• Published 8th Jun 2022
  • 6,617 Views, 162 Comments

What Am I? - LordOctavianStark



You never seem to feel like you belong in this world. Now you begin to find out why.

  • ...
22
 162
 6,617

Pandora's Box

Author's Note:

I'm home for a couple weeks so I had/have some actual free time to write until I start my next contract. I gotta say, while I love seeing my family and friends agian, the thing I love the most is being able to drink beer agian :rainbowlaugh:.

"And then he comes bolting out of the shed, armor barely kept together, with the saw miller chasing after him with an axe in claw. Let me tell ya, my brother never tried to get with the miller's daughter again!" Flotess finishes the story with a laugh, and you can't help but join in. A grin not leaving your face since he began the tale. Even though you had known the griffon for a couple years, he'd never talk about his family or home other than the few inebriated tales here and there. Frankly, you assumed disliked his family due to his reluctance to talk about them.

It was nice to see that wasn't the case. "The best lessons are learned through pain, or fear of death, like for your brother. What is he up to nowadays?" You pause to take a large gulp of your coffee. "He still in the militia?"

Upon hearing your question, Foltess' jovial mood was immediately soured. "No, Vernon, he. Well, Vernon died in a bandit raid about a year before I moved here. He was the last family I had in Storms Peak, kinda the reason I left." His head hung in slight sorrow. "I just had too many memories there."

Your response was quick as you placed a large onyx wing across his back. "I'm so sorry man." You hated these situations. You never know what to say, and what can be said? All you could offer are sweet words that would change absolutely nothing about what has already happened. Luckily, the silence from Foltess tells you that he isn't looking for soothing words, he seems content in just having you near as he stares blankly ahead.

Unsure of what to do, you begin to survey your surroundings. The Royal Garden, contrary to its name, seemed more like a small forest located within the castle proper, so dense with assorted foliage and flowers, that it was often impossible to see more than a few yards ahead. But that didn't make it any less beautiful. You're positive there must be a sound dampening ward as the clamorous cacophony of the city is undetectable, making the flowing water of the small koi pond near you the only sound. It's peaceful to say the least.

As the time dragged on you began to worry for the young griff to your right as he still had yet to recover from his distraught nature. Glancing around yourself, you look for anything that might allow you to broach a new subject. Eyeing the empty plate that lay in front of Foltess, you open your mouth to speak. "Sorry they didn't have Hydra steak. Was the manticore alright though?" You query as you remove your wing from his back.

"Hmm? Oh, yah. I never had one before, only thing that would've made it better is some booze to wash it down with." He responds, slowly returning to his chipper self. "Like a good ale or maybe even a red wine."

"Y'know, you could always go get some. Just tell them it's for us."

"Really!?" The mention of free alcohol seemed to perk him up. Were it not for the fact that he is young, and, that just until a few years ago, you drank as heavily as him. You would be worried that he was an alcoholic. He could use a drink. Besides, it's not like I didn't drink nearly every chance I had when I was his age. I mean, that's what your early twenties are for. You think to yourself as you let a small smile form.

"Yes, really."

"Sweet! Did you want anything?" He asked, already standing, stretching his back in the feline like fashion that always forces you to stifle a laugh. I probably shouldn't, alcohol seems like a surefire way to pass out, unless… "actually, I'll take an Irish Coffee." You respond, already looking forward to the sweet, cream topped alcoholic drink.

"A what coffee?" Looking to Foltess, you see his face portray pure confusion. "An Irish Coffee, whiskey, sugar, coffee, whipped cream. You never heard of it?" You reply, as if hoping the description would jog his memory.

"Oh, you mean a Marerin Coffee. The hay is an Irish?" His question catches you off guard. You would assume that he was simply messing with you, but his confused expression says otherwise. "You're fucking with me right?" The griffon merely shakes his head. "Irish, like, relating to the island of Ireland?" You explain, while making vague gestures with your hooves as if that will help explain it better.

"Oh, where is Ireland at? That some island in the Gleaming Sea or something?"

"No, it's in-" once again your migraine returns. This time even worse than before, it was as if a fire had been lit behind your retinas causing you to immediately clench your jaw and eyes shut. You would've fallen to your side if not for a pair of talons keeping you propped up.

"Whoa, you okay Star?" You can merely nod in response as the pain pounds in your skull. "What happened?" Foltess inquires as he pushes you into a sitting position. Once he ensured that you were able to sit upright under your own power, he released his grasp.

"I-I'm not too sure. I think I remember something from before the accident. But when I tried to push the memory it felt like a steam engine crashed into my head." Trying to alleviate the pain, you slowly shake your head. "Gods that fucking hurt."

"Did you want me to get you a potion from the infirmary?" The thought made you shiver. Healing and pain potions were quite notorious for their horrid scent and taste; completely betraying their healing properties behind a veiled scent of rot that would make one assume it was full rancid ruffage. "Oof, yah, no. I'd rather not lose my lunch. But, if you're offering, I'd gladly take some acetaminophen with my Irish Coffee."

"Marerin Coffee," he corrects you in a teasing tone. "And, I got you. Be back in a flash!" Before you could bid farewell, Foltess launched himself forward with a powerful flap of his wings. Nearly covering the distance between the pond and the palace entrance with one flap alone.

Left alone, you close your eyes, using your hooves to gently massage your temples to help alleviate the remaining pain. This seemed to work wonders, as the pain subsided nearly as quickly as it arrived. Sighing, you drop your head in content while letting the warm breeze cradle you into the slumber you had been avoiding.

………….

"So the garden stays green year 'round?"

"Yes, verily. It has quite the extensive set of wards surrounding it. It was originally started as an experiment to see how well unicorn and earth pony magic would compliment each other."

The sound of quiet conversation roused you. At first, you tried to ignore it. Not wanting to have your sleep interfered with. Yet, try all you will, you can't fall back into your rest as you no longer feel exhausted. Making an exasperated sigh, you open your eyes.

Glancing around, nothing seems overly off. The koi pond is still there, the dense forest scenery has not vanished, you're still in the Royal Garden. That revelation was clear enough. The only thing that seemed to change was the presence of the two ponies mid conversation.

Looking towards their direction, it was clear why you believed something was off. The gentle conversation was clearly between beings you knew. One fairly well. The smokey, lanky, creature was back. That in and of itself would be cause for alarm, coupled with the fact that the pony he is talking to was an alicorn, and Luna no less, made it all the more worrisome.

You stand and trot over to the apparitions. The only way you can tell it is your princess, Luna, is due to her size and voice. She looks nearly identical to the smoky guard from your hallucination. Just barely recognizable enough to tell who she is. Pacing around them, it is clear that they seemingly don't or more likely can't take notice of you. It's kinda like how Luna described dream walking. You think to yourself as you take a seat next to the bank of the koi pond. Intending to watch the conversation unfold.

It was strange, seeing Luna so nonchalantly talking to the creature that plagued you. You're fairly certain that this is merely the works of a tantabus, trying to fill you with doubt. What's worse, it seemed to be working. That sinking feeling of half realized and remembered deja-vu that left you feeling that it wasn't the first time you watched this play out.

With this internal dilemma, it was rather difficult to follow the conversation. You're only able to focus in for a short few sentences before turning back to the turmoil taking place within your subconscious as it crawls its way to the front of your mind. At Least, until you see the lunar doppelganger extract something from a pair of saddlebags near her.

"Dost thou know what today is?" She asks the creature while turning to the creature. A loud hum can be heard before it's response, "Thursday?" The being replies lazily. The answer seemed to be humorous as the alicorn let out a soft giggle. "Aye, that it is! But it is also something else. An old holiday, Amicitia, or friendship. Once it was a highly celebrated day, especially amongst the military. Now, since our banishment, it has been nearly forgotten." There was a restraint in her tone, laced with a sweet melancholy, as if remembering a fond experience with a loved one who's passed.

Taking notice of the box, the creature leans forward, now seemingly invested in the conversation. "What's it about?" He asks as you follow the box intently, even though everything about these two apparitions were obscured and only barely recognizable, the box retained such fine detail. I've definitely seen this before, but where?

"It was a day to be spent with comrades. Brother and sisters, not by blood but by covenant. It was originally a military holiday, that is how We were introduced to it. You start the day by offering a gift to your friends, a representation of how much they mean to thou. Then the rest of the day was meant to be spent drinking and reminiscing of the good times spent together. It holds a dear place in my heart. Though those friends are gone, their memories persist." She explained.

"That's oddly sweet. Also, you're getting much better with your speech. You seem to be using less and less of your Shakespearian dialect." A shiver shoots down your spine. Listening to the demonic figure talk with your appropriated voice and parlance was unsettling to say the least. It even corrects Luna's speech like I do.

"We, I, always found it strange that you had a playwright that wrote his plays in Old Equestrian, but I digress. Even though the holiday has fallen by the wayside, I still celebrate. And so, this is my gift to you." She hoofs the box to the creature. He accepts it in his claws. Scrutinizing it with it's blackened face. "What is it?" He asks while craning his head to view the objects underside.

"A memoir of sorts." The creature immediately makes a grunt in confusion, prompting the alicorn to clarify. "My sister and I are immortal. Immune from time and age. But like all beings, our memories are susceptible to them. They will degrade and fade over time. This is where the carved container comes in. It is an ancient and enchanted object. It's purpose is to store memories, so that they may never be forgotten. Inside, you would find the culmination of three millennia of friendships. Memories I hold so dear that I refuse to let them be washed away with the sands of time. Friends made on the field of battle, where somehow beauty and love blossomed surrounded by nothing but death and destruction. Friends made in the gilded age of peace, where there was never a worry and never was a day tarnished by despair. The memories that make me know, even when all those I hold dear will pass while I persist, that there is still reason for those connections and relationships. I tell you this because, like my closest and most loved friends of ages passed, I added our memories to it, and if you'd permit. I would like to add your memories to it aswell. Only the ones you want to that is." Even though this isn't real, you can't help but have your heartstrings tugged by the sentiment the apparition gave to the beast.

"Heck, you're welcome to add all my memories to it. Just not the clandestine ones." The beast finishes the reply with a curt laugh.

"I wonder what that box is called." You state aloud. As soon as the words leave your mouth, time seemed to freeze. Falling leaves and flying insects left frozen in midair. The two being in front of you are paused, like actors holding pose as a play ends. "What the fuck?"

"Oh, so you are here, splendid." Sounds a familiar voice to your left, causing you to jump and rotate to face it. Only to see the still waters of the koi pond. "There's no need to worry, I simply wish to talk." Approaching the water, you see the reflective nature of the water at work. Though instead of you, the visage of the creature is once more in your place, but unlike before. You are still Star.

"What do you want beast?" You ask, your tone laced with anger. Upon hearing this, the reflection let out a smug snort. "I only wanted to show you this," it nods it's head to the paused scene before you. "To inform you of the importance of that box, and the choice you must make."

Sparing a glance to the ornate case, you turn back to the pond. "And what makes it so important?" Though it's face is still obscured, you can still notice the large smile spread across it's flat face. "Because that is Pandora's Box." You tilt you head to the side, puzzled, before the beast can clarify. "If you open that box, and view the memories within. Then you will destroy the world as you know it, and be awoken from this fallacy. Every doubt you have, every question that has been gnawing on your mind, will be answered. That is your choice, to live the beautiful lie, or the view the world as it truly is and know the hideous truth." It responds with a slight shrug of it's shoulders. "You've seen it before, the box. Luna keeps it on her desk in the antechamber of her quarters."

"And why would I do that? Why would I betray the trust of my friend and go through her things without permission?" You shot back.

"Why? Because, unlike ponies, your curiosity is insatiable. And how can it not be? It is hardwired into you, into me, into all of our kind."

"What do you mean by our kind?"

"Hmmm, we don't have much time left." The creature muttered to itself. "If you truly want to know what I mean, open the box, and all will be revealed."

"Or how about you just tell m-"

…………

Your eyes flutter open quickly. Only to see the teasing smile of a familiar beak. "Hey there sleeping beauty, you enjoy your nap?" He asks while proffering you a large mug of what you can only assume to be the Irish Coffee you requested. You accept it in your hooves as you force yourself upright into a sitting position. "Oh, and here." His claw opens up, presenting a white pill. "That aceta-whatever you wanted."

You greedily accept the pill and immediately swallow it, chasing it down with your spiked coffee. "Ah, that's good," you groan into the mug. Reveling in its taste.

"Ya, the ale I got is pretty good too. I needed it to pre-game for tonight." He says with a light laugh before taking a sip of his own mug."Why? What's going on tonight?"

"Oh, I'm going to the bar with a couple guys from work later. Actually, I should probably head out in the next hour or so to get ready. Sorry I can't stay with ya until the princess gets up." He explains.

"It's fine. It's fine. Actually… I think I might have to do something before she wakes up anyway."