• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 410 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 410

11) The Duel With Shadow Mist

“Hey Norman,” Fluttershy smiled, “this just came for you!”

Much to my horror, it was another love letter with a rose attached to it. I did a face palm and groaned.

“Another one?” I moaned. “That’s the second one in two weeks!”

“I think the person that’s writing those letters is shy that’s all,” said Fluttershy, “I used to be that way until Discord came along!”

“Yeah,” I said, “I hope this person isn’t stalking me too! I seriously don’t want to know who it is!”

Fluttershy couldn’t contain her laughter, she was laughing so hard she was on her back laughing.

“That’s not funny Fluttershy!” I said.

“No,” laughed Fluttershy, “it’s not the love letter that’s funny. It’s the way you’re reacting to it that is!”

“Seriously?” I said.

“You just have to face it Norman,” Fluttershy teased, “people just can’t help but fall for you. And trust me, I don’t blame them. Maybe you should do some investigation to figure out who it is?”

“No thank you,” I said, “it could be Princess Twilight for all I know! And that’s not going to happen!”

Fluttershy didn’t say anything else, she couldn’t keep a straight face even if she wanted too. She just walked away laughing.

* * *

The following day was my duel with Shadow Mist. I was definitely determined to beat this guy and send him home with his tail between his legs. Especially since he used Princess Twilight as a bargaining chip without her saying so. Before I could enter the arena to face Shadow Mist, Jack pulled me to the side.

“I’ve taught you everything I could think of before this duel,” said Jack, “use everything that I taught you in your arsenal of attacks.”

“Yes sir.” I said.

“Oh and one more thing Norman?” Jack said.

“Yes sir?” I said.

“Defeat this guy for me,” said Jack, “show him what a Knight of the Royal Court is!”

“Yes sir!” I said.

Jack then gave me a salute and I walked towards the arena.

* * *

When I got to the arena, I saw there was a huge crowd of people sitting above the fighting area. I didn’t notice before but Shadow Mist was actually a unicorn. That’s probably because he wore a hat covering his horn last time I saw him. He also came in with two swords floating in his magic.

No wonder why Jack was training me with another guy, I thought, he must’ve known this about Shadow Mist.

Shining Armor then into the middle of the arena with a microphone floating in his magic.

“Okay ladies and gentlemen,” said Shining Armor, “this the duel everyone has been waiting for! The rules are this, I want a fair fight, no death walker abilities and no magic. You can only use hooves and hands if need be although I can only think only a couple of moves that need that.

Anyway, in the first corner, we have Norman Jewel. Related to Betty Jewel the Legendary Death Walker! He’s also the most talented Knight of the Royal Court! He has also won six medals for bravery in battle!

And in the next corner, we have a unicorn prince named Shadow Mist. He comes from the overseas kingdom of Mave!

As I said before, a fair fight, no magic and no death walker abilities. Okay then, let the fight begin!”

“It’s been a while since I’ve seen you Norman,” said Shadow Mist, “I didn’t know you were a decorated knight or I would’ve challenged you to a duel just for that alone.”

I groaned, “Let’s just get this over with!”

“You say that like you’re going to beat me no problem!” Shadow Mist boasted. “Don’t worry, I won’t go down easily!”

The first move was Shadow Mist’s move, he aimed his sword at my chest and I jumped over it easily. His next move was to make his swords into an x and they boomeranged off to my side. I caught it in the middle of the swords with my sword. We both held our attacks for a moment.

“I’m not going to lose to you,” I roared, “especially when it means protecting the princess!”

“Awe, does the Knight have a crush on Princess Twilight?” Shadow Mist taunted. “That’s so cute!”

“No I don’t,” I said, “I’m just doing my job and that’s it!”

The next move was mine, I aimed my sword at Shadow Mist’s horn and he blocked it with one of his swords.

“Would you stop playing games here!” Shadow Mist sneered. “If you want to beat me, you’re going to have to do much better than that!”

Fine, I thought, have it your way!

Up in the crowd I had no idea that Olivia and Jasper were cheering me on as much as Sunset and Robert were.

“Wow,” cheered Jasper, “look at him go! He must be the best student Jacks ever trained!”

“No kidding,” said Olivia, “they’re going so fast, I can barely keep up with them!”

“Well,” said Jasper, “this is Norman we’re talking about here! What more can you expect?”

“Dude,” gasped Olivia, “you’re actually cheering for him? That’s new!”

“Ha, ha Olivia,” said Jasper, “that was so funny I forgot to laugh.”

“I think my boyfriend’s going to win this one no problem,” exclaimed Robert, “don’t you think?”

“I couldn’t agree more!” Sunset said.

It’s a good thing I couldn’t hear that conversation because I needed all the concentration I could get. Shadow Mist’s attacks were coming at an alarming speed. An attack with one of his swords whizzed past my shoulder. I just titled my head to the other side to dodge it. Then came the attack that Jack had been teaching me to deal with all this time. Shadow Mist then aimed one of his swords at my left side and I blocked it with my fist. He aimed his other sword at my right side and I blocked it with the palm of my hand.

I stayed that way for a moment. I managed to take the sword with my fist and throw it about a yard away from Shadow Mist. I then took the sword that I had caught in the palm of my hand and snapped it in two.

Shadow Mist was caught off guard by this move, so I took the opportunity to get behind him and aim my sword at his neck. Shadow Mist stayed right where he was not wanting to move an inch.

“I do believe,” I hissed, “that this is a checkmate! Like I said, if you bring harm to the princess, I won’t hesitate to deal with you! And you using the princess as a bargaining chip without her saying so is a cowardly move! And that’s enough of a threat to deal with you! Do you understand me?”

Shadow Mist didn’t say anything, he just nodded slowly.

“I do believe I’ve won this one,” I said, “what did you say, winner takes all?”

“Okay then,” said Shining Armor, “fights over! Put away your weapons now!”

I did as I was told and put my sword back into its sheath.

“The winner of this fight,” said Shining Armor, “is Norman Jewel!”

I just about rolled my eyes at what happened next. The crowd of spectators started cheering and chanting my name. Shining Armor then went up to Shadow Mist glaring at him as hard as he could.

“I know what you’ve been trying to do with my sister Shadow Mist,” scolded Shining Armor, “if you ask me you’re no prince at all! You’re just some royal pedigree with a birthright! I wish that all princes and princesses should be named instead of being born into it! Come to think of it, I love to name Norman as a prince!”

My eyes went wide in terror.

I do not want to be a prince! I thought. No thank you!

“But judging by that terrified look on his face,” said Shining Armor, “he doesn’t even want the title! Which means he’s more humble than you! Since he doesn’t want to be a prince, I can do the next best thing. Starting tomorrow Norman, you are a General for the Royal Court!”

I wanted to say something, but I just kept my mouth shut.

“So Norman you’re a General for the Royal Court and that starts tomorrow!” Shining Armor said. “And you Shadow Mist, you take the next train out of Equestria and don’t come back! And don’t even come to the Crystal Empire too! You’re banned from both countries! Now get out of my sight!”

Shadow Mist then ran out of the arena with his tail between his legs.

“Did I just hear you correctly?” I said. “You want me to be a General for the Royal Court now?”

“Yes,” said Shining Armor, “you heard me correctly, starting tomorrow, you are a General for the Royal Court. I hear that John recommended you for the job a few weeks ago. I just wish I had gotten to it sooner. I’ll personally be giving you another medal too. Don’t worry, there won’t be a ceremony, you just have to stop by the Crystal Empire for it. You’ll also be fitted for your new uniform too.”

“But, what about my teammates?” I asked.

“Oh yeah,” said Shining Armor, “that you can assign them to another team, or give them other job titles. Do with them what you see fit.”

“Yes,” I said, “your highness…”

“Oh and Norman,” said Shining Armor, “thank you, for protecting my sister.”

“Yes your highness.” I said.

“You may go now,” said Shining Armor, “and celebrate your victory for once okay?”

“Yes,” I said, “your highness,...”

Shining Armor then turned around and walked away. I couldn’t believe what just happened.

* * *

“Good job dad!” Cozy Glow said. “You won! I knew you could do it!”

“That’s my Norman for yeah!” Discord said.

“Well at least you’re not calling me Normie anymore!” I growled.

“Yeah,” joked Discord, “you’re a big boy now! So you don’t need the pet name anymore!”

That’s Discord for you! I thought.

I felt someone clap me on the back, it was Jasper.

“Okay,” shuddered Olivia, “that’s not creepy at all! Nope, not creepy!”

“I knew you could do it!” Jasper cheered. “You sent that Shadow Mist packing! I think it was funny the way he ran out of the arena!”

I didn’t say a word because I was still too stunned by what just happened.

“Are you okay Norman?” Robert said. “You look like you’re in shock!”

“Uh,” I said, “I’m fine, I think I need to go hide underneath my bed now!”

At that comment everyone burst into laughter.

“I knew you were perfect for the job of General!” John cheered. “Why so you think I recommended you for the job in the first place?”

I couldn’t think of anything else, my knees gave out on me and the world went dark.

* * *

When I opened my eyes again, I was back in my bed, Robert and Sunset were there with concerned looks on their faces. I sat up thinking that the whole duel with Shadow Mist didn’t happen. In my eyes, it was just a bad dream.

“Okay,” I said, “I’m going to pretend that duel with Shadow Mist never even happened!”

“Dude you just passed out from shock,” said Robert, “calm down and take a chill pill for once! And yes that duel with Shadow Mist did happen!”

“Robert’s right,” Sunset nodded, “you need to rest so you can be well enough to start your new job tomorrow.”

I took a deep breath and calmed down.

“I’m calm…” I screamed. “I’m perfectly calm… Let’s just hope I don’t have to do another duel again!”

“Yeah,” said Sunset, “that might happen more often now that you’re a General. Don’t forget about your death walker training also! I’ll train you on base if I have too! That’s sure to draw a crowd! I guess people just can’t help watch you train. It’s kind of comical to me.”

“I wish that wouldn’t happen if you ask me!” I said.

“Oh well,” smiled Robert, “it can’t be helped. I guess it comes with the territory!”

“And I bet more people will watch you train,” said Sunset, “ now that you’re a General! Just accept you’re a hero for once okay?”

“And I do believe,” smirked Robert, “that Shining Armor said to celebrate your victory?”

“Don’t even think about it!” I shouted.

“Like I said,” said Robert, “take a chill pill for once! Besides I wasn’t talking about something big, I was just thinking about maybe a family gathering. And no I won’t let Pinkie Pie throw you a party, I’ll lock the door if I have to!”

“It’s kind of funny though,” said Sunset, “keep this up and you’ll make Commander in a matter of weeks!”

“I hope not…” I said.

* * *

“Yes, yes,” the seamstress said, “this’ll do! Oh yeah, your girlfriend Sunset Shimmer found all of your medals for me. Can you imagine that they were all hidden away?”

“Ah…” I said. I had nothing to say to her. I just looked down at the floor.

“Oh,” said the seamstress, “you’re going to have to wear all your medals on your uniform!”

“Seriously?” I exclaimed.

“Yup,” the seamstress said, “it’s standard protocol for all Generals not so much Lieutenant but for Generals yes. Ah, here we go!”

At least the uniform doesn’t make me look stupid! I thought.

This time the uniform was all gray with seven silver buttons going down the right side. My medals were placed on the left side of the uniform.

“Now you look like a General!” The seamstress said. “Oh and here’s your hat and your Commander will be showing you your office. Run along now!”

I walked out of the room hoping not to run into anyone. That was wishful thinking because I just had to run into Olivia and Robert. There was no sign of Jasper yet, but I would have to be calling them into my office soon. When Robert saw me he whistled at me.

“Looking good Norman,” said Robert, “you really know how to wear that uniform!”

I rolled my eyes, “I’m not going to say a word!”

“Robert’s right,” said Olivia, “you look sexy in that uniform!’

“You said about the last one!” I griped.

“Oh please,” said Olivia, “you could wear a trash bag and still pull it off!”

Robert couldn’t help himself, he doubled over in laughter.

“That’s not funny Robert!” I said.

“Dude,” said Robert, “I’m not picking on you. It’s just that Olivia is completely right!”

I groaned, “Why me!”

“Why not you?” Olivia smirked. “You’re a hero, Norman, just face the facts and accept reality!”

I rolled my eyes, “Olivia, I need to see you and Jasper in my office in a half hour. Got that?”

“Yes sir!” Olivia said.

“Please don’t call me that!” I said.

“Sorry,” protested Olivia, “standard protocol, I’ll go find Jasper right away sir!”

I did a face palm, “This is so not me!”

“Don’t worry Norman,” said Robert, “you’ll be fine! I have to go report to my superior too! See you later!”

“Yeah,” I said, “see you later!”

I went to go find the Commander which just so happens to be Rainbow Dash. I knocked on Rainbow Dash's door, hopefully no one was there. Again, that was wishful thinking.

“You may enter!” Rainbow Dash shouted.

I opened the door and walked in.

“Ah, if it isn’t our new General Norman Jewel!” Rainbow Dash smiled. “I’m so glad you’re under my division! You know, I’m getting ready to retire soon! I might just name you as Commander next!”

I hope not… I thought.

“Let me show you to your new office,” Rainbow Dash said, “follow me!”

I followed Rainbow Dash down the hallway. When we finally got to the office, I stared at the door in horror.

The title on the door was:

Norman Jewel
General
2nd Division

“Here you go,” said Rainbow Dash, “it’s already set up! You’re dismissed!”

“Yes ma’am!” I said.

I went into the office, sat down at the desk and tried to pretend that this job never happened.