• Published 17th Feb 2020
  • 5,976 Views, 461 Comments

Twilight Sparkle is an Espeon Now - Starscribe



Twilight wakes up one day, and she isn't a pony anymore. If she were the only one, things might not be so bad. She isn't.

  • ...
28
 461
 5,976

Chapter 3

Ranked against Rainbow Dash’s favorite mornings, she probably would’ve named today as a below-average 3/10.

It wasn’t just that she’d woken with the cloud-bed of her cloud-house suddenly puffing away beneath her. Then her body was sent tumbling down towards Lake Ponyville, which wasn’t great either. Nevermind that she was up altogether earlier than she would’ve liked, no matter the circumstances.

Falling from great height was nothing strange for Rainbow, and it wouldn’t have ordinarily pushed the morning much below her average. The problem was, rather, that she no longer had her wings. She kept trying to spread them, but there was nothing there, nothing to catch the wind. When she started to tumble in the air, she could do nothing at all to correct her fall.

She screamed, catching a brief glimpse of a waxy blue tail above her as she turned over her own flank in the air. But she lived alone above a lake, so it wasn’t as though there was anypony to hear her and come for help. Rainbow was completely on her own as she fell, the terrible reality of her impact rushing up to meet her from below. Whatever had happened to remove her ability to fly, it would soon remove her ability to live as well.

She knew full well just how likely she was to survive an impact from great height, even into water. That wasn’t the kind of crash you could walk away from.

Rainbow had a few precious seconds to wonder how she’d gone wrong, and to speculate at the mistakes that had led her to that point. Then she hit the water, and her world shattered.

She felt like she was shattering too, breaking apart as she hit the water. But what she expected to be a point of terrible agony before the end of all sensation—wasn’t.

Her mind drifted, disassociated from body, sensation, or thought. She felt briefly at Lake Ponyville’s boundaries—it wasn’t really much of a lake, even by generous estimates. More of a pond, with only a few dozen scrawny fish.

Shouldn’t I be dead? Rainbow found herself searching for her broken corpse, which at the very least would seem highly improbable and create an awesome mystery for her friends to solve. Her only regret would be that she wouldn’t be able to go on that adventure and solve it with them.

But there was no body, no corpse, no blood. Rainbow couldn’t really see, even, so much as she could perceive what was in the pond, and no further. She knew the roots of the various little plants had to connect to leaves further up, and that the world continued past the water’s banks. But why couldn’t she see it anymore?

Rainbow tensed, and found herself coming back together. It wasn’t a broken thing mending, since she hadn’t broken exactly. But one moment she wasn’t, and the next… there she was, standing on the bottom of the lake as though it were the most natural thing in the world.

She could feel the water pressing down around her, restricting all but the faintest shreds of light piercing through the surface above. Sounds were muffled too, only the occasional lapping of the water and a slight breeze above the pond.

Shouldn’t I need to breathe? Curious, Rainbow pushed off the bottom of the pond, swimming up towards the light. Her head broke the surface near the edge, and she took a deep breath. Yes, she could breathe. But did she need to?

She dropped down again, closing her eyes. She waited for the pressure for air to get to her, forcing her to surface. It didn’t.

Finally Rainbow realized that it never would, or at the very least she became bored enough that she didn’t want to wait it out. Instead she rose from the water, turning to look at her own reflection on its broken surface.

There was a little resemblance there—she still shared some of the same colors. But she no longer looked even a little like a pony. Maybe a dog, or a small wolf, though she was bright blue and had smooth scales instead of fur. She reached up, feeling the fins running up her head.

I won’t be flying like this, she realized, horrified. Rainbow stared up at her distant cloud house, watching it slowly drift away. There was nothing she could do to stop it.

I should probably go get help, she thought. I shouldn’t be a wolf-thing. Being able to somehow land and survive in the pond had been a lucky thing. Should she still be bothered about her near death? Rainbow didn’t really get bothered, she almost died too often.

Who would know how to help when you’re suddenly a wolf-thing? Twilight, obviously. The tricky thing would be getting to her without being noticed. Dogs weren’t dangerous, but she’d have to pass the Apple Farm on her way back into Ponyville, and Applejack could get quite protective of her chickens. Fluttershy too, if she happened to go that way.

“I should probably go to her first,” she said to herself, picking that direction and setting off at the equivalent of a trot for wolf-monsters. Fluttershy’s cabin wasn’t that far away. If she could fly, she probably could’ve reached it in just a few minutes.

At first Rainbow Dash kept to the path she knew, though her paws liked the grass more than the bare dirt, and she stuck to that where she could. The sun beat down on her all the while, and she found herself soon missing the lake. Why did Ponyville feel so dry today? They were on track with the moisture schedule, at least Rainbow thought they were.

Soon enough the cabin came into view, and Rainbow lowered her whole body into a stalking crouch. Fluttershy would never hurt a strange animal, no matter how predatory it looked. But she might have visitors, in which case Rainbow would wait until she was alone. At least it was early enough in the morning that she didn’t think her friend would be gone anywhere.

But she still had to find her. Of course it might all be pointless. Maybe anypony would’ve been able to understand me. But even if that was the case, at least this way she’d be able to figure out just what a weird blue wolf thing was.

She listened at the door as she approached, intent on whatever might be going on inside. Sure enough, the area was completely inundated with smells—there were many creatures in this cabin, some of which might be a threat to her. But considering Rainbow had gone hoof to hoof with dragons before, she wasn’t going to be scared off. Even if Fluttershy’s bear friend did make it particularly troublesome to be here.

She approached the door carefully. But she could make out no voices from inside, not even faint ones. The knob was a little over her head, but she could probably reach it if she lifted up high enough. The first few times she flopped uselessly onto the floor, landing like something wet.

But the third time she got the knob in her mouth, and was able to twist. Unlocked, as usual. The door opened inward, taking her with it, but she caught herself on her paws easily enough. At least wolf things stood and walked in basically the same way as ponies did.

“Fluttershy, are you in here? I’m, uh… I think I need your help. Maybe a little bit? And before you say anything, it’s totally not my fault.”

For a few seconds there was nothing but silence in the cabin, and a breeze whistling through the open window. Which, the longer Rainbow heard it, the stranger it seemed. Fluttershy’s cabin was busy. But she couldn’t see any of them now.

Finally, from down the hall, Rainbow heard a single tiny voice. “I can’t help you right now.” Fluttershy, coming from inside her bedroom. Her voice was unusually faint, but still familiar. “Ask Zecora.”

“I mean maybe I would…” Rainbow began creeping forward, eyes alert for any of Fluttershy’s animals that got too aggressive enforcing what their master wanted. It wouldn’t be the first time.

She stopped in front of Fluttershy’s bedroom door, which was shut just like the front. She pushed it, but no good. She’d have to twist the knob too.

“Go away,” Fluttershy said again, a little more forcefully this time. Forcefully enough that Rainbow might’ve had pause, if it wasn’t for her following up a few seconds later. “I’m sorry if I sound a little cross with you right now, but I really don’t have the time to be helping anypony. Just trust me that I would love to if I could, and visit somepony else for help. Zecora maybe, or Twilight.”

Something rumbled on the other side, massive claws scraping at the wood. Rainbow backed away instinctively, feeling the house depress a little, and knowing what must be on the other side to make it do that. She tucked her tail in, big as it was, and waited.

A second later, and Fluttershy’s bear emerged from the other side of the room, swiftly shutting the door behind him. Rainbow tried to peak around him to whatever was going on beyond—the bedroom had been destroyed, with sheets and blankets and pillows everywhere. But she didn’t see Fluttershy. Where was her friend hiding?

“Go away,” the bear growled—though he actually sounded less angry about it than Fluttershy herself had when she said the same thing.

“Hey, I can understand you!” Rainbow found her fear fading fast—even though the bear towered over her, with claws as long as her muzzle, you didn’t think of someone who you could talk to as likely to rip off your face. Being able to understand the bear probably meant some other things too, but Rainbow wasn’t really the sort of pony to think them through. Let Twilight worry about that.

“Fluttershy! Fluttershy, I’m a weird blue wolf thing and I can understand your friend now and maybe you should just come out and talk to me?”

Silence. Even the bear waited for her response, seeming completely unfazed by Rainbow’s appearance. He barely even looked at her, in fact.

But then a voice did answer from inside the bedroom. “Come in.”

“Finally.”

Despite everything, Rainbow waited until the bear got out of the way. He seemed intent on watching her with every step, though she couldn’t quite guess at his emotions. She never showed her back to the animal, keeping low and submissive to the ground at all times—ready to run if she had to.

But she didn’t have to, as soon enough he had opened the door and moved out of her way. Rainbow hurried in, but whatever she might’ve said turned into a garbled mess at what she saw there.

Fluttershy wasn’t in bed, she was curled up on the floor beside it. The reason she hadn’t left her bedroom was a familiar one: her friend no longer looked like a pony.

Like Rainbow Dash herself, the physical resemblances to the way she was supposed to look were obvious. She was still a similar creamy yellow, though her paws were brown. Her ears and tail were the strangest however, melting into something like leaves near their tips.

She was instantly struck with a sense of familiarity—Fluttershy hadn’t just gone through the same process, but ended up something that looked almost the same as she did. Except that she was a leafy wolf thing instead of a blue river wolf thing.

“The real question is, when does Discord pop out to laugh and take pictures?”

“I… don’t think it was him,” Fluttershy answered, shaking herself out and rising slowly from her pile of blankets and pillows. She made her way over, sniffing at Rainbow. “Discord would never pull a practical joke on me without a warning first, he knows I don’t like it. Something else did this.”

“Whatever it was, we can figure it out together.”