• Published 31st Jan 2020
  • 3,154 Views, 459 Comments

The Master Mev - kazamacat



Rainbow Dash becomes a master magic-eating vampire, forms her pack, and works on managing magic with her new role. Friends help out of course. It's actually kinda awesome, all things considered.

  • ...
8
 459
 3,154

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 81 - New Things


"Good morning, everypony," Princess Celestia said to Twilight and her fellow teachers for the School of Friendship. She greeted them in Twilight's office on Wednesday.

Two pegasi guards brought in a chest before bowing and leaving the room.

Celestia used magic to open the chest and revealed six objects of interest that contained magic. "These are the crown of King Grover from Griffonstone, the Talisman of Mirage from the Changeling Kingdom, and the cloak of Clover the Clever from here in Equestria. We also have the Amulet of Aurora from Mount Aris, Knuckerbocker's shell from the Dragonlands, and the helm of Yiksler from Yakyakistan."

The first two items were ones Rainbow Dash had heard about in her travels to their respective originating kingdoms since becoming a master mev.

"Are you feeding us or something?" Applejack asked Celestia though she didn't sound like she believed it.

Celestia chuckled pleasantly, "No, I'm afraid not, Applejack. These magical artifacts were entrusted to Equestria as a means of friendship from the other kingdoms. I would like to give them to the school since they represent students from each of the kingdoms who attend here. There is no need to reserve their magic or make a back up since they are ours to keep. The magic in them is to stay fully intact as it already is."

The fledglings all looked at Rainbow Dash to see their master confirm this truth. Rainbow nodded with closed eyes before opening them to assure her pack, "We must listen to Princess Celestia on this matter."

Twilight examined the artifacts. "They're already covered in one of our books, so this would help me with my class. I could make it fun with a scavenger hunt and call it a spellvenger hunt."

"I think that is an excellent idea," Celestia told her.

"Oh, can you help me with the prize? How about a personal tour with you of the Canterlot Archives?" Twilight asked with a hopeful smile.

"I would be more than happy to do that for your class," Celestia agreed with a respectful and happy nod.


That night at the gym, Ocellus was relieved to see Rainbow Dash. The other students were with her. After the usual brief reunion with Grant, Ocellus asked, "How did you trip to the Changeling Kingdom go, Master?"

"Awesome," Rainbow Dash replied proudly. "The whole kingdom welcomed all of us together, even Queen Chrysalis."

Ocellus looked at her friends and then at Rainbow Dash. "Did you say 'Queen Chrysalis'?"

"Yeah, long story. I really can't tell you much besides the fact that we're friends now, and she's a client of mine," Rainbow admitted. "Team Awesome is doing our best to look out for her and help her out."

"Master Rainbow Dash, I really don't think that's wise. Chrysalis can't be trusted. She's probably lying to you and just waiting for the right moment to strike," the young changeling said worriedly.

"A fair suspicion to have," the master mev agreed, "but my business is my business. I'm glad you're looking out for me though, my dear student."

"Master," Gallus said quite seriously, "you can be manipulated. You're not infallible."

"And how would you know?" Rainbow asked with an evil, playful smile.

Gallus face-palmed at the frustrating nocturnivlair.

She laughed mischievously and went back to talking about her visit. "Here, I've got something to show you all. Check this out."

She reached into somewhere in her body, and held out her cell phone with her wing.

"What's that?" Ocellus asked.

"It's called a 'cell phone'. It uses remote communication. I can press a button of the servant I want to talk to based on their cutie mark, and their cell phone answers, provided I am calling about pack business. Mev magic has rules based on conserving magic after all," Rainbow explained.

"So we can't see it in action?" Smolder asked and sounded disappointed.

"No, my visits with you all are not an actual job for my pack. It's just a little something I like to do to develop our friendship bond," the mev confessed.

The students blushed with modest smiles.

"You made this with changeling magic?" Ocellus asked.

"Yes," Rainbow confirmed.

"How come you can show it to us if you can't make a call?" Silverstream wondered.

"That's standard magic for all of us in all the land. Some books call it 'cartoon logic.' We've got what you might call a pocket dimension where objects we carry do not appear until necessary. It's how you can pull a book out of thin air," Rainbow reminded her.

"Oh, I never realized we do that," Silverstream noted thoughtfully.

"We don't even think of it as magic, especially because it's not consistent. There are times we have to carry an object without the pocket dimension nonetheless," Rainbow informed the young hippogriff. "It depends on our story."

The students chattered quietly at that realization.

"Chrysalis knows you have these?" Ocellus inquired with concern.

"She even helped," Rainbow informed her.

"How are you not worried about that? She could have done something to them," the changeling pointed out.

"I know," Rainbow answered, "but you're going to have to entrust my team with our approach on the matter. It is still my business. Celestia gave Luna and Discord a second chance if I must remind you."

Ocellus nodded. "Anything else from your visit?"

"I performed a Sonic Rainboom," Rainbow announced proudly.

The students giggled.

"The other changelings were quite interested in our limited shape-shifting abilities," she continued.

"Oh, yes, of course. It's what we do, so it's nice to see it in similar magic," Ocellus agreed with a smile. "Is there anything you can do that I didn't see on Nightmare Night?"

"Yup," Rainbow answered. "I can change my filly servants to adult forms, and I myself can turn into a dragon on Mondays. Sunday was close enough with the service to a client to do it then. We're too far from both the day and the service for me to do it here."

"You can turn into a dragon!?" Smolder repeated.

Rainbow nodded with a quiet smile and blushed.

"Well, can you stop by some Monday night so we can see it?" Smolder prodded.

Rainbow hesitated. "I'm usually busy Monday nights. Just catch me during a free moment at school during the day. Just like old times." She winked in recollection of the first fear snare with them.

Smolder nodded.

"You have more filly servants?" Ocellus realized. "So that one that was thinking about it decided to join you?"

"That she did," Rainbow admitted.

"One of the other Crusaders?" Gallus wondered.

"Yes," the master mev confirmed.

"Which one?" Silverstream asked.

"Well, Scootaloo was the one I was talking about then, but actually, Apple Bloom serves me as well by this point," Rainbow informed them all.

"Why Master have so many servants? Fillies small," Yona noted.

"Because I am a master, and each have a service they wish to provide," Rainbow's eyes lit to red for a moment.

Yona felt chills down her spine. She recalled when Silverstream, Ocellus, and Gallus described such behavior. It was from when Rainbow first told them about Sweetie Belle being her servant.

"Plus, she just said she can make them bigger," Gallus pointed out.

"What else from the Changeling Kingdom happened, Master Dash?" Ocellus was finally ready to get back to the topic of her homeland.

"I have said that which I'm willing to say," Rainbow replied.

"Yakyakistan next?" Yona asked with a hint of hope.

"Team Awesome and then some are headed there on Saturday," Rainbow confirmed.

"Yaks not have much magic," Yona reminded her.

"You know what I just realized," Rainbow said to them with a smile. "Maybe I can't show you a phone call, but I can show you something quite convenient from these things."

They looked at her, intrigued.

Rainbow pressed a few buttons until a picture of a flower appeared.

"That teal star lily," Yona said.

"Any tips on how we might find them?" Rainbow asked.

"They rare," the young yak explained. "Find at cave fronts. Why master mev want flower?"

"Business," Rainbow replied simply.

The visit ended soon as the students still needed more sleep than the master mev.


On Thursday afternoon, Rainbow Dash hovered high as she examined the books in the school library. She sensed someone watching her from the floor. She turned her head and looked down to see a very curious Cozy Glow. The petite filly said nothing, only looking up in silent wonder, so Rainbow returned to examining the books.

"Are you looking for something, Professor Dash?" Cozy Glow asked.

"Nothing in particular," Rainbow noted. "Just anything that sparks my interest."

Cozy looked side to side to make sure no one was watching their talk. "Professor Dash, are you really a vampire?"

"I am," Rainbow answered nonchalantly, still examining the books. It would be hard to hide such a fact after Nightmare Night, even from a new filly in town.

"And no one has a problem with that?" gasped Cozy Glow.

Rainbow Dash chuckled. "I'm a bit different than what most creatures expect when they hear that word."

Cozy again looked around to make sure no one was watching them. "A mev?"

"Yup," Rainbow answered with a proud smile, this time looking at Cozy directly.

"Are there any books about mevs?" the young filly asked.

"I've only ever found one. It's called Mevs: An Explanation." Rainbow Dash darted away momentarily and returned, holding the book. "The school has a copy," she offered.

Cozy fluttered up closer to look at the red-bound book. She took it from Rainbow's hooves and read the first paragraph. She looked at Rainbow Dash. "You're a master type?"

"I am," Rainbow answered again with pride.

"The other teachers are fledglings?" Cozy asked.

"Haha, my lips are sealed on that one," Rainbow replied even though undoubtedly Cozy must have known it was on full display at the show for Nightmare Night. Nonetheless, Rainbow added, "And indeed, that is the extent of what I will say on this matter. I don't tell everyone everything. That means you too."

"Surely you can tell me something," Cozy pleaded. "Is this your separate job? Apple Bloom and Scootaloo said Sweetie Belle assists you with something but wouldn't say what. This must be it."

Rainbow smiled at Cozy, folding her forelimbs. "Then what are you asking me for? Sounds like you've got it all figured out already, you clever filly." She gave the young pegasus a friendly wink.

Cozy blushed. She took the book and left to read it in full.


Students stood in the main entrance to the school and listened intently to Twilight Sparkle on Friday. Spike hovered nearby. Discord stood not far to Twilight's left. Further to Twilight's right and behind her, stood the crusaders. The other teachers of the school stood to the sides of the students among the listening audience. "For this afternoon's Spellvenger Hunt, you'll need to use the artifact's history to find where they're hidden in the castle," Twilight announced.

A purple magic aura projected the six items of interest and switched to a question mark.

"When you spot one, touch it with your magic shield to keep track of your score," Twilight continued.

An image of two ponies finding the Amulet of Aurora showed wrists with shields that lit up with a check mark.

"I've made a list of pairs, and Spike here will pass out the shields. A friend of ours, Discord," she gestured to the tall draconequus figure, "has also offered to make the game a little more interesting and more fun—something like a haunted house. Don't panic and just enjoy yourself like so many of you did on our show for Nightmare Night," Twilight urged. "Us teachers, Starlight, Spike, and Discord will be watching from the teachers' lounge, again thanks to Discord's help. Our intern assistants, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, will be wandering the halls to keep an eye on all of you and be available for any help you might need."

The students chattered with friendly hopeful murmurs as they received their magic shield wrist bands.

Twilight magically raised a gong and declared, "Ready. Set. Spellvenger Hunt!" as she used its rod to tap at the gong, making the initiating sound.

Smolder flapped her orange wings and flew next to Ocellus who already had a direction in mind. "I hope you know where you're going," the dragon said to her petite changeling friend.

"The helm of Yiksler," Ocellus said with certainty as she pointed her forelimb ahead.

"Eh, works for me," Smolder replied with a playful shrug and continued following.

The two approached a hallway lined with empty suits of armor along its walls.

"In our book, it says Yiksler was an honorable Yak warrior," Ocellus began to explain. "Any enemies that saw him put down their weapons in fear. I think this artifact must be in one of these suits of armor."

Smolder looked left, then right, lingering on the line to her right before dryly saying, "I'm guessing it's that one."

Ocellus was examining her book, looked up, and smiled.

They put their wrists up to its sides and received their check marks.

"Yes!" Ocellus said with excitement. "One down, five to go."

Smolder smiled proudly too and firmly clapped her hand against an offered hoof, accidentally knocking Ocellus down on her haunches. The young orange dragon helped her friend stand back up.

In the teachers' lounge, the group cheered at seeing two students find their first artifact.

"And now..." Discord said with an eager smile.

Ocellus and Smolder heard metal and glanced to the side to see the armored figure next to the one wearing the helm walk forward.

"Whoa," Smolder said.

It charged at them.

"Yikes!" Ocellus said as they cleared out of the way.

Satisfied, the armored figure returned to its station.

Smolder chuckled. Ocellus nervously laughed, but nonetheless, the two moved onto look for the next item.


Silverstream and Gallus walked side by side into the library.

"We're totally going to win this Spellvenger Hunt," Silverstream said confidently.

Gallus smirked and replied, "Yeah, I doubt that, but at least I have a good idea of where one of the artifacts is."

He led Silverstream to a wall with framed pictures of a yak, a griffon, and a hippogriff. Each wore one of the artifacts of interest and were presumably the original owners, Yiksler, King Grover, and Aurora. He lifted his magic shield to see two purple circles light up, indicating he was close. Gallus flew upward and approached. He spread his arms and gently pulled back the frame to reveal the crown in a rectangular hole, placed on a decorative stand.

"The crown of Grover!" Gallus informed his friend. "Score!"

The two students placed their wrists to its sides to receive their shield check marks.

Gallus continued to tell Silverstream, "They say it's magic, and King Grover used it to become the first ruler of Griffonstone." He landed on the floor with a proud smile.

Silverstream followed and smiled at him.

"I know. Pretty sweet, right?" he asked.

"You paid attention in class," Silverstream said with a sweet, admiring, and sly smile.

"What?" Gallus replied, startled. "If you ever tell anyone—"

The frame shut back on its own, drawing their attention to it. The face of Grover stretched out in a moan toward them.

"Whoa!" Gallus said, impressed.

"3D face thing!" Silverstream pointed with enthusiasm.

It stretched out as if to bite them before pulling back into its frame.

"Nice job, Discord," Gallus declared to the air before he and Silverstream moved on with their search.

From the teachers' lounge, Discord grinned in pride.

Soon after, Sandbar led Yona up a flight of stairs, explaining they were looking for Knuckerbocker's shell, which was like a sea shell, but if you blew into it, you called a dragon. He recited a poem and guessed it was up past the stairs. Yona was not sure, but she followed. The stairs raised to give her a little push upward with each step, and the yak student giggled. They found the shell hidden in a drawer of an end table, put it away, and continued.

The Spellvenger Hunt went on with random chaotic flair to the amusement of the students. In the end, Smolder and Ocellus won the hunt altogether.

PreviousChapters Next