• Published 17th Feb 2020
  • 5,996 Views, 461 Comments

Twilight Sparkle is an Espeon Now - Starscribe



Twilight wakes up one day, and she isn't a pony anymore. If she were the only one, things might not be so bad. She isn't.

  • ...
28
 461
 5,996

Chapter 2

Twilight knew she couldn’t remain in the kitchen for any length of time without getting caught. It was the highest-traffic part of the castle, with dozens of ponies passing through it along their daily routines. Anything she did would have to be subtle, using her most careful stealth to avoid being seen.

Then again, nopony knows what I look like. How would they know it’s me taking things from the kitchen? Of course if they had, she wouldn’t have had to worry. It was her castle, her food to take if she wanted it.

Twilight crept carefully through the low doorway, eyes scanning the room for any sign of activity. Her strange positional senses still seemed to be working—she could feel motion by one of the stoves. She glanced cautiously in that direction, and sure enough there was Galette working on the evening meal with one of his sous-chefs. Twilight didn’t want an unfinished soup, that was for sure. But she knew with total confidence what was tucked away in a remote corner of her pantry, just waiting for her to acquire.

Twilight frequently treated visitors at her castle, and some of those had tastes that ordinary ponies would not appreciate. Now Twilight was probably one of those, though she didn’t particularly care. Why should she be bothered with what ponies thought about her choices?

She waited until just the right moment, then darted across the kitchen towards the pantry door. It was shut, but her magic quickly solved that, yanking on the knob and pulling it out. There was no need to twist, since it was made to be easy to use by non-unicorns. The room beyond was dark, but even without her eyes she could feel the exact borders of every object around her. She hopped carefully up from the floor, balancing on the edge of a shelf filled with cans. She stalked along it towards the next ledge, then hopped up.

Maybe less gracefully than she’d hoped, because her back legs caught over open air and swung for a few seconds, dislodging a can in the process. It thumped to the floor, but she ignored it. There were more important things to worry about, like not falling.

She grunted, then shoved herself up onto the top shelf. Here were the rarest, most valuable ingredients, reserved for special occasions and important guests. Twilight ignored priceless jars of spices from Saddle Arabia, stepped carelessly over packets of saffron, and reached the back corner. There, cans marked with griffon labels sat in isolation, as though the pony who had put them here was afraid it would contaminate the rest of the kitchen by proximity.

There were images of fish on the side of the cans, food that Twilight herself had tried and not hated, though the idea of it still rubbed her the wrong way. Well, it had rubbed her the wrong way in the past. Now she couldn’t care less as she levitated one of the cans off the stack, lifting it to the floor below.

As she followed it, she realized something that had been only a distant fact in her mind a few moments prior—she wasn’t alone.

Galette stood in the doorway, staring up at her with wide, speechless eyes. His wings spread at his sides, an instinctive reaction to fear. His fear was an unpleasant stink on the air, one that didn’t mix well with the real odors of food. “This isn’t a subject for concern,” she told him, hopping down to the ground in a single graceful stride.

It didn’t matter that she’d been scrambling for her life to avoid that same fall moments before—now that she was ready to go down, it was an effortless hop. She walked a few steps closer to her can, protecting it with one shoulder.

Galette slammed the door shut in her face.

That was good—it meant that she was now free of distractions and could return to doing something that actually mattered. Twilight flicked the light on—no sense hiding if the kitchen knew she was here—and turned to stare at the can.

She didn’t have an opener, nor did the pantry seem to contain any tools she might use for that purpose. But she did have her magic, maybe there was some way to use that? Twilight knocked over the can, inspecting the lid.

It wasn’t flat, but had a little tab on top, fastened to the metal. So she’d been worried for nothing! Twilight gripped the object firmly to the ground, and yanked on the fastener with all her magical might.

It came off with a “pop” of compressed air, and a smell of food inside. The water the fish was stored in spilled out on the ground at her paws, splashing all over her in the process. But she didn’t care about that either—her hunger mattered more.

Outside the pantry, she heard voices. Galette was there, along with one of the guards, and several others Twilight didn’t know. Whoever they were, it couldn’t matter too much. I just have to stay safe until Starlight Glimmer finds me. That can’t be too hard.

Her student would make this better, just as Twilight would’ve done for her if the positions were reversed. It would be simple!

Once Twilight finished eating—not the least bothered that her fish was slightly old and also completely raw, she became suddenly concerned with the fishy-smelling liquid all over her body.

There was only one solution to that—she started grooming herself, sitting up primly and licking away at her coat until she couldn’t smell the fish anymore.

She was just about finished with her work when the door swung abruptly open. There was Spike, along with a pair of Twilight’s own castle guard, and the single pony Twilight actually wanted to see.

“That’s her,” Spike said, pointing directly at her. “Sorry for the trouble, Galette.”

“I can’t work under these conditions!” he raged, storming away. But Twilight didn’t listen to the other things he said. She shook herself out, advancing on Starlight and preparing her response.

“Starlight, I’ve been waiting for you. You’re the only pony I have any faith of reversing this.”

Starlight Glimmer froze in the doorway, expression twisting into one of confusion. Just like the others, even though Twilight felt like she was speaking just fine.

After a few seconds, Starlight Glimmer took a cautious step forward, looking directly at Twilight. Her worry was a slight electric buzz in the air around her, but it was nowhere near as intense as Spike’s had been. There was a powerful undercurrent of thought there beside it, as though Twilight’s predicament inspired more planning than fear.

“Twilight. If you can understand me, I need you to nod, okay?”

Twilight nodded, her motions just as exaggerated as Starlight’s words were slow. “I already went through this with Spike. Yes I can understand you, no I don’t know why you can’t understand me, and I don’t know what caused this. I wasn’t doing anything that could’ve caused a complete transformation like this, and I’m bucking sure I don’t run full-body transformations on myself.”

Starlight looked back at Spike. He nodded. “What did I tell you? You can almost hear Twilight in there when she talks. I think she’s lecturing you like she lectured me.”

“Probably about how I need to fix this,” Starlight muttered. “Because she doesn’t have a horn. One of the princesses of Equestria is an animal and I have to fix it.” She turned slightly away. “Well, come on out then. We’re, uh… I guess we’ll use your lab? I need to take some observations, and… samples! Lots of samples. Magical samples, so I can try to figure out exactly how to reverse this before anypony notices. Unless… do you know what went wrong? Can you nod for me if you know?”

Twilight shook her head, following Starlight from the closet. “I just explained this. I don’t know what happened.”

“At least she can understand us,” Starlight said again. “So you should know that we’re going to the lab to do some research.”

“Yes, yes,” Twilight said, impatient. “I heard you.” The real question was, how long would that research take? There was a whole world outside, one she could smell a little as they walked past an open balcony door. Ponyville would be a fascinating place to explore. Once she was away from her castle, there would be no reason for the ponies who saw her to suspect that Twilight was involved. Ponyville had plenty of cats, stray or otherwise. She didn’t look that magical at a distance.

She attracted plenty of stares as she made her way through the castle. Some part of her—quieter now, the longer she spent like this—knew those whispers had somehow found out what had happened to her. Nevermind that she’d been very explicit with Spike about how he wasn’t supposed to share with anyone. Now they knew, and they appeared to pass the information on.

Her castle could keep secrets, for a while. But nothing could stay in the castle for long.

Eventually they climbed up near the crown of the great crystal tree, past flights of tremendously boring stairs. Twilight slipped past Starlight into the vast space, which was roofed by a wide clear dome that gave her a good view of the stars at night for stargazing or spellcasting purposes.

But now she was fascinated by all the scents of her various ingredients, and Twilight immediately hopped onto the nearest table to inspect them.

A second later Starlight Glimmer reached her, and she felt herself lifting into the air. Starlight’s magic was strong, and she gripped Twilight just behind the neck along with under the belly. Her legs gave out and her body went rigid, and she suddenly lost interest in whatever she was doing. Any thought of resistance faded, and she looked up at Starlight with a placid, vacant grin.

“You would not want to walk around with my Immolation experiment,” Starlight said. “Just a little pressure in the wrong place, and… I already know cats aren’t fireproof.” She lifted her across the room, towards a circle of crystals set into the floor. They began to glow as pony magic approached, humming in anticipation of containing whatever would go inside.

A second later, Twilight went inside, and a shimmering barrier appeared around her. “I’m sorry,” Starlight said, not sounding even a little sorry. “But just because you can understand doesn’t mean you’re in control of your faculties. You seem to be causing quite a bit of trouble. And I don’t think you’d forgive me if I let you hurt ponies while you didn’t know what you were doing.”

Twilight batted at the side of the shield anyway, considering whether or not she would try to break through it. Then she realized that would be rather dull, and she just sat down instead.

She’d always expected the magical analyzer to be more… invasive, from the things it sometimes did to magical samples. Ponies used their powers without control, manifesting their racial abilities or their special talents. Potions boiled over, enchanted objects flared and could even be damaged by too much exposure.

But Twilight Sparkle felt almost nothing. A few moments later, and the crystals went dark again.

Starlight’s expression fell as she approached the printer. A thin stream of tape belched out the end, and Starlight leaned down to inspect it. “Hmm. That isn’t what I was hoping to see. There’s no active spell on you, Twilight. What kind of transformation wouldn’t still be active?”

“Discord’s,” Twilight suggested, knowing full well that Starlight wouldn’t understand her. “This chaos does seem like something he would try. Even if it wasn’t him, he might have an idea of what else could’ve caused it.”

Starlight Glimmer nodded to herself as the barrier finally faded. “Stay down here, Twilight,” she said, crossing to the door and shutting it behind her. She leaned close to the wood, and her voice carried through easily. “I’m going to see if Fluttershy can get me in touch with Discord. I’ll be down to feed you in a few hours.”

“Sure thing!” Twilight called, without even the slightest intention of waiting like she suggested. As soon as she was sure her friend was gone, Twilight crept up to the door, unlocked it from the other side, and strode through.