• Published 23rd Nov 2020
  • 8,187 Views, 1,868 Comments

Magic Mirror On The Wall, Who Is Mightiest Of Them All? - Snakeskin Ducttape



Sunset Shimmer ends up at Hogwarts rather than the Equestria Girls world.

  • ...
10
 1,868
 8,187

And Now: Sports

There was a scent of nervousness in the air all over the school that grew stronger as the weeks went on. It was slowly sinking in for a lot of students how they had performed at the midterms, and that the finals were going to be even more demanding.

Especially around Harry, Ron, and Hermione there was an almost excited tinge to the scent, as they sat with their heads closely together over books from the library.

Sunset studied too, or tried to at least. Alone in the dorm, she lay with her first year spellbooks in a pile with her in bed, flipping through one of them only long enough to read the name of the spells, making them all activate with so-called silent magic by incanting them in her head and waving her wand.

“Light, colored light, sticking light, warmth, cold, levitation, magic tack, launching small objects…” Sunset took a deep breath as a hairband from Lavender’s nightstand bounced into the wall. “... Lock locks, unlock locks, ♪fold it up and put in socks, if your socks are full of rocks, take those out and put in box… es♫.

“... Eugh.”

Sunset let her hands fall down, as she stared listlessly into the wall.

There comes a point where studying the same thing over and over becomes too much, and Sunset tossed and turned in bed as she tried expressing her frustrations.

She glanced over at the clock to see that it was almost time for the afternoon meal. It was a good thing too, because if nothing else had distracted her, Sunset suspected she would’ve walked down to the lake and started melting the sand into glass just for the hay of it.

As usual, it was potions that were tripping her up, since it took so much time to practice. It’s not like she hadn’t gone through the entire first year of potions yet, but that was far behind where she was in other subjects.

So it was a good time that Percy was so busy these days, so she could get away with practising some.

Sunset paused as she started rising from the bed, wondering why she was thinking like a student who wanted high grades.

Sunset didn’t need grades. She didn’t value grades. She valued knowledge. Knowledge would lead her to her destiny. Grades were for impressing people who valued grades.

She walked down the stairs and out into the castle corridors in that particular disorientation of someone between events in life.

There were things to do of course. There were always things to learn, but right now, at this moment, she didn’t have the energy to learn more, but there was also no real entertainment to relax with.

She found herself sauntering into the classroom that had housed the mirror she had seen Celestia in, and found it empty.

“Miss Shimmer?” the voice of professor McGonagall rapped across her cochlear. “What are you doing here?”

Sunset turned around to see her head of house looking at her with a stern and slightly suspicious look.

“Oh, uh, there was a mirror here, but I forgot that Dumbledore said it was gonna be moved.”

One of McGonagall’s eyebrows raised up like a lioness poking up over the savannah grass.

“Uh, I mean, uhm… that’s what I heard,” Sunset said, trying to rally.

Sunset had an uncomfortable feeling that the eyebrow was going to pounce any second.

“I’ve just… been studying too hard,” Sunset said, slumping a little.

McGonagall’s expression slowly softened ever so slightly, and spoke in a much more casual tone.

“Your results on the transfiguration midterms were quite good, and likewise professor Flitwick and professor Snape gave you close to the highest score as you already know, so I… see no pressing concerns regarding your education.”

“So you’re saying perhaps I should relax a little?” Sunset asked.

McGonagall searched for words for a moment. “I rarely advise students not to study, but I hold that some variation can be good for you. Clears the mind.”

Sunset nodded to herself. Turning parts of the bank of the lake into glass might not be prudent, but she was itching to do something.

“You’re probably right,” Sunset said. “Thank you, professor.”

“You’re welcome. Oh, and miss Shimmer,” McGonagall said, as she was about to move on. “It has been brought to my attention that you have had one small error, in every midterm, that has kept you from receiving a perfect score in every subject.”

“Ah, noticed that?” Sunset muttered, mostly to herself, and continued before McGonagall could interrupt. “Well, things might be perfect without flaws, but it’s not complete without them.”

Sunset turned around on her heel and marched away before McGonagall could ask her about that. Frankly, she actually had no idea what that meant, but she remembered something like that being said, long ago, when Celestia and Kibitz were talking about something.

Maybe McGonagall was right. Maybe Sunset needed to clear her mind a little.

She slipped into another unused classroom, and stared out across the landscape. The last of the snow had just thawed, although at this temperature, the soil would remain wet and muddy for a long time, especially with this drizzle that had been going on and off for two days.

During the holidays, she hadn’t needed to worry much about teleporting back and forth across the castle, or magicking things around in her dorm, but it was much riskier now when the castle was alive with activity again.

Still, just this once, Sunset felt like throwing caution to the wind… although it was best to do so somewhere else.

With a flash, she vanished, and reappeared on a hilltop far away. She turned around, and saw the now small castle in the distance.

With another flash, she appeared on another hilltop, this one bald, and completely obscured by the previous one.

She looked around, and saw a boring, inhospitable, and uninviting patch of grassy mud and soil, completely lacking in personality.

Sunset hopped in place for a moment, took a deep breath, and stretched her arms, legs, and every part of her body, before holding out her hands, throwing up a magical shield, and gathering her magic.

Tiny discharges of lightning zapped between her fingers, and her hair was buffeted by an ethereal wind, as the power gathered and grew, and grew, and grew.

The inhabitants of Hogsmeade, and both the faculty and student body of Hogwarts, looked up in curiosity and mild alarm, as they felt the ground softly quake, and a deep rumble rolled over them, before all became silent again.

Sunset stood still, and listened to the wonderful symphony of pebbles and tufts of grass raining down around her.

When almost all was quiet again, except for a slight hissing, she opened her eyes again, to observe her handiwork.

The crater in front of her was steaming as the rain and moisture in the soil slowly tried to spread to the dry, very warm, and partially melted hole in the ground.

“Aaaah… I needed that,” Sunset said, in Equestrian, as she took to slowly walking around the perimeter of her handiwork, as she absentmindedly waved a finger while deep in thought, catching the fine rain in a small orb, suspended in the air.

She had covered all the spells of the first and second year, and had been studying more of the same level besides. As stated before, potions was slower, especially since she was cross-referencing five different books on the subject, and dodging Percy, but she was still ahead of the class.

The key to immortality was with magic, Sunset was sure of it, but where in magic? Which field? At what level?

Celestia couldn’t turn Sunset into an alicorn. This all but established that there was no specific spell or such for it.

Sunset had to admit that if that was the case, there would probably have been a few by now, besides Cadence.

Somewhere, in the vast wilderness that was the study of magic, was the key to ascension. How does one find it where so many have failed?

Why, do better than everyone else, of course.

So if one was to find themselves looking for something very specific in a very vast area, how does one go about it?

Sunset twirled her fingers as she walked in a circle, staring out across the landscape, making two orbs of water orbit each other, before they stopped, and melded into one.

The water was smoothened out into a disk, and a small wave started spreading out from the center of it, in a widening spiral.

In this metaphorical wilderness of mysteries and study, a metaphorical search pattern was required.

Sunset stood still for a moment, before freezing the disk of water into ice, and dropping it on the ground, where it shattered into fragments.

She observed it for a moment, before nodding to herself, and vanished in a flash.

No one stopped her, as she made her way back to the Gryffindor common room and the girls’ dormitory.

Inside, she fished out the notebooks she had bought in the muggle store, and her spellbooks, and sat in her bed with them, and drew the curtains.

There, she started her handiwork of combining her books into one, and compressing the pages to make it thinner.

Waving her fingers, she started cutting up the muggle paper and adding the material to create wider margins.

Then, she started writing.

“Why is everyone so high strung?” Sunset asked Seamus during breakfast.

“‘Cause this is it! Gryffindor against Slytherin, and Harry caught the snitch the last game.”

Sunset looked over at Harry and saw that he was dressed in a different uniform, along with Fred, George, and a few others Sunset didn’t know.

Harry was slowly nibbling at a piece of toast while staring blankly ahead of him. The others in the team, Fred and George, three girls, and another boy, were faring only slightly better, actually managing to put food in their mouths while doing the same. The oldest boy was fidgeting while trying to wind himself up for an inspiring speech that never seemed to start.

“Oh that’s right,” Seamus said. “You missed the last game.”

Sunset squirmed uncomfortably in her seat. She had agreed to meet Malfoy during this game.

“I guess I did.”

The scent in the air didn’t do her composure any favors.

The team rose up and walked stiffly towards the doors.

“I guess it’s time to head out,” Seamus noted.

Sunset grabbed one piece of toast in each hand and one in her mouth, before joining the crowd that was milling out of the castle and down towards the great pitch in the grounds, with its tall stands and viewing platforms.

That quidditch took place in the air was something Sunset had figured out already, since flying broomsticks were involved.

She had actually flown during the spring’s flying lessons following the one where she ended up with a Longbottom on top of her.

It hadn’t been anything special. Sunset could already fly on her own with magic, and while the speed that some brooms could reach could’ve added some spice, the practice-brooms had been thoroughly ‘throttled’ to keep incidents like the one with Neville to a minimum. The brooms used for sport or quick transport were supposed to be quicker.

She noticed Neville walking next to her, slightly more uncomfortable than other times.

“What’s up?” she asked, finishing her second piece of bread.

“Oh, uh… nothing. Just… flying makes me nervous.”

“Ah, yeah, we’ve established that,” Sunset shrugged, making Neville blush. “But you’re not up in the air. What’s the problem?”

“Yeah but… Harry is.”

Sunset glanced at Neville as they walked into the wooden structure. “Yeah… I suppose he is,” she said, as she ascended the stairs.

Several floors worth of stairs later, Sunset found herself standing on a bench-covered platform, alternatingly decorated with the colors of the four houses.

She made her way through the milling crowd and was about to take a seat at the edge of the red and gold section, when a figure was suddenly standing next to her.

“There you are,” Draco Malfoy said, a slightly hard smile on his face. “Come on, let’s watch from over here.”

Sunset suppressed a sigh, and followed the rich boy, who smelled even more nervous than Neville, to where his two constant followers were standing behind them.

Sunset looked out over the field and saw the players on the ground, walking slowly towards each other, with Snape roughly in the middle.

“What’s Snape, or Professor Snape, doing out there?” Sunset asked.

“He’s the referee this time,” Malfoy said, grinning. “So Gryffindor doesn’t stand a…”

Malfoy cleared his throat, but Sunset wasn’t really paying attention. She was leaning against a support for the awning above.

The two team captains shook hands, and then the game started with the blow of a whistle.

The players flew into the sky and started dodging and weaving past each other, trying to get a large ball through the opposing team’s hoops, and dodging two smaller balls while two members from each team, Fred and George in the case of Gryffindor, tried to smack them at the opposing team members.

Sunset thought that was a little careless for humans, who it was clear were much more fragile than ponies, or herself in her current form.

Malfoy kept alternating between cheering for Slytherin, and glancing at Sunset nervously.

“So what’s Harry up to?” Sunset asked, noticing that Harry was just looking around the field.

“He’s trying to find the golden snitch... or so I hear,” Malfoy scoffed.

“And what’s that?”

Malfoy looked at Sunset. “The little golden ball with wings. You know, if you catch that you end the game? Don’t you know quidditch? You said you weren't a muggleborn,” he pointed out, with a little bit of worry and accusation.

“I’m not. I just haven’t paid attention to sports,” Sunset said, as Ron and Hermoine took their places in front of them on the stands, arguing about something under their breaths.

Sunset could feel the hostility radiating from Malfoy towards the two, while he glanced uncertainly at Sunset.

Spotting an opportunity to get out of this, or at least make it more pleasant, Sunset started gently waving her fingers, and started slipping from people’s perceptions.

Before long, Malfoy had stopped glancing at her, and was instead sneering at Ron and Hermoine behind their back. He pulled out his wand, and poked Ron in the back of his
head with it.

“Ouch!”

“Oh, sorry, Weasley, didn’ see you there,” Malfoy said, and looked back at his cronies for confirmation that he was doing well.

“Wonder how long Potter’s going to stay on his broom this time? Anyone want a bet? What about you, Weasley?”

Ron just gave Malfoy a look of contempt, and turned back to the game, where Snape was giving his brother a penalty.

Sunset sat down and simply looked at the game.

It wasn’t changing her mind on sports, but she had to admit that it was a nice change of pace to be surrounded by screaming teenagers who all exuded an uncomfortably intense smell of excitement.

It made her appreciate her alone time and researching even more.

A few minutes without a jab was obviously too much for Malfoy. “You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team? It’s people they feel sorry for. See, there’s Potter, who’s got no parents, then there’s the Weasley’s, who’ve got no money. You should be on the team, Longbottom, you’ve got no brains.”

In isolation, Sunset felt that was decent as far as insults go, for a young boy.

“I’m worth twelve of you, Malfoy,” Neville stammered, trying and failing to look cross.

Sunset had to struggle to not bury her head in her hands, as the three Slytherins around her guffawed.

“You tell him, Neville,” Ron said, not looking away from the game

“Longbottom, if brains were gold, you’d be poorer than Weasley, and that’s saying something

Ron turned around, and did a much better job than Neville at looking fierce.

“I’m warning you, Malfoy! One more word–”

Without taking her eyes off the game, Hermoine pulled at his shoulder. “Ron! Harry!”

“What? Where?”

Something exciting was apparently happening, since the crowd’s cheering reached a crescendo. Sunset spared the pitch some of her attention, and saw that Harry dove towards something, presumably the snitch.

Malfoy clenched his jaw as he saw Harry rapidly closing in on a Gryffindor victory, and squirmed in place as he glanced desperately around for a release for his frustrations.

“You’re in luck, Weasley,” he said, trying to not sound hurt and desperate. “Potter’s obviously spotted some money on the ground!”

Ron didn’t even spare Malfoy a warning look before he jumped over his seat and pounced Malfoy to the ground.

Crabbe and Goyle looked on in confusion for several seconds before they reached for Ron, only to be stopped by a desperately furious Neville tackling them back, to moderate effect, resulting in two rapidly squirming piles of fists, grunting, and screaming.

Sunset sighed, but logged this event in her brain for some future analysis, should she ever get more interested in studying social interactions.

The rest of the crowd didn’t notice, as they were too focused on the game. Hermione was jumping up and down with the rest of their classmates, when the already intense cheering erupted to maximum capacity.

Harry was cruising around the pitch from the lingering velocity of his dive, his arm raised in triumph.

Seamus and Dean were screaming into the air at the top of their lungs like a pair of sea lions, while Hermoine was jumping up and down and shrieking together with Parvati Patil.

“Ron! Ron! Where are you!? The game’s over! Harry’s won! We’ve won! Gryffindor are in the lead!” she shouted.

By now, the Gryffindors were storming down the platform towards the pitch, and Sunset looked over to see that the double scuffle had developed at an alarming rate.

Ron’s nose was lightly bleeding, while a whimpering Malfoy was trying desperately to fend him off so he could nurse his black eye.

Crabbe and Goyle looked up in confusion at the sudden shift in atmosphere, an unconscious Neville underneath them.

Without realizing, or perhaps not caring, what had just happened, Hermoine grabbed Ron and pulled him down with her towards the pitch, quickly followed by the almost as enthusiastic Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws.

Crabbe and Goyle looked up in surprise as Sunset dropped her illusions around her right in front of them, and they quickly backed away when she stepped up towards Neville.

“Well, you sure showed him,” she said, drawing attention to the enormous difference in mass between the two ape-like figures, and the one all-but-scary looking Neville.

Malfoy looked angry and humiliated from his beating, and only seemed more confused and worried when Sunset slipped back into his senses, and realized she had seen and heard everything.

This was one of the many reasons Sunset didn’t want to get involved with others- it kept putting her in situations where she didn’t know what to say or do. She decided to fall back to just doing what seemed rationally most important right now, with a dispassionate demeanor.

“Well, I’ll see you boys later,” she said, as she gently picked up Neville and draped his unconscious form over her back, before descending the stairs, roomy now that everyone had hurried down them, and exited towards the castle.

Despite the unconscious boy on her back, this was probably the best time of Sunset’s day so far. The noise about things she didn’t care about was bad enough, but staying calm with all those scents and smells of excitement was really taxing, and now she was finally away from it, the castle being practically empty except for a few ghosts looking at her curiously.

Of course, there was also Madam Pomfrey.

“Miss Shimmer! What is the meaning of this!?”

“Calm down. You shouting makes me not want to go here,” Sunset muttered.

Author's Note:

Another chapter. Sorry it's so short. I've been feeling a little out of it lately, very unenthusiastic in general, and I'm not sure how what to do about it.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy this, and... I almost wrote that you should like, comment, and subscribe, which makes me reflect on the nature of propaganda.