• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 410 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 410

12) New Job Title

No sooner I had put my face on the desk, I heard a knock at the door. It was John.

“Come in!” I shouted.

“I do believe,” said John, “that the correct term is ‘you may enter.’”

“Fine,” I said, “you may enter!”

John stepped into my office and I could tell he was trying so hard not to laugh.

“You’re just having way too much fun with this,” I growled, “aren’t you?”

“It’s not the job that I’m laughing about,” assured John, “it’s the way you’re reacting to it.”

I rolled my eyes, “You sound like what Fluttershy told me about the love letters! I got another one yesterday! That’s the second one in two weeks! Like I said before, I don’t wanna know who it is! I’m afraid to find out!”

“So,” said John, “what are you going to do about Jasper and Olivia?”

“I have an idea,” I said, “they’re supposed to report to me soon.”

“Okay then, what are you going to do about taking the dead bodies apart?” John asked.

I just about threw up in my mouth when he said that.

“I think I‘ll let you handle that still,” I said. I was not sure of what to say next.

“I do believe,” said John, “the correct terms are ‘you can go now’ or ‘you’re dismissed!’”

I was totally not going to say ‘you’re dismissed’ to my former superior. I just might later out of spite.

I sighed, “You can go now.”

No sooner had John left, Olivia and Jasper knocked on the door. I really did not want to say what I was supposed to say to them. But it was standard protocol, so I had to say it.

“You may enter!” I shouted.

“Sir, yes sir!” Olivia and Jasper said.

“I said, don’t call me that, Olivia!” I snapped.

“Me?” Olivia exclaimed. “What about Jasper? He said it too!”

“Shut up Olivia!” I said.

Jasper then stifled a laugh.

“What’s so funny Jasper?” Olivia growled.

“I’m sorry,” laughed Jasper, “he’s always reprimanding me, I’d never thought I’d see the day when he’d reprimanded you!”

“That’s enough you two!” I snapped. “As John would always say, stand at attention or I’ll make you stand at attention, got it?”

“Yes sir!” Jasper and Olivia said.

“I’m so not going to get used to that!” I said.

I took a deep breath and kept my composure as much as possible.

“As you know,” I said, “I can either assign you to another team or to other jobs in my divisions. I have decided to give you two different job titles. Olivia, you will be reporting to the supervising sergeant. You will be training the new cadets that are under his charge. I do believe his name is Silas. You’ll find him in the next office down the hall.”

“Yes sir!” Olivia said.

“I’m so not going to get used to that one,” I said, “Jasper, you’ll be working with me as my second in command. You’ll basically be my assistant, you’ll be taking phone calls and doing paperwork when you’re not on assignments. I’ll probably be doing more assignments myself, which means you’ll be looking after the office when I’m gone. Got it?”

“Yes sir!” Jasper said.

When Olivia heard Jasper’s new job title her jaw dropped.

“You’re giving Jasper a higher title than me?” Olivia exclaimed. “Are you serious, general?”

“Yes I’m serious,” I said, “if you don’t like the job title you've been given, you can quit for all I care! You two have your new job titles as of now, you start your new jobs! Report to your posts immediately! You’re dismissed!”

Olivia looked really pissed off when she left the office. Jasper on the other hand was completely stunned at what just happened. When they left, I groaned and put my face on the table. I also knew that I had to head out to the Crystal Empire to get my seventh medal added to my uniform. So I was going to take the next train out tomorrow morning.

I’d rather be back in the Land of the Dead, or doing death walker training than this! I thought. As a matter of fact, I’d rather have a fire and earth attack come out right now!

I looked over to see that there was a picture of Robert, Sunset and me.

“Huh,” I thought, “where did they get this? Probably Robert or Sunset by my guess.”

Before I could think of anything else, Jasper came in with a huge stack of papers. Then the lesser Higher ups and that included John, come to get their assignments for the troops under their charge.

* * *

“Roger, roger, General Norman Jewel,” it was Rainbow Dash’s second in command Luke, “please report to the main desk, we have an assignment for you! Over!”

“Roger that 2nd Luke,” I said, “I’m coming over!”

“Roger that,” said Luke, “over and out!”

Well, I thought, at least they have a radio for when they need me!

I walked out of the office and up to Jasper’s desk.

“Jasper,” I said, “I have another assignment to do. It should take a day or two to complete unless it’s another huge assignment. Look after the office for me while I’m out. Got it?”

“Yes sir,” said Jasper, “um, sir, can I ask you something?”

“Yes,” I said, “what is it?”

“I hope I’m not speaking out of term,” said Jasper, “but that’s the sixth assignment back to back since you’ve been promoted general! Are you getting enough sleep sir?”

“I’m fine Jasper,” I said, “thanks for asking.”

“And sir,” said Jasper, “I have to tell you about the report filed against Olivia. That’s the second one this week! I’ll give you the paperwork when you get back.”

“Thanks Jasper,” I said, “I’ll take care of it when I get back, you’re dismissed!”

I’ve had the job of general for a week now and I still wasn’t getting used to being called ‘sir’. Especially if it came from my former teammate. I went to Luke’s office and knocked on the door.

“You may enter!” Luke said.

“Sir,” I asked. “You had an assignment for me?”

“Ah yes,” said Luke, “this assignment is an assassination assignment. You’ve done well with your live capture assignments on problems. Which is exactly what I would expect from you!”

“Let me brief you on the pony you’re going after. She's a pegasus named Sandy Breeze. She’s a spy so she’s automatically a threat to the throne. Here’s her picture, get a good look at it.”

I looked at the picture and gasped at it. Sandy Breeze looked alot like Shadow Mist.

“I know what you’re thinking,” said Luke, “that she’s a relative of Shadow Mist’s and you couldn’t be more right. She’s also knight of the royal court for the Kingdom of Mave. So take her down by any means necessary. She’s also a pegasus, so you can rip her wings off if need be! She’s to be brought back dead period! Now go get changed and move out! You’re dismissed!”

“Yes sir…” I shuddered.

I winched at what Luke said about ripping her wings off. I don’t know how I would feel if someone did that to Cozy Glow. I have an idea of how I’m going to take down Sandy Breeze. I just hoped that I didn’t have to rip off her wings but I had a feeling that I might have to.

Well, I thought, at least I use my death walker abilities in this fight. I don’t know about ripping the wings off though.

I made it to the place where Sandy Breeze was last spotted. When I got there Sandy Breeze was there to greet me as if she were the welcoming party.

“So the Equestrian Government has finally found me out!” Sandy Breeze smirked. “Your ruler is a real idiot! I’ve been working for Equestria and the Kingdom of Mave for five years now right under your noses!”

“I will not have you insult the princess!” I said.

“Oh,” said Sandy Breeze, “look who they sent to capture me! It’s the star General Norman Jewel! You beat my prince Shadow Mist in a duel! I can’t believe that you could do that! I’ll have your head for that one!”

“Yeah, but I’m not going to go down easy you idiot!” I growled. “I’m a death walker remember? And I’ll rip off your wings if I have to!”

“Awe,” said Sandy Breeze, “you don’t have a good poker face! You should never gamble with your friends on poker night!”

“I don’t play poker!” I shouted. “I have no interest in that game whatsoever!”

“Anyway,” said Sandy Breeze, “you want to know what my special talent is? I can make tornadoes appear out of thin air! And I also have these special daggers too!”

Sandy Breeze then spread her wings and saw that there was a dagger hanging from each of her feathers. I had no idea that was possible. I couldn’t react as quickly as I did when saving Jasper. Sandy Breeze started flying around really fast forming a tornado. I jumped out of the way dodging daggers with backflips and cartwheels. Sandy Breeze then stopped flying and throwing daggers.

“Not bad, death walker,” said Sandy Breeze like she was impressed, “and you aren’t even using your magic. You know, once I immobilize you, I might just have my way with you. You are pretty handsome after all.”

“No thank you,” I said, “I’m already spoken for!”

“Oh,” taunted Sandy Breeze, “you mean that herd you’re forming? Can I join?”

“Nope,” I replied, “you’re not my type! I don’t date horses!”

“I’m a pony you idiot!” Sandy Breeze scolded. “And that wasn’t very nice!”

I really want this assignment to be over already! I thought.

Before I could make another move, I found myself pinned to a wall and I couldn’t move.

“You know,” said Sandy Breeze, “I also have these special daggers that pinpoint your nervous system disabling your movements! Now, I was going to have my way with you, but since you weren’t very nice, I’ll have your heart instead!”

No! I thought. I’m not going to die here! Not if I got a thing or two to say about it!

Sandy Breeze then took one of her daggers and started to drive it through my chest. I tried to swallow the blood that was coming up into my mouth. She kept pushing the dagger into my chest but right before it got to my heart it stopped. Sandy Breeze then felt that the dagger couldn’t go any further and she was pissed!

Alright, I thought, that’s it! I’m going to rip her wings off!

I broke free of the daggers ripping my shirt and causing deep cuts on my arms. I kicked Sandy Breeze away from me and pulled the dagger that was in my chest out. I then coughed up the blood that was in my mouth.

“You’re dead Sandy Breeze!” I sneered. “I’m totally going to rip your wings off for that one!”

“Awe,” said Sandy Breeze, “you wouldn’t hit a lady now would you?”

“You’re no lady at all if you ask me!” I said.

Sandy Breeze then threw a couple more daggers at me and I dodged them no problem. I then got behind her and sliced one of her wings off with my sword. The wing fell to the ground like it was a brick. I then got in front of her and sliced the other wing off. I could see at this point that Sandy Breeze was going to die a slow and painful death, but I wasn’t going to let that happen. I just wanted the assignment to be over with as soon as possible.

“Just like I said to your prince,” I smirked, “I do if you’re a threat to the princess I won’t hesitate to deal with you!”

I then beheaded her and that was the end of the assignment.

* * *

“What happened to you General?” Luke said. “You look like you’ve been run over by a lawn mower! I’m ordering you to go to the Hospital and get yourself checked out. They’ll probably want to do a CT scan. That’s to make sure there is no internal bleeding. Good job on your assignment by the way! You’re dismissed!”

“Yes sir!” I said.

“What happened to you sir?” Jasper said.

“I’m fine Jasper,” I said, “I just have to go to the hospital and get checked out. I’ll probably get a couple of stitches at best.”

“You look like you went through a haunted house!” Jasper gasped. “And got beaten up by it!”

I didn’t say another word except ‘you're dismissed’ and walked away.

* * *

“Well,” the doctor said, “it looks like you have a magical barrier that protects your heart and other organs and that includes your nervous system. I must say I’m not surprised though, because I see that with every death walker I’ve tested! It’s always the same thing!”

“Okay?” I said.

“You got a couple of stitches at best,” the doctor said, “that’s to be expected for a death walker! Now, you’ll need to take some antibiotics so you don’t get an infection while your wounds heal. Other than that, you’re free to go!”

“Thank you doctor…” I said.

“It’s no problem at all!” The doctor said.

* * *

When I got home Cozy Glow greeted me at the door.

“Wow dad,” said Cozy Glow, “you look terrible!’

“Don’t ask Zecora for help Amethyst!” I said. “I already went to the hospital and I’m fine!”

“Okay, okay,” said Cozy Glow, “I won’t ask Zecora! I promise I won’t!”

I breathed a sigh of relief and crashed on the couch.

“At least I don’t have to pull a 24 hour shift!” I said.

“You’ve really had it bad lately,” said Fluttershy with a concerned voice, “you should take some time off and rest.”

I groaned, “I have four days off already and tomorrow I have an off duty day and then I can rest okay?”

“Sure,” said Fluttershy, “okay then…”

I could tell that this information did not make Fluttershy feel any better.

* * *

The next day, I had off duty training day. Little did I know Luke let Jasper and Olivia in to watch me train.

“Is it okay for us to be here?” Jasper said.

“Sure,” said Luke, “you’re his Second in Command Jasper and Olivia, you’re a Sargent, so I don’t mind!”

When Jasper saw me fighting he whistled at it.

“Did you just whistle at Norman?” Olivia said with a look of surprise on her face.

“Maybe,” said Jasper rolling his eyes, “maybe not, I have no idea what you’re talking about!”

“Wow,” said Olivia, “how many people is he taking on this time?”

“Six,” said Luke, “two are our strongest General’s.”

“He can break out of a chokehold that easy?” Jasper gasped. “Maybe he was going easy on me like I thought.”

“That’s Norman for you,” smiled Luke, “he will do anything he needs to do at all costs. That’s what makes him a good General. Although he did get beaten up on the last assignment.”

“Did he say what happened?” Jasper said.

“Nope,” said Luke, “he didn’t say. He won’t either no matter how much we ask he just keeps saying he’s fine. Maybe we should interrogate him? Although I doubt he’ll talk even with that.”

Jasper sighed, “That’s Norman for you! He won’t even talk to us about it! It’s got to be weighing on his mind! And that’s way too much stress to carry! Sooner or later, he’s going to crack and who knows what he’ll do!”

“Why are you so concerned?” Olivia asked. “It’s not your friends or something!”

“Actually I am his friend now!” Jasper scoffed. “We play basketball on our off days and sometimes on our slow days we play a game of chess.”

Olivia’s jaw dropped, “When did that happen?”

“Ever since I got assigned to be his Second in Command!” Jasper taunted.

“I still can’t believe you have a higher job title!” Olivia growled.

“Jealous much?” Jasper said.

“Oh boy,” said Luke, “you two fight like an old married couple! Norman sure has his hands full with you two! I really feel bad for the guy. Watching you two is like watching a toddler throw a temper tantrum! And trust me, I have two at home!”

Olivia out of anger punched Jasper and he fell to the ground.

“What was that for?” Jasper said.

“Okay,” said Luke, “that’s an assault on a higher ranking Officer! Come with me and I’ll be reporting this to your General for when he gets back from his time off! This could get you sacked for all I care! Follow me!”