• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 411 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 411

16) Confessions

After the mission happened with capturing Olivia I couldn’t seem to get my mind off it, even when I played the drums to help. The memory just kept playing in my mind over and over again. I kept thinking that I wished Olivia had just told me her story. In seeing that she had every opportunity to tell us I didn’t really blame myself for her death, that was her fault. But the memory kept coming back all the same. I guess the thing that haunted me in the memory was that evil smile that she had on her face when we first came to find her. So instead of playing the drums I figured the one thing I could try to help get my mind off what happened was to train on the simulator. This time, I didn’t care if I hit the goal of five hundred or not, I just wanted to turn someone into a punching bag. With training on the simulator I could do that no problem. Of course it wasn’t too long into my training that I wasn’t alone. I knew that Jasper and Robert were watching what they were talking about me this time, like all the other times before I really didn’t want to know.

“Wow,” said Robert, “he’s been training on the simulator a lot lately ever since he got back from the last mission. Since you were with him do you know what his problem is Jasper?”

“I kind of do,” said Jasper, “every time I even say the name Olivia he sits there like he’s paralyzed in fear for a few seconds and then he snaps out of it. I suspect it’s because Olivia almost raped him.”

“Oh…” Robert said. “I’d probably be traumatized too if something like that happened to me! I try to get to him to talk about it. But no success on that one. Maybe I’ll try your approach?”

Jasper choked, “Yeah I’m not so sure you want to do that.”

Robert nodded, “Yeah you’re right but there’s got to be another way to get him to talk.”

“I stopped saying Olivia by the way,” said Jasper, “when I said I was going to protect him and I meant it.”

Robert and Jasper had a moment of silence between them. After some time, Robert grinned, “Speaking of protecting him, when are you going to tell him that you’ve been writing the love letters?”

Jasper didn’t say anything he just looked away and Robert went into fits of laughter.

“Um… I don’t think anything about that’s funny Robert!” Jasper said. After saying this his face turned red.

“Judging by your reaction,” said Robert, “that confirms it! I do believe he has feelings for you too!”

“And you think that because?” Jasper said.

“Do you ever notice the way he acts around you sometimes?” Robert said.

“Ah…” Jasper had no idea how to respond to him. “I’d rather not talk about that right now! Oh look at that! Norman got up to three hundred now!”

“Fine,” said Robert, “don’t talk to me about it. But you two are going to have to talk sooner or later.”

Jasper shook his head, “Not going to happen any time soon. I’ll just stick to dropping him hints!”

Robert snorted, “You really that’s going to work? He’s not very good at noticing the obvious! I know, he didn’t pick up on my hints until I told him. Come to think it wasn’t really telling him it was more like me and Sunset ambushed him!”

“So you think I should do that too?” Jasper said.

“That’s up to you,” said Robert, “you can back him into a corner for all I care! Sunset and I give you our blessings!”

“Uh… Thank You?” Jasper said.

* * *

I had hit my limit at three hundred five enemies and couldn’t summon any more of my death walker abilities. I turned the simulator off. Just like last time I found a nearby chair to sit down and catch my breath. When I saw Jasper and Robert, I almost smiled at Jasper but looked away instead. It felt comforting to see Jasper.

“Hi guys…” I mumbled.

Annoyingly, Robert struggled to keep a straight face.

“You just can’t help yourself can you?” Robert said.

“Huh?” I said.

Robert rolled his eyes, “Every time you have a goal to reach you just want to reach it at all costs! Duh! What else would I be talking about? Unless…”

“Okay then,” I said, “I’m done training for now so yeah, I’m out of here.”

I couldn’t walk away fast enough because Robert took the opportunity to pinch my butt as soon as I stood up. I almost decked him for it.

“What was that for?” I said.

“Oh nothing…” Robert said as he stood looking up at the ceiling and whistling at the same time.

“Yeah,” said Jasper, “I also have some things to take care of. So I’ll see you around the office Norman.”

Jasper ran away from us as fast as he could while Robert couldn’t stop laughing.

“Honestly Robert!” I said. “What’s gotten into you? Have you gone stupid on me or something?”

“Did you notice he didn’t say goodbye to me too?” Robert said. “You really don’t know how to pick on hints do you?”

“What are you talking about?” I said. “ Are you a matchmaker or something?”

“I’m not playing matchmaker Norman,” said Robert, “and you know it! You’re just in denial! You won’t be sooner or later! That is if Sunset and I have a thing or two to say about it!”

“You wouldn’t dare!” I said.

“Maybe, maybe not!” Robert said. “I just wanted you to brace yourself that’s all.”

I bit my tongue and walked away from Robert so I wouldn’t do anything that I would regret.

* * *

When I got home I saw Cozy Glow and Sunset sitting on the couch watching home video about Betty when she was younger.

“Aww,” said mom, “what a beautiful new dress!”

It was pretty obvious that Betty was trying so hard not to roll her eyes.

“Now, spin around for me,” said mom, “I want to capture that beautiful dress on camera!”

As I was watching this I realized that mom only complimented the dress and not Betty.

“Hey mom,” said Betty, “you wanna see what I can do with my wings? You haven’t watched me fly yet! Please can I show you? My mentor says I’m doing really good considering I’m half human! She even said I’m the best flyer in the whole class! Please?”

“No,” said mom, “and I don’t want you asking that question again! Got it?”

“But-“ Betty said.

“No Betty!” Mom said. “Go outside and play! I’m making your favorite dinner tonight because you just look beautiful in that dress! And don’t get your new dress dirty either!”

My eyes had tears in them as I remembered what happened after that. Mom had caught Betty practicing her flying outdoors. Betty knew that mom was embarrassed by her flying. She didn’t fly higher than a foot in air so the neighbors wouldn’t see. I remember watching her in awe and wishing that I could fly with her. When mom had seen Betty flying she was seething with rage and yanked Betty by the tail dragging her back inside the house and tied her wings behind her back and kept her out of school for a week just because of flying. When that happened I didn’t understand why Betty had gotten into so much trouble for that when she was doing what came naturally to her. How did mom expect someone with wings not be allowed to fly? Not to mention mom should’ve been proud that her daughter was the best flyer in the whole class! I had no idea why mom was so angry back then I still don’t have any idea to this day.

As I stood there watching the video Cozy Glow finally noticed that I was standing behind her.

“Hi dad,” said Cozy Glow, “are you okay? We were just watching a video about Betty! She was so adorable when she was younger! Just like you were!”

“Thanks Amethyst,” I said, “yeah she was cute wasn’t she?”

Cozy Glow took the video out of the player and put another video and I started to walk away when Sunset grabbed my arm.

“Um Amethyst,” said Sunset, “I know you want to watch another video but I need to talk to your father alone for a moment. We can watch videos later. Maybe you can go outside and practice your death walker training?”

“Yes ma’am!” Cozy Glow said.

As soon as Cozy Glow left I really wanted to cry after seeing that video.

“What’s wrong Norman?” Sunset said. “Betty was just showing off her new dress?”

“No,” I said trying to keep myself calm, “Betty wasn’t showing off her new dress! Mom just wanted to record that and only that! She should have recorded her flying instead! But no mom just had to be psychopath!”

“What happened after the fact?” Sunset said.

“Mom yanked her by the tail when she was just practicing her flying!” I said. “Then she tied Betty’s wings behind her back for a whole week! I’m glad Betty killed her! I just wish I could’ve been there to help her do it!”

After I said that I took a couple of deep breaths to try and calm myself down, it worked but only for the moment.

“I’m going upstairs…” I said. Before Sunset could say another word I went up to my room, locked the bedroom door and stayed there for the rest of the day.

* * *

The next day I went downstairs to see Jasper sitting on the couch next to Robert.

“Uh,” I said, “Robert? What is Jasper doing here?”

“Oh hey Norman! I was wondering when you were going to wake up!” said Robert, “I was getting to come and wake you up anyway! Second Luke gave me your videos of your progress reports. I just decided to invite Jasper so we could watch it together!”

“Uh-huh and did you just say we?” I said. I narrowed eyes at Robert because it looked like he was up to something.

“Yes we,” said Robert, “now sit down and watch or I’ll make you!”

“And how are you going to do that?” I said.

“I’ll tie you up and sit on you!” Robert said.

As soon as Robert said that I stood there frozen in horror. It brought back the memory of what happened with Olivia.

“Oh boy!” Jasper said. “I know what that look is about! Did you forget what I told you Robert?”

“Oh…” Robert said. “Sorry Norman but if any case you might want to sit down and watch this should be entertaining!”

I sat down and Robert played the video. I watched my first fight after I became general. In the fight they paired me up with another general and lieutenant.

The fight started when the general tried to land a punch to my face. I caught his fist no problem but that’s when the lieutenant came at me from behind. I released the generals fist just time to dodge the lieutenant by jumping over his head. That fight was not a win for me in the slightest because the fight ended when the general was finally able to trip me and the lieutenant landed a punch to the face knocking me out in the process. When Jasper and Robert saw how the fight ended they winced as if showing sympathy for me.

“Yeah,” I said looking away, “that wasn’t one of my best moments. Not to mention that was right after being made general.”

“That’s okay,” said Jasper, “even the star students are going to lose a fight eventually. You win some, you lose some, at least that's what my father always told me.”

We continued the videos of other fights that I had done. Some of the fights I had won and some I lost. When we finally finished watching, Robert nudged Jasper’s shoulder.

“What?” Jasper said practically glaring at Robert.

“Isn’t there something you want to back Norman into a corner for?” Robert said.

I knew it! I thought. He is up to something!

“I have no idea,” said Jasper, “what you’re talking about!”

“Oh really?” Robert said.

I was about to go wring Robert’s neck when he got behind me and pushed me towards Jasper and somehow we wound up kissing. I wanted to hold him, instead I pushed him away.

“Robert!” I snapped. “What did you do that for?”

“You two really need to sit down and have a long talk with each other!” Robert said. “Or kiss it doesn’t matter which one!”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about!” Jasper and I said.

Robert pointed to a corner behind the Tv, “Oh really uh-huh, by the way Jasper there’s a corner you can back Norman into. I think you two should have some fun in it don’t you think?”

“Excuse me?” Jasper said. “Yeah, I’m out of here! See you later!”

“I’m going to kill you Robert!” I said as soon as Jasper ran out the room.

“Did Sunset tell you who the love letters are coming from?” Robert said.

“Yeah she did,” I said, “and I’m going to pretend that Sunset didn’t tell me!”

“Aww,” said Robert, “you two are in denial! That won’t be for very long Norman!”

“Why you little jerk!” I said. Before I could grab Robert by the shirt and strangle him, Sunset came into the room with a grin on her face.

“What’s going on Robert?” Sunset said. “Did you just play a prank on Norman or something?”

“More like or something!” Robert laughed. Then he stuck his tongue. I couldn’t react fast enough because Robert ran out of the room before I could do anything and Sunset ran out along with him.

* * *

On a slow day at work so Jasper and I were playing a game of chess. I had stopped playing and started to stare off into space for some reason. I had no idea why Jasper stopped playing. I guess probably because he didn’t want to play chess alone.

“Hello!” Chole said as she waved her hand in front of Jasper’s face. Jasper didn’t respond to her and neither did I. “Seriously you two what’s with the day dreaming lately? You two usually don’t have any problem playing chess! Are you listening to me Jasper?”

“Huh?” Jasper said. “What were you saying? I didn’t hear it, can you repeat that?”

“I was asking what’s with day dreaming?” Chole said.

Jasper raised a eyebrow, “What day dreaming, we were just playing a game of-“

Jasper looked down at the game puzzled at why we stopped playing.

“Looks like Norman’s day dreaming the most!” Chole said. “Is he in la-la land or something?”

Truth is I didn’t know if I was daydreaming or not was just staring off into nowhere. Jasper then tugged on my ear and I snapped out of it.

“Are you okay Norman?” Jasper said.

I nodded, “Yeah I’m fine…”

When Chole saw that Jasper had tugged on my ear to snap me out of whatever I was doing she looked pissed. I just about laughed because of it but Jasper beat me to it. As Jasper was laughing Chole looked like she was about ready to punch him. I stood up and stretched.

“Well this has been fun,” I said, “but we have an hour before we’re supposed to clock out I should clock out. I should go take care of some paperwork! Later Jasper!”

When I started to walk away, what Chloe next said made me laugh, “Jasper? You have a checkmate! You’re so much smarter than Norman! I’m surprised you didn’t make general!”

* * *

I was standing outside the kitchen when I heard Robert and Sunset talking about me and Jasper. Loud enough to make me wonder if they wanted me to hear them.

“I have no idea what we’re going to do with those two!” Robert said.

“Yeah,” said Sunset, “they’re really in denial! I don’t know which one’s in denial the most Jasper or Norman! Either way it’s getting on my nerves!”

“You’re telling me!” Robert said. “I think we should take care of this today! Actually I have a plan… I just thought I’d run this by you first.”

“What do you have in mind?” Sunset said.

“I told Jasper to come over to help me with something!” Robert laughed.

I could hear Sunset’s wicked laughter. “That’s perfect! Good idea Robert! And he’ll be helping with something alright!”

I heard a knock on the door right after I heard what Sunset just said.

Great! I thought. Now Jasper’s here! What are they planning? Somehow I don’t think I want to know.

Before I could run away Robert got to the door.

“Hey Robert,” said Jasper, “you said you wanted help with something?”

“Yup,” Robert said, “I need your help on something alright!”

Robert smirked and I just stood there not sure of what to do next. Jasper stopped and he took on a look of horror.

“The thing I need help with is upstairs!” Robert said, grabbing Jasper’s arm.

“Hell no!” I said. I turned around to run but Sunset grabbed me by the arm. “Let me go Sunset!”

“Nope,” said Sunset, “you may not have a busted shoulder any more but I’m still stronger than you! And I’ll use my death walker abilities if need be for this!”

“You wouldn’t dare!” I said.

“Try me!” Sunset said.

I bit my tongue because I knew she was being serious.

“Come on!” Robert said, dragging Jasper by his arm and he was digging in his heels.

“This is not cool you two!” I said. “Let me go!”

“I totally agree with Norman!” Jasper said. “Let me go too!”

As soon as we got to my bedroom Robert and Sunset made us sit on the bed.

“You two need to talk about this now!” Sunset said. “You’re both in denial and we’d prefer it if you two knock it off!”

“Knock what off Sunset?” I said. “And this is not cool at all!”

“I’m especially annoyed with you Jasper!” Robert said.

“What did I do?” Jasper said.

“Just admit you have feelings for my boyfriend already!” Robert said. “Hey I told you that you can back him up into a corner for all I care! And you can sleep with the guy too!”

“Excuse me?” I said.

“Same thing goes for me!” Sunset said. “You two have our blessings! Have fun you two!”

“Why you little-“ Jasper and I said.

We didn’t get a chance to say anything else because Sunset and Robert ran out of the room and locked the door so quick we didn’t have time to blink. As soon as they left Jasper took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

“What’s wrong Jasper?” I said.

I could tell Jasper really didn’t want to say what he was going to say next.

“They’re right…” Jasper said.

“Oh boy…” I said. There was an awkward silence between us when Jasper spoke first.

“Have you noticed that we've been acting goofy around each other lately?” Jasper said.

“Ah…” I said. I knew it was true but I didn’t want to admit it.

“I’m the one that’s been writing the letters…” Jasper mumbled.

“What was that?” I said.

“I wrote the love letters!” Jasper shouted and covered his mouth in surprise. “Did you count how many love letters that were sent to you?”

I paused and nodded, “Seven… If you’re the one that wrote them can you tell me a line that’s in them?”

Jasper nodded and I sat frozen as he whispered into my ear a line from one of the letters. My eyes went wide and I could feel my face turn red.

“Okay.” I squeaked. “Now what?”

The next thing I knew I was sitting on Jasper’s lap. I had no idea how that happened. Thing was I didn’t mind it at all, unlike what happened with Olivia. I felt the warmth of Jasper's arms and didn’t want to leave.

“Hum…” Jasper said. “I never thought I’d get a chance to hold you. I’m not going to make you do anything you don’t want to do. I said I was going to protect you and that’s what I intend to do. Even if it means protecting you from myself.”

I paused and looked him in the eye. I knew that I needed to respond to that but I couldn’t think of anything to say. The next thing I knew Jasper and I kissed. For real this time and not because Robert had pushed me into him. At that moment all I wanted to do was be with Jasper. That was when we both admitted our feelings for each other.

* * *

For some reason Second Luke decided to tell a handful of us including me to meet him at that training area for high ranking officers and it was on an off duty training day. Everyone that Second Luke told to meet him here stood in the training area looking very confused. The reason why we were confused is that normally on off duty training all of us usually train alone and on our own terms. After we met Second Luke and he greeted us, he left and went to the observation room.

“I’ve called you here to evaluate your fighting skills!” Luke said as he got on the intercom for the training area. “No this isn’t a fight to the death! You guys know for a fact that it never is on your off duty training days!”

“He’s got to be kidding!” another general said that was in the group.

“I don’t think he’s joking!” I said. “I know that look Second Luke has on his face and he’s not kidding!”

“Great!” the same general said.

“Now,” said Luke, “begin!”

When the fight started all the other generals looked straight at me with menacing grins and cracked their knuckles. They advanced quickly and I dodged three of them no problem. They decided to play monkey in the middle. Instead of tossing a ball around they push a soldier around. Guess who was the monkey? That’s right, it was yours truly. Finally when none of us could move anymore Luke decided that the fight was over.

“Honestly you guys!” Luke snapped. “I know you’re jealous of Norman but check your egos at the door! You guys might not have to fight in a team, but if a war takes place, you’ll be fighting side by side! And if a general has more talent, then you guys should be pushing yourselves to be equal or better! Now don’t play monkey in the middle again! I know that’s happening when I see it! You’re dismissed!”

When I walked out of the training area, guess who was there to greet me, it was Liz.

“Hey Norman,” said Liz, “you’re getting stronger and stronger by the day! My general is just as strong as you are! And I don’t he would’ve played monkey in the middle with you. He actually admires you!”

“Gee,” I said rolling my eyes, “thanks? And why aren’t you chasing after your general instead?”

“Because,” said Liz, “he’s married and he’s not forming a herd like you are!”

“For the last time Liz,” I said, “it’s not a herd and I said no!”

“I noticed Jasper isn’t here to watch you train today,” said Liz, “I like it that way! I’ve been recording you too!”

“I think you would be considered a stalker!” I said. “You’re just as bad as Chole with Jasper!”

“I’m not a stalker!” Liz said. “I just need more inspiration to write another song, that's it. I wonder why Jasper likes to see you train so much? It’s not like he’s boyfriend or anything!”

“Why do you care?” I said.

“Well at least he’s not here to watch you!” Liz said. “If Jasper is around, I’ll just push him out the door!”

“Ha!” I said. “Like you’d have enough strength to do that!”

“Oh really?” Liz said. “Do you forget I’m a second in command like he is? I should probably keep that in mind for the next time I watch you.”

“Yeah,” I said, “and I’m going to find a way to keep you from getting into the observation room.”

* * *

Every so often Discord likes to pop up in my bedroom to give me what I call a rude awakening. Today was one of those days.

“Looks like Normie's got another notch under his belt!” Discord said.

I woke up to see Discord floating above my bed.

“Discord!” I said. “Get out of my room or I’ll behead you with my sword!”

“You can’t do that Normie,” said Discord, “my head would just pop right back up!”

I grit my teeth, “Discord, I’m serious! Get out!”

“Gee,” said Discord, “someone woke up on the wrong side on the bed this morning!”

“That’s because I have you for an alarm clock!” I said.

“Let me see,” said Discord, “that’s how many people and ponies you’ve gotten into your bed?”

“Ponies?” I said.

“Well duh!” Discord said. “Sunset Shimmer is actually a unicorn!”

I thought about it and remembered what Betty had told me.

“You’re right she was originally a unicorn before she stepped through the portal.” I said.

“Bingo!” Discord said. “I wonder, who are you going to sleep with next? Maybe we should play a game? I think we should call it, ‘The Bed is Right?’”

“Hell no,” I snarled at him, “for the last time, get out!”

“What? I was just kidding!” Discord said. “I just wanted to tell you that Jasper, Sunset and Robert are downstairs waiting for you! You should go greet them soon. You did just wake up after all and I think you would like to eat some breakfast with them.”

“Discord!” I said. “Get. Out!”

“Fine, fine,” said Discord, “I’m going, it’s too bad I can’t play the game with you!”

Before Discord left I picked up one of my shoes and threw it at him. Discord laughed as he snapped his claw and disappeared.