• Published 11th Nov 2019
  • 1,583 Views, 96 Comments

Princess Preparatory - Melody Song



Human Alternate Universe where Twilight Sparkle and Mane 6 attend a Princess School. They get past obstacles while falling in love with certain boys.

  • ...
15
 96
 1,583

Explain Yourself

Tempest opened her eyes slowly, and blinked a few times. She brought her hand up to rub her eyes, then sat up. The pain shooting through her body told her the escape hadn't been a dream. As Tempest propped herself up on the pillow she'd been resting on, she got a good look at her surroundings.

"...Obviously in a guest room...but where are Laibah and Siamen...?" as Tempest glanced to her side she laughed softly.

Pharynx was slumped back in a chair, sleeping. Thorax was leaning against him, head on his shoulder, almost falling off the chair. Tempest reached over and poked Thorax-he was closer-gently on the shoulder. Thorax moaned and sat up, then saw her.

"Pharynx!" Thorax shook his brother and Pharynx grunted. He sat up and rubbed his eyes. Then...

"Temp!" Pharynx leaned forward and hugged her. Tempest rested against him. "You scared me." Pharynx admitted.

"I'm okay Phar." Tempest whispered, looking around. "Where are the others? What time is it?"

"They went back to bed, and early morning, by the looks of it." Thorax replied, he had his phone out.

"Yeah, and we all have questions." Pharynx added, looking down at her.

Tempest sighed. "I expected as much. What do you need to know?"

"Tempest." they looked up to see Celestia, Luna, and Ember walking in. "You have a lot of explaining to do." Celestia said coldly.

Tempest nodded, then leaned into Pharynx's arms, closing her eyes. "Okay Tia, I'll tell you whatever you want."

"...Well, that was easier than expected." Luna said

"Yeah, cut the cheesy stuff, let's dive right in." Ember pushed past them, stalking up to Tempest. "Are you a spy?"

"No." Tempest said simply.

"Don't try to lie-"

"Ember." Thorax stood up and pulled Ember in, hugging her. "Calm down."

"Fine." Ember spat, though she still turned to glare at Tempest.

"Tempest, let's try this again." Celestia motioned for Pharynx to stop hugging Tempest, and he complied, though he sat by her side. "Are you a spy? I want the truth, or I will use magic."

"...I'm not a spy, no."

"Then how come the two children who arrived with you said you disappeared for the exact length of our school years?"

"...At first, they were just supposed to be scouting missions, plain and simple." Tempest crossed her arms as though hugging herself and looked away.

"At first?" Luna echoed

"Yes. But...when I got there...you all showed me kindness, respect, and loyalty. Things I had only begun to think of as dreams. So I kept making up things-reasons-to my leader why I needed to go back. He bought them. And he never suspected that..."

"Spit it out." Ember growled

"...That I'd become attached to you. So no, I'm not a spy. That may have been the original intent of my missions but since I never followed through...it doesn't count...right?"

Celestia hummed under her breath. "You said it was your leader, correct? Why would he send you on this kind of expedition?"

"That's why I'm here, Tia." Tempest took the blankets in her hands and twisted them, nervous. "The King, he...he decided that this last 'mission' was going to be my last. He had no reason for me to return next semester, and...I was never going to get to see you all again."

"Temp..." Pharynx reached and took her hand, but Tempest pulled it away.

"Why didn't he need you to return?" Luna asked

"...Because he had everything he needed. He obtained it without my help, I only provided knowledge I deemed safe or insignificant enough to not pose a threat towards you. I did this by pretending each time I came, you were untrusting and didn't accept me as one of your own. That you only disclosed so much information. However, it seems he's grown impatient. When I returned, I was called to him, and...he told me his master plan."

"Which was?" Thorax asked softly. Tempest swallowed a lump in her throat and continued.

"In short...stealing the magic of the surrounding Kingdoms, and forcing you to bow to his will."

"What?!" they all cried. Ember jumped up and stepped towards her.

"And you supported that?!"

"No!" Tempest moved away from her. "I didn't know, I promise! You have to believe me!"

"Ember, think logically. If Tempest only heard of this...I would assume yesterday, then she couldn't have supported it." Luna said "Besides, if she's here, how exactly could she support it?"

Ember sighed and sat back down. Once everyone had relaxed again, Tempest continued.

"I had no idea what he was planning to do, or else I would have warned you the second we became friends. When I heard what he was planning, he told me to name the kingdoms, the territory they occupy, and where they were on the map-by cardinal direction. After I did as he asked, he told me he'd have no need for me to continue my missions. I think he was starting to figure out my true intentions."

"Is that when you were attacked?" Pharynx asked, reaching and touching the bandage on her arm.

"This...was due to a foolish mistake." Tempest touched the bandage too. "I take it you met Laibah and Siamen?"

"Yes, they told us about your 'missions' and your role in helping them."

"Yesterday, when I returned, I found them and gave them some food I'd taken from the school kitchens-just some bread and cheese. I told them to meet me in the castle gardens a few hours after my arrival home. After the 'briefing' my King decided to give me, I went down to the kitchens to take some things. As one of the King's most trusted knights, I had grown accustomed to being able to take what I wanted. I slipped up, and one of the chefs saw through my lie. He called for the guards, and since I'd already grabbed food, he accused me of stealing."

"That's why we found food in your bag." Pharynx said

"Yes. The guards chased me, and when it was clear I was betraying the King, they began to fire. I'm sure they just thought I was stealing food to take with me-as a deserter. They hit me in the leg and the arm...they got my cheek too, but that was less critical. Those guards are really bad at their jobs and for once I was grateful."

"So where did you find the kids?" Thorax asked

"In the chase, I forgot all about Laibah and Siamen. I glimpsed them hiding behind a bush in the gardens but I knew I should lead the chase away from them. But they apparently followed me, because as I was running down the street, Laibah called for me and pointed to where Siamen was waiting behind some barrels. I ran past them, yelled out one last stand of defiance, then Siamen pushed the barrels."

"How could he have known that would work?" Celestia asked

"...The Shadow Lands aren't the friendliest place. Some gangs enjoy tarring and feathering poor people. Siamen and Laibah were lucky enough to be spared, but they've witnessed it happening before. They've also aided those who weren't so lucky, bringing the person water and trying to help get the tar off them. Siamen knew those barrels would help because they're the barrels the tar is in."

"The poor things..." Luna whispered

Tempest nodded, then continued. "I thanked them and was about to leave, but Laibah stopped me. She said they wanted to come with me, and I couldn't exactly deny them. They deserve a chance to grow up loved and protected. And they were too sweet to stay in the Shadow Lands. Criminals belong there, not children. Besides, there was nothing left for them there. Their father had abandoned them a long time ago and three years ago their mother died."

"How do you...?"

"They told me. Well, Siamen told me. He's so little, but he's seen so much already."

"So you came here." Celestia said

"I knew you probably wouldn't help me after I explained but I needed to warn you. The Shadow Lands doesn't have good internet, so I couldn't call. But I knew you were all coming here. But it got cold fast, and with the injury to my leg I couldn't walk right. Laibah had to help me at some points."

"Don't worry Temp, you're safe now." Thorax said, looking at the others.

"Yes, we can't exactly blame you for anything. You knew nothing of your King's plans before now and you did seem genuine when you told us of your missions." Luna agreed

"...Tempest...what did you mean that 'we showed you respect'?" Pharynx asked suddenly.

"That you didn't mock me for being a female and that you allowed me to be myself. You also respected my position as a Head Knight."

"Alright Tempest, we believe you. Now, Ember, Thorax, I think you should arrange transportation home to your Kingdoms, to be safe. Tempest, you should rest."

"I wouldn't be too concerned about my leader just yet Tia. He's a bit...crazy...not in the mental sense, but...he has this habit of stewing over things for a while. I'd give him about three weeks just to calm down about my escape, and two more to continue his plans. I only meant to warn you to be ready when the time comes. He is nowhere near ready to attack yet, he still needs an artifact to finish his plan."

"He needs an artifact?" Ember asked

"Yes, the Staff of Sacanas. He was unclear about it's abilities, but he was very frustrated he hadn't managed to locate it."

"Strange that he needs an artifact and it just so happens the greatest treasure hunter we've met attends our school..." Luna said

"I didn't tell him about the students-he doesn't care about their kingdoms anyway. I'm under the impression he thinks they will be more compliant once the three most powerful kingdoms are under his rule."

"Very well." Celestia said, turning to the other leaders. "You may stay if you wish, but tell your subjects to be on guard."

"Of course I'm staying. Now that we know she's not a spy we need to make sure Temp's okay." Ember said

"I agree. Besides, Pharynx probably wouldn't leave anyway." Thorax said

"Hey!" Pharynx cried, and the others shared a small laugh

Tempest giggled, then leaned up and kissed Pharynx on the cheek. He froze and turned to look at her. Tempest smiled and hugged him around the neck. Celestia and Luna, with knowing grins on their faces, ushered the others out to give the two some privacy.

"Well...this is new." Pharynx said

"I know. Just...thank you for believing me." Tempest murmured

"Of course. You're a good person Temp. You'd never do something like that without reason, I know it."

Tempest hesitated, the words coming back again. "You're not a hero."

"No."