• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 411 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 411

10) My Sixth Medal

“You wanted to see me sir?” I said.

“Yes,” began John, “I wanted to commend you on a job well done on capturing William. I also hear that Jasper did some of the fighting this time?”

“Yeah,” I said, “that was a total surprise to me.”

“Huh,” mused John, “let’s hope he keeps that up. Although I doubt he will, but yeah. Have you found out who your secret admirer is yet?”

“Nope,” I said, “and I don’t think I want to know. I just got a love letter the other day with a rose attached to it.”

John doubled over in laughter. After a little bit he stopped and regained his composure.

“Well,” joked John, “you sure didn’t chase off the ladies by dating Robert and Sunset at the same time. Not bad rookie, not bad at all.”

“I have a feeling,” I said, “that’s not what you wanted to talk to me about?”

“Yeah right,” said John, ”the first thing is that Princess Twilight is giving you another medal at the ceremony tomorrow.”

“What?” I said. “What for?”

“For saving a comrade in battle.” John said.

“I heard that there was going to be a ceremony tomorrow,” I gasped, “but I had no idea that it had something to do with me. How come nobody told me about this?”

“Everyone knows when there’s going to be a ceremony,” explained John, “but the rest of the information is classified. And another thing, I’m going to recommend you for the job of General. Which I’m sure you’ll get no problem at all.”

“You can’t be serious?” I said.

“I’m totally serious,” said John, “the fact of the matter is, you’re too overqualified for this job alone. And you’re too over qualified for Lieutenant.”

“To be honest sir,” I argued, “I was just saving a friend, I don’t think I need to move up the ranks because of that. I couldn’t live with myself if Jasper had died.”

“Truth be told,” insisted John, “you’re a war hero, the best in the business. You protect your troops no matter what the cost. You can also come up with a strategy in the heat of battle. You make it so that everyone can come back alive even if it means sacrificing your own. That to me is a perfect personality for a General.”

Great, I thought, life just keeps getting better and better!

“Can I ask you something?” John said.

“What is it?” I said.

“Why exactly did you enlist in the first place?” John questioned.

“To be able to protect the family,” I confessed, “that I have left.”

“Oh I see,” John said, “well that’s all I have to talk to you about. You’re dismissed!”

“Yes sir…” I said.

After leaving the office, I ran into Olivia and Jasper.

“So, what did John want to see you in his office for?” Olivia asked.

I sighed, “Apparently, I’m getting another medal for saving Jasper at the ceremony tomorrow.”

“What’s so bad about that?” Jasper said. “You did save me after all.”

I shrugged, “I was just acting on instinct that’s all. If I had let you die it wouldn’t have honored Betty’s memory and it wouldn’t have honored George’s memory either.”

“You know something,” said Jasper rolling his eyes, “the sooner you recognize your achievements the better off you’ll be.”

* * *

Little did I know during one of my sparring matches Olivia was talking to Robert about Jasper and me.

“What’s up with Norman and Jasper?” Olivia questioned.

“What about them?” Robert said.

“Those two have been acting really strange around each other ever since we got back from capturing William!” Olivia exclaimed. “They’ve been acting civilized towards each other.”

“What’s so bad about that?” Robert asked. “They might actually be friends for a change.”

“I also noticed,” complained Olivia, “that Jasper’s been making sure not to train when Norman’s there.”

“Maybe he’s giving him some space because of his duel with Shadow Mist coming up?” Robert said. “If any case, I wouldn’t be too concerned if I were you.”

“Yeah sure,” said Olivia, “nothing to worry about. Not creepy at all.”

“Another thing,” said Robert, “I know you have feelings for my boyfriend, are you the one sending him the love letters?”

“Nah,” said Olivia, “I’m not that kind of gal. I usually just ask the guy right out.”

Robert laughed, “Are you going to ask him anytime soon?”

“I’m not so sure about that one just yet.” Olivia said.

“Why not?” Robert said.

“Well,” said Olivia, “it’s because he’s with you and Sunset.”

“If you ask him,” said Robert, “he might let you join us.”

“You mean like forming a herd?” Olivia asked. “Isn’t that against the law?”

“Nope,” said Robert, “I’ve studied the Equestrian law, and it’s perfectly okay. If ponies can form a herd then so can humans.”

“Okay then,” said Olivia, unsure of what to think, “sure…”

“You know something Olivia?” Robert said.

“What?” Olivia said.

Robert smiled, “Norman always says that when he’s getting ready to run.”

* * *

The next day was the ceremony and I was not looking forward to it. This meant that I had to wear that goofy looking throne uniform. When I got to the ceremony, I was ushered to take a seat right on stage. I looked over to see five other Knight’s of the Royal Court sitting beside me. I let out a sigh of relief.

Oh good, I thought, at least it’s not just me this time.

The only reason I think this is because the last five medals that I won, I was the only one sitting on stage.

As the ceremony started the other Knights and I stood straight up giving a proper salute. Then other high ranking soldiers came marching down the aisle in perfect sync. They then split up into their respective ranks.

Next Princess Twilight walked in with her wings spread and her head held high. Just as Shadow Mist said, she looked like a goddess this time. She then made her way to the stage showing her authority as the ruler of Equestria. As soon as the princess was on the stage the crowd clapped and cheered. She then put up a hoof to silence them.

“As you know,” said Princess Twilight, “I am the ruler of Equestria. I have been for the past 30 years. I am very proud of all of my Knights of the Royal Court on this stage. Some of you have won two medals and some of you three. But there is one Knight here that has won five medals! All of them for bravery in the heat of battle. He even got all of his troops back home safely alive and not in a casket. However, all six of you Knights here deserve this medal that is being given to you today. I will now call you by your first name based on the letter of your last name. The first one is Felix.”

The crowd clapped as he stepped forward.

“Henry…” Princess Twilight said.

Once again the crowd clapped.

“Wyatt…” Princess Twilight said.

At this point I was trying to stay calm, but really I wanted to run away as fast as thpossible.

“Arayan…” Princess Twilight said,

My name was getting closer and closer to being called.

“Leo…” Princess Twilight said.

Oh great, I thought, I’m doomed…

“Finn…” Princess Twilight said.

I don't want to move! I thought.

“And most important,” said Princess Twilight, “this is the knight that has five medals for bravery. He’s the most successful of the knights yet! His name is Norman.”

I held my breath as I stepped forward, I was hoping to pass out before I got to Princess Twilight. Wishful thinking because I suddenly found myself standing before the Princess receiving the medal. I then took my place next to the other knights and they looked really excited to be sitting next to me.

Princess Twilight then cleared her throat, “This is the end of the ceremony, I would like each of you knights to get your picture taken so it can get added to the hall of knights. I am very proud of all of you!”

The crowd clapped and cheered again as Princess Twilight in the same fashion she had come in. After the ceremony, the other knights and I proceeded to get our pictures taken. I tried my best not to look annoyed by it if I did, too bad. After that happened, Robert and Sunset came to congratulate me.

“You can breathe Norman!” Robert said.

I didn’t even realize that I was holding my breath. Sunset and Robert both doubled over in laughter.

“That’s funny you two!” I exclaimed.

Sunset couldn’t stop laughing, “You look so embarrassed to have that medal in the first place!”

“Being honored for your achievements is not that bad!” Robert said, rolling his eyes.

“Yeah,” I growled, “Princess Twilight made it a point to say that I won five medals!”

“And that’s bad because?” Robert said.

“You know,” mused John, “your boyfriend is right about that one! So are you guys going to celebrate Norman’s medal today?”

“I think we should.” Sunset said.

“I couldn’t agree more!” Robert said

“And I back up your friends on that one!” John said.

“And have the news cameras follow me around all day,” I said, “no thank you!”

“Sorry Norman,” said Sunset, “majority rules, we’re going to celebrate with you whether you like it or not!”

* * *

As expected, the news cameras followed Sunset, Robert and I around all day. They wouldn’t quit asking me questions either.

“Norman, I hear you’re dating two people at the same time, are you forming a herd?”

“Are you following in your sister Betty’s footsteps as a death walker?”

Robert and Sunset did their best to shield me from the cameras.

“I heard you recently took a bullet to the shoulder, can you tell us about that?”

I also did my best not to look at the cameras, I just kept saying ‘no comment’ to all of the questions. Much to my surprise when I got home, there were news cameras outside my house.

Gee, I thought, stalker much?

“Hi dad,” said Cozy Glow, “I saw the ceremony on TV! Grandpa Discord and Grandma Fluttershy wouldn’t let me go. Probably because all of the cameras follow you around. My dad’s a hero! That’s so cool!”

“Speaking of Fluttershy and Discord,” I questioned, “where are they? I need to talk to them about something.”

“They’re in the kitchen,” responded Cozy Glow, “they closed the blinds to shield from the cameras.”

“Thanks…” I said.

I went into the kitchen and sat down.

“Oh Norman,” said Fluttershy, “glad you’re back, you just look so handsome. I’m so proud of you!”

“I have a question for you,” I said.

“Sure,” said Fluttershy, “what is it?”

“Why didn’t you tell me that I was adopted?” I said.

“What?” Fluttershy exclaimed. “Who told you?”

“Discord decided to drop a bombshell shell on me on Hearts and Hooves day.” I said.

“Well,” said Fluttershy, “Discord and I both agreed we weren’t going to tell you.”

“Why not?” I demanded.

“Well, it’s just that you had a lot going on at the time.” Fluttershy said.

“Okay?” I said.

“Like I said,” said Fluttershy, “you had a lot going on. Betty just died, you just adopted Amethyst and on top of that you just enlisted into the military. I’ll have to have a word with Discord about this. Don’t worry, I’ll handle him. He is my husband after all.”

“Thanks Fluttershy…” I said.

“It’s no problem at all.” Fluttershy said.

* * *

“Okay,” said Robert, “I’m done.”

Robert then rolled off me and I held him in my arms.

“Did you figure out who’s been sending you the love letters yet?” Robert asked.

“Nope,” I said, “not a clue and honestly I don’t want to know.”

“I guess you didn’t break any hearts by dating Sunset and me!” Robert said.

“Can I ask you something,” I said, “when did you realize that you had feelings for me?”

“About a year ago,” said Robert, “I just didn’t know how to tell you. I was trying to drop you some hints by picking on you. That definitely backfired.”

“No kidding…” I said.

“It wasn’t until Sunset approached me about you,” admitted Robert, “that I figured it was the right time to tell you.”

“I don’t know if I would’ve done it that way,” I said, “but I guess that works.”

“So,” said Robert, “when’s your duel with Shadow Mist happening?”

“In a couple of days,” I said, “I wish I could kill the guy, but it’s against the rules. And I don’t like the fact that he used Princess Twilight as a bargaining chip without her say so.”

“I don’t blame you on that one,” Robert agreed. “I’d want to kill the guy too.”

“I also have some last minute training with Jack,” I said.

“About that,” nagged Robert, “that wound on your neck seems to be healing up, but you have a bad one on your hand now! You sure Jack isn’t pushing you too hard?”

“No,” I protested, “Jack is training me the only way Jack knows how to.”

* * *

The next day I trained with Jack and since I mastered the Terror Paralysis spell he was teaching me something new. It was a move on how to block a sword with your hand and snap it in two if need be.

“So you’ve gotten past the Terror Paralysis spell,” said Jack, “let’s see if you can get this move down too. I’m sure it will come in handy with your duel with Shadow Mist tomorrow.”

“Yes sir.” I said.

As the fight began Jack put out his original moves. But this time he added another guy for me to fight. Then the attack came that Jack was teaching me. I blocked Jack's sword with my fist and the other guy's sword I caught with the palm of my hand. To my own surprise, I took both swords and threw them ten feet away. I looked over to see Jack smiling at me with a twinkle in his eye.

I really don’t like that look he’s giving me! I thought.

“Good job rookie!” Jack bragged. “You went to master that move very quickly this time! That was much faster than the last one. I’m actually proud to train you as a student!”

“Okay then,” I shuddered, “is training over for today?”

“Yes,” said Jack, “you’re dismissed!”

After I left training I ran into Robert and Jasper.

“So that’s what he’s been teaching you!” Jasper growled. “No wonder why you come out looking like a punching bag when you’re done training with him! I have half a mind to challenge him to a sparring match!”

I rolled my eyes, “It’s fine Jasper! Besides I doubt you could beat him. He’s stronger than your strongest opponent.”

“You know something Norman?” Robert said.

“What?” I said.

“You worry about protecting everyone,” said Robert, “but don’t you think it’s time someone protected you?”

At that question I paused. I had no answer for him.