• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 410 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 410

15) Enemy of the Throne

I was heading to my office after my lunch break. I just about to turn the corner and I heard Jasper and Chole talking, I stopped because I was curious about what they were talking about.

“Oh come on Jasper,” said Chole, “you know you like me! Just ask me out already! You know you want to!”

“Do you have a screw loose?” Jasper said. “Or do you need your hearing checked? I said no! I’d rather be mauled by a rampaging bull then go out on a date with you!”

“So you have a girlfriend already don’t you?” Chole said. “I’m not surprised though.”

“No,” said Jasper, “I’m single and I’m not interested!”

“Oh so the spots open then?” Chole said. “I can wait for you.”

“For the last time Chole,” said Jasper, “I just told you no and to add onto that I’m gay! Well you just leave me alone already?”

“Awww,” said Chole, “how could a sexy guy like you be gay? I don’t believe it! That’s got to be a joke!”

Without warning Chole kissed Jasper and he gagged on it.

“Don’t worry Jasper,” said Chole, “I know you want me! We should be together don’t you see? It’s destiny!”

“Fat chance of that happening!” Jasper said.

Before Chole could say or do anything else Jasper turned around and ran as fast as he could away from her. Little did he know I was around the corner listening.

“Let me guess,” I said, “you tried to turn the girl down easy?”

“Yup,” said Jasper, “and that totally backfired!”

I cracked up, “Yeah, the girl obviously didn’t get the hint!”

“That’s not funny Norman!” Jasper said.

“Yeah it is,” I said, “now you know how I feel! You’ll get a crowd of women watching you train now!”

“Let’s hope not,” said Jasper, “what is with women these days! I know you said that women were annoying. I now know what you were talking about!”

“Well at least I have a sane girlfriend instead of one that’s crazy!” I said. “Good thing I didn’t have Olivia fall for me! She was crazy too! I didn’t realize that until her last words to me!”

“Yeah,” said Jasper, “about that, did she say anything to that effect when she told you her last words?”

I just about choked on what Jasper just said.

“What are you talking about Jasper?” I said.

Jasper smiled, “Olivia did fall for you! Remember when you came around the corner and we both went silent on you?”

“Yeah?” I said. I really didn’t want to hear what Jasper was going to say next but he said it.

“And remember when Olivia said something about a total hunk that had just enlisted?” Jasper said.

“Ah…” I did want to respond to that at all. I guess the look on my face said it all because Jasper would not stop laughing and I could feel myself turning red.

“Was she the one who…” I said.

“Wrote the letters?” Jasper laughed. “That would be a no!”

“Why do you think that?” I said.

“Because I heard her and Robert talking about it!” Jasper said.

“If it’s not Olivia does Robert know who it is? Because if he does I’m going to kill him!” I said. Jasper started laughing again and he stopped laughing after a while.

“Honestly,” said Jasper, “think about it Norman! If Robert knew who it was he would’ve said something! I know because he’s been doing some investigating himself. He even told me that he’s getting pissed about the letters! I think he just wants it to stop because you’re uncomfortable with it. Until you figure out who it is I don’t think the letters will stop.”

“Great!” I said. “And I’m going to pretend you didn’t just tell me that Olivia had feelings for me and exactly how do you know about the love letters?”

“Oh that’s easy!” Jasper laughed. “It’s been circulating around everywhere! I’m surprised you didn’t hear the girls whispering every time you walked by them!”

“Actually I did,” I sighed, “I just pretended not to hear it! It’s still happening and it’s getting on my nerves!”

“Ha, ha,” said Jasper, “oh well maybe one of the lucky ladies will get a chance to join your herd, that is if it’s a lady!”

“Not funny Jasper!” I said. “If any case, have fun with the women watching you train!”

“Yeah, yeah whatever!” Jasper said.

* * *

It happened just as I thought it would happen. On the next off duty training day there was a crowd of women watching Jasper train and Chole was in the thick of it. As always there was a crowd of women watching me train on the simulator with Sunset.

“You know,” said Sunset, “you can use your sword too! It is a death walker weapon after all.”

“Oh, sure…” I said. I didn’t realize that I wasn’t my sword until Sunset said something about it. I guess I didn’t feel that need to.

As usual it’s not until I couldn’t summon anymore of my death walker abilities that Sunset turned off the simulator.

“Not bad Norman,” said Sunset, “you got two hundred fifty this time! You’ve been practicing lately haven’t you?”

“I only do so when I get a chance to!” I said.

“And it totally shows!” Sunset said.

“Thanks,” I said, “now if I could get rid of the crowd of women watching me, that would be great!”

“Maybe you could dump more of them on Jasper?” Sunset laughed.

“Yeah I doubt that,” I said, “not to mention now there’s a love song playing about me on the radio!”

Sunset fell into laughing uncontrollably.

“I don’t think anything about this is funny!” I said.

“I’m sorry,” said Sunset, “you’re just the gift that keeps on giving aren’t you?”

I rolled my eyes, “Yeah, and I’m letting her join my ‘herd’ either! It’s called family to me but it’s the same difference I guess.”

“So you figured out who wrote it?” Sunset said.

“Yeah,” I said, “a co-worker that’s also a second in command for another general. Her name is Liz. I tried to turn her down easy but the girls off her rocker and can’t take the hint! It’s just like Chole with Jasper!”

“That’s funny,” said Sunset, “you can figure out who wrote a song about you but you can’t figure out who wrote the love letters? How many have you gotten now?”

I groaned, “Six… And Robert’s pissed off about it too.”

“I know,” said Sunset, “he told me. I’m not surprised, I’m a little pissed off by it too.”

“Yup,” I said, “because I’m general, I can’t necessarily hide under a rock. Which I want to and as far knowing who wrote the love song AppleJack told me who it was. It’s getting really annoying! Girls keep coming forward saying they wrote the love letters!”

“How do you know if it’s not them?” Sunset said.

“Because I ask them what was written in it,” I said, “and so far none of them has been able to tell me the correct answer.”

“Interesting…” Sunset said.

* * *

When I came around the corner to my office I just about skidded to a stop when I saw her. It was like she was waiting for me to come by.

“Hey Norman!” Liz said. “Did you hear my song today? Exactly when are we going to get together?”

“For the last time Liz,” I said, “I’m not interested!”

“Oh come on,” said Liz, “you’ve already got one woman in your group what’s wrong with one more?”

“I’m not letting you join my ‘herd’!” I said. “You’re not invited!”

Without warning the same thing that Chole did to Jasper, Liz did to me. She then hugged me which caught me off guard. I didn’t hug her back in return.

“I said no Liz!” I said. I gently pushed her away from me.

“What’s the matter Norman?” Liz said. “I don’t see anything wrong with a kiss and hug!”

“Uh-huh,” I said, “as I just said before you’re not invited! Now I have some paperwork to take care of in my office and please don’t follow me!”

I ran as fast as I could to my office and quickly closed the door. Right when I had done that I heard a knock on the door and I really wanted to pretend that I wasn’t there.

“I really don’t want to say what I have to say,” I said, “you may enter!”

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that it was Jasper.

“I see you’re having a ruff time with the ladies too huh?” Jasper said.

“Yup,” I said, “at least you don’t have any songs written about you yet!”

Jasper really wanted to laugh but he chose not to.

“I heard your love song,” said Jasper, “I think it’s sweet of her to do that. Maybe it’ll become famous one day?”

“I hope not!” I said.

* * *

“Are you serious commander?” I said.

“I wish I could say that I wasn’t,” said Rainbow Dash, “but unfortunately I am. Olivia escaped custody and is now a fugitive. She’s to be brought back dead or alive. Since she was your former teammate I’m sending you with your second in command on this one!”

“Yes ma’am!” I said.

“Now,” said Rainbow Dash, “we’ve pin pointed her last location because she has a tracking device implanted under her skin. It’s standard protocol for all prisoners. There’s no way she could take it out, unless she wants to bleed to death. Olivia can’t evade us for long. Since she knows you, it’s possible she will come back willingly. If not, bring her back dead do you understand?”

I sighed, “I don’t know if she’ll come back willingly, commander.”

“And why’s that?” Rainbow Dash said.

“Oh yeah that’s right,” said Second Luke, “I have the recording of her last words here.”

Second Luke played the recording of Olivia’s last words before the guards led her away in handcuffs. When Rainbow Dash heard it her jaw dropped.

“Well then,” said Rainbow Dash, ”even after hearing what I just heard she needs to be brought back dead. If she doesn’t value her comrades that means she doesn’t value me and she definitely doesn’t value the princess either! She would probably let the princess die just to win a war! And that makes her an enemy of the throne! So even though it hurts because she was your former teammate and friend. The job still needs to be done!”

I looked down at the floor because I really didn’t want to have to do that.

“Look,” said Luke, “Commander Rainbow Dash is right, I know it’s going to be hard but I know you and your second in command can get this done.”

Rainbow Dash sighed, “I’m sorry that it’s come down to this General Norman but it has to be done, you’re dismissed!”

“Yes ma’am!” I said. I hung my head as I walked out of the office. I really didn’t want to kill Olivia even if her last words were crazy.

* * *

I told Jasper what Rainbow Dash had told me and his jaw dropped.

“Why would they want her back dead?” Jasper said. “Were her last words really that bad?”

“Yup,” I said, “enough to make her an enemy of the throne and what Commander Rainbow Dash told me she’s a threat to the princess too.”

Jasper bit his bottom lip I could tell he didn’t want to kill Olivia anymore than I did.

“Well,” I said, “I guess we’d better get moving the sooner we rip the bandage off the better…”

* * *

When we got to Olivia’s last location she didn’t hide or cower in fear that we had come to her at all. She had the most evil smile that I had ever seen and that was enough to make my blood run cold.

“Hello boys,” said Olivia, “it’s so nice to see you again! And my, my Norman you’re looking more sexy since the last time I saw you!”

“It hasn’t been that long since you last saw me Olivia,” I said, “it’s only been a week!”

Olivia smirked, “It’s been only that long? I must’ve hit my head on something! Either way you’re still my sexy general!”

“What is your problem Olivia?” Jasper said. “I mean know you’re pissed off at Norman for not giving you the job of second in command but did you really have to go that far?”

Olivia put her index finger on her chin and looked like she was thinking about something.

“Well?” Jasper said. “Do you have an answer for us or not?”

“Oh I have an answer for you alright!” Olivia said. “Just face it Jasper, I would’ve been better for the job of second in command and Norman knows it!”

“Excuse me?” I snarled. “Did you pay attention to anything we talked about with your last words?”

“Yeah, yeah, “ said Olivia, “oh and the other reason I would’ve let Jasper die, is because I didn’t love him like I love you Norman!”

“Are you kidding me Olivia?” Jasper said.

“No,” said Olivia, “I’m not kidding! Just like I said before Jasper you’re an ugly duckling!”

“I wouldn’t have been interested anyway!” Jasper said. “I’m gay!”

“Oh?” Olivia said with a raised eyebrow. “I don’t believe you! Why don’t you come here and prove it?”

“And I have to prove anything to you because?” Jasper said.

Olivia fell out laughing as she had just played an awesome prank on us.

“Well,” said Jasper, “I don’t have any problem killing her now!”

I laughed, “I’m getting there but not quite.”

“That’s what the commander’s orders were?” Olivia laughed. “Now you wouldn’t do that to me now Norman? I can tell by the look on your face that you don’t want to! Besides you would never kill a lady would you?”

By that time I was really pissed off and I was thinking about giving her a painless death but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do that yet. Olivia had that evil smile on her face again and I did not like that look at all.

“Since you’re supposedly gay Jasper,” said Olivia, “I think I can help you with that. You Norman I have something special for you! Starting with these…”

My eyes went wide in terror as she threw flower pedals and made sure they landed in a trail between me and her. I felt even more terror when I realized that the flower pedals were shaped like hearts. I looked back up at her and she winked at me and blew a kiss.

“There’s no way,” I said, “that I would do that with you at all!”

“So you’re on to me!” Olivia said. “It’s funny though, cause you didn’t pick up on any of my hints when I was working with you!”

“What is she talking about Norman?” Jasper said.

I pointed at the flower petals, “Do you not see the heart-shaped flower pedals or are you blind?”

“What?” Jasper said. He looked at where I was pointing and looked as though he was trying to process the information he had just been given. When he finally got what I was saying he was pissed.

“You wouldn’t dare Olivia!” Jasper said.

Once again Olivia laughed as if she had just played a prank. She laughed so hard she had tears in her eyes. When Jasper saw this he went from pissed to seething with rage.

“Aww,” said Olivia, “did I hurt Jasper’s feelings? Anyway I’m done talking! Are you two coming to kill me or not? Actually that’s not going to happen!”

“Why’s that?” Jasper snarled.

“Because I have friends,” said Olivia, “I made friends on the last mission that I was on before I got sacked! Oh boys!”

Olivia snapped her fingers and six guys came out of the shadows one of the guys that was standing right beside her smiled at us.

“Are these the two guys,” said the man, “that you have beef with?”

“Yes Jay,” said Olivia, “these two are the ones, that one over there is Jasper you can have fun with him in a moment he just confessed to me that he’s gay. But Norman over here is the one that I want. I already put out the signal see?”

Olivia pointed to the flower petals and Jay nodded.

“I understand,” said Jay, “looks like you two haven’t had your honeymoon yet! I’ll make sure that happens!”

“Just knock Norman out and tie him up first!” Olivia said. “Then you can have fun with Jasper!”

I backed up trying to get away from them but two of the guys from Jay’s group had gotten behind me and held my arms behind me back.

“Olivia!” Jasper said. “Leave him alone!”

“And why would I do that?” Olivia said.

As the two guys were holding my arms behind my back Jay came up and put his hands around my neck. The last thing I saw before I blacked out was Olivia smiling at me. She came over and whispered into my ear.

“And I thought generals didn’t need a team!” Olivia whispered. “Oh well, it sucks to be you!”

* * *

When I finally came to, I was tied to a chair and my sword was sitting on a table next to me.

“Where am I?” I croaked. I heard Olivia laughing and I looked around trying to figure out where I was. Good thing I was trained on how to get out of a chair that I was tied up in. But the fact that Olivia was standing in front of me stopped me before I could even try to get out.

“You’re so cute because you’re confused,” said Olivia, “I’m glad my sexy general is finally awake. I’m going to say this again just to be spiteful, I thought generals didn’t need a team!”

“And did you even hear the other part that I said? Unless it’s a difficult assignment! Why do you think they sent Jasper to help?“ I said.

“And one more thing,” said Olivia, “you really should start figuring out where you are and fast! I’ll give you a hint, do you know what’s on the floor?”

I looked down to see the same flower petals that she had thrown at me earlier and gulped. I looked in front of me to see that Olivia was sitting on a bed. I also saw that sitting beside her were my pants.

“Not good!” I panicked. “Not good at all!”

Olivia that evil smile on her face again.

“What’s not good Norman?” Olivia said. “I think this is perfect! Now that Jasper’s finally out of the way, me and you can have some alone time!”

“Last time I checked,” I said, “I said no!”

Olivia chuckled, “That’s too bad really but either way this is going to be fun!”

“Get away from me!” I screamed.

Before I could even try to get out the chair that I was tied up in Olivia was on top of me. Now I was even more determined to get out of the chair and complete my job at all costs. I wasn’t about to get raped by Olivia if I had a thing or two to say about it.

“Humph,” said Olivia, “you look scared and pissed at the same time! Too bad, because you’re not going anywhere!”

Before she could kiss me, I spit in her face. She wiped her face off and snarled at me.

“Now,” said Olivia, “that wasn’t very nice Norman! You’re not going to get another chance to do that!”

“As if, I said no-“ I said. I couldn’t finish my sentence because Olivia kissed me. After she did that I heard footsteps running up to the room. The next thing I knew Olivia had an arrow in her shoulder which stunned her enough to knock her off me. Before Olivia even hit the ground Jasper ran up and broke her neck. I got out of the chair without his help and got to my feet. When I realized that my pants were still off I turned around so Jasper couldn’t see.

“Did she do anything to you?” Jasper said. I could hear the anger in Jasper’s voice.

“She kissed me and that was it.” I said. “It’s a good thing you came along, I suspect you’ll win a medal for that.”

Jasper immediately doubled over in laughter.

“What’s so funny?” I said.

“No I don’t think so,” Jasper said, “I just saved you from getting raped! I didn’t save you from falling off a building to your doom! There’s a difference!”

“Gee,” I said, “thank you? Can you hand my pants over so I can turn around?”

“No problem!” Jasper said as he handed my pants to me and I put them on.

I turned around to see Jasper trying hard not to laugh.

“You know your boyfriend is right about one thing.” Jasper said.

“Right about what?” I said.

“You worry about protecting everyone else,” said Jasper, “but don’t you think it’s time that someone protected you?”

“O..Kay?” I said.

“Well,” said Jasper, “I’ve reached my decision.”

“About what?” I said.

“Seeing that I helped protect you from Olivia,” said Jasper, “I’ll be your protector from now on!”

“Ah…” I had no idea what to say to him next.

“I think it’s time to get Olivia out of here,” said Jasper, “don’t you think?”

“Yup,” I said, “I’m glad I have a sane girlfriend because every other woman is just plain psycho.”

* * *

We got back from the assignment and Jasper dropped Olivia’s body in front of John. I started to walk away trying to avoid seeing John take the body apart.

“I think you might want to stay for this one.” John said.

“Do I have to?” I said.

John nodded, “Let’s see here…”

John cut out the tracking device and put in a small machine that he had.

“Yup,” said John, “the device and the blood sample checks out as her. Now, we’re going to need a brain sample just to be sure.”

“Seriously John?” I said.

“Yup,” said John, “I’m totally serious!”

When I saw John cutting into Olivia’s skull and removing a piece of her brain, I just about threw up where I was standing. Apparently Jasper found it comical because he couldn’t keep a straight face.

“Yup!” John said. “It’s her!”

“Okay then,” I said, “can I go now?”

“Yeah I’m done general.” John said. “The nearest bathroom is down the hall, second door on the left!”

“I’m out of here!” I said as I ran out of John’s office fast but not fast enough before I heard Jasper and John laughing.

* * *

“Hi there!” Sunset said after she knocked on my bedroom door.

“Hi Sunset.” I said.

“I heard about your mission to capture Olivia,” said Sunset, “Jasper told me.”

“I was about to get out of that chair on my own,” I said, “I’ve been trained on how to do that!”

“Yeah right!” Sunset said. “And you were about to get away from the guy that was strangling you. Uh-huh…”

I didn’t say anything to her, I couldn’t overlook the fact that Commander Rainbow Dash sent Jasper with me to help for a reason and I guess that was it. I curled my legs closer to me and put my head in them.

“I think it’s cute that Jasper wants to be your protector,” said Sunset, “Robert and I gave him our blessing!”

I bit the inside of my cheek and really wanted to say some snappy remark to her, but I couldn’t think of what to say.

“So,” said Sunset, “when you gonna tell Jasper you have feelings for him?”

“Excuse me?” I said.

“Oh please,” said Sunset, “I have radar for when two people like each other! And Robert’s told me you two have been playing games of chess on your slow days! I wonder why that is…”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about!” I said.

“Oh you don’t?” Sunset said. “Then why don’t you play chess with someone else in the office? There’s plenty of people that would love to play with you! And to add onto that Robert’s seen the way you look at him sometimes. It’s funny you don’t notice how you behave around him. That’s hilarious to me because you two were enemies when you first met.”

“I still have no idea what you’re talking about! And I’m totally not listening!” I said. “Nope, not listening at all!”

“Oh,” said Sunset, “Robert figured who’s been writing the love letters!”

“Wait a minute!” I said. “Why didn’t he tell me first?”

“He’s been busy lately,” said Sunset, “so he asked me to tell you. I think you’ll be interested to find out who it is!”

“I thought I said I don’t want to know!” I said.

Sunset snorted, “Now that we know who the love letters are coming from it just might stop but only if you talk to him!”

“Wait,” I said, “it’s not who I think it is?”

“Why do you think Jasper wants to be your protector?” Sunset said.

“Oh hell no!” I said.

Sunset couldn’t help laugh, “Yup, it’s your one and only Jasper!”

I bit my tongue as Sunset walked away laughing and hard. I wanted to run after her and deck her in the face. But I held myself back from doing so. I tried to rack my brain to figure out if Robert and Sunset were right. I took a couple of deep breaths to calm myself down because I realized that it just might be true.