• Published 22nd Jun 2020
  • 410 Views, 5 Comments

The Ghost of Cozy Glow the Second Story - SapphireRose87



My sister Betty jumped off a cliff to her death twelve years ago. I'm still dealing with the guilt for not being there for her.

  • ...
12
 5
 410

18) The War For Canterlot and Princess Twilight Starts Now!

It was my first day back and it just so happened to be a slow day at the office. Jasper and I had decided to go into my office to make out instead of playing chess like we normally would. I had the door locked and was hoping that Liz and Chole wouldn’t knock on the door. Once we were in the middle of it there was a knock on the door. I guess it was too much to ask for.

“Damn it!” I mumbled. “It just had to be now.”

Jasper let go of me and sighed, “You should probably answer that. Let’s hope it’s not Liz or Chole.”

I rolled my eyes, “You may enter!”

That was when John was caught by surprise when he saw me and Jasper standing close to each other. John paused and his face took on a puzzled look and laughed.

John finally paused long enough to speak, “I knew you guys were friends now but I didn’t think you were that close! So when did you two become friends with benefits?”

Jasper and I didn’t say a word we just looked away and John resumed laughing. We exchanged a glance patiently waiting for John to stop laughing.

“Anyway,” said John, “I didn’t come here to embarrass you two. I actually came to pick up my assignments for my kn-“

“KSHKHHKHHH!” John didn’t get a chance to finish his sentence when my radio went off.

“I wonder what that’s all about?” John said.

I shrugged, “I don’t know…”

“Roger, roger,” said Luke, “General Norman please report to the main desk! There’s something you need to see. And you might want to bring your second in command too! Over!”

“Roger that,” I said, “we’re coming! Over!”

“Roger,” said Luke, “over and out!”

“Huh,” said John, “I’d never thought I’d see the day when I would actually hear a radio being answered by a general!”

“We’d better go,” I said, “I don't know what this is about but usually if they ask me to bring my second in command it’s serious. We’d love to stay and talk, but we can’t. You’re dismissed!”

John nodded, “Yes sir…”

“I wonder why they need us again?” Jasper said. “Olivia isn’t here.”

“I don’t know,” I said, “but I have a bad feeling about this!”

We were coming around the corner when I heard his voice and there was no mistaking it, the voice was Shadow Mist.

“I will not speak to anyone,” said Shadow Mist, “until General Norman comes!”

“What’s going on, Second Luke?” I said.

“Do you recognize this guy?” Luke said.

“Yeah,” I said, “that’s the jerk that I got into a duel with!”

“Go ahead general,” said Luke, “he’s all yours!”

I then stepped in front of the screen and Shadow Mist had an evil grin on his face.

“Ah General Norman,” said Shadow Mist, “it’s so nice to see you again!”

I rolled my eyes, “And it’s very nice to see you! Are you calling to challenge me to another duel or something? Because the way I see it, you’re still a threat to the princess! Using the princess as a bargaining chip is a cowardly move. I do believe she doesn’t want to marry you! How many times does Princess Twilight have to say no before you take a hint?”

Shadow Mist laughed like psycho and it looked like he was having the best of times. He was really getting on my nerves and I wished I could punch him through the screen and send him flying.

“You may have won the duel with me general,” said Shadow Mist, “but you will not win the war!”

“And why’s that?” I said.

“I’m going to let you in on a secret,” Shadow Mist sneered at me, “I’m not the prince of the kingdom of Mave, I’m actually the king!”

“And I’m supposed to react to that how?” I said. “Because I don’t acknowledge rulers that I don’t recognize!”

“Oh?” Shadow Mist said. “You’ll recognize me as ruler alright! That is, if I decide to let you live! I just might execute you and hang your dead body from my castle front door! I might also feed your insides to my alligators. That will be a nice snack for them!”

“I’d rather be a snack for your alligators then recognize you as a ruler!” I said.

“Well,” said Shadow Mist, “then you might want to have a doctor examine your head! But that might not be needed considering you’re a death walker and all! And since you are a death walker, I’d challenge you to another duel! Actually it’s not a duel it’s a war this time! How about we set some ground rules for this war hmm? Although this war might not have to happen if we settle things right here and now!”

“I thought the princess told you she doesn’t want to-“ I didn’t finish my sentence because Princess Twilight tapped me on the shoulder to stop me from doing so.

“It’s okay General Norman let me talk to him.” Princess Twilight said. “What do you want, Shadow Mist?”

Shadow Mist smiled, “Well Princess Twilight! You look like a goddess!”

“Don’t call me a goddess!” Princess Twilight snapped. “I think I said I don’t want to marry you!”

“That maybe so,” said Shadow Mist, “but I’m giving you one last chance to say yes! I have a beautiful engagement ring for you and everything!”

“Why do you think I want an engagement ring around my neck from you?” Princess Twilight said.

“I just thought you might want to say yes so this war doesn’t have to happen!” Shadow Mist said. “It’ll save you a lot of trouble from stepping over your dead soldiers bodies!”

“You want to know something, Shadow Mist?” Princess Twilight said. “Soldiers die in the military every day! And I’m pretty you’ve had a lot of soldiers die every day in your kingdom too. And I don’t step over their bodies. I honor their memories! That’s not stepping over their dead bodies! Because I do what those soldiers would want me to do! Do you think Princess Celestia and Princess Luna stepped over their soldiers' dead bodies in the first human and pony war and following that, the second human and pony war? No, they fought right beside their soldiers! It wasn’t until they had chosen a successor that they had to stop fighting or they would’ve fought until they died! Sadly they did die because the enemy found out where they were. What are you doing, Shadow Mist? Are you just wanting to pick a fight so you can step over your dead soldiers' bodies?”

“Hmm,” said Shadow Mist with an evil smile, “I’m just wanting you to marry me! I think we would make wonderful offspring, don't you think?”

“You want me to marry you for offspring?” Princess Twilight snapped. “I think you're the one that’s going to step over your dead soldiers' bodies! Tell me Shadow Mist, are you even going to grieve for your soldiers when they’re gone? Because I grieve for mine every day!”

“No I won’t grieve for them,” said Shadow Mist, “I don’t show any sympathy for my soldiers whatsoever they’re my servants nothing more nothing less! I’ve used my property as a rug for my fireplace in the living room.”

“When are you going to understand that no means no?” Princess Twilight snapped.

“Fine then, have it your way princess!” Shadow Mist snapped. “Since, princess, you will not marry me and be a fine queen for my kingdom, I guess we have to go ahead with war General Norman. Let’s lay out some ground rules then shall we?”

“What are they, you jerk?” I said.

“Just like in our duel,” said Shadow Mist, “I win, the princess will marry me, no questions asked. She’ll make a fine queen of the kingdom of Mave, don’t you think?”

“And if I win?” I said.

“Then you get the princess!” Shadow Mist snarled. “Hey, you can marry her for all I care! You seem to be very dedicated to protecting her!”

When Shadow Mist said that I seethed with rage.

“It’s called doing a job!” I said. “You don’t need to have a crush on someone to do your job idiot!”

“Aww,” said Shadow Mist, “did I hit a nerve? You’re seething with rage so bad that I can taste it all the way from here! Ha, ha! Anyway, when I take the princess for my bride, I’ll be ruling over Canterlot too! Maybe that’s where me and the princess can have our honeymoon? Wouldn’t that be wonderful? I can’t wait! So you’ve received my declaration of war. The battle for Canterlot and Princess Twilight starts now! I’ll be seeing you soon General Norman!”

After Shadow Mist declared war on Equestria, I turned around to see that Princess Twilight was steaming. I had never seen the princess this mad before and shrank back in fear.

“That jerk!” Princess Twilight shouted. “Great! Just perfect! Shadow Mist obviously doesn’t know how to read a contract! It specifically states that if I refuse to marry him then the contract breaks. I’ve told him that several times and since he’s declared war and for the dumbest reason ever. I can’t refuse, it’s Equestrian Law unfortunately! So since Shadow Mist can’t take no for an answer, every single soldier that dies their blood will be on his hooves! I’m sorry everyone but it’s out of my hooves now. We are officially at war!”

* * *

As soon as the message of war was declared an alarm sounded all throughout the base.

“This is an urgent message! We are officially at war! The war is between the kingdom of Mave and Equestria! All high ranking officers report to your stations! All cadets report to your generals! All generals! Before you collect your cadets, report to your commanders!”

The message on the intercom played over and over since I was already at Second Luke’s desk. All I had to do was turn around and see Commander Rainbow Dash.

“Well,” said Rainbow Dash, “I’d never thought I’d see the day when war with Equestria would happen again!”

“General Norman,” said Princess Twilight, “I know Shadow Mist declared war because I won’t marry him and I still won’t! Now I’ve set up a team of five officers that will get behind enemy lines. I did it just in case this happened. The team of five includes you and Jasper.

And the king and queen of hell have agreed to bring their army to assist us. I had a feeling ever since you won that duel with him that something like this might happen. Don’t worry about me. I'll be in a secure location because I don’t have a successor yet. Now go! Gather your cadets and may Celestia be with us all!”

I turned around because Rainbow Dash had tapped me on the shoulder.

“Well General Norman,” said Rainbow Dash, “your fighting will start at trench #12 until you can meet up your team to go behind enemy lines. And as Princess Twilight said, may Celestia be with us all!”

I just about bit my tongue on that remark. Because Celestia is dead, she can’t do a thing to help us.

* * *

Fortunately, before I gathered my cadets Second Luke let me make a phone call home. Sunset was the one who answered the phone.

“This might be the last time I get to talk to you,” I said, “hopefully I’ll be able to talk to you when this is over with.”

“Thankfully,” said Sunset, “Robert’s been allowed to stay behind with civilians. He’s going to be looking over Amethyst and I. Have you made your death walker decision yet?”

“Yes,” I said, “I want to live.”

“Amethyst and I have made the same decision.” Sunset said.

“I love you Sunset,” I said, “tell Robert and Amethyst I love them too. And do me a favor?”

“Yes, Norman?” Sunset said.

“Stay safe for me.” I said.

“Norman?” Sunset said.

“Yes?” I said.

“You and Jasper come back home alive and not in a casket!” Sunset said.

“I will try my best,” I said, “but I can’t make any promises…”

After I hung up the phone, Jasper pulled me to the side.

“What did they say?” Jasper said.

“That me and you come back alive and not in a casket.” I said. Without warning Jasper kissed me.

“Well,” said Jasper, “we’ll just have to make it back alive.”

* * *

As soon as the message of war was received a force field was put up around the city and border patrol was heightened. Fluttershy, Discord, Cozy Glow, Sunset and Robert were at home watching the coverage of war.

A reporter named Aurora gave people coverage of the war and a play by play on what was happening. She had a lot of experience out in the field as a reporter. Aurora was hand picked to follow Jasper and Norman around during the war.

“My name is Aurora,” said Aurora, “I’m signing in for the start of the coverage of the war between the kingdom of Mave and Equestria and I only give coverage of what I’m authorized to do. All fourteen divisions with their Commanders, Generals and cadets and other ranks of officers are lined up waiting for the formal address from Commander Rainbow Dash before they go to their trenches to start fighting. Here comes Commander Rainbow Dash to make the formal address.”

As Commander Rainbow Dash made her formal address, the camera switched between several shots. They saw Soldiers lining up waiting for the signal to start fighting. When the cameras finally showed Jasper and Norman in the line, everyone that was watching were on the edge of their seats. Since Aurora was the main reporter that would be doing the coverage on the war, she was also giving coverage on Commander Rainbow Dash’s making her formal address. Probably because she would be following Jasper and Norman around. For some reason it was decided that Norman and Jasper were the stars of the show.

“I wish I could fight,” said Cozy Glow, “I am a death walker after all.”

“No Cozy Glow,” said Sunset, “you’re only fourteen! You’re not old enough to do that!”

“Did you just call Amethyst Cozy Glow?” Robert said. “I thought she was turned to stone?”

“I thought you didn’t know about my past Sunset?” Cozy Glow said.

“Betty told me about it,” said Sunset, “she told me that you took on the name Amethyst Rose too.”

“Could someone explain this to me?” Robert said. “I’m not following you.”

“You see Robert,” said Cozy Glow, “as you know, I was turned to stone because of declaring war on Equestria. I was trapped in a statue so my soul couldn’t crossover. Betty smashed my statue and then my soul was bound to her. Eventually Betty died, that was fourteen years ago, and my soul was able to crossover. At this point the Ice Breakers declared me as a death walker but I didn’t know this until later. The Afterlife Court gave me the choice to go to heaven or be resurrected as a pegasus. I chose to be resurrected as a pegasus. When I was resurrected I was pretty much a baby again when Norman adopted me. Twelve years later we saw Betty again. She told us that we were death walkers.

“I’m a kid and only fourteen now that’s why I can’t go help fight. So that’s the whole story as far as I’m concerned. I can’t speak for dad, his story’s a little more complicated.”

Robert had an expression of contemplation. Sunset chimed in, “I’m sorry about not telling you sooner Robert and we’ll tell Jasper if he comes back alive and hopefully Norman will too. I hope this doesn’t mean you’ll leave Norman because of this.”

Robert doubled over in laughter. This reaction confused Sunset.

“What’s so funny?” Sunset said.

“Oh no,” said Robert, “I’m not leaving Norman because of this. He was just protecting Cozy Glow because she was a kid again and I assume he knew that because his sister is a death walker! If the shoe was my foot I would’ve done the same thing.”

Sunset and Cozy Glow nodded and what Robert said made them feel much better.

* * *

When every soldier was given the go ahead to get to their trenches the fighting finally began. With the weather team fighting along with us we hoped that evened out our chances to keep the enemy from getting close to Canterlot.

Before the weather team could make their first move the enemy struck first. They rapidly fired their missiles and as soon as that started the weather team made their move next. The pegasi gathered clouds over the enemies and bounced up and down on them. Flashes of lightning erupted from the dark clouds blinding the enemies to prevent them from seeing their targets.

I wish I could say no one got hit by them, but I can’t. I wanted so badly to go and retrieve the soldier bodies that died but that wasn’t part of my job. It was the medic teams job to do that. Thankfully because this was a war I was able to use my death walker abilities.

The first death walker attack that came out of me was my smoke screen that was after I climbed out of the first trench that I was fighting in. The attack disguised my approach allowing me to close in and take down as many of the enemies that I could.

Jasper was also climbing out of the trench along with me taking as many of the enemies down with his arrows and it surprised me on how accurate he was in hitting his targets. He sure didn’t hit his targets like that when I first met him. I didn’t really get a chance to watch him train with arrows lately and I guess practice makes perfect.

I had climbed out of the trench for the twelfth time. I was starting to get too low on energy to summon my death walker abilities. That was when Dae appeared.

“What the-“ I said when I saw him.

“Get back in your trench now!” Dae said.

“I’m not sure I can!” I said.

Dae laughed, “Since that is the case, I guess I’ll have to save you general!”

“Okay?” I said.

I started heading back to my trench as fast as possible when I came upon ten snarling enemy ponies standing in my way. Dae took out his sword and threw it through the air spinning like a boomerang and in a flash it circled through the crowd of ponies and they instantly fell lifeless to the ground.

Well, I thought, he is the king of hell after all.

More lighting bolts were coming out of the sky and I zig zagged through them dodging to the best of my abilities and jumped back into the trench to catch my breath.

“You okay Norman?” Jasper said.

“I’m fine,” I said, “I just need to recover that’s all.”

We weren’t prepared when a missile came flying at our trench. It almost made it to our trench but dirt rained down on us instead.

“That was a close one! What happened?” I said.

Jasper replied, “That guy in black clothes sliced the missile that was coming towards us in half!”

“That would be Dae!” I said. “That’s my sister's husband! He’s the king of hell!”

“Well,” said Jasper, “at least we have the demons on our side! I wonder why there aren’t any Angels?”

“They’re probably happy sitting on the clouds watching us,” I said, “heaven and hell would never team up with each other!”

“Makes sense to me!” Jasper said. “I have to reload my arrows. How long will it take you to recover? Cause we’re going to move to another trench soon!”

“I’m not sure how long,” I said, “but I should be okay when we move!”

Then Second Luke came up from behind us.

“You’re going to be moving to the next trench in five minutes!” Luke said. “Get ready!”

“Yes sir!” Jasper and I said.

* * *

Back at home, my family was still watching the coverage on the war.

“It looks like General Norman and Second Jasper are getting ready to jump to trench #47! We’ll be following them there soon!” Aurora said. “Don’t forget General Norman and Second Jasper need to get behind enemy lines! We won’t be able to follow them afterwards! The intel on the enemy is that they are firing missiles at different trenches! We think they’re trying to figure out where General Norman and Second Jasper are! The weather team is now making tornadoes to catch as many of the enemy missiles as possible! And there they go! They're moving to the next trench and we’re following!”

“Looks like it’s so far so good,” said Robert, “I’m still crossing my fingers though!”

“Grandpa Discord,” said Cozy Glow, “can’t you do anything to help?”

“Unfortunately no,” said Discord, “I’m banned from fighting in war and I can’t use my powers outside of Equestria! Don’t worry I’ve received word that the king and queen of hell are helping.”

“You mean Aunt Betty’s there?” Cozy Glow said.

“Yes Amethyst,” said Discord, “and she’ll make sure your father’s safe okay?”

“Yes Grandpa Discord…” Cozy Glow said.

“I don’t know,” said Sunset, “even with Betty’s help, I don’t feel much better. This is war and… I don’t want to lose him.”

* * *

The weather team was still making tornadoes to catch the missiles as much as possible as Jasper and I were running toward the next trench. The flashes of lightning kept the enemies from seeing us while we advanced to the next trench. I almost got hit by a missile, thankfully one of the tornadoes caught it.

The enemy was still shooting at different trenches because they had no idea where we were.I still hadn't recovered enough to use my death walker abilities but enemy search squads of ponies kept coming to the different trenches so I was forced to sneak out and fight them off with my sword as they came without my death walker abilities, so wouldn’t find our trench. In between each enemy squad I fought I would retreat back to the trench for cover.

It also didn’t help that stupid news reporter was following Jasper and me around. I thought that the news reporter following us would be a dead give away to where we were. But no because the enemy army was just about as stupid as their ruler was.

“I wonder if the enemies are made up of trained monkeys or something?” Jasper said.

“Maybe,” I said, “if they’re stupid enough to not notice that stupid reporter following us then they are!”

“Yup!” Jasper said. “We’re moving to another trench soon!”