• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 411 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 411

17) Anger

When I went downstairs I didn't know if everyone heard me shouting at Discord. I think they did because everyone was smiling at me when I got to the breakfast table.

“Well,” Jasper smiled, “someones grumpy this morning!”

“If you had Discord for an alarm clock,” I said, “you’d be grumpy too!”

At that comment everyone doubled over in laughter. Discord pulled out a mic out of thin air and left it floating in the air beside him.

“Thank you, thank you!” Discord said. “I’ll be here all week!”

“The hell you will!” I said. “Fluttershy, where’s the butcher’s knife?”

“Discord!” Fluttershy said. “Knock it off or we’re going to have a long talk later!”

Discord looked horrified when Fluttershy said that.

“Not another talk!” Discord said. “Anything but another talk!”

“Good,” said Fluttershy, “now be a good husband and pass out breakfast for once?”

“Fine, fine…” Discord said.

Cozy Glow then came from outside and sat down at the table.

“I saw you train the other day,” said Jasper, “you were fighting six people this time! Aren't they supposed to be fighting with you? What’s up with that?”

I didn’t say anything at first, because I didn’t want to talk about it but everyone was staring at me so I answered reluctantly, “yeah they're supposed to but they decide not to. I think it’s safe to say Second Luke is trying to kill me and everyone else that I’m fighting with is in on it. Because everyone that I’m fighting with just loves to play monkey in the middle!”

“Let me guess,” Sunset said, “you're the monkey?”

“Yup,” I said growing tired of this discussion, “Second Luke has warned them about not cooperating but they don't listen. So I wind up fighting on my own terms. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose…”

“You have to fight six people on your own?” Sunset said. “I mean I know you’re talented in hand in hand combat but for crying out loud! Talk about unfair!”

I didn’t answer because I didn’t want anymore of their damn sympathy.

“What is with everyone being so jealous?” Robert said. “I mean you won that duel with Shadow Mist and became general because of it. But they need to take in consideration how they became general or lieutenant for that matter!”

I was done with this pity party so I punched the table and almost flipped it over in the process.

“I don’t need sympathy!” I snarled at them. “If fighting alone helps me improve then that’s what I’ll do! It’s no different than me training on the simulator to get my death walker abilities up to par! So don’t even think about it!”

Cozy Glow tilted her head confused about what I just said, “Simulator? What’s that all about?”

“It’s something you won’t need to use anytime soon.” Sunset said. "Because you're still a kid and I can teach you more as you grow up. Norman on the other hand needs progress in his training because he's in Euqestria's military. When you're in the military a war could happen at a moment's notice and you aren't even old enough to enlist."

Cozy Glow didn’t say anything, no one did when I got up and flipped the table. I then started to walk away when Sunset used her death walker abilities to summon a rope and tie me to a chair. That made me even more mad but I couldn’t think of a way to get out of the chair when the rope came from a death walker.

“Let me go Sunset!” I snapped.

“Nope!” Sunset said. “Not happening! Everyone sorry about breakfast but could you clear out so I can knock some sense into Norman?”

Everyone looked clearly terrified at what I just did and had no problem clearing out of the room.

“Honestly Norman!” Sunset growled. “I knew you turned people into punching bags but did you have to turn the damn table into a punching bag too? Really!”

“I thought I said let me go!” I said.

Sunset came up and slapped me in the face so hard that I was surprised it didn’t leave a mark.

“Norman I know you’re pissed that people aren’t looking out for you especially when you’re fighting!” Sunset said. “Think of it this way, no one looked out for Betty and now she’s a legend! Sure she was probably pissed off too. Did you read the history book about her?”

After Sunset said that I remembered what was in the history book and realized that she was right. But either way you look at it that still doesn’t clear my subconscious for not being there for her.

“Do you remember that she won two medals herself? And that was all on her own just like you.” Sunset said. “Do remember how many people and ponies she lost on the mission she had to track down Tirek and Queen Chrysalis? She lost twenty-five! She blamed herself for not being there for them! You wanna know what Princess Twilight said to her? That you can’t protect everyone. Now you spoke to Betty about not being there for her but what did she say about trying to get over it?”

“She said that I could take as long as I needed to get past it…” I said.

“And I’m sure Betty took a while to get over the twenty-five people she lost!” Sunset said. “She didn’t let her grief piss her off so much that she couldn’t think straight! And you’re not thinking straight!”

“How do you figure that out?” I snapped. Once again Sunset slapped me. “Would you stop slapping me?” Sunset replied with another slap to my face.

“She might not have wanted sympathy from people,” said Sunset, “but she didn’t let her grief upset her so much that she couldn’t do her job! That’s why I say you’re not thinking straight you’re letting your grief get the best of you right now. I’m pretty sure that Betty wouldn't take anger out on people just because of that! Remember this Norman, why do you keep saving people from dying?”

“To honor Betty’s memory…” I mumbled.

“Exactly,” said Sunset, “keep that in mind when you’re doing your job. If Betty can get past her grief, you can get past your grief to become a hero! And you already have! Or did you forget the reason why you became a general? Sure people are jealous and that’s not your fault, that’s their problem. If you ask me they’re just a couple of schoolyard bullies that want to pick a fight! And jealousy does not look good on people and you know it. And I’m sure people will see that and get behind you! Just like Dae and Fluttershy got behind Betty in the end. And to add onto that people and ponies are already behind you! Do you know who that is?”

I felt like I was a bad little kid that was getting disciplined and truth be told I was.

“My family…” I said.

“That’s right,” said Sunset, “and don’t you forget it! I’ve said all I have to say, I’m letting you go now. Don’t turn the chair into a punching bag next!”

Strangely enough when Sunset untied me and I got up from the chair I actually was calmer. I looked around me to see food and broken plates spread out across the floor. Eggs and various other foods were strewn out across the walls and even the cupboards. It looks like I had quite a job to do.

I started to pick up a broken plate off the floor and I smiled as Sunset came over to help. Sunset and I spent the next half hour cleaning up the mess I created.

* * *

The next day Sunset called Cozy Glow and I out to the back yard.

Sunset sighed, “I’m not if I should begin this so soon after that little outburst you had the other day Norman, but I think it’s time you two practice your beacon light training again.”

Oh boy, I thought, I hope I don’t hear any nursery rhymes again!

“I know what you’re thinking,” said Sunset, “it’s going to be an abandoned building this time. The client that hired the death walker specifically asked for you two to do the job.”

“Why us?” Cozy Glow said.

Sunset shrugged, “I don’t know, but where you’re going is a house on a graveyard that the residents have fled a couple of days ago. It’s because there is a poltergeist. The spirit has taken over the place and threatens to kill any person that comes into the house. The name of the spirit haunting the place is Twist Moon.”

My eyes went wide in terror as I heard the name.

“I take it that name rings a bell?” Sunset said.

“Is his cutie mark a moon with a candy cane next to it?” I said.

“Yes,” said Sunset, “how did you know?”

“That’s my father!” I said. “I left him thirteen years ago to find Betty! I’m not sure I want to ask but how did he die? And is he really dead?”

“Oh yeah,” said Sunset, “he’s dead alright! He was shot execution style and his heart was taken out!”

When I heard that I just about threw up.

Sunset tilted her head, “You okay Norman? You look a little green.”

“No,” I said, “I’m not okay, I really don’t like seeing dead bodies taken apart or hear about them being taken apart!”

“Sorry,” said Sunset, “it is part of the job.”

“At least I have John taking the dead bodies apart still,” I said, “there’s no way that I’m going to do that!”

Sunset couldn’t help herself; she just fell out laughing.

I said, “I’m glad I’m entertaining, I think the next time I need to throw up I’ll just aim it at you.”

“Okay,” said Sunset, “I’m done. If you throw up on me I’ll just slap you again.”

I flinched when she said and then Cozy Glow saw that started laughing. I just bit my tongue so I wouldn’t get pissed off again.

“Sorry dad,” laughed Cozy Glow, “if I didn’t know any better I’d say you were afraid of Sunset.”

“Maybe,” said Sunset, “I did have to slap him a couple of times to knock some sense into him.”

I could feel my face turning red and when Cozy Glow saw this she was on her back laughing so hard she couldn’t breath.

“Okay Amethyst,” said Sunset, “all joking aside you two are leaving right now.”

Just like last time Sunset gave me and Cozy Glow and opened fist punch to the chest and we were out of our bodies.

“This is still weird!” I said.

“Oh yeah,” said Sunset, “here’s a compass that’ll lead you to the graveyard when you get close to it the compass will light up and go crazy. Now get going!”

Sunset tossed me the compass and we headed out.

* * *

Sure enough when we went to the right area the compass did exactly what Sunset said it would.

“Well,” I said, “looks like this is the right place!”

The door to the house was chained up and it looked like there was no way to get inside.

“So,” said Cozy Glow, “how do we get inside? The place looks shut tight!”

“Maybe we should knock?” I said.

On the door was a padlock that looked like it was made of copper.

“I have an idea of how we can open it!” Cozy Glow said.

“How?” I said.

“Just watch dad!” Cozy Glow said.

Cozy Glow then spit a copper arrow out of her mouth and put it inside the padlock it lit up and unlocked.

“Well that was easy!” I said.

“A little too easy if you ask me!” Cozy Glow said. “I wonder what horrors are waiting for us inside?”

“I really don’t want to know,” I said, “but we have to know if we want to complete the job.”

“Yup!” Cozy Glow said.

Just like when we fought Theodore, as soon as we entered the house it shook as if it were in an earthquake.

“Who's stepping into my house?” a voice boomed, “I will kill anyone who steps into my house!”

“Hi dad,” I said, “you can come out now, it’s me Norman!”

“Norman?” Twist said.

Twist came out the shadows and he looked like he did when he was alive but in ghost form.

“Well hello Norman,” said Twist, “it’s been awhile since I saw you last. And you look like a handsome young man! How old are you now?”

“As if I’d tell you!” I said. “What I want to know is why didn’t you do your job as a father?”

“I didn’t do a good job as a father?” Twist said. “I sent money home to mom didn’t I?”

“No you didn’t!” I said.

“Oh really?” Twist said. “Because I have the receipts that show I did!”

“You must be in denial!” I said. “Those receipts probably came from a liquor store! All you ever did was drink while I was the one that managed to keep a roof over our heads!”

"That's not true son," said Twist, "I only drank five beers a day!"

“Bite me dad!” I said. “Don’t you dare call me your son!”

“Fine then!” Twist said. “You ungrateful little brat!”

Twist paused and looked behind me to see Cozy Glow. He smiled when he looked at her and I really didn’t like the look he was giving her.

“Who is that behind you?” Twist said. “Another half breed?”

“She’s not a half breed!” I snarled. “That's an insult! It’s my daughter Amethyst and I’m a better dad than you’ll ever be!”

“Awe,” said Twist, “you brought my grandchild to see grandpa! But I guess the grandpa title is void. Considering I’m dead and all.”

Twist laughed like a psycho and it reminded me of Olivia’s laugh and it sent chills down my spine.

“Oh well,” said Twist, “I did say I will kill anyone who’s stepped into my house! And you stepped into my house, you're going to die now!”

No sooner had Twist said that, the drawers to the kitchen flew open. Then knives of all shapes and sizes came flying out at us.

“What is with pegasi and knife throwing?” I said.

“Hey!” Cozy Glow said. “I don’t throw knives, I have a bow and arrow! Remember?”

“I didn’t mean you Amethyst,” I said, “watch out!”

I pushed Cozy Glow out of the way as a chair flew past us.

“Furniture too?” I said. “Seriously?”

Twist laughed, “I told you that you’re going to die here, and I will use any means needed to do so, oh look, here come the books!”

As soon as Cozy Glow saw the books she shot as many of her arrows at them as much as possible.

“Nice, Amethyst!” I said.

“Of course,” said Cozy Glow, “I’ve been practicing with Sunset!”

“I can tell,” I said, “I hope she doesn’t lose her mind like some my other trainers have!”

Cozy Glow couldn’t help but laugh, “She wouldn’t do that to me! I’m a kid, remember?”

“You’re lucky,” I said, “you know that?”

Cozy Glow nodded and then I felt the stupid fire and earth attack getting ready to come out. I have to let it out because I couldn’t hold that attack in even if I tried.

“What’s this?” Twist said.

I smirked at Twist, “There’s something I forgot to tell you, I’m a death walker!”

Twist growled at me, “You are? Good then I’ll get to finish what your mother started!”

“What are you talking about?” I said.

“I told your mother to kill that little mutt you have for a sister a long time ago!” Twist said. “But no she just had to wait until Betty was a full fledged death walker! Your mother can’t help but wait for a challenge to fall right into her lap! Tell me son, did your mother finally kill Betty?”

I laughed as hard as I could to hold in my laughter but I didn't and that laughter wasn’t fake either.

“What’s so funny son?” Twist said.

“I thought I told you not to call me son!” I sneered at him. “If you must know, mother didn’t kill Betty because Betty killed her!”

“What?” Twist said.

“Oh yeah!” I snarled. “And get this, Betty’s a legend now and the queen of hell! You might read it in the history books one day! That is, if Betty and Dae let you stay in hell! Amethyst?”

“Yes dad?” Cozy Glow said.

“As soon as I stop him from moving,” I said, “pin him!”

“You got it!” Cozy Glow said.

Just like when I fought Sandy Breeze, Twist started flying around really fast enough to make a tornado. I looked down at my wrist to see the iron chain attack and smiled.

I wasn’t expecting this attack, I thought, but perfect timing!

I shot the iron chain and the blade that was attached went right through Twist freezing him in place. Twist was unable to move now it was my turn to laugh like a psycho.

“Yeah know something dad?” I growled at him. “I can go to hell anytime I want and that’s just to visit! You however are going to hell for punishment. I like the way this story ends because it’s a happy ending! Have fun with it! Now Amethyst!”

“You got it dad!” Gory Glow shouted.

Cozy Glow then shot two arrows through Twist pinning in the wall. The arrows lit up and shot a beam of light into the sky. I would’ve asked him if he had any last words but I just stared at him with a smile and laughed as he screamed while being sucked into the portal. After that my iron chain attack disappeared and I sat down on the ground feeling very satisfied that this job was done.

“Well,” I said, “glad that’s over with!”

“You and me both dad,” said Cozy Glow, “you and me both!”

“I think it’s time we back into our bodies now.” I said.

* * *

When we got back home and went back into our bodies Sunset smiled at us.

“Nice job you two!” Sunset said. “Especially you Amethyst! I knew your weapon did it this time!”

“Thanks Sunset!” Cozy Glow said.

“Now I think you would like to go and rest,” said Sunset, “I need to talk to your father again.”

Cozy Glow smiled and tried so hard not to laugh at what she was about to say next.

“You gonna slap him again?” Cozy Glow laughed.

Of course I just had to flinch when Cozy Glow said that and without another word and walked away laughing. After Cozy Glow left Sunset motioned for me to sit down beside her, I sat down as far away from her as possible.

“It’s okay Norman,” said Sunset, “I’m not going to slap you again, unless it’s needed.”

I just had to flinch again, and Sunset started laughing as if I had told a joke. I almost told her it wasn’t funny, but I didn’t feel like getting slapped again. She stopped laughing and looked at me with concern on her face and I didn’t like that look either. I was tired of people giving me that look.

“I used my death walker abilities to see the fight.” Sunset said.

I looked away and didn’t want to respond to her.

“Oh Norman,” sighed Sunset, “I didn’t know your dad was that bad. At least you didn’t become a death walker until after you grew up! And I saw something that I’d never thought I’d see when I’m training a new death walker!”

“What did you see?” I said.

“You were laughing as you sent your father to the Afterlife,” Sunset said, “I’m surprised that you were able to handle that without hesitation, being that he’s family. And that you did it so psychotically.”

I raised my eyebrow at that remark.

Sunset continued, “at least you got closure on that one. And I’ve never seen that before with a death walker.”

* * *

As soon as I sat down on the couch Discord was floating above my head.

“What do you want Discord?” I said.

“Oh nothing,” said Discord, “I just want to talk to you about Sunset for a minute.”

“What is it?” I said.

“I saw you two go upstairs,” said Discord, “I’m surprised she allowed that after your little outburst yesterday. She must be a really forgiving girlfriend. You got lucky on that one! If only I were twenty years younger!”

I just about choked on Discord’s words although I doubted that Sunset would ever get together with a creature like Discord.

“Out with it Discord!” I said.

“I was wondering,” said Discord, “if you’re comfortable with having a pony child?”

I raised an eyebrow, “I adopted Amethyst didn’t I?”

“Yeah,” said Discord, “but she’s not your biological child. What I mean is if Sunset had a child. Are you comfortable if she had a full pony child, I mean she is a unicorn and you have the genes from your father who was a pegasus. Are you okay with that?”

“Yeah I’m okay with it,” I said, “or I wouldn’t be with Sunset in the first place.”

“Just as long as you’re sure,” said Discord, “I just wanted to know that’s all.”

“Discord?” I said.

“What oh child of mine?” Discord said.

“I’m not your child!” I snapped. “If I recall correctly you adopted me! Just like I adopted Amethyst!”

“Okay, okay!” Discord said. “Sorry…”

"Apology accepted I guess…" I said.

* * *

The next day at work I could hear Jasper yelling at Liz. I guessed the reason for it was I talked to Second Luke about finding a way to keep Liz out of the observation room when I train. After I talked to him, Second Luke was able to get me and Jasper something that's called a 'protection machine class-a.' It only works when either me or Jasper give someone authorization to get into the observation room. I’m not quite sure of all the ins and outs on how the machine works. But if it keeps crazy people from watching me train and recording me that was perfectly okay with me. I was sitting in my office doing some paperwork when I heard Jasper and Liz's conversation.

“There’s no way you’re getting into the observation room!” Jasper said. “And there’s no way I’m giving you access to it either!”

“Oh come on Jasper,” Liz said. “I just want to write another song about Norman!”

“You’re just as bad as Chole!” Jasper said. “I said no!”

“Fine then!” Liz said. “If you won’t give it to me willingly then I’ll just have to take it! Which I figured I have to!”

I heard what sounded like a struggle and ran out of my office as fast as I could only to see Jasper tied to a chair and Liz had given him a black eye to make him give her access to the observation room. At first I was frozen in terror but when I regained my composure I was going to charge at Liz like a rampaging bull when Luke came around the corner.

“Second Liz,” said Luke, “do you want to tell me why Second Jasper is tied to a chair?”

Luke paused when he saw the black eye Jasper had from Liz assaulting him, and Second Luke had the same reaction I had. I could tell he was seething with rage and I shrank back in terror.

“Oh no you didn’t Second Liz!” Luke roared. “You assaulted a high rank officer! Are you kidding me!”

“I uh…” Liz said. I almost smiled as Liz was quaking in fear.

Luke yanked Liz off Jasper by her arm.

“I’ll be reporting this to your general,” Luke said, “and hopefully you’ll be suspended for this! Or sacked, I don’t care which one!”

“But sir-“ Liz said.

“I don’t care!” Luke roared.

Without another word, Luke dragged Liz down to her general's office. I was about to go help Jasper out of the chair but he had already beaten me to it. I finally stopped seeing red. I was so angry I was shaking.

“Norman calm down!” Jasper said. “I’m fine!”

“I’m glad the Second Luke got there who knows what I would’ve done to her!” I said.

Jasper could see that I was really upset when he hugged me. After a while I finally calmed down and Jasper pulled back and looked at me. He then kissed me and I relaxed. After that happened we didn't realize that Chloe had been watching because Jasper looked over and saw that she was shaking in anger so bad that she dropped her paperwork.

“Last time I checked you’re not gay!” Chole shouted. “You’re mine and you know it!”

“And last time I checked,” said Jasper, “I said no and I am gay! I thought I told you that several times!”

I could tell Chole wanted to strangle Jasper but kept herself from doing so. Jasper gave her a spiteful look and kissed me again just to make a point. I wished I had been able to record the look on Chole's face. She was definitely really pissed off, she picked up her paperwork, scoffed and stormed off in anger.