• Published 8th Feb 2020
  • 494 Views, 12 Comments

Backstory of Melody Song - Melody Song



The backstory of my character, Melody Song.

  • ...
4
 12
 494

Ether Walker

"Discord! You tell me what you did to my student at once!"

"Moi? Hurt your student? Never." Discord said "Why Twilight, that you would think so lowly of me, I'm positively heartbroken."

Discord split into two, then sewed himself back together. Headmare Twilight glared at him.

"If you didn't do anything to Melody then why are you here?"

"Why, Twilight, I've simply come to congratulate the new E-Master."

Discord appeared in front of me and I yelped, but he ignored this and shook my hoof.

"Congratulate? I'm sorry, what?" Headmare Twilight asked

"Why, it's not often that the Ether chooses a new master, I think the last one was... oh, over a millennia ago? It's been dormant for a while, and now it's selected someone to wield it's magic again."

"The... the Ether? Is that the place we were in?" I asked, and Discord stepped back, looking... confused?

"Why yes. Did you not know?"

"Know what? All I know is that I fell through Headmare Twilight's accidental portal, and then something wrapped around me and covered me and now my mane is different and I can see stuff around Headmare Twilight and Harper and I think somethings wrong with me." I blurted it all out at once.

"See someth-ah, their cores. Yes..." Discord smiled. "Just the Ether working it's magic."

"Discord, please explain. To all of us." Headmare Twilight said.

"Oh very well." Discord snapped his claws just as Harper came out of the room. In a flash, we were in the Cutie Map Room, and the other Professors were there.

"Discord!"

"What? You said 'to all of us'. This is all of us."

"I... I..." Headmare Twilight sighed "Very well, proceed."

I stood with Harper by Headmare Twilight's throne as the others took their own seats. Discord stood importantly in a suit and tie.

"Now, as I was saying..." Discord cleared his throat. "The place where Melody was taken is known as the Ether. I have no clue how Twiggles here was able to rip open a portal to it, but usually the Ether rejects anyone who enters it aside from myself."

"Then... what happened to her?" Twilight asked

"Melody was chosen." Discord replied "The Ether chose her to become it's next master. It hasn't had one in over a millennia and it seems it was finally ready to select a new one."

"My bestie, chosen to be master of something?" Harper looked at me, and I chuckled.

"Well, you see, the Ether has chosen her, which means..."

"What, Discord?"

"It means that Melody will have a number of new... abilities. Hence why she said something wrapped around her and the fact she now has purple in her mane."

"So... what kind of abilities?" I asked "Does it have to do with the fact that... that there's stuff around everyone?"

They all looked at me, and Discord laughed.

"Yes, you're seeing their magical cores."

"Their what?"

"Magical cores are auras that surround everycreature. Only extremely powerful creatures can see them, like alicorns." Headmare Twilight responded

"So how do I stop seeing them?" I rubbed my eyes.

Discord smirked and placed a paw over my eyes, then snapped his fingers. When he uncovered my eyes the aura like things were no longer there.

"That should stop you seeing the cores until you can gain better control of the Ether and turn it off on your own."

I blinked, and Headmare Twilight trotted up. "Discord... that was... actually helpful."

"What? I'm allowed to do good things every once in a while." Discord snapped his claws and a scroll appeared. He held it out to me. "This is a map of the Ether, I made it myself."

"Okay... thanks..." I took the scroll, then he snapped his claws once more.

"And there. Because I know Twi'lek would start, as it's dubbed, 'Twilighting' if it were to happen, should you get lost I will be immediately alerted and can retrieve you."

"Wow... thanks Discord..." I looked down at the scroll.

"So... you basically put a tracking spell on her like a dog." Harper said. Discord shrugged.

"The easiest solution."

"So... do you know what kind of powers I'll have?" I asked

"It varies between masters. Your being a Pegasus and not naturally attuned to wielding magic will factor in as well. Though it seems your magic will be a purple aura, seeing as you have that streak."

"So... when I was wishing to go home after what I assume was the magic bonding with me, and I saw that violet flash... was that my magic responding to what I wanted?"

"Precisely!" Discord clapped his paws. "I'm afraid no one can help you with your magic, however. Ether magic is not like Alicorn magic, or unicorn magic, or even my chaos magic. You can learn elements of each of those different kinds of magic, but your own brand of magic will be unique to you."

"So... I have to learn how to use it on my own?" I asked, suddenly afraid.

"Essentially."

Headmare Twilight put her hoof on my shoulder. "I am so sorry. I did this..."

"Oh don't go getting your horn in a twist." Discord scoffed. "This would have happened anyway, the Ether was going to choose her no matter what. That's how it works."

"Still, I'm so sorry Melody."

"It's alright... if Discord's right, this isn't your fault." I replied.

Headmare Twilight nodded, then stepped back. "I think you should keep quiet about these powers, Melody. At least until we know more about the magic you have and you can control it."

"You're right Headmare Twilight..." I said, nodding. "I won't tell anyone... except... maybe my friends?"

Headmare Twilight hesitated, then nodded. "Of course. You can tell your friends."

"Wait, really?" Professor Dash asked

"Dash is right Twilight." Professor Applejack trotted over. "You really think that's the best idea? We don't want anyone gettin' hurt, or the wrong types finding out about this new magic."

Headmare Twilight sighed. "Remember when Tirek invaded for the first time, and the other Princesses hid their magic within me?"

"Yes...?"

"Celestia asked me to keep my new power a secret, even from my friends. That was a mistake. I won't make the same one she did."

Professor Applejack hesitated, then nodded and stepped back.

"Thank you Headmare..." I said, and she nodded.

"Go ahead and find them, I'm sure they're all worried." Headmare Twilight said.

I looked at Harper, and they smiled, before extending their wing. My eyes widened. Harper hadn't let me hold wings with them since back when we were friends with Orchid. I took their wing, in my own, then we ran out.

"Just to be clear, it's a one-time thing." they said

"Eh, I don't mind. I'll just enjoy it while it lasts." I replied, as we headed towards the school.

Author's Note:

The chapter updates will slow down now, sorry if you're wondering what happens next, you'll have to wait a bit.

~Melody Song