• Published 18th May 2020
  • 6,277 Views, 608 Comments

Cinematic Adventures: The Phantom Of The Opera - extremeenigma02



The Mane Six and Spike are at it again as they travel to 19th century Paris to the Opera Populare that’ is supposedly haunted by the so called “Phantom of the Opera”

  • ...
12
 608
 6,277

Rarity’s Despair

For the Elements of Harmony, the last few months have truly been quite an experience. In a short period of time, they have explored the most exotic worlds ever imagined and encountering many new, amazing friends. They have traveled to a magical world of talking animals, singing munchkins, and an evil witch bent on total world domination… And vengeance. They then ventured to an island inhabited by demonic creatures, led by one of their fiercest enemies of all time. Then most recently, of course, they returned from an infamous chocolate factory filled with the most bizarre, yet amazing creations known to pony or mankind.

To make a long story short, this had been the most amazing adventure Twilight and her friends have taken part of.

The sun set on another fabulous Ponyville day, many of the denizens of this small town began to close shop for the day. In the past month, fall had already become season for Equestria. The leaves began to change to a lovely shade of yellow and red, as they fell from the treetops. Rarity, the town’s resident fashionista, just closed her clothing shop, the Carousel Boutique, ending business for the day. The white-coated unicorn, with the perfectly styled purple mane and triple diamond cutie mark, hummed a tune to herself while folding fabrics and storing them aside for opening time tomorrow. Once she was finished, she breathed a deep breath as she looked before her pristine shop in content.

“I do so love when my shop looks spick and span,” Rarity sighed, happily. “Especially after a long day of designing cutting-edge fashion.”

It was at this moment, the bell over the front door went ‘ding!’, and the door slammed shut. She turned around and was greeted by the familiar sight of a little unicorn filly with the similar coat as Rarity’s, except her mane was a blend of light purple and pink.

“Hiya Rarity!” Sweetie Belle greeted, excitedly. “You won’t believe what me, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo saw today!”

Rarity giggled to herself at her little sister’s energy. No matter how many times in the past the little filly would either stress her out or stir some trouble, Rarity nevertheless loved her little sister so dearly. She would never trade her for all the diamonds in the world.

“Oh really?” Rarity smirked. “And just what exactly am I not to believe you and your fellow crusaders have seen today?”

“So today, we decided to pay a visit to the Cakes and Diamond Tiara at Sugar Cube Corner, to see what kind of new treats Charlie delivered,” Sweetie Belle explained. “Turns out Charlie finally perfected the hair toffee from your last adventure. Cranky bought a box and now he’s finally got hair!”

Rarity went wide-eyed, gasping a bit at the idea. She recalled their previous venture that took them to an amazing Chocolate Factory. She especially remembered the Oompa Loompa who tried the then-unfinished toffee, the poor little fellow never did stop growing so much hair. She also remembered Pinkie Pie later saying he reminded her of some “Cousin It” chap with that same hair style, but Rarity took this as either Pinkie referring to a distant relative or it was just Pinkie being… Well, Pinkie.

Sweetie Belle soon reached into her saddlebag, which she carried with her, and pulled out some pictures for emphasis.

“See, here’s Cranky eating the hair toffee,” Sweeetie Belle pointed out. “A few minutes later, his hair grew out faster than a heartbeat.”

True to her word, the pictures depicted Cranky Doodle Donkey eating a piece of Hair Toffee, as the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Diamond Tiara watched from the side. In another picture, Cranky’s hair began to grow much to their shock. The final picture depicted Cranky with a full head of hair, smiling brightly. Rarity couldn’t help but giggle over some of these photos.

“My, it certainly seems you’ve had quite an exciting day little sister,” Rarity smiled.

“Sure did!” Sweetie Belle smiled. “So, what did you do today?”

“Oh, nothing that exciting, just working here at the Boutique all day. Cutting patterns, swewing, making new designs come to life, you know… The usual.”

Sweetie Belle smiled with a nod, but though she seemed happy Rarity had a busy day, deep down that wasn’t her true thoughts. Secretly, Sweetie Belle wondered how Rarity could spend all her time inside the shop… Running it by herself, especially. Of course, Rarity still met up with her friends on occasion, but the rest of the time… Sweetie Belle couldn’t deny her sister shuts herself away, buried in her work. Now Sweetie Belle would never actually say that to her older sister, instead she just smiled and accepted… At least for now.

“Alright now, young sister,” Rarity said. “Time to wash up for bed.”

“Aww, come on Rarity!” Sweetie Belle pleaded. “Can’t we stay up a little later? We can do makeovers, braid each other manes, have a snack…”

“Oh, no, no, no, absolutely not. As fun as that sounds, mother and father entrusted me to watch over you this weekend while they are in Phillydelphia. One of the big rules they gave me was making sure you’re not up past your bedtime.”

“Ah, pleeeeeeassse big sister?”

Sweetie Belle tried a different tactic, putting on her biggest, saddest puppy-dog eyes she cold muster. Rarity looked into the little filly’s huge eyes, noticing her lower lip trembling. For a moment, it seemed she would actually give into her little sister’s cute begging. That is, until she cracked a smile.

“Nice try, Sweetie Belle. But that won’t work on me like it does with father.”

Sweetie Belle dropped the cute puppy eyes, replacing it with a tiny frown. She sighed as she slowly trots to the back of the store, climbing upstairs to the living space above the shop. Rarity shook her head, giggling to herself as she put away the rest of her materials. Once that was done, she too made her way upstairs to her humble abode. Sweetie Belle had just finished washing up and trotted into her room just down the hall from Rarity’s. Rarity followed her in just as Sweetie Belle hopped into bed. Using her magic, Rarity pulled the covers over her baby sister, as she snuggled into her pillow with a big smile.

“Goodnight Rarity,” Sweetie sighed, peacefully.

Rarity smiled brightly, as she leans in and plants a big kiss along Sweetie Belle’s forehead, careful to avoid her sister’s horn.

“Goodnight Sweetie Belle,” Rarity responded.

Sweetie Belle shut her eyes, slipping slowly into Luna’s dream realm, as Rarity doused the candle on her bedside table and shut the door as she left. She trots down the hall to her own room. When she walked inside, she was immediately greeted by her pet cat, Opalescence… ‘Opal’ for short. The little cat hissed as her mistress entered, seeing as how their relationship is kind of… Complicated. Rarity just smiled at her pet.

“Oh, how’s my little Opal today?” She said, in a baby voice.

The cat in question just reached out a claw and gave a quick swipe. A bit of Rarity’s silky purple mane fell off where the claw swiped, as Rarity’s eyes went wide. She slowly backed away from the cat, as it had a devilish look on her face.

“Well… I see you’re clearly in no mood to talk. Perhaps tomorrow.”

She quickly made her way to the giant window in her room, which overlooked practically all of Ponyville. As she gazed over the small town, which she called home, she smiled happily. She truly was blessed for everything she has in her life. Amazing friends, the best little sister a pony could ask for, and a thriving, flourishing fashion business she was so passionate about. One would think that with all this in her life, the lovely Rarity was the happiest mare in all Equestria.

“So, why am I not happy?” Rarity asked, herself. “Why does it feel as if something’s missing in my life? That out there, somewhere, there’s that certain something a part of my heart and soul can’t possibly live without! I mean I do have practically ‘everything’… So, how could I be sad?”

These thoughts raced through her head, as she stared longingly out the window. Suddenly, she felt something wet along her face and she reached up with one hoof to investigate. Pulling her hoof back from her face, a single droplet stood on her hooves… A teardrop. This seemed to surprise her that she would cry without even noticing it first. But soon, more tears continued to fall down her face as she tried to wipe them away. Why was this happening to her?

Rarity tried to push these thoughts from her mind, but they never seemed to leave. It most upset her because she never even knew what the problem was or why it would make her unhappy.

“Perhaps a good night’s sleep will help me think,” Rarity thought. “I have been extraordinarily busy. Nothing a good eight hours won’t hurt.”

Rarity slowly climbed into bed, pulling the sheets over herself with her magic. She snuffed out the candle on her bedside table, laying her head along the pillow. For the longest time, she laid there, staring straight up at the ceiling. Her restless mind wandering as these thoughts would plague her mind all through the night.

<>

Celestia’s sun rose high in the air, the rays of light shone along the town of Ponyville. A pair of soft indigo eyes slowly open, trying to adjust to the blinding lights entering the room. Princess Twilight Sparkle sat up in bed, stretching her tired limbs with a big yawn. She slowly emerged from bed, trotting her way to her vanity mirror in the corner. Using her magic, she used her hairbrush to brush her mane and tail.

Once she finished adjusting her appearance, she turned to the foot of the bed where her number one dragon assistant, Spike, snored loudly. She giggles to herself as the little dragon clutched a little teddy bear in his claws, drooling as he snored. She trots quietly toward him, lightly patting his tiny scaly head.

“Time to wake up Spike,” She whispered. “Time to start the day!”

Spike turned over in bed, facing away from the Princess. Getting a mischievous idea, Twilight smirked and walked away from the baby dragon. Spike continued to snore loudly, until he was suddenly doused by cold water. His eyes quickly snap open, jumping out of bed, sopping wet. He turned his wide eyes toward Twilight, an empty, dripping bucket in her magic aura.

“Good morning, my number one assistant,” Twilight smiled.

“WHAT THE HAY, TWILIGHT?!?!” Spike yelled.

“Hey, sometimes you just ask for it… Especially in the morning.”

Spike growled, shaking himself dry. Twilight dropped the bucket from her grip, trotting out the room to allow Spike the chance to get ready and vent his frustrations. In the meantime, Twilight made her way to the castle’s kitchen and proceeds to make herself some toast and jam with a glass of juice for breakfast. Not long after, Spike trudged into the kitchen, slightly wet, a frown on his face.

“That wasn’t very nice, you know?” Spike grumbled.

“Perhaps not,” Twilight chuckled. “But you have to admit, it was pretty funny.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah… Yuk it up.”

Spike rolled his eyes, as he sat beside Twilight and proceeds to eat his own breakfast. Once they finished and their dishes were put away to be washed, they leave the kitchen and into the grand hall.

“So, what’s on the agenda for today?” Spike asked.

“Actually, not much for once,” Twilight answered. “I figured we meet up with the others and get together for lunch.”

“Sounds like a plan to me.”

“I know, right? These last few months have been crazy, what with these adventures as of late. I think it’s nice if we can just do things together that don’t involve the fate of the world on the line or solving a friendship problem…”

“And the recurring monster attacks?”

“Yes, Spike… The monster attacks… Lots of monsters.”

“Oh, speaking of, you find any information on Chrysalis, Tirek, and/or Cozy Glow yet?”

“Not just yet. But I think I might be getting close to an important lead. Whatever they’re planning for those other worlds, we’ll catch them in the act. But for now, let’s just have some fun.”

<>

Later that day, lunchtime around the corner, Twilight and Spike walked into town square to meet with their friends. They saw Rainbow Dash soaring around the sky, showing off her latest moves. Applejack and Fluttershy simply watched from the safety of the ground.

“Alrighty Dash, we’ve seen ya doin’ this fur the last twenty minutes!” Applejack shouts. “Ya’ll can come down at any time now!”

“No way A.J., I’ve only got two weeks till the next Wonderbolts performance!” Rainbow yelled back. “I wanna make sure my technique is perfect!”

“I can’t believe Spitfire is going to retire from her position as leader of the Wonderbolts,” Fluttershy commented.

“Ah know,” Applejack shook her head. “Lately, it’s all Rainbow’s been talkin’ bout. She wants tah be leader so bad, but she’s drivin’ us all crazy showin’ off.”

Twilight approached her friends, sitting at the table as Rainbow came down from the sky.

“Wassup Twi?” Rainbow greeted.

“Howdy there, Twilight,” Applejack also greeted.

“Hey guys, how are you all doing?” Twilight asked.

“Totally awesome!” Rainbow exclaimed, loudly. “I am totally gonna nail that performance. Soon enough, Spitfire is gonna make me the official new leader of the Wonderbolts!”

Rainbow zoomed up into the sky once again, performing flips throughout the air. Twilight turned toward Applejack for an explanation, but she just shook her head.

“Best not tak ask, sugar cube.”

Twilight looked around the table, noticing there were still two empty seats yet to be filled.

“Where’s Rarity and Pinkie?” Twilight asked.

“Oh, well Rarity will be here in a few minutes,” Fluttershy answered. “Pinkie said she’d stop by after her date with Cheese.”

This made complete sense to Twilight. Ever since their last adventure, since Cheese Sandwich and Pinkie Pie finally confessed their love to one another, it was extremely hard to find a moment the two weren’t together. They’ve been on all kinds of dates together and whenever they were out in public, they would always be holding hooves and kissing constantly. Rarity, on the other hoof…

“Good afternoon, every pony!”

They all turned as Rarity approaches them, wearing sunglasses and a sun hat.

“Hi Rarity!” Twilight greeted. “Glad you could make it.”

“But of course, darling,” Rarity smiled. “I wouldn’t miss out on the chance to spend quality time with my best friends.”

Spike, sitting beside Twilight, stared at Rarity with those heart eyes. Every pony in Ponyville, young and old, basically knew about the little dragon’s incurable crush on the fashionista and for the most part they thought it was cute. Of course, they ‘also’ knew Rarity only saw Spike more as the little brother she never had and that’s how she wanted it to say. But nevertheless, that never stopped the little dragon from admiring the most beautiful unicorn in all of Ponyville… No, in all of ‘Equestria’.

You’re really milking it this time, you know that?

Duh… That’s why I wrote it.

“Say, will Pinkie Pie be joining us soon?” Rarity asked.

“She should be,” Applejack responded. “Ah mean, she did say her date with Cheese Sandwich shouldn’t take that much longer.”

“HIYA, EVERYPONY!”

They all look down the road, as Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich strolled lovingly towards them. As always, they were as close as two peas in a pod. Pinkie nuzzling into Cheese’s neck, while Cheese planted a kiss on Pinkie’s head.

“I love you my little Pinkie-Winkie!” Cheese said, cutely.

“I love you too, Cheesy-Wheezy!” Pinkie replied, smooching his cheek.

Rainbow, who came down from the sky, gagged at the mushy gushy love display between the two ponies and turned away. Fluttershy and Twilight both eye the two ponies with bright smiles, as if this were the cutest display in the world. Applejack just gave a tiny smirk, with a friendly nod of approval. As for Rarity, she felt that same feeling that she developed from the night before. Her eyes start to water again, which she desperately tried to hide with her sun hat. Cheese gave Pinkie one more kiss, before heading off in the opposite direction. Pinkie sat at the table, sighing dreamily as Cheese clicked his hind hooves and whistled a merry tune.

“I tell you guys, love is the greatest invention since red velvet chocolate chip pancakes,” Pinkie sighed, happily.

“Well ah’d assume so, seein’ as ya’ll both been together every second of every day,” Applejack chuckled.

Pinkie blushed brightly, a huge giddy smile forms as one of her hooves thumps on the ground as rapidly as a bunny rabbit.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t just help it. Cheesy’s the best special some-pony a girl could ever ask for. I mean sure I’ve never had a special somepony up until a few months ago, so I can’t compare him to any other stallion I know… And I know ‘every’ pony. Either way, I just think he’s the perfect stallion. I can already see a great future for us: We’ll get married, our families at the altar, then we’ll have lots and lots of little foals…”

As Pinkie rambled on over how perfect her relationship with Cheese was, the thoughts itching in Rarity’s head grew steadily worse. She started to wonder if she herself would ever find that one special stallion for her, but she started recalling some uncouth memories and… Eventually, it was all too much to bare.

“I’m sorry girls, I have to go,” She said, quickly.

Before the others could react, Rarity jumped from the table and quickly galloped down the street for home. The other girls and Spike stared after her, confused by what just happened.

“Okay… That was weird,” Rainbow commented. “Even for Rarity.”

“I do hope she’s alright,” Fluttershy whispered.

“Wut’s gotten her so upset all of a sudden?” Applejack wondered.

“I have no idea,” Twilight shook her head. “But as her friends, we should find out.”

The other girls and Spike nod their heads, standing up from the table. They began to walk off after Rarity back to Carousel Boutique, all the while wondering what was going through their friend’s head.

<>

Soon enough, the girls (And Spike) made it to the boutique. In the lead, Twilight walked up and knocked on the door.

“Rarity, are you in there?” She asked.

But no reply came for them, as they turn to each other with worry. Normally whenever they knock at her door, Rarity would always answer… But today wasn’t the day. Nevertheless, Twilight knocked again.

“Rarity, please just open up. Whatever’s going on, you know you can talk to us.”

Once again, no reply was forthcoming. Twilight reached out, opened the door, and invited herself into the shop. Though the shop’s doors were open, all the lights were turned off and the entire boutique was completely pitch-black, apart from some light through the window. They slowly walk inside, careful not to bump into anything in the utter darkness. They could hear the sound of hoof-steps coming their direction, turning in hopes to see Rarity. But instead, to their surprise, they saw ‘not’ their best friend but rather her little sister, Sweetie Belle.

“Oh, hey Sweetie Belle,” Rainbow greeted. “You see Rarity around?”

“Yes, she’s upstairs in her room,” Sweetie Belle answered. “I don’t know why, but for some reason she ran in bursting in tears and locked herself in her room without a word!”

Every pony was completely confused, seeing as how that was completely out of character even for Rarity. True, she tends to overact at times, a bit of a Drama Queen they won’t deny, but never had she just stormed off crying unless something happened.

“Thank yah kindly there, Sweetie Belle,” Applejack thanked her. “Why dontcha head on over tah the farm and play with Apple Bloom and Scootaloo.”

Sweetie Belle nods, walking past them out the front door. The entire group walked up the back stairs to the house; soon enough, they were outside Rarity’s room. They all lean in, hearing weeping and sobbing from the other side. Twilight once more knocks on the door.

“Rarity, please talk to us. We just want to make sure you’re alright.”

The doorknob, encased in a blue magic aura, slowly turns as the door opens. The group walked inside the room, which was also completely dark. The only light, again, could be seen coming through the bedroom window. They turned to the side and saw Rarity, dressed in her bathrobe, bawling her eyes out. She sobbed so badly, her face was stained with smeared mascara and there were tissues strewn everywhere.

“Please close the door behind you,” Rarity begged, mid-sob. “I don’t wish for Sweetie Belle to see me in such a state.”

“Well, yah ain’t gotta worry about that,” Applejack assured. “Seein’ as she just left fur Sweet Apple Acres just now.”

The group walked over to Rarity’s bed, sitting along the edge.

“Rarity, what’s wrong?” Fluttershy asked, concerned.

“Yeah, you look worse than that time you lost your mane!” Rainbow said.

Rarity managed to stop sobbing momentarily to look at her friends. Her eyes were bloodshot and glassy from crying.

“I’m so sorry for running away, girls. I don’t know what’s possibly come over me.”

Twilight placed a hoof on Rarity’s shoulder, comfortingly.

“Rarity, there’s clearly something that’s really bothering you. You can tell us whatever it is because we’re your friends. We won’t judge you for anything, we promise.”

“Oh no, Twilight. I don’t wish to bother any of you with my personal affairs.”

“You never bother us with your problems, Rarity. We’ve been here for every problem you’ve ever had. Any problems you have, we will be here for you.”

“Yeah!” The others said, simultaneously.

Rarity blew her nose in a fresh tissue, discarding it with the others before she sat up and wiped her eyes. She took a moment to compose herself before she decided to explain.

“Well, you see, yesterday and all throughout last night, I’ve been plagued by these thoughts in my head. I can’t possibly understand what they meant until today. I always thought I had everything I could ever want, yet I’m still unhappy. It was only after seeing both Pinkie and Cheese so happy today I realized what it was.”

Rarity stood up from her bed, trudging toward the window which overlooked Ponyville. She closed her eyes, as one final tear fell from her eye.

“I wish… I wish I had a special somepony to call my own,” Rarity sobbed.

The rest of the group turn toward their somber friend; it broke their tender hearts. Seeing their friend, so sad and so upset, it made them feel just the same. Twilight trots toward Rarity, wrapping her in a hug.

“Oh Rarity, I’m sorry to hear that,” Twilight said. “It just kills me seeing you like this.”

Rarity leaned into the embrace, releasing more sobs. The rest of her friends came over as well, giving their friend a comforting group hug. For the longest while, they stood in their embrace as Rarity cried. After a while, Rarity felt like enough was enough and composed herself.

“Oh goodness, just look at me. Hear I am sobbing like a filly and over something so silly!”

“Now Rarity, it’s not silly to want a special somepony,” Fluttershy said.

“Yeah, I mean it’s one of the most magical things in Equestria!” Pinkie added. “Well, aside from cupcakes of course.”

She proceeds to pull a cupcake out of nowhere, stuffing it in her mouth. Every pony else just shook their heads.

“Come on, Rares, aside from Pinkie, the rest of us don’t have stallions either,” Rainbow points out. “And look at us, we turned out just fine.”

“It’s not about whether you have a stallion or not,” Rarity argued. “You all at least have that ‘one’ pony that had a crush on you. I only wish to know what that’s like or at least how it feels.”

“Well, maybe yah just need somethin’ to take yer mind off all this fur now,” Applejack suggested.

Rarity scoffed at the suggestion, even though she was grateful for it.

“Thanks for trying, Applejack,” Rarity sighed. “But sadly, I don’t know what could possibly help me forget.”

“Rarity, there has to be something you like that could take your mind off this,” Twilight said.

“How about the opera?” Fluttershy suggested.

“Oh yeah, you always said you love the opera,” Twilight agreed.

“Yes indeed, but I’ve practically seen every single opera Equestria has to offer,” Rarity shook her head. “At least ten times at the most.”

Ten… Times…

Sheesh, that’s the number of times I’ve seen ‘Zootopia’ while it was in theaters.

Twilight thought for a moment, trying to think of a remedy to this matter. But then, she remembered what Princess Celestia said following their previous return from one of their journeys. That sometimes the ‘biggest emergencies’ are when a friend needs their help.

“What if we saw an opera ‘not’ from Equestria?” Twilight suggested.

Every pony turned to Twilight, confused by what she meant. Then the more they thought about it, the wider their eyes grew once they realized ‘exactly’ what she referred to.

“Oh, I don’t know, Twilight dear,” Rarity said, nervously. “It just seems wrong using the television just to make me feel better.”

“Princess Celestia told me not all emergencies involve darkness and the fate of the world,” Twilight explained. “Sometimes, the biggest emergencies come from when a friend is in dire need, and quite frankly, Rarity, I think you need this more than anything.”

Rarity smiled at her lavender-coated friend, hugging her tightly once more. It was always good knowing she had friends willing to go above and beyond, even for her.

“Well alright, Twilight,” Rarity smiled. “If you believe this will truly help, I will go along with you.”

“Same here,” Applejack nodded.

“Count me in!” Pinkie saluted.

“And me!” Spike spoke up.

“Me too!” Fluttershy whispered

But the only pony who didn’t seem thrilled was Rainbow Dash, who groaned at the very idea.

“Oh, come on! Do we really have to go to an opera? Those things are so ‘boring’!”

“Yeah, and sittin’ and hearin’ you talk about the Wonderbolts all the time don’t get borin’?” Applejack shot back.

This caused Rainbow Dash to frown and huff. But she followed close behind as Twilight led the group out the Carousel Boutique and back to her castle library where the television sat. She punched in some information on the dials along the machine. Sure enough, the green vortex opened up.

“Alright, every pony!” Twilight said. “Here we go again!”

They all walked through the vortex, which soon closed behind them. And off they go, sallying forth on another adventure to Celestia only knows where.