepony special. Or uh…we’ll see.”


Wild Crisps smirks as the family sits for dinner. “So a date, huh?”

Ruby Frost is about to take a bite of her food before she grinds to a halt and goes wide-eyed. She pauses for a moment before sitting back up and staring forward, “It’s not a date, ma. Nothin’ romantic or anything.”

Wild Crisp giggles, “Suuuuure.”

Snowsweet raises an eyebrow, “Does that mean I’m gettin’ a sister-in-law?”

Ruby Frost immediately chokes on her food for a moment before swallowing clearly. She turns in Snowsweet’s direction, “No! It’s just a hangout between potential friends.”

“And what if it becomes something more?” Wild Crisp asks.

“Then it becomes something more. End of story.” Ruby says, taking a bite of her food.

“And THEN I can get another sister?” Snowsweet asks with a cute smile.

“That’ll ONLY happen if it develops into anything more. And I doubt it will. So don’t get yer hopes up.” Ruby Frost says.

Snowsweet looks down with a frown, “Awwww.”

“And what about you, Ruby? Do you want it to develop into anything more?” Wild Crisp asks.

Ruby Frost looks down, “Honestly, I don’t know. I wouldn’t wanna burden anypony with having to deal with me.”

Wild Crisp’s eyebrows curve, “You’re not a burden, Ruby. You’re just different.”

Ruby Frost rolls her eyes, “Whatever.”


Morning came around and Ruby was quick to get ready. She was eager to meet with Octavia, having never been invited to lunch before. As the time came, she made her way down Ponyville and to Daisy’s. Whereupon not hearing Octavia, decided to sit at a table of her own choosing. As she was blind, she always chose a seat based on listening to tell if anypony was there or not. After not too long waiting, Ruby Frost hears the familiar Griffish Isles accent of Octavia, “Apologies, I would have been here sooner, but I was busy planning my next destination.” Octavia sits down on the seat across the table from Ruby.

Ruby smiles, “That’s quite alright. I wasn’t waiting too long. Uh…whaddya mean planning your next destination?”

“Well, as a traveling musician, I must plan ahead on where I’m going to go next.” Octavia says.

A rush of sadness washes through Ruby’s body as her tone shifts to one of disappointment, “Oh…is that so?”

“I’ll be headed out starting next week. I would like to stay in Ponyville a little longer. I’ve not visited a town so…how do I say? Different, for the lack of a better word.” Octavia says.

Ruby gives a little smile, “Ponyville is quite a nice town. I myself ain’t even from here.”

“Oh? Is that so? Well where are you from?” Octavia asks.

“I’m from an orchard not too far from the White Tail Woods, Galabella Acres. I recently moved here with my ma and little sister. Leaving my big brother, Jonamac, to run the Orchard.” Ruby Frost says.

“Well, he must be quite capable if he’s able to run it all by himself.” Octavia says.

Ruby Frost rolls her eyes, “Trust me, that’s far from the truth. I personally don’t think he’s capable at all. But my ma insisted that he was.”

Octavia chuckles, “Well, we’ll see how that turns out I guess.”

“Guess so.” Ruby Frost chuckles in response.


As the days went by, the two would visit with each other every day. The two’s friendship grew as they were able to understand each other in ways that other Ponies could not. Until eventually, the final day of Octavia’s visit came. Ruby Frost made her way to the train station to see her off. Octavia has her bags in tow as the train arrives, starting to board passengers, “This is goodbye, Ruby Frost. I’m glad you were here to make my visit to Ponyville much better.” Octavia says.

Ruby Frost nods, “Honestly, this has been the best week in Ponyville I’ve had myself. Must you really go so soon?”

Octavia nods, “Yes, I have many more sights to see and more ponies to play for. Perhaps I will come back to Ponyville. I feel like you understand me in a way no Pony ever has before, Ruby.”

“Honestly, the feeling is mutual. I look forward to seeing you again, Octavia.” Ruby Frost says, tipping her head.

“ALL ABOARD!!!” The conductor yells out.

Octavia smiles, “Take care, Ruby.”

Ruby nods.


Octavia turns and walks towards the train before stopping, seeming to hesitate. She quickly turns around to Ruby Frost before quickly galloping up to Ruby Frost and kissing her on the cheek. Ruby Frost’s eyes go wide as she is unsure how to react to this. Octavia ends the kiss without a word and gallops onto the train. The train departs a few seconds after that, leaving Ruby Frost in a state of shock. She gives a passionate smile as she watches the train depart, “Hope to see you again soon.”