• Published 31st Jan 2020
  • 3,183 Views, 459 Comments

The Master Mev - kazamacat



Rainbow Dash becomes a master magic-eating vampire, forms her pack, and works on managing magic with her new role. Friends help out of course. It's actually kinda awesome, all things considered.

  • ...
8
 459
 3,183

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 69 - Nightmare Night and After


Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo hovered next to each other watching over the fear snare ride Rainbow was providing to interested attendees. A familiar figure to them both approached.

"Well, here's someone I didn't expect to see," Rainbow Dash greeted Lightning Dust with a smile. She hovered down and landed to speak with the other mare. Scootaloo fluttered down to join her.

"Master Rainbow Dash." Lightning Dust smiled back. "You foiled my plot to tell the world about you. How could you?"

The two pegasi laughed, and Rainbow turned her attention back to the attraction she hosted.

"Lightning Dust? You knew?" Scootaloo asked uneasily.

"Hey kid," Lighting greeted her with a friendly air. "I found out the night before I left Ponyville. I was actually planning to talk to the master here about how I was out of line and I guess more properly apologize for what I put you through. I am sorry. Truly."

"Oh." Scootaloo's tension eased. "Apology accepted."

"So, what's why you were there," Rainbow noted in understanding, not looking at either of them.

"Then what happened instead?" Scootaloo asked.

Lightning Dust gestured to the snare rides. "That, for starters, only I didn't get a ride. She trapped me."

The mev chuckled mischievously. "I can take you for a spin now," she offered.

"Maybe in a bit," Lightning said.

"What else happened?" Scootaloo asked.

"I survived a vampire bite," Lightning said with an eager brag and a wink.

"Master, you ate her magic?" Scootaloo addressed Rainbow Dash.

"Yes, I did though not while she was trapped. We made an agreement. Magic for info. I gave her a copy of my book," Rainbow explained.

"I read the whole thing," Lightning Dust informed them. "Lucky you, huh?"

"I'm enjoying it," Rainbow Dash confirmed with a nod.

"So, the ride only works if you're scared?" Lightning nodded her head in the direction.

"Most nights that's true. Tonight's special. I can bypass that rule to set the initial trap. I like the part where a creature can free themselves after a thrill so have left it in. Ready to go?" the master mev offered.

"Bring it," Lightning Dust said. "And make it fast. You know what I like."

"The pleasure's all mine," Rainbow Dash replied with a gloating smile.

Lightning Dust's ride went faster than anyone else's since Rainbow Dash knew she could handle it. The aquamarine pegasus rival succeeded in releasing herself, at last satisfied that she understood the night of her visit that much better.

She bade farewell to the master mev with a friendly hoof bump and compliments to the show.


"I must say, that was exciting to watch," Princess Celestia told Twilight Sparkle as Twilight and Starlight Glimmer were shutting down their booth for their combined demonstration of light and dark.

Discord, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Spike, and Rarity had already left for the night to return to their respective homes. Applejack was with Scootaloo and Apple Bloom to wrap up everything else. The fillies were going to play for the rest of the night soon.

"The Fledgling of Light," Celestia said with another excited breath. "I must admit, as both your former teacher and the princess who raises the sun, it makes me rather proud."

"Thanks, Princess," Twilight said with a modest smile.

Princess Luna arrived and flew down to greet them. "An exquisite show. Well done. Natural elements. I do see such things in dreams myself."

Starlight walked up to the group, and Luna addressed her. "And here my substitute for those three nights is appropriately the Fledgling of Darkness. I know our relationship is not like Celestia's and Twilight's, but I am proud of you as well nonetheless, my friend."

"Oh thank you Princess Luna," Starlight replied with a sincere, respectful smile.

"The two of you must have a very special link," Celestia said.

"Yeah, it's pretty cool," Rainbow Dash's voice reached their ears.

All four ponies bowed. "Master."

Rainbow twitched in the air. "Wow. Now that's something I don't feel every night." She went on to properly bow in turn. "Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, I hope you enjoyed the show."

"We did, Master," Luna replied. "Is Princess Cadance alright?"

"She's sleeping soundly as expected and made arrangements with us, mainly Twilight, to handle the next three days. She'll recover just fine, I'm sure," Rainbow told them.

Sweetie Belle, temporarily back to her unicorn form after the show ended, walked up to the group next. "Well, the outsiders are clear, except of course the few of us who have a special status with you all."

"Can you tell us the general reaction, if they believed us overall or not?" asked a curious Starlight Glimmer.

"Mm-hmm, they believed us, and they were entertained. We impressed them with the natural elements of the world we live in, and it's time for everyone to move onto the next thing," Sweetie Belle answered. "Except of course for Thorax and Prince Rutherford due to how they were informed."

"Did anything come up with our titles?" Twilight wondered.

"Funny enough, the elements were kind of a diversion, especially with how I referred to you all in my closing statement after the song. I think even if they do address you in jest, it will more likely be by element than by the mev title Master gave you. But I do think you can expect at least a few of your students to try out your mev titles tomorrow," Sweetie Belle explained.

"That's alright then," Twilight said, and Starlight quietly nodded in agreement.

"Do you need me for anything else, Master?" Sweetie Belle inquired.

"No, Rhezenda. You are dismissed. Have fun with your friends," Rainbow said.

With a flash of red in her eyes, Sweetie Belle received her pegasus form once more.

"I see my nocturnality is being well used," Luna noted.

"And we thank you for it," Rainbow replied with a smile.

"Have you used my dream magic?" Luna openly wondered.

"Not yet; in fact, I was hoping maybe you could give me a lesson or some advice on how I might be able to use it," Rainbow answered.

"That would be a pleasure. Let's go over a few points now if you wish," Luna offered.

"Much appreciated," Rainbow said.

The two walked off together for the brief lesson.


The Cutie Mark Crusaders played together for most of the rest of the night. Scootaloo wanted to make the most of her fly time. Rainbow Dash eventually joined them so the two sisters could get some fun fly time in together since there was no telling their next chance before the hopeful success of Team Awesome's efforts.

They flew up. They flew down. Rainbow Dash demonstrated loops and quick dives. There were some advanced moves beyond Scootaloo's ability, such as how to glide both backwards and upside down. Rainbow increased the magic to let her experience them nonetheless.

As the master mev sensed the sunrise growing near, she warned Scootaloo it was time to stop. The younger pegasus fluttered down and gave her hug.

Nightmare Night ended. The sun began to rise.

The Crusaders went to prepare for school, and Rainbow Dash flew home for a quick stop to prepare for her day as well. She arrived, checked in on Tank, brushed her mane, and brushed her teeth. She was ready to leave when she felt a summon and immediately teleported into the library of Twilight's castle.

The master mev took a moment to understand where she was. She saw Twilight, who obviously cast the summon, and a smiling Princess Cadance.

"Oh Master, I hope you don't mind," Twilight said, "but this was just too good to wait on telling you."

Rainbow smiled with interest. "Tell me what?"

Twilight nodded at Cadance, and the pink alicorn smiled. Her magical aura lit up on her horn as she lifted a few books to demonstrate.

"Princess Cadance's magic is back early!" Twilight declared. "It's because of Nightmare Night, right? Or the show? Or both? Is it both?"

"Rexa, calm down," Rainbow said with an amused smile. "I'm certain it was both. That helps the whole show look like…well, a show."

"I knew it!" Twilight pranced in place. She gasped with wide eyes. "Maybe you could eat Princess Celestia's magic next Nightmare Night! Then she'd only have lost it for the one night too!"

"Whoa," Rainbow said, "let's not get ahead of ourselves. We don't know how long we get to be mevs, remember?"

"Oh, come on, you don't really think it's that limited, do you?" Twilight pointed out.

Rainbow sighed. "No, I don't, but I also don't want to think about next year's Nightmare Night until you know, it's actual month again. We go back to our other work now."

"Fine," said a disappointed Twilight.

Cadance giggled in amusement.

"I need to take care of the weather before school, so I'll be off. Cadance, I'll bring Amara to see you tomorrow," Rainbow said.

"I look forward to it," Cadance replied.


Rainbow Dash arrived at school for her first class of the day. The students looked at her with eager smiles. An aquamarine filly with a short orange mane and purple bow raised a hoof. The teacher called her name.

"Are you really a vampire?" the student asked.

Other students nodded to indicate how they wished to know the answer.

Rainbow raised an eyebrow with a devilish smirk. "What do you think?" she asked the student.

The young student nodded. "I think you are."

"She is not," a lavender colt argued. He looked to Rainbow Dash. "Are you?"

Rainbow chuckled mischievously. "Is it a problem if I am?" she asked.

He swallowed nervously. "No, Master," he caught himself saying on instinct.

Rainbow's eyes wandered to the other curious student brave enough to speak.

"No, Master," she agreed.

"We won't tell our parents if that's what you're getting at, Professor Dash," another student interjected. "None of them believe it."

The other students nodded.

"Fascinating," Rainbow replied.

"So, can you tell us?" the skeptical colt asked.

"I am a master magic-eating vampire," Rainbow said. "If you have any magic-related problems, you are welcome to come to me outside class hours though I recommend seeking help from unicorns you know first. That is all I will tell you regarding my status as the Master Mev. We must move on with our real class after all."

The students nodded, but the colt wanted more. "Could you prove it?"

"We are done with the topic," Rainbow reminded him and went on to teach class.


Friday afternoon arrived, and Rainbow Dash stopped by the clubhouse to check in on the Crusaders and make sure their school day went smoothly after they stayed up an entire night. She was quite surprised to see several items bunched together on the floor. One was a mug used for apple cider. Another was a barrel used to collect apples. There was also a flask and a copy of the journal Rainbow wrote with friends. The picture of Rainbow with Applejack and Rarity in jumpsuits that was usually mounted on the wall rested with the other items on the floor.

Apple Bloom herself sat on her haunches with a smile. "Master," she said. She was alone.

"Crusader Apple Bloom," Rainbow Dash greeted with the respectful title and bow of her head before gesturing with her hoof. "What's all this?"

"Oh, well...I was going to finally talk to you about officially becoming a servant of yours, and I was trying to think of what items I might be able to use if you were ready whenever I next saw you. The other two sensed you coming, so that's why they're not here. They suggested we talk now because you've already got plans both tomorrow and Sunday."

"Oh." Rainbow Dash brightened at the news. "What sort of service do you wish to offer?"

"It's about what you're expecting. I know you were joking, but I admit, I like the idea. I want to be the other Secret Service bodyguard with Scootaloo during the day, when I'm not busy with chores, family, and crusading. I think I could fit it in. And then, to add a little something to that and make it at least kinda different from Scootaloo's, I can be a gopher like how I helped out for Nightmare Night. When I'm not guarding you, I'll just do the extra stuff. Moving between point and A and B or whatever else you need...or is you know, convenient since I know I'm not needed really either, same as Scootaloo." She blushed. "I am doing it to spend time with my friends, Team Awesome and the Cutie Mark Crusaders. That ain't no secret."

Rainbow Dash nodded. "That's all well and good, but it is still real servitude. You must answer to a master. You're mine, just like all the others."

Apple Bloom blushed again. "I know, but I almost feel left out not being there. I was kinda nervous about it when Sweetie told us on her first offering herself, but honestly, it has worked out great for you both. If we find something awesome out of this between you and me, all the better. I know I'm not as close to you as either of my Crusader friends or Applejack or Rarity, but you and I are friends. I know that's true, and that it's important to you for this type of thing."

"It is," Rainbow agreed.

"Are those terms uh...good?" Apple Bloom asked.

"They are," the master mev said. "I accept your offer."

Apple Bloom breathed a sigh of relief. "Applejack's probably just outside since my friends went to fetch her in case you accepted. Do you think we can do the bond...now? I know it might take a long time since I'm an earth pony."

Rainbow Dash glanced out the door to see that indeed Applejack stood at the bottom of the steps with an interested smile. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo stood with her. "Come on up," she invited them.

"Master accepted my offer," Apple Bloom announced eagerly, as they all entered.

"I knew she would," Applejack said gently.

"Did you talk to her about a title?" Scootaloo reminded her friend.

"Oh, no, I forgot," Apple Bloom confessed. "Master, do I need one?"

"No. My other bodyguard does not have one, and like her, you will be on the outer edges of the circle," Rainbow explained. "Unless of course, you have one picked out."

"Nothing that I really liked. I'm already enjoying my current 'Crusader' title whenever you say it," the red-maned filly noted.

"Then no mev bond title," Rainbow agreed.

"So, can we do the bond today?" Apple Bloom asked to confirm.

"Yes," Rainbow told her. "First question. Do you have a ready-made pit here on the farm?"

Applejack and Apple Bloom nodded.

"And it can fit the two of you at once with these items?" Rainbow wondered.

The two sisters nodded again.

"I need to stop by the house to get the crown," Rainbow informed them. "Apple Bloom, you get situated in the pit. Take all of this," she gestured at the items," and set them just like you were when I entered the clubhouse. Due to the nature of our friendship bond and you being an earth pony, it's actually a good idea to use a collection like this. That will combine into a magic stream that will enter my crown."

"Should Applejack be with me?" Apple Bloom asked.

"If you want her company, and I'm not back yet, sure. The magic won't know where to go until it has the target we intend to use. It's going to work like what I did with Scootaloo. Your sister will be with you, a touch of some kind would help. The magic will gather into the crown. I'll eat from it, direct it back to the crown, and then Applejack holds you while it finds its way back to you. It will probably aim for your hooves since that's what touches the earth most or the cutie mark since that's a concentrated magical point of your body and part of our bond with each other," the master mev explained.

"Oh that's right," Apple Bloom lit up with a smile. "You're the one who gave me the idea to just start trying things out before we even made a group."

Rainbow Dash smiled at the reminder and flew away. Everything went as planned and expected when the master mev returned. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo stayed above the pit to keep Apple Bloom company and chat. The collection of items created a stream of magic that entered the crown. Instead of thirty minutes, it took sixty. The master mev ate Apple Bloom's magic from the crown, channeled it back, and the stream took thirty minutes to eventually reach the cutie mark on the earth pony filly's flank. Applejack stayed with her sister the entire time. The touch of choice was simply a hoof to the younger sister's backside.

With the magic exchanged, Rainbow Dash, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo helped them out. Rainbow did a quick test run to give Apple Bloom an adult form and switched her back soon after.

"Do I get any kind of extra magic like Sweetie does?" Apple Bloom asked. "Scootaloo said she was able lift herself more than usual when we went to your house on Monday."

"Is that so?" Rainbow looked at her little sister with a smile.

Scootaloo nodded. "Is it too much to hope that it would happen if you don't find a cure for me? Like, if enough time passes? I get flight through our mev bond instead. It would be magic to offset the wing size like how Bulk Biceps does."

Rainbow Dash gave it some thought. "If it does, it would still operate similarly to now. The flight would be in service to me and my work since that is the purpose of the mev bond."

Sweetie Belle nodded to confirm from personal experience. "I can't just draw and bend anything I feel like."

"Well, it would be better than nothing," Scootaloo figured.

"So, do I get something too?" Apple Bloom asked.

"It would make sense, from the experiences of your friends," Rainbow told her. "It'll be fun to find out, won't it?"

Apple Bloom smiled and nodded at that. "Yes, Master, it will."

Author's Note:

Discord | Patreon


I did want to take the opportunity to post this chapter on Halloween since a good chunk of it is still taking place on Nightmare Night. This story is not fully back from its hiatus just yet though I hope it will be soon.

Anyway, Happy Halloween!

PreviousChapters Next