• Published 29th Jun 2019
  • 859 Views, 29 Comments

Terror Puppet - Windrunner



One usually finds Celestia in the throne room. She seems a bit odd, today.

  • ...
3
 29
 859

Puppetry

'

"Sister dear, why does that one stay back from the fighting even now?" Luna asked Celestia. It was obvious which one she meant. That abomination claiming to be War itself. So far It made no move to enter the now frantic battle, and kept the silhouette of her once dear friend just within viewing distance. Toying with her perhaps? It was an abysmal thing to do. Great lengths must have been taken to exhume her remains, but to dress her in the once proud garb of the E.U.P. was a step so vile it defied any type of reasoning. Were the masterminds behind all of this ever truly ponies at all? It almost did not seem possible. Celestia felt her heart sink as their allies fought desperately at pace to keep the puppeted dead at bay.

The pain of this was unbearable and she shuddered visibly, startling Luna somewhat.

"Sister.." Luna offered her support.

"No..I am alright.." Celestia sounded calm, but that belied such inner turmoil it could only be a front.

"They seek to hurt me, and they hurt me over and over again. This is nothing but pointless cruelty at this point. Whatever is driving it lay far from this battlefield. See how they keep her just within sight but give no real opportunity for me to end this?" It became abundantly clear suffering was their prize in this. Her pain was desired. Luna shook her head sadly.

Pain for those dying around her. Pain for the past and now present. Where did she go so wrong? To want for love and companionship like any other and it came to this in the end? She wanted nothing more than to lay down and cry, but now was not the time. Those who relied on her for a millennia were looking to her for aid and leadership as always.

"They have made mockery and abomination of dear friends and those held in esteem. This is a sickness of the soul. What else could it be? To hold heroes and idols of value as little more than toys disgusts me." Luna was truly angered by this state of affairs. To the northeast of the town one of the dragons was being swarmed by puppets even as it clawed and swiped away.

"I must go to their aid." Luna looked to her sister who only nodded. She took to the air rapidly. Celestia found herself almost seeing the battle playing out in slow motion. Despite the noise and ferocious din of combat for a moment it was nearly soundless to her. Her eyes could not help but wander to that sick construct made of somepony she once appointed personally. A distant view, just enough to distress and concern. Celestia took several deep breaths. As the enemy held back, so did they. That one was unique, and behind it something more powerful still. Where that power stemmed from no longer mattered. It was here and sooner or later it would have to be dealt with in a fight to determine the future of all.

Twilight spoke from above on another raised command platform, Starlight standing aside her. Binoculars at the ready.

"I realize you know this, but I feel it must be said. That thing is not War, no matter what claim it lays. Nor is that puppet your friend. She is surely at rest as she ever was. You are Princess Celestia, and we need you here.. I need you here and in the moment my friend." Twilight spoke calmly and assuringly to her dear mentor. Celestia almost seemed struck by this display of emotion.

"I..of course. I can deal with the pain later. Trust me, I am aware." Celestia replied with a bit more confidence that was lacking lately.

"They seem to be fighting twice harder than before.. focusing on the dragons of course. How many puppets can possibly be left? By my best estimate they must also be near breaking point. If we can just outlast them and.. find a way to defeat that thing out there." Twilight glanced at Starlight and around to different areas. Naturally the heaviest fighting was centering around the largest of the three dragons. Silly as it might seem they almost appeared to need protection. The best pony forces could do was try to funnel the puppeted dead in a line so the dragons could rain truly punishing blows down on them. The overall battle was a mess of running fights spilling into the streets as the best was done to stop them from advancing.

"Starlight, how you holding up? Are you going to be alright?" Twilight asked her protege. Starlight looked pained and battered from before and perhaps a little shaky.

"Like Celestia said. I'll deal with the pain later. Right now there is a war to be fought and won." It was a bold statement.

"Darn right there is!" Rainbow Dash said from the side. She was taking a quick breather along with her own squad and happened to be nearest to here. A place of relative safety for the moment.

"Good to see you're still with us. How are you holding up?" Celestia asked Dash.

"Fighting is really bad all along the line. They just keep coming and it feels like every time we take one out two more step in. All heading for those dragons. The dragons are actually getting hurt. They must really want them out of the picture!" Dash explained and her squad all murmured their agreement that was the case.

"This is getting totally insane." Starlight did her best to put on a brave face, but it was very difficult with things getting so horrible. Magic of any and every nature was being thrown every which direction from both sides. This situation by itself presented dangers almost never encountered before. The intensity could be felt.

"Maybe.." Celestia's voice cracked a little.

"Maybe we should have taught more battle magic to the guard..maybe.." She stumbled over her words a little. Twilight looked at her with concern.

"Celestia, that is not who we are. We are all fighting because we have to. Not because we desire war or death, but peace. I am certain every one of the royal guard would agree if they were not needed at all it would be fine by them. They love you. We all do." Twilight smiled at her.

"Thank you, Twilight." Celestia coughed a little and looked at the solar guards arrayed behind her, ready to jump into action at any time by her command.

"Guards, hear me. If by my life or death I can stop this madness I will do so without delay. This I promise to you on my own soul. As you are with me, I am with you. I give you my thanks for being here with me today. You are truly the best of us. Let us march forward to victory, together!" The guards cheered as Celestia raised her hoof and motioned to follow her. Celestia must have some plan in mind.

"Good luck." Twilight mouthed as she watched them heading directly for where War was standing in wait outside of the battle. They were going to fight their way there. Maybe a distraction? A Feint? Twilight did not know. It was coming down to the wire now.

---

A soul of rage that grows and builds, it takes not on a life its own when yours is what it wants