• Published 8th Feb 2020
  • 494 Views, 12 Comments

Backstory of Melody Song - Melody Song



The backstory of my character, Melody Song.

  • ...
4
 12
 494

A New Day, A New Challenge

I smiled in my sleep and cuddled against the pillow, which muffled Harper's snores. I was having this amazing dream about a giant library of my favorite books and ones I'd never heard of. I was reading them, when suddenly I felt a hot breath by my face and a giant tongue.

"Eww! Echo!" I sat up as claws got tangled in my black mane.

I'd had Echo for a few weeks now, and while I liked having a pet, she was pretty eager to wake me up in the morning. Harper seemed to share my grievances.

"Ugh... worse than any alarm clock..." Harper muttered, sitting up.

"Well, we're up. Come on, let's get ready. After what Echo did to my mane I'll have to brush it extra hard." I sighed

"Great." Harper then flopped back down onto their bed. I rolled my eyes and got out of my bed.

"Echo, go wake up Harper, girl." I whispered, and the wolf bounded over.

As I disappeared into the bathroom inside the room, I heard Harper yell out and grinned. I think I'll practice singing in the bathroom. It would waste time, yes. But that was less time for Harper to get back at me.

On the way to class with my friends, Professor Rarity stopped me. I'd run errands for her before, and figured she was looking for someone to help with her fabric or something.

"Professor? Did you want me to help you with your fabric samples?"

"No no dear." Professor Rarity lifted a stack of papers to me. "Twilight's in her lab in the castle and I need her to look over these permission slips. Could you run them to her for me?"

"Oh. Sure, I could do that." I took the papers in my hooves and took off, hovering in midair.

"Thank you dear. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two, Twilight's lab is the third door on the left of the second hallway you see."

"Got it." I smiled and nodded to my friends. "Go on without me, I'll be back soon."

"You sure? We can wait-" Harper began

"No, I wouldn't want you to miss class because of me. I have an excuse. You don't." I replied with a cheeky grin, and Harper groaned. "See you in class!"

I then flew off before Harper could protest. I made my way out of the school and into the castle. I smiled and gave a polite nod to Tempest Shadow, the head (and only) guard for the castle. She greeted me in kind, then continued on her patrol.

I flew down the hallway to the door Professor Rarity told me was the lab. I wonder why it's so close to the school...but then again, the castle was here way before the school, it's probably just coincidence. I made it to the door and knocked politely.

"Hello? Headmare Twilight?"

"Hm?" Headmare Twilight poked her head out. Her mane was very disheveled, like she hadn't slept. "Oh, Melody! What are you doing here, you should be in class."

"I know. Professor Rarity asked me to deliver these permission slips to you."

"Oh, right, for her trip to her Canterlot boutique." Twilight nodded, stepping in. "Come in. If you wouldn't mind setting those down on the first empty table you find? I'm kind of tied up at the moment."

"Of course Headmare." I flew in and looked around.

The room was covered in tables, metal contraptions, and piles of books and scrolls. I chuckled lightly at the disorganization of the one Professor that was known to be the most organized. I found an empty spot and set the permission slips down, landing as I did.

"Thank you Melody. Could you find Rarity before you head to class and let her know I'll look at them later?"

"Of course. Um...what exactly are you doing, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Oh, I'm studying the possibility of inter-dimensional travel." Headmare Twilight replied, lifting a few papers. "You remember that lesson where we discussed the alternate world, correct?"

"The one where Sunset Shimmer ran off to?"

"Exactly." Headmare Twilight nodded "I'm trying to see if it's possible for us to recreate that mirror's properties. Only this time, to alter it so we can traverse multiple dimensions from the same mirror."

"That's really cool." I said eagerly. "So where's the mirror you're using?"

"I ordered a regular mirror to be shipped in from Reina. But I don't need it right now. I'm testing the theoretical parts of the spells and the way I wrote them first." Headmare Twilight replied, shuffling through the papers and lifting what looked like one of Professor Rarity's mirrors up. "I'm about to test it practically on this hoofheld mirror."

"Oh, I should probably leave then..."

"Good idea, I don't know if there will be any discharge and I don't want anything bad to happen to you. Plus you need to get to class." Headmare Twilight said, and I nodded.

I trotted to the door, but I had to step around a few metal wires and coils, and bumped into a table. I heard Headmare Twilight mumbling behind me and didn't want to leave her more of a mess to clean up. I leaned down and grabbed them, picking them up. Then, I heard a horn ignite, and-

"Melody! I thought you left!"

I set the papers down and quickly spun. "I'm sorry, I was just picking up the-"

Headmare Twilight's magenta aura was making the mirror glow, and as I spoke, it expanded. Both Headmare Twilight and I yelped as the magic exploded around us and caused a glowing portal in the middle of the room. I felt it pulling at me and took to the air, trying to fly away from it as Headmare Twilight made a protective bubble around herself.

"Melody!" she called, and I tried to fly to her.

As I was about to reach her, one of the tables was sucked towards the portal and knocked into me. I screamed as I fell backwards...and into the portal...suddenly, all I could see was teal and violet.

Author's Note:

Sorry this is so late! I was busy all day and forgot to publish it!