• Published 9th Aug 2011
  • 1,293 Views, 1 Comments

Recollections - Semolika

  • ...
 1
 1,293

Chapter 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Normal][Sad]

Noah Pace (Semolika)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Princess Luna sat by her sister in a reserved silence as the royal guard pegasi pulled their carriage up towards the shining white and gold towers of Canterlot. Luna gazed up at the capitol city, a blank expression dominating her face. 'Well, I'm here,' she thought. 'After a thousand years, I'm finally here.'

As the royal carriage passed through the intricate city gates, a group of young fillies smiled and bowed. Celestia gave a slight wave, acknowleding the fillies' respect, and once more the carriage was off, heading for the palace.

'My sister's subjects... No, our subjects,' she reminded herself. 'My, this is going to take a while to get used to again... What if they don't like me?'

"Are you excited?"

"Whu- Sister?," Luna breathed.

Celestia was looking down at her with an affectionate smile. "I said, are you excited? I know it must be nice to return to Equestria after so long."

Luna tried to think quickly. "Um, yes, sister. I'm so glad to be home," she said with as much enthusiasm as she could muster. Her moment of hesitation betrayed her true feelings, however.

Celestia's smile grew somewhat smaller, and an edge of concern entered her voice. "Are you sure? You seem a little reluctant. Well, I suppose it is only natural to be scared about something like this. Do not worry, you will feel right at home in no time." And with that, Celestia's smile was back in full force.

Luna gave a weak smile. She looked out at the citizens of Canterlot while the carriage proceeded toward its destination. A white mare with a royal blue mane repeated the same gesture that the young fillies had performed. Unlike the fillies, however, the mare looked up from her bow and stared directly at Luna. She did not say a word, but just stood there and stared. A pair of stallions down the road noticed Luna immediately, and did not even attempt to feign respect. They watched with narrow eyes as the carriage floated past. 'Right,' Luna thought bitterly. 'I'll feel right at home in no time.'

The carriage rose high up into the air, giving its passengers an unparalleled view of the city below. The white and gold streets and buildings seemed to positively sparkle. Heartwarming laughter could be heard drifting up from a school group playing in a pleasant little park. Pegasi soared through the skies, some busily darting back and forth delivering some package or another. In spite of herself, Luna did cheer up a bit. The city was an impressive sight.

"Luna, look. We are here."

Luna's gaze slowly shifted to the structure in front of them. If Canterlot itself was impressive, the palace was something else entirely. Majestic white stone towers and tall, radiant walls curved inward around a large central courtyard. Every surface shone with a bright, radiating light.

It was beautiful... But it paled in comparison to their old castle's former glory.

Celestia's tone said that she understood Luna's concern. "Welcome to your new home, little sister. This palace may not be quite the same as our old castle, but... I believe it will suit your needs."

"Yes," Luna said quietly. "This is very-"

~~~

Luna floated high above the battlements, looking down at the stone walls of the castle below. Tall, spiraling towers sprouted up from the structure, dominating the skyline. Luna grinned. Their castle was wonderful. She slowly lowered herself to the ground in front of a long wooden bridge and looked across the chasm at the front gate. Her sister appeared from inside and stood beneath a stone archway.

"Luna, it is time for dinner!"

"Coming, Tia!"

~~~

"-ay? My sister, do you hear me?"

"What?" Luna blurted out suddenly, snapping back to attention.

Celestia nuzzled Luna's neck affectionately, but her smile was the type that somepony would have when they were worried about somepony else. "Are you okay, Luna?"

"I-It's nothing, sister..."

Celestia waited a long moment before replying. "Luna, you know you can tell me about anything that is troubling you, correct?"

"Y-yes... I'm fine, Tia. Really."

The carriage dropped steadily towards a plaza in front of the castle. They landed with a soft thud, and Luna looked across a long, wide bridge at the palace gate. A guard in traditional golden armor stood to either side of the gate. Luna carefully stepped out of the carriage as her sister did the same.

"Thank you, sirs," Celestia said brightly to their escorts. "You may return to your bunks and rest."

"Thank you, my Princess." With that, the four pegasi that had pulled their carriage flew off in the direction of the barracks.

"The guards are really quite dependable," Celestia stated, turning toward her sister, "but it may take some time before they get used to the fact that they have two princesses to take care of now."

The pair of guards by the gate saluted as the two sisters approached. Luna nodded and smiled meakly, not used to the attention. She and the other alicorn now stood before a large set of golden double doors. At Celestia's signal, the guards tugged on the doorhandles, revealing a grand entry hall.

"Come along now, sister," Celestia said brightly. "I have much to show you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And this is your new bedchamber." Celestia's horn glowed for a moment as she turned the handle and pushed inward.

Luna stepped into the large circular room with her mouth agape. The carpet was a deep, soothing purple. Several magnificient tapestries hung around the room, each embroidered with a crescent moon. A large four-poster bed covered in exquisite purple sheets sat in the center of the room. The rest of the chamber's furniture was positioned along the wall. Luna saw a mahogany writing desk, several drawers, a vanity, and a wardrobe. Everything a princess needed to relax after a long day.

"Oh, Tia, it's perfect!" Luna exclaimed as she entered the room. Perhaps this new palace won't be so bad after all,' she thought hopefully.

Celestia smiled warmly. "Well, I am glad you think so, sister. The view from the balcony is rather impressive as well."

Only then did Luna notice the small glass door leading out onto a private balcony. She turned the handle and stepped outside. She now stood at the top of one of the palace's many spiral towers, looking out over the land of Equestria far below the mountain. She could see several towns in the distance. They looked so tiny from up here. The Sun was almost directly overhead, having just begun its descent toward the horizon. Luna breathed deeply, but suddenly was overcome with a deep sadness.

'What?' Luna asked herself. 'Why do I suddenly feel like-'

~~~

From the balcony of her tower, Luna could easily see over the trees of the Everfree Forest. She shifted her attention to her sister as she performed her royal duty. Celestia flew perfectly vertical, stretching out her long white wings. Her horn glowed brightly as she pulled the massive orb behind her. Silhouetted by the sun, Celestia relaxed her wings and finished her ascent. Her horn returned to its normal state. She turned in midair and faced the Sun, basking in its warmth.

Luna looked back over the trees, towards the nearest town at the edge of the Everfree Forest. It only took a moment before several pegasi rose from the town, stretching their wings and preparing for the day ahead. Equestria was waking up. Luna shut her eyes and turned away from the sight.

~~~

Luna blinked. She turned around and bumped into her sister, who was looking down at her with that same concerned expression. "Luna? ... Are you certain you are alright?"

"I-I'm positive, Tia. Why do you ask?" Luna faked a smile.

"You just seem... Distracted. Please, Luna... If anything is on your mind, we should talk about it."

"No," Luna said simply. "I'm fine."

Celestia's pained expression unnerved Luna a bit. Sure, she wished she could tell Celestia about her visions, but... It would just cause her to overreact. She was fine. Really... Wasn't she?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What may I prepare for you today, my princesses?" the head chef asked humbly.

Luna began to panic. She had not put any real thought into her order. It had been so long since she had enjoyed a proper meal. She decided to simply wait for her sister to order and copy her.

"I believe I would enjoy one of those omelettes I am fond of," Celestia began. "But also... May we have one of those wonderful apple pies? I believe the return of my beloved sister warrants a special treat." Celestia cast a benevolent look at her.

"Excellent choice, my princess." The head chef quickly jotted down Celestia's order on a small notepad. "And what may I get you, Princess Luna?"

"Um, I'll just take what she's having, please."

"Very well. Your meals will be ready shortly."

Luna looked out over the streets of Canterlot. She and her sister were seated at a small round table situated on one of the palace's many balconies. She curiously noted that the city somehow seemed even brighter in the afternoon. At their altitude, a light breeze could be felt.

'I remember that day,' Luna thought, reflecting on her recent vision. 'The day I first began to doubt Tia... The day I grew jealous of her.' Luna tried to push the thought aside, but the bitterness she had felt that day still seemed fresh in her mind. It terrified her.

"I did not know you liked omelettes, Luna."

"Of course I do," Luna said curtly. She quickly realized her mistake. "Sorry, I mean, not really. I just couldn't think of anything else I wanted."

Celestia's brow furrowed in suspicion. "Luna, I understand that you have had a long day, and I am sure you are tired, but now you are genuinely starting to worry me. Why will you not you just tell me what is on your mind?"

Luna stared down at the table, her mind racing. Her sister was obviously not going to let her keep her troubles to herself. Why couldn't she just realize it wasn't a big deal?

"It... It's so petty, and I don't..."

"No, Luna, if something is bothering you so much, it can not be too petty to tell me about."

Luna sighed. "Well, I just... I had this weird-"

~~~

The Princess of the Sun sat across from her at the other end of the long, rectangular table. Luna sat perfectly still, gazing down into her glass of orange juice without a word. Setting her own glass down, Celestia broke the silence.

"Did you enjoy your breakfast, Luna?"

Luna did not respond immediately. "... Yes."

"I am glad to hear it. Now, we have a big day ahead of us. Shall we get started?"

Luna decided to feign ignorance. "What do you mean?"

"The Sun, silly. It is time to raise the Sun."

In a flash, Luna jumped up from her seat and slammed her front two hooves down onto the table. Silverware rattled as the table shook. Luna lifted her gaze and locked eyes with her so-called sister. Celestia looked stunned.

Luna stood there, staring into Celestia's eyes for what seemed like ages. She felt her eyes begin to water. At last, her lips parted, and she choked out a simple statement. "No, Celestia."

"Whu- Luna, you never use my full name. What has gotten into you?"

The Princess of the Moon dropped her head and began to sob quietly. Soon, the tablecloth beneath her was speckled with drops of moisture.

Celestia continued to pry. "My sister, what is wrong? You-"

"I am not your sister!" Luna cried out, her rage escalating even higher. "Do you really think you can call me your sister after everything you've done to me? After everything you've put me through?"

Celestia stumbled for something to say, clearly confused by her bitterness. "But- My si- Luna, what are you talking about?"

"Every day, when you raise the sun, every single pony in Equestria jumps out of bed and starts making something of themselves. They work. They play. They live. But do you know what happens when I raise the moon? Nothing. Everypony goes to sleep. There's nopony to talk to. Nopony to play with." The tablecloth was now soaked in the princess's tears. "Do you have any idea how lonely that is?" Luna's head shot up once more, emphasizing her accusation.

"But not any more," Luna's voice grew dark and foreboding. "They will come to love the night, just as I do. They won't have a choice. And neither will you."

Luna recoiled in shock as she was suddenly stricken with an excruciating headache. Dark purple mist materialized from thin air, engulfing her. Before she could react, she felt herself being pulled away... Pulled back into a deep pit. Something was attacking her... Not physically, but mentally... And it was winning.

The princess collapsed, landing flat on the ground. She felt her own body writhe and contract, but the sensation was dull, as if her entire body had gone numb. Her features began to elongate, and her mane took on an ethereal quality. Her coat darkened to a jet black color. She was being transformed into some twisted mockery of Celestia.

Luna screamed, and was only vaguely aware that no actual sound escaped her lips. The entity had forced her back into the deepest pit of her own mind. She watched in horror as her new body let out a low, cruel laugh. And then...

Darkness.

~~~

Luna gasped and realized she was drenched in cold sweat. Panting heavily, she whipped her head back and forth, trying to gather her bearings. The balcony. She was still sitting at the table on the balcony. Celestia sat at the other side of the table, watching her.

A long silence punctuated the air. Finally, Celestia asked the obvious question. "Luna... What is happening to you?"

"I... I don't know, I-"

~~~


Luna drifted through the black abyss, unable to see her own hoof in front of her face. She soon realized that she didn't actually have hooves any more. The dark entity had taken those from her and forced her into this state... Just a pile of thoughts and emotions floating through nothingness.

From the darkness, a thin, swirling substance appeared. It looked almost like glass, but in some strange gaseous state. Gazing into the substance, Luna could make out vague shapes and sounds. She focused her entire being into the swirling pool, trying to make out the images it was showing her.

Slowly, the vision became clearer, and Luna began to hear voices with reasonable clarity...

"Who or- What are you?"

Luna gasped as she recognized her sister's voice. She was viewing the scene from the dark mare's perspective. Or... Her own perspective. It was so difficult to tell. Three royal guards had entered the dining hall, and were standing beside Celestia with uncertain expressions. They were obviously as confused about Luna's transformation as Celestia was, and were not very keen on the idea of fighting her.

"Me?" the dark mare chuckled softly. "Why, I'm your beloved sister, Luna." The mare grinned triumphantly at the scowl on Celestia's face. "But for now you may call me... Nightmare Moon."

"What do you want... Nightmare Moon?"

"Oh, you know what I want, sister." Nightmare Moon practically spat the last word. "From this day forth, the Sun shall never rise again. The citizens of Equestria will live in my eternal night, and I shall rule them alone. I don't need you any more."

From inside her mind, the remnant of the real Luna gasped. She just wanted a little more attention, not this. This Nightmare Moon, this... Monster... Was going to do the unspeakable. She was threatening to plunge Equestria into eternal night. She was threatening Tia.

'No,' she realized. 'I'm threatening Equestria. I'm threatening Tia.'

'I am the monster.'

An overwhelming wave of guilt swept over Luna. Being forced to listen to her own maniacal plans... It was too much for her to handle.

Celestia waited a long moment before giving her order. "... Seize her."

The three guards galloped forward at full speed, intent on tackling the new threat. Nightmare Moon yawned and casually flicked her etheral mane at them, knocking them back into the wall.

"Really, Celestia, did you think those thugs of yours would be able to stop me?"

Celestia glanced back at her guards. They lay in a heap by the wall, unconscious. "Very well," she muttered as a single tear rolled down her cheek. Her horn began to glow with a brilliant light. The Princess of the Sun was soon encased in a bright, mystical orb. She turned on the spot and galloped through the door, obviously intent on a destination.

Nightmare Moon gave chase and lashed out with her ethereal mane, but her attack was deflected by the bright orb around Celestia. "Some sort of shield?" the dark mare shouted.

Celestia continued her charge, dashing through stone hallways and bright corridors. Nightmare Moon did not relent in her barrage, but her efforts proved futile. Each attack glanced off of Celestia's shield, leaving the princess inside unharmed.

The alicorns charged into a large circular chamber with a ceiling as high as the room was long. Stone pillars lined the walls, circling an intricate stone pedestal in the center of the room. Upon the pedestal sat six small orbs, each glowing faintly.

'Of course,' Luna realized. 'The Elements of Harmony.'

Princess Celestia skidded to a halt in front of the the pedestal and turned back toward Nightmare Moon.

"Luna," the princess said somberly. "If you are still in there, fight back! You do not have to become this monster!"

Nightmare Moon's eyes widened. "QUIET!" the dark mare cried out. Her horn glowed, and the stone pillar nearest her lurched and tore itself from the floor. Dust and debris scattered about on the stone tiles. Pure fury manifested itself on Nightmare Moon's face as she hurled the pillar at Celestia. The princess's shield withstood the impact, but only just. Nightmare Moon continued her assault, ripping up more pillars and tiles. Each she threw directly at Celestia, demonstrating perfect aim. Celestia's shield flickered and faded, until only a thin sparkle of magic remained.

Nightmare Moon seized her opportunity. Shaping the end of her mane into a spearpoint, she jabbed directly into the thin barrier. The shield shattered, leaving Princess Celestia unguarded. Nightmare Moon quickly wrapped her mane around the princess's throat and squeezed tightly. Celestia's horn sputtered and sparked, but her magic had been all but depleted. She tugged desperately at the ethereal mane around her neck, but to no avail. The dark mare let out another cruel laugh and squeezed tighter, choking the life out of the princess.

Inside her mind, Luna was devastated. 'No,' she thought desperately. 'No, no, no, no, NO!!!'

Nightmare Moon paused and let out a small cry of pain. A terrible headache seemed to split her skull in two. She tried to squeeze Celestia's throat tighter, but she found herself unable to summon the willpower. Slowly, she relaxed her grip on the princess and fell to one knee. "What is happening?"

Celestia breathed frantically in an attempt to fill her lungs with air. Not wasting any time, she expended the last insignificant trickle of magic she had left. The Elements of Harmony rose into the air and began to swirl around her. As Nightmare Moon contracted in agony, another tear slid down Celestia's cheek. "My sister," she said in a voice only slightly more audible than a whisper. "Thank you... And... I am sorry."

Though the sun had not been raised, the interior of the castle shone with a blinding light for several seconds. Luna vaguely felt her new body being torn away from the surface of Equestria... Carried off into the blackness of space... The last thing she thought before disappearing completely was simple...

'No, Tia. I'm sorry.'

~~~

Luna opened her eyes slowly. It took her a long moment to realize she wasn't on the balcony any more. A split second later, she was sitting straight up, taking in the details of the room. Dark purple tapestries emblazoned with crescent moons adorned the circular wall, surrounding Luna in her four poster bed.

"My bedchamber," she realized. "I must have passed out..."

The full impact of her memories hit her then. The guilt returned, eating away at her conscience. She had tried to overthrow her sister. She had tried to... Tried to... All the guilt and uncertainty she had experienced throughout the day came crashing down upon her all at once. She now knew what she had to do.

Luna wriggled out from under the covers and stumbled out of bed. A quick glance at her balcony told her that was not an option; there was still about half an hour of daylight left, and somepony would surely see her if she took off from there. Her tiara lay on the vanity by the door, but she ignored it. She quietly cracked the door and peaked into the hallway outside. A patrolling guard was headed down the hallway, away from her. Luna galloped as quickly as she could in the other direction without making any noise. She ran through long corridors and down spiral staircases. Several times she had to duck behind a marble pillar to prevent being spotted by a pair of guards. At last, she spotted an open window looking out over the palace's courtyard. In a flash, she leapt through it and onto the soft grass. Letting out a small sigh of relief, Luna picked herself up and-

"Luna, you are awake!"

Wide-eyed, Luna looked up into the beaming face of her sister.

"I was so worried about you! We were sitting on the balcony when you just collapsed! I had to carry you to your bedchamber on my back. Are you okay? What is happening?" Celestia's questions streamed forth in a seemingly endless torrent. "And," she began uncertainly, "Where exactly are you going?"

Luna bit her lip. Her sister truly seemed worried about her. That meant her inevitable explanation would only be more difficult to get through. "Um... Nowhere, sister, I-"

Celestia saw through her lie. "Luna... Were you trying to run away?"

Luna lowered her head in shame.

"My sister, why would you- What is going on?" Celestia asked compassionately. When Luna pulled away, she softened her tone even further. "Luna, please... I want to help you."

Tears moistened the grass beneath Luna's eyes. "I'm a monster."

"Whatever do you mean, Luna?"

Celestia's motherly tone forced Luna to look up into her sister's eyes. Fine. Time for the truth. "I- I just... Throughout the day I've been having these... These visions." Celestia gazed down at her expectantly. "They were... More like flashbacks, really... Back to when we..." Luna had to choke out the the rest of the sentence. "W-When we lived in our c-castle in the Everfree F-Forest."

Celestia's smile slowly shifted into a somber frown. Luna was amazed to see several tears roll down her sister's cheek. "... Oh."

Luna found that she was unable to stop herself now that she had begun to explain her troubles. "And... And I s-saw it again... When I... Changed. You t-tried to reason with me, but I..." Luna began weeping openly now, dropping her head once more. "I attacked you... I tried to... I tried to kill you."

"No."

Luna gazed back up at her sister, who now wore an affectionate smile even though her cheeks were still moist.

"Luna, I can remember that day just as well as you can. You never tried to kill me. You... You saved me, little sister."

Luna's crying stopped as she expressed her confusion. "What? But I- I was choking you, and..."

"No, Luna. Nightmare Moon was choking me. She would have succeeded, too... But you... You stopped her." Celestia then lay her neck across Luna's and wrapped her hooves around her, pulling her into a warm hug.

Stunned, Luna stood there for a long moment before wrapping her own hooves around Celestia's neck and returning the hug. They stood like that for a long while.

"I know you have been through something very difficult, my sister," Celestia whispered. "But that's all in the past now. You do not have to dwell on it any more. We can start a new life together here in Canterlot."

Luna was crying again, but for the first time in a thousand years, they were tears of joy. "... I would like that very much, Tia."

Celestia gingerly broke the embrace and strode up a gentle incline nearby. At the top of the hill, she lay down in the grass. With a slight tilt of her head, she motioned for Luna to join her. Luna trotted over and lay in the grass beside her sister.

"It will be time for you to raise the moon, soon," Celestia stated simply as she wiped a tear from her cheek with one hoof. "Would you like to watch the sunset with me, dear sister?"

"I would love to."

Luna cuddled closer to her sister as Celestia wrapped a wing around her. There they lay, gazing at the horizon as the Sun completed its daily journey through the sky. The sky was a bright pink.

After several minutes, Celestia nuzzled Luna's mane, causing her to grin widely. "I love you, little sister."

"I love you too, Tia."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ The end ~

Comments ( 1 )

Not bad. I would have liked to see less of the flashback length and more of the reaction/present-time length though. Its more interesting to see how people are reacting to crazy sometimes, and in this case we pretty much knew how the nightmare attack went down. At any rate, a solid oneshot.

Vell done. :coolphoto:

Login or register to comment