• Published 9th Sep 2023
  • 4,037 Views, 170 Comments

Data Lost - CommanderApplejack



Sparks came from damaged sections on Sweetie's right foreleg as she stood up to face height, the jaws of both other fillies having fallen open at the sight of her battered form. "This unit requires help."

  • ...
2
 170
 4,037

>Repair systems activated

+------------------------------------------+
>Analysing...

>Done.
+------------------------------------------+

Report:

> Noble metal reserves sufficient.

> Raw material reserves insufficient.

> Raw Elements required:
- Iron
- Copper
- Carbon
- Silicon

> Internal assembler active.

> Retrieving blueprints...

> ...Error, files corrupted.

> Prioritising data recovery.

>...0%

>...1%
+------------------------------------------+

“Darnit her heavy ya know!” Subject Apple Bloom stated through gritted teeth.

“This unit's servos are working at reduced power to prevent further damage,” Sweetie replied as she was helped up into a wooden structure built in a large tree. A subroutine had deemed that the construction looked decently well-built and the walk up increased the data to support that assumption.

“Don't mean ya couldn't help just a bit more,” Bloom grunted as she got Sweetie up the last step and inside.

“Further damage to this unit would significantly increase repair times,” Sweetie replied as she scanned the internals of the structure. There were a few small pieces of furniture, a stand, and a wall covered in drawings. Sweetie's system pinged multiple of these drawings as they matched data from her memory banks and she filed them away for later processing so as not to disrupt the recovery of her maintenance blueprints. The earthpony and pegasus put her down in the middle of the room and both took a step back.

"So what the buck are you, and what have you done to Sweetie?" Scootaloo asked hostilely, having followed Apple Bloom's lead until now. The pegasus stalked around Sweetie, remaining just outside her reach as she thoroughly studied the damaged bot's form. "Well, talk!"

>Subject Scootaloo's hostility levels rising.

>Determining best course of action...

"This bot's designation is Sweetie Belle, it is an autonomous, self-sufficient, unit," Sweetie replied, her survival protocols deciding truth was the most likely to succeed in keeping her mainframe from further harm.

"A whatnow?" Apple Bloom asked, an eyebrow raised.

“My system specs specify me as a mechanised reconnaissance construct,” Sweetie elaborated, Scootaloo rearing back.

“You were spying on us?!” the pegasus filly roared.

Sweetie shook her head. “My primary directive is...”

>Primary directive: File unavailable.

>Checking logs...

>Primary directive not found.

“...Missing.”

Various systems froze for a second as the prioritisation queue glitched. Sweetie's systems eventually settled on pausing every process to perform a general system check, confirming the presence of all her core files.

“Hey!” Alerts flared as Sweetie's cheek was smacked by a hoof, subject Scootaloo standing in front of her. “Don't do that!”

“Alert, my primary directive is not present,” Sweetie immediately stated, the pitch of the bot's voice had heightened and the speed at which she talked increased by a small factor.

“Whoa there, calm down,” Bloom said as Sweetie jumped up, sparks coming from the bot's joints as they couldn't currently handle the power fed into them. “Maybe if we help repair ya you can remember?”

“We're helping this thing?!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “We should be out looking for the real Sweetie, not this tin replacement!”

Sweetie tried altering her file on Scootaloo to mark the pegasus' hostility but some stubborn subroutines blocked her every time she tried. She ended up marking the hostility down in a separate file to adjust later.

Apple Bloom shook her head. “Scootaloo, if a pony like you or me were standing that close to an explosion like that Ah'm pretty sure we wouldn't be in one piece... Ah think this really is our Sweetie.”

"The file does not exist. There are no data fragments to recover," Sweetie stated, lowering herself back down and reducing her reactor's power output. "This is troubling."

"Why?" Scootaloo huffed.

"The Primary Directive is my purpose for being," Sweetie said, the mere statement throwing up red flags in her system which demanded it be fixed.

"So... ya still need to find your special talent?" Apple Bloom questioned, not getting what the bot was getting at. "We've been lookin' for that fer a good while now."

"You suggest writing my own Prime Directive?" Sweetie asked, evaluating the proposition. Some of her subroutines agreed while other, more careful, subroutines opposed.

"Ah guess so?" Applebloom said a bit unsure what Sweetie meant.

"I will evaluate that idea after completing repair and data recovery," Sweetie announced. "Until then, will you help obtain the raw material required for repair?"

Apple Bloom looked over at Scootaloo who sat with her forehooves crossed, Sweetie looked at the two as they were making weird movements with their legs and moving their eyes around. Sweetie tried to decipher the non-verbal communication but once again found only a corrupted folder.

“Fine!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “But you owe us an explanation after!”

Sweetie nodded. “Those terms are agreeable.”

“So what do ya need?”

“Primary required components are iron, copper, carbon, and silicon.”

Apple Bloom looked at Sweetie as if she was crazy. “Ah get the first two but... Uhh... Well, Ah ain't got no clue what those other two are.”

“Carbon is the basis for any organic materials, a large amount of plant matter will suffice,” Sweetie elaborated.

“And this si-li-con?” Scootaloo asked, trying to replicate what Sweetie had said.

"Element fourteen, the raw element would speed up the process but my systems could extract it from quartz," Sweetie replied as her fabricators calculated how much she needed.

"I'm pretty sure Rarity could find that stuff with her gem-seeking spell!" Apple Bloom exclaimed, making another flag pop up in Sweetie's system as she found a file marked with that name.

"Seriously?" Scootaloo deadpanned. "Yeah, let's go to Rarity and tell her we need her help fixing her little sister, who by the way is a metal pony, that we need quartz to fix her because she blew herself up!"

"And how do you think we should get that stuff then?!" Apple Bloom snapped, getting rather annoyed at Scootaloo's constant bickering and complaining.

"Pinkie grew up on a rock farm, she can probably find the stuff pretty easy," Scootaloo proposed, backing off a little from Apple Bloom. The earthpony, though, had to concede it wasn't a bad idea.

"APPLE BLOOM!"

Both Scootaloo and Apple Bloom froze as they looked over to the door of the clubhouse. Sweetie's systems returned to the alert state as well as she powered up and took a step back.

"GET YER FLANK DOWN HERE YOUNG FILLY!" the pony outside roared. "AN' TAKE BIG BETTY WITH YA!"

Apple Bloom swallowed nervously as she walked over to the shotgun and slung it around herself, leaning over to Scootaloo after. "Ah think yer going ta have ta get them materials without me."

"Y-Yeah" Scootaloo replied nervously as Apple Bloom made for the door and stepped out.

"Does friend Apple Bloom require assistance with this threat?" Sweetie asked Scootaloo as Apple Bloom was being chewed out further by the pony outside. "I can try to deploy my weapon systems to deter hostility?"

"Wait, what?! No! Applejack's her sister!" Scootaloo exclaimed, making the argument outside die down a little as they heard the noise inside. Sweetie's system gave her another flag and she squared it away for later reconstruction.

"Scootaloo, Ah know yer in there!" Applejack shouted, a little more restrained than with Apple Bloom. "Ah think it's time for ya ta go home!"

"Buck," Scootaloo muttered. "Stay here, I'll be back later with the stuff for you."

Sweetie nodded. "Acknowledged."

Author's Note: