• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 4,694 Views, 219 Comments

The Vanishing Star - NocturneD85



Twilight Sparkle finds her brother that she has not seen for more than 20 years. She wants to reunite the family but then realizes it was probably not the best idea. Her brother still never forgiven the family for what they did to him years ago..

  • ...
24
 219
 4,694

Chapter 24

I was at the bar to drown my anger, disappointment, and sorrow. After what happened today. I thought I had an understanding. Some stuff was finally clearing up and more stuff lands in my lap. I drank a bit more. Thinking back to the ponies that hurt me, then again thinking about the ponies that even I hurt.

I was a dumb colt back then. Even with the good grades and recommendations I earned back then. My dad would never look at them, my mom would but only if she was not getting hammered and pretending to play it up at parties. What good that did. Even with the grades, support and my doings, I still felt dumb looking back on myself. Why? Well... You know I like to take chances and I had a lot of luck on my side.

I had no business performing surgery on my friend. I botched it because I tried to make it into a show despite Tex's and Betsy's protest. After that dumb move, I made some ponies mad at me. I could play it like it was an accident, but we knew how it went down. I downed a few "Red Pegasus" beers and it only numbed the pain.

*Sigh*

I wanted this trip to be special. To please every pony but that's just not going to happen. But then again, I did not want to go on this trip either.

*HIC*

Sorry... Another one for the bottle castle.

*HIC*

Not until an old rich chum came across me. He sat down next to me and asked me if I was alright. Maybe this was the beer talking, but I guess Illusive Lorenzo was trying to lend a sympathetic ear. After what I spied on him doing, I still felt sick around him. He tried to debate the princess to believe that he found a nectar or possibly a cure for diseases. But all I see, are two gorgeous folded wings jutting out from his back. He ordered a scotch and played it cool. Calm as always. Rather ironic too. Years ago, he was in a similar situation that I managed to tangle myself in. Had doubters. Ponies disappointed in me.

There he was. I told him some stuff. Then I asked him how his ascension went. I trusted Celestia to give protection to my family just incase something happened. This beautiful freak of nature sitting next to me just gives me the creeps but yet does not present himself as an egotistical mad pony. He told me he went through many trials to prove that he was worthy. The system... Failed. I don't know what test princess Celestia gave him, I'm sure she laid it on him but still managed to pass. Get ready Equestria... A new alicorn has risen...

"Bartender?" The brown stallion moaned as he lay his chin onto the bar table. "Another beer please." Drool seeped from his mouth and spread lazily across the fine wood.

"Sir." The female bartender was in the middle of cleaning a beer mug. She kept count on how many the brown stallion drank, "I think you had one too many."

"Nah..." Fade Away gave a drunk chuckle, "Toots, please hook me up."

"Sir. Please." The bartender rolled her eyes. She seen types like him before and it gets old pretty quick. She dealt with many of his types before.

"Say.." Fade chuckled, "What's your name?"

"It's Draft." The tender frowned. "Now please sir. You had enough." She then looked at the white-winged stallion next to him. "Can you take him to his room?"

Lorenzo gave a deep sigh then nodded his head. "Sure ma'am. I apologize for my friend here. He's like this sometimes."

"I r... not..." Fade hiccuped as he tried to defend his honor.

"Again I apologize." Then white-winged stallion pulled out his wallet then laid some bits on the counter. The coins clanged and spun around until they finally fell over. Lorenzo then let Fade prop himself up against him. His newly formed wing soothed the brown stallion as they walked outside of the bar. "Whole world is falling apart huh?"

The brown stallion hiccuped again, "...F the world..."

"You don't mean that." Lorenzo chuckled. Like he knew Fade was kidding.

"I m-mean it..." Fade gave a drunk giggle.

"Fade...?" Lorenzo asked, "You were adopted right?"

"Mmhmmm.." Fade groaned. "W-why? I mus-must have told you that a few times."

The two stallions took another turn down an identical hallway. Lorenzo spent the next few minutes, quiet as he could be. Never answered Fade Away's question of being adopted. Even being drunk as a skunk, the brown stallion did not like the silence. He gave a couple of loose shakes and groan.

The white alicorn sighed, "Sometimes you can not forget certain things in your life." Lorenzo maneuvered his wing tighter around the brown stallion for guidance then made another turn. "I sure as hell know I can't."

The brown stallion gurgled, "Wh-why's that?"

"Well Mr. Fade Away..." Lorenzo frowned.

"Nah... Don't call me mister... it's annoying." Fade chuckled then let out a loud belch. "E-excuse me."

The male alicorn chuckled at the unpleasant noise, "Alright Fade Away, I will drop the formality if you do not like it."

"Tha-that's great." Fade gave another a drunk giggle. "So... what was you wanted to say?"

"Well... I never told any pony this but... I was yet... also adopted." The white alicorn sadly frowned. "My original family gave me away. At least from what I remembered."

"That's..." Fade hiccuped, "That's despicable."

"Yeah..." Lorenzo frowned, "I had a twin too."

Fade stopped giggling then let his eyes widen, "You're kidding?"

Lorenzo shook his head slowly, "Never understood why they did it. All I remember is that I was never allowed to see them ever again after that point."

"Do you miss them?" Fade asked groggily.

"I barely remember what they look like anymore. If anything, I miss my other half more but with my current parents and little brother, I'm happy." Lorenzo sighed sadly, "I'm telling you this with my up most confidence by the way. I miss my brother if anything. Always had that incomplete feeling in your life. Ever have that?"

Fade only hiccuped in response.

"You're pretty hammered anyway to remember this." Lorenzo sighed, "Are you having a good time in Canterlot?"

"N-not really." Fade answered. "I really... Just want to go home and forget everything."

"Not really the Canterlot type huh?" Lorenzo nodded, "I do not blame you. You either tolerate the hypocrisy that goes around here or live out there and try to be as free as you can. Let your wings take you away from all of this."

Let your wings take you away from all of this...

How much I held onto the thought of leaving my horrible life behind and just want to go out into the world. Free from my father's judgment and abuse. Free from my mother's uncaring. Free from my brother's harassment. I just wanted to go home. Not to Canterlot, but back to good old Philly. I gave up being Vanishing Star a long time ago.

I just wanted to go home... Lay in my bed and go to sleep. Wake up the next day to go back to work and enjoy working. I never felt more alive until Tex and Betsy picked me up to live with them. Why do these things happen? A good couple wants to have children but can not because of some set backs but meanwhile an uncaring couple can have as many kids as they want? What kind of stupid world do we live in?

I just wanted to go home... To my house, to sit on my couch and enjoy a drink. Not to find out about a family conspiracy that is trying to prove my family's innocence. I can care less about them and what they ever do anymore. They seem to be doing fine once Shining Asshat married a super model of a princess that is also ruling over the Crystal kingdom. Also rumors of my sister somehow joining royalty itself, tell me how that's not helping pull my scum bag dad out of the frying pan? Screw them, they were doing fine without me.

I just wanted to go home... Just to ignore the rest of the week and go back home. That is where my real paradise is. I had friends who liked me. Employees who respected me. The community was always eager to give ideas. The sun was always shining and the moon was always glowing. The city lights were like fireflies. Every pony was a character, each of their own they had a personality instead of all these rich generic ponies here.

Lorenzo escorted me back to my room and actually turned to be a nice guy. He seemed a lot more different before he took Celestia's test, maybe she knocked some sense into him? I do not know anymore. Things went upside down ever since I came back here. Swan was in the room when I got back, to her surprise with Lorenzo helping me back into the joint. I just sat on the edge of the bed. Ready to fall over and hit that nice marble floor with my face. Lorenzo bid us a good night and left. Sadness and guilt reeked from his aura.

Swan was not too happy with me. No surprise either. She nagged me so much how she was wanting to take this trip and meet the nobles. More I think about it, that's pretty much all she does is introduce herself to these important ponies and tries to wow them. Not that she does not have an interesting job but it's been like that. Hell she went crazy like a fan girl to my mother.

"Fade what is wrong with you lately?" Swan tapped her hoof steadily onto the floor waiting for a reply.

"You were there." Fade grunted.

"Yeah I was there but all you been lately have been a jackass and a spoiled child. I did nothing but support you through this entire trip." Swan explained by waving her hoof in front of the brown stallions face. "And all you did was moan. Or tried to even ruin a good evening!"

"Maybe I wanted a damn drink after a hard day!" Fade growled.

"Do not take that tone with me!" Swan shouted.

Fade Away tried to hold in a belch but it barely did any good. "Excuse me... Is it because we were not spending anytime with each other?"

"Maybe! Maybe not!" Swan grunted, "Everything we try to do together has been subpar lately! And I practically have to beg you to take me somewhere interesting!"

"Come on. I took you to my grandma's house. You had fun there unti-until that." Fade raised his hoof.

"And an interesting place that was." Swan nodded, "I just wished you would have invited me with no second thought." The white pegasus frowned, "We're supposed to be a couple. Not me being your assistant all the time while I hang back in the office. This is not work!"

"Is...Is this what it's about?" Fade felt like jello. Fluttering back and forth while still sitting upright on the bed.

"It's... also the baby." Swan sighed sadly as she sat on the bed next to the brown stallion. Sitting upright to show her stomach. "I do not want the father being dishonest to himself."

I put my hoof to her stomach. Usually it's fun when the pregnancy is further along but if anything. I could feel the magic of sudden joy. I forgot everything. I was so busy going on about myself and how much my childhood sucked... I completely forgot the one thing that truly mattered. Family...

I apologized for being so inconsiderate. But I still stand on some of my views. I really had enough of this place. So, I tried sleeping it off. I kept having weird dreams and every time it got too unbearable I would wake up. Sounded like a voice, female to be exact. Telling me to... telling me... Well I do not wish to repeat them. Every time I woke up, I would look around the room to see if something was on like a radio or a phone that sounded like a female voice. I turned to Swan who was sleeping like an angel as always. Morning eventually came. Once I opened my eyes, that feeling of dread was still there. I overheard my fiance dressing herself and eventually came to my bedside.

"Honey?" Swan peered down as she brushed some of the brown stallions mane away.

"Urg..." Fade moaned.

"Did you not sleep well?" Swan then brushed his cheek.

Fade shook his head.

"No?" Swan slowly frowned. Then felt his forehead, "Well you do seem like your burning up."

"I'll be u-up." Fade groaned.

"No-No honey you stay down. You did drink a lot last night and... Well it was bound to give you a hangover of some sort." Swan pulled the bed sheet higher to tuck her fiance. "I figured there was not much going to go on today anyway after that little stunt."

"You want to go out today didn't you?" Fade coughed.

"Guilty." Swan nodded, "But if spending today together with you being sick is going to count. Well... Why not? I can order us up some soup and maybe read to you."

"No work?" Fade groaned.

"No work honey. Besides I finished it earlier and sent it back for the team to read over." Swan smirked while still rubbing Fade's cheek lovingly. "Is there anything you want?"

"I... kind of want to just go home really." Fade moaned a little.

Swan only shook her head. "You know what. This trip really did take it out of us, you mostly."

"I'm sorry, especially after the talk you gave me last night." Fade frowned.

"It's fine. I should have listened that you were not feeling well enough to come back." Swan kissed the brown stallion on the cheek.

"I'll bring you back next month for our honeymoon. I swear." Fade then coughed.

"Actually..." Swan frowned, "If this place is not making you comfortable then I do not see the need of coming back. Every pony besides your mom and the princesses here are boring anyway."

"I do not want to ruin your fun." Fade apologized then proceeded to cough.

Just then Fade's cell phone rang. He motioned Swan to answer it, "Hello?" She nodded, "This is Swan Song yes... What?" She then frowned, "An offer? An offer from who?"

Fade raised an eyebrow, "What?"

Swan continued to converse, "Look I can see why other investors would like to own some of our stock but to get an offer that big? No, I don't know who this Sirius is. If anything you're better off talking to Big Tex about this. Okay. I will pass on the message to them both." She pressed the end call button.

Fade only narrowed his eyes, "What was that?"

Swan set her eyes on Fade's. She sighed, "Some pony here in Canterlot wants to merge with our company."

"Normally I would laugh but after hearing a certain name I do not want to give the pony a chance." Fade grunted.

"So have you and this Sirius met before?" Swan raised an eyebrow.

"More or less..." Fade Away growled, "Sirius was the reason my childhood was so horrible."

My eyes started to hurt again... I got up from bed but Swan protested me to lay back down. She phoned Tex to see if he heard the news or had any idea. Problem was, Tex could not be reached on his phone. Swan asked for the guards to check on his room only to come back with a confused look.

"What's wrong?" Fade asked.

"Betsy and Tex are not in their rooms." Swan frowned.

"They must have went somewhere then." Fade moaned as he turned over onto his pillow. "What about Synn?"

"Um..." Swan mumbled.

"He went with them huh?" Fade moaned.

"Actually... Shining Armor and Cadence stopped by to talk to him." Swan smiled.

"About what?" Fade frowned.

"Well..." Swan rubbed the back of her head. "I don't know what but they wondered if it was okay that he spent the day with them."

...

"And you let them?" Fade asked.

"Um. Yes. Why?" Swan asked with her eyes narrowed. "This is not about you still hating your brother is it?"

"Where'd they go?" Fade growled.

"Wh-why?" Swan hesitated to ask.

"JUST TELL ME!" Fade shouted.

"At the park because its ice cream day and maybe to your parents house." Swan took a step back while worried. "Why?"

I jumped out of bed and ran out as fast I could. I did not care if I was sick. My brother is not the problem, it's who he is now aligned with that is the problem. He gave the keys to his kingdom to some Illuminati inspired clan, and with a manipulative ass like Sirius in charge. I might have guessed that he still is anti-Kirin, if he were to find out Synn is a half-breed and did something to him. I would never forgive myself, let alone Ghendi. There is just no way that my brother is that stupid. Maybe I'm worrying too much. Did any pony even know that Synn was a half-breed besides Swan, Tex, Betsy, Ghendi and myself? Gah... The magic fire beam technique is kind of rare and Synn is pretty responsible not to go around showing it off.

Oh... Celestia please...

I ran through the park and like what Swan said, it was ice cream day. The place packed with parents and children eating ice cream and enjoying themselves. And then there's me looking high and low for a small white unicorn with blue hair. Calling for him like I lost him. Worry washed over me. I must have asked over a dozen grown ponies if they seen a small white unicorn.

"Excuse me ma'am have you seen a little white unicorn with blue hair and cutie mark with two knives?" Fade asked a moody mare with twelve foals crying around her hooves.

"No mister I got problems of my own." The mare grunted.

Fade then asked another mare with two colts pigging out on sundae cones, "Excuse me ma'am have you seen a small white unicorn colt with blue hair and has two knives for a cutie mark?"

"No sorry." The mare shook her head.

Then the idea struck him, "Have you seen prince Shining Armor and princess Mi Amore Cadenza?"

The mare smirked, "Who hasn't? They practically started this event for charity."

Fade nodded, "I'm sorry ma'am but I really need to find this colt and I heard he was with them."

"Oh." The mare nodded, "Sure I think Cadence and Shining Armor are probably by the pond area next to the podiums where they made a speech." She pointed.

"Hey you're that Fade Away fellow aren't you?" Some ponies called out, "Hold on! Can we have autographs!" Fade ignored them and continued to run.

"Thank you!" Fade raced over and swerved to avoid the busy crowd. "Pardon me! Thank you!" His stomach started to boil and churn, "Oh Luna please not now."

Another agonizing minute of running and trying to keep my stomach calm while trying to find Synn. I must have checked over a dozen places in this stupid huge park and came out with nothing. I hope they did not decide to leave and go to my parents' house while I run around like an idiot.

And that's when I found them. Barely with a crowd around them as I figured they requested to be alone. Just them, the little purple dragon; Spike and from what I guess three little fillies from a couple of nights before, what were their names? Apple Boom? Sweetie Pie? Whatever they were, they were sitting on a park bench, eating ice cream. While I just sat behind a bush spying on them. I must have been paranoid for nothing. But I just could not let my guard down. I do not wish for things to repeat to Synn like I was when I was a kid, or worse.

So I just sat there...

Just watching them... being... happy...

Being... happy.. like a family...

Happy...

*Sniff*

Many ponies passed by to greet the princess and prince along with saying how cute the children were. Each one ranging from lower class to nobles. Some stared at Synn and complimented how adorable he was. And for some reason thought he could pass off for Shining Armor's son because they had the same color scheme. More I think about it. It was kind of... cute. Seeing how messed up my brother's life when he was younger, now turn into the noble knight ponies come to admire him as.

*Sigh*

More ponies passed by to say hello. Then I finally saw Orion and Velvet walk up to them, said whatever wanted and seated next to the children. Again being happy. More ponies passed by, some of them just kept walking once they noticed my parents. Guess they could never forget that day a long time ago about them losing a child in the desert. Others still talked to them to see how they were. Some of them I remembered from the party a few nights ago.

*Sigh*

This makes me think I should go back and grab Swan...

"A mighty fine day I must say."

My eyes narrowed to the new pony that walked up to my brother and parents. A well dressed dark reddish unicorn with a dark long swayed mane greased back. Wore fine gold-rimmed glasses, not perfectly angled with his eyes. Very tall he appeared. Strong neck muscles and a fine trimmed jaw line. Damn this pony must have been a linebacker or quarterback for hoofball. He did not speak with a high-class Canterlot accent, but with a gruff tone.

"Hello Headmaster Sirius." My brother nodded, but did not stand up to shake his hoof.

Fade growled lowly, "So you're Sirius..."

"Your highness" Sirius bowed in courtesy.

"What brings you out here Headmaster?" Cadence asked. Then her attention turned to Sweetie Belle accidentally dropping one of the scoops of her cone onto herself. "Oh dear..."

"To take a stroll around the park. Get some ice cream while I wait for a client." Sirius then raised himself back up again. Then he turned his attention to Orion and Velvet, who tried to look away. "I take it that the years treated you two nicely?" The Sparkle parents refused to even acknowledge the new visitor. "Well hello to you too then..."

It would not be long until Tex and Betsy showed up. As figured, this is probably what Sirius was talking about. Sirius being what I suppose a proper business pony greets Tex with a firm hoof shake and thanks for coming. Strange how this is happening in front of my brother and real parents. Sirius did not take long getting to the point, he mentioned he watched my presentations a year back about my inventions and said he was impressed with them. And since he heard I was in Canterlot, he would wonder if we were interested in a partnership. Sirius went on for awhile but Tex kept his head in the game.

"Well that's a mighty fine offer Headmaster Sirius but..." Tex looked at his wife then back to Sirius, "I'm not interested in a merger just yet. My company is doing fine."

"And that it is. You really paved the way for the future the Sparkle clan can benefit fro..." Sirius tried to explain.

"Like I said, not interested right now." Tex stood firmly. "I'm sure the Sparkle clan is doing well enough to continue its politics without us."

"But if you would just let me ex..." Sirius was cut off again.

"I'm sorry. But I have some pony in mind to take over after I retire. He's the one who made us and I think he's the one who has the right to lead." Tex explained sternly. "And I appreciate it if you stop trying to talk your way around it. I apologize for my rudeness, but I have plans. Now if you want to exchange business cards, then I would be happy to." Tex reached from inside his shirt pocket and pulled out a white card. The two business ponies exchanged business cards.

I am squealing in my head for joy that Tex had some sense in his head. But strangely, Sirius did not leave while Betsy and Tex saw Synn and decided to sit with him. Sirius then asked for some private time with my brother and his wife. He requested the two follow him to his office to discuss matters about the council seats at the Crystal empire.

So I decided to play detective and... follow them while cloaking myself. I was not going to let this go, I might have been hard on my brother but still a part of me wants to slap the sense into him.

"Um... Headmaster Sirius, I..." Cadence tried to say before stepping into the stagecoach to escort her and her husband to the ideal location to discuss business.

"Yes, your highness?" Sirius arched his strong neck to look at the princess and her spouse.

"Shining Armor and I were thinking about the offer we laid on the table the other night." The pink alicorn started to rub her shoulder with her other hoof.

"I take it that you're having second thoughts? Is that it?" Sirius turned his strong body all the way around to face to two.

"Well..." Cadence tried to speak up. Shining Armor only turned his head in frustration.

"Fear not my dear. My associates and I will go over the plans to make sure that things will go absolute. And your kingdom will grow stronger." Sirius gave an assuring smile.

Celestia that smile made me want to punch him in the face...

Author's Note:

Well there's not really much to say on this chapter other than maybe filler again.

-No I did not cop out on the Lorenzo part. He will stay play a part in the story, or sequel.
-Yes I'm building up the Sirius character.
-Yes I'm going to go back and fix up some chapters to built them better.

If anyone has some suggestions for plot ideas, please write in the comment box. Pretty soon this story is going to go through some changes with some edits and rewrites. I probably should concentrate on those instead but I do no want to lose my buzz.