• Published 31st Jan 2020
  • 3,189 Views, 459 Comments

The Master Mev - kazamacat



Rainbow Dash becomes a master magic-eating vampire, forms her pack, and works on managing magic with her new role. Friends help out of course. It's actually kinda awesome, all things considered.

  • ...
8
 459
 3,189

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 85 - Reputable


In a classroom, Flam magically levitated a substantial stack of papers to Starswirl the Bearded.

Starswirl magically levitated a bit to offer. "These lessons are so valuable," he said. "Are you sure I can't give you more?"

"Ah ah ah!" Flam said with a smile where he stood next to his grinning brother.

Flim was seated at the teacher's desk for the classroom.

Flam continued, "Unnecessary. Being able to share them with a pony like you is our real reward."

At that, Starswirl contentedly left the room.

A unicorn pony who had been standing behind Starswirl offered a bit as well. He had a light brown mane and wore a sweatshirt.

The attitude of the brothers suddenly shifted. "Oh my," said Flam with disapproval. "And you want to study alongside Starswirl, hm?"

The pony averted his gaze before confessing, "It's all I have."

Flam accepted the bit, magically levitated a worksheet to the pony and ripped it in half.

The student pony pouted.

"Come back for the rest when you can afford it," Flim said to him.

The pony fell to a prone position and begged. "Wait! I'll sell the shirt off my back!"

The twins were now pleased to hear such a desperate offer. "That's the kind of determination that'll get you to the next level, student whose name I know," Flam said.

The unicorn student received the other half and smiled hugely in relief.

The Awesomevs and Chrysalis all peered into the room to witness the whole debacle with the student. They quickly walked away before the twins could see them.

"Twilight, maybe I should take over the investigation," Rarity offered. "Think of your reputation!"

"My reputation isn't worth much if I won't risk it for what I think is right," Twilight replied. She smiled slyly and added, "Besides, I have a plan."


Flim and Flam walked together with a bag of bits in tow to their office.

Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash stealthily followed them.

The unicorn twins opened a secret passage to a large area with loads of bits piled everywhere.

Flam happily dumped the bag into a large pile and slid down a ladder with a big smile, landing near Flim. They both stood at the image of a painted thermometer.

"Well, brother of mine," Flim said, "we've got almost all the bits we need to expand our resort. If we add another level of classes and worksheets, we'll be there."

Flam walked toward a small model of their resort and replied, "Maybe we should add two levels, just to be safe." He tapped a red button, and the model powered up to spin a Ferris wheel. Spotlights lit up, and a mini water fountain poured water.

"Ah! It's a thing of beauty. But I was thinking, what if we added another extreme pool slide here?" Flim pondered aloud. He magically lifted a blue flag and set it down at the indicated spot.

"Sure, as long as the pipes for the musical chocolate fountain go through here," Flam agreed, planting a similar flag for his idea.

Twilight's voice carried over as she lifted a hoof. "But shouldn't it go closer to the pudding hot tub here?"

"Fair point, but – " one of the brothers started to say. He paused in thought, and blinked. Both brothers looked over in shock.

"What?" they said at the same time.

A disapproving Twilight Sparkle met their gaze. "I knew your school was a scam," she told them.

Rainbow Dash hovered behind her with a cross expression of her own and folded forelimbs, ready to act if necessary.

"Well, well, well," Flim put on his best voice of confidence despite evident perspiration at the sight of Rainbow Dash. "If it isn't the Princess of Jealousy. I guess we'll be going to the papers after all."

Rainbow flew down into his face. "Just you try it," she told him icily.

"I suppose we'll just lead your students into this secret room of bits and resort expansion plans!" Twilight added.

Flim backed away from Rainbow Dash to stand by his brother. They both grew all the more nervous.

"Let's not get hasty," Flam said. "You have something on us; we have something on you. Let's just call it even."

"I don't think so. You can destroy my reputation if you want, but using your students' bits to expand your resort is wrong, even if the lessons you teach are good ones," Twilight replied.

"Of course, they're good," Flam boasted. He began to magically lift a large stack of sheets in a wide folder. "We copied them from your book."

"Plagiarism too?" Rainbow asked in disbelief. She turned to Twilight. "And you didn't notice?"

Twilight shrugged.

"We just skipped every other page," Flim added to the conversation. "All the lessons, half the time!"

Rainbow became thoughtful and pondered if that was why Twilight didn't notice the plagiarism.

Twilight groaned. "Fine. If you really want to call it even, give back the bits and stop charging for my lessons. Then you can teach them as much as you like."

The brothers looked stunned for a moment before saying, "Nah," at the same time.

"Running a school is more work than we thought," Flim admitted. "Besides, we almost have everything we need."

They made a dash for the door that suddenly, magically opened to reveal Rarity still in disguise and Chrysalis still in her pony form.

"I think not!" Rarity said dramatically.

"Plainity?" asked a surprised Flam. "My star pupil?"

"Not Plainity, but…" Rarity said in a lower voice as she led into her usual higher tone to reveal herself as, "Rarity!"

"Who?" Flim wondered.

Chrysalis stepped aside discretely.

Rarity continued with her dramatic revelation. "We decided to bring somepony else here to listen to everything you just said!"

Starswirl himself stepped forward.

"Hey Starswirl. We were just about to—" Flim started to say.

"Return the bits you've collected from your students and close your school?" Starswirl finished for him.

Flam gulped and said, "Yeah. That."


Outside the closed school, Flim and Flam stood by a cart full of bits with guilty expressions as they returned the money to their former students. Rarity stood near to oversee the whole thing.

At a distance along the stairs, Twilight stood between Starswirl to her right and Chrysalis to her left. Rainbow hovered behind the space between Twilight and Chrysalis.

Starswirl sighed. "Ah, it seems I'll never stop learning from your example, Twilight. It is a valuable lesson to stand up for what you know is true." He thoughtfully stroked his beard. "I wish I had known it as well."

He glanced to the hovering nearby pegasus. "And Master Rainbow Dash, I see now what you see in offering such support that you did. Twilight is very lucky to be in the company of such good friends as you three."

"I am not her friend," Chrysalis corrected him. "But she is lucky I was here nonetheless, and I certainly learned a thing or two about the decisions an alicorn princess is faced with when her reputation is on the line. It's not all adoration and roses and unending love or respect for standing by idly."

Starswirl nodded in quiet agreement. "Are you really so against being friends with such a pony?" he wondered.

Chrysalis sighed with s slight smile. "No, I'm not. Alright fine. We're-friends-if-she-says-we're-friends." She slurred her last set of words together as closely as she could. "That's just two mind you," she told him firmly and looked up to see an approving smile and nod from Rainbow Dash.

Twilight smiled. "I hope one day you realize the more the merrier Chrysalis, but for today, I would be honored to be your second friend. I really am grateful for your help."

"Yes, well...you're welcome," Chrysalis said with subdued pride.

"I'm sorry we missed the roller coaster Rainbow," Twilight noted.

Rainbow had descended to stand near her friend. "Hey, it's cool. I doubt it could measure up to riding Blitz in the ocean or on Nightmare Night anyway. Plus, this, you know, feels pretty good," Rainbow said.

"Thanks for returning our bits," a former student remarked, "but how are we going to learn about friendship now?"

Disappointed murmurs passed through the gathering of many former students.

"Well, I can refer you to a fairly reputable establishment just outside of Ponyville," Starswirl offered.

"We're outside of Ponyville?" Rainbow asked. "Since when? I thought we were on the edge but still technically considered in."

Twilight smiled and shrugged, not overly concerned with such a detail.

Starswirl nonetheless continued, "I'm quite certain the headmare would consider letting you in."

At that, Twilight giggled in agreement and nodded her head.

The ponies of Las Pegasus cheered.


Upon returning to Ponyville, Rarity and Twilight told Rainbow and Chrysalis they both wanted to wrap some things up at the school. Rainbow decided to escort Chrysalis back to the castle.

"I don't suppose the Master Mev wishes to be her dragon form this Monday?" Chrysalis lightly remarked, still in her unicorn disguise as they entered the lobby. Despite being in the castle, she felt a strange desire to keep it on for the time being. "Spike told me it is when you are most freely able to do it."

"Oh he did, huh? I suppose I never told him not to tell anyone and have told certain other friends myself," Rainbow considered aloud. "I actually wore it a little earlier today. But still...sure, why not? You like it; I like it."

With that, she transformed in an instant and rose up into the air with a playful spin. A devilish idea entered her mind, and she swooped Chrysalis into her arms before zipping down the hall.

Chrysalis nearly protested but gave into the moment with a smile. Sure, she could fly if she simply shifted into her true form, but she could enjoy the embrace and the wind whipping against her body in Rainbow' Dash's scaly arms.

Rainbow found Chrysalis' room and set her down. "Master escort has arrived!" she decreed with a playful tone.

Chrysalis uncharacteristically giggled. "You are a silly mare, Rainbow Dash. Well, dragon. Mev. Whatever. You know what I mean."

"Hmm. The former queen of the changelings can't name my true form? How intriguing," Rainbow said with a mischievous chuckle.

Chrysalis smirked. "Can you?"

"Of course I can. All of the above!" Rainbow declared, reclining in the air, resting her arms against the back of her head. "Master privilege."

Chrysalis chuckled in turn. "A silly master then since you love your title so much."

"Music to my ears," Rainbow said with a pleased smile, and her eyes fully closed.

A sudden shriek alarmed her. She opened her eyes as she said, "Chryssy, what's wrong?"

Chrysalis had at last decided the time was appropriate to shift back to her true form, but her true form shocked her. Her black skin was replaced with a light yellow. Her usual stringy green mane was a mix of orange and gold. "My, my form…" Chrysalis uttered.

Rainbow landed to the ground, took a deep breath, and examined it. "Not acceptable?" she asked in concern.

Chrysalis exhaled. "It just took me by surprise, Master."

"You should take a closer look in the mirror. See if you like it after all," Rainbow suggested.

"Good idea," Chrysalis agreed.

Rainbow stayed to watch Chrysalis do exactly that.

The tall changeling blinked and shifted back and forth between her former true form and her current new default. The new one could easily pass for an alicorn without a cutie mark if it weren't for the butterfly wings on her back. It was rather funny. There she had been debating with Rainbow Dash about the master mev's "true" form, and here Chrysalis' own was in the midst of changing, provided Chrysalis herself liked it well enough. Of course, she could simply go back to her old default whenever, so was it really that much of a change?

Rainbow circled around the room in a hopeful hover.

At last, Chrysalis eventually declared, "This is also acceptable." She transformed back into her old default and explained, "I'll be in this form until we can properly inform the others. And I do still like it too."

"Cool. I can go tell Twilight now since she's still at the school and check in with her and Rarity on everything." Rainbow offered.

Chrysalis smiled and bowed her head politely. "As you wish, Master."

Rainbow gave her a quick hug. "I'm happy for you, Chryssy."

At that, Chrysalis blushed. "You best be going," she whispered.

The sky blue dragon gave a salute and instantly flashed back into a pegasus before leaving her colorful trail behind.


At her office once again, Twilight read to Rarity and Rainbow Dash aloud, "'Of course, if I ever go to a school again, I'll make sure it's yours. In friendship, Starswirl.'"

Rarity put a hoof up to her chin in thought. "I still don't understand how Flim and Flam could have gotten a copy of your book. It's not exactly on sale."

Cozy Glow opened the door and informed the teachers, "I finished straightening up in the library. Professor Rarity, I just wanted to make sure you're definitely keeping these."

"But of course, darling," Rarity said with an air of certainty. "If there's one thing I learned at Friendship University, it is not to give up when you know what's right, and I know teaching friendship through sewing is right! I just need to figure out how."

Cozy and Twilight both nodded and smiled at the same time.

"Say Cozy," Rainbow said, "did you send Twilight's book to Flim and Flam?"

Cozy put a hoof to her chin innocently and blinked. "Why would I do a thing like that?"

Rainbow shrugged. "Beats me, but you do have the kind of access to Twilight's stuff for that to happen. Between myself, the other teachers, Starlight, the interns, and Spike, well, you're sort of an unknown for me. You're in the best position to do it, so to speak."

Both Twilight and Rarity blinked at that and looked at Cozy intently.

Cozy sweat nervously. "Oh Professor Dash, you get the funniest ideas in your head." She laughed.

Rarity squinted at that. "It's a simple yes or no question, dear."

At that, Cozy's eyes darted all the more. "Yes, okay, but I just…I thought if anyone could popularize your work Headmare Twilight, it would be them. I thought they might not be scammers about it since the resort in Las Pegasus is a legitimate business. now You do want your ideas spread far and wide, right?"

Twilight sighed. "That's all well and good, Cozy, but for things like that, you should just ask me straight up about such ideas."

Cozy stared at the floor with a forlorn look. "You're right. I'm really sorry."

"It's fine. It all worked out in the end," Twilight told her with a proud smile.


Later that evening, not far outside the door to Rainbow Dash's home, a portal opened and out stepped Chancellor Neighsay, Starswirl the Bearded, Flim, and Flam.

"I'm telling you, something is not right with her," Flim said indignantly. "Her eyes turned red!"

"And I'm telling you that she's something called a 'mev'. She can do that. She eats magic. We're practically offering up a four-course meal here!"

"Well, you didn't have to come," Flam noted in annoyance.

"Maybe not, but I actually don't mind if she eats my magic. It's for a good cause. Plus, somepony has to warn you three. You really are better off not disturbing her. But so long as you are, for me, there is something of a natural curiosity to her manner at night. I want to see nocturnivlair in action. It all sounds very interesting and...somewhat amusing."

"Hmph," Neighsay muttered. "She's a nuisance, if anything. I can't fully trust your opinion after the stunt you pulled today."

"They were scamming the students!" Starswirl told him indignantly.

Before Neighsay could argue back, a door opened. Sweetie Belle greeted them in her adult form. "My my, what is this? Did I hear something of an offering for my master?"

Flim and Flam nervously glanced at each other. The white unicorn hand fangs as she spoke, but she was clearly not Rainbow Dash.

Neighsay smugly smiled at her, unfazed. "We figured we would 'scout' and 'investigate' this master mev creature, since she felt it quite alright to do at the university today."

Sweetie Belle innocently blinked at him, then smiled back. "Such information has cost another pony magic before and may cost you as well, though only for a week. Are you certain you wish to do that?"

Neighsay walked past her into the cloud house. "I'm aware of this legend, but seeing as how mevs have not been around since before Equestria was founded, you'll excuse me if I remain a little...skeptical."

A large silver snake slithered along, causing Neighsay to jump back in alarm. "Aah!"

A red circle appeared around his hooves. He glanced down at it with a stern expression, and it soon faded.

That didn't stop Flam from jumping into this brother's forelimbs. A red circle appeared around them too, but they were busy watching the scene unfold.

Starswirl studied the creature in interest.

"I mean, it's not like it would be hard to prove," Rainbow said, descending down in full vampire firm with red eyes, bat wings, and the usual fangs at night.

Blitz mocked a bite near Neighsay and chuckled before slithering away.

Neighsay glared up at her. "I'm aware that magic can sometimes allow ponies limited shape-shifting abilities. And that bat wings over pegasus wings for Nightmare Night is entirely doable."

Rainbow nodded. "Hmm, I suppose you have a point there."

She noticed Flim and Flam. Her eyes lit up and glowed for a moment, licking her lips. "I'll have you two for certain."

"Um, you know what, on second thought, maybe we should get out of here," Flim said. Flam jumped out of his arms. They were about to bolt for the door but realized they were stuck.

Nonetheless, Sweetie Bell had already closed it, blocking their way. She stood by it and told them, "You were already warned when you entered here."

"Starswirl?" Flam asked.

"Master mevs don't have to ask at night. I tried to tell you both!" Starswirl reminded them in annoyance.

"Well, can't you do something about it?! Magic is your specialty, and she's a friend of Twilight Sparkle who idolizes you," Flim pointed out.

"Hmph. I already warned you and so did this uh..." Starswirl turned the white unicorn.

"Rhezenda," Sweetie told him.

"Rhezenda," he repeated in agreement.

"Chancellor Neighsay, help us out here. We can use your magic portal thingy!" Flim exclaimed. "Right?"

"Hmph. Not yet. These are still probably mere parlor tricks. She is toying with us."

"I am toying with you, yes, but I am a legitimate threat too. Tread carefully sir. My instincts tell me you're about to make a big mistake."

Neighsay rolled his eyes. "Oh please."

Starswirl's eyes suddenly widened, his own instincts agreeing with the master mev's. "Don't—"

"Do your worst," Neighsay told her with an arrogant sneer.

Rainbow's eyes suddenly turned completely red, and she took on her dragon form in an instant.

Sweetie Belle's mouth hung open in deep concern. She had never seen this happen in their time together. "Master?"

"I am fine, Rhezenda. It is my victim who has sealed his fate," Rainbow said, sounding like she herself was in a trance.

Sweetie Belle suddenly came to a realization. "Oh!"

"What? What is it?" Flam asked her.

Sweetie Belle swallowed nervously. "When a mev eats magic, it's only gone for a week."

They both sighed in relief. "That's right. You told us that."

"....unless somepony says something like that," Rhezenda added.

"Well then what?" both brothers asked in concern.

The dragon lunged and quickly bit into Neighsay's neck without further warning. Neighsay himself had only watched the conversation, still not fully believing in the danger...until now. The vampire drank in his magic and found it quite tasty. He fell, and she let him. She had no wish to be gentle with a stallion so spiteful. She wiped her mouth before smiling wickedly. "All of it is mine forever now."

The unicorn brothers looked at each other. "Now, see here, he did not speak for us!" Flam insisted.

"We're okay with the one-week deal!" Flim added.

Rainbow turned to them and stared intently. At last, she nodded in approval. "I accept." She turned to Starswirl. "I may need your assistance regarding him."

Starswirl nodded sympathetically. "He was warned, more than once. True hubris if I ever saw it. I will relay what transpired here to the princesses as your witness."

"They know what I am, so there's that too," Rainbow noted.

"That will help, no doubt. Now am I to understand you will eat my magic as well?"

"As much as I would like...only if you wish it. We are on good terms compared to these other three. Plus, maybe things won't look so bad if I spare you tonight."

Starswirl chuckled. "I really wouldn't worry about it, Master. However, to help these other three home and general assistance for a time, perhaps I can offer myself later."

"I look forward to it, then," she told him with a respectful smile.

"I have so many questions...the snake, this dragon form. Perhaps you will tell me about it then too."

Rainbow smiled. "Gladly." She turned to Flim and Flam. "Come on you two, I'll make it pleasant enough," she offered. "One at a time, I don't like being watched while I eat...usually." She nodded over to Neighsay's fallen form.

After Rainbow tended to them both, Sweetie Belle greeted her in the living room.

"So...everything's going to be okay?" the Rhezenda asked with a hint of apprehension.

"Well, not for Neighsay, but I think besides that, yeah," Rainbow acknowledged.

"I have heard some very not nice things about him from some students at school. He mistreats non-pony creatures."

"He does," Rainbow agreed with a serious nod. She looked at Sweetie Belle. "Starswirl will handle it. I trust him. Way, way back, when I first turned into a master mev, we all wondered if I could take a pony's magic forever, like Tirek can. Tirek himself even hinted at the ability when I saw him in Tartarus. So...now we know...yes, I can do it...if I am invited to. That is my 'worst' as a master mev."

Author's Note:

Discord | Patreon


The last scene with the whole, "Do your worst" bit is a very late addition to this final draft though I've had it as an idea for a good long while. I thought of having Chrysalis being the one to say it when she first appeared but obviously went a different route.

So anyway, yeah, I wanted to have some revenge myself on Neighsay in general and love Dragon Rainbow Dash a lot, so here we go. The extended wait for this chapter is largely because I really wanted to do this picture for this chapter, but it's obviously harder than closely mimicking an existing screenshot, which is what most chapter pictures are. This one still uses a screenshot for reference but required a lot of fiddling with the wings, tail, foot claws, etc.

I confess I also started playing Persona 4 Golden on PC. I've played it before on PlayStation TV and am getting much more into it all over again than I thought I would. Oh well. I'm still trying to make time for getting this fanfic done by the end of the year.

That's enough rambling from me. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I know I did.


Promoting other works of mine:

My Vampire Companion

Utaan: Chapter 42 - Loyalty's Never Gone For Long (Audiobook Reading)

The Master Mev Audiobook (Chapters 1-16)

PreviousChapters Next