• Published 31st Jan 2020
  • 3,183 Views, 459 Comments

The Master Mev - kazamacat



Rainbow Dash becomes a master magic-eating vampire, forms her pack, and works on managing magic with her new role. Friends help out of course. It's actually kinda awesome, all things considered.

  • ...
8
 459
 3,183

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 70 - Awesome Crusaders


Rainbow Dash and the Cutie Mark Crusaders were surprised to find the entire rest of Team Awesome in the throne room when they arrived to show Amara to Princess Cadance. The pink alicorn princess herself sat in Rainbow's throne as a casual observer.

"What is every mev doing here?" Rainbow asked.

"We know it was hardly necessary for all of us to be here, Master," Rarity began, "but still, we wished it so because it was rather special."

"What was?" asked an even more curious master mev.

"We felt it," Starlight Glimmer announced. "We all felt when the last Crusader bonded with you at the same time yesterday. None of us ever felt the others when they happened, but just as we all sensed a completion of the pack, we sensed a completion of their trio joining our team in full."

The fillies themselves smiled widely at that and hopped up and down together giddily.

"This calls for formality then," Rainbow Dash decided. "Awesomevs, line up as you did when we properly informed Princess Celestia and Princess Luna about our pack."

The fledglings happily obliged.

"Crusaders, you have an order as well." Rainbow pointed to Sweetie Belle, then Scootaloo, then Apple Bloom, "One, two, and three."

They smiled and lined up in their order opposite of the fledglings, feeling officially inducted together.

"You already have a group name through the Cutie Mark Crusaders. When you serve my pack, Team Awesome, you are—naturally—the Awesome Crusaders."

Everyone chuckled but agreed.

"Awesomevs, I give you the Awesome Crusaders," Rainbow Dash declared. Her fledglings bowed together toward the fillies. "Awesome Crusaders, this is my pack, Team Awesome. You know their titles, and you may address them as such, preferably when we are speaking of and dealing with our work to serve this world together."

The fillies' eyes collectively lit up. Even if the restriction was already lifted through Nightmare Night's performance, they still felt honored.

Rainbow Dash listed each fledgling off, and each bowed in the same wave as when the pack name was first chosen. "Primeva Starlight Glimmer, Segunda Fluttershy, Mitria Rarity, Fyra Applejack, Quintaza Pinkie Pie, and Rexa Twilight Sparkle."

Afterward, there was more hoof bumping and hugging between friends. Soon, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie left. Starlight Glimmer and Twilight Sparkle stayed in the throne room. Cadance stood to watch where the Awesome Crusaders chose to sit before selecting a seat for herself. Sweetie Belle took Fluttershy's throne. Scootaloo took Pinkie Pie's, and Apple Bloom took Applejack's leaving Rarity's open for Princess Cadance.

At last, Amara was magically lifted out of Sweetie Belle's saddlebag and placed on the table in her protective case. Rainbow Dash's eyes turned red as she carefully used magic to slide the top open and lift Amara out, placing the mini-heart on the table. The master mev's red eyes turned red-on-yellow, and the heart flickered with light as she spoke.

"Hello?" Amara said to all, just the way Grant did.

"Hello, Amara," Rainbow Dash greeted her.

"Oh Master, it is such a pleasure to hear you address me so," Amara declared. "And Princess Cadance, I am so happy to have you visit me."

"The pleasure is mine as well," Cadance replied. "Is everything okay staying with Master Rainbow Dash?"

"Yes, it is. Rhezenda looks after me, and I have friends through other objects in a similar situation as myself. I've met Grant and Jasper and Pearl."

"Pearl?" Rainbow inquired.

"Oh yes. You did not give her a name, but she knows she's from a pearl, so that's the name she gives the rest of us. She's a little different you know. She has no traces of your mev magic. She said you sucked it all away," Amara explained.

"Oh. Well, I thought it was the right thing to do at the time since I was only borrowing her solidity to help me exchange magic. I had no big plan back then, just sensed I should request something like her so did. Is she offended at all by my choice?" Rainbow Dash wondered.

"No," Amara replied, "she is not. It's just that the rest of us feel like the traces mean something significant, like it links us more strongly to you, so maybe they should be there."

"Point well made. I will consider the matter more on my own time. Please, continue your talk with Princess Cadance," the master mev encouraged.

"There isn't much else for me to say," Amara admitted, "but I wouldn't mind hearing about the Crystal Empire since I exist for it."

Cadance smiled and began to tell Amara of what the place was like. Amara knew, but it was still nice to be reminded. The ruler of the empire spoke of how things were going in general and of her family. Shining Armor and Flurry Heart were in fact playing in one of the guest rooms at the castle. Once both Cadance and Amara were satisfied, Rainbow Dash turned off the object's livelihood and put her back in the display case.

To fulfill her new role, Apple Bloom was sent to invite Shining Armor and Flurry Heart to see Amara in the case since the conversation was over. The earth pony filly was delighted to do so. Shining Armor was still moved by the object's smallness and cuteness. Flurry Heart herself was fascinated and curious. She lifted the object with her magic and could sense that there was something different about the case even if she couldn't understand what. She sensed enough to carefully place it down even if the case itself was sufficient protection for the heart inside.

The visit ended, and the Awesome Crusaders left with the master mev to return Amara to Rainbow's house before moving on with their Saturday as Cutie Mark Crusaders.


Shortly after lunch on Sunday afternoon, Rainbow Dash's group of herself, Starlight Glimmer, Fluttershy, and Discord arrived at the doors of Tartarus. Starlight used her magic to open the door, and a large, black, three-headed dog greeted them.

Fluttershy approached him with a smile and pet at his chin. "Hi Cerberus. We hope that one of the princesses told you to expect us."

Cerberus nodded and turned around to escort them to Tirek's cage. The weakened centaur looked at them with interest behind bars. "Well well well. Discord and two of Twilight Sparkle's friends." In near disgust with a crinkled nose, he pointed at Starlight. "Who are you?"

Starlight only stared back with venom in her eyes.

Discord cleared his throat. "A proper introduction for her in a moment," he offered. "Lord Tirek," the draconequus said to act as an intermediary and gestured specifically at Rainbow Dash's hovering figure, "I present to you Master Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow herself landed to face Tirek, up through the bars of the cage, and waited to see if the magic-eating centaur had anything to say in response first.

Tirek stared at her hard for several seconds. "A master mev?" he asked Discord.

"Correct," Discord confirmed.

Tirek studied the sky blue pegasus all the more. An orb of magic energy appeared between his horns as he tried to eat her magic. A sudden white force thrust him into the back of his cage with a large clang. It had to be the master mev's combined natural protection of general magic immunity and drainage immunity. The centaur coughed, stood up, and dusted himself off. He squinted at the quartet of visitors before at last, he said simply to Rainbow Dash, "Master."

The master mev bowed politely as she said, "Lord Tirek." She stood upright and gestured to Starlight. "This is Starlight Glimmer and you know Fluttershy." Each fledgling mev nodded in turn.

Tirek stroked his chin with interest. He attempted to use his magic to eat from them as well. He was not thrust backward as with the master. Instead, nothing happened. "Your fledglings, I presume," he said.

"They are," Rainbow confirmed.

At last, Tirek decided to target Discord to see what Rainbow Dash would do. With a quick thunder clap, a red lightning bolt shot out from her mouth, disrupting the orb between his two horns. "That's new," Tirek remarked. "And what does a master mev want with me? Trying to take someone else's magic forever? Or perhaps you've already found a way to do that yourself?" the imprisoned centaur asked slyly.

Caught off guard, Rainbow was ready to ask about such a power when Fluttershy placed a gentle hoof on her shoulder. The master mev shook off her curiosity. She took a deep breath. "I've come because my instincts suggest I be here. I've reached a milestone in my growth as a master mev."

"That lightning bolt?" Tirek asked her.

"Yes," Rainbow confirmed with a nod.

The centaur raised an eyebrow at her in deep contemplation.

Rainbow's three companions silently took a few steps back, realizing that though they were allowed to observe the conversation, they were to stay at a distance from it.

"I...can feed you," Rainbow Dash offered. "And as strange as it may sound, I thought maybe...we could be friends."

"Because we both eat magic from living creatures?" Tirek asked, trying to level his tone to not sound too interested or too offended.

Rainbow nodded nervously. "Yeah. Like I said, strange. Just to start from. Hopefully we can find some other common ground later."

"Well, I don't know about being friends Master, but I'd hardly be one to turn down free food," Tirek admitted. "They'll let you?"

"I am restricted in how much I can give, but yes, I can give you something," Rainbow informed him. She opened her mouth and blew out a tiny white orb of magic. It floated toward Tirek. "It's from my flexchange last night."

Tirek ate the morsel offered and licked his lips. "Earth pony," he muttered, "but it certainly is different than most. It has a watery essence to it as well."

"Yes, she does," Rainbow agreed.

"What do the others taste like?" Tirek asked with an interested smile.

Rainbow smiled back. "If I come visit you again, I'll share a different one next time—how's that?"

The other magic-eating creature nodded in acceptance of such an offer. He didn't say anything for awhile, still considering her idea. He wasn't a friendly creature, but he knew the value of having an ally, which was how he convinced Discord to turn on his friends before. Still, she was one of the ponies responsible for putting him in this wretched place, and he wasn't sure about master mevs, having never met one in person before.

"If you need time to think it over, I can come back another day and check in," Rainbow said, pulling Tirek out of his thoughts.

"Hmm? Yes, I think that would be wise," Tirek agreed.

"Very well. Today was just a basic introduction. I'll visit another time to at least feed you," Rainbow said. "Until next time, Lord Tirek," she said with a bow.

As Tirek saw her start to turn around, he quickly called out to her, "Have you gone berserk?"

Rainbow paused and glanced his way.

"Is that how you got that red lightning?" the imprisoned centaur was curious and admitted as much.

Rainbow stopped, considered if she should answer, and eventually decided given the nature of how public it was where it happened, even if all the way in the Dragon Lands, she could tell him. "In a way, yes." With that, she and her companions left.


At Twilight's castle in the throne room, Rainbow Dash, Starlight Glimmer, Spike, and Twilight Sparkle sat at their respective thrones. Rainbow brought out the pearl from her saddlebag and placed it in front of the group.

The master mev's eyes flickered red-on-yellow and instead of waiting for the object to speak first, rainbow herself did so. "Hello Pearl," she greeted.

"Hello Master," Pearl replied, flickering with a glow like Grant and Amara had done before her.

"Amara told me you are the only object in Rhezenda's trunk that has no traces of my mev magic," Rainbow noted.

"Yes. All the others think that's important. I must confess, I myself don't know that it is," Pearl replied. "I've certainly felt plenty connected to you and Rhezenda given how I was used in service directly to you."

"Right. The thing is, all of those other objects are in service to other kingdoms or a specific job that isn't directly to me," Rainbow explained. "As for you, I knew you were magic and that my work involves reserving it or backing it up, so that was the initial reason for my request. I didn't intend to bond with Sweetie Belle the way we eventually did with your help."

"It's certainly not a problem that happened," Pearl noted succinctly.

"That's good to hear," Rainbow replied. "I have decided that what Amara told me is significant and have two of my fledglings with me; one of them is who was with me during my visit to Mount Aris, Rexa Twilight Sparkle."

"Oh, you wish to have someone eat from me again?" Peal realized.

"Yes. Before that, I need to know if you have any objections for any reason. I also want to understand if you work like Grant, who indicated that the magic returns after a week, just as it does from a living creature," Rainbow explained.

"So long as the Magic Pearl itself sustains its magic for the week that I am out, my magic will return. I won't be able to talk to you while it's gone," Pearl said.

"Will you still be able to talk with the other objects? My understanding is that you have all become friends," Rainbow noted.

"My voice will be weaker, but it will be enough," Pearl answered. "After all, I will have the traces of your own magic left behind."

"True," Rainbow agreed. "Do you want a new name?"

"No. The others are so named based on their origin. Pearl suits me just fine in that manner," the tiny piece replied. "As for your initial concern, I have no objections whatsoever."

"Very well then. I'm turning off the liveliness, so that we can move on," Rainbow said.

"Until next time, Master Rainbow Dash," Pearl bid her farewell.

With that, Rainbow Dash instructed Twilight to eat the magic, which the fledgling did. Spike and Starlight left the throne room to find other things to do in the castle. Rainbow and Twilight conducted their usual flexchange and weekly Sunday night reading afterward.

Author's Note:

Discord | Patreon


Casting Call for The Master Mev (Revelation Into Mercury Arc, Chapters 12-20)


This story is back, but the updates might be more like two weeks apart rather than one week. I don't have as much energy for the pictures but still want to do them. I'm also still editing the last 6 chapters. I have added one scene I've been meaning to somewhere in these last 30 chapters. While I probably won't be adding certain other scenes, the possibility still exists. I'll have a better feel for them closer to the final edits and publishing of a chapter.


My Vampire Companion - This story is my current, other active Rainbow Dash vampire story. It is shorter and darker than The Master Mev.

PreviousChapters Next