• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 4,694 Views, 219 Comments

The Vanishing Star - NocturneD85



Twilight Sparkle finds her brother that she has not seen for more than 20 years. She wants to reunite the family but then realizes it was probably not the best idea. Her brother still never forgiven the family for what they did to him years ago..

  • ...
24
 219
 4,694

ACT 1: Dear Mother

The Vanishing Star

by NocturneD

Warning: some sexual content but not detailed.

"Welcome to your new home son." Big Tex opened the door the home that I would be living the rest of my childhood. It was everything that I thought a rich family would have. Tall walls. Expensive carpeting. Fine art. A water fountain. And that was just when you stepped through the front doors. More and more I was amazed on how much they owned. They had servants but they were not tradition servants. Not very stuck up or emotionless. They were happy to serve this family as Big Tex always saw his workers as friends and they did as well.

When I arrived. They knew there was going to be changes. They had to adjust to serving a child and his needs, no matter how ridiculous. I still could not get over the huge house, I must have gotten lost quite a lot but thanks to the butlers or maids I felt quite at home. But I had my doubts when I first arrived. Not sure if I made the right decision. Here a rich couple were willing to take me in, change my identity, give me what I wanted. But I had no idea what they would be like. I must have crazy to ask them for this. But still, I begged. I told them what my parents did to me. Big Tex scowled at the story, he said he felt sick just hearing what my original parents did to me from time and time again. Betsy hugged me, almost like an angel telling you that everything was going to be alright.

Big Tex was busy quite a lot at his company. But there are times when he worked at home. For a big pony he was, I was a bit scared of him at first. Well he's big. I can give you that. What Big Tex expected out of me was to be just a regular kid. He wanted me to get good grades like any other parent. Well I did. But I stuck to my old life style where I would be in my room making trinkets. There were at times where Tex had second thoughts of keeping me, he was an honest pony and knew the risks of just picking up a child and taking him away from his evil family. The law would not be on his side. Sometimes, I would sneak down from my room because I felt a little home sick. I know, home sick of that evil place? I tip toed down the stairs to overhear Betsy and Tex talking about things...

"Honey... He needs us." Betsy said.

"I know but... I don't think its right." Tex sighed.

"Have you seen that look in his eyes? That was a foal crying for help with some of the small bruises I found on him while giving him a bath." Betsy countered. "It's obvious that his parents are mistreating him."

"But what if they aren't though?" Tex leaned back in the love seat he was sitting on.

"I refuse to take that chance." Betsy turned her head away. "If it helps to take a child into the arms of a better family why even chance it?"

"I'm sorry... But he's not ours. We took him." Tex grunted.

"Tex... do you know how long we've been trying for a baby?" Betsy heaved.

"Honey... please don't bring this up again. It's not your fault." Tex threw his arm around his wife. Caring. Like any husband should. This was always a touchy subject for them. They could never have children because Betsy was one of many ponies that could not get impregnated. Well, she could but her body for some reason could not allow it to carry it to full term. This really made me feel terrible, thoughts of mom having an accident while she was pregnant still lingered. How upset she was for losing that one. But Betsy, lost from what I discovered four. Four times the pain.

But still, Big Tex was having second thoughts about me. He did not try to get too well connected with me at first. But one day, he was seeing how well I bonded with Betsy. She treated me like I was one of her own. The one thing she longed for. She would do the things a mother would do. Hug me. Kiss me. Encourage me. Help me with homework. Play with me. Listened to whatever I had to say. Yell at me when I got in trouble... okay maybe that was bad but it was not as bad as my real mom would be. Bake me a cake for my birthday. Get me presents. Appreciate whatever I got or made for her.

Big Tex was working all the time like I said. But what he worked on were like novelty gifts while Betsy had a seasonal hobby of making Hearth Warming Day decorations that are worth a lot because of their high demand and made a killing. Big Tex worked on a lot of things. I walked in on a few of them where he would be busy designing a toy that would be the next Tickle Me Pony. Time after time he would crinkle up the plans and throw them in the garbage, cursing to himself. Would spend long hours in his study. One day, I showed him my little trinkets that did different things. I tried to cheer him up and was scared that because he was not saying anything that he was judging me. So I played around for him. Spinning tops. Pressing buttons. Flipping switches. They all did different things. Still he just sat there. They all stopped doing what they were doing. I just frowned and was about to pull them back to me until he picked one up and looked at it. He played around with them with interest and chuckled. Asking me if I made all these. I nodded. And thats' when we started bonding a little more. I already had his approval from Betsy anyway but to him, he said I was filled with surprises. He would later submit an idea for a set of toys based on my trinkets, said I would earn my first paycheck if they sold well. For awhile they were just a children's fad but they did sell well. My first paycheck went straight to my college fund to teach me the value about money.

The more we played together with my trinkets the better I got to know him. He would sit next to me as we would work on some of them together as he taught me how to handle the bigger tools. We built a metal spider together with actual moving legs. Though he loved working with me on my toys he coaxed me to go outside and play. He and the workers built me a swing set along with my own clubhouse. Oh how much fun with him pushing me on that thing. Other times we would play catch, he taught me how. Not like dad were you miss the ball and he gives up on you. Tex and I spent a lot of bonding by going on hunting and fishing trips, taking me to museums, playing chess with me.

Though there was one day where I got into trouble going through his things. He demanded me to stop and to come over to his direction. Living with my old family taught me I was going to get punished for anything. I shut my eyes tight and fell over, covering my face. To my surprise. He picked me up and stared at me in the face. Gave me a stern look and explained what I did was wrong. There would be times where he would smack me on the flank but that's when it was called for. I cried of course, but then he would apologize and give me a hug. Like any father would. As the days go on, the more we understood each other. More we trusted each other. More him, Betsy and I became a family.

I did well in school. I joined a few teams. Chess team. Reading club. Computer club. Robot building. And actually tried my hoof at hoof ball for a few years and one a championship through team work and strategy. What's great about our regional victory is that we actually beat Canterlot.

"FADE!"

*BAM*

"OW... What the hell Blocker?"

"We're down by four points and we need this to win. We need a new strategy if we're going to beat these snobs!" This is the captain of the football team Blocker. Him and I never really saw eye to eye during our grade school years. Practically he was on the total jock level while I was the average nerd.

"Yeah come we really need a good one!" Another of our players said to me.

"Oh come on. No way we can make a great play. The referees are totally making bad calls against us." This coming from our panicking players.

"Well... This one might be crazy but it should work." I explained.

"It better man!" Blocker warned. "Only twenty seconds on the clock and we're fifty yards away."

"Celestia help us." One of our other players prayed.

I explained the plan I had in mind. We gave ourselves a hoof pump to signify our brotherhood and set our team back up. Slowly judging Canterlot High's players, half of them were pretty big stallions while others were just prissy and are on the team because their parents are big contributors. Thinking back, my brother used to be part of that team. Now I'm playing for the other side. We were surrounded by our supporters, cheering. Their side screaming for defense. Our side shouting for offense.

"HUT ONE... HUT TWO... HIKE!" Blocker shouted. He received the ball and looked for an opening. But Canterlot's players were closing in on him. I shouted for him and he tossed me the ball. Quickly the players went after me while my team tried to defend me. Man they were fast runners. "BLOCKER!" I shouted, he was racing up next to me. I tossed the ball back to him he caught it. Ten seconds left, he had to dodge and dodge "FADE!" He screamed then tossed me the ball as I caught it. Again and again we alternated. Five seconds remaining, ponies were already getting out of their seats while coaches wanted to walk onto the field for an early game. Blocker tossed me the ball one last time and I caught it... I raced to the goal with the sounds of my team blocking for me. I hear grunts and snaps. My hoof touched down on the colored strip.

"TOUCH DOWN!" The announcer shouted.

My crowd erupted. We cheered. The referee signaled that it was legit touch down and we won the game. Princess Celestia awarded us with the trophy and it felt great. We went back to our town and were hailed as heroes. Tex believed in me every step of the way, him and Betsy were in the crowd that night. Cheering for their son. Cheering for me. I raced up to them and we hugged. There was a huge dinner in my teams honor. We gave speeches, but how lucky was I when my other club members were sitting there clapping for me as well. I did not need to stay in one spot. I was all around. Blocker and I were finally friends, sad thing was it was senior year. We bid each other a good bye and hope to see each other again. He went to college in Manehatten, I attended here in Fillydelphia. He went on to keep playing foot ball until he finally made it into the league. He still checks up on from time to time inviting me to his games. The rest is history for me.

From the beginning. Tex and Betsy always believed in me. Always encouraged me to go that extra mile. I love them and always will. They were the parents I wished I was born with. And I think I was the son they wished they had the chance to create. Well... they helped shape me. From every hug they gave me to every parenting word. They were there for me every step of the way They were the best parents in the world. And I would never trade them for anything.

After Swan and I got the information from my parents on where the next party will be. I decided I was not going to go. Then here comes my sister as usual, checking up on us. She asked if we were having a good time in Canterlot. I admit, it was fine. Swan loved it. She asked if we would like to take a tour around the town, I declined saying that we were fine finding things on our own. Twilight only nodded, but I feel like she was disappointed. She really knew this place up and down. Still this admitting to my original family, it was driving me insane. We stayed out for a bit longer then went back to our rooms at the castle.

I peaked into Ghendi's room. Found that he was working on a friendship report. Scratching his head and trying to write whatever came to mind. He grunted and threw it away. Using his magic to fetch another parchment. "Dear princess Celestia... As a pony who lived by the sword... no... I was never... gah." He crumpled up that paper and threw it away. He fetched another.

I closed the door slowly. I walked to the next room over. It was Synn's. I looked in and found Betsy tucking him in for the night. Gently lowered her head to give him a kiss on his forehead. The little guy blinked and giggled. Betsy did as well, "Did you have a fun day today in Canterlot?"

"Uh huh." He nodded. It was actually adorable seeing the little lye down in that huge bed. Huge pillows, big blankets. His stuffed dragon tucked next to him. Synn gave out a little yawn.

"I'm glad you did then. Tomorrow we can go to the park like you wanted." Betsy smiled.

"Oh boy." He yawned again with a little squeak to follow. The more I watched, the more it reminded me when I was his age. Always listening to her lullabies and tucking me in before I went off to dream land. I never really slept that well when I was still living with my original family, always cried myself to sleep after my father beat me.

"Are you keeping up with your magic training?" Betsy asked.

"Uh huh..." Synn nodded, slowly his eyelids closed. "Fade and Ghendi are..." He yawned again, "Good teachers... good brothers..." Betsy gave him one last kiss good night before she turned turned to leave. I couldn't help but felt pretty touched by Synn. I taught him the basics of magic on my days off, learned pretty much all the basic first level spells but still has some to improve on. It was just that performing in front of a crowd that gets to him. School shows were always awkward when each unicorn child had to perform a spell in front of a crowd. Basic ones like level one levitation spells are usually dismissed and don't count, level two is lifting multiple objects of certain weight is allowed as long as the student can do something impressive with it. Synn performed using magic smoke rings, which is the infant version of Ghendi's fire beam. To complete it, little pegasus fillies flew through his rings. From what I heard he choked and wanted to perform another spell with his friends but ended up blowing rings instead. Oh well. Its natural to be scared getting up in front of a lot of ponies. Little guy is so shy, always hiding behind something.

I turned away from the door and left to go back to my room. Betsy managed to catch me before I turned in. She was in her happy moods again, feeling nostalgic of taking care of another child. She would have never figured that she would be doing it again after I came of age. But she was granted the option again. And I feel happy for her. Synn can have the comfort of a mother finally instead of relying on his brother, still does though. We talked for a bit. Of course I did not go without her disappointment of being in a fight but glad I was okay. See that's what a mother is about. She would care about both aspects, unless she was like my mom Velvet then she would just yell at me for all the bad things never bringing up the good. I asked how her day went, she kept it short by telling me her and Tex took Synn out to enjoy themselves by getting something to eat. Taking Synn to the museums and took him to see the new Batmare movie. Ghendi she told me did not get out much, been in his room all day trying to come up with a friendship report and was talking to the princess about something. Well that got me curious. But I left it alone. Betsy did not go on much longer as she yawned and excused herself. We bid each other a good night and went to our rooms. Swan decided to share a room with me tonight. Again we shared our love for one another. Eventually we fell asleep.


It was another day in the Sparkle house. Mom and dad were at Shining Armor's football game again. Twilight was with them and as usual they forgot about me. I just sat inside my house alone watching TV while doing my homework. Some children can not do both, but I can manage. Man cartoons were the best back then, not like now a days. But back to the story. I finally finished my school work, I assume most of it was right anyway since I was one of the smartest in my class.

My stomach rumbled. Oh man what a good night to leave a foal home by himself. I looked in the refrigerator, nothing good. Freezer, a lot of the food required the oven like with the french bread pizza. I looked in the bottom cupboard beside the oven and found some easy make macaroni and cheese. Simple to make, only needed water and the microwave. I pulled out two and made them, one would be great for a snack but this was for dinner. Thanks parents, forgot to leave a note for your kid incase they're home alone and wanted something to eat. So I ate happily. In a way I got used to being by myself. Had the TV for myself and did not have to fight for the remote just yet. Always had to eat the table, oh ho I'm breaking the rules by eating on the couch. I finished and cleaned up my little area and went back to watching TV.

Just then the front door opened. As usual my family walks through the door. Mom carrying Twilight in. Dad was saying Shining Armor's coach can't coach. Guess that tells you that my brother's team lost huh? My family was all over the place, no pony noticed me sitting on the couch. Until Shining Armor shoved me over and took over the TV.

"HEY!" I shouted.

"Bug off. I want to watch my show." Shining elbowed me again off the couch.

I held my chest and rubbed the pain away, "ow..."

"Oh. Hey honey." My mom finally noticed me from across the room. No surprise, she already got herself an iced brandy for a drink. She always tried to cancel out my fights with Shining Armor with drinking herself stupid sometimes. "What time is your science fair?"

"Today..." I winced.

"Today at what time?" She asked.

"At four in the afternoon sharp." I frowned. I looked over at the clock, it was well over seven thirty by now.

"Oh." She blinked. "So how'd you do?"

I held up a red ribbon. To be honest, it did not matter if I placed in anything. It was about my parents caring that I wanted. "Second place."

"Great." She smiled. Really mom I can see through your empty soul.

By this time Shining let out a huge belch. "Yeah thanks mom for the McPony's after the game. I needed a recharge."

Really? You feed this big oaf and did not bring anything home for me?

"Well glad your filled honey." My mom smiled.

"Um... Mom?" I asked while walking up to her.

"Yeah?" She looked down.

"Do you... um think you can come to science tournament next week?" I asked while twiddling my hoofs together. "I'm in it with my team."

"Wh..." My mom was about to reply.

"Mom I need a ride to my next game next week." Shining said from the next room over.

"Can't your father?" She asked.

"He's working that day." He replied. "It has to be next Friday."

"But the tournament is next Friday." I moaned.

"Come on butt-head my games are more important." Shining taunted.

I grunted, "How many times can you lose?"

With that Shining threw a pillow at my head out of frustration.

"Shining!" My mom scolded. "I'll take you to your game but..."

I had it and did not listen to what she had to say. I went to my room and slammed the door. Why can't I ever get a break? Just once with my family just doing one thing that I wanted to do? As usual, tears were leaking out. I just could never win. As you already know. I told you time and time again my mom would never pay attention to the more important things going on and would just let things go. She would only step in once she finally gets it through her head that something might be wrong. Sure she yelled at my dad to snap out and rethink his idea of leaving me at the golf parking lot. She even yelled at my brother from time to time about how how he's going to kill me one day. Well, ever since he broke my arms that one time, she had the pleasure of slapping Shining repeatedly barely letting him explain. If you could see a seven year old clap sarcastically with both of his arms in casts, you'd laugh too. Or cringe. Mostly cringe.

So when time came for the quiz bowl tournament. As expected I was sitting with my team up on stage against another school. Rules were simple, each team has to get the most points by answering the most questions correctly. Since I was in the gifted class anyway, I earned my spot on the team. It went on schedule with no problem. Each side answered to the best of their ability. At that time, I figured mom was watching Shining Armor play another losing game. Well my team was not winning anyway so why embarrass myself. Dad yells at Shining Armor for having a bad coach, what's he going to yell at for me losing? The faculty that set up the team?

Half time was called. We were behind by twenty points and I really needed a break. I went to the snack table to get some juice and cookies. Nom. Nom. Oh these were great. Glider's mom really out done herself with the ginger snaps. Oh man, Crispy Creme's mom made donuts with cream in them! I stuffed my mouth. Rice crispy treats. Sugar cookies. By the way, this was my dinner as I assumed. Had some lemonade and cherry drink to wash it all down.

"Easy there honey you're going to get a stomach ache if you eat too much." I heard a familiar tone.

I swallowed another treat and turned around. Just once. I thought I was dreaming. But my mom was standing there. Maybe I ate too much to hallucinate? I slowly walked up to her, was this real?

"Sorry I'm late. Did I miss the entire first half?" She asked.

"Well yeah." I frowned. "You just dropping by?"

She placed her hoof on my mane and brushed it a little, "No honey. I'm going to stay this time."

"What about Shining Armor's game?" I asked.

She frowned, "I told Shining Armor to start hitching rides with his friends. Not going to be driving him and his friends all around Equestria."

"Want a brownie?" I smiled and held up a piece for her.

"Hmm... You know maybe I will." She used her magic to take a bite. "Mmm.. Not bad, which one of your friends mothers made this?"

"I think Goldy's dad made that. Or was it her other dad?" I said tapping my own head.

But with that comment my mom just blinked after the little statement I made about my classmate; Goldy having two dads and no mom. "Well tell Goldy her dad's brownies were tasty."

We ate happily together. Honestly this was better than I thought. I loved it when mom stopped defending the evil doer. Half time was over with some stupid anti-drug PSA being presented by the older kids dancing around in goofy colored sweaters. Honestly no pony was paying attention to them. So I took my seat back up on stage. Mom took a seat somewhere in the third or fourth row. In the end, my team still lost. And I did not quite feel as bad. I would have been used to going home by myself but this time mom let me ride on her back as she trotted around the gym. We ran into my teacher Mrs. Rocky who had a lot of praise for me and honored to meet my mom after putting off the parent teacher conference many times. We did not talk long, I told Mrs. Rocky goodbye and I managed to snag some more of the snacks before going home.

I know what you're thinking. This seems somewhat normal of two brothers fighting for mom's attention. But I never actually had her to myself. For the first time in what seemed to be like eons but really just maybe a year. Mom and I actually tried to have fun. Dad was going away on a business trip for a week much to his dislike but it was mandatory. Shining Armor was going to spend some time over a friends house, Twilight was still at home but she mostly kept to herself with her books.

Here comes the part where I want to bring up. Mom tells us. Her kids that she wants a little "Me" time to herself from time to time. Fair enough looking back on this but when you are a kid you always want to get her praise. So from time to time, her time usually consists an hour to herself and then a nap. She does her special time usually when no pony is around or whenever no pony who can really assume what she is doing in her bedroom. Or better yet her own little study room. Well from time to time I get curious on what she does in there. So I pressed my ear to the door and heard some things. The song; Adiemus I could hear playing. She liked listening to that CD she bought from the commercial called Pure Moods. And to be honest, I liked listening to it as well. One of the songs I tried to put on Twilight's little music box came from that album. Mom and I would listen to it together at times as we napped together whenever she decided to get out of her buzzed state. I heard moaning coming from inside the room. The tempo of the song picked up as I heard a mare moan and groan again and again. This went on for about fifteen minutes until I heard the mare scream out in passion. The door was locked so I could not see who it was in there. I could knock on the door sure but that would just make things more obvious.

So I decided to play detective. The next day around that time mom made sure she put Twilight down for nap time. I was told to do the same but instead I fixed my pillows into my blanket and then hurried into mom's study. Pretty much as you would expect. Shelves and shelves of books, her own desk, even her own in built fountain. A walk in closet. Her computer where she writes her stories on. A grand piano to the far left of the room. Mom was always into classical. A few bust statues of random ponies I still have no idea who they are. She had a weird half bed couch thing in the center of the room. I heard foot steps coming so I hid in the closet. Luckily for me I could still see outside the closet with a few blinds being rolled rolled in.

So in came my mother closing the door behind herself. She locked it of course. I breathed slowly as I watched. She walked over to her work desk and unlocked one of the drawers. She pulled out what appeared to be a large purple stick. I gasped slightly, what was she planning on doing with that? Was she going to join in on dad beating me? I heaved slightly. But I continued to watch. She walked back over to her weird couch. Pulled out a remote and started up the CD player to play another song, I think it was called Sail Away and was still on the same Pure Moods CD. Mom was waltzing around the room talking to herself. Pretending another stallion was there. I wonder. My little mind processed that she might have an imaginary friend or something. But she kept holding up the stick like it was something. Slowly she lifted herself up to her hind legs and started dancing around the room. Saying stuff. Her face blushed a few times as she giggled.

(warning: skip this part if you don't want brain bleach)

And then. She pretended she was feeling something that was taller than her. She puckered her lips then tried to kiss thin air. Weird I thought. Suddenly she knelt down then positioned the purple stick to her own face and put it in her mouth. I blinked. She danced around the room, talked to herself then started sucking on a stick. Weird. She moaned while that thing was in her mouth. She talked and giggled some more. Was I missing something here? Who was she talking to? An invisible pony or something? I did not hear anything back so she must have been playing with herself. She propped herself onto her couch and laid down. Telling whoever to take her. Take her where? Well... Let's just say my fragile little mind had to witness my own mother shoved that purple stick into her honey pot as little Twilight liked to call it. She moaned, moaned and called out a different name other than my own dad's. I knew his name was Orion but who the hell is Commander Shepard? She shoved that stick into herself again and again until she moaned out one final time and collapsed onto the couch.

I was just standing there. Wondering what the hell I just saw. But little did I know back then. I just watched my mom try to act out a scene she wanted to write in her book and masturbated. I will now go get the brain bleach. What's worse was... My own private area was aroused by this. I feel like garbage for saying that.

But the story does not end there oh no. She was breathing heavily. Smiling as she closed her eyes. But then... I sneezed. My mother jolted up from the couch as she looked around. I tried to back away but tumbled over some stuff she had in the closet. Quickly I tried to hide further in the closet but the door opened up. I looked up to see my mother looking down at me mortified standing on her hind legs. Her eyes trembled. Her body exposed, leaking from her private area. I saw everything. I was scared.

Note: Continue after warning listed

Well... what came after that. Was a stern talking to. I was sent to my room while I heard my mother cry to herself, cursing to herself. I tried to apologize but mom just told me to stay in my room until she wanted to see me again, saying that spying on ponies was bad. So. I sat in my room, I got fed still but the conversation around the table was quiet. Twilight kept running her small mouth about Smarty Pants adventures.

I got ready for bed. Twilight was already asleep for the night. I was not expecting a good night from my mom let a lone a kiss because whatever I did back there I really upset her. My door was still open and I was expecting the lights out in the hallway to go out at any minute. And on schedule they did. But something happened. Mom decided to step into my room and not into hers, as her bedroom was furthest away from mine. She a purple nightgown on and part of her hair tied in a tail. I waited for her to say something but... She walked over to the side of my bed... and lifted the covers and slid in next to me.

"Sweetie?" She asked.

My eyes wandered over to her while I still tried to look up at the ceiling, "Yes mom?"

"Did you know what you just saw?" She asked.

"N...No." I answered.

"Well..." She sighed. "It's something that grownups do to keep themselves happy."

"By dancing around with an imaginary friend?" I asked

She shook her head. Ashamed of what she did. "Mommy has been feeling down lately. Daddy always at work and... he's been pretty distant lately because of Shining and Twilight's school to pay for."

"Are you sad?" I turned to her.

I looked at her. A tear slowly went down her cheek, "Mommy is really sad. Turns out you aren't going to be a big brother again." Slowly she moved her arm around me to pull me close. I let her. "Mommy had an accident awhile ago and she wants to try again..."

I snuggled into her chest, "Why not?"

She sighed, "Because daddy isn't happy either. Daddy is overworked and... we decided not to try again for another baby."

"I'm... sorry..." I mumbled.

"No... don't be sweaty... But what you saw mommy doing..." She sighed, "Was a cry for help... mommy and daddy are not happy. Mommy wants romance like in her books that she writes. But daddy... daddy is having problems." She put her snout to mine, "You three are miracles... mommy can't make a lot miracles."

"How many miracles did you want?" I asked.

"Daddy and I tried about... nine times and you three made it." She sniffed. But from this, I finally figured that miracles meant kids. I could have had six other brothers and sisters. I really did not know this about my mother and father, trying to make the best of things but were denied most of the time.

"Does daddy still love you to try?" I asked.

She sniffed again. Okay dumb question. She frowned, "I don't know anymore. I don't think he finds me pretty anymore..."

"I think you're pretty." I smirked.

"Thank you..." She cried a little.

"Do you still want miracles mommy?" I asked.

"Very... Very much. But sometimes... you have to take care of what you got." She smiled weakly while rubbing my cheek with her hoof. "Even if it hurts... But mommy still wants to try."

Slowly she inched her mouth towards me and gave me a kiss on my forehead. I giggled "Mom?" I asked.

"Yes?" She asked.

"I'm sorry I'm bad." I frowned."

"You're not bad honey. You were always mommy's little shining star." She smiled. I could see more tears erupt for her eyelids, "Mommy is sorry if any pony..."

That night... I felt comfortable. My mom held me as we slept. I heard her heart beat.


I woke up and moaned. Thought back to why my mom Velvet had become this shell. I remember her telling me her and dad tried for nine kids. But Shining, Twilight and I were the only ones that survived. Losing six children I can understand can do harm on your psyche. But losing another that day...

I couldn't take this anymore.

My mom never deserved any of this. Even though she sat back and watched dad hurt me and knock me down she was always willing to pick me back up again.

I felt a drop of water land on my hoof. I was crying. For once I was crying because I was feeling guilty.

I started to heave harder and harder. Soon I woke up Swan.

"What's wrong Fade?" She rose from her side of the bed.

"I... Era...Ergh.." I couldn't even make sense of what I even had to say. "IMSORRYMOMMA" I cried over and over again. "IWASNTTHINKING..."

Swan quickly threw her arms around me. Patting my head and letting me cry into her shoulder.

"IDONTWANNAGOIDONTWANNAGO..." I kept repeating myself crying like a child, trying to hold myself back on my words but it just spilled out.

"Fade!" She slightly pulled me away, putting her hoofs to my cheeks shaking me slightly. "Fade.. Please... baby... you have to put away your pride and just tell them. If you don't and leave next week without... then you're going to be lying to yourself. And you will spend the rest of your life wondering..."

I just kept crying. Like a child that was hurt.

"... You don't want to see Twilight hurt do you?" She asked sternly.

I shook my head sideways.

"Baby... I want you to be happy. I don't want anymore skeletons in the closet." She raised her voice slightly. "The world isn't always sun shine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place. Nothing is going to hit harder than life... It's going to beat you to your knees and keep it there if you let it. If you don't want to tell then fine. But you'll lose my respect... And I'm sure Twilight's. You already made her out to look like a fool that night. They didn't quit on you. YOU QUIT ON THEM!"

I kept heaving, almost hiccuping.

"Baby I'll be there with you every step of the way. Ghendi and Synn will too. Tex and Betsy. Every pony back home. But you can't keep lying to yourself..." She still had her hoofs on my face. "But if you don't start believing in yourself through this. You're not going to have a life. You're just going to be wondering what could have been... You're the best thing in my life Fade... If this is a big obstacle for you. Then I'll help. Ghendi will help. Synn can help. Every pony can help."

I looked at her. She was crying too.

I guess this marked to moment of truth.

The next day... I walked to the Sparkle house hold. Swan beside me.

I knocked on the door. And mom answered it. Behind her were some of my relatives running back and forth in the kitchen getting food ready. Twilight and Cadence were also scurrying around in the back going over the supplies. Mom was holding a pot when she answered.

"Oh... Mr. Fade Away." She blinked. "The party isn't until tonight. What brings you here?"

I let out a deep sigh. Then nodded my head with a smile.

Ate my pride. "I'm home mom..."





PLEASE REVIEW