• Published 8th Feb 2020
  • 491 Views, 12 Comments

Backstory of Melody Song - Melody Song



The backstory of my character, Melody Song.

  • ...
4
 12
 491

First Job

"They asked you WHAT?!!"

I had just finished telling Harper after Headmare Twilight showed me the ropes this morning. I'd been avoiding her questioning until now. Mostly because I wasn't sure what she'd think about it. And because I still hadn't figured out how I felt about it. However, it felt like a good time now, seeing as some of our friends were in our room with us, better to get it all done with now.

I laughed softly in embarrassment, looking around at the group of my friends. I should probably explain more about them.

Glen, the Gryphon I mentioned, is there. They're wearing a blue leather jacket with various buttons they'd collected over the years. They had a fondness for "cool ones" from Equestrian culture, rock bands, sexuality equality promoters, the like. Glen's fur is a kind of deep purple, almost maroon. The feathers on their head are black, and longer on one side so it hangs off their face. Their wings are the same deep purple, but with black tips. They also have black marks around the top of their eyes. Glen is kind of our friend, but I'm not really sure. They're a bit more of a loner.

Then there's Zamara. She's a dragon with yellow scales and pale blue frills. She, like Glen, is a bit of a loner, and more reserved. I'm actually not sure if she's our friend, but she's Glen's roommate, so she knows who we are, and seems to enjoy our company.

Next is Shine. She's a Hippogriff, with a light green mane and blue fur. She's really nice, and is definitely my friend. But actually, outside of school, Shine has chosen to remain a Seapony. She'd never spent any time on land before coming here. She's also roommates with the last creature in the room.

Dahlia is a changeling with a deep pink coat and a light purple frill on her head. She's another definite friend, really sweet and nice. But she sometimes teases Shine for being so naive about most things. She spent an hour explaining what a fountain is to Shine.

Regardless of how they vary in being my friend, they all are very excited for me. I smile at them softly.

"This does mean I may have to report some of the trouble we get up to." I warn

"I'm out." Zamara says, half rising. It takes me a minute for me to get she was joking.

"This is awesome Mel! You get to be their assistant!" Harper objected. I smiled.

"True. Um, what about the rest of you? What do you think?" I asked

"It's an amazing opportunity Melody." Glen replied, cracking a small smile.

"Yeah!" Shine added

"It's really cool." Dahlia agreed

"Melody?" Ocellus poked her head into the room. "Professor Rainbow Dash needs you in her classroom."

"Well, duty calls, huh?" Harper teased, and I laughed.

"I'm coming Ocellus." I followed the changeling out to see her group of friends nearby.

Sandbar and Gallus were standing next to each other, talking. Smolder was leaning against the wall, chatting with Silverstream and Yona. I waved to them with my wing before heading off.

"You wanted to see me Professor?" I asked as I entered the Loyalty Classroom.

"Yeah. Can you help me clean the classroom? The last class left it a pretty big mess." Professor Dash asked, and I nodded.

"Oh, sure. Any reason why you didn't just have the class clean it when they were done?"

"No, just wanted to give 'em a break for once." Professor Dash answered.

As we tided up the classroom, I couldn't help noticing that Professor Dash kept glancing out the window.

"What's wrong Professor?" I asked, and she looked around.

"Look, can you keep a secret?" Professor Dash asked me.

"Of course Professor. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

"Cool. By the way, the other Professors and I agree that we don't mind if you call us by our usual names when the rest of the students aren't around. So just call me Rainbow, okay?"

"Alright. What's wrong?"

"Well..." Rainbow went over to the window. "My friends on the Wonderbolts team are coming by, we're going flying together. And...one of them...I kind of have a crush on him." Professor-er-Rainbow, told me, blushing.

"You...do? That's nice." I said, smiling.

"No, it's not." Rainbow banged her head against the wall, making me step back slightly in surprise. "I like him so much I can't think. Worse, our other friends know and they've been saying if I don't tell him by the end of the day, they will for me."

"Why don't you tell him then?"

I was confused, but not so much when Rainbow Dash turned and I saw tears in her eyes. It was the first time I've seen her look so vulnerable. I do hope it's not the last because emotions can't be pent up like that. But still, I at least hope next time, it comes out in front of ponies who know her better.

"Because the last time I told somepony how I felt, it hurt me. He lied to get close to me. Somepony always gets hurt." Rainbow replied to my question at last.

"Not necessarily..." I trotted towards her. "I get it, the last time you fell in love it didn't go so well. But you know this pony, right?"

"Yeah."

"If he's treated you good enough as just a friend, and if your other friends trust he won't hurt you enough to risk telling him themselves, then I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about."

"How do you know Melody?" Rainbow asked, wiping her eyes.

"I don't. I just know that whatever happens, your other friends will support you. Besides, if you know this stallion well enough, he probably won't do anything to hurt you." I said, then laughed. "But...I mean, you probably shouldn't be taking advice from me, I've never had a romantic interest in my life."

Rainbow snorted in amusement, and I blushed.

"Either way, you're great at giving advice. Thanks Melody. You know, you're a pretty good teacher's assistant." Rainbow smiled, and I looked away.

"Oh, I'm just trying to help. And...you can call me Mel if you want. All my close friends do, and since you said I can use your first name..."

"Mel it is then." Rainbow grinned, and I saw movement outside the window. "Oh, they're here!"

"Why don't you go now? I bet you don't get much time to hang out with them."

"True. But a teacher's work is never done." She beckoned to the still messy room.

"I can finish cleaning if you want."

"Well...okay. Thanks Melody." Rainbow lifted off and opened the window.

"What about the door?" I asked, and Rainbow glanced out.

"Uh, well, Twi and the others don't know I'm going flying with them..."

I took that to mean they also don't know about her crush. Now it makes more sense why she asked if I could keep secrets. I just thought she didn't want the other students finding out because it would make her seem girly or something. Nevertheless, I nodded.

"Say no more. Have fun Professor."

"Thanks Melody, I owe you one!" Rainbow called as she flew out of the window and towards the three Pegasi in the air.

It was Spitfire Flare, Soarin Skies, and Fleetfoot. Figures she'd be friends with the three top Wonderbolts. Professor Dash is the fastest Pegasus in Equestria.

"Wait...if Professor Dash said she had a crush on a stallion...and Soarin Skies is the only stallion in the group, then does that mean..." I gasped and couldn't help giggling.

"Melody? What's so funny? Wait, where's Rainbow Dash?" Headmare Twilight asked, entering.

"Oh, she...had some business to take care of. She'll be back soon Headmare Twilight." I assured her.

"She had better be. But as long as you're here Melody, I could use some help sorting the student files."

"Oh, sure Headmare Twilight. Just let me finish up here." I grabbed up the last few things, placing the sport supplies in the appropriate bins and the apple core I found in the trash. "Okay, let's go."

Headmare Twilight smiled approvingly at the clean classroom, then led me out.