• Published 23rd Nov 2020
  • 8,204 Views, 1,869 Comments

Magic Mirror On The Wall, Who Is Mightiest Of Them All? - Snakeskin Ducttape



Sunset Shimmer ends up at Hogwarts rather than the Equestria Girls world.

  • ...
10
 1,869
 8,204

A Little Bit Of Adventure

The Defence Against the Dark Arts class was particularly odd for Sunset the next Monday.

Quirrell stood in front of the class, pointing at an image of a very ugly horse-like creature hanging from the wall.

“The M-M-Mare, or M-Mara, often th-ttthhhought to be a c-c-c-ousin to the th-thestral, i-is a wwwwicked creature that ssssneaks up on p-p-people while they sleep and ssssit o… on them. They are r… rare in these p-p-p-parts, and so their motivations are nnnnnot entirely understood. S-s-s-some say that they g… gain something from this, w… while others say th-that they are simply doing it f-f-for p-pleasure.

“It isssss said however, that the mare has ssssserious c… c-c-compulsive t-tendencies and her th… thought pattern is v… very easily dist...distracted, and one n… need o… only toss a ha… h-h-handful of f-flax seed onto the f-f-floor to distract her through an entire n-n-night, as she c-c-c-counts them´. His-historically however, r… religious people, preferred to sh… shear the tail of a c-c-c-cow, and put the ha-hairs so that they st-st-st-stuck out of a psalm book, and p-p-p-place it on the w-windowsill of the b-b-b-bedroom.”

Luckily, at that point, Professor McGonagall chose to knock on the door, distracting Sunset from the bizarre tales.

“Y-yes, M-M-Minerva?” Quirrell asked.

“I would like a quick word, Quirrell,” she said.

“But of c-c-c-course,” he said, as he walked out towards the hallway, to have a whispered conversation.

Sunset shook her head, doubly wishing she could’ve sat this lecture out. She wasn’t sure if she ought to be offended on behalf of thestrals, or if the lecture was too absurd.

The rest of the class was taking a mental breather, as while no one wanted to say it, and it wasn’t like he could help it, listening to Professor Quirrell could be pretty exhausting.

“Y-you d-don’t say?” Sunset heard Quirrell say from out in the hallway.

“I do, and the headmaster agrees to keep this quiet.”

McGonagall’s voice was cut off by Parvati and Lavender gossipping, and Sunset had to discreetly lean her chair closer to the door.

“I ssssee. Hmm, g-good plan.”

“Yes, so please keep your eyes open.”

“Of c-course. Thank you for t-t-telling me.”

Sunset let her chair come back into a normal position. Maybe it was just the boredom of listening to lectures about entry-level magic, or maybe the other girls and their thirst for gossip was a bad influence on her, but Sunset regretted not casting some spells to let her listen in on the whole conversation.

Later in the day, Sunset placed her piece of cardboard against the wall outside of the potions classroom, and walked in without knocking.

Snape looked up, annoyed at what he no doubt considered insolent manners.

“... Sit down,” he said.

Sunset shrugged, and did so.

Snape got up and put down a small, empty bowl in front of Sunset, followed by a large bowl of something black and hairy. A bowl full of dead spiders.

“You are to collect the eyes, and place them in the empty bowl.”

“Got it,” Sunset said, in an easy manner.

Snape looked at Sunset suspiciously, but she just looked back in a slightly amused manner, as if asking if he was going to be looking at her all day. It was important not to say that out loud though, at this time.

Snape turned around and walked back to his desk, and as he did, Sunset’s hair and nails momentarily lit up, as she unleashed several prepared illusions on the spot where she sat.

Snape didn’t react though, even as Sunset magically floated in a large sheet of cardboard, and went to work on illustrating it.

When she was done, she calmly walked out the door to the corridor. Snape’s brows creased ever so slightly, but he didn’t look up. To him, there was an annoying student sitting quietly and suffering in front of him. Everything was as it should be.

Sunset walked down the corridors, leaving the classroom behind, and shaking her head. “... Idiot.”

By now, Sunset was more than halfway through the second year’s spells. She had no problem with charms and transfiguration, but potions did take longer to practice of course, so she was only a few months ahead on that, and wouldn’t say no to more repetition, to make sure it stuck properly in her head. Similarly, Sunset only felt so confident about her skills when reading about herbology, and preferred to learn practically as well.

The big gaps in her learning were the so-called defences against the dark arts. It was a strange subject, and a bit unfocused. The first year’s book had been dull, to say the least. It mostly covered the philosophy about what is and is not considered dark magics, the proper forms and justifications of defense, and then a little bit of practical knowledge about aggressive creatures and a few weak shield spells.

Sunset made a note to ask Fred and George to take a look at their book, and see if things got better.

The dark magics themselves, as the first year’s book to defend against it described them, seemed to be mostly charms with grim and morbid flavors. Sunset presumed that perhaps they’d earn their reputation when they became a little more advanced than what her fragile, eleven year old sensibilities were judged to be capable of handling.

While Sunset did enjoy all kinds of learning, magical lores especially, there was a nagging feeling in the back of her mind that she should be looking into anything that has to do with ascension into alicorns.

The path to becoming one would of course be highly esoteric, and so it might prove useful to study all fields of magic, as the key might be hidden in obscure, arcane lore that only makes sense if you combine them all.

Maybe.

It seemed like a logical conclusion at least.

Sunset knew that Celestia hadn’t been born an alicorn. She had managed to ascend somehow, and she was a master of every kind of magic Sunset could think of. The most logical thing would be to follow in her hoofsteps.

Even so, it might do to research this world’s menagerie of magical creatures. Sunset had gathered from Ollivander that unicorns in this world, and presumably pegasi and earth ponies as well, were very reclusive, and Sunset felt that in a society this focused on remaining unnoticed by their non-magical counterparts, there would be a greater presence of her kind. If these people knew more of unicorns, and pegasi, and earth ponies, they would be talking about them much, much more.

Sunset felt a bit of vicarious pride for her counterparts in this world. Clearly, they were even greater at keeping their societies hidden than even witches and wizards.

One more thing Sunset felt might be worth investigating would be if there were any alicorns in this world. It was no guarantee however. Alicorns were rare- Celestia and Cadence being the only known ones, with only a small number of others appearing in legends. It was possible, likely even, that there simply were no alicorns here.

And if there were, Sunset would keep her observations secret. Revealing her intentions only once had been bad enough.

So the library was the next step.

Sunset hadn’t been in there much yet, but she was familiar with Madam Pince, the librarian, by reputation. She glared at Sunset suspiciously, but like with Filch, Sunset not being intimidated by angry old people probably just made her angrier.

There were only a few students left, as most were trickling back to their dorms for the day, but a quick perception filtering charm meant Sunset would remain undisturbed, as she started looking through the shelves containing books on magical creatures.

Of course, her plan was cut short by Madam Pince putting out the lights and closing up the library, so Sunset grabbed a book on transformations, quickly dispelled the charm that would trigger an alarm if it was taken out of the library, and left for the Gryffindor common room.

The fat lady’s portrait swung open, and Sunset plopped down on a couch next to the rest of the first years.

Around her, people were studying, laughing, playing games, eating snacks, and socializing in various ways. The fifth and seventh years were frantically studying for their major exams, the ones that determined the grades that any employers would look at, while lower years were acting more casually.

Sunset had to admit that the constant low-key chaos of the common room, and the open fireplaces and fuzzy carpeting which so far succeeded to chase away the increasing chill outside the windows, provided a cozy blanket to study under.

“Weren’t you supposed to be in detention?” Hermione asked, looking up over a long astronomy essay, and sounding a little accusatory.

“Yep. I left,” Sunset said.

“What did Professor Snape say?”

“Nothing.”

Professor Snape, meanwhile, was sitting in the dungeon, correcting tests of his sixth year students, struggling not to smile as one of the Gryffindor students’ answers could be interpreted as incorrect, which, when Snape was the teacher, resulted in a failed test.

He glanced up to see the insufferable brat dutifully bent over her tasks, and sneered in frustration.

The book Sunset had borrowed was not overly helpful for Sunset’s ultimate goal, as it said nothing about ascending closer to a godlike status. The agelessness of “vampires” did enable them to greatly hone their powers, though many kinds of magics were unavailable to them for some reason.

Animagi were an interesting little note, and the concept of werewolves seemed kind of disturbing, but there was nothing about alicorns, or anything that resembled alicorns.

Sunset slowly closed the book, her mind feeling numb, but still disappointed and frustrated, as one gets from pursuing the truly mysterious. Aimless pursuits of magic and power was easier than this, just learning in itself was progress.

Sunset needed a break if she wanted to stay in control of her emotions. She slowly rose up, and walked up to the dorms, and went to bed, idly wondering if anyone had tried getting her attention during the time she had sat in the common room.

Snape had grown bored with tormenting Sunset, and although he would never admit it to anyone, including himself, it was because she refused to display any signs of anguish at her grueling task.

He rose up from behind his desk, and strode down towards Sunset, his robes billowing exactly right, thanks to many years of practice.

Sunset didn’t look up, and Snape wordlessly reached for the bowl of insect eyes to inspect Sunset’s work.

Not that there was much to inspect, as the bowl turned out to be a cardboard standee that fell over once his hand came near it.

Snape’s expression was absolutely stone-like, as he slowly turned to face Sunset, who kept looking down at the table.

“I assume you think this is highly amusing,” Snape said, slowly and deliberately, with a slight hiss to his voice. “I assure, I will cure you of that notion.”


What Sunset’s reaction to that might have been, Snape didn’t find out, as the figure in front of him turned out to be a cardboard standee that fell over once Snape’s breath came near it.

The next morning, Sunset stumbled into the great hall, trying to get her eyelids to move in synch, collapsed into a chair by the Gryffindor table, and started shoving sandwiches and coffee down her stomach, when she slowly noticed the flying pumpkins with candles in them, and the generally black and orange decorations everywhere.

<<... Nightmare Night?>> she said, confused.

“What?” asked Dean Thomas, two seats away from her.

<<What?>>

What?

Sunset shook her head, and switched over to English, as it was called here. “I mean, what?”

“... What, to what?” Dean asked.

He and Sunset stared at each other for one very confused moment.

“Uh… I don’t know,” Sunset eventually offered.

“... Me neither.”

“Sunset Shimmer,” Sunset heard McGonagall say, and looked up to see her head of house approaching.

McGonagall was a very strict individual even in casual situations, so the fact that she clearly had to put some effort into it now told Sunset that she was unhappy.

“Yes, Professor McGonagall?”

“I’ve just had a word with Professor Snape,” she said, coming to a halt and staring down at Sunset, which Sunset suspected would have worked better to keep other students mild and meek. “He said your behavior during detention was most unbecoming.”

“He would,” Sunset noted, dismissively, and shoved half a sandwich into her mouth.

McGonagall stiffened, and took a deep breath. “Miss Shimmer, you are to show your teachers the proper respect, or you will have to face detention with me as well. Tomorrow, after class, you will report to Professor Snape’s office for another detention.”

Sunset struggled with the food in her mouth as she considered her options.

“Hmm, ‘ow ‘m I f’po’f ‘t ge’ ou’ ‘f f’i one?”

“Miss Shimmer, table manners,” McGonagall implored, in a pained voice. “Swallow, and then stop eating until our conversation is complete.”

Despite herself, Sunset found this to be reasonable.

“Mmmng… I was just thinking to myself, and I said, how am I supposed to get out of this one?”

“You are not supposed to get out of detention!” McGonagall said, a pained look on her face.

“Oh, right, but the thing is that the detention was undeserved.”

“I’m afraid that’s not for students to decide,” Mcgonagall noted, in a terse voice.

“Why not? I’m smarter than Professor Snake, and I have a superior sense of both justice and morality.”

Sunset was certain that McGonagall would take a dim view of this jab, but she felt like she couldn’t help herself. Straight and forthcomingness ought to be a virtue worthy of an alicorn. Or something like that.

To her surprise, McGonagall hesitated, before she put on a completely neutral face, and simply said, “Miss Shimmer, you are to report to Professor Snape’s office tomorrow evening after classes,” before walking away.

Sunset shrugged, and tried refocusing on her breakfast, when she noticed Dean Thomas staring at her.

“What? Oh yeah, also, what’s with all the decorations?”

The day of “Hallowe’en” was apparently some sort of day associated with the dead. From what Sunset could gather, it had something to do with communicating with loved ones who had left the world for the next one, which Sunset thought sounded nice, but it was also oriented around horror, dread, and frights, from evil spirits and other dark creatures.

It didn’t perfectly mesh in Sunset’s mind.

“Miss Shimmer? How are you today?” Flitwick asked.

Sunset looked up from her charms textbook, in which she was scribbling notes in the margins, in Equestrian, just in case anyone else got a hold of it. Everyone else was practising the current charm.

“What?” she asked. “Uh, yes I’m fine, thank you for asking. How are you?”

Flitwick chuckled at the response, but nodded his head towards Sunset’s book. “I am as well, it’s just that you’re not practicing, and we’ve started with the exciting parts. There is no problem, is there?”

The “exciting” parts were levitation, which when used as a charm, was more efficient than a unicorn’s inherent arcanokinesis in terms of energy spent, but still very limited. Sunset, as well as virtually every other unicorn, had levitated things before her earliest memories.

“Uh, no, I’m just… making sure I got the theory right.”

Meaning she was jotting down some of what she remembered from magical theories back from Equestria, in case this world’s wand magic could be combined with it for amplified results. It would probably be a long way off if it was possible, but that just meant it was best to start early with it.

“May I see your wand form?” Flitwick asked, politely.

“In… in a minute,” Sunset nodded, hoping to seem placating.

“Very well,” Flitwick said, seeming a little disappointed, when he noticed that Hermione Granger had managed to cast a well-executed spell on her feather, raising it into the air, and clapped. “Oh well done! Everyone see here, Miss Granger’s done it!”

“Thank you, Hermione,” Sunset said under her breath, grateful that she stole Flitwick’s attention.

There was a feast that evening. It wasn’t very out of the ordinary for Sunset, since she was still getting used to human food in general. It was still decent though, and Sunset was grateful that these people always served either bread, or potatoes, in some form, at every meal.

Sunset was slowly chewing her food while looking up at the cloud of bats zooming back and forth across the great hall. Sunset liked bats. They were silent, and ate much more distracting little buzzing creatures. They ate a lot of them.

Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil had their heads together, gossipping. Since Sunset had never seen them apart except when, thankfully, they finally fell asleep during the night and quieted down, she had to assume that from the start of the semester until now it has been one continuous conversation, and judging from their expressions, gasping, and giggling, it had to be a riveting one.

Dean Thomas was trying to describe a non-magical sport to Seamus Finnigan, whose puzzled look was the stuff of legend.

Percy was distracted by a conversation, and Fred and George were putting fingernail clippings into the sauce on his plate, Harry and Ron were talking about… something.

Still, something was missing.

“... Hey, where’s Hermione?” Sunset asked the table in general.

“Oh, she’s been crying in the bathroom,” Parvati said. “Ever since Ron pointed out she doesn’t have any… you know.”

Sunset oh’d and nodded in fake understanding, then settled down for some quality time with her fried potatoes.

Sunset did in fact not know, and she hadn’t heard Ron say anything. What didn’t Hermione have? Brains? Talent? Drive? She had the second most of that in school.

And what about that made her so upset now, of all times? She clearly wasn’t a comfort eater, because the butter had fried the surface of the tubers in front of Sunset absolutely expertely.

Sunset looked around some more, and nodded in epiphany. It was a day of remembering the dead. Crying on a day like this meant that Hermione probably didn’t have a family, and that she might be a pretty spiritual person.

In the orchestra of a thousand forks and knives against plates, and countless conversations, Sunset was looking up at the enchanted roof as she chewed, wondering if she should be feeling anything about her own biological family.

She had never known them, but there were aspects of magic that incorporated familial bonds, like tales of curses and blessings that could travel down the generations, and divinations that could trace people through their family members.

This was one of the few times Sunset thought about what she might be missing out on, not having a biological family.

Cadence had said that biology doesn’t make families though, and that only love was required. Sunset didn’t really want to admit it, but she did appreciate Cadence’s attitude when it came to that, and grudgingly, had to admit that in this particular instance, Cadence might know more than Sunset.

Sunset figured that if she ever got the chance, perhaps she’d arrange it so that Cadence and Hermione met, just in case they were good for each other.

That’s when Professor Quirrell came running in through the doors, panting, straight up to Dumbledore’s seat, almost crashed into the table, and gasped, “Troll, in the dungeons… thought you ought to know,” before collapsing.

A collective, panicked roar went out through the great hall, before Dumbledore let out a short string of explosions from his wand, and silenced everyone.

“Prefects, lead your houses back to the dormitories immediately!”

Percy shot up as if he just realized he was sitting on a thumb tack.

“Follow me! Stick together, first-years!” he shouted, and things to the effect of him protecting people if need be and following his lead.

It felt a little rich to Sunset that Percy considered her a first year, but she couldn’t really blame him. She quickly shuffled her mouth full of potato, and joined the torrent of students quickly and orderly moving out of the great hall and towards the Gryffindor tower.

“Sunset?” Neville asked. “What do we do if the troll comes?”

Sunset looked at Neville, confused, and swallowed her mouth full of food. “It’s already here, supposedly. Oh, you mean if we run into it on the way. I guess Percy will handle it.”

“Do you think he could?” Parvati asked, nervously.

“Nope,” Sunset said, simply.

Not that she knew much about trolls, but if the entire staff was spread out to chase it off, she doubted a not-yet fully educated teenager could take it on.

They got to the portrait of the fat lady, and started climbing in, which took some time since the whole Gryffindor house was climbing in there.

A group of third years came jogging up behind them.

“Ah,” Fred said, pleased. “At least the troll won’t be able to fit through here.”


“Glad you could join us,” Percy said, tersely. “Alright, everyone straight to bed! No lollygagging!”

The door to the girls’ first year dorm room closed, and Parvati and Lavender immediately started babbling to each other, probably about trolls and what was happening. As they talked, Lavender looked out the window towards the dark grounds, only vaguely realizing that that wouldn’t tell her anything, and turning back to Parvati.

Sunset was disappointed. She still had the taste of the dinner in her mouth. All this because some stupid troll. No one was even in danger.

Sunset cocked her head. Something about that notion wasn’t quite right. Something was missing.

“... Oh.”

Hermione.

Sunset opened the door again, and saw that the stairs were abandoned.

“Where are you going?” Lavender asked her.

“Don’t worry about it,” Sunset said, closed the door behind her, and vanished with a flash.

It was a bit of a risk, teleporting like that, and an even greater risk teleporting around to the various girls’ toilets all willy-nilly, but Sunset figured, that despite herself, she would probably feel pretty bad if Hermione got crushed by some monster when she could’ve done something.

Sunset appeared in a booth of the third set of restrooms she teleported to, and jumped out of it, fingernails glowing.

“Hermione!?”

Nothing. Sunset teleported to the next restroom…

… And immediately regretted doing so.

Sunset felt as if she had been punched in the face, hard, from the stench alone, and stumbled out of the booth, both hands over her face and her eyes screwed up, barely able to see anything, only barely noticing that Ron, Harry, and Hermoine was standing in the room as well.

<<Ough, Tartarus!>> Sunset whimpered, and looked up through tear-filled eyes at the absolutely foul creature in front of her.

Twelve feet tall, with a thick, leathery hide, a both monstrous and dumb-looking face, a great tree trunk as a club in it’s great hands, and an unbelievable stench shooting out from it.

<<... You are one ugly rudderbucker.>>

It raised its club and roared. Sunset was going to conjure up a shield, but the troll’s breath hit her like a train, quickly followed by the club.

The tree trunk sent Sunset flying into the door leading out into the hallway, knocking it off its hinges, and she collapsed on the floor, on a bedding of splintered door.

Honestly, it was kind of a relief to get away from the source of the smell. That she couldn’t tell if it was worth it was a little worrying.

Sunset tried sitting up, but her head swam as if she had just tried drinking a club full of minotaurs under the table, and she collapsed again as her arms gave out.

There was some screaming, and roaring, a loud thud, and the sound of half a dozen feet approaching.

A hand gently touched Sunset’s face. From the scent, though the troll’s smell was still almost overwhelming, Sunset could tell that McGonagall, Snape, and most prominently, Quirrell and his garlic, were there.

“Miss Shimmer,” McGonagall said. “I need to know how you feel.”

Sunset blinked her eyes a few times, trying, and mostly failing, to focus on Minerva McGonagall’s face.

“... Like a hundred knuts,” she said.

Sunset felt herself being magically lifted onto something softer- a stretcher that hadn’t been there before.

“What were you doing?” McGonagall said over her shoulder, aimed at Harry and Ron. Sunset could tell that she was struggling to keep her voice down.

“Hermoine, uugh, in the toilet,” Sunset said, and tried sitting up on the stretcher, but McGonagall’s hand kept her down. “Went to warn her.”

McGonagall’s face softened after a moment, and she looked over at Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

“Miss Granger, Mister Potter, and Mister Weasley, you will go straight back to your dormitories, and we’ll talk more about this tomorrow. Miss Shimmer, lie still, please..”

Sunset’s eyesight stabilized enough to see that her classmates were looking at her with a deeply worried expression, which Sunset felt was unwarranted. It wasn’t like she had never taken a blow to the head before.

As she was carried past them, she weakly raised an arm and cried, or at least muttered, “Adventure!”

That’s when she decided to take a nap. Totally of her own volition.

Author's Note:

Been crazy busy lately, but I managed to find a few small moments where I could write, and this is the result. Perhaps it's a little unfocused, but that's what not being able to have a schedule will result in. Maybe things will stabilize soon, but... well, it's just a maybe.