• Published 8th Feb 2020
  • 494 Views, 12 Comments

Backstory of Melody Song - Melody Song



The backstory of my character, Melody Song.

  • ...
4
 12
 494

Headmare Twilight's Task

I followed Headmare Twilight into her office, where she pulled open a drawer in her filing cabinets with her magic.

"You can help me start organizing by subject title." Headmare Twilight told me, and I nodded, picking up the files. "I know it's a bit hard to carry those in your mouth, sorry."

"It'th fine." I replied, voice muffled by the files as I set them on the floor, then raising my wings. "That's why wings can come in handy."

I grabbed a few more files with the appendages in question and nosed them around to spread the files out. I then grabbed the closest one: Applejack's apple spice muffin recipe and placed it in front. As I worked, I heard Headmare Twilight shuffling files nearby. The next read Ingredients for a perfect Hayburger. I'm sensing a pattern here.

"These seem to all be recipes."

"Oh, yes, they're for the cafeteria. It's hard keeping them organized with all the creatures we have."

"I guess I can understand that. But...Griffons and Dragons eat meat, don't they? And Hippogriffs fish?"

"Well...yes. But Gallus and Smolder both assured me when they first arrived that if it made us uncomfortable to serve it, they were willing to eat other foods. When Zamara and Glen arrived they agreed to the same. Silverstream and Shine also mentioned fish is not a main part of their diets. As a result, we don't currently have any recipes written down that involve...that food option. But we have a few...*ahem* suppliers for any times when it needs to be served."

"Like...friends and family day?" I asked.

"Yes, exactly." Headmare Twilight nodded, then levitated some more files out of one cabinet.

"There, done." I said as I slid the last file into the cabinet and shut it. I then pulled open the next one up. "Hey, these are student files."

"Oh, yes, I do need to re-organize the way I have the cabinets set up. You don't have to look through those if you don't want to invade your friend's privacy."

"It's okay, I pretty much know everything about my friends already, and I don't know many other ponies at school."

I lifted them out, and one of the papers slipped from a file. I knelt down to pick it up, setting the file next to it, and saw it was Orchid Gleam's. Coincidence? Maybe. Should I see what it is? Well...am I really that angry with her...?

"Melody?" Headmare Twilight asked without turning. "You're awfully quiet."

"Oh, well..."

I picked up the file and paper, shoving it hastily in. Wrinkling her probably important paper was good enough. Headmare Twilight looked around and saw the file I was holding.

"Miss Song...?"

"It fell out. I-" I sighed. "I was going to peek, but I realized...why should stoop to her level? I mean, she would have done the same." Headmare Twilight smiled at me.

"I think I made the right decision choosing you to be our assistant, you're learning lessons without anyone needing to teach them to you."

"Oh...thank you Headmare." I then reached up and slid the file back in.

"It takes a lot of integrity for somepony to be able to resist going to the same lengths as an enemy." Headmare Twilight remarked, to which I gave no comment.

We worked in silence a while longer, giving me time to reflect on that.

Headmare Twilight believed I had integrity-another word for having strong moral principles. But really, was I that good? I fought the system a lot after the incident. Not in a bad way...but more with a bit of a vicious streak of refusal to try and make amends with Orchid. Both Harper and I did, really. But Harper's always been a tough pony. Of course they would resist. I was always the good one. But...I don't like that role. I've lately read books like Not Your Perfect Mexicolt Daughter and Valor, and Confinement. They're all about standing up for yourself and I wish I was like the characters in the books, living their lives alongside them.

I'm not saying, of course, that I want to plan walkouts or get locked up in a confinement camp or get shipped off to my homeland like the characters in the books. It's all made up. And even though parts are based on past events, or could actually happen, I know I'd never wish it on anyone.

Either way, whatever Headmare Twilight thinks of me, I'm not perfect. I don't always have integrity and I think...if what was written on the paper had been more visible, I would have looked. I may have integrity. But maybe not completely. But then, that's to be expected for my age, isn't it?

"I think I've got these arranged properly." I spoke up

"Oh, thank you Melody. That's everything I needed you for. You can go hang out with your friends." Headmare Twilight assured me.

"Okay Headmare." I said, closing the cabinet drawer and heading for the door. "And...Headmare Twilight?"

"Yes Melody?"

"...I don't feel right being told I have integrity...there have been times when I behaved very badly. If I do have integrity, it must be very little. Can you...please refrain from calling me that?"

"Hm...alright Miss Song. I'll take your words to heart. But I don't like hearing them. You are a bright student and being praised is natural."

"Oh, I know. I just like being praised when I deserve it for actions or work I've done. In another time...maybe I would have looked at Orchid's file."

"...Very well Melody. You can go."

I left the room with my ears down and breathed a sigh of relief. I headed back to Harper and I's room, just in time for the Pegasus in question to come barreling down the hall.

"Melody! Oh thank Celestia!"

"Harp, what's wrong?"

"Silverstream invited our gang to hang out with theirs!"

Author's Note:

Hey...sorry I haven't updated this...major writers block for the story. But I'm back!

Those books mentioned are references to three different books. Let's make it a game. Whoever guesses which books they are in real life wins...for now let's go with a shoutout. Here's a hint: two of the book titles in the chapter are synonymous with the names of the actual books

~Melody Song