• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 4,695 Views, 219 Comments

The Vanishing Star - NocturneD85



Twilight Sparkle finds her brother that she has not seen for more than 20 years. She wants to reunite the family but then realizes it was probably not the best idea. Her brother still never forgiven the family for what they did to him years ago..

  • ...
24
 219
 4,695

ACT 1: Dearest Father (chapter 3)

The Vanishing Star - by NocturneD

ooo

I had a difficult choice to make. My long lost sister just announced to my family that princess Celestia wanted to present me with an award for my achievements. The ceremony was going to take place in Canterlot in town square and a banquet in my honor. The highest honor for the princess herself to give an award to any pony was enough to set them on a bright future and guaranteed fame by going down in the name of history. Something that my former family devoted their entire life to pleasing royalty, something I never really cared in doing is now on a silver platter is being presented to me.

Big Tex and Betsy. Their faces with excitement braced their lips. They raised me to make the choices that would made me the stallion I am today. Ghendi smirked, he was very appreciated of me ever since I granted him a second chance at life. And for Synn, how can I say no to that young face of his? Then there was Twilight... The prized student of Celestia and protege. With the stories she told me she seemed liked she had herself an interesting life by living in the castle and then moving to the town of Ponyville. I told you time and time again that I didn't care for royalty but... Twilight came all this way to tell me. That night in my room while drawing up some plans, Twilight walked in to talk. We had a talk about the night dad drove off and I decided I was not going to play his game. I learned that there were ponies in my family that cared for me to even throw me a surprise party. Well... the surprise to them was me going missing. My parents got disowned by the rest of the family and relatives, the social services were called in by the neighbors as Twilight and Shining Armor were taken from them. Even if mom and dad meant to come back and get me, they could have prevented this by just letting me have my one day... And I feel that they got what was coming to them. Dad especially...

But still on my mind, what did happen to the rest of the family? I asked Twilight, "What happened to grandma Lucrecia?"

My sister curled her lip and looked sadly down to the floor, "Well... grandma has been really distant from us because of what happened. Could say, when you went missing that sort of set her off."

My grandma... My favorite relative... Being distant?

"What do you mean distant?" I asked. "Surely she would talk to you and Armor."

"Well. Would not say totally distant but she barely says a word anymore to us because what we're doing now." Twilight rubbed her cheek a little in a circle motion, "From what I heard she teaches magic to little foals who have trouble learning it on their own."

That was so much like grandma. Always boosting the progress along.

"But... Is she... you know." I tried to ask. "Lonely?"

Twilight turned her head for a second then looked at me again, "Well the kids keep her company so she's not all that lonely."

"And mom and dad with her?" I asked.

"Like I said grandma disowned them. Grandparents on mom's side still talk to us but... pretty much the same when they found out you were missing." Twilight, I knew she did not like talking about the family.

I stopped her, "You know what. That's fine for now Twilight." I put down my pen and put away the drawing plans for another night. Slowly I rose from my seat and walked over to hug her. "That's what I wanted to know."

She hugged back feeling her small frame against mine. "Do... You have any regrets?"

I sighed, "Some regrets I wished I didn't do. And some I'm glad for."

She looked up at me with sad eyes, "Was I any part of you going missing?"

I frowned, returning her sad gaze, "I..." I sighed. "You were so young back then I could not blame you for anything. Well, except for the times you really did do something bad." I frowned, "Shining Armor, mom and dad on the other hoof is another story." Twilight lowered her head, "They're really sorry for what they did..."

"Well... if they are they are." I shook my head, "But back then, they were monsters to me." I let go of my little sister, "They treated me like I was a red headed step child or barely even paid attention to me. I don't know why at first but..." I trailed off...

"You what?" She asked.

"Please don't get mad but... I think it had something to do with me not wanting to associate with royalty."

"That's... that's ridiculous." She scowled.

"It is I know..." I nodded, "Most of our family had something to do with royalty whether it was a scholar, teacher at the gifted school, a royal guard, a chef, anything..."

"You can't possibly say mom and dad mistreat you because of that." Twilight scoffed.

"Well...You passed that exam, Shining Armor was going to enroll in the guard academy. Twilight I can list relatives that had something to do with royalty. The Sparkle house name were servants to royalty since like... centuries."

Twilight just stared at me. Then blinked. "That still was not a good excuse for them to do such things."

I just shook my head, "Then I have no idea why dad would hit me periodically and mom would allow it to happen then..."

Twilight shook her head in return, "I'm sorry that all that happened to you but really they changed..."

"I'm sorry... But I just don't care about that. You can go on how much they changed but the memories of being yelled at, struck across the face, hit on the head, arm twisted, being told you're no good, being told why was I even born, have your inventions thrown back in your face and told you're wasting your life will never leave me alone." I brought up, "Twilight... Dad left me alone in that place and mom allowed him to. They might have not been tough on you or Shining Armor but to me... I dunno why... they think I was some sort of waste of life."

"That's not true!" She grunted.

"Then I don't care. Sorry to say if you want to defend two child abusing ponies just because their one son did not want to serve royalty." I turned my back and faced my large panel window looking out into the courtyard.

ooo

More memories surged through my brain...

I was only seven...

I finished my homework as usual and was promised if I finished it I could go out and play. I made sure every problem and question was answered and rechecked my work. I would usually arrive home at three fifteen after school was lead out and walk home slowly. I did not want to go home, my parents were just going to get on my case again and Shining Armor was probably waiting for an idea to hurt me again. Twilight was probably just innocently reading another fairy tale. Five o clock was usually dinner time so I had an hour to myself.

I only had a few friends. Grim; a green boy unicorn and Tails a blue boy pegasus. Sometimes if we were lucky we got Jacks; a red earth pony to play but was occasionally. We were pretty tight, though we were probably the group of undesirable in school. Rejects if you want to say that. But we cared for each other and helped each other out whenever we could. We would go down to the park and play. But there was always something awkward they would ask about me having a bruise or two, asking where I got it. Mom and dad told me to never say where I got it so I had to lie or else I was going to be lectured about going to move into a far worse family that would beat me twenty four seven. Pfft...

Well. That day I played with my friends. Only time I could ever have any fun. And so, dinner was coming close and I excused myself for the day. Well, back home. I did what I was told, sat down in my spot. Mom made Shining Armor's favorite... disgusting hay fries... Ugh... I'll explain dinner real quick. Mom would have a night devoted to each of our favorite foods, only thing, if she makes it for the one pony then we all have to have it. And if you did not like it, then you're shit out of luck. What was my favorite? Daisy tacos. Guess how many times we had those? Almost never...

How many times have we had hay fries? Every freaking Thursday night. Well I sat there at the dinner table with my family. Looking at my meal. I made small little bites but I tended to go for more of the side dish, the fries. Twilight was not a big fry eater either. But I barely touched the fish sticks. I don't know what caused this but... well see for yourself...

"Every Thursday we go through the same thing... just eat your dinner." My dad grunted.

"I... I don't like hay... hay fries." I nervously replied.

"Well that's too bad because every Thursday is hay fries and daisy burgers. Your mom isn't going to go back in the kitchen to make you anything else because you're being an idiot." My dad scolded me.

"Just eat up little butt-head." Shining Armor grabbed another portion for himself.

"My throat hurts whenever I eat them..." I looked down at the plate.

"Just eat it..." My dad then tensed up.

"No... Its hard for me to breath." I mopped. Of course, this was me pleading that I could have some ground in this damn family.

My dad just let out a huge grunt. "Fine..." He lifted my plate. I thought he was going to take my portion so I could have less fries. Well... Not exactly... He adjusted his right arm. "Go to your room..."

Huh? What for?

"I...what did I do?" I asked.

"I just had a hard day at work and I don't want to hear your bullshit saying you don't want to eat." He scolded me. "I work to put food on this table and whatever I buy for your mom to cook is what we have!"

"But I'm still hungry..." I teared up.

"Don't put that crap on me again. You either eat what is here or you don't eat at all." He yelled.

"I just don't want this." I replied.

He just shook his head and exhaled. Before I knew it he stood up and dragged me to my room and... Well you get the idea. He beat me. On my back, neck, arms, everywhere. He called me a waste of space and useless. My mom did nothing... again... she only stood there as dad hit me over and over again. Twilight stood behind mom holding her doll. Dad walked out of the room and slammed the door. I laid there on hardwood floor... in pain... and cried as usual. I hated my dad so much... can't rationalize that maybe I can't eat certain food without it making me sick?

I was still on the floor hours later. I just decided to stay there and sleep. Maybe hoping to die one day... But then that's when she came in... Twilight peeking her head into my door. I saw her plain as day. But did not say anything. I did not want to talk.

"Vanishing Star?" Her little voice squeaked quietly.

"..." I did not even answer.


"Are you okay?" She asked, this time she opened the door wider.

"..." Again no answer.

She slowly walked towards me. I only sniffed. If I had any tears left. Her curiosity peaked. She looked down at me sadly. Almost like I was dead.

"Why does daddy hit you like that?" She asked.

I couldn't come up with an answer. But then... She laid down next to me. Cuddled up close to me. And wiped my dry tears with her little blanket she brought in. I wrapped my arm around her, guess she was the only pony in the family I could trust. But yet she was too naive... But I did not want this to end... Despite her having no wings... Twilight was a little angel...

ooo

I just blinked at Twilight for her response.

She pondered for a minute to reclaim her memories of the event.

"Actually... I did sort of remember that." Twilight sadly brought up. "Just seeing you like that on the ground with bruises... defenseless..." She shook her head, "I can understand why you would not want me to tell them.."

"Nor why I would want to see them again... if they plan to go to the celebration that is..." I said. "So that's why... I don't want them to know..."

"I'm sure they would be glad to see you... Maybe put things aside?" She asked.

"No Twilight... there is much more to that." I said. "I'm not Vanishing Star anymore... Just Fade Away."

"Is Fade Away my brother? Or is Vanishing Star?" She put on a determined look.

"Vanishing Star... is but... Vanishing Star wants to punch a hole through Mr. Sparkle's face and cripple Shining Armor. Fade Away just makes technology and extra arms and legs to help ponies." I shook my head, "Please Twilight. Don't tell them about me."

She had a sad look on her face. Like as if, the one thing she was looking and hoping for her life... Just shattered before her, rendering the search... Wasteful...

"I guess I won't mail the letter then after all." Her head hung in shame.

"What letter?" I blinked.

She pulled out a parchment of some kind and used her magic to levitate towards me. I unfolded it myself and read,

Dear Mom and Dad,

Thank you so much for buying me the latest Big Tech tablet model. Even further a thank you for getting me the winning tablet so I could be one of the winners to attend a big party with the team who built it along with the inventor. I just met him and he's really as nice, friendly and very generous to the ponies of all shapes and sizes as the ponies and magazines claim him to be. The billionaire playboy is pretty much accurate though. Also no, this not a letter to tell you that Mr. Fade Away took first glance at me and wanted me to be his wife if that is what you were expecting... Heavens no.

I was also sent here by Princess Celestia herself to deliver the news to Mr. Fade Away. That Celestia noticed his talents in the field and is ever so thankful that one pony could make a difference. She wants to give him an achievement award for his prosthetic limb project in helping the injured and less fortunate to walk again. I will be giving the opening speech to welcome Celestia as she will say a speech then finally give Fade Away his award. As usual the ceremony will be in Canterlot, town square. He graciously accepted the invitation as his family and guests cheered and encouraged him.

Here comes the shocking part. As I sat down to ask him for an interview he ended up giving me more detail about his childhood. He was an adopted child and was picked up by another family that gave him the love and resources he deserved. As it turns out... I hope you two are sitting down for this part but... Vanishing Star never died in the desert that summer when we went to Pony Canyon or was kidnapped. As it turns out... The pony that welcomed me with open arms and showed me around the facility, gave me front row seats to his next inventors convention... Was really Vanishing Star this entire time.

It hit me like a ton of bricks but I want to tell you that the brotherly soul never diminished and was still there. Unfortunately, bad memories of his former upbringing still haunt him. I'm not writing this letter to chew you and Shining Armor out. I'm just writing this letter to give you peace at mind finally. Vanishing Star is still the sweet brainy brother that I remembered him as when I was a little filly. And the best news of all, he's getting married sometime in the future.

But mom, dad... I know the years when Van went missing were not easy on your reputation. And I'm sorry to say from what I remembered, you did deserve it. I still remember the times when you two would give Van a hard time for something ridiculous like not stocking the pantry right. Or not caring if he can't have certain foods without medication. Dad chewing him out for a simple mistake. Dad smashing his inventions when all Van ever tried to do was cheer me up with his toys. So what if it sparked? I'm sorry but... I just have to ask why? Why did dad hit and yell at him so many times? Why did mom just sit and watch. I'm sorry but... I remember some of those...

If you two want to attend then that is welcomed. If you want to talk to him, again fine. But just letting you know... He might or might not forgive you two and as much as I want you three to patch everything up. It won't be an easy bridge to cross.

Love, Twilight Sparkle

P.S. I promised Van I would not tell you... but already I betrayed him... And I feel terrible for it.

I read the letter through and through. I just shook my head and sighed. "Looks like you had a hard time writing this thing."

Her eyes wandered, "If you don't want me to mail it... I understand."

"Well..." I looked at the letter, "It's not that I don't want you to mail it. But I told you a couple of times not to tell them about me."

"And I'm sorry." She sniffed, "But really if you could have seen their faces when the police stopped looking for you. Even your friends..." Again wiping her face.

"Twilight... If I'm going to do this I want it to be on my terms." I sternly looked at her, "I really appreciate your help but this is something that I got to deal with by myself."

"But..." She tried.

"Do you understand?" I cupped both her cheeks. "If I need help then I'll ask for it."

She sighed in defeat, "Alright..." She smiled, "If you're open with me then I welcome it."

"Alright..." I smiled, "Go get some sleep. There is so much catching up to do."

She giggled, "Alright... I'll see you tomorrow then. Good night." She gave me a kiss on the cheek and then turned to leave. But as she was almost out the doorway, she turned her head again and asked, "Is... Ghendi and Synn kids of Big Tex and Betsy?"

"Pfft..." I blew a piece of my hair out from my face and smiled, "Nah. I offered those two to live with us and Big Tex and Betsy did not argue with it. And no..." I smirked, "They're not my brothers... so go ahead."

She blushed, "What? What are you saying?"

I chuckled, "Ohhh... You can't make me say it."

She blushed harder, "No really?"

"I'm not telling..." I attempted to turn around and chuckle.

"Come on!" She whined. It was too cute seeing her face like this.

Twilight was not a little filly anymore.

ooo