• Published 7th Oct 2019
  • 4,016 Views, 617 Comments

The Substitute Librarian - Georg



When the Mane 6 are away, somepony has to mind the store. And the orchard. And the library. This one has to fill in for Twilight Sparkle. The poor guy.

  • ...
11
 617
 4,016

22. The Memoria of the Mountain Mare

The Substitute Librarian
The Memoria of the Mountain Mare


... slightly earlier

It was strange when Harmony slowed her pace down the stairs to take a short but intent glance at Emerald’s rear. The direct observation felt just ever so slightly like he was back in Canterlot at one of the elite parties his parents kept dragging him to, but did not dent his cheerful mood. Thankfully, she did not look as if she were figuring out what parts of him she would need to change after the wedding, but was considering a more serious topic, made only more obvious by her next question.

“I’ve seen many cutie marks, but none like yours. How does it relate to your special talent?”

Complimenting a griffon on her smooth feathers was a sure way to make her push out her chest and fluff up like a happy puffball. Asking Emerald about his favorite subject worked much the same way, only with more talking.

“I got my Mark at Celestia’s school as a volunteer assistant during entrance exams,” he admitted not-so-reluctantly. “I was helping the young students awaiting their turn, including my little sister. They were all understandably nervous, so I talked to them and calmed them down, got them focused, and helped them practice their magic a little before they went into the testing room. When the last one went inside, I found out I had this.” He wriggled his rump, which made the small white bits of fur around his stubby unicorn horn Mark move as if it was actually casting a failed spell.

“So your Mark is in foalsitting?” she asked.

“Teaching,” countered Emerald. “That was about… Oh, ten years ago. The students spread the word to their friends, and I had young unicorns asking for my help with their magic ever since. I’ve even helped a few young pegasi, but no earth ponies yet. I lost track of how many cutie marks I’ve seen since then. I don’t actually give Marks,” he quickly added. “Nopony can. The students get them on their own. I just give them a little nudge in the right direction.”

“You’ve been doing this on your own for ten years,” said Harmony. “Have you been injured?”

“Just once, and nothing serious. Being a geranium for an hour or so is oddly relaxing, but young unicorns normally don’t have the magical field depth to maintain a transformation for very long.” He stopped on the stair landing so he could touch one ear and fold it forward. “See. There’s always the danger of nibbling, but you can hardly see the bite. That’s one of the reasons I love teaching children. I’ve heard so many horror stories from other unicorns who had something terrible happen to ponies around them when they managed their first spell. Something like that can scar somepony for life, and since I’ve gotten so good at avoiding injury, it would be a disservice to not help the children with their early magic.”

Taking a few steps around the landing to stretch his aching tendons, Emerald looked around the vast open space of the stairwell with a deep breath. “Teaching is a lot like today has been so far. There’s a dangerous surprise you can never expect around every corner, but it’s worth it in the end. You see, young unicorns who are just coming into their magic have no idea what they can’t do, so that first magical burst can be more powerful than adults can ever manage. That’s one reason my parents are so set against my career, I suppose. Magic is dangerous.”

“Yes.” Harmony thought on her words for a few moments and added, “I may never understand it. I’ve found it complicated and frustrating, also quite dangerous at times, but worth the effort so far.”

“Like mares,” said Emerald with a nod. “Or Twilight Sparkle, who is both a mare and quite dangerous.”

“I thought you were willing to face danger to protect unicorns from their own uncontrolled magic,” said Harmony. “Twilight Sparkle is a unicorn who would benefit from somepony to calm her down and give her a little nudge—”

Not on my checklist,” said Emerald, turning for the next set of downward stairs. “Twilight Sparkle has her friends for that, and a young dragon. Besides, how in the world could a mere earth pony protect the most powerful unicorn in Equestria?”

His light source did not move, so Emerald paused at the top step without heading down into the inky darkness where most likely he would trip and roll all the way to the bottom of the mountain. Harmony looked at him with a peculiar tilt to her head, glittering in the illumination of her horn like a collection of precious jewels and not saying a word.

“You think my Mark might protect me from magic?” he asked after a time. “It… could be. It would explain a lot, but I want to teach young unicorns their first magic, and I don’t want to work in my father’s magical widget factory. Those are my decisions, and my Mark has nothing to do with them.”

“Perhaps,” admitted Harmony as she moved forward and the two of them began descending the stairs again.

* * *

The grass under his chest was softer than a mattress and Sun was comfortable on Emerald’s bare back, with a cool spot where his saddlebags blocked the blessed warmth. Alas, it could not last. Muscles that he had never known existed protested in vain when Emerald pulled himself up, but it was afternoon Sun, and there was still quite a distance to walk before he reached the Ponyville train station.

“Up, you lazy bum, before you sunburn your rear,” he muttered, getting his aching legs centered under his body, then turning to face his objective. “Got my book,” he confirmed with a quick peek into his saddlebags, “and closed the door behind me so the city doesn’t track me down and fine me. Should have enough bits for the train back to Canterlot, so all that’s left is a short, flat walk through Ponyville over there.”

There was a faint cloud of dust rising from said town, with the feminine cry of “I want it!” drifting on the breeze.

“Or better yet around the town so I don’t meet anypony before I reach the station.” He eyed the cloud of dust. “Quickly.”

A few stretches helped calm the red-hot wires of stressed tendons from the awkward trip down the lengthy dark staircase, but there was no firefly lantern in his immediate vicinity no matter how hard Emerald looked.

“It has to be here somewhere,” muttered Emerald, checking behind a low clump of grass. “I remember having a light source on the stairs. I had to be using a light or I’d still be creeping down one step at a time. Maybe…”

For just a moment, Emerald thought of a glowing Crystal unicorn with him in the pitch-black staircase, but he gave his empty head a shake to clear it of the cotton wool clogging it. “No, there’s no imaginary library ghost in the mountain like I told the children in Ponyville. Don’t be stupid. I’ve got things to do back at school, so I better get to it.”

Emerald took one last look at the row of thick wooden doors which were all securely closed, and none of which had the Canterlot Archives rental lantern coincidentally sitting nearby. Twenty more bits down the infinite hole of his educational expenses, and the fine would only grow the longer he sat here, so Emerald started a brisk, pained trot in the direction of a path around the nearby town and to the train that would take him back to his life in Canterlot.

He never noticed the glow around his cutie mark slowly fade while he traveled.