• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 411 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 411

13) Olivia's Defiance

When I got back from my time off, Rainbow Dash’s second in command Luke, pulled me into his office.

“Ah, sir?” I said confused.

Luke sighed, “I wanted to talk to you about Olivia.”

“Yes sir,” I said, “I already have two reports filed against her. As far as I know, she hasn’t gotten the fourth report filed yet. So I don’t have grounds to have her sacked. Yet…”

“Well make my report the third one!” Luke exclaimed.

“What?” I said, “What did she do?”

“She punched your second in command right in front of me!” Luke said. “If I were you, I might recommend her for therapy!”

“I’ll think about that,” I said, “maybe she can tell that person about all her anger for Jasper.”

“What did Jasper do to her?” Luke said.

“I have no idea,” I said, “but for as long as I’ve known her, she always hated the guy.”

“Well,” said Luke, “I suggest you deal with her sooner rather than later. That’s all I have to have to say about this. You’re dismissed!”

“Yes sir!” I said.

I turned around and left the office.

Just perfect, I thought, now I have to yell at Olivia! I really don’t want to do that, but she’s forced my hand on that one!

* * *

“You’re not going to tell Norman,” growled Jasper, “or I will have payback for that!”

“Ha!” Olivia said. “Like you would hit a lady!”

I was coming around the corner to my office when I heard that.

“Have you figured out how you’re going to ask him?” Jasper asked.

“I have no idea,” said Olivia, “maybe I can leave a trail of rose petals! Maybe he’ll give me the time of day finally!”

I have a feeling of who they’re talking about, I thought, but I’m going to pretend that this isn’t happening!

I’ve seen this many times before that people are talking about someone and when they enter the room everyone goes quiet. That’s exactly what happened when Jasper and Olivia saw me come around the corner. Without thinking I just had to ask the question.

“Who are guys talking about?” I said.

“Oh no one special,” said Olivia, “there’s this new guy that enlisted that’s a total hunk! Right Jasper?”

“Yup!” Jasper agreed.

“Yeah,” I said, “you two aren’t very good liars. If any case, I don’t want to know.”

The three of us just stood there in awkward silence when I cleared my throat.

“Olivia,” I said, “I need to see you in my office now!”

“Maybe this is the perfect time for you to tell him Olivia!” Jasper sneered.

“Shut it Jasper!” Olivia snapped.

“I totally,” I said, “don’t want to know what that was about! Olivia, follow me!”

Olivia followed me into my office and I closed the door.

* * *

“Olivia…” I snapped.

“Yes sir?” Olivia said.

“You want to tell me why you punched my second in command in front of Rainbow Dash's second in command?” I asked.

“I had no idea who that was!” Olivia shouted.

“It doesn’t matter Olivia!” I said. “As long as you are around your fellow comrades, you need to be on your best behavior! Honestly, I’m surprised John let you get away with punching me and Jasper out in front of him! Sometimes I wish I had a gun to fire into the air like John did!”

“But sir-“ Olivia said.

“Don’t you but sir me!” I interrupted. “I don’t like being called that! You’ve had three reports filed against you all in one week! And that’s since you’ve been promoted to Sargent!”

“I still can’t believe you gave Jasper the higher job title!” Olivia scoffed.

“Silence Olivia!” I yelled. “I’m going to say this once, and only once, if you get one more report filed against you that is grounds to have you sacked! Then you’ll have to stand before the board to answer for it! Do you want that to happen?”

“No sir…” Olivia shook her head.

“Then do your job no matter how high the title is!” I said. “You got that? If you don’t, I will not stand up for you anymore! You’re dismissed!”

“Yes sir…” Olivia said.

I sat down and put my face on the table. No sooner had I done that, there was a knock on my door.

“You may enter!” I said.

I looked up to see that it was John.

“I heard you yelling at Olivia when I came around the corner!” John smirked. “I wish I’d done that when she was under my charge just for punching you and Jasper! I don’t know what I was thinking in not doing that!”

“Unfortunately,” I said, “Shining Armor handed the toddlers over to me.”

I could tell John was trying his best not to laugh.

“I take it you wanted to talk to me about something?” I said.

“Yes,” said John, “I heard you had it ruff on your last assignment. According to second Luke, you almost got killed! You’re lucky you’re a death walker because that’s the only reason you’re still alive!”

“Yeah I know,” I said and I bit the inside of my cheek, “and I’m not talking about it.”

“Why not,” said John, “you know you can’t hold it in. I heard you used to play guitar twelve years ago. But you put it down ever since Betty died. Maybe you pick it up again? You could probably get your feelings out through song. That’s just a thought. You can’t take care of your troops if you can’t take care of yourself. That’s all I’m saying.”

“Is that all you have to say?” I said.

“Yes,” said John, “oh and more thing Norman.”

“Yes?” I said.

“We all have an early day because it’s Nightmare Night,” said John, “you going to celebrate?”

“No John…” I said.

“Why not?” John said.

“It’s Betty’s birthday today…” I said.

“Oh I see…” John said.

“You can go now John…” I said.

“See you later!” John said.

* * *

That night around six o’ clock the time of Betty’s birth is whenI go visit her grave. Sometime I say something to her hoping that it would reach her in the afterlife or sometimes I say nothing at all. This time I choose not to say anything this time.

I just stared at the chess piece hanging from her tombstone. Somehow I knew that she was going to be the queen of hell after she died. And that’s what the chess piece was, the queen. I was hoping that she would come get it some day but she never did.

I wonder what she’s doing now that she’s the queen of hell? I thought. I wonder how old her daughter Ruby is? Cozy Glow is going to be thriteen in two days. At least she hasn’t hit puberty yet! That talk is not going to be fun at all!

I knew that Jasper and Olivia had followed me here because I know when I’m being followed.

“Sir,” said Olivia, “are you okay?”

“Please don’t call me that right now Olivia!” I snapped. “We’re off the clock so call me Norman!”

“So,” asked Jasper, “how old would she have been if she hadn’t died?”

“Thirty-five…” I said.

“Oh…” Jasper said.

We stood there in award silence for a little bit. Then without warning Betty came out of her grave as if she were a zombie. I jumped back and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw it was her.

“Did you have to pop out of your grave like a zombie?” I said.

“Oh,” Betty laughed, “sorry about that Norman.”

When Jasper and Olivia saw that there was a crown on her head they bowed to her.

Betty groaned, “You can look at me now.”

Olivia and Jasper stood up, unsure of what to do.

“You too huh?” I laughed.

“Yup,” said Betty, “I heard about your promotion to general. Knowing you, you’re not happy about it. It’s okay, because I don’t accept the fact that I’m considered a legend now. Or being bowed to because I’m the queen of hell now. So, are these your friends?”

“Um,” I said, “yeah, these two stalkers are Olivia and Jasper. Olivia and Jasper meet my sister Betty.”

“Hey,” growled Jasper, “we’re not stalkers, we’re just worried about you, that’s all.”

“Aww that’s sweet,” said Betty, “looks like your friends are looking out for you. Oh and I heard you’re dating Robert and Sunset now. I thought I told you not to fall in love with the girl, but you did!”

Betty and I then exchanged a look and fell out laughing.

“Are you following any of this Olivia?” Jasper said with a confused look.

“Nope,” said Olivia, “not at all.”

“I know you don’t like this holiday,” said Betty, “but I think it’s time you try to have fun today. Don’t you think?”

“I’ll think about it,” I said, “but I still don’t like this holiday though.”

“What’s that chess piece hanging from my tombstone?” Betty asked. “It looks like the queen. How’d you know that was going to happen?”

I shrugged, “I guess I just knew somehow. Anyway, it’s yours you can take it if you want.”

“Honestly,” said Betty, “I think it should stay on my tombstone right where it belongs. And remember what I said Norman, you take as much time as you need to move on. It could take a whole other decade for all I care! I probably would’ve done the same thing if you had died before me.”

The writing on Betty’s tombstone lit up as if it had LED lights in it.

Betty groaned, ‘Well, I’m being summoned. That happens a lot nowadays. Good thing demons don’t need to sleep! Bye now!”

I waved goodbye to Betty and she went back into her grave the same way she came out of it.

* * *

Later that night, instead of celebrating Nightmare Night I went to the part of the training yard that held the virtual training simulator. The simulator was like fighting on a movie set but the enemies were more lifelike. I set the difficulty on Hard level 2. I only needed to get past that level and then I would be on Hard level 3 and then I would be on expert.

This fighting simulator was particularly designed for hand to hand combat. Although I wanted to be alone for this training Robert, Jasper and Olivia we’re watching me. Of course they were having a conversation about me.

“Does he do this every year on Nightmare Night?” Jasper asked.

“Yup,” said Robert, “every year since Betty died.”

“No wonder why he’s so skilled at hand to hand combat!” Jasper mused.

“Yeah,” said Robert, “he would have broken my neck in a couple of sparring matches but he never did. Probably because we’ve been best friends since grade school.”

“Yeah, he’s getting stronger and stronger by the day!” Olivia exclaimed. “He’s pretty sexy too!”

Jasper groaned, “Could you not be anymore obvious Olivia!”

“You should talk!” Olivia said. “You’re the one who whistles at him!”

“Oh boy,” said Robert, “you know, if you guys like him, you probably tell him! And no, I’m not telling him for you!”

“I have no ideas what you’re talking about Robert!” Jasper said sarcastically.

“Who’s being obvious now?” Olivia taunted.

“If you guys don’t shut up,” said Robert, “I’m pushing you out the door and locking it!”

After I came across the 20th enemy, this one actually caught me by pulling me up by the ankle. I swung around and punched the enemy in the chest releasing me from him. After that, I turned off the simulator and glared at Robert, Jasper and Olivia.

“I knew you guys were watching me!” I yelled. “I could hear Robert yelling!”

Robert sighed, “Sorry about that Norman! These two just will not shut up when they’re around each other!”

“You two idiots are as annoying as ever!” I said.

“What about Robert?” Olivia asked. “He was talking too!”

“Robert,” I said, “usually stays quiet when he watches me. But you two on the other hand, seriously?”

“You should leave now,” sighed Robert, “before he loses his temper! You don’t want him to turn you into a punching bag for this!”

“Yeah,” said Olivia, “I think we should go now, right Jasper?”

“Oh right,” said Jasper, “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow Norman!”

When Jasper and Olivia left, I groaned.

“What?” Robert said.

“I’m going to be stuck with those two for the rest of my military career!” I said.

“It’s kind of funny though,” smirked Robert, “they’ve been coming around more asking about you. I have no idea why.”

“Just perfect,” I said, “I don’t know how I’m going to keep those two from stalking me!”

“I feel bad for you,” laughed Robert, “you just can’t chase them away can you?”

“That’s not funny Robert!” I said.

“You know,” said Robert, “those two were cheering for you during your duel with Shadow Mist just as hard as me and Sunset were.”

I groaned, “As if I don’t have enough to worry about! If I hear them yelling again, I’m going to behead them with my sword!”

“It can’t be helped,” Robert laughed, “people just love to watch you fight that’s all. Speaking of love, have you figured it out yet?”

“Nope,” I said, “like I said before. I don’t want to know…”

* * *

In the next two days was Cozy Glow’s birthday. That morning I saw Cozy Glow out in the yard practicing her death walker training.

“Hi dad!” Cozy Glow said.

“How’s it going Amethyst?” I asked.

“It’s going really good,” said Cozy Glow, “it’s my birthday today and I’m almost thirteen!”

“Almost?” I said with a raised eyebrow.

“My birthday isn't until this afternoon,” said Cozy Glow, “you know that! I can’t wait to see what you got me!”

I smiled, “Don’t worry, it’ll be something special!”

The gift that I was going to give Cozy Glow was something that I was going to give to her a year ago. But I chickened out and gave her something else instead. It was a friendship necklace that I was going to give Betty but I never got the chance to. I figured it would be perfect to give to Cozy Glow since I am her father now. It was to say that wherever she goes her father will always be with her.

When it was time for Cozy Glow’s birthday, I gave her the present. It was met with a chorus of the ‘awes’ throughout the room.

“Thanks dad!” Cozy Glow said. “I’ll never take it off!”

“It’s no problem at all,” I said, “just don’t lose it okay?”

“I won’t dad!” Cozy Glow said.

After that Pinkie Pie just had to bring out the hugest birthday cake that I had ever seen! It said happy birthday Amethyst Jewel on it. I had to laugh at that because it’s Pinkie Pie. Cozy Glow's birthday is the only one I enjoy celebrating. That is the one day that I don’t have to go to a grave site for it.