• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 411 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 411

24) The Correct Term is Your Fate has been Decided

The next time I opened my eyes, I couldn’t figure out where I was. I looked to the right and I looked to the left but all I could see was nothing but white everywhere.

Am I in a white room at a mental asylum? I thought. What did I do to get here?

“Hello, Norman!” I heard a voice say. “It’s about time I got to meet you!”

Am I nuts? I thought. I turned around to see a woman hold out a hand to help me get up.

“Where am I?” I panicked. “Am I dead?”

The woman laughed, “Oh no, you’re not dead! Not in the slightest!”

“Okay,” I said, “then where am I?”

“You’re in my dimension,” said the woman, “let’s say it’s a side realm connected to everywhere.”

“Okay?” I said.

“Oh that’s right,” the woman said, “where are my manners? I should introduce myself! My name is Fate, nice to meet you Norman!”

“How do you know my name? I thought meeting Fate was a figure of speech!” I said.

Fate fell out laughing as if I had just told the best joke ever.

“I do believe the correct term is your fate has been decided!” Fate laughed. “You’re not only a death walker but you’re pretty funny too! Have you ever thought about stand-up comedy?”

“Yeah no,” I said, “at least you haven’t said I’m sexy yet.”

Fate cracked up, “Ha, ha no! I’m too old for someone like you!”

“Gee,” I said, “thank you? And why did you say the correct term? Am I starting a new job title? I’d rather be in a holding cell instead!”

Fate couldn’t hold her laughter in even if she wanted to.

Fate stopped laughing and cleared her throat, “Anyway, there is a reason why I brought you here. I just wanted you to finally meet the person who’s been behind the scenes pulling the strings!”

I titled my head, “Huh?”

“Oh that’s right,” said Fate, “I should probably explain my background so you can follow the things I’m trying to tell you. The first time I woke up was a long time ago, thousands of years ago, I’m actually a lot older than Equestria! But the universe that I first woke up in was the universe that had the planet called earth in it. And for some reason, I had the word ‘fate’ stuck in my head. So I decided that would be my name.

"I have magic and a lot of it. But it comes in the form of little clouds that float around my head. I know what you’re thinking, you can’t see them, only I can. I call them powers. That’s because these clouds make decisions on how I use my magic. And when they’ve made a decision I have to follow through with it.”

“And this involves me how?” I said.

“I’m getting to that,” said Fate. “As I was saying. If my powers make a decision, I have to go through with it. If I don’t, grave consequences will follow. And yes, I’ve done that once before.”

“So what happened?” I said.

Fate sighed, “I tried to resist my powers when I first woke up. Before I woke up, the planet called earth had creatures that were called humans. From what I could tell they were very peaceful creatures. The voices in my head told me to make decisions for a couple of those creatures. They told me that those decisions would be good for that universe but only that universe.

"I hated the puffs of clouds that were floating around me. They kept talking to me and their voices were so annoying! So I ignored their requests and that universe was destroyed because of me. I tried to rebuild it to the best of my ability but it came back glitched.”

“Glitched?” I said.

Fate nodded, “Yes instead of humans being peaceful when they came back, they knew nothing but war. And it looked like that’s what they were best at.”

“Okay,” I said, “that’s not answering my question.”

“Oh yeah,” said Fate, “for some reason this universe reacts a lot to the Jewel family. That’s why my powers made the decisions they did. It was mostly involving you since Betty had already made her choice before my powers got to her. I’m actually glad that happened! Look at how she is now! She’s such a fine young woman if I do say so myself! I wish I was her mother instead!

"Anyway, they decided a person named Heavenly Jewel would come into play. The powers were very active at this time. Pulling strings so some people died and other people couldn't be declared Death Walkers. My powers thought in doing so would balance the magic in this universe. In seeing that almost every Jewel family member is dead, they let the Icebreakers declare you as a Death Walker. And to add onto that, the ‘herd,’ or family as you would call it, will be the future generation of the Jewel family.”

“When you say almost dead,” I said, “does that involve my sister, mother, father, and possibly uncle? Did Dylan die?”

“Oh yes,” said Fate, “he’s dead, that dagger went straight through his heart!”

“But I thought there was a magical barrier that protects it?” I said. “He was a death walker! Or was he lying?”

“Yeah,” said Fate, “unfortunately, he was a Death Walker. My powers decided he had to die because he was a threat. So they broke the magical barrier and let him die.”

I thought back to when I saw the dagger go right through Shadow Mist before it hit me.

“If I recall correctly,” I said, “I saw my dagger go right through Shadow Mist's chest. I hope he’s dead. Because if he is, that alone should keep Equestria safe.”

“He’s dead too.” Fate said. “The war for Canterlot and Princess Twilight is won thanks to you!”

“How long has the war been over?” I said.

“It’s been over for three weeks now.” Fate said.

I almost choked on what I heard. “Three weeks! If I’m still alive, then what have I been doing this whole entire time?”

“You’ve been sleeping,” said Fate, “everyone’s waiting for you to wake up. You’re just in a coma for now. I just needed you to be out long enough for me to talk to you.”

“Why’s that?” I said.

“That’s because my powers decided to relay to you this information for some reason.” Fate said. “Oh and by the way Sunset will have something to tell you when you wake up.”

“And what might that be?” I said.

“Did you hear what I just said?” Fate said. “Sunset will tell you, and since you, Cozy Glow and her, have made your death walker decision already, you continue to keep your death walker powers until you die. And another thing be prepared for the circus when you wake up. Not to mention Cozy Glow already told Robert and Jasper about her past, that she is Cozy Glow.”

“What?” I said. “But why?”

“I guess she figured since Robert and Jasper are family now they deserved to know. I’m sure you’ll talk to them about that when you wake up.” Fate said. “Sunset knew before she even came to train you with your death walker abilities.”

“Why didn’t Betty tell me?” I said.

Fate shrugged, “I have no idea! Maybe she did it to keep you from falling in love with Sunset? If that was the case, that backfired!”

I couldn’t help but laugh at that comment, “Yup! It definitely backfired alright!”

“I bet you’re probably wondering when you’re going to wake up?” Fate said. “Am I right?”

I nodded, “Okay then, when can I make my exit?”

“You’re really funny, you know that?” Fate laughed.

“Yeah,” I said, “I think I’ll keep my day job!”

“Well,” said Fate, “you’re going to wake up… Now!”

Fate pointed a finger at me and just like when I was hit by my weapon the world went dark.

* * *

The next time I opened my eyes I saw that I was in a hospital room. Jasper and Robert were sitting by my bedside. They were nodding off to sleep when Robert opened his eyes to see that I was awake.

“Hi, Robert…” I said.

When Jasper heard my voice he jumped out of his seat. Robert had the same reaction.

“He’s awake!” Jasper said. “Robert, go tell Sunset!”

“I’m on it!” Robert said. He went outside and I could hear him talking to Sunset.

“What?” Sunset said. “He’s awake? I’m coming right away!”

I bit the inside of my cheek not sure if I wanted to face her yet. I really didn’t feel like getting slapped when I just woke up.

“Well then,” I heard a voice say, “you’re finally awake! You’re an idiot you know that?”

“I guess so,” I said, “hi Betty…”

“When a death walker calls back their weapon usually they can catch it no problem,” Betty said.

“Yeah, I missed,” I said, “I suspect Fate had a hand in that!”

“Wait!” Betty said. “Fate? The Fate? You actually saw her?”

I nodded, “Yeah? What’s the big deal?”

“Fate is the most powerful being that travels anywhere at any time!” Betty said. “I’ve heard a lot of people and other creatures that meet Fate don’t live to tell the tale! How come you survived meeting her?”

“She said something about starting a new generation of the Jewel family,” I said. “That’s because the Jewels are about ready to go extinct. I think that’s why I survived.”

Betty nodded, “Just like when the Icebreakers decided to start a new generation of death walkers and named you and Amethyst as the first two.”

“Yeah,” I said, “I guess so.”

Betty pointed to the doorway, “Sunset wants to talk to you.”

“Hi, Sunset…” I mumbled.

Betty smiled, “Well, see you later!”

Just like many times before Betty nodded and disappeared. As I suspected Sunset slapped me so hard I’m surprised it didn’t leave a mark. I didn’t say anything to her, I just looked away.

“What on earth were you thinking?” Sunset said. “You almost killed yourself with your weapon!”

I still didn’t say anything to her because I didn’t have an answer for her. It looked like she was about ready to slap me again when she stopped herself.

Yup, I thought, that’s exactly why I didn’t want to see her right now in the first place!

“Sorry about that Norman,” said Sunset, “I guess if I wanted an answer from you, that probably wasn’t the best way to go about it. I’m glad you came home. But, honestly! Don’t scare me like that!”

Once again, I didn’t have an answer for her.

“My thoughts exactly!” Jasper said. “At least you slapped him for me!”

“Ha, ha,” I said, “very funny Jasper!”

“Typical…” Sunset said.

“I’m afraid to ask this,” I said, “but what’s typical?”

“For a man to be afraid of his girlfriend,” said Sunset, “and a war hero at that!”

After that comment, Sunset and Jasper started laughing pretty hard.

“That’s not funny Jasper!” I snapped.

“Hey!” Jasper said. “Why are you yelling at me? Sunset’s the one who slapped you!”

“I’m not saying a word…” I said.

“Oh and Amethyst told me about her past and she told Robert too!” Jasper said.

I gulped when he said that.

“You look scared now that you know that,” said Jasper, “if we were going to leave you we wouldn’t have been at your bedside. Robert and I agree if the shoe was on the other foot we would’ve done the same thing.”

“As far as almost killing myself, I was trying to kill Dylan!” I said. “And speaking of that, you just HAD to mention I had almost been raped by someone! Of course, I’m bothered by it! It happened two months ago! And the death threat was made two years ago! So of course I forgot about it!”

“Oh,” said Jasper, “the doctor also bandaged your twisted ankle. As far as that wound you gave yourself, no one knows why it hasn’t healed yet. Which is funny, because all of the other wounds you got healed the very moment you got them!”

I shrugged, “Maybe it’s because I got hit by a death walker weapon?”

Jasper shrugged, “Maybe, maybe not…”

There was a short silence. “Yeah,” said Robert, “and Liz is getting on my last nerve!”

“Why’s that?” I said.

“She keeps asking me out,” said Robert, “apparently she thinks because I’m your boyfriend that if she can go out with me, she can get to you! The girl doesn’t know how to take a hint!”

I laughed at that but I winced at the pain when I did.

“That’s why we call her insane Liz in the first place!” Jasper said. “Oh and one more thing Norman.”

“What?” I said. I could see that Jasper was getting ready to fall out laughing again.

“Everyone on team Enemy Lines got a medal for stopping the war,” said Jasper, “and since you almost killed yourself with your own weapon to do so-“

“Don’t tell me,” I said, “it’s what I think it is? Is it?”

Jasper really couldn’t contain his laughter, “Yup! You just won your eighth medal!”

“Great,” I said, “at least the limit is ten!”

Jasper couldn’t hold in his laughter even if he wanted to. I guess Robert was amused by it because he joined in.

“Seriously you two!” I snapped. “It’s not funny!”

I tried to get out of bed so I could strangle both of them but I sat right down because of the pain.

“Easy there!” Robert said. “You need to stay in bed!”

“Okay you two,” said Sunset, “can you guys clear out so I can talk to Norman.”

Jasper looked like he couldn’t keep a straight face, “You gonna slap him again?”

“You little jerk!” I said. I wanted to deck him in the face but he was too far away from the bed.

“Nope,” said Sunset, “at least he has to stay in bed because of his wound. If he doesn’t the doctors will have to redo his stitches again!”

Instead of laughing like I expected, Jasper flinched at that comment.

“Redo the stitches? Ouch,” said Jasper. “Yeah, I’m out of here before he tries to get out of bed again and punches me!”

After Jasper and Robert cleared out of the room, I went back to not looking at Sunset.

“Oh boy,” said Sunset, “I guess I should apologize for slapping you. I think I’ll just tie you to a pole instead. Or maybe I could get Betty to do the whole beacon of light thing for me. I won’t be able to use my death walking powers on you for a while. I’m pregnant with your child.”

Instead of looking away from her I just stared at her in shock.

“What?” I croaked. “How long?”

“Seven months,” said Sunset, “and I have the DNA test to prove it.”

Sunset handed me an envelope and I opened it. When I saw the DNA test and it confirmed that I’m the father I just about passed out.

Sunset sighed, “At least if you pass out you’ll stay in bed. Because I don’t want to see them redo the stitches any more than Jasper does. I’m pretty sure my doctor is going to put me on bed rest for the next two months. And when you get released you’ll probably have to take it easy until your wound completely heals.”

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to take it easy since you’re pregnant and all,” I said.

“No you’re going to need to rest too,” said Sunset, “Robert and Jasper have agreed to help us out when they can. Fluttershy and Discord, however, will be helping us out the most. Speaking of that, Amethyst is waiting to speak to you now that you’re awake.”

Sunset left and Cozy Glow hugged me, she backed off when she saw that I was in pain.

“Oops,” said Cozy Glow, “sorry dad! I’m just happy you’re finally awake! I didn’t lose my necklace you gave me! See?”

Cozy Glow pointed at her neck and I smiled when I saw it.

“Thanks for not losing it Amethyst,” I said.

Discord laughed at me, “You just can’t help yourself can you?”

“What are you talking about?” I said.

“The whole saving people thing!” Discord said. “If I didn’t know any better, you just might be Princess Twilight’s successor!”

I shook my head rapidly, “Nope, I don’t want the job! No way!”

“You look like you’re trying to save someone now!” Discord laughed. “You can’t sit still to save your own life!”

“I am sitting still!” I said.

“No, you’re not!” Fluttershy said. “You look like you’re about ready to jump out of bed despite your pain! If you want to save someone right now, you probably should think about saving yourself. Just like you saved Equestria and Princess Twilight too!”

“I had help you know!” I said. “It wasn’t just me!”

“Oh don’t be so modest Norman!” Fluttershy said. “Like Rainbow Dash said to Betty, take credit where credit is due!”

“Okay fine,” I said, “I’m not a war hero! I don’t want to know the correct terms for that!”

“Yuck!” Discord said. “Gag me!”

“What is he talking about?” I said.

Just like when I was talking to Fluttershy about the love letters she fell on her back laughing. I wanted to tell her it wasn’t funny but I already got slapped by a hand. I really didn’t want to know what it feels like to get slapped by a hoof.

“It’s funny,” said Fluttershy, “Betty’s the same way! She does not accept the fact that she’s a legend now! In any case, Amethyst I think we should go home and let your father rest. Besides you need to rest!”

“But I’m not tired Grandma Fluttershy!” Cozy Glow whined.

“Yes you are,” said Fluttershy, “now that your father’s awake you need to sleep now. No more staying awake for twenty-four hours straight anymore!”

“Yes, Grandma Fluttershy…” Cozy Glow said.

* * *

The next day I woke up to a nudge on my shoulder and it wasn’t gentle at all. The nudge made the pain in my chest act up.

“Ow!” I said. “What was that for Sunset?”

I heard Jasper laughing hard when he handed me the Tv remote.

“Nope,” said Jasper, “not Sunset, but there is something you need to see.”

“Okay?” I said.

“Just turn on the Tv!” Jasper said.

I turned on the Tv to see that stupid news reporter that was following me and Jasper around during the war.

“What in the world is Aurora going to report on this time?” I said. “If she comes into the hospital room, I’m going to break her camera!”

Jasper rolled his eyes, “I don’t think she’ll be coming to the hospital anytime soon. Do you see where she’s at?”

When I saw it, I was very confused.

“She’s at a buck-ball field?” I said.

“Exactly!” Jasper said.

* * *

“This is Aurora,” said Aurora, “I’m signing on not to give a play by play of the war but to cover the broadcast on the celebration! General Norman is finally awake and now it’s time to give a tribute to team Enemy Lines! It’s starting right now!”

As soon as Aurora said that there was an announcer that came on the intercom for the buck-ball field.

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” said the announcer, “mares and stallions welcome to the Wonderbolts buck-ball field! On this corner is Princess Twilight High and in the next corner is Celestia High drumline!”

After we heard the announcer trumpets sounded to announce the presence of both sides of the two drumlines. When the drumline for Princess Twilight High came out, the leader was dressed in Jasper's uniform. When Celestia High came out on the other side, the leader was dressed in my uniform.

“Uh… Jasper?” I said. “Were you on the drumline for Princess Twilight High?”

“Yeah?” Jasper said. “I was the leader for the drumline. I take it you were the leader for Celestia High’s drumline?”

I nodded, “I wonder, have we played against each other at one point?”

“Now that you think about it,” said Jasper, “we did! I remember watching the home video that I have of it trying to figure what went wrong on our face-off.”

“Why’s that?” I said.

“Because in the drum routine there was a tie between our schools,” Jasper said. “Either way, I’m very surprised I didn’t recognize you when you got assigned to work with Olivia and me!”

“That’s probably because I looked different back then,” I said. “I still had problems with the girls chasing after me back then. And from what I was told Betty had trouble with the boys chasing her.”

“How’d you find out about that?’ Jasper said.

“One of the guys that chased after her told me she ran a race with him with one hand tied behind her back and her wings were tied for good measure!” I laughed. “The bet was if she won the guy would have to leave her alone, period! If he won then he would be her boyfriend!”

“Who won?” Jasper said.

I snorted, “Betty did!”

When we heard Commander Rainbow Dash's voice on the Tv. When the drum routine started we looked at that Tv to see the old routine was playing side by side with the new one. We saw this and our jaws dropped.

“Where did they get the footage for that?” I said.

“My guess is Sunset or Robert!” Jasper said.

“I’m going to kill Robert when I get out of here!” I said.

“Why just Robert?” Jasper said.

“Because Sunset’s pregnant and I don’t feel like getting slapped by her anytime soon!” I said.

Jasper couldn’t help but laugh and hard.

“But I do wonder,” said Jasper, “why this routine?”

“Your guess is as good as mine!” I said.

When Commander Rainbow Dash started singing once again our jaws dropped.

“I didn’t know she could sing!” Jasper said. “Did you?”

“Nope!” I said.

As Commander Rainbow Dash started singing the routine started, when we saw the routine we figured why it was chosen.

“I think I know why they chose this routine,” I said.

Halfway into the routine was a move that we did that no one saw coming. We nodded at each other and tossed our sticks to each other and we caught each other’s sticks as if we knew we were going to do that. It was a move that we did in perfect sync. The funny thing was we didn’t even know we were going to do that. None of our teams even discussed it before the fact. Of course, just like with the old routine it got a cheer from both sides of the field. We played with each other’s sticks until the end of the routine and dropped each other’s sticks and backed away.

After that, people dressed in Ben, Xavier, Ana, along with Betty and Dae’s uniforms came marching down the aisle playing the drums. Once their routine was done they stood in front of both teams and Jasper and I rolled our eyes at what happened next. Just like when I won the duel with Shadow Mist. Instead of chanting my name over and over, the crowd was chanting Team Enemy Lines over and over.

After we watched the routine I turned off the Tv.

“Well,” I said, “at least I wasn’t there in person to see it! That would’ve been a circus!”

“Speaking of circus,” said Jasper, “there’s one waiting for you when you get out of here!”

“Great!” I said. “Just perfect!”

“And Princess Twilight will be visiting you to give you the eighth medal you won!” Jasper said.

“I wonder why she would be visiting me?” I said. “Usually I go to them.”

Jasper shrugged, “I don’t know. It’s classified information, so I can’t tell you.”