• Published 7th Oct 2019
  • 4,000 Views, 617 Comments

The Substitute Librarian - Georg



When the Mane 6 are away, somepony has to mind the store. And the orchard. And the library. This one has to fill in for Twilight Sparkle. The poor guy.

  • ...
11
 617
 4,000

13. Snakes in a Library

The Substitute Librarian
Snakes in a Library


“Mares are not permitted in the fraternity!” snapped the familiar voice of Housemother Flamersham, penetrating through Emerald’s thick head and pulling back the fog of sleep enough for him to stumble out of his comfortable bed. The ‘Flam Alert’ was one of his responsibilities, because when one of his frat brothers got caught sneaking a mare into their bedroom, it was normally only Emerald’s diplomatic skills—and big blue eyes, he suspected—that could calm the indignant mare.

“Oh!” sounded her voice again, much less aggravated. “The Royal Guard! Right this way. Beg pardon, sir. I didn’t realize—”

Officer Grace came through Emerald’s half-open bedroom door with brisk strides, leaving the gold-armored unicorn out in the hallway. Both of them looked less than happy at their current location, and Grace produced a rolled-up scroll with a flourish of her magic, holding it directly in front of his nose and speaking in short, sharp words.

“Your mail, sir.”

Ever so slowly, Emerald turned his head to look at the window and the darkness beyond, then back to look at Grace’s stern expression. “Can it wait until breakfast? Ouch!” He rubbed his nose and cringed away from where the policemare was raising the rolled-up message in her magic to hit him again. “Okay, I get it. You don’t have to—”

With the message in-hoof, Emerald took a moment to really look at the fussy policemare and the stern Royal Guard standing right outside his door, from tiny flecks of food decorating both of their muzzles to a certain amount of mussed hairs on each of their coats.

Plus, Grace was not wearing her uniform, which Emerald thought might have been a second skin for her. And she was wearing a string of pearls, quite formal for a midnight visit to…

“Oh,” he said before continuing much slower and casting a longer look at the stern stallion. “I’m sorry for interrupting your date, Mister…?”

“Lieutenant Kudzu,” snapped Grace. “And it wasn’t a date. We were merely… Open your letter,” she finished with a threatening growl.

He did. Then Emerald looked at the single line of writing inside, which had been inscribed so hard there were scratch lines in the paper, and the thick letters smudged.

WHERE IS THE SNAKE!

He wanted to laugh.

After due consideration, it did not seem like a very wise reaction.

He got out his quill and settled down at the desk instead. In his opinion, he wound up writing quite a thoughtful, clear, obvious letter, describing the circumstances behind the sign he had accidentally left on Twilight Sparkle’s door—without Trixie, of course—and ending with the most sincere apology and promise that there had been no snake, was no snake, and would never be a snake inside the library, ever, because he was afraid of snakes too.

Grace took the letter from him when complete, made a few tiny corrections, then rolled it up and took it with her when she strode away, back down the frat house stairs, and out into the night, followed by the impassive Royal Guard.

And Emerald went back to sleep with a smile.