• Published 2nd Jun 2021
  • 4,051 Views, 261 Comments

Newfound Neighbors - FrostTheWolf



Having a new neighbor move in next door is one thing... that is, until you realize that neighbor is a unicorn that's too smart for her own good.

  • ...
17
 261
 4,051

15- Card Games with Ponies

If there was ever one day that I always look forward to the most out of any day in the week, it had to be fridays. Back when I was a kid, Fridays meant that it was not only the end of the week and that the weekend was right around the corner, but it also meant family game night. It used to be that our family would play different kinds of board games after we had dinner and try new things. Though, as I got older, my dad introduced me to two particular games that I still happen to play with not just him, but also friends that both he and I know.

The first one was Dungeons & Dragons. Though, that usually happens most of the time in the comfort of either our own home or the home of someone else we knew. The second one though was Magic- The Gathering, and at the game store Ryan and I would go to, they usually hold something called ‘Friday Night Magic’. Although it’s meant as a way to introduce newcomers into playing Magic with other people, a few of us still come over to not just meet other players, but also play a few rounds with decks that we constructed. Namely for the commander format.

Today though, a friend that happens to work at the game store that we go to told us that there was a bit of a surprise waiting for us there. I was honestly not sure what to expect, but as it turned out, there were quite a few Equestrians in the store too. Some of them were looking at other games that were available, while others happened to be playing some of their own games from their world.

Though, out of the crowd here, there was one equestrian I recognized that I honestly did not think would be here. “Oh hi, Sam. What are you doing here?”

I looked over towards the tables where a few others were playing Magic, only to find that my neighbor was here of all places. “Gizmo? What are you doing here?”

“Well, Swift decided to visit us and your friend Ryan told us that we can rent out and play games here,” she replied, “Swift was checking out some of the other games, and I just happened to notice these guys playing here. Funny enough, what they’re playing reminds me of Sorcery- The Galloping.”

Hold up. Reminds you of what now? “That’s… Magic- The Gathering.”

“It is?” the unicorn tilted her head, “Huh. Well, whatever they’re playing, it’s the same as the game I’m familiar with. Only difference is that a lot of the names and everything aren’t the same. Really want to try for myself, though…”

She then motioned over to the tables, where there weren’t that many open spots. Either some people were just playing by themselves or they were playing within a group of four, but there didn’t seem to be any openings. Though, perhaps there was a way that we could fix this.

“If you want, you and I can play.”

The unicorn looked over to me with a bit of shock and confusion. “R-really? But wouldn’t I have to learn how to play your game?”

“I don’t think so,” I told her, before setting down my bag and getting out the deck box of the deck I recently built, “You said that the game that you’re familiar with is similar to the one I am familiar with. So why don’t we try this. You’re best Sorcery- The Galloping deck against my best Magic- The Gathering one. Whoever beats the other wins.”

At first, she seemed rather open to the idea. However, it looked like she still had some questions. “I’m interested. Though, what’s the format that you play?”

“Well, with some of my friends, we usually play a format called ‘Commander’,” I explained as I pulled out the particular commander I have for my deck and showed her, “Where we have a particular card that serves as a commander and we build the deck around them. The only catch is that you can only put in one copy of any card in the deck aside from basic lands, unless the text says otherwise.”

“Oh, that sounds exactly like Mastermind,” Gizmo quickly replied back, before sitting across from me as I began to shuffle my deck, “Yeah, maybe we can give this a go.”

With her magic, I watched as she took out a deck box that almost looked similar to the one that I had, but gave the appearance that it was a mechanical contraption of some kind. Though, it was as we were preparing to get things set up that Swift happened to join us as well as Ryan. “Well this is unexpected. What are you two up to?”

“Gizmo and I were going to give something a try,” I told Ryan, “She told us that one of the games from Equestria plays exactly like Magic- The Gathering. So I thought that maybe we could play a game where she took her best deck, I took mine and we see who wins.”

“Huh. Well, color me intrigued,” Swift remarked as he sat down next to Gizmo, “If you’re playing the format I think you’re playing, then that would usually involve four players right? Mind if you include me too?”

“I never knew you actually played.”

“Heh. There’s a lot of things you don’t know about me,” Okay, I hate to admit it, but he has a point. “Perhaps this can change that. That is, if your friend wanted to join us and make it four?”

“Do I?” Ryan chuckled, before he sat down next to me, “Count me in. This will be interesting”

We all took about a minute or so to get ourselves set up. Each one of us shuffled our decks and I used my phone to set up the life counters. For Commander, each one of us would start out at about 40 Life and go against each other in a full on free-for-all. The last person who ends up still being alive at the end of the match wins. There are a few other things to point out here and there, but perhaps we should start at the beginning.

“So, what is everyone’s commander going to be?” Ryan asked, “Because I already know what I’m using for mine.”

“Well, mine’s going to be Bright Spark, the Brilliant.” the unicorn across from me proudly proclaimed, before I looked over at the card she just set down using her magic.

“Can I have a look at that?” I asked, wanting to get a better look and see if the card was somewhat familiar to something I had seen before.

“Sure, go ahead.”

Once I picked up the card, I noticed a couple of things. First off, the card was their game’s version of a Planeswalker… or Realmwalker, as the card phrased it. The second was that loyalty counters were referred to as trust counters as well as there being mechanics on the card that just sound like a synonym for something I’m familiar with. Finally, this particular card could be a Mastermind, or in our case a commander. Now, what exactly are its abilities?


Name- Bright Spark, the Brilliant
Cost: 2 BR
Legendary Realmwalker- Bright Spark
Unicorn Artificer

+1: Summon a 1/1 Colorless ‘Idea’ artifact creature token
+1: The next spell you cast will cost 1 less for each artifact creature you control as you cast it
-7: For each artifact you control, create a token that’s a duplicate of it. These tokens gain swiftness. Banish them at the beginning of the next end step.

Base Trust Counters- 4

Bright Spark, the Brilliant can be your Mastermind


Holy crap, this thing is Pony Saheeli, the Gifted. If I don’t keep an eye on her stuff, this could get ugly.

“What about you, Swift? Who are you playing as?”

“One of my better picks, honestly,” the pegasus replied as he placed his Commander out on the table. “When Gizmo got me into the hobby, I wasn’t really that good. Though, when I started playing with this one, I’ve been able to stand my ground a bit.”

“Mind if I have a look?” I watched as Ryan took a look at what he placed on the table, “Nimble Wing, the Rascal. Legendary Creature, pegasus thief… Huh.”

“What? You were expecting something else?” the pegasus replied as Ryan placed the card back down. “I know that it seems kind of ironic that I play with this deck because of my… well, family history, but I’ve tried playing with other creature types and they just don’t really do it for me. So, that’s why I stick with my thief deck. That way I can still fight and have many different tricks depending on what you guys bring to the table. Speaking of which, who or what exactly are you two going to have as your… Well, Masterminds?”

“You mean Commanders?” Ryan asked with a smirk on his face that gave me an idea of just how overconfident he was right now, “Well, mine is a little bit different from what I usually play, but I think I got a game plan for this one. My commander is Breena, the Demagogue.”

Both of the equines took a moment to look at the card, but I already had an idea of what his plan was going to be. It was a politics deck that insisted on having other players attack each other and he reaps the rewards from it. I’ve seen a strategy like that work before, but you need a level head for it to work. Which is hard for Ryan because once you get him going, he overreaches and ends up making mistakes… not that I’m complaining. There are times where he did that and I actually was able to win some games.

“Guess the only one that’s left is Sam,” I heard Gizmo speak, “So, who’s your Ma-. I mean Commander. Who’s your commander going to be?”

“Tovolar,” I simply replied, as I pointed at the card in the ‘command zone’ that I set him at. “Tovolar, Dire Overlord.”

“Ah shit,” I heard Ryan curse, while both of the equines looked back at him in confusion, “That might be a headache for me to keep up with.”

“What do you mean by that? It seems intimidating enough,” Swift stated.

“I built this deck based around one of the new mechanics that was introduced into Magic a couple months back with some of the newer sets,” I said, before giving a faint smile, “As for how that mechanic works. Well, perhaps it would be easier if we got started and I showed you.”

With that, all four of us drew our opening hands and it was time to for us to get started.

For the first turn, Gizmo and Swift started by placing down their own lands to start. Gizmo placed a mountain, while Swift put down a blue/black land that was called a Temple of Deception; with the latter having to come in tapped because of the description on the card and him scrying the top card of his Library. Ryan went through by playing Silverquill Campus tapped. However, as I looked back at the cards in my hand, I had something that I could go with… and given how my deck works, I think it would be good if I got this out now.

“Okay, I’m going to play a forest and then tap it to play Sol Ring.”

“Seriously? Turn one and you’re already bringing that out?” Ryan asked, “That’s rather quick, don’t you think?”

“I’m not planning on using it now,” I deadpanned. “With that, I’ll pass the turn. Go ahead, Gizmo.”

“Alright then,” I watched as the unicorn pulled another card into her ‘hand’ with her magic, “I’m going to play an island and then tap both of my lands to play a Mystical Artificer. With its effect, any artifact costs one less. And before I finish, I’m going to cast Idea Factory, which thanks to Mystical Artificer costs no mana.”

Oh no, if that card is supposed to be what I think it is, then that’s definitely not good. And with her commander, she can flood the board with artifacts way too fast if I’m not careful.

“With that, I pass the turn and now Swift is next. Go ahead.”

Swift nodded, before he used his wing to draw his next card. As he was looking at what was in his hand though, I noticed that a few of the people around the shop had taken notice of our game. Some of them even went as far as to try and watch us from both sides of the table. And we only just started turn two for crying out loud!

“Alright, my turn,” Swift nodded and drew his card, “I’ll play an island, and then I’ll tap it to play Griffonstone Cloud-Thief, which comes in with flying. Though, since I don’t have anything else, I’ll pass to Ryan.”

“Thank you for that,” he replied, before he untapped his only land and drew his card, “I think I got a way to get this started. I’m going to play a swamp and then tap it for a black and Silverquill Campus for a white to bring out Oreskos Explorer. And when it enters, its ability triggers.”

“Uh oh,” Gizmo muttered, “It’s not… bad, is it?”

“For you no. Though, for me, it’s good,” my friend smirked, “Thanks to it, since you and Swift are two players that have more lands than I do, I can find up to two plains from my library and then add them to my hand. Once that’s done, I reshuffle everything.” Oh, so a way to get him more Mana when he’s up… I’m not quite sure if I’m really comfortable with this. I know that he’s not playing a mono green, but if left unchecked, he could catch all of us by surprise. “And because my creature has summoning sickness, I can’t go into combat, so I’ll pass to Sam.”

Alright, let’s hope that I can draw something I can work with here. “Okay, I’ll untap and draw.” Okay, so I got another land and only a couple of creatures. Though, I think I got something to help me get set up. “I’ll first start by tapping my Sol Ring to float two mana and use it to play Gruul signet. Then, I’ll tap one of the lands so I can use my signet for a red and a green and play Kessig Naturalist.”

“Oh, here we go.”

“And when Kessig Naturalist come onto the battlefield, it becomes Day,” I added, before placing a card on the side that indicated whether it was day or night. My deck, being a werewolf one, relied a lot on the Day/Night Cycle mechanic that was introduced in Innistrad- Midnight Hunt. To simplify things, if certain conditions are met, my creatures can change forms depending on if it was day or night. Not only that, but certain cards had bonuses depending on this. Only question was, would Gizmo or Swift do anything to have those conditions be met.

“Both of my creatures have summoning sickness and can’t attack this turn, so I’ll pass. Gizmo, you’re up”

“O-okay,” she replied, before she untapped her things and drew a card, “I’ll play a Foundry of Concepts as my land for turn.”

Okay, a colorless land. I’ll need to pay attention because that can get scary.

“Then, I’ll tap three and play Ikari Tinkerer.” As she said that, I noticed that she was holding two cards instead of one as she placed them both on the field. The tinkerer itself looked like that of an earth pony that was a scholar/artificer and what looked to be something that resembled a thopter, but couldn’t quite tell. “When I play Ikari Tinkerer, I get a colorless Concept Token, which is an artifact creature with flying. Not only that, but any artifacts I gain have swiftness!”

“Uh, do you mean Haste?” Ryan asked.

“If that’s your game’s way of saying ‘can attack on the turn you summon it’, then yes it has that.”

Okay, Swift’s remarks didn’t really help here. If any and ALL of her artifacts have Haste, that can get out of hand rather quickly.

“Okay, I can attack, however my artifact will just die if I do,” Wait, what now? What’s Gizmo doing now? “So I’ll go to my next phase. Because of Mystical Artificer, my artifacts cost one less. So for zero mana, I’ll cast Soluna Band.”

Oh great. Equestrian Sol Ring. Not like this could get out of-

“And I will immediately use the two from it to cast Magnifying Glass. Then I’ll pass my turn.”

Okay, hold up. In three turns, not only does she have three lands, but a creature that can make her artifacts cost less, two artifacts that give her mana and another that can just create more tokens?! Scratch what I said before, this is definitely getting scary and I’m not sure if I can keep up with this.

“Alright, my go.” Swift said as he untapped and drew his card, “I’ll draw, play a swamp, tap a swamp and island to play Aerial-Dream Thief. Then, with my last remaining mana, I play Coercion. I’ll pick Gizmo as the target for it.”

“What-? Come on!! I’m just getting ready-”

“Oh, you look a little bit more than ready. Too ready if I say so myself,” he deadpanned, before the unicorn showed him his hand and pointed at one particular card, which was soon put into Gizmo’s graveyard. From what it looked like, he just used Duress to try and tone down what she had in her hand-

“Then, I’ll have my Cloud-Thief attack you.”

“Dang it… Fine,” she groaned, “I’ll not block, so I’ll take one?”

“Yes,” with that, first blood had been drawn in this game. Even though it was only one point, it seemed like Swift had another trick up his non-existent sleeves, “Because you took combat damage, both of my thieves trigger. Cloud-Thief would have you take the top card of your deck and put it in your graveyard, while Dream-Thief will add two more to that because another thief did combat damage.”

Oh, for the love of. Swift’s deck is not only a thief deck but a Mill deck as well? God, I really do hope that he doesn’t have his sights set on me later in this game. Otherwise, it’s going to be the bane of my existence.

“Okay, I guess it’s my turn now,” Ryan added, “I’ll draw, play one of the plains that I picked up last turn and then, I’ll play my commander, Breena.”

And now things just went from bad to worse. If this continues to happen this way, who knows what will happen?

“Then… I would like to go to combat, but I would rather keep the things I have, so I’ll kindly pass it to Sam.”

“Kindly now?” I chuckled, before noticing that a few others have now gathered as I looked back at my hand, “Alright, my turn. Untap, draw… first things first, since I already have two lands in play, I can play Rockfall Vale untapped as my land for turn. Then, I will tap my Sol Ring to use one of the mana and Rockfall Vale for a red to cast Cathartic Pyre on your Mystical Artificer. It’ll take three points of damage.”

“And it’ll perish.”

“With the remaining mana from my Sol Ring, I tap my Forest and Mountain to bring out my Commander, Tovolar. Then, I’ll go to combat and have my Kessig Naturalist come for you, Gizmo.”

“I… don’t want to lose my concept, so I’ll not block,” the unicorn sighed, “I’ll take two and go to 37.”

“After this, two triggers happen,” I added, “First, because of my commander, when a wolf or werewolf deals combat damage, I draw a card. Second, when Kessig Naturalist deals damage, I get either an extra red or green mana. I’ll use the spare red mana to play Fearless Pup and then end-.”

“Before you do,” Oh, right. Ryan’s Demagogue. “Since you attacked Gizmo while Breena’s out on the field, you get an extra card draw while I get to add two +1/+1 counters on my Oreskos Explorer. They’re now a 4/4.”

I sighed, before drawing the extra card as I looked at Gizmo, “Your turn.”

Even though she tried her best to stay positive, Gizmo looked like she was going to murder me with a cards game when she looked at me. After she untapped her lands and drew her next card, I watched her grit her teeth, “Okay so, Swift messed up my original plan. So here we go with plan b. I’m going to put in an island, then tap my Soluna Band and my Idea Factory to create a second Colorless Concept Token. Then, since I don’t have anything else I can do at the moment, I will go to combat and send my concepts towards you, Sam.”

Figures. “I won’t block, so I’ll take two damage and go to thirty eight.”

“And I’ll pass my turn.”

Wait, did she…? Oh, she did! Well, this works out in my favor. I’m surprised

“Gizmo… You just made a big mistake,” Ryan told her. Something that confused not just Gizmo, but also the Equestrians that were watching the game play out.

“What? How come-?”

“Since you didn’t cast any spells or played any creatures on your turn, it switches to Night,” he told her, “And because of that, Sam’s werewolves transform into their nastier side.”

Exactly. Now my commander is Tovolar, The Midnight Scourge and my Naturalist is now Lord of the Ulvenwald. Not only that, but my wolves are now tougher than they were before. Now, I know that Gizmo still has mana on the table and she probably might have a counterspell in her hand. Though, since that the turn has passed, it fell on Swift to see if he could change things now.

“Okay, with that frightening thought in mind, I’ll untap and draw,” the pegasus replied, “I’ll play an island for my land this turn, then tap one to play my own Soluna Band, then I’ll tap it and my temple of deception to play Infiltration Briefing.”

Wait, what now?

“Please don’t tell me that’s what I think it is,” Ryan grumbled, before he looked over to Swift, “What’s the effect?”

“For any non-creature spell that any of you play, you have to pay one more mana to cast it. If you can’t or refuse, I get to draw a card.”

“Yep. Basically Rhystic Study,” he grumbled, “Fun when you play as Blue, but not when you play against it.”

“I’ll play the card Honor Among Thieves and then I’ll pass,” the pegasus nodded, “Also, would it be right to say that it’s daytime now?”

“For the moment, yes.” I heard him say as I switched my stuff, he untapped his lands and drew a card, “Okay, I’m going to do everyone a favor. First, I’ll play Study Hall as my land, then tap it and a plains to float one white mana. I’ll use that and my swamp to play an Orzhov Signet. Then I’ll tap my Silverquill Campus and the signet for one black and one white to cast Fracture on your Infiltration meeting to exile it.”

Okay, I feel a little bit relieved at that. Though, personally, given how powerful Fracture was, I think he honestly should’ve saved it.

“You do realize that will trigger it right?” Swift asked.

“It’s a trade off that I’ll take.”

The pegasus looked back at Gizmo and I, before looking towards Ryan and letting it resolve. “With that, I’ll have both my creatures swing towards you.”

“I’ll block the Explorer with my Cloud-Thief and it will die, but I won’t block Breena, so I’ll take three and go to Thirty Seven.”

“And with that, there’s nothing else I can do. Sam?”

Here we go, “I’ll untap and go to my upkeep. Because of my commander, if I have three or more wolves/werewolves out on my side, it automatically becomes Night.” Then, I drew my next card. In my hand were a couple of good creatures that could help me and mana wasn’t an issue right now. However, the problem I had was that there was something specific I was looking for in my deck that I haven’t found yet. Which would be a problem if Swift started to set his sights on me and force me to mill my deck.

Hopefully, this can help me find something. “Okay, I’m going to play Pinecrest Ridge as my land for this turn. Then, I’m going to tap my signet and my two basic lands for four mana and play Howlpack Piper. However, since it’s night, they’ll come in as Wildsong Howler and their ability triggers.”

“Which is?”

“I look at the top six cards of my library and if I find a creature I like, I reveal it and add it to my hand. Otherwise, they are put on the bottom of my library in a random order.” I let out a deep sigh at that, before setting my hand down and counting out six cards. Hopefully, I can find what I’m looking for-

… Nope, scratch that. I didn’t find what I was looking for, but I did find something else that can be just as helpful. “Okay, for my pick, it will be a Daybreak Ranger and I’ll place the other cards on the bottom of my library. Next, I’ll tap my Sol Ring for two and then tap Rockfall Vale for a green to play it, but it will come in as Nightfall Predator. Lastly, I’ll tap Pinecrest for a red and Nightfall Predator to activate its ability and have it fight another creature I don’t control.”

That had Gizmo look at me nervously, before she asked a different question. “W-who are you going to pick?”

“I’ll be targeting Breena actually.”

“Wait, what?” I heard Ryan say, caught off guard by my choice, “Why my commander? I haven't messed with you!”

“Yeah, but giving your creatures power buffs because of everyone else fighting each other is going to be a problem I don’t want to deal with, so I’m dealing with it now. And you used your mana already, so you can’t counter it.”

I only heard him let out a groan, before he looked back at me. “Okay, fine. Breena goes back to the command zone. Happy?”

“Almost,” I said, “I’ll swing my commander at you and swing Ulvenwald at Swift. Thanks to Ulvenwald, Tovolar’s a 5/5.”

Both Swift and Ryan didn’t like the sounds of that as they took no blocks. Which led to me passing my turn since I couldn’t use the spare mana from Ulvenwald for anything and back to Gizmo. As she untapped and drawed her next card, I took a quick glance for where we were at life wise after four turns. Ehh, it still seemed like a relatively close game right now, so anyone could take control at some point, right?


Fifteen minutes later

Okay, scratch what I said before. So far, it’s been very difficult trying to keep up.

Ryan was the first one that lost. Not only because of Swift milling our cards, but because Gizmo found a way to use both of her commander and her Idea Factory and creatures to not only create a lot of tokens, but to sacrifice them and create a massive army of tokens on the battlefield to overwhelm us with sheer force to the point that I had to be careful with attacking since I needed creatures to block them. Now, I only have a few wolves on the field and the two of them have an army of tokens and thieves. Not only that, but I had roughly two life while the two of them had about ten to twelve each.

And right now, it was Swift’s combat phase. “Okay, I will swing my commander at you. You would take two.”

“I block with one of my wolf tokens, so no damage taken this turn.”

“On your end step, I cast Infuriating Dissonance and you will be forced to mill eight cards.”

Oh for the love of-. If I don’t do anything now. This is… Oh, hold up. Wait a minute. This actually might be good this time.

“Alright. Oh and let me remind you that one of the cards that you had me put in my graveyard was Anger.”

Some of the people that were watching were now kind of excited at that as they whispered and spoke among themselves. However, Swift and Gizmo weren’t quite sure what that meant. “What the hay is Anger?”

“One of the creatures in my deck where the effect activates only when it’s in the graveyard. Something that I actually want to thank Swift for,” I grinned, “Because that means that all my creatures that I have and that I bring onto the battlefield have Haste.”

The shock on Swift’s face when he realized that was brief, but also priceless. For somepony who had a deck centered around milling cards, he didn’t seem to think that one such card could come back to bite him. Now it was my turn to see if I can come up with an answer to capitalize on this.

“Also, on your end-step, I’m going to crack the Evolving Wilds I placed down two turns ago and use that to put in a Forest. I’ll untap all my stuff and draw,” Only problem was that right now, I only had a few other creatures out right now, but not my commander. So, it couldn’t turn to night automatically. Instead, all I had was a couple of werewolves that couldn’t transform and in the current state they were in, it was going to be very difficult to find a counter for this.

Luckily, I just drew a card that could help me… if luck was on my side. “I’m going to start by playing a mountain and then tap four to cast Into the Night.”

“Wait, like the song on the radio thinga-majig?”

I had to resist the urge to facepalm at that as I let out a sigh. “Nope. Not even close. With this, it automatically becomes Night and I can discard any amount of cards that I have in my hand to draw new ones. I’m going to discard three.”

“And because of Honor Among Thieves, I get to draw three as well.”

Okay, I think I have a plan now. One creature, a sorcery and an instant. I think I know how to do this now.

“First off, because it’s night and my Huntmaster of the Fells transformed into Ravager of the Fells, it deals two damage to both you and a target. I’ll target one of Gizmo’s tokens for the target and Swift for the two. So that will bring you down to ten life. After that, I’m going to cast Hull Breach and target your Honor Among Thieves. Since it’s an enchantment, it gets destroyed.” Swift immediately looked at me with what could only be described as a ‘shocked pikachu face’ as he had to place it in his graveyard. But I wasn’t done yet. Not by a long shot, “Next, I’ll tap my Gruul signet, Sol Ring and a Forest to play Avabruck Caretaker. But since it’s night, she comes in as Hollowhenge Huntmaster. And because of her, all my creatures not only have their power and toughness increased by two each, but also have Hexproof. Making them untargetable by any spells or abilities.”

“Okay, but I got a whole army set up over here and you only have like… four werewolves. How does that help-?”

“Lastly, I tap the rest of my mana to cast Chain Reaction.”

“Oh shit! You had that in there?” I heard Ryan comment. “Where was that when I was still in the game?”

“Wait, doesn’t that harm your creatures too?” I heard Gizmo ask.

“It would. But because everything on my board has Hexproof now, it protects them from ANY spells, including my own. I have four creatures, Swift has three and how many do you have Gizmo?”

The unicorn, shocked by everything that was transpiring at first, before she gave me an answer. Though, I can tell that it was one that she didn’t want to admit. “T-twenty.”

“So twenty seven to all of your guys then.”

With that, everything on the other side of the board was cleared out and it left for me an opening to go all in. “Now to combat. Before we start, my Storm Charged Slasher’s effect kicks in and it boosts one of my creatures. I will place it on them and it’s power, along with the boost from Huntmaster, will have it be a 7/6 with Trample. Huntmaster herself is an 8/8. Terror of Kruin Pass is now 5/5 and Ravager of the Fells is a 6/6. I will send my first two at Swift and my last two at Gizmo.”

At first, I thought that either of them had something since they still had Mana up. But after the two of them looked towards one another, they both let out a sigh in defeat. “Guess that’s it, then,” Gizmo said, before I saw her ears twitch upward as she looked back at me, “That’s was fun… and the first time I ever lost.”

“Yeah, because you had some kind of idea as to how everypony else played back home,” Swift told her as he started to put his card deck away. “Still, that was an experience… and we seemed to draw quite a crowd too.”

At that point, everyone else that was around us was either minding their own business or doing the same thing we did where they found a couple of Equestrians and played a match or two. Honestly, I didn’t think that an idea I offered Gizmo and Swift just to pass the time would lead to… well, this.

Of course, that was when Gizmo asked me another question, “So, did you and Ryan want to play again? I mean… how long do we have until the shop closes?”

… Well, I guess we’re going to be here for a while.


Author's Note:

So, for this chapter, I decided to do something a bit unique with it. Instead of doing a chapter like the DND one where they talked about the similarities between a game on earth and one in Equestria, I thought that a chapter showcasing both games in action would be neat. So, I thought that the best example of this would be with the card game Magic- The Gathering. It's something that I have gotten into over the last few months alongside Dungeons & Dragons and I thought that writing something like this would be cool.

Of course, I didn't want to write a whole match, so I chose to work with a few different bits. Now, as for the cards, I did Gizmo and Swift's decks based on who they are as well as their backstories a bit. Gizmo being an inventor was pretty much an Artifact centered deck while Swift's was a Rogue Mill deck because of how he used to be a thief.

To go a bit further, here are the descriptions for the cards that I came up with for both Gizmo and Swift. Based on FanOfMostlyEverything's Friendship is Card Game blogs and using terms from MTG. The first set will be the cards Gizmo used while the second one will be Swift.


Bright Spark, the Brilliant- 2 UR
Legendary Realmwalker- Bright Spark
Unicorn Artificer

+1: Summon a 1/1 Colorless ‘Idea’ artifact creature token
+1: The next spell you cast will cost 1 less for each artifact creature you control as you cast it
-7: For each artifact you control, create a token that’s a duplicate of it. These tokens gain swiftness. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step.

Base Loyalty Counters- 4
Bright Spark, the Brilliant can be your Commander

'To make a possibility a reality is the most mesmerizing creation to ever exist.' -Bright Spark
-
Mystical Artificer - 1U
Creature- Unicorn Artificer

Artifact spells cost 1 less to cast
'The Greatest Craftsponies don't use tools at all, but solely rely on Mind and Magic'
1/2
-
Ikari Tinkerer- 2R
Creature- Earth Pony Inventor

When Ikari Tinkerer enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 colorless 'Concept' token with flying. All artifact creatures you control have Haste
'Think of the kind of advancements our work can create! Soon enough, we can create wings to visit our Pegasi friends in Cloudsdale.' -Ikari, the Earth Pony that attempted to fly
1/3
-
Soluna Band - 1
Artifact
Tap- Gain two uncolored mana

'The earliest artificers dedicated their greatest work to the Royal sisters, representing the sun and moon in perfect harmony'
-
Idea Factory- 1
Artifact
3- Untap Idea Factory
2- Tap. Create a 1/1 Colorless Concept Artifact token with flying
Tap. Sacrifice a Concept Token. Create x 1/1 Colorless Idea tokens, where X is equal to the highest number of creatures your opponent controls (Max 5).

'Welcome to the home of our great work. Here, we are hard at work to make dreams a reality!' -Tour Guide of Illuminous Idea Factory.
-
Magnifying Glass - 3
Artifact

Tap- Add 1 uncolored Mana
4, Tap- Investigate Create a Colorless Clue artifact token with the following: 2, Sacrifice this artifact, Draw a Card.

'When it comes to investigating strange things in Ponyville, always take it upon yourself to look at things a bit more closely'


Nimble Wing, The Rascal 3-BU
Legendary Creature- Pegasus Thief

Flying, Flash
When Nimble Wing, The Rascal deals combat damage, target a permanent in your opponent's graveyard and return to the battlefield under your control.
2BU- Target a thief you control, it gains Shadow until the end of your next turn. (Shadow: Can only block or be blocked by creatures with Shadow)

'You think you can catch me with sheer numbers? That's cute.' -Nimble Wing
-
Griffonstone Cloud Thief - 1U
Creature- Griffon Thief

Flying
When this card deals combat damage to a player, that player mills a card (Takes the top card from their library and places it in their graveyard)
When your opponent have eight or more cards in their graveyard, you may sacrifice this creature and draw a card

'In Griffonstone, you should always watch your head... as well as your coinpurse'
-
Aerial Dream-Thief - BU
Creature- Pegasus Thief

Flying, Flash
As long as your opponents have eight or more cards in their opponent's graveyard, Thief's you control gain +1/0
When one or more thieves you control deals combat damage to a player, that player mills two cards.

'Most of the victims that have everything taken from them don't even think that there could be somepony hiding in the clouds.'
-
Infiltration Briefing - 2U
Enchantment

When an opponent casts a spell, you may draw a card unless they pay 1 mana
'Planning and preparation before a heist not only let's you study what you want to know, but also need to know'
-
Honor Among Thieves- 3BU
Enchantment

On your upkeep, if you have three or more thieves under your control, they gain 2/1 and Menace until the end of turn. (Menace- Can't be blocked except by two or more creatures)
'Never forget about the code we follow. That separates our gang from the rest of the scoundrels in this city' -Nimble Wing
-
Infuriating Dissonance- 1U
Sorcery
Kicker- 3B

Each player mills 8 cards. If the spell was kicked instead, each opponent mills half of their library, rounded up.
'Okay, who the BUCK was the one that tripped the alarm!?' -Jade Clover
-
Temple of Deception
Land (Dual- BU)

Temple of Deception enters the battlefield tapped.
When Temple of Deception enters the battlefield, Scry 1 (Look at the top card of your deck. You can either keep at the top or place at the bottom)
Tap- Add one Blue or Black Mana


That's all I have for now. Until next time!
-Frost