• Published 23rd Nov 2020
  • 8,189 Views, 1,868 Comments

Magic Mirror On The Wall, Who Is Mightiest Of Them All? - Snakeskin Ducttape



Sunset Shimmer ends up at Hogwarts rather than the Equestria Girls world.

  • ...
10
 1,868
 8,189

Early Witch Gets the Pixie

There was a snort from Sunset’s bed, as she lifted her head from her pillow. <<Rhubarbs.>>

What followed felt naggingly familiar to her, though she couldn’t put her finger on why, as she stumbled out of bed already dressed in her clothes, muttering incoherently to Hermione about needing to wear a nightgown while swaying down the stairs towards the great hall, and collapsing next to Harry and Ron by the Gryffindor table.

“Morning, Sunset,” Harry said.

“Mmmrnin,” she responded, trying to get both her eyes to look at Harry at the same time.

Her head swung back towards the table, and she probed, bleary eyed, for her quarry.

Ron filled up a mug of coffee and pressed it into Sunset’s hands, which had been grasping in confusion around the plates of food, before acting on deeply ingrained muscle memory, and swallowed half the mug’s content in one gulp.

Relieved, Sunset slumped, and rested her cheek in one hand as she poured another cup and grabbed a hard-boiled egg.

Thank you,” she sighed in relief, as her brain started working enough to simply be considered exhausted rather than non-functional.

“Had a nice summer?” Ron asked, smirking.

Sunset let out a double yawn, and nodded, eyes closed. “Yeah. You guys?”

“Yeah, pretty good,” Ron said, noncommittally.

“Same here. Better than usual, actually,” Harry said.

“Good.”

Sunset let the boys turn back to their original topic, which didn’t last long before the owls started to arrive with the mail.

A general sense of concern rapidly blanketed the table, and Sunset wished it would go away, as it encouraged her to wake up, which was far down on her list of things she wanted right now.

A slice of bacon was her next visit, when suddenly a voice absolutely boomed in her ears.

Hundreds of pairs of eyes turned to stare, as a woman started shouting at magically enhanced volumes from a letter Ron had received.

“... STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN’T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY’D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT UNTIL I GET HOLD OF YOU. I DON’T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT–”

That was as far as it went, before Sunset, cheek still in one hand, and with an annoyed expression, grabbed the letter and tossed it into a juice pitcher, where it bubbled angrily but impotently at Ron, only muffled parts of words being discernable.

“... Thanks,” Ron said, relieved.

“Mmm,” Sunset mumbled, and took another bite of her bacon as the pitcher hissed and sputtered.

The summer was still clinging to life on the whole, but on this day in particular, it was a refreshingly gray day, with a hint of an invigorating chill in the air, that Sunset savored as they sauntered towards the greenhouses on the grounds for a herbology lesson with both Gryffindor and Hufflepuff.

A slightly bruised and unusually annoyed Professor Sprout was trudging up towards them with a turquoise-clad Gilderoy Lockhart next to her.

“Oh, Hello there!” Lockhart said, loudly. “Just been showing Professor Sprout the right way to doctor a Whomping Willow! But I don’t want you running away with the idea that I’m better at Herbology than she is! I just happen to have met several exotic plants in my travels…”

Between the breakfast and the fresh mountain air, Sunset assumed she had woken up properly, but Lockhart’s words made her hesitate. She looked blarily at the smiling man, wondering what kind of a conversation she missed that made this sound reasonable.

“Greenhouse Three today, chaps!” Professor Sprout said, noticeably struggling to sound normal.

Sprout’s word choice was one of those things that Sunset sometimes struggled with when speaking English, and which possibly applied to other human languages as well, as Sunset noted that none of them were wearing, much less actually were, loose fitting leg-hoses.

The class started moving towards Greenhouse Three, anticipation building in the air. Professor Sprout unlocked the door, and they all shuffled inside.

Herbology class, and especially Professor Sprout, reminded Sunset a little of the royal apothecary greenhouses in Canterlot, no-nonsense and sometimes dour ponies expertly handling exotic and often dangerous plants with a steady and practiced hoof.

“Harry, I’ve been wanting a word,” Professor Lockhart said from just outside the greenhouse. “You don’t mind if he’s a couple of minutes late, do you, Professor Sprout?”

Harry looked very uncomfortable, as Lockhart said, “That’s the ticket!” and shut the door.

The class looked through the windows with confusion and sympathy at Harry’s expression, as he tried putting as much distance between himself and Lockhart without actually stepping away from him.

“What is he talking about?” Seamus wondered out loud.

“Merlin only knows,” Sprout muttered, before putting in effort to look more neutral.

After a few minutes, Lockhart turned with a swish and strutted away.

Harry entered, and Professor Sprout was clearly eager to take her mind of what had just happened, and began promptly.

Going by what she had learned during the last year, when combining magic and horticulture, humans had access to many inherently magical plants, while ponies more often used magic when interacting with otherwise mundane plants. She didn’t want to propagate stereotypes, but she felt that a lot of earth ponies would really like to learn from Professor Sprout.

It was quite a fascinating lesson. Professor Sprout demonstrated the care of young mandrakes, a plant that Sunset had never seen before, and while it was not her favorite subject, that she was seeing things that no pony had ever seen before was more than enough to keep her interested.

Other than that, it went as usual. The teacher would ask a question, Hermione would raise her hand and answer correctly, the teacher would smile and give her points, and then they’d start learning.

The young mandrakes were plants, hence why they were learning about them in Herbology, but their roots looked like chubby little creatures, with the leaves forming what looked like great bushes of hair. They needed to be re-planted into larger pots, complicated by the fact that their screams were dangerous, at least when they got older.

Everyone except Neville struggled greatly, though Sunset did note that simply using sheer strength helped.

“Well done, you two,” Sprout told them, as they all removed their earmuffs, and gave them some points. Sunset didn’t pay attention to how many.

“These things were kinda gross,” Dean Thomas noted after class, as they were walking back up towards the castle. “They looked like little babies.”

“Human babies look like that?” Sunset asked, before her face froze.

“Well, sort- uhm… have you never- wait, what do you mean, ‘human babies’?” he asked, making several others also give her befuddled looks.

Sunset stared at him, stone faced, before simply saying, “nothing- oh, look, something interesting,” and pointing towards a cloud.

Everyone turned to look, and just kept marching.

“No, seriously, what do you mean by that?” Dean insisted, as they caught up with her again.

Sunset’s eyes shifted back and forth for just a moment. “I… misspoke, okay? I’m tired.”

By now, her classmates were all giving her uncertain looks.

“I thought you were a muggle-born,” Seamus blurted out.

“You don’t think so anymore?” Sunset asked, trying to sound casual, and to cut this conversation off at the pass.

“Well…” Seamus started. “It goes without saying, you can’t be a full muggle-born if you’re a halfbreed or- uhm, I mean, if, uh…”

“If one of your parents is a magical creature,” Parvati supplied.

“What makes you think along these lines?” Sunset said, making another, even more feeble, attempt.

Ron shrugged. “Dunno. It would explain your ears,” he said, as they marched into the castle.

“My ears?” Sunset said, giving him a questioning look.

“Yeah, they’re all pointy. Makes you look like a giant fairy.”

Ron!” Hermione said, giving him a stern look.

“What?” he said, looking back at her, confused.

“That’s not- you don’t- ugh, forget it,” she said.

“Is that… common?” Sunset asked, carefully, as they re-entered the castle. Aside from Flitwick, and maybe Hagrid, she thought all humans looked very similar to each other, at least compared to ponies, although perhaps not as much when compared to Gryphons.

“What is?” Dean asked.

“Having, uh… or… being mixed… species? Mixed genus, perhaps?”

“Now you do sound muggle-born,” Lavender noted.

“Not exactly common, but it happens,” Ron said, shrugging.

“Huh, I see,” Sunset said.

That’s as far as the conversation could go, as the boys and girls separated to get a quick wash to get the grime off before making their way to transfiguration.

Mixed species and mixed genus couples were nothing that raised an eyebrow in Equestria, and would at most lead to some politely curious questions. It wasn’t exactly a free-for-all, with different species preferring different geographies, which limited their ability to mingle comfortably, but mixed-species offspring seemed to work a little differently in Earth’s magical world than it did in Equestria. Sunset was reminded of a pair of siblings, one an earth pony and the other a thestral, one of the grandparents of which was a thestral as well.

Taking on partial traits from another species, which is what she figured her classmates had been talking about, was extremely rare, and the data from when it happened was limited.

Also, Sunset didn’t care about what her former schoolmates said. Diamond dogs and ponies could not interbreed: Trot-weilers were a myth.

In the transfiguration classroom, McGonagall was her old, prim self, and without welcoming the class back, handed out beetles for everyone to turn into coat buttons.

Sunset ended up by herself, which she didn’t mind. She knew of this spell from before, but hadn’t practiced it, mainly because she hadn’t bothered going out and looking for beetles or other suitable animals.

“♪I’d ask my friends to come and see… an octopus’ garden with me, badum bum bum bum…♫” she sang quietly to herself as she calmly transformed the beetle back and forth, with her wand, nails, and hair when no one was watching.

She gave the beetle a rest, and dug out her book, the one where she was cataloging all her research, and started writing down the differences between the spell when cast with her wand and when cast with her hair.

The topic of how bridged her two different types of casting magic were, since it was her hair in the wand, was also something that perhaps could do with some research.

“Miss Shimmer, why are you not practicing?” McGonagall demanded.

“Because I feel I know the spell, professor,” Sunset said, politely but coldly.

“Let me see then.”

Sunset put her book down, and easily cast the spell on the beetle, remembering to vocalize the spell, turning it into a coat button.

Before McGonagall could say anything however, Ron’s wand made a sizzling noise, and let out a large amount of dark smoke.

The class coughed and sputtered, but the foul smell sat particularly bad with Sunset, who immediately conjured a slightly glowing forcefield around her.

“Is everything quite alright, Mr Weasley?” McGonagall said, testily, as the smoke cleared.

Ron let out a few more coughs. “Y-yeah, professor… or, uhm, no. I think I need a new beetle.”

McGonagall turned around and went to retrieve a new beetle, when she noticed the faint glimmering around Sunset, distorting the air around her slightly.

Sunset gave her a long and utterly neutral look, before she snapped her fingers, and the shield vanished.

Sunset was the first person out of the classroom when it was time for lunch.

The caffeine was wearing off, and Sunset mostly wanted to take a nap. Perhaps an eight hour long one, before turning in for the night. She forced herself to eat an okay lunch, before sauntering out towards the courtyard, and even managed to almost walk in a straight line.

Not paying attention to her surroundings, she found herself standing to the side of Draco Malfoy, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle, and Harry, Ron, Hermione, and a small, camera wielding Gryffindor first year Sunset felt she should probably have remembered since she would’ve seen him sorted the evening before.

Signed photos? You’re giving out signed photos, Potter?” Malfoy loudly asked, making Sunset jerk her head up with the volume of his voice.

“Everyone queue up! Harry Potter’s giving out signed photos!”

“No, I’m not,” Harry said, angrily. “Shut up, Malfoy.”

“Are they worth money?” Sunset wondered, peering over Malfoy’s shoulder. “If so, I’ll take one.”

Malfoy turned around, and seemed to be caught off-balance by… something.

“You’re just jealous,” the small first year insisted, which Sunset had to admire since she was pretty sure the humans around him could physically handle him the way she could normal humans.

Malfoy rallied, and smirked at Sunset before turning back towards the others.

Jealous? Of what? I don’t want a foul scar right across my head, thanks. I don’t think getting your head cut open makes you that special, myself.”

Sunset silently weighed that. True, scars, non-magical ones at least, had no direct utility, but there were certainly rangers coming back from tours at Far Watch, and monster wranglers coming back from Tempest Valley, that sported some really dashing scars, used to great effect by going out to places in Canterlot where singles hang out, and pretending to not know how cool it made them look.

The argument had apparently gone on without her, because wands were being drawn, but Gilderoy Lockhart suddenly appeared, and how he could’ve gotten this close without people noticing him in robes like that, Sunset had no idea.

“What’s all this, what’s all this? Who’s giving out signed photos?”

Before anyone could say anything, he put his arms around Harry’s shoulders.

“Shouldn't have asked! We meet again, Harry!”

Sunset winced at Harry’s expression.

“Come on then, Mr Creevey,” Lockhart said. “A double portrait, can’t say fairer than that, and we’ll both sign it for you.”

“Will that be worth money?” Sunset asked.

“Shut up, Sunset,” Harry muttered.

“Nice one,” Malfoy said, having moved to Sunset’s side.

“I was being serious,” Sunset pointed out, shrugging.

“So, how was your summer, Sunset?” Draco asked, his hands behind his back and an overdone dignified expression on his face.

The bell rang, and the crowd started to quickly disperse and move towards the classes.

“Fine, yours too, I hope,” Sunset said, hoping that was polite enough as she walked backward towards the great hall. “See you later.”

Malfoy just stood there, opening and closing his mouth several times before slumping a little.

Sunset and her classmates had all previously met the teachers in all their subjects before, with the exception of Gilderoy Lockhart, and so there was a sense of anticipation in the air, although the observant would notice a mix of flavors. On one hand, there was genuine excitement at the idea of finally learning from this esteemed champion of good and justice, and on the other there was a more… carefully curious kind of anticipation, and the person who exuded that the most was Harry, who, when the class filed into the classroom, sat in the back and built a sort of fort of Lockhart books and hid himself behind them.

When the whole class was sitting down, Lockhart grabbed Neville’s copy of his book, and held it out in front of him. The portrait on the cover winked.

“Me. Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defence League and five times Winner of Witch Weekly’s Most-Charming-Smile-Award… but I don’t talk about that. I didn’t get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!”

Sunset tried to share a look with Hermione, but found her staring at Lockhart, transfixed.

“I see you’ve all bought a complete set of my books. Well done. I thought we’d start today with a little quiz. Nothing to worry about, just to check how well you’ve read them, how much you’ve taken in…”

He started handing out papers, before going back to the desk. “You have thirty minutes. Start… now.”

Sunset looked down at the questions, then let out a sigh.

1. What is Gilderoy Lockhart’s favourite colour?
2. What is Gilderoy Lockhart’s secret ambition?
3. What, in your opinion, is Gilderoy Lockhart’s greatest achievement to date?

His books had actually been fairly thrilling at times, and at some points informative. She did know, from reading about them earlier, that humans cursed with lycanthropy found silver to be very painful to touch and even uncomfortable to be near when they were transformed, and Lockhart’s accounts of when he had used silver against werewolves seemed very accurate. However, it’s not like she had never ran across a Daring Do knock-off in her life, and it was less that there were clear signs of self-aggrandizement so much as it was the books’ main feature. The difficulty was separating the… embellishment, from plain fiction, but in either case it cast doubt on the factual correctness of the rest of the text.

Tired, grumpy, and with a slight stomach ache, mostly stemming from her tiredness, Sunset decided to answer the questions, not as best as she could, but as best as she fancied.

1. Whatever he’s wearing at the time.

The second one required some thinking.

2. To avoid colic.
3. To be hired as a teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

To the side, Hermione was scribbling away at a blistering pace, blushing frequently. Sunset sniffed the air, then felt very mildly nauseous, and regretted sitting next to her.

And so Sunset kept writing the answers as best as she could, while idly coming up with names that rhyme with her teacher’s name, like Tilde-Soy Dock-Smart, Build-a-Toy Shock-Wart, and so on, but she soon ran up against a wall, when nothing sounded better than Filled-Ahoy Block-Fart.

40. What attire do you think compliments Gilderoy Lockhart’s Billy-Boy Pockmark’s smile the most?

40. Any robe in his favorite color.

Thirty minutes later, their new teacher was standing in front of the desk, looking through the quiz results, shaking his head an tuting to himself.

“Hardly any of you remembered that my favorite colour is lilac. I say so in Year With a Yeti. And a few need to read Wanderings with Werewolves more carefully. I clearly state in chapter twelve that my ideal birthday gift would be harmony between all magic and non-magic peoples, though I wouldn’t say no to a large bottle of Ogden’s Old Firewhisky!”

He gave them an overdone wink, and Sunset felt herself go slightly numb from disbelief, or perhaps as a defence mechanism to disassociate with a reality that hosted someone this awkward.

Around her, people were either sharing her expression, or quivering with silent laughter. At least all the boys were.

“But Miss Granger knew my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of hair-care potions. Good girl.”

Far down in some corner of Sunset’s mind, she realized that it might’ve been a bad idea to make fun of the teacher on the actual quiz, before she realized that she had probably forgotten to write her name on it.

“In fact… full marks!” Lockhart continued, as he flipped to the end of Hermione’s papers. “Where is Miss Hermione Granger?”

Hermione carefully raised her hand.

“Excellent! Quite Excellent! Take ten points for Gryffindor! And so, to business…”

From behind the desk, he produced a large cage, covered with a dark cloth.

“Now, be warned. It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizardkind! You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. All I ask is that you remain calm.”

Sunset sighed again, mellow from boredom-induced serenity.

She realized that if Lockhart really did have something dangerous or scary underneath that cloth, she would’ve been set up like a world class chump, but still she couldn’t muster any enthusiasm.

“I must ask you not to scream. It might provoke them.”

Lockhart swished the cloth off, revealing–

“Yes! Freshly caught Cornish Pixies!”

Sunset blinked, first with one eyelid and then the other, as Seamus let out a loud guffaw. The tiny creatures inside fluttered about, hissing and snarling at the class while rattling the bars. Sunset thought they looked a little like evil breezies, and the thing was that no matter how evil a breezie was, it would still be a breezie.

“Yes?” Lockhart asked, beaming in Seamus’ direction.

“Well they’re not- they’re not very dangerous, are they?” he managed, between laughs.

Lockhart wagged his finger smugly at Seamus. “Don’t be so sure! Devilish little blighters they can be!” he said, and put his hand on the door to the cage. “Right then. Let’s see what you make of them!”

He opened the cage, and the pixies immediately shot out like a swarm of angry bees. A swarm of angry bees with little hands, and a determination to wreck everything around them.

The girls shrieked, and so did the boys, as the blue little creatures zoomed about with books, inkwells, and every other loose object they could find, throwing them at students who took cover underneath their desks.

Sunset shrouded herself in a forcefield, just like she had in McGonagall’s classroom, and leaned back in her chair, looking at a pixie trying to gnaw through her shield with its little fangs.

“Come now, round them up, round them up! They’re only pixies!” Lockhart shouted, then swung his wand around and shouted, “Peskipksi Pesternomi!” to absolutely no effect. The only thing he managed was to have his wand stolen and thrown out a window.

“Sunset! Help!” Neville said, loudly but carefully.

Sunset looked up to see him hanging by his robe in the chandelier. She stood up, pulled out her wand, and carefully lifted him off before dropping him into her outstretched arms.

“Uh, thanks,” a blushing Neville said, looking into Sunset's very sleepy eyes as he clambered onto his feet.

Sunset sighed again, and pointed her wand at the cage they had come from.

It started flying through the air on the side, the hatch smacking continuously like it was a frenzied beast, hungry for pixie flesh.

The foul little creatures let out a yell of warning, and tried to avoid the wireframe monster, but to no avail. The cage shot forward, and whenever one of the pixies caught its attention, it suddenly got just too slow to avoid the rattling maw.

The class, and Lockhart, looked up in amazement at the show, and before long the last pixie was back in the cage, with the hatch closed, and back on top of Lockhart’s desk. The pixies shouted in fear and indignation before the piece of cloth was magically lifted up and thrown over them.

The whole class slowly emerged from under their desks and gave Sunset a collective, stunned look.

“... Well! You can’t argue with the results, but I daresay the method could use some improvement. I had a somewhat more efficient solution in mind,” Lockhart said, still smiling widely while looking at the slowly blinking Sunset.

“Yeah, we saw,” Ron muttered to Harry.

“If I were you, I would’ve–”

But that’s as far as he got before the bell rang, and Lockhart’s smile took on a more relieved character.

“... But it would take far too long to explain it before supper. I know you’d all love to stay, but we’ll continue this before long. Class dismissed.”

Sunset’s bag flew from the backrest of her chair into her hand, and she swung it over her shoulder before turning around and walking out the door.

Halfway down the corridor she realized that she was surrounded by her classmates.

“Wicked! Where did you learn to do that?” Dean asked.

“Self taught,” Sunset yawned.

“All like, zoom!” Seamus agreed.

“My gran’ and I saw her do magic before we even started at Hogwarts,” Neville told Parvati and Lavender.

“That was really quite good,” Hermione noted.

“Can you believe him though?” Ron asked Harry, as Hermione helped them magically mend their books which had been damaged in the classroom.

Out of pure habit, Sunset went into the dining hall and sat down at Gryffindor table, surrounded by her classmates, still asking her questions.

If she had had more presence of mind, she would’ve gone straight to the Gryffindor dormitories. which became very clear when she slowly tipped to the side and collapsed against Lavender, snoring loudly.

“Yeah… she didn’t sleep very well the first night here last year either,” Parvati told the rest of the class.

Author's Note:

So here's a chapter, finally. It took a while, I've been a bit under the weather, but I was finally able to write again.

This chapter was more source material + an extra character than a lot of previous chapters have been, but I still felt it was for the best, with some character interactions, as well as some introductions that needed to be made. I hope you all like it.

Pre-read by Ssokolow