• Published 2nd Jun 2021
  • 4,051 Views, 261 Comments

Newfound Neighbors - FrostTheWolf



Having a new neighbor move in next door is one thing... that is, until you realize that neighbor is a unicorn that's too smart for her own good.

  • ...
17
 261
 4,051

06- SPLAT!!

Okay, seriously. When Mistral last night asked for me to try and keep Gizmo out of trouble, I didn’t know at the time that I had probably taken on a task that might’ve been too much for me to handle. Heck, I would’ve thought that Gizmo would at least show some level of restraint after what happened last night when she killed most of the power on our block.

Unfortunately, much like a kitten chasing a laser pointer after being introduced to catnip (don’t ask me how I know about this), that did not turn out to be the case. If anything, self-control was seen as more of an afterthought than anything else. For not only did she stare in awe at each of the appliances that I showed her around the house, but she was damn near close to disassembling the freezer unit in our garage when I was trying to look for something to have for breakfast this morning.

Then there was actually cooking breakfast this morning. Because Gizmo wanted to help, even though part of me was worried that if I took my eyes off her for a moment, she might burn the kitchen down. That and I wasn’t sure if she would be too thrilled at the sight of me trying to cook something like ham or bacon. So, I just stuck with some of the basics for breakfast that morning.

That was, until I asked for the unicorn’s opinion on the matter. “Hey, Gizmo. I was going to start making breakfast. Do you have any suggestions on what we should make?”

“W-what we should make?” she asked, unsure what to make of the question I just asked her, “You… want me to actually cook?”

“Well, I was asking what you wanted to eat, but if you want to help, I don’t see why not.”

Gizmo looked back at me with a rather nervous expression on her face, almost as if she was trying to determine whether or not to actually help out. “I g-guess I could give it a go. B-but fair warning, I’m… not that great when it comes to this kind of thing.”

So wait… you’re telling me that a unicorn genius who could put some of the contestants on Shark Tank to shame is not a good cook? Maybe she just needs someone to show her the way? Or at least, something with simple to understand instructions. Which gave me an idea.

“How about we make some pancakes? I remember my family still has a few boxes of pancake mix in the pantry. We can use that if you’re up for it.”

“D-does it at least have some instructions?” the unicorn asked again, still rather nervous.

“Yeah, the mix we would use always has instructions on the box,” I said, trying to put her mind at ease. I mean, since my family uses bisquick, the instructions for pancakes, biscuits or waffles would always be on the back with a simple recipe. So just following them step by step shouldn’t be too difficult of a task to do. I mean, it’s not like you’re being asked to perform surgery or build a car engine from scratch. I mean, despite Gizmo’s many apparent talents, I highly doubt working with heavy machinery was one of them.

Once I had actually gotten the box of mix that we needed, it was time to get the other ingredients. Mainly, we needed milk, eggs and vegetable oil. The recipe in itself was quite simple; just get the right measurements, mix everything together, separate them on a griddle to let it cook and flip when necessary.

Of course, simple to me. To Gizmo, trying to explain it was a bit harder than intended. So, I decided that the best course of action was to have me get the mix ready, while she would handle the griddle. After all, flipping pancakes should be simple, right?

I only began to realize the error in my way of thinking after showing a brief demonstration to the unicorn, before letting her try for herself. Because when it was time to flip the pancakes, she didn’t necessarily ‘flip’ them over like I showed her.

Instead, when she was using her magic to levitate the spatula, they shot straight up and made contact with the ceiling. The impact had pancake batter splatter everywhere, almost as if it was like a Mortal Kombat fatality. And to the unicorn, she saw this as if her worst fears were confirmed.

“I-I thought I did it right,” Gizmo said as her ears dropped straight down, looking away in shame, “I-I did it like y-you told me, but-”

“Hey, hey, it’s okay,” I tried to assure her, “Accidents happen all the time-”

“Y-yeah, but this a-also happens to me back home,” the unicorn pouted, “I t-try so hard to get it right, but s-something always goes wrong! I m-might get the ingredients right, but-”

“Woah, slow down,” I told her, trying my best to prevent the Gizmo Tear Waterworks from springing a leak, “Maybe there’s another way we could do this.”

“H-how though? How can I cook if I c-can’t use my magic?”

That’s when a thought hit me. There could’ve been a few different reasons for why Gizmo’s magic acted like that, but there might be a solution to the current problem. And surprisingly enough, the theory that was in my head involved one of the inventions that she showed me just the other day.

“Remember that invention you made that you showed me the other day? The two wristbands?”

“Y-yeah, but how-”

“Why don’t you go grab them and put them on,” I suggested to her, “I want to test a theory. If all goes well, we might have a solution to our…” At that point, the pancake that was on the ceiling fell and landed right on my face, “… mess.”

Gizmo was rather hesitant at first, but after a moment or two, she decided to go along with it and left to go get the bands. As for me, after cleaning up what dropped on my face, I began to prepare some smaller sized pancakes. They weren’t as big or fluffy as some of the other ones, but this was so that I could put the thought I had to the test.

Not a moment too soon afterwards did the unicorn come back with the bands fastened onto her front hooves as the claws I saw the day before began to move. “O-okay, I have them… w-what happens now?”

In response, I got out a second spatula from a nearby drawer and handed it to her. “Hold onto this and watch me. I think it was time we went back to basics.”


At the time I thought of my idea, I was very unsure about how well it was going to be. Yet, much to the surprise of both Gizmo and I, the results were much better than I had thought they were going to be. Not only did we not have any repeated incidents of pancakes hitting the ceiling, but we actually were able to cook a few other things alongside that without having any more accidents play out in the kitchen.

The food was rather good as well. Though, when we were eating, Gizmo had a question for me. “Hey Sam… you mentioned that you had a theory earlier. Could you tell me what it was?”

At the time she asked, I was just finishing a sip of coffee as I set my cup down on the table. “Well, let me ask you something then. How do you feel after last night?”

“Like physically? Mentally? You might need to be more specific.”

Fair point, I’ll give her that. “I mean your magic. How does that feel?”

At that, the unicorn tilted her head. Before giving me an answer. “You know, earlier I did feel a bit invigorated. Like… how should I put it…” she then glanced at the coffee mug I had just set down on the table, before giving me an answer, “Like that feeling of being really energized after drinking coffee, but to my magic. Though, that feeling’s kind of gone now. Why?”

Okay, that definitely confirmed quite a few things. “Well; if I had to take a guess, and don’t quote me on this, your magic probably might’ve been feeling some effects from that spell you cast last night. Like it unintentionally made your magic much stronger than it normally was supposed to be. I don’t know for sure, but that’s the only thing I could think of.”

At that, Gizmo’s eyes widened for a brief moment. Yet, it was enough for her to realize that I might have been onto something. “I think that… actually makes sense. I mean, it’s more logical than some of the other possibilities I was thinking of,” Then, I began to notice the unicorn’s eyes as they started to twinkle. “T-then it’s possible! I-I can actually cook!”

I… was just going to take it as a good sign. It made me feel rather happy to see her like this. To give her a feeling of hope felt like I was being more than just a neighbor. I was being a real good friend, one that would do their best to support them no matter what kind of messes they get into. Maybe this was the start of something like that?

“So, uh, can I ask you something? It’s not related to what we’re talking about, but I thought I would ask.”

“Oh sure, go ahead.”

“Well, before we started cooking,” she said, “I had to wash some paint out of my fur and mane. Though, what exactly were you using paint for? I don’t remember you mentioning about being an artist.”

That had me pause for a brief moment, before looking back to her when I had an answer, “Yeah, uh… that was for something I do as a hobby. I play this board game with my dad and a few friends of mine. We have different figurines for the different characters we use in our campaign,” To show her what I mean, I brought out the miniature that I was working on the other night now that the paint for most of it was dried. Just a few details on the axe were missing, but it was mostly done. I also brought out one of the figures that I hadn’t started working on yet to give a side by side comparison, “Of course, since they come like this, we need to do the painting ourselves.”

“Huh… that’s pretty cool,” Gizmo replied, “Kind of reminds me of a similar game back home. What’s the name of it?”

“Dungeons & Dragons.”

A shocked expression now emerged on the unicorn’s face, “Really? Wow… back home, the game we have is called Oubliettes & Ogres.”

Seriously? That’s… surprising. As Gizmo went on, some of these things she was talking about sounded a lot similar to things in the game. Just with some differences here and there. Though, there was one question that she said that I wasn’t entirely prepared for.

“If your game sounds a lot similar to mine, then can we try to play? It would be interesting to give it a try.”

… Okay, forget about what I said before about pony gods granting me patience. I need a blessing from Matt Mercer if I’m going to go through with this. Because even though I have played before, I had no previous experience as a DM whatsoever. That and I was worried that because of my lack of experience, it was going to affect how Gizmo would enjoy the game.

Though, if she really wanted to do this, then who was I to say no. “Sure. Once we’re done with breakfast, we’ll start working on your character sheet and then we’ll get started. Though, fair warning, there’s… a lot of things to cover.”

“That’s alright with me! I think we’re done anyways,” She said, before a flicker of magic teleported our dishes into the sink, “Well, what are you waiting for? Let’s get started!”

… Okay, I think just from that alone, I know what her alignment is going to be.


Author's Note:

Next time... Roll for Initiative.


Next chapter's going to need a bit more time, for there's going to be a lot to cover... and things are going to get crazy.