• Published 23rd Nov 2020
  • 8,202 Views, 1,869 Comments

Magic Mirror On The Wall, Who Is Mightiest Of Them All? - Snakeskin Ducttape



Sunset Shimmer ends up at Hogwarts rather than the Equestria Girls world.

  • ...
10
 1,869
 8,202

Back To Basics

Author's Note:

Alright, some author's notes here. I just want to point out that I decided to try out Rowling's quasi-montage style of writing, and I'm not sure the results are stellar. I might change back to something closer to my style later. Hope you'll enjoy it regardless.

Sunset’s jerked her head up from her pillow mid-snore, as the sunlight spilled in through the room. <<Wuh? Turnips,>> she said in Equestrian, before realizing where she was and what she was.

She stumbled out of bed, with Hermione being the only other one up yet, all the other girls were still sleeping or groaning in protest at the early hour.

Sunset knew however, that morning came whether she wished it or not. She knew that because she had asked the actual mover of the sun several times to make it come up later, but to no avail. If anything she suspected that Celestia raised it sooner every time she asked.

“You’re going to get sores, sleeping in your clothes like that,” Hermione pointed out, as Sunset stumbled across the room.

She aimed one eye, shortly followed by the other, to see that Hermione seemed to be wearing some sort of special sleeping getup.

“... ‘Mmma ge’ one a’ that,” Sunset mumbled, stumbling out of the door, registering that Hermione asked what she said but forgetting the answering part.

Sunset found herself waking up more and more as she walked down the corridors to the great hall for breakfast, yawning and stretching on the way.

She sat down with a thump next to Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, and reached for some cereals. “Morning.”

“Morning,” they both said in response, before going back to whatever they had been talking about.

Apparently, Harry had a lot of questions about magic, which Ron answered as best as he could, which was kind of lackluster. Sunset didn’t blame him. He wasn’t educated yet, after all.

“Did you see him? The boy with black hair?” some girl asked as some people walked past.

Harry himself just stared down on his plate, taking a deep breath.

“Hey,” Sunset said to him, and held out her hand to him and Ron in greeting. “Sunset Shimmer.”

“Harry Potter.”

“Ron Weasley.”

“I saw you a few days ago in The Leaky Cauldron and Diagon Alley,” Sunset noted to Harry. “You were with the groundskeeper, Rubeus Hagrid.”

Harry stared at her for a moment, before he recognised her. “And I saw you in Flourish and Blotts. You know Hagrid then?”

“Not as such, I’ve only met him shortly. So you’ve defeated some really powerful wizards then?”

Harry scoffed, but in a nervous way. “That’s what everyone says. I don’t remember. And it was just one.”

Sunset didn’t know if she was relieved or disappointed. “Oh. Well, if you figure out how you did it, please don’t try it on me.”

“I uh… I don’t think defeating powerful wizards is something any of us can do just yet,” Harry nervously offered.

“Speak for yourself. Oh well, hopefully they’ll teach us how to do it properly around here.”

“I wish I had her confidence,” Ron muttered to Harry, as Sunset emptied a pot of coffee, and set to reading her transfiguration book.

When classes rolled around, it was time for Transfiguration. Sunset’s view on McGonagall hadn’t changed, she was strict and punitive for no apparent reason, meaning it was because she enjoyed it.

All Sunset needed was to keep her head down and focus on learning, and finally she was supposed to learn wanded magic. From a teacher that is, she had already practiced some on her own.

It was to her disappointment that their first task was to transform a matchstick into a needle.

McGonagall doled out a pack of matches for each student, who set to waving their wands at it and speaking magic words.

Sunset looked around, to see that everyone was busy with their own stuff, and, just to experiment, she poked at it with her index finger, the nail of which was glowing teal.

It immediately changed shape, which no one had managed yet with their wands. Only Hermione’s were slowly changing with each more concentrated and deliberate casting.

Sunset picked up her wand. If she wanted to not draw attention to herself, she would do the motion, and speak the words.

She had to stop when she got halfway through the motion though, as she felt the magic course through her, but it wasn’t quite how she was used to it.

It took a few attempts of slower and slower casting, but Sunset felt she started to understand enough to form a preliminary hypothesis.

Wand magic didn’t use her magic, it used magic around her, plucked it from around her and gave her limited control over it through the spell.

If that was the case, wand magic could be interesting indeed. It would have severe limitations, such as needing highly specialized formulas for even minor magic spells, as well as all the variations, but it seemed to Sunset that it would function as a very efficient equalizer, enabling those with little magic, or much magic but little control over it, to use cast powerful and sophisticated spells, at the expense of difficulty to learn.

It was a preliminary hypothesis, but, intrigued, Sunset silently cast the complete version of the spell, the mechanics of which she has been studying all this time, on a matchstick, turning it into a needle.

McGonagall hovered between the students, observing and measuring with a strictly neutral face. When she reached Sunset’s place, Sunset quickly shoved the two needles under her box of matches to hide it, and pretended to struggle with no results on her next one.

McGonagall wasn't to be fooled though. She slid the box to the side, and saw the needles underneath. Sunset looked up at her with an innocent face and shrugged.

“... Five points for Gryffindor,” she said, to Sunset’s desperate negatory waving and hissing.

Some of the students looked at her, confused, but didn’t seem to have heard McGonagall’s doling out of points.

Except for Neville, who looked at her in amazement.

“How did you do that?” he asked in a quiet voice.

Sunset groaned internally. Oh well, at least Neville was already aware that she could cast spells silently.

“Ehm…magic?”

Neville started paying close attention to Sunset, to try and notice her secret. It proved a bit of a problem for Sunset, who tried wandering the castle, getting a feel for activity and hiding places as she looked for good teleportation-spots.

And at lunch came one of the great challenges for Sunset. This time, she was sitting in the great hall, when students from all years started pouring into the great hall at irregular intervals, and Sunset saw what so many of the girls were wearing.

Leggings, and thigh high socks, everywhere.

She stared down at her warm porridge, wishing it was ice cold.

Charms were similarly tricky to Transfiguration. Sunset made the mistake of thinking about the levitation charm they were learning while her wand was lying next to her on the table, sending a whole sack of feathers that Flitwick had brought into the air as she cussed under her breath.

None of the other students could figure out what happened, but Flitwick glanced at Sunset with amused suspicion.

Luckily, Defence Against the Dark Arts was, as of yet, strictly theoretical, although it also meant it was utterly boring, just like Magical History, and neither raw magical power, nor skill at spell-slinging, helped when it came to Herbology.

Then came Potions.

Sunset had been annoyed at Professor Quirrell, the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, for being a poor teacher, wasting her time. That paled in comparison to Snape, the Potions teacher, who was outright hostile to Sunset’s academic pursuits, as well as anyone else’s.

At first, Sunset had been glad that Harry Potter was so famous and drawing the teachers’ attention, but she made an exception for Snape, who raised her hackles so much she had bring up her potions books and focus on reading it to keep herself from walking up to Snape and flatten his nose across his face.

Which she strongly suspected she’d be able to. Sunset had noticed that her general pony magic, as distinct from her unicorn magic specifically, was something she had kept as a human. She hadn’t managed to get a precise comparison yet, but it was clear that other humans would not have been able to pick up two other humans at the same time and swing them by their legs and throw them across the great hall, and that they would likely not be able to shrug off the experience very easily.

Regardless, Snape did let up on his oh so drawn out mockery of Harry and they could get to working on some potions, finally.

Sunset had been looking forward to this, as potion making wasn’t something she had studied very closely at Canterlot, but Snape made it very hard to concentrate. She figured she’d have to practice on her own in her spare time.

“Shimmer!” Snape barked. “You will pay attention to me when I speak!”

Sunset stopped focusing on her potion- something Snape had been very adamant about how you shouldn’t do, especially since she had been the odd one out and wasn’t paired up with anyone- to compliment Draco Malfoy’s slug in front of the entire class.

Luckily, or perhaps unluckily, Sunset’s potion survived the lapse of focus. She would have liked a reason for Snape to criticize her for something he had ordered her to. That would be an interesting letter to send to the school board.

Neville and Seamus weren’t so lucky though. Their cauldron melted, and sent a corrosive liquid all over the floor, burning people’s shoes.

Sunset simply lifted her feet and continued working.

Snape redirected the blame onto Harry though, which was both unbelievable and expected at the same time, and Sunset hadn’t even been in the same room as Snape for an hour.

She could have said loudly that it was not only poor behavior from a teacher, or any professional, or any adult really, but that this was grounds for an evaluation by an education inspector… but she didn’t.

<<Lay low. Don’t draw any attention to yourself,>> she mumbled.

In the end, Sunset’s potion was adequate. Not quite as good as Hermione’s, but close enough. At least to herself, she ignored Snape and didn’t register what he said about it.

Sunset planned on going up to the owlery and send a request to Madam Malkins, asking for a catalogue to order some sleepwear through, but put that off for later and went back to the Gryffindor dormitories, climbing the stairs, and collapsing on the bed.

All the other girls were out at the moment, so Sunset was left alone with her thoughts.

The verdict was in: McGonagall was competent and knowledgeable, while Flitwick and Pomona Sprout were kind, helpful, and knowledgeable. Quirrell was a useless lump, Binns was a waste of time, and Snape was a… Sunset didn’t even know the words.

It was so much better In Canterlot. At least it used to be, before Cadence came along and demanded all of Celestia’s attention.

Celestia knew everything, and she was kind, and funny, and helpful, and encouraging, and on some evenings, she and Sunset would curl up under a blanket in front of the fireplace with a big chocolate cake and… and…

The tears were flowing freely down Sunset’s face.

What was she doing here? Why did she ever leave? Her tower, her library, the beautiful sights of Canterlot spread out before her, and the castle gardens, and the kitchen, and the royal guards who spoiled her and…

… She had been happy before she saw that mirror, but what she saw in there could not be unseen.

Would she leave all over again if she was back in Canterlot?

Yes. The call of ascension was not something Sunset could ignore. She wouldn’t be herself if she did.

But she still missed Canterlot.

She rose up and walked over to a window, looked down at the edge of the forest, and saw that no one else was within sight.

With a small flash, she teleported down behind a tree, and stepped out to walk along the edge of the forest, lost in somber thoughts.

“Shimmer?” a gruff voice said.

Sunset turned and saw the giant shape of the groundskeeper, holding a giant axe, and realized she had wandered all the way to his house. “Oh. Hello, Mister Hagrid.”

“Somethin’ the matter?” he asked, with a worried look on his face, and Sunset realized he could probably tell she had been crying. “Homesick?”

In a sense, that was exactly it. An eleven year old child, or older child for that matter would say no and mean yes, not wanting to appear weak or immature. Sunset found that she didn’t care, and sighed. “Yes.”

“Well, need some firewood, and then I’ll put the kettle on. Yer classmate, Harry, is comin’ over fer some tea. Perhaps you’d like some too?”

Their presences would pale to Celestia’s but…

Sunset growled at herself, and sighed, before looking up at Hagrid.

“... Sure. Thank you, Mister Hagrid.”

“Oh, just Hagrid will do. Now just gimme a minute, I’ll be done right quick,” he said, and lifted up an entire trunk and placed on a wide stump.

He didn’t get the chance to use it though, as Sunset stepped up and gently pulled the axe away from him, and he stepped back with an amused expression, and then further back when Sunset started swinging.

<<Stupid, stupid, STUPID!>> she roared at herself, as she hacked the trunk into smaller and smaller pieces. <<Why- did- you- leave, you- dumb- goat!?>>

After the trunk was in pieces slightly too small for proper firewood, Sunset stopped, and stood there, panting, until she felt a giant hand on her shoulder.

“All better?”

She nodded, and took a few calming breaths.

“Got quite an arm on ye there,” Hagrid said, looking at the destruction around him, and bending down to pick up the pieces.

“Well… yeah. Whatever,” Sunset said, then shrugged, and helped him collect the firewood before he invited her into his house.

Hagrid’s house was more like a giant hut, with one big room in it, drying meat hanging from the ceiling, big and sturdy furniture, and a boarhound who obviously thought Sunset’s face was delicious.

“No, Fang!” Hagrid said, as he tossed some of the firewood Sunset had just chopped onto the embers in the fireplace and then hung the kettle over it. “You tell me if he’s botherin’ ya, ye hear?”

“It’s okay,” Sunset said, and pulled Fang up onto the couch and held him. She’d magic the slobber away later.

“So what’s botherin’ ya?” Hagrid asked.

Sunset sat in silence for a moment, with Fang becoming a little uneasy at being held like he was, which was all part of Sunset’s nefarious scheme of revenge.

“... I don’t know,” Sunset said, staring into the fire.

“Well somethin’s botherin’ ya.”

“I guess.”

“Don’t ‘ave t’ tell me, but it don’t do no good just dwellin’ on it.”

“Mmm.”

“Also, Fang’s gettin’ a little worried there.”

“Mmm. He shouldn’t have licked my face then,” Sunset said, making Hagrid chuckle.

There was a knock on the door, making Fang break free as new targets became available. Harry Potter and Ron Weasley.

They settled down and talked about their first week there, and the rest of the staff.

Apparently no one there liked Mrs Norris, the cat of Filch the caretaker, who had indeed stalked Sunset as she walked around and looked for good teleportation spots, out of sight of the paintings and hopefully the ghosts too, since the native kind of teleportation didn’t work in Hogwarts.

Filch had indeed thrown Sunset some pretty suspicious glares when Sunset had shaken Mrs Norris by teleporting a few floors away.

Hagrid didn’t act convinced that Snape hated Harry though, but Sunset strongly suspected that it was because while he was fine with agreeing that Filch was just a pain in the flank, extending that to a teacher was a little too inappropriate.

Sunset knew that sitting here greatly increased the risks of developing… camaraderie, even friendship, but… she supposed it had to happen eventually. At least this way she was ready for it.

“Hey, sorry for ignoring Snape when he harasses you,” Sunset said to Harry, on their way back up to the castle.

“Don’t worry about it, no one else is doing anything. No one can do anything.”

<<... If you only knew,>> Sunset muttered to herself.

Sunset had already decided that Quidditch was not for her long before she even got to Hogwarts.

If she wasn't any good at it, it would be a waste of time pursuing it. If she was good at it, it could draw attention to her, and in either case it would be a distraction.

Still, flying broomsticks was on the curriculum, she might as well learn that.

In the morning, the usual swarm of owls came down to land on the breakfast table, which Sunset questioned the cleanliness of, but most of them were well-mannered.

She paid her owl the postage for getting a catalogue sent to her, and Neville got a glass sphere with a white smoke in it from Augusta.

“It’s a remembrall!” he said, and explained that the smoke in it turned red when you’ve forgotten something, which it did halfway through the explanation.

Sunset rolled her eyes. Not at Neville, but at the concept. Everything in this world had to be magical, even things that were more easily solved by a notebook and a pencil.

“How pedantic is that thing?” she asked. “Does it stay red until further notice? Like, if you forget something unimportant that you never take care of, does it turn useless?”

That was when Draco Malfoy walked by and snatched it up, looking really pleased with himself.

Ron and Harry jumped up, and Sunset was almost disappointed that McGonagall was there immediately to prevent anything from happening, because Sunset suspected that since they didn’t know any real magic yet, it might mostly look like a pair of sea lions puffing their chests out and blaring at each other.

In the afternoon, Sunset stood with the rest of Gryffindor’s and Slytherin’s first-years stood outside the castle, with brooms neatly laid out on the ground for all of them.

“Well, what are you waiting for?” Madam Hooch, who looked like an old gryphon, said. “Everyone stand by a broomstick. Come on, Hurry up.”

Sunset was skeptical. She was all about flying, she had sworn to herself that she would fly, but not like this.

“Stick out your right hand over your brom, and say, ‘UP!’”

“UP!”

Harry’s shot right up into his hand, but few others managed it. Ron and Malfoy were slightly behind, while Sunset’s waited for a moment before it reluctantly floated into her hand.

When everyone had their brooms in hand, and Madam Hooch had instructed on how to hold it, and corrected Malfoy, she told everyone to kick off, fly a few feet and then come back down again.

Sunset wondered how much magical control and power had to do with it, because Neville clearly wasn’t in control of his broom.

Before anyone else had kicked off, he started floating up into the air, swaying back and forth, higher and higher.

“Come back, boy!” Madam Hooch shouted, sternly.

Very reluctantly, Sunset prepared herself to cushion his fall magically, but she didn’t get the chance to. As predicted, Neville slid off, and fell towards the ground.

The thing was that between Neville and the ground stood Sunset.

<<Oh, manure.>>

She held out her arms to try and catch him, but was off by just a few inches, and ended up with him right on top of her, his wrist striking her head and producing a worrying ‘crack’, and hammering them both to the ground.

“Come on, move over. That’s it,” Sunset heard Madam Hooch said, as a pained-sounding Neville was pulled off from, and she sat up, and looked over to Neville with a worried face.

She didn’t get much of a chance though, as Madam Hooch grabbed her by her cheeks to hold her still as she looked into her eyes.

“How are you feeling?” she asked, urgently.

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” she assured her. “I think Neville is worse off.”

Madam Hooch took another moment to make sure Sunset didn’t suddenly have a seizure, or something, then turned her attention to Neville.

“Broken wrist. Come on, boy, it’s all right, up you get. You too, Miss Shimmer.”

“I’m fine, really.”

“It doesn’t matter, you’re going to the hospital wing. As for the rest of you, leave those brooms where they are or you’ll be out of Hogwarts before you can say ‘Quidditch’. Come on, dear.”

Sunset didn’t really care for the idea of broomstick flying anyway, so it was all the same for her.

“Sorry, Neville,” she said, a little weakly, but he just whimpered in response.

When they got to the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey marched out of her office.

“What seems to be the problem?” she asked loudly as she approached.

“Mister Longbottom fell off his broom and landed on Miss Shimmer here,” Madam Hooch said, and gently led Neville over to a cot that Madam Pomfrey indicated.

“Lie down here, good lad. Miss Shimmer, how do you feel?”

“Fine, really,” Sunset said.

“Well, sit down anyway. How far up was he when he fell?”

“Twenty feet,” Madam Hooch said.

“I see.” Madam Pomfrey pulled out her wand and aimed it at Neville’s arm. After a few seconds, he stopped crying, looking at his wrist in astonishment, and flexing the fingers, before Madam Pomfrey stopped him.

“Now you just lie down there and rest, you hear? And don’t exert yourself while I’ll check on Miss Shimmer.”

She walked up to Sunset and aimed her wand at her eyes, shining a bright light at her.

“I didn’t tell you to stay out of trouble when you left last time, Miss Shimmer, but I feel it was strongly implied.”

“It couldn’t be helped.”

“I’m sure. Well, either you’re lucky, or you’re made of pretty sturdy stuff. Still, I’d like you to stay here for a few hours.” Pomfrey turned to Madam Hooch. “Thank you, Rolanda. I’ll take it from here.”

Madam Hooch nodded, and briskly walked out.

A further quick inspection of them both, and Pomfrey was satisfied they wouldn’t spontaneously pass away on the spot.

“Wish I had a book so I could study a little. I don’t suppose you could lend me one of your medical books?” Sunset asked Pomfrey.

“No, and there will be no wand waving in the hospital wing,” she said, sternly. “Now rest.”

“Oh well,” Sunset said, as Pomfrey walked back into her office.

“... Hey, sorry for landing on your head.”

“Eh, don’t worry about it. Sorry for putting the strongest part of my skeleton against your wrist.”

“Uhm… that’s okay.

“Wait… you’ve never been to the hospital wing before,” Neville eventually pointed out, but Sunset just had to smile apologetically at him, before settling in with her hands behind her neck to wait.

It wasn’t until the sun was starting to set that Madam Pomfrey let them go, saying they’d have time to get back to their common room in time for curfew.

That didn’t matter, because the fat lady had quit early that day it seemed.

“Great,” Sunset muttered at the painting of an empty sitting room.

“What do we do now?” Neville asked, scared, looking around in the darkness, as the sun had set during their trek from the hospital wing.

“I’dunno,” Sunset said, shrugging. “Break in? Climb a window? Ask a teacher?”

“We can’t break in! And we can’t be seen by a teacher, we’re out past curfew! We’ll be expelled!”

“If they want to punish us for their own faulty arrangement, I want them to find us,” Sunset said, who had been spoiling for a fight, even a verbal one, since Snape first opened his mouth.

“Hmm. Alright, I’m going up to the owlery, and send one of the owls over to someone in there to get them to open up for us.”

Neville’s eyes lit up. “That's a great idea!”

“Alright, you stay here, and then let me in when I come back.”

Neville’s smile melted away.

“Don’t leave me here!”

“Then come with me.”

“B… but what if… Professor Snape…”

Sunset looked around, and shrugged in frustration. Even in the dark of night, this place wasn’t the least bit scary. Even the undead weren’t dangerous around here.

But Neville’s scared face, and more tellingly, his scared scent, softened Sunset.

“... Alright, fine,” she said, and sat down, leaning against the wall. “We’ll wait here. Who knows, maybe we’re not the only Gryffindor rule breakers tonight?”

A grateful Neville sat down next to Sunset, giving off a nervous scent.

“... Show me your wand form,” Sunset said.

“W- what?”

“Your wand, take it out and show me a spell. Show me lumos.”

“B- but I don’t know that one.”

“This is what we call practice, Neville. Now go on.”

Neville pulled out his wand, a bit reluctantly, and held it out in front of him.

“It’s a lighting spell, Neville. Come on, ‘lumos’.”

“Lumos.”

Nothing happened.

“Go on, again, and focus.”

“Lumos.”

Nothing.

“Are you sure it’s the right one?”

Sunset pulled out her own wand, and said, “lumos,” lighting up the entire hallway as though with an arena light.

“Wow,” Neville said, before Sunset dismissed it with the opposite, ‘nox’.

“How do you and Hermione know so much magic?”

“I can only speak for myself, but I’ve practiced, and I’m guessing she has too.”

“How much?” Neville asked, almost despairingly.

This wasn’t going where Sunset wanted it to. “As much as I can, but don’t worry about that. Go on, again, ‘lumos’.”

“Lumos.”

Still nothing.

Neville let his wand hand fall to his side. “It’s no use. I’ll never be as good as you with magic.”

“Who cares?” Sunset said, making Neville look up at her, confused.

“Look, nevermind what I’m doing, focus on what you’re doing. Do it again.”

Neville tried again, but with no result.

“Good,” Sunset said.

Neville glanced at her, confused. “What do you mean, ‘good’? Nothing happened.”

“You practiced. That’s good.”

Neville sighed, and put his wand away. “It doesn’t feel good.”

“It will when you get results,” Sunset assured him.

“But it takes forever,” Neville complained.

“Well, what else are you going to do for seven years?” Sunset said. “Besides, you have more than seven years. People don’t stop practising when they leave school.”

Neville gave a non-commital grunt. “But you’re much more talented than I am.”

Sunset sighed. <<Probably…>> “Maybe at some things, but you’re the best at herbology.”

“What is that? You talk in another language sometimes.”

Sunset shrugged. “Sorry, that’s enough about me for now. I’m gonna get some shuteye.”

“... Alright.”

Neville sat there in the darkness for a moment, before glancing sideways at Sunset.

To his amazement, she had already fallen asleep, resting her forehead on her knees.

Sunset woke up to an argument in the night, and nudged Neville awake.

Ron, Harry, and Hermione, all dressed in pyjamas and dressing gowns, were standing in the dark, and having a hissed argument about something.

“Wha- what’s going...ooo- on?” Sunset asked, yawning, and stood up.

“Wha- what are you two doing here?” Hermione asked. “Weren’t you in the hospital wing?”

“Oh yeah, how are you?” Harry asked.

“Fine. Madam Pomfrey fixed up my arm right away,” Neville said.

“And you?” Hermione asked Sunset, who just shrugged.

“I didn’t need to be there, I was just dragged there, and then the fat lady was gone by the time we got back here.”

“Well she’s still missing,” Hermione said, staring angrily at the painting.

“Alright, look, we’ve got somewhere we need to be. We’ll see you later,” Harry said.

“Don’t leave us!” Neville said, and turned to Sunset. “Sunset! Don’t let them go!”

“Well, alright,” she said, and started following them, with Neville nervously following behind. She most of all wanted to go to bed but with the choice between uncomfortable and bored, and uncomfortable and seeing what the hay these clowns were up to, she’d pick the latter.

“If any of you get us caught, I’ll never rest until I’ve learnt that Curse of the Bogies Quirrell told us about and used it on you.”

Harry cut Hermione off from her instructions on how to use that, and gestured for them to follow.

By now, the moon had come out, and was casting interesting shadows through the high windows onto the suits of armor and paintings with sleeping painting-people in them.

Harry and Ron were at the front, and Neville and Hermione were in the middle, all hunched over as they silently crept along, with Sunset bringing up the rear, strolling along normally. She wasn’t very worried, as she couldn’t hear or smell anything other than her classmates ahead of her.

They went up a staircase to the third floor, and snuck into the trophy room, which Sunset knew as a poor teleportation spot.

“What are you even doing?” she asked Ron, who hushed angrily at her.

“We’re going to fight Draco Malfoy,” he whispered. “He’s challenged Harry to a duel.”

“The weird rich kid in Slytherin? What for?” Sunset said, humoring him by whispering too.

“Because he’s a git!”

“So why here, and in the middle of the night? Why not just blast him out on the grounds if he’s up for it?”

“I can’t believe it!” Hermione angrily hissed. “Is everyone in our entire house set on breaking the rules, or is it just our year?”

“He’s the one who picked the time and place,” Harry protested.

“That’s not an excuse!”

“Just so you know, there’s a smelly old man out in the corridor,” Sunset noted, nodding at the door on the far side of the room.

They all looked at Sunset as if she had declared the sun to be purple, before they heard a voice. It was Mister Filch and Mrs Norris.

“Sniff around, my sweet, they might be lurking in a corner.”

Their eyes shot up, and Harry waved at them to get out of there. They all crept as quickly as possible out the nearest exit, into a corridor with suits of armor lining the halls.

“This way,” Harry mouthed, and they crept along the corridor.

Neville couldn’t take the pressure though. He yelped in terror at the sound of Filch coming nearer, and broke into a run, which lasted about one second before he slammed into Ron, sending them both flying into a suit of armor.

Sunset had to squint as the deafening sound of a collapsing set of armor echoed through the whole castle, and possibly to the nearby village.

“Run!” Harry yelled, and Sunset had to grab Neville and Ron by their collars and drag them until they got their bearings enough to run on their own.

As they ripped through a tapestry, Sunset had to admit that this was rather fun, and with very little risk. If push came to shove, she could just vanish on the spot to just about anywhere else in the castle, most appropriately the Gryffindor common room, and go straight to bed.

Of course, she might feel bad about leaving her classmates there, so the question became whether she should bring them along or not.

After running through enough corridors and hidden passages, they found themselves outside the charms corridor.

“I think we’ve lost him,” Harry gasped, leaning against a wall at a T-intersection.

“I… told… you,” Hermione gasped, clutching her side and wheezing. “Malfoy tricked you, you realize that, don’t you? He was never going to meet you. Filch knew someone was going to be in the trophy room, Malfoy must have tipped him off.”

“We’ve got to get back to Gryffindor Tower, quickly as possible,” Ron said.

“If Malfoy told Filch who was going to be in the trophy room, Filch knows we’re going to Gryffindor Tower and he'll be waiting for us somewhere, so slowly and carefully might be better than as quickly as possible,” Sunset noted.

“Alright, fine, good plan,” Ron admitted. “Let’s go.”

They were just about to, when a nearby door handle rattled, and Peeved started floating through the door.

Sunset grabbed the others, and threw herself down the intersection, out of view of Peeves, making them yelp in alarm.

“Oh? Who’s the-ere?” Peeves sing-songed.

“Go,” she whispered at them, and lifted them up again, running down the hallway.

“Students out of bed? Naughty naughty…” they heard Peeves continue behind them as they raced around another corner.

“This way!” Harry hissed, and they raced down the corridors in an attempt to lose Peeves.

Suddenly, they came to a halt in front of a pair of glowing eyes at another T-intersection. Mrs. Norris was looking straight at them, before turning around and running to the right.

“She’s gonna get Filch,” Neville groaned.

“Back! Back!” Harry hissed.

“No,” Sunset said, a delighted look on her face from the excitement. “He’s not here yet. Let her run away, and we’ll go to the left.”

“How do you know he’s not here?” Ron demanded.

“Because his smell is always at least two hallways ahead of him? Seriously, can’t you tell?”

“No? I mean, I know he smells bad, but…”

“Whatever, let’s go.”

They darted down the opposite way that Mrs. Norris had gone, before coming to a halt, Harry and Ron letting out the same expletive as they saw Peeves in the distance, and threw themselves down a side passage, Ron’s robe catching on a gauntlet of a suit of armor, and pulled at it as he ran.

The suit momentarily lost the grip of his halberd, and loudly clinked the suit next to it with it, making the second armor turn his helmet to the first one with a metallic groan, looking affronted.

“Oooooh!” they heard Peeves say, delighted, down the corridor, and they ran to the end of the passage, into a locked door, smelling of wet dog.

Ron’s face was an illustration of despair. “This is it! We’re done for! This is the end.”

“Oh, move over,” Hermione grunted in frustration, grabbed Harry’s wand, and whispered, “Alohomora!”

It was just in time, as they piled through the door as it opened and shut it.

“Just stay quiet,” whispered Harry, as they pressed their ears towards the door and concentrated.

“Oh where are you, little students?” They heard Peeves call mockingly out in the corridor. “You, did you see any ickie students here?”

They heard more groans of suits of armor either nodding, or shaking their heads.

“Well, where?”

More metallic sounds, before Peeves grunted in frustration, presumably at some very unhelpful instructions.

“Fine! I’ll remember this!” he shouted, floating away.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione let out a collective sigh of relief.

“I think we’ll be okay. Get off, Neville! What!?”

Neville pointed at something behind them, and Sunset realized that they were in the third floor corridor, and why it smelled of wet canine.

And inside that corridor was a giant, three-headed, gargantuan dog, all the heads of which were sniffing and looking at them.

<<Cerberus?>> Sunset asked, astonished.

This wasn’t good, although it didn’t change her plans much. They would flee on foot, or Sunset would grab them and teleport out of there, dealing with the fallout of that at another time, because Cerberus was not to be meddled with.

Sunset would probably be able to take on the guardian of Tartarus if fully prepared and there wasn’t a risk of collateral damage, but it would have been a proper battle, which she didn’t feel like at the moment.

Harry fumbled at the doorknob, and pulled them all backward, falling out into the corridor, and Harry quickly stood up and slammed the door shut, before the rest stumbled to their feet, and raced down the corridor.

“What was that!?” Ron said loudly, before Harry and Hermione shushed him up.

“And we still need to get back,” Hermione said, her heart beating loudly.

Sunset looked around, and through a window, on the other side of the courtyard, she saw an orange light making its way down another corridor. Filch, with a lantern.

“There.” She pointed at the light. “If we hurry, we can beat him to the stairs to the entrance hall, and get to Gryffindor tower before he notices anything.”

Even the still stunned-looking Neville nodded, and they set off at top speed across the castle.

“Where on earth have you all been?” the Fat Lady asked, as they reached the end of the corridor on the seventh floor.

“Never mind that! Pig snout, pig snout!” Harry panted, and the portrait swung forward.

They stumbled into the common room, panting and wheezing. Even Sunset was a little out of breath.

“What do they think they’re doing, keeping a thing like that locked up on a school?” Ron finally said, outraged. “If any dog needs exercise, that one does.”

Hermione glared at him. “You don’t use your eyes, any of you, do you?” she said. “Didn’t you see what it was standing on?”

“The floor?” was Harry’s suggestions. “I wasn’t looking at its feet, I was too busy with its heads.”

“No, not the floor. It was standing on a trapdoor. It’s obviously guarding something.”

Sunset was impressed. She hadn’t been thinking of looking at the floor either.

“I hope you’re pleased with yourselves. We could have been killed, or worse, expelled. Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going off to bed.”

“No we don’t mind,” Ron muttered after her. “You’d think we dragged her along, wouldn’t you?”

“Well, that was fun,” Sunset said, and yawned. “But I think I’m going to turn in for the night too.”

“Yeah, g’night,” Harry said, as Sunset climbed the stairs to the girls’ dormitories.

“Honestly, those two,” Hermione whispered, as Sunset entered the dorms. “It’s like they don’t even realize they were almost caught.”

“Not your problem though, right?” Sunset noted.

“But imagine how many points we’d lose if Filch found us!”

“What? Points? Oh right, those. Whatever, who cares?”

I care!” Hermione said, indignantly. “Everyone cares!”

“Really? Huh. Goodnight.”

“... Goodnight.”