• Published 18th May 2020
  • 6,195 Views, 608 Comments

Cinematic Adventures: The Phantom Of The Opera - extremeenigma02



The Mane Six and Spike are at it again as they travel to 19th century Paris to the Opera Populare that’ is supposedly haunted by the so called “Phantom of the Opera”

  • ...
12
 608
 6,195

The Performance

Disoriented and groggy was all that Rarity could feel as she slowly started to regain consciousness. The back of her head hurt immensely from where it had crashed onto the stage floor when she passed out. Her eyes spun around in her head as her friends slowly helped her sit back up.

“Take it easy Rarity” Twilight said.

“One step at a time there Sugarcube” Applejack added.

“Oh I do hope she didn’t receive any brain damage from her head hitting the stage” Fluttershy said worriedly.

“Nah she’ll be fine, not like it’s the first time she’s ever fainted and hit the floor” Rainbow said.

Rarity shook her head rapidly to somehow get the sense back into her head and when she was fully back on earth, she looked around to see everyone, including the cast members looking at her.

“Oh dear me, I had hoped that what I just heard was merely a dream” she shook her head.

Madame Giry walked up to the group and knelt down beside the unicorn.

“I am afraid not my dear. The Opera Ghost has apparently taken a liking to your impeccable singing and wished for you to sing a ballad to introduce tonight’s opera”

The rest of the ponies and Spike all helped Rarity stand back on her hooves as she stated to panic.

“No, no, no, no, I cannot possibly sing on stage in front of so many people” she said terrified.

“I concur with the unicorn” Monsieur Andre agreed. “This opera house is meant to be the pinnacle of class and sophistication in all of Paris. We cannot possibly lower ourself to allow common livestock in here”

“Watch it there buddy” Rainbow growled at him.

“Besides don’t we need horses for Elissa’s aria in Act Three?” Meg asked.

Andre just completely ignored her as he put his head in his hands. Here were all these superstitious cast members taking orders from a figment of their imagination. Now this figment wants a talking unicorn to sing to open tonight’s show. Just what kind of business did they procure, a mad house? Firmin, however, seemed to ponder the idea.

“Actually Andre, this could be quite good for business” he said.

“Have you lost your mind Firmin? How could this possibly be good for business?”

Firmin pulled Andre off to the side so as not to be disturbed in this little private meeting between the owners. Firmin leaned in to whisper in his partners ear.

“Don’t you see Andre, an entire group of talking ponies quite literally just fell right into our hands. That sort of thing alone will have all of the patrons talking. If we let them in the show, it will bring in folks from all corners of the world. We would be world famous before the months end”

Andre listened intently to his partners plan and he had to admit that it did seem rather genius. Those traveling fairs that often travel through the cities made quite the amount of francs from citizens wishing to get a glimpse of their mysterious sideshows. Now here they were with a literal gold mine in these ponies and the baby dragon. Having them in the show could very well set them up for early retirement.

Firmin and Andre both smiled and walked back over to the gathering.

“I must say that I have changed my mind forthwith.” Andre proclaimed. “I believe these little ponies will make a fine addition to the arts. I’m quite certain that we can find something for them to do”

This sparked a great deal of talk between the cast members and the stage hands. Meanwhile, the Mane Six and Spike just sat there in complete bewilderment.

“Now they want all of us to be a part of the show?” Twilight asked.

“Well you can count me out because I don’t do shows unless it’s Wonderbolt related” Rainbow shook her head.

“Oh no, ah don’t think so sugarcube” Applejack said to her. “If we’re all bein’ part ah this then so are y’all”

Rainbow just rolled her eyes and huffed to herself. Fluttershy seemed to be the most nervous at this new idea.

“P-P-Perform in f-front of s-so many p-people” she squeaked in fear.

Of course, Pinkie was the most excited over this as she pulled her Yovidophone from her mane and strapped it to herself.

“This is gonna be the most super fun, fantastic, splendiferous, amazing, time EVER! Now I can finally show people from other worlds my amazing Yovidophone skills”

The others looked horrified as Pinkie took in a deep breath and was about to start playing the accursed instrument. Twilight quickly used her magic to plug up the instrument with giant corks so when Pinkie blew into it, it made no sound. Pinkie looked at Twilight who just smiled awkwardly.

“I’m sorry Pinkie but I think this opera house is a ‘Yovidophone free’ zone” Twilight said.

“Ooooooohhhhh, well why didn’t you just say so silly” Pinkie laughed.

She took off the Yovidophone and placed it back into her mane. Every pony still wondered exactly how she was able to fit so much stuff into her mane but then they remembered, it’s Pinkie Pie. Rarity was still freaking out about having to perform on stage.

“I can’t do this girls, I just can’t do this. I can’t go out there before thousands and sing alone. That is precisely why Sweetie Belle has such stage fright and I suppose I am no better. Oh dear, I came here to try and calm my nerves and now they’ve just skyrocketed...”

Before her tangent could continue, she felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to see Christine smiling down at her. She couldn’t understand why, but for some reason she felt an instant calmness radiate throughout her being.

“You inspired me to sing Rarity, now I believe it to be my turn to inspire you” Christine smiled.

“Oh Christie, that is quite sweet of you darling but I don't know how I could be inspired at this moment” Rarity sighed.

“Would you like to hear about how I was inspired to sing?”

Christine knelt down beside her new friend and gestured for the others to come and join them. They all came and sat alongside her as she began to explain.

“Well you see, when I was a child, my father Gustave was an amazing violinist and my mother was a very accomplished singer. Growing up with two famous artists as my parents, naturally I was drawn to the arts myself. Everyday I would hear my father playing sweet music and my mother singing fantastic arias, and it was because of them that I decided to become an artist.”

The girls and Spike all listened to Christines story very closely and with such intrigue.

“When my mother passed away when I was a mere three years of age, my father and I were both devastated. It crushed my fathers heart and his musical ability and he eventually stopped playing the violin altogether. I, however, decided to continue singing more and more so that way it felt like a part of mother was still with us. Then as the years continued on, I watched as my father slowly fell into a horrible state of depression. Of course he put on a good face for me, but I could always see it in his eyes that he was dead. Four years after mother had passed, my father too had left me and that is how I ended up living here at the Opera Populare”

After hearing thsi part of the story, the group couldn’t help as a few tears were shed. Poor Christine had lost both of her parents at such a young age and that is something that no child should ever have to experience. Christine herself was also shedding a few tears that she quickly wiped away.

“Oh you poor dear, that sounds just awful” Rarity sobbed.

“We are all so sorry for your loss” Twilight added.

“Yeah, ah know what it’s like to lose both yur parents so young and it hurts more than any pain y’all could ever feel” Applejack said, letting a lone tear fall.

Christine smiled and hugged her new friends tightly as she thanked them for their kindness.

“So how did you manage to get inspired after all of that?” Spike asked.

“Well you see, my father always told me every since I was young that his inspiration had always been the Angel Of Music. He told me that if I should ever have doubts about myself or my singing that all I need do was call upon the Angel Of Music and he will always guide me. So when I first arrived here, I prayed that this strange angel be my guiding light in this darkness. Ever since that day, I have been hearing the Angle Of Music in my head, guiding me and teaching me the ways of the opera”

Once again, every pony was entranced by the story and how odd yet wonderful it sounded. Then Christine places her hand on Rarity’s shoulder again and looked straight into her eyes.

“If at any times you ever feel those thoughts of doubt in your mind Rarity, just call upon the Angel Of Music and he shall aid you” she said comfortingly.

All at once, Rarity could feel the presence of another individual with her. She couldn’t place who or what it was, but she could feel a sudden surge of energy in her. A powerful force that seemed to be driving her to sing. She looked at Christine and back at her friends and adorned a smile.

“Alright, I shall sing”

<>

Soon, as the night fell upon the Opera Populare, everyone was called to the stage to begin the performance. The entire theatre was full, and everyone could only hope that the show went on without a hitch. From behind the curtain, Rarity looked out and noticed the giant performance hall compelled filled with fancy dressed humans. She herself was wearing a dress that she had designed herself that looked like the night sky. There was a mixture of blues light and dark that sparkles with miniature diamonds that looked like the stars.

She stood backstage looking out at the audience with fear and trepidation before looking back at her friends.

“I know I felt like I could do this before but now...I don’t know” she shook her head.

“Rarity, if there’s anypony I know that can go out there and completely blow people away with amazing singing, it would be you” Twilight assured her.

“I don’t know Twilight. What if I freeze or even worse...what if my makeup is not right?”

All the rest of the group just giggled and shook their heads as Rarity was once again knit picking over the little things. It was at that moment that Christine walked up to them all wearing her attire for the performance. She knelt down and smiled at them all.

“Are you ready for tonight Rarity?” She asked.

“Oh Christine, I really wish I could calm my nerves about this but I...”

Her sentence was cut off when Christine place her hand over her muzzle to silence her. Rarity looked into the girls soft brown eyes as she began to talk.

“Just trust in the Angel Of Music and he will see you through this”

With that, Christine took her hand away from Rarity’s muzzle and walked off to prepare for her big performance. A stage hand walked up to the group.

“Miss Rarity, it’s time”

“Good luck Rarity” Twilight said.

“We’ll be watching” Spike smiled.

“Break a hoof out there” Rainbow joked.

They all proceeded further backstage to stand with Madame Giry and Meg. Rarity once again started to panic a bit but she remembered what Christine had told her. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and focused solely on this Angel of Music. When she opened her eyes and looked out at the audience, she looked up to Box Five and her eyes widened. There stood a shadowy figure looking out upon the stage. Normally seeing a shadowy figure like this would make her nervous and frightened, and yet all she could fell was calm and safe. Was this the Angel Of Music?

Monsieur’s Firmin and Andre walked out on stage as the audience applauded.

“Thank you ladies and gentlemen for joining us here tonight for our production of Hannibal by Chalemeau” Firmin addressed.

“Before we begin tonight’s production, we would like to open the show with a little performance” Andre added.

“You won’t believe your eyes when you see this amazing ballad being performed tonight by an unexpected but very special guest”

“And so ladies and gentlemen, please give a large round of applause for tonight’s opening act”

“The lovely...”

“The talented...”

“Miss Rarity” they both proclaimed.

The crowd applauded loudly as the giant curtain slowly rose from the floor until only Rarity stood on the stage with the stage lights shining down directly on her. The crowds applause soon died down and was soon replaced by murmurs of uncertainty. Many thought this had to be a joke that a little white pony was standing on stage. Rarity just breathed deeply as Monsieur Reye took his place over the orchestra pit and began to conduct.

Then...she sang.

https://m.

As she sang, tears started to spring to her eyes because of how much emotion she was putting into this song. Also there was the joy and jubilance of performing in front of such a crowd like the elite pony she always wanted to be. Not only her, but many others were shedding tears as well at the beautiful song, even her friends. After her performance was over and done, she stood there with tears flowing down her face as she looked out amongst the crowd. There was nothing but silence for a while but then the crowd erupted into cheers and applause at such a wonderful show. Rarity smiled brightly and bowed tot he crowd before slowly making her way backstage. Her friends all ran up to her and engulfed her in a huge hug.

“That...Was...Amazing!” Twilight professed loudly.

“You are a natural on stage Rarity” Fluttershy cried.

“Yeah there’s not a lot of things that make me cry but that performance was just so beautiful” Spike said.

“Thank you all so much” Rarity cried in joy.

They all embraced once again as Christine walked up to them once more. She knelt down as they all looked at her and she looked at Rarity with a smile.

“I knew you could do it and hat is why I never gave up on you” Christine said.

Rarity threw her arms around Christine as well and the two hugged for a good few moments.

“Thank you for believing in me Christine”

“You are most welcome”

The show continued on for quite some time after that amazing performance to start them off. Towards the end of the show, Christine began to sing Think of Me again.

https://m.

(Skip to 0:40)

All chorus members and stagehands watched the young soprano with interest and shock. Christine sang the song flawlessly, and she looked beautiful. Her hair sparkled with crystal hair decorations in the shape of flowers, and she wore a beautiful white ball gown with a puffed out skirt. Rarity had helped her create the dress before the show rather than letting the seamstresses do it. She felt that the young girl really needed to shine like the star that she was and her outfit needed to match.

She continued to sing, standing alone, center stage.

The Mane Six, Spike, Meg, and Madame Giry stood backstage, watching. The ponies felt proud and happy for their friend. They knew it was a fact that Christine was amazing. But, glancing up towards Box Five, they noticed Raoul sitting there. Madame Giry disappeared backstage, leaving Meg and the ponies to watch. Down below the orchestra pit, past the leaky floors of the basement in the practically abandoned vaults of the opera house, the same shadowy figure from before slowly walked the passages, listening to the song with pride.

The audience began to clap, all smiling and whispering to others, impressed at the new singer on the stage before them. From up in Box Five, Raoul watched the young singer closely. He stood, smiling as he remembered his childhood friend. He clapped for her saying, " Bravo!" He quickly turned, leaving Box Five.
Raoul started running down the stairs, passing a now hidden Madame Giry. He was smiling as all the memories rushed back to him. Raoul was ready to once again speak with her, after all those years of missing her. Christine smiled as she began to vocalize, André and Firmin watching with anticipation. She went to a few lower notes before flying up to the highest note of the song, a high B, and finished the song

As she finished the entire audience erupted into applause, and she gave a deep curtsy. They all gave a standing ovation and tossed roses onto the stage at her feet, as she smiled and curtsied again. She looked backstage, smiling at her friends, who were all smiling back, clapping with the rest of the cast.

"Brava! Magnifica! Stupenda!" André called from the box seat he and Firmin were sitting in.

Both were grinning at their great success. As Christine exited the stage, head swimming with excitement, Carlotta sat outside in her carriage, waiting nervously. Piangi sat beside her and they both looked over at the woman who attended the show to tell them if it had been a success. The woman gave a sheepish smile with a shrug. Carlotta bit her knuckle, her eyes rolled back and she fainted, falling into Piangi's lap.

Backstage, the whole cast was celebrating a show well performed. To say the least, members of the audience were waiting to congratulate Christine, but it was apparent that she was not currently backstage. This caused her pony friends to wonder where the young singer had gone. They spotted Meg walking off and decided to ask her so they quickly galloped after her.

“Hey Meg!” Twilight yelled out.

The young ballet girl turned to see the ponies all running towards her.

“Oh hello to you all.” She greeted warmly. “I never got the chance to tell you this before but it is very nice to meet you. Also I must say congratulations to you Miss Rarity”

Rarity blushed a bit at the nice compliment.

“Well thank you very much darling” she thanked.

“Anyway, do y’all know where Christine is by chance?” Applejack asked.

“We wanted to congratulate her on her performance” Fluttershy said.

“I knew exactly where she’s gone just follow me” Meg answered.

So the Mane Six and Spike followed the ballet girl throughout the opera house to try and find Christine. They were completely unaware of the figure in black watching them from the rafters above.