• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 4,694 Views, 219 Comments

The Vanishing Star - NocturneD85



Twilight Sparkle finds her brother that she has not seen for more than 20 years. She wants to reunite the family but then realizes it was probably not the best idea. Her brother still never forgiven the family for what they did to him years ago..

  • ...
24
 219
 4,694

Chapter 12

The Vanishing Star

by NocturneD


This just keeps getting weirder and weirder...

You would think after confronting the old man everything would have been settled. No, well maybe. I made him open his eyes that I was not to trifle with anymore. I was no longer the weak and helpless colt he without effort could beat down. No longer did I fear the monster I wanted to slay for all these years. But, the cliche in stories lately is when you beat what you think is the real bad guy, there was always a greater motive behind it. What drove the bad guy to do what he did. Why? How? For what purpose?

*Sigh*

You spend so long wanting that certain pony to pay. And all you find is a broken down middled aged pony who has only a hobby and a wife to show for it. His dreams crushed, his life uncertain, his reputation tarnished and left out in the street with uncaring ponies walking over it. My dad... All he wanted what was for the best of us, but he could not maintain it. Everyday when I was small I worried about whenever he came home unhappy he was going to just hit me for no reason. He had his moments where he did it and I often wondered why? What did I do to deserve all of that abuse? Let alone mostly me. I seen Twilight get beat a few times, then there was Shining Armor who got a few whacks. But me... It always was about me. And after finally learning why he did it, there was a story behind that. There was always a story. No pony is just straight out evil anymore huh? Now a days villains had a reason for doing stuff. Nothing like cartoon villains of the eighties where they just wanted to destroy the world for no reason.

Dad mentioned something about a main family and how we were just part of the branch family. All the relatives who showed up at the banquet the other night were also branch families. I really have no idea how this worked but if I know anything, it seems like the family reunion every year is just one giant competition. Mentioning of trying to impress the main family? Who exactly? Why the separation? It got my dad all worked up all these years. Left him an empty soul.

"Fade?" Swan asked.

I perked up a bit, snapping out of my thoughts. "Oh yeah. What's up?"

"You've been spacing out a lot lately." Swan rubbed my cheek with her snout, lovingly. "Did things not go well with your dad?"

How was I supposed to answer that?

I sighed and shook my head.

"He was not happy to see you?" She asked. In the corner of my eye I noticed Synn was on her back ready to doze off. We did sort of wake up early just to do this so I allowed him to get comfortable. Still we remained in front of my grandfather's burial plot. Always wondered why we lived not too far from a cemetery. Always thought it was scary. Shining Armor telling me stories about zombies coming up from their graves to snatch up their victims whoever wanders around at night. That's why I always raced home before it got dark. Either take a chance of going home to a broken home or getting my arms and legs eaten off by the living dead. Hmm... Tough choice. But it was not just Shining Armor, dad would tell us something about a creature that would wander around at night and would take bad children because they were easier to catch. Breaking into their rooms at night and snatching them away so they can take them to their queen and turn them into creatures like them. Seems rather familiar huh? But then again, I beat the crap out of my dad so it was justified right?

"More or less..." I simply answered. "Just thinking about what my dad said. And what Synn just asked."

"What did your father say?" She asked.

"Well... Said that the reason why most of the Sparkle family is serving royalty is because they want to impress the main family. He pushed me back then to try and get into either the magic school or be a guard, something to rouse interest and help the royal family." I frowned.

"All fathers want the best from their kids." She simply answered. "But from what you been telling me for years it might be adding up."

My eyes narrowed, "Really now?"

She shifted her shoulders slightly, careful not to make Synn fall off. "Well that or your dad is lying. But don't you think its really interesting? Like if your family is apart of a secret society?"

I frowned. "Not very secret if you know about it."

"Come on." She chuckled, "It sounds adventurous." Her cheerfulness changed quickly, "But makes you wonder if you were supposed to know."

"My dad is a broken shell. Probably does not care if he spills anything." I was still frowning. "Plus if we were not supposed to know then I'm pretty sure if the main family are as powerful as my dad says. You'd think they would have spies everywhere or would have sworn secrecy." I chuckled, "Not like they're the new world order."

"Well the Sparkle family does have ties to royalty for over a long time. Come on aren't you one bit curious how it works?" Swan was in one her persuasive moods again.

"My dad is a liar. Always was a liar." I turned to her, "If you want to believe in that bull shit then good for you. I just came here to make amends with my family. So far my mom went better than I thought. My brother could have went better. Twilight pretty much she wants to talk to me all the time. Dad... Well he's broken its almost pitiful."

She fell silent. I did not care. We had our arguments in the past but would always make up later. Not too worried but I had to hand it to her, she was there for me when I was blubbering like a baby last night. Like I was eight years old again. But just seeing her with Synn resting on her back, who could stay mad at her? She imposes on the situation, tries to be a peace maker but sometimes she does not know all the facts. Then again, she had me running a couple of times back then when it came to competition. Sorry I just rambled on about random stuff again. I focused my attention back to my grandfather's tombstone.

"Vincent 'Draco' Valentine. Husband. Father. Grandfather. Royal Guard. Hero." I read proudly. I took a deep breath. "Hey grandpa. It's me Vanishing Star." I continued to look at the head stone. "Thought you never hear from me again huh?"

Nothing else much came except for me saying what I learned to the hunk of stone. Hoping that grandpa was somewhere out there listening about my problems and accomplishments. Swan just left me alone, letting me talk some more. "Sorry grandpa. Where are my manners? This here is my fiancee, Swan Song and a youngling I took in, Synn." Swan just turned her neck to nuzzle Synn as he slept on her back. "So... pretty much grandpa. I wanted to pay my respects but I'm guessing that this whole family affair is going to take a lot of effort. But... I really just want to quit while I'm ahead because I made up with my mom. Dad, I can honestly live without... maybe. He gave me some stupid story saying that a patriarch is part of a family branch and he got so frustrated that's why he treated me the way he did... As much as I wanted to forgive him, the whole reason was stupid and finally the shoe is on the other hoof. I dunno grandpa... If you can just send me a sign."

I just sighed. What was I even asking for? I said my goodbye to grandpa and left the graveyard to head back to the castle. I gave Ghendi a text to know where we are but I think he wants to get closer to my sister. As an older brother, normally I should give the boyfriend a death glare to make sure he treats my sister right. But strangely, Twilight fell off from being my sister all these years that I barely know a lot about her. I do want to protect her and know what's best for her. But I really can't say anything because she's no longer a little filly. Ghendi, I felt closer to because I practically helped the poor kid and his brother. Maybe it was me longing for a sibling that those two seemed to fit the bill?

We came back to the castle and I dawned on my Fade-Away look, felt more confident as Fade Away and not a wreck like Vanishing Star. Was greeted by the guards along with passing princess Celestia herself in the hallway. A short conversation was had but my eyes wandered to mostly Celestia as I noticed she had most of her attention to Synn as he slept. Then again, I raised an eyebrow at the thought of her having to speak with Ghendi the other day. It had to be about his punishment, that or to maybe persuade him into the royal guard for his outstanding performance of beating the crap out of my brother of in front of his wife, family, fellow guards and supporters. Okay maybe that's not entirely what happened, but it felt good seeing Shining go down for once and Canterlot's modeled captain get beaten by a pony half of his age. But back to Celestia talking with us, she asked if we were enjoying our stay. Of course she asked if I was staying out of trouble, I answered only trouble I was trying to get out of is with family and wanted to make amends.

"I hope you are enjoying your stay here in Canterlot Mr. Fade Away." Celestia greeted.

"Oh yes princess." Swan smiled, "We are so honored."

"Well I'm glad." Celestia nodded, "I had scholars and inventors walk these halls many of times. Same goals as you two, some go beyond expectations while others just do what they propose." She smiled, "A lot of them have great minds, but sometimes there are ones with hearts just as big. And from what I heard about you Mr. Fade Away. I am touched. Your parents must be very proud."

My eyes wandered and I chuckled. Yeah. Parents. Which ones exactly?

"Oh indeed they are princess Celestia." I bowed in appreciation.

"No need to bow Mr. Fade Away." She chuckled.

"I do hope that you and captain Shining Armor are still not on bad terms." She frowned. Now why would I want to hold a grudge against my own brother? I told you he made my life hell if my dad was not threatening my ass, but you know his story finally had some substance to it. He had his demons and he needed help over coming them. No idea how he is doing now but whatever.

I frowned myself. "It's still a bit out there princess. And I assure you that we won't be a problem in the future."

"Very well." She blinked, "I will hold you to that then."

I nodded. We said our good days and separated. I put Synn down for his nap, Swan said she was going to take a quick nap as well and maybe finish some work she brought along. That's her alright. Either work or mingle with the doctors or inventors to discuss theories. Geez Swan you making me feel left out. Makes you wonder what would happen if she ever ran into one of the last remaining ponies that worked on the Manehatten project. But alas, she crawled next to Synn, opened up her briefcase she got out of her room and put on her reading glasses... Sexy secretary look going on there. Mmhmm... Does my perverseness scare you? Good because there's a lot of it so deal with it.

So. I pretty much had the afternoon to myself until the party started. And to know if this whole main family thing was such a big deal as dad made it out to be. I could go back and ask Celestia. But, I don't think she knows of me as Vanishing Star. Let alone if I ask her about the main family business then she might want to know why I'm so curious. I could ask grandma... But she's at the address listed tonight, I did not even see her at my old house so I guess she's finishing up business at her own place. There had to be something to this though. I actually saw panic in my own deadbeat father's eyes as I stood over him, something about panicking while spouting for their lives usually drags the truth out no matter how ridiculous or outlandish. Like in those movies where the protagonist is beating the crap out of one of the bad guys to make him squeal.

Gee talk about using my time wisely huh? Sitting in my bedroom all alone thinking about Equestrian conspiracies within royalty. I took a quick nap myself and enjoyed sleeping on this giant bed. Man it was so cozy. I laid down and relaxed, then went to sleep.

ooo

ooo

I awoke to the sound of knocking on my door. Oh man how long was I out for? I looked at my cell phone timer and it read two thirty something. Oh wow I was out for a bit. I slowly got up, still tired but went to the door and answered it. There Big Tex and Betsy stood, happy to see me and wanted to talk about something. They said they wanted to talk to me about something first. I let them inside and we sat at one of the tables inside my room, enough for four ponies to sit in.

"So... what did you two want to talk to me about?" I asked.

"Well..." Betsy blushed. "Your father and I have been thinking.."

"What your mother is trying to say." Tex chuckled, "While you and the others were out. Betsy and I have been scoping out some buildings."

"Thinking of buying property here in Canterlot?" I asked.

"Well the idea seems nice but. Your mother and I have talked it over. Son..." Tex looked at me, beamed at me with a smile. "With what you given us. We were so proud of you. As you know, Betsy and I could never really have a child of our own because of complications." Betsy took his hoof and tilted her head on his shoulder. "Since we took you in. We were thinking of adopting."

I tilted my head back to think about this. "I brought them so much joy... They wish to repeat it." If I was younger I might have been somewhat against the idea. I wanted to be an only child because of Twilight and Shining. But to Tex and Betsy, this was not fair to them. They deserved happiness.

"So did you decide on a kid yet?" I asked.

"We have been thinking of taking in two." Betsy smiled again. "A boy and a girl."

I just smiled and nodded, "Well that's great. I hope everything works out for you two so you can use that parenting you used on me to good use." I leaned forward, "Really I appreciate what you two done for me."

We talked and talked about their future plans. Tex said he might be interested in buying some property in Canterlot and open a new Big Tech headquarters because of the land available. Seemed like a good opportunity, I withheld my true opinion because of my original family here. Chances are if things do not smooth over, I don't think that Big Tech will be welcomed here if dad claims the main family are as strong as he says they are...

Why am I thinking about this too much?

"Something wrong honey?" Betsy asked. Her hoof touched mine, concerned like any mother was.

"Um..." My eyes trailed, I tried to distract myself but Big Tex could read me like a book.

"Son?" Tex grunted under his breath.

I shook my head and stood up. Turned my back to them and trotted over to the huge window for myself to open. Preparing myself to step outside, "I went to go see my family again today."

They fell silent.

"And..." I turned my head, "They want me to attend the reunion party tonight."

Both of them walked up behind me. Like loving parents they put their arms around me. Tex spoke, "I take it that it went alright?"

A gust of wind blew out of my snout along with a grunt.

"Oh honey... I'm sorry if it did not work out wit..." Betsy tried to tell me but I stopped her.

"No, no. I made peace with my mother. Shining Armor is a bit iffy, dad tried to lie his way out of a beating I gave him." I shook my head.

"A beating?" Betsy gasped. "He did not hurt you did he? Hopefully you did not put him in the hospital!"

"No but he got what he deserved." I grunted. "Should have seen him. Roles were practically reversed and I think I would have gone overboard if it were not for Synn." I looked over the edge of the terrace I propped my arms on for support.

"Don't tell me he was in the room with you fighting." Tex turned to me, I looked back at him with his eyes getting concerned.

I just sighed. "I don't know how long he was standing there."

Both of them gave me haunting looks.

"I'm sorry okay?" I growled.

"What if he got hurt?" Betsy brought up, almost like she was ready to tear my head off. "Let alone ran away? You know how sensitive he is!"

And this ladies and gentlecolts... Is where true parenting comes from.

"What's worse is that he could be put off by all of this!" Betsy really did tear me a new one.

"Well he got along with my mom pretty well." I rolled my eyes.

"She better have!" Betsy growled. "Or I'll..."

Somehow I believe Betsy could mess Velvet up in a fight.

"That won't be necessary Betsy dear." Tex placed a hoof on her shoulder. "I would have liked to beat the living daylights out of his father myself but... things have a way of sorting themselves out."

Betsy took one big breath, "I'm sorry I yelled at you like that... It's just I don't want you three boys getting hurt and falling on your faces."

"It's understandable." I assured her, "But you two should have seen them. Almost like they were trying to go on with their lives but to see the pain still in their eyes. It kind of hurt." I said, "To see them, dried up and not realize the good they had."

"Son?" Tex asked.

"Yeah dad?" I answered.

"Where ever life takes you, there is always going to regrets and mistakes to look back on." I faced him and looked him right in the eye, "Some might even come back to bite you, but... I think it's time for you to be honest with yourself. What do you want out of life?"

"What isn't there what I want?" I chuckled. "I got money, I'm practically second hoof to you and vice president, I'm doing well. I got a fiance who loves me. I got you guys."

"You don't have any regrets?" Tex asked, his face then shown concern.

"A few..." I said honestly, digging my hoof into the marble.

"Well." He sighed, "If one of them is what I think it is. Then I don't want you to carry a burden on your shoulders, don't want you to wake up one day wondering what things could have been."

He was right. I had to admit. My old family was not the best, especially my father but it did not matter. Sometimes you're born into a bad family and things turn out for the better or not. Maybe you come from a very good family then things turn sour to ruin your life. In the long run, I can't imagine my life without going the way things did. I can't look at myself now without going through my personal history about my upbringing and how Tex and his wife were my saviors. Though you can't have everything handed to you, you have to work for it like I did. I did not sit on my ass all day and give up, I tried my best to impress my parents back then to show them that even there is potential in a child who did not serve royalty. I just blame society. Unicorns are pretty stuck up here in Canterlot as I see a lot of unicorn families and couples. Pretty posh too, nice expensive tastes. I can't believe I used to live, just felt like I did not belong here despite myself being wealthy or coming from a high class family. I was so used to talking with the common pony about problems to consider, I never really thought otherwise to mingle in my own class. How boring would it be to talk to a bunch of upper class unicorns that only speak of how nonchalant their life is?

"So what are you two doing tonight?" I asked.

"Going to visit the orphanage again, shopping maybe and the princess invited us to have supper with her and some of the nobles." Tex said with please. "Oh by the way."

"Yeah?" I raised by head, curious what he meant.

"We over nighted a new arm and some parts for Ghendi from back at the office. Package was just delivered this morning while we were out." Tex raised his hoof to point back outside my door to his own room.

I smiled with joy, "Oh good. Now he won't have to wander around with three legs."

Tex chuckled, "He's a strong pony. Just need to get him into the ward to put it on and he will be set."

"Ah dad I think I can snap that thing on anytime, his is a prototype after all." I remarked. Matter of fact, I came up with an idea. Stupid as it might sound, if the main family is looking for Sparkle members to impress. Then this should be a good presentation.

"As long as you got the tools." Tex shook his head.

Later that night Swan, Ghendi, Synn and I went to the address my mother had given me. Dressed in our best clothing though nothing more than a casual suit for me, dress for Swan. I honestly don't know what or why Ghendi has a taste in tight shirts and weird jackets so I figure I'd better not ask. Synn of course was as cute as a button with his little bow tie. I brought a luggage case containing the replacement arm. To my surprise, the place was not very far from the castle, practically it was a museum owned surprisingly by one of the members of the main family. To my amazement I saw various sculptures and art that would take a professional collector eons to collect just sitting out in the open. Of course for the velvet ropes to hold ponies back. Very tall ceilings with chandeliers. Red carpets rolled out. Butlers holding plates with food and champagne on them. Very nice.

The place was packed with what I assume are other members of the Sparkle family. So as naturally I put on my playboy persona to get some attention with making talk with random ponies and a joke or two. No surprise I was instantly flung into some of the other business ponies circle and wasted no time talking what our companies do. Did not take long for Swan to join in, she had her hoof kissed as I introduced her as my fiancee and was congratulated. Ghendi and Synn just stood there, bored I assumed. I took this as an excuse to move further into the party.

Would not be too long that Shining Armor and his wife Cadence got our attention. Walked up to us and greeted us. Still a bit iffy with my brother I just put on a smile and went along with it. Cadence gave us each a hug while Shining shook our hoofs. But right around when it was Ghendi's turn to get a hug, his face turned super red and hysterical looking. Same old Ghendi.

"Say... Uh..." Shining was trying to find the right words to say to me. "About that night..."

"Let's just enjoy the night shall we?" I chuckled.

"No really I..." I interrupted him again.

"We'll talk some where privately but right now let's just enjoy ourselves." I told him again.

"So what's in the case?" Cadence took notice to the silver briefcase I had with me.

I lifted it up, "Right here. Is Ghendi's new arm, going to give a demonstration on how it works to the main family."

"Well... Good luck with impressing them then." Shining frowned quickly.

"Why is that?" Swan asked.

"I probably should not be saying this but..." Shining looked left then right, slowly he stretched his neck to say as quiet as he could, "The main family is not easy to impress."

I raised an eyebrow, "Why the secrecy?"

"Because these are the same ponies that drove dad to his breaking point back then." Shining whispered.

Just then... I heard a voice call my name. From some pony I hoped I never had to match wits with ever again. "Well... fancy seeing you here Mr. Fade Away. Congratulations winning that medal from the princess."

I turned my head around and saw a familiar blonde, stallion dressed in white... To my surprise, he was there. A business pony that could be considered even my rival... "Illusive Von Lorenzo?"