• Published 18th May 2020
  • 6,195 Views, 608 Comments

Cinematic Adventures: The Phantom Of The Opera - extremeenigma02



The Mane Six and Spike are at it again as they travel to 19th century Paris to the Opera Populare that’ is supposedly haunted by the so called “Phantom of the Opera”

  • ...
12
 608
 6,195

All I Ask Of You

Through the Opera Populaire, panic and chaos ran rampant, and all the while Christine led Raoul up a set of winding stairs. Her hair flew, her movements so desperate, but she knew they neded to get as far away from this disaster as possible. They still could not believe what they witnessed: The Phantom of the Opera actually killed Joseph Buquet in cold blood, hanging his carcass over the rafters for the entire audience to witness.

As the two ran, the Mane Six and Spike ran close behind desperately trying to catch up.

“This has officially been the worst opera I ever attended,” Rarity declared.

“Why?” Pinkie asked, smiling. “I thought it was pretty well-performed by the whole cast.”

Every pony, even Christine and Raoul, all looked at her wondering how this pony could truly be so oblivious by what just happened… Seconds ago.

“Gee, I don’t know Pinkie,” Rainbow replied, sarcastically. “Not like some psychotic man in a mask attacked our friend and just killed someone!”

“Oh no, I’m afraid there’s been a mistake!” Fluttershy corrected. “The Phantom didn’t hurt me; Joseph Buquet did!”

“Regardless, he just done killed a man!” Applejack spoke.

“Girls, perhaps this conversation is best discussed when we’re out of danger,” Twilight suggested.

Everyone in the group nodded, continuing to run to higher ground. Eventually, they reached the roof of the opera house, into the freezing cold winter snow. Spike shivered uncontrollably from the cold air, even though the fire in his belly would keep him warm. Still, as the cold air blew all around them, Spike practically hugged his arms around himself for extra comfort.

“R-R-Really w-wish I h-had a j-j-jacket right now,” Spike shivered, chattering his teeth.

Twilight used her magic to conjure them all some winter garbs, which they gladly put on. Once properly dressed for the winter weather, they sighed in relief.

“Ahh… That’s better,” Spike sighed, happily.

“Yeah, ah never expected it tah be this bad out,” Applejack said.

“Rainbow, could you possibly do something about this weather?” Pinkie asked.

“It’s not like it’s snowing randomly here, Pinkie,” Rainbow answered. “It’s the middle of winter, not like we get in Equestria. Even if I do manage to clear away the clouds, they’ll just come back.”

As they talked amongst each, Raoul tried his best to comfort a very shaky, very scared Christine, who was desperately searching around.

Raoul tried to convince Christine the Phantom she spoke of was all just a figment of her imagination, as the snow fell upon his face and hair. Now was the time for the ponies and the little dragon to interject their opinions on that matter.

“Yes Raoul, it’s true,” Twilight told him. “We’ve all seen him.”

Raoul merely scoffed, brushing off her statement entirely.

“You must have all been dreaming,” He dejected. “Or simply hallucinating—”

“Dude! It’s completely true!” Rainbow said, backing Twilight up.

“Yeah, he lives under this here Opera House,” Applejack explained. “These three odd-lookin’ folks led us down a long passageway sittin’ behind the mirror in Christine’s dressin’ room.”

Hearing her say this, Raoul couldn’t help but laugh. That had to be one of the most far-fetched, funniest things he ever heard. Three odd figures, leading them through a mirror, and down a secret passageway to the masked maniac’s lair. It was unheard of, absurd.

“You can’t possibly believe that,” Raoul said.

“Rarity was there with Christine,” Twilight said, turning to her. “Ask her yourself, she can tell you.”

In that moment, every pony and everyone else turned toward the fashionista. Her eyes widened at all the attention suddenly onto her, and not the kind she most enjoyed.

“Rarity, can’t you please tell him it’s all true?”

Rarity looked between her friends, then Christine and eventually Raoul. She just stood there, contemplating her next move. On one hand, she was completely terrified and disgusted that Erik would do something like this. The man she met down in that cave, so kind and gentle towards her, only to discover just what he is capable of. Then again, she gave her word to never reveal his secret to anyone, not for any reason. And as any pony knows, Rarity is a lady of her word. Not to mention, she was still rather annoyed with her friends, if not disappointed. She figured it be best to keep the information to herself and confront Erik about it later, herself.

“My apologies, but I know absolutely nothing about what you are all speaking of,” Rarity finally said.

“You can’t be serious!” Rainbow shook her head.

“I AM serious, Rainbow Dash!” Rarity shot back. “I’ve never been more serious in all my life.”

“Rarity, we know yah made a promise to him,” Applejack argued. “We know he asked ya not tah tell his secret. But he done just did a man in; he has tah be held accountable!”

But Rarity just turned her head to all of them, before turning away just as quickly. When she did, she thought she caught a glimpse of a black figure hiding behind one of the statues on the roof. Look closer, she noticed that the figure was indeed Erik. He lifted a finger to his lips, signaling her not to say a word.

While all this went on, Christine’s face turned terrified as she approached Raoul, clutching a red rose with a black ribbon tied around its stem. Christine stared upon the rose in her hands, at its delicate petals and sharp thorns.

As Christine sang, walking away from Raoul, her back to him, she faced the opposite end of the roof. Christine sang softly, not knowing the Phantom himself was hidden behind the massive statue before her.

The Phantom sang, so faintly, like a ghost whispering into Christine’s ear. She looked around, shocked to hear his voice. Her breathing picked up, fearing what may happen. Then, she felt Raoul’s warm hands upon her shoulders, his head resting against hers. He took her hand, leading her back to the center of the roof. She slowly let the rose slip from her hand, falling onto the snowy, icy ground. The ponies and Spike all came to her side as well.

“Christine, are you alright?” Fluttershy asked, worriedly.

“Is he here?” Spike asked. “Right now?”

“Well, if he is, I’ll knock his block off!” Rainbow growled, prepped to fight. “After what he did to you, to Rarity, and everything he did tonight. Just let the scary man makes his move, I’m gonna nail him!”

Christine gave a small giggle, but immediately went back to her heavy breathing, drawn by sheer terror. Raoul couldn’t bear to see his beautiful friend so hysterical. He lifts her chin, to look her straight in the eyes, and did the one thing he believed would calm her… Sing.

https://m.

Raoul gently placed a hand onto her cheek, letting his thumb pass over her cheekbone wiping away a stray tear.

Warmth seemed to spread throughout Christine’s entire being, as Raoul serenaded to her, holding her hands to comfort her. She smiled toward him, feeling safe in his presence.

When those words greeted the Phantom’s ears, he felt betrayed… Destroyed… Broken. He could hardly believe it: Christine loved ‘that’ man? He felt as if his whole world, having been momentarily warm for what seemed like a moment, turned cold as the icy stone of the statue he was braced against.

Raoul hugged her, holding her close to him, his arms around her protectively.

As Raoul stepped back, he held her hands bringing her further towards the center of the roof. Snow continued to fall, catching in their hair and on their clothes, as they leave a trail of footprints in the snow.

The Phantom didn’t know why he kept listening. His chest began to ache with pain, from the sincerity of Christine’s words. His heart slowly began to break.

Raoul sang, as he stood behind her, holding her against his chest, his arms around her waist, and her hands along his own. The Phantom could hear the emotion in Raoul’s voice, as his heart shattered further. He began to realize how problematic this was— He was losing Christine; he was losing her. He turns his head, watching the couple, knowing he was being self-destructive.

Christine smiled, as she felt him press a kiss to her head. She pulled away to face him, staying close.

They sang together, their faces getting closer. Raoul placed a gentle hand on her cheek, the two leaning closer to each other till their lips touched… And they kissed. The ponies and Spike stared wide-eyed, huge smiles on their faces as they watched the two profess their love for one another. The Phantom’s shoulders hunched as he turned away, his heart shattered like glass thrown to the ground. He shut his eyes, trying not to look, but he was shaking. He felt absolutely… Betrayed.

Raoul lifted Christine up and twirled her around, the two grinning to each other. Christine’s pink skirt twirled around her, swaying as he set her back down for another kiss. The two pulled back after a long moment, their faces close together.

The two finish softly, kissing gently once more. Christine pulled away, looking up at Raoul. A collective squeal off the side caught their attention and they both turn to see Twilight, Fluttershy, and Pinkie squealing in delight like school fillies.

“Oh… My… Gosh, you two are so perfect for each other!” Pinkie babbled. “You’re just like me and Cheesy-Wheezy! Except your humans, not ponies, and your names are Christine and Raoul, and you didn’t fall in love after visiting a chocolate factory, but still…”

Pinkie’s rambling caused all in the group, Christine and Raoul included, to look at each other confused. Nonetheless, the girls and Spike were all very happy to see Christine & Raoul finally confess their love.

“I think what Pinkie means to say is,” Twilight spoke, smiling joyfully. “It’s about time you two finally told each other you were in love.”

“This truly is a beautiful moment,” Fluttershy smiled.

“Yes, it is,” Raoul nodded, smiling. “It might not have been possible had it not been for all of you.

“Nah, we didn’t really do anything,” Rainbow smirked, brushing it off.

“But you did,” Christine said. “If you all hadn’t convinced me to sing in the opera, Raoul might never have noticed me. We never would have found ourselves here and now in this moment.”

The girls and Spike smile brightly, walking toward their two friends, and embrace them in one big group huge. After a few moments, they all separated, as Christine realized it was time to return to the opera before everyone noticed she was missing.

They kiss once more, for a very brief moment. Christine grinned at him, as they rush to the door.

They both head through the door, as the rest of the group followed. The only one who didn’t have a desire to leave was Rarity. Twilight turned back, seeing her stand there looking over Paris from above the Opera House.

“Rarity, aren’t you coming?” She called.

“I just need some air, Twilight,” Rarity responded, simply. “It has been a rather long night.”

“I don’t feel comfortable leaving you all alone up here. Especially with the Phantom still on the loose—”

“I said I need a moment, Twilight!” Rarity snapped.

Twilight’s eyes widen in shock, that Rarity, of all her friends, would snap at her for simply caring about her safety. Even though she was still upset, Rarity noticed how her little outburst affected her friend as a heavy sigh escaped her lips.

“I’m sorry for my outburst, Twilight,” Rarity said, softly. “I just really need to be alone right now.”

Twilight released a sigh of her own, before eventually nodding.

“Alright, just come back in when you’re ready.”

Soon Twilight left the roof, shutting the door behind her. Rarity took a deep breath, before facing the large stone statue. Sure enough, Erik, the Phantom of the Opera, emerged from behind it. For a moment, the two could only look at each other in utter silence, as the cold wind swept through Rarity’s mane and made Erik’s cape sway.

“How could you do that?” Rarity whispered, breaking the silence.

“I can’t—”

“HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?!” Rarity screamed.

Erik was slightly taken aback by Rarity’s outburst, still he knew why she did it. He slowly approached her, kneeling beside her. But Rarity took a few steps back, out of caution, never taking her eyes off him.

“You don’t understand,” He simply replied.

“What could I possibly not understand?” Rarity asked. “When we first met, I saw you as a man of passion, an artistic genius. Yes, you were closed off and chose to hide behind these walls you put around you. But I was willing to see past all of that and I saw a man in need of kindness and compassion.”

Erik sighed to himself, as he faced the ground, with no desire to truly face the angry, hurt unicorn who at one pointed called him a friend.

“You asked me to keep your secret and I did,” Rarity continued. “But only because I thought you were a good, maybe even a good friend. Now I don’t know what to possibly think. You killed a man tonight and now his body lies dead on that stage!”

“He was a drunk and a monster!” Erik shot back.

“I admit Buquet is not the most pleasant fellow in the world, but nothing he could have possibly done is worth killing him—”

“He attacked your friend!” Erik yelled.

This seemed to blow Rarity back a bit, the moment said that. Rarity truly did not expect him to even say that, let alone be so upfront about it.

“What do you mean?” Rarity asked.

“I was watching the performance from above the stage,” The Phantom explained. “I noticed him grab hold of your yellow friend; I saw the fear and pain in her eyes. Knowing she was your friend, my blood began to boil and race, and I knew I could not let him go unpunished.”

As Erik explained his actions, Rarity started to rethink what she had seen in him throughout the entirety of the last twenty minutes. Erik didn’t kill the man simply because he could or even because he had wronged him. But he did it only because he was saving her good friend, Fluttershy.

“You truly saved Fluttershy from that man?” She asked, uncertain.

“You need simply to ask her yourself,” Erik answered. “To know if she had been attacked before I disposed of him.”

“Well, despite your good intentions, nothing calls for killing a man in cold blood as you did.”

“Would you rather I let him live? To let him do God knows what to your friend?”

“Absolutely not! But certainly, there must have been a better way to handle the situation.”

“With men like Joseph Buquet, there is no other way. No matter what you do, no matter what you tell them, they’ll never stop. It was up to me to put a stop to him once and for all.”

Rarity could not believe this man justified killing a man even to save one of her friends. Despite all his best intentions, it is still murder. Not even all of Equestria would forgive anyone for committing such a terrible act. All this made Rarity’s head hurt immensely, she knew she needed to get away from all this, at least for a while.

“Erik, I really need to leave,” Rarity told him. “I need to think this through.”

She began to walk quickly towards the exit, using her magic to pull the door open when a sound caught her attention. She turns back and saw Erik kneeling down in the snow, holding the rose Christine had discarded. What really pained her though was seeing Erik crying, clutching the rose like it was a life force. Despite how she felt about his actions, she did feel extremely dreadful for the mystery man.

Here Erik was, having just heard Christine and Raoul profess their love to one another, which was understandably heartbreaking for him. Now he must think he just lost his only friend he had ever known in the fashionista. Even Rarity couldn’t help the lone tear that streamed down her face. In a way, especially when it to heartbreak, she knew ‘exactly’ how he felt.

Ever so slowly, Rarity walked back toward the poor man until she stood right before him. He slowly looks up, as her eyes watched over him.

“For what’s it worth, I thank you for saving Fluttershy tonight.”

Rarity leans close and gave him a tender kiss on his unmasked cheek. She then quickly makes her way back to the door, pulls it open with her magic, and reenters the opera house. This left the Phantom kneeling in the snow on the roof, all alone in the cold. He slowly lifts his gloved hand up and touched the very spot on his cheek where Rarity kissed him.

The Phantom then turned back to the ground, where he found the rose at his feet. He stares at the flower in shock, his eyes stinging with tears as he suddenly thought back to Christine’s betrayal.

https://m.

(Skip to 0:30)

The Phantom sang softly to himself, the snow lands upon his black cloak and into his hair. Flakes of frozen water land upon the petals of the deep red rose. He couldn’t stop staring at it.

The Phantom choked back tears, as he held the rose to his face. Tears slowly rolled down his cheeks, pressing the rose against his mouth, feeling the soft petals becoming crushed. Only when his mind drifted back to Rarity’s kiss toward him did he feel somewhat at peace. His brain swirled with images of nothing but the beautiful unicorn. From the moment he first saw her, to her first performance, their initial meeting, and that one moment where they sat hoof in hand. For just this one moment, he actually felt… Happy.

All of a sudden, he heard Christine and Raoul sing inside his mind, as his thoughts drift back to her betrayal. He let the rose slip into his gloved hand, as his breathing picked up in a rage. His eyes focused off in the distance, as he crushed and destroyed the soft red petals. The shredded petals landed on the white snow, till the bare stem joined the shreds as the Phantom dropped it. He soon rushed to a statue on the corner of the roof, climbing along the back, till he stood between the wings.

The Phantom sang in an absolute rage, the last note belted out for what felt like an eternity. Snow fell in flurries around him, as the cold air cruelly bit his face. He stared at the black sky, trying to catch his breath. After holding the note out, he slid back down onto the roof, hearing the orchestra begin to play the music from the opera.

The Phantom felt destroyed, as the truth became crystal clear. Christine didn’t love him; she loved that man named Raoul. He felt rejected and positively broken. A thought crossed his mind, as he stared at the mutilated rose on the Opera House roof. He would have to trick her, to get Christine in a way she wouldn’t expect. So long as he still had breath flowing through his body, he refused to give her peace – At least, not for a long amount of time.