• Published 23rd Nov 2020
  • 8,264 Views, 1,870 Comments

Magic Mirror On The Wall, Who Is Mightiest Of Them All? - Snakeskin Ducttape



Sunset Shimmer ends up at Hogwarts rather than the Equestria Girls world.

  • ...
10
 1,870
 8,264

Reflections in the Dark

Sunset woke up alone and without presents, on the local holiday of celebrating with family and friends, and receiving gifts.

It was the best morning she’d had in many moons.

She looked at the book which was still lying next to her pillow, and rested her hand on it.

It was back to being a very precious object, and Sunset languidly stretched in bed as she thought up ways to enchant the book to never be in danger.

She stepped out of her bed and out of her pyjamas, savoring how cozy the dorm was, and appreciating the presence of the fireplace. As she woke up from the slightly chilly air, she aimed her hand at the fireplace, collected some of the heat, and coated her uniform with it before slipping into the now warm clothes.

She set to wandering aimlessly through the corridors of the castle, savoring the refreshing feeling of the cold air on her face while she magically kept her clothes warm, a serene smile on her face as she let her subconsciousness process yesterday’s developments.

The saddle was back on Sunset Shimmer. Celestia had confirmed it: Alicornhood, eternity, was within her grasp.

Sunset paused. Something was missing about that.

… Ah yes, of course.

She stretched her arm out, and dramatically clenched her fist, shaking it slightly as she brought it to her face, a determined expression upon it.

AlicornhoodEternity... was within her grasp!

Much better.

Sunset let out a satisfied sigh before wandering on.

“There you are!”

Sunset almost jumped at the sound of Madam Pomfrey’s voice.

“Miss Shimmer!” she said, very loudly, as she stomped through the corridor towards Sunset. “Would you care to explain the rumors I’ve heard?”

Sunset’s mood fell. Had she missed a piece of bloodied bandage during her last visit to the hospital wing?

Just play it cool, she thought to herself.

“What rumors would that be?”

“That you willingly drank veritaserum!” Pomfrey demanded, coming up to Sunset and looking down at her.

Sunset internally let out a sigh of relief, and shrugged at the medical witch.

“Maybe you should bring it up with your colleagues who make false allegations towards me,” Sunset suggested.

“Oh I will, you can count on that,” Madam Pomfrey said, angrily. “And now, you are to come with me, or I shall see you restrained.”

“Fine, fine,” Sunset conceded, and marched after Madam Pomfrey, who marched at a breakneck pace. “Just take it easy. You’re making me, a minor who apparently needs medical attention, exert herself.”

“Then let that be a lesson!” Madam Pomfrey barked, although she gradually slowed down. “And you don’t need physical rest, you need the aftereffects of the potion neutralized.”

“There are aftereffects?” Sunset asked.

“There can be, and I’m not taking any chances. Some wizards and witches have trouble clearing out some of the components, increasing the risk of mis-medication in the future, and with your propensity for hospital visits, young miss, you will require a thorough scrubbing.”

“Hey, except for the thing with the troll, I’ve never actually needed to spend time here,” Sunset said, as they entered the hospital wing once again.

She strictly speaking didn’t need medical treatment that time either, just a lie down would have sufficed, but Sunset kept that to herself.

Madam Pomfrey stopped and let out a shivering sigh, and nursed her temples. “Trolls. First year students fighting trolls. Merlin, help me,” she said, and looked at Sunset, her shoulder slumping and her demeanor softening significantly. “Please, sit down.”

Sunset felt that was enough sass for now, and did as she was told, sitting on the edge of a hospital bed.

“So uh… what does this involve?” Sunset asked.

“Nothing to worry about,” Madam Pomfrey said, and brought a brown glass bottle up from a cart and placed it on the nightside table, as well as a small bowl with what looked like small tufts of hair.

She started carefully dropping individual pieces of hair into the bottle and gently shaking it around.

“So… humans can have trouble clearing out veritaserum?” she asked.

“Some, yes.”

“Well then, I shouldn’t–” Sunset said, with a confident smile, before stopping herself. “... Uhm… I shouldn’t skip out on that.”

Madam Pomfrey looked at Sunset with an eyebrow raised, and Sunset looked away sheepishly, her eyes wandered to the rows of books inside Madam Pomfrey’s office, visible through the window that made up an entire wall.

“So what you need to become a healer is in those books?” Sunset probed.

“Most of it,” Pomfrey said.

“That might be useful. Think I can take a look at those?”

“No. I’ll not have first years running around practicing medicine on each other.”

Madam Pomfrey finished up the simple concoction, and looked up to see Sunset with her wand out, levitating several large magnifying glasses from the small carts next to the bed, and a mirror, in order to read the titles on the books from where she sat.

“Medical… maladies… volume four,” she slowly read, squinting her eyes to see the distant font.

Sunset looked up at Madam Pomfrey, and sheepishly waved her wand again. “Crepinde,” she muttered, making the mirror and magnifying glasses float down to the floor.

Madam Pomfrey didn’t have the energy to scold Sunset anymore, and simply shook her head. “You are impossible,” she said, as she held out the bottle to Sunset.

“That’s good, isn’t it? It’s like the far opposite of being easy,” Sunset said, and took the bottle, emptying it in one swig, and then looking at it. “Hmm. That was better than I thought it would be. What is this?”

“Butterbeer,” Madam Pomfrey said. “Now you’d best get along to the feast.”

“Oh right, it’s rist… k-kist... mess… that thing,” Sunset said, and stood up. “Thanks again.”

Sunset heard the sound of another bottle opening as she rounded the corner.

The feast in the dining hall was honestly pretty much the same food as was always eaten during the dinner, only more kinds of meals at once, and a lot of it.

Then again, that’s how feasts worked in Equestria as well, with the general mood and energy helping with the general understanding that this was supposed to be an evening of much eating and quaffing, or as it often played out, stuffing and binging.

The Weasleys and Harry had all gathered in the middle of the Gryffindor table, somewhat reluctantly In Percy’s case, and everyone seemed very welcoming of Sunset.

It was rather nice, really, listening to Fred and George’s intentionally stupid-sounding laughs as they pulled at magical present-tube-things with spells on them to fit larger gifts than normally possible inside them.

With the food and drink, and the soothing development yesterday, Sunset drifted into a sort of haze of content-ness, like a budgerigar relaxing in the surrounding cacophony.

“Have one,” Fred said, and handed Sunset a present.

Sunset pulled it open, producing the same blast as the other ones, and found a set of bouncy balls with that increased velocity with each bounce.

Sunset raised her eyebrows at that, before hiding it away inside her robes. “Potent.”

She got a good few hours of studying in the common room, since Percy was up in the boys’ dorm and Harry and the rest of the Weasleys were out on the grounds, having a snowball fight.

After such a lazy day, Sunset was lying awake in bed, unable to sleep. Not that she minded. There were several days off left, and even if there weren’t, she only needed a fraction of her mental capacity to master spells.

The curtains of her bed facing the fireplace were drawn, and the cozy, orange fire chased away most of the wintery cold of the dorm, while leaving just enough to make it extra cozy to take shelter underneath her comforter.

She had to admit that while the curriculum was often so very simple, or useless, there must have been something that felt straining about her life at Hogwarts, as it was very nice to have a holiday.

The soothing calm was shattered by a blood-curdling scream.

Somewhere, in the distance, something very bad had just happened.

Sunset was out of the bed in less than a second, landing on her feet in a wide stance in her nightgown, as her comforter was still coming to rest behind her.

Her wand was in her hand and her nails were glowing, as she forced her adrenaline to focus her rational mind rather than her instincts.

The sound had come from another wing of the castle, but she had to be sure that it was not a distraction.

She leapt out of her room, and swooshed down the stairs in quick, bounding steps, wand raised high, and eyes and ears quickly scanning her surroundings.

The common room was empty and quiet in the low, red light of the ember in the fireplace, and she silently bounded up the stairs to the boys’ dorm.

The door quickly swung open, the wind from that scattering wrappings from presents and candies, as Sunset jumped in, head on a swivel.

But all was still, except for the snoring from Ronald, the volume of which was quite impressive for an eleven year old.

There was no Harry however.

Sunset narrowed her eyes as she thought, then cast an obfuscating spell on herself, before she vanished, and reappeared in the large hallway on the fifth floor of the wing the sound had come from.

The patter of quickly walking feet echoed from around the corner. By contrast, Sunset’s bare feet silently darted towards the sound, and came to a halt by a corner that she stopped by, and listened.

“You asked me to come directly to you, Professor, if anyone was wandering around at night, and somebody’s been in the library– Restricted Section,” said Filch, his usual cocktail of smells accompanied by Snape’s sour ones.

“The Restricted Section? Well, they can’t be far, we’ll catch them.”

They set off towards the corner Sunset was pressed against, but with them as focused as they were on their destination and fleeing or hiding shapes in the darkness, it was easy enough for Sunset to just relax, calmly lean against the wall, and watch them pass her by with a slightly amused expression, completely oblivious to her presence.

Sunset was calming down. The faculty was out patrolling, and as low as her opinion was on the particular specimen she just witnessed, she had to assume that they’d at least try to keep tragedies from happening.

Besides, if there was danger afoot, she’d obey the rule in this particular case and let those two walk into it first if they so wished.

When she paused to think about it though, she realized that it was probably just a student breaking curfew, and the scream had been an alarm.

… A part of Sunset felt strangely challenged by that.

She also suspected she knew which student.

To her amazement, she could feel Harry’s normally slightly nervous but mostly neutral scent, right from where Snape and Filch had just stood.

Carefully, she crept forward to the door that was only slightly ajar. She couldn’t help laughing to herself from Harry’s daring. Snape hated Harry, and Harry had been standing mere feet away from him, after curfew.

She pushed the door open ever so slightly, and there he was, looking at a mirror. He spun around with a shocked look on his face, and Sunset barely had the presence of mind to duck behind the corner.

He saw through her illusion that easily? That was impossible. Snape’s senses were as slippery as he himself looked, and even his perception could be grappled by Sunset. Perhaps Harry really was a force of nature, killing Dark Lords as a baby and all that.

“Mum?” she heard him whisper.

That was when Sunset realized what room she was standing outside. She peeked around the corner again, and saw him standing with a hand on the glass of that mirror, the one showing one’s true desires, looking up at, to Sunset, unseen figures standing behind him.

“Dad?”

Sunset’s mouth fell open slightly, as Harry slowly raised his other hand, and rested them both against the mirror’s glass.

She felt strangely humbled from standing there, witnessing this, before her shoulders sagged, and she slipped away, rounding another corner before vanishing in a flash, and reappearing beside her bed in the Gryffindor girls’ dormitory.

She slid into bed, adjusted her cover, and settled down to rest.

The coziness of the room was as glorious as ever, but it didn’t hold the same appeal it had done only moments before.

Sunset shut the curtains, turned over, and slowly fell asleep.

Sunset could hear Harry and Ron sneak out of Gryffindor tower the following night, but decided not to follow them.

She noticed that Harry’s mood was very muted, and since there were so few students in the common room, that really helped dampen the mood. He would be lost in thoughts most of the time, and barely touch his food.

“What do you think?” Fred asked in a low voice from the couch, glancing back at Harry sitting by himself. “Go fish.”

George put on the sou-wester and lowered a miniature fishing rod into an aquarium on the table to try and coax some cards swimming around in it to nibble at the hook.

“He’s obviously worried about his academic achievements,” Percy said, his nose deep in a book of ministers of magic.

“Mm, of course,” said George, not looking up. “That’s what orphans usually think about during Christmas time.”

Percy didn't look up either, but his face did turn slightly more red.

Sunset was curled up in an armchair next to them, reading the last parts of The Standard Book of Spells, volume 2, with the cover switched out with the previous volume.

“Have you noticed anything, Sunset?” Fred asked.

Sunset knew of his nightly excursions, but preferred not to lie unless necessary. “Hmm… some. Nothing interesting though.”

That night, she heard Harry make half an effort at sneaking down out of the tower, while she lay in bed, pondering.

A part of her simply shrugged and encouraged Sunset to roll over and fall asleep.

But Harry was making so much noise he was bound to get caught sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, why would she care? They weren’t friends, and even if they were, he'd be better off making other ones.

Though he might not be able to make friends if he was expelled.

Sunset threw off her covers, stepped into her fuzzy slippers, and teleported to an empty classroom a short distance from the room with the mirror.

She reckoned that she was probably not doing anyone any favours. At least if there’s any truth to the notion that a good deed is only a good deed if it’s a sacrifice.

Walking carefully up to the room with the mirror, Sunset paused when she heard voices.

She took a few quick steps forward, and like before, lurked outside the threshold and listened in. It was Headmaster Dumbledore, speaking in a calm voice.

“... However, this mirror gives us neither knowledge or truth. Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible.”

Sunset kept absolutely still.

“The Mirror will be moved to a new home tomorrow, Harry, and I ask you not to go looking for it again. If you ever do run across it, you will now be prepared. It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live, remember that.”

With a few steps around a corner and a flash, Sunset was back in the girls’ dorm in Gryffindor tower, where she slipped back into bed.

She didn’t sleep however, she just stared up at the bed canopy, without seeing it.

<<... It is possible. I will do it.>>

A few days into the new year, the student body came back, and took away the soothing solitude of the girls’ dorm.

“Hi, Sunset!” Lavender Brown said, during the evening meal. “How was your holiday? Did you do anything fun?”

“We visited Lavender’s parents,” Parvati said. “Their house is huge! And Mrs Brown works at the ministry, so we could do magic around her.”

“So what did you do? Anything exciting?”

Sunset was just looking at them, a bit of sandwich in her mouth. She had learned that it was best to until they were both quiet for a few seconds before answering, so you could be reasonably sure that the duo was actually waiting for an answer.

“Oh, nothing much I guess. I… studied.”

Finishing the spell-books for the following year and getting well into the second year of potins, but she kept that to herself.

“Wow, that’s great,” Parvati said, in a thick voice. “Did you spend your holiday at Hermione’s?”

“No? Why, what did she do?”

“She studied.”

Sunset had to admit that she walked into that, and looked over at Hermione, her head together with Ron and Harry in a conspiratorial manner.

“They’ve gotten chummy, haven’t they?” Lavender Brown. “I wonder what they’re whispering about.”

“Mm, sports?” Sunset suggested. “Harry plays, right?”

“He’s the chaser!” Parvati said, a little indignantly. “You know, on our team?”

"Seeker," Lavender said, under her breath.

Sunset just stared at her, confused. “You drink him?”

“What?”

“... Nevermind.”

Walking towards the library, Sunset drew nearer to a loud cackling echoing through the hallways.

She rounded the corner to see Malfoy and his… whatever they were, Crabbe and Goyle, laughing loudly.

“Did you see him?” Malfoy said, which Sunset felt was a bit redundant, as she could tell they clearly had. “He looked like he was gonna cry!”

Crabbe and Goyle let out that particular guffaw of someone who has the opportunity to both laugh at something they find genuinely funny, and score points with their superiors by doing so.

Sunset had heard this before. She reckoned that there was a two third’s chance that it would soon turn slightly awkward as all three of them tried to milk the opportunity just a little too long.

That turned out to not be the case though, as Malfoy turned to see Sunset walking in their general direction, and immediately stopped laughing.

Crabbe and Goyle immediately followed his example, and waited for orders from a slightly pink Malfoy.

After a short moment of doing a sort of mix between clearing his throat, trembling, pulsating, and fidgeting, he signalled to his cronies to lean in, before whispering something to them and sending them away.

They marched off while casting slightly dismayed and nervous glances behind them.

Malfoy managed to look preoccupied for a moment despite not doing anything as Sunset walked past him, and then hurried to catch up to her.

“Good day, Sunset,” he said, trying to seem formal. “Did you have a good holiday?”

“Hello, and…” Sunset paused as she thought about what day it was that she had finally made contact with Celestia. “... Yes, I did. How about you?”

“Well, you know, it was ordinary. We had some relatives over, had a large dinner, and the rest of the time I could just relax while our servant made sure I was comfortable. It can be quite demanding, you know, being the heir to an important house such as ours.”

“Mmhm, I can imagine,” Sunset said, while internally rolling her eyes.

She had come across people who tried to impress her before. Little lords and ladies with noble titles waiting for them many years into the future, flaunting their families’ manners and values, who wanted Sunset to accompany them so they could flaunt their mansions as well. Or sports brutes who accompanied her in vain attempts to hold open doors or whatever in ways that showed off maximum amount of muscles.

It hadn’t been too bad though. She wasn’t old enough to get that sort of attention very long before Cadence showed up, and almost all attention was aimed at Ms Perfect Pink Pretty Princess and her pristine, polished, plump posterior.

A concoction of emotions inside Sunset tried to stir, but that had currently settled into an almost tar-like substance, and only rumbled.

Halfway out of Sunset’s throat, a growl died down to a sigh. Everyone’s eyes had been on Cadence, and… that was a good thing. Sunset didn’t need attention, she only needed herself, and her mind. Cadence had unwittingly been doing her a favor if anything.

“...lo? Sunset?”

Sunset almost jumped when she remembered where she was, and what she was. She looked at Draco’s worried and uncertain face, and realized that she was scowling ever so slightly, which was probably in many ways worse than a loud snarl and bared teeth.

She apologetically relaxed her expression, and glanced away. “Sorry, I was… miles away.”

A part of Sunset had caught a scent it knew it wanted more of, while other parts of her were wrestling the first part down, and firmly held Sunset’s face in both hands and told her that she had given that up. There was dignity and wisdom in detachment.

“That’s uh… that’s okay. So… what about it? I’ll be on the rightmost side of the Slytherin stands, and we can watch the match together?”

Dignity and wisdom. Prudence. Discipline. Worthiness. Authority. Strength. Self-sufficiency. Cunning. Mystique. Impressiveness.

“... Sure.”

Malfoy smiled, widely, and stepped back, his expression turning nervous. “Alright, great. I’ll… see you then,” he said, then turned around and hurried off.

Sunset was left standing in the corridor outside the library, not remembering why she was even there, and turned around and thumped her head hard against the stone wall.

<<... Stupid!>>

Author's Note:

Brought to you by Raid: Shadow Legends :trollestia:

Well here it is. This is what I was trying to write on while working the most intense job I've ever had, which I'm guessing had been authorized to suspend at least a dozen workplace and labour regulations.

I'unno. I guess it was okay. For there to be stronger chapters, there has to be weaker ones, or maybe the constant stop-and-start of how I tried writing this wasn't doing it any favour, or... maybe I'm just running out of ideas. I hope it's not the latter one.

I still hope you enjoyed it.