• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 411 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 411

23) Me vs. Uncle Dylan

“Well now,” said Shadow Mist, “it’s about time you got here! And I see you brought some friends with you! How nice! I’ll feed them to my alligators along with you!”

“You’re just as arrogant as ever!” I said.

“And you haven’t changed a bit!” Shadow Mist said. “You still don't know how to talk to a king!”

“Like I’d ever show some respect to you!” I said. “I thought I already told you I don’t play nice with rulers I don’t recognize!”

“Tsk, tsk,” said Shadow Mist, “you disrespectful little brat! Oh, and I wanted to mention something to you that just might work in my favor!”

“And what would that be?” I snapped.

“I just hired a new general right before I declared war!” Shadow Mist said. “Oh Dylan! Why don’t you come out and play with your nephew? I’m sure he’s pretty happy to see you!”

Dylan came out of the shadows laughing like he was all too happy to see me.

“It’s so nice to see you again nephew!” Dylan said.

“I’m going to say the same thing to you that I said to dad,” I said, “bite me!”

“Oh,” said Dylan, “you saw your father again? I thought I killed him!”

“Oh yeah,” I said, “he’s dead alright!”

“Let me guess beacon of light training?” Dylan said.

I scoffed at him.

Dylan fell out laughing, “Did you just scoff at me nephew?”

“Don’t call me your nephew!” I snapped.

“Oh it’s been two years nephew,” said Dylan, “I looked at the records and that halfbreed Betty killed your mother a month before her birthday! So I think I've given you plenty of time to prepare to fight me. I hear you’ve been forming a herd haven’t you? Doesn’t matter I’ll kill them once I kill you!”

“There’s no way I’m going to let you do that!” I said.

“Oh?” Dylan said. “You have a sword on your back! I wonder, would that be your death walker weapon?”

“Uh… Norman?” Jasper said. “Who is this guy calling you nephew?”

“Apparently,” I said, “he’s my long-lost uncle! He got into my house and made a death threat to me two years ago! I actually forgot about it until now!”

“Wait a minute!” Jasper said. “You can forget about a death threat, but you’re bothered about a woman almost raping you! Wow!”

“So that’s what happened to General Norman?” Ben said.

“It’s still a long story,” I said, “and I don’t want to talk about it!”

When Dylan heard this he started laughing hysterically.

“You were almost raped?” Dylan laughed. “The new death walker? Almost raped? Now that’s funny!”

“It’s not funny!” I said. “I mean thank you for killing dad and all. But that’s not funny! Since you made a death threat to my family I won't hesitate to kill you! Just like Shadow Mist! I’m not going to show mercy to either of you!”

“Oh?” Dylan said.

“Yeah!” I said.

“Well, well, well,” said Dylan, “let’s get this show on the road shall we nephew? You and your little pet?”

“My name’s Jasper!” Jasper snapped.

Dylan had an amused look on his face, “You know what they say about a weak dog? All bark and no bite!”

“Why you little-“ I said as I tried to charge at Dylan. That’s when I realized that I couldn't move and I recognized it as the Terror Paralyze spell that Jack had taught me to get out of. He always told me that pain trumps fear every time. I had forgotten that when I first fought Theodore. When I couldn’t get past the spell Jack would cut my neck just to make a point.

“What’s going on,” said Jasper, “and why can’t I move?”

“Ever heard of the Terror Paralyze spell?” I said.

“Yes?” Jasper said.

"It's a spell that makes it so you can't move. When that happens you're at the mercy of the one who casts it!" I explained.

Dylan faked a yawn and took out of his pocket a gun like one that John had.

“Don’t worry Jasper,” I said, “you’ll be able to move in a second or two!”

“A second or two?” Dylan laughed. “That might be a little bit too late! As you can see, my death walker weapon is this gun! I prefer to use it in this form the most! See my sapphire jewel on it? Isn’t it beautiful? Since your friend Jasper is the closest to me, I’ll just kill him first!“

"Not on my watch you don’t!” I said. After I said that I had managed to regain control over my body. When Dylan fired his gun I got in front of Jasper and caught the bullets just like Betty did. I crushed the bullets in my hand and crushed them like I was crushing a tin can.

I then took my sword out and turned it into a dagger again and stabbed Jasper in the leg.

“Ow! What was that for?” Jasper screamed.

“You should be able to move now!” I said. “Pain trumps fear every time!”

He grabbed my arm and pulled the dagger out. I let out a sigh of relief.

“That was way too close for comfort!” Jasper said with a grin.

“Don’t thank me yet!” I said. “Not until after we take care of Dylan and Shadow Mist!”

“So overconfident!" Dylan said. "It looks like you guys are tag-teaming me now! Oh well…”

“Hmph,” I said, “you’ve tried to kill my family already! I think it’s only fair that Jasper gets a shot at you!”

Dylan raised an eyebrow, “Oh? That man’s part of your family? Well then, killing him will be one less Jewel to worry about!”

“That's not going to happen!” I said. I looked at Ben and the others, “Well gee don't let me stop you from doing any fighting! If not, you’re just as bad as Jasper when I first met him!”

“Hey!” Jasper said.

“But you’re the one that-“ Ben said.

“Shadow Mist wants?” I said. “Yeah, I know! In case you didn’t notice we’re in a team for a reason!”

“Oh right,” said Ben, “let’s go!”

Shadow Mist heard that and started laughing like a psycho.

“That’s sweet you’re sending your attack dogs to fight me?” Shadow Mist said. “That’s rich! Where’s the popcorn when you need it?”

“I wouldn’t be so cocky if I were you!” Ana said. When she charged him, she almost got to him when he did a teleportation spell and disappeared.

“Great,” said Ben, “I guess it’s time for me to track him now!”

“Track him?” Xavier said. “With what?”

“Did you pay attention when you watched me train?” Ben said.

“Actually no,” said Xavier, “I was paying more attention to Liz.”

“I knew it!” Ben said.

“Hmm,” said Dylan with curiosity, “I would love to finish you two off. But I think I want to see how this plays out. This should be entertaining!”

Jasper and I also watched, curious what would happen.

Ben took out a pouch the size of a wallet, opened it, and removed a cylindrical object. He squeezed it and the ends of the object extended out, releasing five daggers that he caught from the air as the object dropped to the ground.

Shadow Mist had an evil grin on his face as he lit up his horn, starting a spell. Ben aimed one of his daggers at him and threw it as Shadow Mist disappeared with a pop.

When Xavier saw this, he fell over laughing.

“You really should work on your aim, Ben!” Xavier teased.

“Shut up Xavier!” Ben said. He pointed in a certain direction. “He’s over there!”

Ben pointed right where Shadow Mist had just popped up.

“How did you-“ Xavier said.

“It’s a tracking dagger,” said Ben, “did you notice the handle on this dagger is different from regular daggers?”

“Huh?” Xavier said.

I looked over to see the dagger and it was indeed different from other daggers that I had seen. The daggers had black handles on them and there some sort of writing on them too.

“What’s that writing mean?” Xavier said.

“It’s my name written in pony language,” said Ben, “I also have a little bit of magic too, not like the death walker over here. But it’s enough to make them tracker daggers. All I have to do is aim it at the magic-user and it will lock on to their magic aura and allows me to sense where the target's aura moves. Just sit back and watch the show!”

It was comical seeing Shadow Mist doing his teleportation spell with Ben being able to spot him every time he popped up. It looked like Ben was playing a game of whack a mole.

“Although this is fun to watch,” said Dylan, “I’d rather continue traveling down the road with you two. And just like you, nephew, I can turn my weapon into anything I want. I’ll go with these for now!”

In Dylan’s hands were two medium size chains that looked similar to my iron chain attack.

“I hope your death walker abilities have improved,” said Dylan, “and your sword fighting should be well up to my level too!”

“Yeah,” I said, “considering my trainers were psycho!”

“You think you’re all grown up don’t you?” Dylan said. “But you’re still a child! Too helpless to stop a rapist!"

“I’m not a child!” I said.

Jasper then fired one of his arrows. All Dylan had to do was step to the side to dodge it.

“If you were trying to kill me,” said Dylan, “that wasn’t a good attempt! A for effort and everything. Like I said, all bark and no bite!”

Jasper fired another arrow and in trying to hit Dylan he almost hit me in the process. I jumped out of the way just in time.

“Are you trying to kill me?” I said. “Or is that your way of trying to knock some sense into me?”

“No,” snapped Jasper, “I actually missed that time!”

“Just like old times!” I smirked.

“Hello!” Dylan said. “Earth to Jasper and Norman! Are you forgetting about something?”

“In case you didn’t notice-“ I didn’t get a chance to finish my sentence when Dylan threw one of his chains and it wrapped around my hand. It felt like he was trying to take my hand off.

He threw his other chain and it wrapped around Jasper’s waist. I turned my sword into a dagger again and threw it at Jasper's chain cutting it in two. I did the same thing to the chain around my hand. Dylan then pulled his chains back to him.

“Jasper,” I said, “don’t let the ow!”

I felt Dylan’s chain hit my leg giving a deep cut all the way down it.

“What were you saying?” Jasper said.

“Don’t let those chains hit you!” I said. “As you can see, they can do some real damage!”

“You don't say!” Jasper said.

Dylan once again called his chains back and threw them again. I yelped as I barely jumped out of the way of one chain but the other chain wrapped around Jasper's ankle before I quickly sliced it in two.

“Hmm,” said Dylan, “looks like that wound I gave you is slowing you down. Too bad it’s starting to heal now! Oh well! I wonder why that doesn’t happen to me?”

“Jealous much?” I said.

“Not really!” Dylan said. “That doesn’t matter, I'm still going to kill you!"

I didn’t say a word. I growled, charging at Dylan. I didn’t get to tackle him when he threw his chain at me and it wrapped around my neck choking me. Jasper fired his arrow at the chain snapping it in two. I stumbled backward trying to catch my breath.

“Are you going to be okay?” Jasper said.

“I’m fine!” I croaked.

“Ow!” Jasper said. “Not this again!”

Once again one of Dylan’s chains had wrapped around Jasper’s waist. I looked down to see another chain had wrapped around my ankle.

“For crying out!” Dylan snarled at us. “Would you two just die already!”

“Aww, am I getting on your nerves? I think I'll just stay alive to keep doing that,” I taunted.

I didn't use my sword this time after one of Dylan’s chains had wrapped around my ankle. I stomped on the chain and yanked my ankle free. Jasper was clearly annoyed when he saw me do that.

“Seriously!” Jasper growled. “So much for me protecting you! Did you just twist your ankle doing that?”

“I don’t know!” I said.

“Did I just hear Jasper say that he was protecting my nephew?” Dylan laughed. “Aww, that’s cute!”

I tried to put pressure on my ankle wincing from the pain.

“Yeah, I twisted it!” I said.

“You’re an-“ Jasper didn’t get to finish his sentence because Dylan had thrown another chain and after I sliced it in two Jasper stumbled backward. The look on Dylan’s face was nothing but anger. I almost smiled at it but I had to remind myself that this battle was a fight to the death.

“Looks like the rodents need some stronger pest control!” Dylan said.

“Excuse me?” I snarled at him.

“Remember when I made that death threat?” Dylan said. “This is an extermination process! You and your family are not fit to bear the name Jewel on it!”

“And I would let you exterminate my family because?” I said.

“Like I said…” Dylan said. “Oh nevermind!”

Jasper and I looked to see that there were more chains hanging from Dylan’s hand. He had four of them in his hand. Dylan threw his chains at Jasper and this time he jumped out of the way.

“Not again!” I said.

Dylan threw one of his chains again and I caught it before it could wrap around my neck. I remembered the transfer move that I did with Xavier to make him save Ana.

“Transfer!” I said. After catching Dylan’s chain in my hand it started working with me and I pulled it away from him. He was definitely angry when I did that.

“Now how did my nephew figure out the transfer move?” Dylan said. "Interesting looks like the child has learned a few tricks on his own! If I didn't know any better I’d say he was paying attention in school!”

“I’m not a child!” I snapped.

Dylan threw his chains at me again and I caught one and threw it back at him.

“Transfer!” Dylan and I both said at the same time. Dylan’s chain transferred over to my hand and the chain that I had caught before transferred back over to Dylan’s hand.

“This is really getting old!” Dylan said.

I turned around to see Jasper fire another arrow and it grazed Dylan’s ear.

“Okay!” Dylan said. “Now I’m pissed!”

“Oh? What are you going to do about it?” I taunted.

I guess I had caught another chain without even thinking about it because it wrapped around my hand and disappeared as if I had absorbed it.

That’s new, I thought, works for me! Only three more to go!

Dylan must have gotten tired of throwing his chains and me catching them. I picked up on it and stopped using the transfer move and pulled out my sword.

“Well,” said Dylan, “it’s about time we pulled out or swords!”

“We?” I said.

“Yes, we!” Dylan said. “I can turn my gun into a sword too!”

Great! I thought. Perfect!

“Let’s see what you got, nephew!” Dylan said.

I rolled my eyes, "Oh brother!"

“Okay then,” said Jasper, “I think I’ll let you handle this one. I’m making my exit now!”

“Good idea!” I said. “Why don’t you go help the others with Shadow Mist! That’s probably more entertaining than this!”

“Yup,” said Jasper, “I’m outta here!”

“Well,” I said, “at least it’s only one sword!”

Dylan scoffed at me, “It might only be one sword, but I have more advanced moves than you!”

"I’m supposed to be scared of that because?” I said.

Dylan then charged at me aiming his sword at my chest. It was very quick but I managed to block in the nick of time. It reminded me of when I was training with Jack but Dylan’s attack was much faster.

I began to think about what the Terror Paralyze spell felt like. I noticed that it only worked when Jack made eye contact for a short while and was able to make me into a sitting duck on the battlefield.

I wonder if I can do it… I thought.

As soon as Dylan turned around and made eye contact with me I stared hard into his eyes and he started trembling.

“How did you-“ Dylan said. The look on his face was shock and anger and I couldn’t help but smile at it.

“What’s the matter uncle of mine?” I said. “Can’t you move?”

“You’re dead nephew!” Dylan roared.

“I don’t think so!” I said.

I looked to see that I had frozen Dylan with his sword sticking straight out because he was aiming it at my chest. I stood right in front of Dylan and turned my sword into a dagger again. I also looked over to see that my other teammates had gotten Shadow Mist right in the line of fire.

I smiled and thought, This is going to be good! I can kill two birds with one stone!

I took my dagger and aimed it at Dylan throwing it as hard as I could. The dagger pierced Dylan right through his chest, flew across the room, and lodged into Shadow Mist's chest behind him. Feeling confident, I called my dagger back. For a brief moment, I felt pain in my leg where Dylan's chain hit me. Before I realized it my dagger was inches from me. I tried to grab it but I wasn't fast enough and it pierced my chest right below my heart.

“No!” I heard Jasper cry.

“I’m-“ I said. Before I could finish my sentence I took two steps forward. The world went dark before I hit the ground.