• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 4,695 Views, 219 Comments

The Vanishing Star - NocturneD85



Twilight Sparkle finds her brother that she has not seen for more than 20 years. She wants to reunite the family but then realizes it was probably not the best idea. Her brother still never forgiven the family for what they did to him years ago..

  • ...
24
 219
 4,695

Chapter 20

Another sudden ache in my eyes erupted jolted face towards the floor while I grunted. It was getting pretty bad. Oh man what the hell brought this on so suddenly? The pain shot up from the side of my head and into the back like I smacked it into something. I can't be running a fever could I? Maybe a migraine? No, it had to be the stress from this morning.

Not too long ago I decided to pay respects to my grandmother, basically who was my second mother when I was little. I, along with Swan who insisted on coming and claimed that on this entire trip I was putting her in the corner. And was putting myself over everything else. I wanted to stop and digest that for a second. My fiance, whom has been very supportive up until now complains that I'm not paying attention to her. Don't get me wrong every pony, this entire trip was one giant cluster buck. What happened to just accepting my award, have fun and just leaving with some dignity? No, none of that actually happened. Even with my award I still don't feel like I deserve it compared to the other inventors who tried to better their work ages before I came along and got lucky with finding a compound that would help. Then there's the dinner banquet, then the family reunion party, then the fight in front of the princess.

*sigh*

Why am I even here again? I should have just been a real dick and told Twilight to shove her generosity up her ass and leave me alone. Grr... Why would even want to say that anyway?

At the door I was greeted by my grandparent's old butler, Mr. Pennyworth. The years were not very kind to him but he was still in somewhat fit shape. Surprised he was even still working for her. Let alone, grandma living in this huge house. Still in his fancy butler outfit, he was dressed to serve and be loyal. He introduced himself as Reginald T. Pennyworth, very distinct and proper even after all these years.

Of course, it would not be a complete visit without the whole... "Please wipe your hooves on the mat before stepping in." That always annoyed me when I was a kid. With my eyes rolling, I did what he said. Wipe. Wipe. Wipe. Then went inside, Swan did the same. If he was going to make little Synn do it as well I swear... You know what what. Screw it. The two guards Zack and Tidus; as well wiped their hooves to remain respectful then followed.

"Oh I love the interior." Swan let her eyes gaze upon my second childhood home. Every detail, every nook and cranny as we walked through the familiar hallway. I gave a good refreshing look myself, not much has changed. Always felt bright and welcoming in this house.

"Thank you madam." Pennyworth kept his professional tone, "Doctor Sparkle and the late Sir Draco always had bright tastes." I know. Practically it shined. The white wall paper with blue trim. Photographs from history's past hanged delicately across the walls. Most of them were family and of accomplishments. Some of them were indeed familiar as I froze to look at one of them.

There... Was the picture of me getting second place at the science fair, same time when my family was supposed to be at but Shining Armor had a game that was important for the entire family to go to. I was somewhat happy in the picture. Still in my normal form, blue coat, blue mane. I held the red ribbon with pride, as much as my feelings would let me. Only pony that came out to support me was... actually Pennyworth believe it or not. As much as a stuck up formal pony can get, he did show me some support and gave me a congratulations. He took the picture for my grandmother to frame it.

There were many more I wanted to look over. Hell I wanted to see the ones that were not associated with myself but that was going to have to wait. Slowly without bringing too much noise as the marble floor below me pressed against my hooves, I caught up to Swan and Pennyworth.

"Dr. Lucrecia is in middle of a teaching session with a few students but she was considering a half day anyway." Pennyworth explained. "She gets students from all ages who need to learn basic magic. Some ages ranging from four years to the eldest of sixty five."

"Sixty five?" Swan asked.

"Yes some unicorns never had the opportunity to learn proper magic when growing up due to the economy of some families and towns. Some towns that the students grew up in forbid magic uses." Pennyworth explained as we pressed on.

"Why the hay would magic be forbidden in some towns?" I asked.

"Language Mr. Fade Away..." Pennyworth warned me. Typical, same old Pennyworth. "Xenophobia mostly. A bit of racism and slavery."

"How awful." Swan gasped.

"Yes quite." Pennyworth added.

Another couple of corners and turns later. We approached a familiar room. The study hall where my grandma mostly taught her students and had her sessions. Pennyworth knocked on the door. "Doctor Lucrecia?"

I heard talking from the other side of the large red oak door. Then a brief pause ensued after I assume an older mare wanted the younger voices inside to quiet down with a hushing sound. The elder mare's voice called from behind the door, "Yes Reginald?"

"I'm sorry to disturb your lesson plan but a Mr. Fade Away would like to meet with you." Pennyworth said. Still standing straight, still formal, still like a proper gentle colt. "If its not an appropriate time I could entertain them until you're free."

I heard gasps from the other side of the door. Some from children I suppose, others from the sounds of it teens. The old mare from behind the door answered, "It's alright. Send him in."

Pennyworth opened the door and let it slide widely into the new surrounding. The butler stepped forward to go in first, figured I'd let him as I forgot most his shabby proper rules of being a gentle colt back then. He bowed to honor my presence but I snagged this chance to get a look around the old teaching room. Still the same after all these years. The comfortable surrounding. Fancy chairs and desks to sit in. Occupied by unicorns from young as I figured six years old to as old as fourteen. Then for some reason a few earth-ponies and a pegasus. I never questioned it, grandma always loved teaching to any pony who asks for it as she was a tutor as well. But still, I guess they're willing to learn of what makes a unicorn the sage of the three races.

I looked at the old mare. She looked at me. Still like she was a few days ago. From what I remembered she was like in a strong mare leaving her prime to move onto the next stage of her life. Being old... like she is now. And it pains me to look at her while she looks at me, I was growing up and growing older. She was too... Older...Slower... Pretty soon she was going to have to retire, or worse yet... She might pass away someday doing what she loved to the point it pains me to think anymore about it.

"Mr. Fade Away, oh a pleasure of you stopping by." My grandma smiled. Charming old mare she was. She stepped forward to get a closer look at me. "I trust that you remembered the directions to get here."

How could I not? I smiled and then gave a simple chuckle, "Well its been awhile but it's all starting to come back to me doctor Lucrecia."

My grandmother turned her attention towards her students after giving me a warm nod. "My students, this is Fade Away of Big Tech industries. I'm sure you all know what he is famous for." The students put on the biggest smiles ever, like Santa Hooves just entered the room. Guess the big silver case I was carrying did not help turn down the idea.

"Yeah." One of them said.

"Mmhmm." Another one commented.

"I got all your devices!" A very energetic teen stood up like a school girl. Matter off fact, it was a school girl.

"My device won't stop constantly updating." Another pony brought up. Yeah one of our flaws in our devices, new updates come out every week or so to get rid of crashes and glitches. If the updates do not cause the crash in the first place.

"Now class. Mr. Fade Away did not come all the way here to listen to praise and complaints." My grandma interjected. Would not mind it a bit more though.

"Well, I came today to show you doctor about my prosthetic and how its assembled on." I explained as I held up the silver case. "Did uh... Did a pony named Ghendi arrive yet?"

My grandmother blinked then shook her head, "Oh no. Not any pony of that name arrived yet."

"Huh..." I blinked as well, "I called him and told him the address, might still be with Twilight or got held up at the market place." I pulled out my phone to find a text, just so happens to be from him about ten minutes ago.

-Sorry had 2 ax 4 directions-

-G

I frowned then typed in, I'm sure he had GPS on his phone or... Never installed it like I asked him to a million times before.

-Itz kool-

-FA


*BEEP*

Another text from him? I opened it up.

-Is it ok that sum ponys tag along?-

-G

-Like Who?-

-FA

*BEEP*

-Twi's friends+family?-

-G

My face sunk. You got to be kidding me. I gave another grunt while my grandmother looked on. She asked, "Anything wrong?"

I shook my head slightly, "Oh... Would it be alright that Twilight bring her friends and family?"

My grandma paused for maybe a goof five seconds. Another blink crossed her eyes, then she nodded. She must have had a thousand things gong through her mind. From Ghendi's message, I did not know who he might have been referencing to when he meant family. I sure as hell hope he does not mean Shining Armor or my dad, but knowing how cruel fate has been lately. I swear, if I have to put him with my brother's mouth I was going to pop him in there again.

"Its fine Fade Away. Hopefully we can take the time to clear the air finally." My grandmother nodded again but this time in approval. I don't know how it went down between my father and her back then. If she was willing to say her approval, then I guess I can learn something from it.

"You don't mind at all?" I asked again. "I mean I could tell him no."

"Fade Away I think it would be rude to tell him no after he went through the trouble." My grandma smirked at me in approval. "I don't mind extra company over. After all, its just family and friends. A little get together."

I frowned, "I guess. Really was not planning on having much of an audience so I could demonstrate the procedure." I held up the briefcase in front of her, "A quick one too. I really just planned it just being me, you and Ghendi..."

I heard a sudden grunt. I rolled my eyes because I knew it came from Swan, "And Swan along with Synn here..." He must have fallen asleep again and... well he needed the sleep. He's still a growing colt.

My grandmother stretched her view over the case to look at the little colt resting on my fiancee's back. "Oh..." With sudden adoration, she let a charmed smile grow within her lips. "What a little darling he is."

Swan nodded in agreement. Her neck craned back, "A sweetie pie. Just got his cutie mark the other day."

"He is precious." My grandmother extended her hoof to comb over Synn's blue mane. She looked back at me, "Looks just about the same age you were when I last saw you."

I nodded, "Yeah..." My eyes wandered. It was pretty idealistic that is what both my grandma and own mother would think. I was around his age once I got fed up this family and left. Still pains me to even think. Then I looked at her students, some of them were no older than I was when my grandma started teaching me. "Um... Doctor Lucrecia?"

My grandma turned around, "Oh right. Right. Class dismissed."

Some of the students moaned, "Aww... I wanted to watch Mr. Fade Away stick the leg back on."

Another one moaned, "I wanted to asked him if he could look at my phone."

"Now, now my students. I don't want to push things on Mr. Fade Away if he doesn't want a..."

"No. No it's fine. The procedure should not contain any blood or anything." I smirked.

"Well..." My grandma clapped her hooves, "If you don't mind then and if the kids don't have anywhere to go this afternoon." The students approved by cheering. I was amazed, they actually wanted to see my work. Want to gander at what a successful pony can do that was a former student of the great and powerful Lucrecia.

"I take that as a yes then?" I asked.

"Reginald!" My grandmother called, "We're going to have more guests arriving."

The butler poked his head in, "Shall I send the other staff out to get supplies for appetizers?"

"Mmm... Sure. My students will be staying as well so get enough for about thirty ponies." My grandmother ordered.

So after some mingling with the students. Playing around with their cell phones to show them tricks and how to fix a few problems here and there. Answered some questions, looked at what they made. Heard their stories. I finally got to sit down alone with my grandmother while Swan occupied herself by looking at all of the items in the museum. Probably should have called it that from the start but oh well. Synn was still with her but was more awake this time as the students joined them as well to show them all the neat stuff grandma and grandpa collected over the years. Never ceases to amaze me.

I checked if there were anymore messages from Ghendi after I text him to go ahead. That ten minutes ago, now I wondered what could have happened to him. I just had this uneasy feeling that something might have delayed him, not just a simple thing like helping an old mare cross the street but... Something like he might have been stopped and could not use his phone. Er... Maybe I was over thinking this? My grandmother made me follow her to a familiar room, the study upstairs with the round window like I described earlier. A nice warm temperature flowed through the room, made it almost perfect. I had a lot of good times in this room. Where my grandparents would sit me down on the floor and tell me all about their adventures.

Reginald Pennyworth made one last trip upstairs to check on us. He delivered tea and some medication for my grandmother. Other than that he said he'll check back up on us in short time. But I had my chance here. A chance to ask my grandmother. What was going on here?

But she started first, "So... Van." She sipped her tea then set the tea cup back down to her coaster with her magic. "What has grandma's favorite student been up to the past twenty years?"

Seemed rather plain to ask, but oh well. "Well grandma." I took a deep breath and smirked, "For the past twenty years I lived with Big Tex and his wife Betsy who both raised me. Encouraged me to go for my dreams and embraced my decisions. They have been with me every step of the way during my childhood. I attended a private school then played hoof ball, won championship against Canterlot."

My grandmother chuckled, "Oh yes. Canterlot was very sore about that loss."

"I bet." I chuckled. "I was familiar with Swan Song during private school but we never really talked much. Okay not at all really."

Lucrecia chuckled, "And you two are somehow together?"

I smirked, "Yeah funny how fate works that way huh?" I nodded, "So after that I attended college and did a little adventuring during my breaks. Though one year I got myself into quite a mess with the Saddle Arabian embassy... I uh..." I twitched.

"Yes..." She raised her cup and sipped. Then slowly peeled it away from her and said with a dull expression, "That was quite a mess between relations. I'm just glad you were not killed."

"Trust me, that was the scarcest thing I ever had to experience. I was held down at gunpoint and was screamed at." I tried to recall. Flashbacks tried to pull me back into that terrible night where I almost bought the farm. "But with... planning from Lorenzo's behalf we all made it out. Wish to never ever live another night like that ever again."

My grandmother set her cup back down. Her gaze met mine, seriousness took over. She got out slowly from her chair, made her way to my side and then hugged me. My head rested under her chin as she patted me on the back. It was no surprise, but it was welcomed.

She let out a slight heave, almost like she was about to cry, "I'm just glad you are not dead." And if I was, the whole idea of young Vanishing Star being dead would be somewhat true. Not like any pony needed to know certain events because I gave up that name a long time ago. I helped my grandmother back to her seat, she was still fit and move but with age its catching up to her. So I continued with my story.

"So after that fiasco I stepped up and started inventing for Big Tech. I really had to show my talent there because I started at the bottom and worked my way up to the research and development." I explained, "How I got my ideas for inventions was not easy and it took awhile to come to conclusions. So for ideas, I went out and took a stroll around the city I'm currently living in and came across two foals who wanted to learn magic but could not. Sad that some unicorn children don't have help from their parents to learn how to begin or even get into the gifted schools. When I saw how robbed some unicorns were these days when learning magic, I was upset that they could not have the same education because of their school system."

I summoned a bit of my levitation magic and fished out the magic journals I borrowed so long ago from my jacket. I laid them down in front of my grandmother, back to their rightful owner. As a kid I would always borrow some of my grandmother's books, or sometimes sneak them out of her sight on the ones she told me I was not ready yet to see. Yeah... I... kind of took them without her permission before I disappeared, but back then those were the only things keeping me from being homesick. I would read them time and time again whenever I wanted to see my grandmother, but would feel ill about the negatives if I just showed up again in Canterlot.

She lifted the books with her own magic, I must have took a good amount of them but somehow I knew she was grateful to see them again. "I have not seen these in so many years." Her magic laid them back down on the table, "But I guess it would not hurt to let you know."

"Let me know what?" I asked.

A sigh escaped her lungs. "When your grandfather and I made our wills, we were going to be leaving a lot of our treasures to our children, grandchildren, and friends. For my children it would be money or whatever possessions they would like. We have a lot of things invested all over Canterlot and then some. For my grandchildren, same thing... But..."

"Yes?" I asked.

"Since you and your siblings have proved to be very successful. With Shining Armor becoming a captain then a prince, while your sister a successor I don't really know what could match their magnitude of giving them. Before your grandfather died, he promised to leave some things but made me swear to hold onto it until it feels like a good time to do so." My grandmother explained, "Shining Armor wanted the weapon and armor collection, Twilight with various spell books and reading material. But you... I found you to be one of my best students and took vast pride in your education, I wanted you to be happy and have something to fall back on but I'll completely understand if you would reject it."

"And what would that be?" I asked.

"I was primping you to become my successor..." She sighed, "And I want you to have this house."

I froze. "Your home?"

With a proud smile, she nodded, "Yes my home. Every time you walked through the front door, my day would brighten just see your face. You loved coming here every weekend that we set you up your own room. Among other things, I would find it fitting that you honor it by taking care of it after I pass on. I also want to leave some material for you to enjoy, something I want to leave exclusively to you and not Twilight."

This was unexpected. I had so much fun in this house when I was a kid, it would be fitting.

A smile crossed my lips, "That's... That... I would like that honestly grandma... But..."

"Say no more." She could read my like a book. "I understand you are still feeling conflicted being back here after so many years."

"Yeah I... Really did not want to even stay here that long." I frowned. "Don't get me wrong, it's great seeing you again of course. I just do not like being here in Canterlot after learning a few disturbing things."

She nodded, slowly at first as she sat there. Sipping her tea, "I do not blame you for thinking that. It really takes guts to even come back and that, I can see you have."

I fiddled with my tea cup. Letting the tea splash from side to side within the cup for my own little amusement. "I think I still should have refused..."

"You're feeling modest I take it?" She asked.

"No... I feel like I should have just told Twilight to go home once she found me out." I paused, "That or deny that I am Vanishing Star."

My grandmother narrowed her eyes, "You could but, how would you think that would have made her feel? To finally find a missing brother for twenty years to only have him deny and reject her?"

"I... I wouldn't know. Then again, I don't even know how she even got the idea I was her brother before I finally told her my story." I confessed. "It was supposed to be an interview because she was the winner of finding the special tablet my company makes. She asked me some questions first but then they started to get a bit personal." I shook my head, "You should have seen her when she came in. She was determined and wanted to learn a bit about me... Then well... because of what I said... I'm here now. Talk about a huge coincidence." Then I pondered to myself. A bit of a coincidence huh? That Twilight Sparkle, the student of Princess Celestia and sister-in-law to royalty somehow won the tablet contest? I knew the chances were random but damn, that was something.

"Yes... A coincidence." My grandma nodded then sipped more of her tea.

This time I narrowed my eyes, "What do you mean?"

"Honey..." Grandma put her tea cup back down. "There is a reason why your sister won. Now before I continue... You have to realize why..."

"I'm not going to like this am I?" I asked, she nodded. I held onto the chair rest as hard as I could and prepared for the worst.

"Twilight only won because I used your Kirin friend; Ghendi to fix the contest." She said.

...

...

...

What the buck?!

Author's Note:

Now Lucrecia and Ghendi are playing a hand in this? Unexpected huh? Going to need some honesty here.



Well, I actually wanted something to foreshadow and bring some elements back from the first couple of chapters. This chapter was supposed to be a bit longer but sometimes longer chapters are not on everyone's fancy and sometimes they don't get the type of response I'm looking for. For example, one time I did a 20 page chapter and did not get one comment about it. So, I kind of decided to limit myself of a minimum of 4 pages to a maximum of 13 pages for my stories. Also, whenever I write about 13 pages worth of material I'm on a roll and just keep going but remembering my own little rule I try to find a good place to cut off to continue the next chapter. Probably why some chapters come out faster than others. Cheap I know, but it keeps me going.