• Published 19th Oct 2021
  • 24,534 Views, 1,798 Comments

Accepting Change - drFraud



Well... it seems I'm a changeling... Decades before the first episode of FiM.

  • ...
60
 1,798
 24,534

PreviousChapters Next
CH 49 (removing the problem)

Patchwork

I was trudging forward, head lowered from genuine exhaustion to… home I guess. Velvet’s presence certainly made the house we occupied, feel welcome. Even if it belonged to a dead ling.

I hoped that I would have to deal only with Chrysalis today, but, as it turns out… Honestly, I should have looked into the matter of Husk the moment Chrysalis was taken care of. I have only myself to blame, but for now, I needed a plan and I needed Celestia at this point.

Opening and passing through the door I was greeted with sounds of chatter that momentarily quieted down when I entered.

Raising my head, I saw Dicty sitting in the middle of the, well, sitting room, while Velvet was scanning through a series of parchments sticking to the wall by, what I’m guessing, magic. They were both looking at me, with Vel’s beaming smile being a wonderful sight to see.

“Dicty, good to see you,” I greeted her with a quick wave which she returned with a nod of her head.

“You look horrible, Patch. What happened?” She had her head tilted to the side but I paid little attention to her as I made a beeline to Velvet.

After a nice hug, a deep kiss, and a nibble of love I felt well enough to talk, and I had to be careful about what I would say. Both of them would catch on that I was planning something, and removing Husk from this place into somewhere actually secure would count as a ‘stupid’ plan in their eyes.

“Chrysalis had been teaching me how to produce love. I thought it was just a 'me' thing, but apparently, Endo could do it as well as her.”

“So it’s something all royal changelings can do, interesting.” Dicty seemed genuinely impressed, something I have learned from experience isn’t easy to do.

“So how did it go?” Velvet asked while still holding me in a tight grip. And while I did let go of the hug, I kept gently running my claws through her mane.

“Draining,” I sighed, “but I certainly made some great strides according to her,” All truths. Chryssy did help me improve my emotional and love production, and I was genuinely surprised when she told me that Endo could do it, just like she can. But the actual training took about an hour of the whole day.

“Well, I was chatting with Velvet here, but...” Dicty stood up, stretching her back and giving her wings a quick buzz, “I’ll leave the two of you alone so you can finally catch up.”

Velvet quickly disentangled herself from me and gave her friend a quick hug.

“Thank you for coming over Dicty. It’s nice to have a good friend around to talk to,” letting go of her ling friend, Velvet’s emotions were tinted with slight embarrassment, “especially since it’s hard to talk to most other changelings.”

“You need to remember; I spent years living among ponies. Give them some time Twilight, you’ll see,” A quick smile and she left the house, her elytra flashing red in the evening light as the door closed.

The moment Dicty left Velvet started nuzzling me and I went back to, essentially, combing her hair with my claws, “So what else did you do? I barely saw you today.”

Sighing I laid down on my side pulling my marefriend gently with me, we got comfortable on the hard resin floor and I had to resist the urge to pinch the bridge of my nose when today’s memories flashed through my head.

“That bad, huh?” Vel giggled and pulled herself closer to me.

“Let’s just say that Chrysalis needs a caretaker at all times, as well as someone that can tell her ‘no’ when she gets a stupid idea,” she hoped that the whole city will be not only good-as-new but completely changed within two weeks. Ponera, who we ran into while sorting the whole pod problem, didn’t seem as enthusiastic and it took both of us roughly an hour to fully explain the current situation to the recently awakened changeling queen.

It ended up being a bit of a wake-up call for Chrysalis as thus far the changelings followed her every whim without questioning it, a way of ruling that Husk thoroughly managed to ingrain into everyone around here. She thought that they listened to her out of love and respect. Some did, but not all.

Which is why I talked Ponera into keeping an eye on her new queen in an advisory position of sorts. Keratin was fantastic when it comes to keeping to a schedule and sorting out paperwork (no backbone though, probably why Husk chose him), but Chrysalis needed someone to tell her no until she is better and also someone that cares. Hopefully, I wasn’t making a mistake with that choice.

“She can’t be that bad off, Patch. I spoke to her several times while we were waiting on you, she isn’t a bad… erm… changeling.”

“No one said she is, Vel. Most of the lings seem to prefer her over Husk, but she got it into her head that the old ways need to be shoved aside without considering that the old parasite ruled for several centuries and that not everything she implemented is bad… hard as it is to accept,” I mean, she was a well of hatred but she managed to keep several thousand lings fed and safe… relatively, for a long time.

“So what would you like to keep from the old queen?” She asked and I frowned.

While I did agree that some stuff she did was good (Husk made sure that new ways of using resin, chitin repair, and warrior training were regularly looked into if they can be improved), the vast majority of her rule was designed to undermine every and all sense of individuality.

Several hundred years of rule ensured that changelings became a singular unit, one that can face nearly any challenge without questioning it or, and this is where the problems start, considering the consequence; those were for the queen to think about. Exemptions to the rule notwithstanding.

“I guess, the way that the current army is organized… the spy network,” I muttered for myself more so than for her, “their medicine could use an upgrade, but it’s obvious that they know what to do…”

A light poke on my nose returned my attention to Velvet, and a small kiss on the same place made me smile and pull her into a full kiss on the lips that was quickly growing in passion.

I was going to take things a step further, but a small shift in her emotions toward sadness felt like a handbrake being pulled. By the look on her face, she knew I noticed.

“I have to go home at some point,” Lowering her head and placing it on my chest she let out a quiet whimper, immediately causing me to curl up protectively around her.

“And soon I’m guessing, your college isn’t going to wait on you.”

“Yes… I should be able to catch up without too many issues, but I would have to leave soon,” Tightening her grip, she wiggled around a bit making herself comfortable. She let out an adorable sigh once she practically fused with me.

There was no doubt in my mind that she would be able to sort it all out without much fuss. Soon, however, implied ‘as soon as possible’; ponies did not have the luck of having a photographic memory, humans were in the same boat though.

Untangling myself slightly, I looked over my shoulder at the wall with all the parchments sticking to it.

“These are all the notes for the classes?” I started running my claws through her mane, making her hum in appreciation.

“As much as I could remember anyway. I tried to practice, a bit, but I kind of…”

“Yeh, your books are back home, because you thought it was a good idea to come here, not knowing…” I let out a low growl that came as a bit of a surprise. I knew my anger at her coming here would let itself known sooner or later.

All that got me though was a mewling protest and a trail of kisses up my neck along with her big watery eyes finding mine. It didn’t last long before I had to look away.

I should have never been surprised (or shocked) that she found her way here, Tartarus, I would have done the very same thing in her shoes, or worse…

“I wish I could at least send you letters,” It was a whisper, almost like it was meant for herself, and I immediately set my head racing trying to find a solution that could work for both of us, grinning like a madman when I thought of one, “Okay love, that’s a bit creepy,” looking down all I managed to see was a raised eyebrow.

“I might have a solution for us… I’ll just have to ask for a HUGE favor,” I whispered that last part for myself, “So, you want me to take you home tomorrow?” Suddenly I had a plan and another headache. I was hoping for some sleep, but I’ll have to find Silent Drop instead.

Flying high above the ground, making sure that I’m not too high for my passengers, I was making good time for Canterlot.

I was in the form of a Roc again, as large as I could make myself without being too uncomfortable.

Near the very top of my head, grinning like a lunatic for over an hour now, was my Velvet. Further down, near the middle of my back is doctor White Light who held onto Silent Drop for dear life, and two other lings that would help the good doctor with his cargo.

Held in Light’s magic was one of the feeder pods. I was told that a bit of trade was happening between changelings and ponies with it, but not what the lings would get out of it. White Light did tell me that he wanted to run the pod through some of the larger equipment back in his lab.

We have notified Celestia of our arrival and she has offered assistance with transporting the pod as a massive bird flying over Canterlot would likely spook the flighty populace. She would meet us about a third of the way there, and a purple flare would be used to get our attention.

It would be nice to see Celestia again, even if briefly.

To top it all off Silent had a pair of saddlebags on her with a very dangerous cargo that I hoped no one but us two knew about. She did explain to me, in detail, how stupid my plan is but she did agree to help me.

“Higher! HIGHER!” Vel screeched at the top of her lungs, holding onto the faux plumage at the top of my head. Her joy was like a blazing sun at this point, and I let out a loud happy caw, but I doubted she could hear it clearly from the winds.

Unfortunately for Velvet, I couldn’t fly higher than this (I was high enough as it is, a bit more and I would clear mount Canterhorn) without the magical protections, Cloudsdale and Canterlot offered she would be blasted clear off my back. Even now I was a bit apprehensive about the current height, but my marefriend was quite conscious about her safety. They all held on both physically and magically to me as my feathers could only provide so much protection.

Letting Velvet enjoy her thrill, I focused ahead using a bit of my magic to enhance my eyesight.

Scanning the horizon, I was hoping to catch a glimpse of Celestia’s white fur or at least the gold of the guards but no luck. I will have to land soon, whether I want to or not, I was getting tired from holding this massive form, and I could see Canterlot in the distance, which meant that someone could see me as well.

My thoughts were interrupted by a purple flare breaking the canopy of the Everfree, just at the very edge of the south section. It would take me another minute to reach it but, at the very least this trip would be finally over.

Angling myself down I began my descent, making sure that I would be low enough to land without needing a sharp dive.

Two short caws were the signal for the flyers and by the time I reached the ground I should be free from my passengers and I was looking forward to being myself again. I felt like I will burst from how bloated I felt.

I could use the bathroom as well, now that I think about it.’

By the time I reached the ground, I could see a clearing between the trees where two large carriages were waiting on us, along with Celestia and eight guards.

I noticed that most of those eight guards had their helmets off, lying down on the ground and chatting away while Celestia was just exiting one of the carriages.

I landed lightly and shook myself back into my changeling from the moment I felt that everyone was off my back.

“Oh that feels so good,” I groaned in relief when my body settled back. Pushing my claws and hands forwards, I opened my elytra and buzzed loudly while I stretched my back. “I should practice my Shape duration more often, this…”

I had just enough time to spot a grey mess of fur when Velvet practically smashed our lips together.

“We HAVE to do that again,” was her breathless whisper in my ear after our kiss, and if emotions were any indication, she would be jumping on top of me in ways I…

A loud cough made us both jump apart. Thankfully, people couldn’t see how embarrassed I was due to my shell, but Velvet was beat-red and looking like she would much rather will the ground to swallow her whole right there and then. I wasn’t too proud to admit to myself that I was hoping for the same thing.

“Well, now that we prevented a possible disaster,” Celestia's voice had a barely perceptible crack to it making my head drop down along with my ears and I could just barely hear Velvet pray for a swift end, “It’s good to see you again, my dear.” She approached me and leaned in for a nuzzle at the side of my head.

I let my inner child free for a moment, grabbing her head gently mid-pass with my claws and holding it in place, genuinely enjoying her presence.

I could hear her gasp softly at my gesture, and I got a flow of happiness and affection from her emotions. I expected her to pull back at some point, especially since I wasn’t exactly clean in the first place, but she surprised me by pulling me into a hug and using her left wing as a shield of sorts, draping it over me.

I wasn’t on board with Chrysalis, I just recently met her, but Celestia? Maybe not to call her mom, but seeing her again after almost two weeks of hell, my emotions were clear on where she stood with me, along with Shield.

“You told me that ruling would be stressful,” a weak chuckle escaped me, “but something tells me you were underselling it.”

Slowly pulling back out of the hug I could see her shimmering eyes and a genuine smile.

“My dear, if I told you the truth you would have run for the hills, most possibly screaming all the way. I know I would have,” A quick wink told me she wasn’t entirely serious, and it did get a chuckle out of me. Giving a light tug to follow her and a wave with a wing for Velvet, the three of us entered one of the carriages and a minute later we were up in the air.

“Now… Velvet, my dear,” Vel stood at attention, swallowing a heavy lump, “Your parents are very… displeased with you. I managed to smooth things over with them, but it would be prudent to apologize first thing when you see them. Understood?” Slumping down with relief and nodding her head one would think that my marefriend was happy with this resolution, but all I could sense was trepidation.

Reaching over and pulling her close to me, I could see some confidence return to her and I got a quick nuzzle as a ‘thank you’ that I eagerly returned.

“I just hope they aren’t blaming Patch for this,” She asked and now I started to worry.

“They do not…” my ears perked up, “not entirely at least.” And down they go again. “However,” and up they went again, “I gave them a decent explanation about the current situation and they were very understanding.”

Vel and I gave her a quick nod, and I thought we would relax the rest of the way, but then Celestia turned to me.

“With that settled, Patch, I would like to hear about the situation in the Badlands. Getting messages from miss Drop is all well and good, but I would like to hear it from you, directly.”

Letting go of Velvet I shifted a bit in the seat. It was easy to leave the troubles behind me now that I am so far away from them, but I couldn’t, in clear conscience, just leave altogether. Not until I was sure that the situation there was sorted.

“It's… better now, love-wise, with Chrysalis awake. But there are still issues that need to be urgently addressed…,” a short burst of magic and she held a large parchment along with a quill, motioning with a wing for me to continue, “solid food is a bit of an issue, after Chrysalis went through a three-day binge with ‘fixing’ things.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow at that, and it was obvious that she had questions, but she didn’t interrupt me. After about a moment of deliberation, she refocused on me.

“Due to the current food issue we now have a lack of resin, which is affecting, well, just about everything,” I shrugged, trying to keep myself steady. Voicing these things out loud just me feel all the more conscious about them.

“Morale is fairly high though, and ever since she woke up, Chrysalis had kept the love production at a stable level.”

“I take it then that Husk’s influence has been sorted then?”

“Yes, a-nd…no. Husk herself is currently in… you’ll see when we get into the castle properly.”

“You brought that blasted thing here!?” Velvet’s voice was quiet but shrill.

“Brought what over?” Celestia questioned.

“Patch?” While my…While Celestia was calm and collected, Vel was panicking next to me. I did not know why she reacted like this and it made me question how much she was told. I would have to check later, but right now she was shaking me and her emotions were deeply tainted with fear.

I wasn’t a pony though, and the only thing her panic did was made me annoyed.

“Vel, you are panicking…”

“I know I’m panicking,” now she was scowling at me, “You are bringing a Wight to Equestria! Why?”

It took me a moment. I had to translate it three times in my head until I made sure that I heard the word correctly.

She spoke Equish, that much I was sure of, but the word sounded distinctly English.

But, as much as the word sounded familiar, I had no idea what she was talking about, or why she was panicking; in her current condition, Husk wouldn’t be able to hurt even a fly. I’ll have to ask about this ‘wight’ thing later.

“Umm Vel, hon, you know that she can’t even move right now, let alone do anything else?” I hoped that reminding her of Husk’s current condition would calm her down. With any luck, she knows about the creature’s current condition.

“And you are certain of it?”

“Patch,” and now Celestia was pitching in, “is there a particular reason why you brought her with you?” I knew she meant Husk, but for a split second my thought was ‘Velvet’.

“Yes actually, there are several reasons in fact,” I enunciated the word ‘several’ while looking pointedly at Velvet. Her emotions were still unsteady, but she was starting to calm down. It didn’t stop her from giving me a sideways stink-eye.

Giving her another moment to settle down I took a deep breath and slowly let it out.

In whole honesty, this was incredibly risky, for several reasons. Chief of which no one told me that Husk has separated from Chrysalis and that she was just… left near the same pool the newly saved queen was lying in for almost a full week.

I could feel another big headache heading my way when I remembered all the tiptoeing I had to do in the last twenty hours just to ensure no one, and I mean NO-ONE other than myself and Silent Drop, found out I was taking Husk.

It became essential to remove Husk from there (and also why I still felt the exhaustion from yesterday) after I found out what the changelings did to ‘secure’ her: they trapped her current form into a solid resin crystal and tossed it in the castle vault. Of course, they weren’t entirely stupid, as the resin crystal was so heavily enchanted that it was glowing. I did not want to risk testing the enchantments out, as my magical knowledge was lacking, but I knew enough to not worry about grabbing it.

Rubbing my temples as the memories from yesterday and last night trickled in I asked Celestia to postpone questions about Husk until we arrived at the castle.

I was just hoping that my gamble would pay off; after all, you need to study the monster to fight it. The Queen was saved, and next up, the princess and I had ample time to prepare.

Author's Note:

-_-'
I was trying to finish editing this chapter at around 1 am, and I found out in the morning that I put several emojis into the conversation sections. Not sure what I was thinking, but it sure as Tartarus made me question my life choices.
On the other hand, it gave me a solid chuckle when Grammarly spotted it.

PreviousChapters Next