• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 410 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 410

22) I'm not Saving You Anymore!

“Me?” Jasper choked. “Why me? Why can’t Ben, Xavier, or Ana do it?”

“Why did you bring your long arrows? You know, the ones that have a long chain attached to them?” I responded.

“So I don’t have to reload?” Jasper replied.

“Yup!” I said. “So you’re perfect for the job!”

“Great, lovely," Jasper said.

Jasper then loaded up his first arrow and shot it at the enemy. The enemy fell off the side of the bridge splashing into the water below. Jasper yanked the chain pulling the arrow back and Shadow Mist alligators rushed onto the pony and ripped him apart limb by limb. Well, that’s one way to get rid of a body!

Jasper kept aiming his arrows and pulling them back. The enemies fell into the gators waiting jaws one by one. I guess the alligators were hungry today!

After the last enemy was incapacitated, Xavier clapped Jasper on the back.

“Nice job Jasper!” Xavier cheered.

“Um,” said Jasper, “thank you?”

“Okay, Ana it’s your turn!” I commanded.

“What am I supposed to do?” Ana questioned.

I groaned, “Go inside and pull the lever and lower the bridge or are you too busy staring at my butt?”

Xavier, Jasper, and Ben snorted. Ana probably was staring at my butt again, I don't blame them for finding that funny. I wasn't about to stop them from laughing either.

“Oh yeah,” said Ana, “sure…”

Ana went inside the small building that had the lever to drawbridge in it. Once Ana took out the guards the drawbridge came down. When we entered the castle we came under enemy fire. I felt my smokescreen attack come out, blinding the enemies.

"You guys have about thirty seconds to take them out!” I said.

“Alright!” Ben said. “Let’s go! It’s time to end this war!”

I turned around as Ben took a stallion's horn and snapped the horn in two with his bare hands. I finally reached my limit on the smokescreen when I felt another attack coming out.

“Oh crap!” I said. Great not this attack! I hate this attack!

Jasper looked over at me with a look of concern. I took a deep breath and the attack burst forth from my mouth. The enemies jumped for cover, but the cover melted from the heat of the flames incinerating them behind it. I always want to puke when that attack happens.

Jasper frowned “That doesn’t look good, are you going to be okay?”

“I’m fine,” I said, “let’s keep moving!”

I felt no more attacks coming for the moment so I took the opportunity to use my sword. I ran through the enemy taking down as many as I could. Before I knew it, every single one of the enemies that were on the first floor was either dismembered or killed.

When we finally made it to the next floor. I took the opportunity to catch my breath.

“You know you’re a death walker right?” Ana said.

“Yeah,” I said, “I can’t summon my attacks at will right now! I haven’t been able to figure that out yet. My attacks come out at random. I’ll figure it out sooner or later.”

“Huh,” said Ana, “interesting I’d never thought I’d see the day I’d fight side by side with a death walker! Not to mention he’s sexy too!”

I groaned. “Really Ana? Not the time for this! Stop staring at my butt and keep fighting!”

“I’m not staring at your butt at the moment!” Ana snapped. “Although it’s a nice view from here!”

Right when I was going to say some snappy remark I felt another attack coming out.

Great, not this again! I thought I’d reached my limit with that one! Maybe, I can try and keep it down this time? I should try thinking about water putting it out? I thought.

I tried doing as I thought and it worked the urge for the attack to come out and it worked like a charm. Huh, why didn't I think of this before? Although Sunset didn't teach me how to control my powers yet.

The enemy had the bright idea to have a cannon on one of the upper levels of the castle. Wow, Shadow Mist is the definition of the word 'idiot' if he has his soldiers doing stuff like that!

“If I didn’t know any better,” said Jasper, “these idiots are trying to bring the house down... or castle!”

I tried my best to keep from laughing at that. The enemy used their cannon to fire at us, we jumped out of the way as the cannonballs blasted through the cobblestone wall behind us. The next time I jumped out of the way of cannon attack I turned around to see a stallion floating two swords in his magic. I don’t want to know how many ponies that Shadow Mist trained to do that.

The stallion had a devilish grin on his face like he was very excited to fight me. Like the mare I fought, he turned his swords into an X. When he threw them behind me, when I saw the attack and jumped over them. The stallion then launched his swords at my head. I swiftly blocked them with my sword.

“Shadow Mist was right!” The stallion smiled. “You are a difficult opponent! But you look like you’re running out of steam!”

“I’m not done yet! Idiot!” I snapped.

“Feisty one aren’t you?” The stallion said. “When I win this battle, I’ll have you in my bed!”

“As if!” I said. I rolled my eyes. “I don’t think I’m interested so I’ll have to politely say no!”

“Awe,” the stallion pouted, “a sexy guy like you turning down a handsome devil like me?”

“I wish people would stop calling me sexy!” I snapped.

The stallion laughed, “That’s too bad, it comes with the territory!”

“Not if I got a thing or two to say about it!” I said.

“Norman,” said Jasper, “will you kill the guy already!”

“Fine, fine…” I said. Jasper rolled his eyes.

The stallion started throwing his swords at me with alarming speed. I was getting tired of fighting this stupid battle over and over again.

I’m tired of fighting the Shadow Mist stand in’s! So I did a stupid move, I stopped fighting and put my sword away, and waited for the next attack.

“What the hell are you doing?” Jasper said. I didn’t respond to him. I stood there and let the stallion make his attack.

The stallion laughed at me, “You’re not going to use your sword anymore? You’re stupid you know that? Oh well, this is going to be easy!”

I smiled at him as I put a handout and caught the sword letting it pierce my hand but not enough to chop it off. I stopped the other sword with my other hand and snapped it in two. I winced at the pain as I pulled the other sword out of my hand.

“Are you nuts?” Jasper said. He looked stunned by what I did.

“Nope,” I said, “I got tired of fighting the X blade!”

“You’re bleeding you-“ Jasper was about to finish his sentence. He looked at my hand to see that it was already healed.

I smiled, “What were you about to call me?”

“Never mind!” Jasper said. “Too bad Sunset isn’t here to slap you!”

“Whatever!” I said.

“Let’s keep going,” said Jasper with urgency, “I’ll knock some sense into you later!”

When we got to the next level we came around the corner and a mare floating two swords in her magic stood battle-ready.

No way am I fighting that again! I thought. That’s as bad as saving Ana! I remembered something Betty said. She explained to me about being able to change my death walker weapon into anything. I don't know what made me think of it, I just did. Hmm, Betty did say I could change my death walker weapon into something else! I never thought about that before! Let me see, I’m going to change my sword into a dagger!

I focused my thoughts. I felt my weapon change in my hand and looked down.

My sword had turned into a dagger!

I threw the dagger at the mares swords and they broke apart out of her magic and fell to the ground. Xavier took his blades and sliced the swords in two. I smiled as my dagger turned back into my sword when I caught it.

“How did you learn to do that?” Ana said. “I thought you couldn’t summon your death walker abilities at will yet!”

I shrugged, “I don’t know!”

We couldn’t say anything else because the enemy had the bright idea to have a cannon on this floor also. One of the missiles that they fired aimed at us and it hit the ground and broke the floor in the process. I jumped out of the way in time but Ana didn’t. Damn it! That woman can’t keep herself out of trouble! And have half a mind to let her fall, but no I’m not letting one of my teammates die! Even if she is crazy!

I thought of an iron chain and looked down to see that attack wrapped around my wrist. I shot the chain out of my hand and caught her before she could fall. For some reason, a light bulb went off in my head. I have no idea how I'm thinking of these crazy ideas in the heat of battle. I wonder if I can let it look like someone else saved her when I did? This might work!

Xavier was standing right next to me watching the whole thing take place. I had an evil smile on my face and hoped that this next move would work. “Hey, Xavier! Come here for a second!”

Xavier looked down and saw Ana with my iron chain wrapped around her waist. "What do you want me to do Norman? I can't help you with this, you do realize that right?"

I smiled, “Actually, I think you can help!”

“What the-“ Xavier said as I grabbed his hand.

“Transfer!” I said. I saw my iron chain attack transfer itself to Xavier's wrist and wrapped around it. I laughed as I saw the confused look on Xavier’s face. It worked! Awesome! I'm not saving that crazy woman anymore, Xavier can do it!

“What did you just do?” Xavier said.

“Oh, nothing!” I snorted. “I transferred my damsel in distress to you!”

Jasper started laughing while he hit another enemy with an arrow. “Good one Norman! I wish I could do that!”

“Oh. Xavier?” I said, “you might want to pull her up before she falls to her doom or you can let her fall! Whichever one you prefer! I could care less!”

“You little jerk!” Xavier growled. “There’s going to be payback for this!”

“Oh, I’m so scared!” I said, with sarcasm.

Xavier snapped, “Fine, I’ll pull the nutcase up!”

Xavier stepped backward as he struggled to pull Ana up. “I think she could lose a few pounds! This is not easy at all!”

I tried to stifle a laugh to the best of my ability, “I wouldn’t tell her that! She might slap you!”

When Xavier finally finished pulling Ana up, I couldn’t help but laugh as she had a confused look on her face. “Xavier? You saved me? And not Norman? I’m confused.”

“A thank you would be nice!” Xavier snapped.

Ana looked down at the ground, “Um… Thank You?”

I laughed, “I told you, I’m not saving you anymore! Now if you’ll excuse me I have a battle to fight!”

* * *

As the fighting continued it looked like it wasn’t going to end anytime soon. It reminded me of fighting a difficult boss in a video game.

At one point in the fight, I recovered enough to summon my death walker abilities and thought of an iron chain with a blade at the end of it. I felt it wrap around my wrist and I shot it up and the blade at the end of it stuck into the ceiling. I used it like a kid would use a rope to swing over and jump into a river. Instead of jumping into a river, I used it to swing around and sliced as many of the enemies with my sword in the process. When I finished with that, the iron chain attack disappeared. I could only assume that it was the limit for it. Ana and Xavier saw this and whistled at it. “Oh boy, stop watching me fight and do your own fighting!”

“Sorry!” Xavier and Ana said.

When they went back to fighting Ana looked bored, she didn't seem to be into it. I wondered if she was hoping to get into trouble again and have me save her. Considering that there was an increase in the number of enemies, I felt the need to use the fire and earth attack. I didn’t want to have to use this attack but I guess it’s necessary.

I thought of how it felt coming out and it came out. I destroyed one-third of the enemies no problem at all.

Jasper smiled at me, “I didn’t realize you could summon your attacks at will now!”

“Yeah,” I said, “watch out!”

Like when I was fighting that wizard, a huge boulder came flying at us out of nowhere. I jumped in the air kicking the boulder and it shattered into a million pieces. It was Ben that whistled at me this time. “I heard you could do something like that! I didn’t believe it! Well, I guess seeing is believing!”

“Wow!” Ana said. “You can save people and not even bat an eye at it!”

Ben turned around to see a stallion charge at him. He jumped in the air and kicked him in the chest. This set the guy flying down the steps and into where they had crumbled beneath us.

“I fight with fist number one and fist number two!” Ben declared. “Don’t forget foot number one and foot number two!”

Finally, we had either killed or disabled the enemy on the last floor. I was about to go to the rooftop so I could get my hands on Shadow Mist. The rest of my team was out of breath but I wanted to keep going.

“Can we… At least… Stop and rest first?” Ana said, trying to catch her breath.

“I agree with Ana this time!” Xavier panted.

“Fine…” I said. We all sat down and rested before we could get to the king.

* * *

When we got to the rooftop we ran into another set of enemies. Jasper and the rest of the team were not too happy about it.

“This again!” Jasper groaned.

“My thoughts exactly!” I agreed. As I was fighting the next set of enemies, without warning two swords in the shape of an X came flying at me out of nowhere. I saw it coming and jumped out of the way in the nick of time. Please tell me that’s Shadow Mist this time!

It wasn’t until after we finished killing the set of enemies that were in front of us, I heard his laughter. It was the laughter that I heard when I received his message of war. There was no mistaking it, the laughter was coming from the one and only Shadow Mist.